Tabatha's Salon Takeover

• Please log in to reply

2395 replies to this topic

beezer

beezer

Stalker

Posted Apr 5, 2012 @ 6:29 AM

Yikes a roonie. HMMMM, what a loony mess.

Word to everything. The lack of breakfast was one thing, though yeah, how hard is it to even go splash out $10 a day when there are guests in residence on breakfast pastries if you can't cook, and pair them with what I got the impression was fruit from trees in the yard. Even if they just put out fresh, whole mangoes, oranges, etc., in bowls, few boxes of cereal with jug of milk, maybe a bowl of hard-boiled eggs, pot of coffee and jug of juice, it'd have been at least acceptable. Not much harder to also throw out a toaster, bread, box of decent frozen waffles and butter, jam, syrup and leave people to it to add a minimal hot-ish option.

The fresh fritatta and muffin spread the place Tab took them to was very nice, platters of eggs and etc., would be nicer, but the other place was nearly twice the price of theirs. I think a basic but plentiful cereal, fruit, toaster with waffles and breads, type spread would be perfectly acceptable in their price range if it was fresh, clean, and nicely presented. They wouldn't even have to do much of anything to maintain it, just put stuff out in the morning and clean it up later.

However, to have someone cooking fresh breakfast food that people can smell and then sit and eat it in the guests' presence and view and not offer the same to them?! It's rude whatever the circumstance (save some strange, special dietary thing). Just bizarre that she didn't seem to get that at all.

For all her talk about hanging out and dining and partying with the hoi polloi at high-end events and establishments you'd think she'd have picked up some manners along the way.

There is no way someone who had a newspaper column didn't learn to type. What kind of Hollywood parties would that scary-looking old woman be invited to?

This absolutely happens. I know someone (not this lunatic) - not even a decade ago and younger than Diane - who had syndicated columns and did not type. She also didn't seem to be much in touch with the denizens of Earth, but she did actually interview internationally-famous people and hand in legal-pad pages with handwritten notes and articles on them. That part of Diane's story, I didn't even blink.

I didn't understand something about the cleaning - if there's an explanation besides she's just a pig. I get the fee to clean daily but Tab found that hair inside the made bed in the supposedly turned over room. So were people supposed to pay the $10 for the room to be cleaned before they arrived or was it just that they don't clean regardless?

joanne3482

joanne3482

Fanatic

Posted Apr 5, 2012 @ 8:45 AM

I did feel badly for Diane in that she didn't seem to have any private space except her bedroom. The B&Bs I've stayed in have all been set up where there was some private space for the owners/managers which usually included the kitchen. Now since apparently the guests were fending for themselves for the 'breakfast' aspect, they needed access to the kitchen but having that as a private area would have alleviated the guests coming in and practically begging for food. (Of course, having food available and offering them some would too!) I can also see how they wouldn't want to just have big pans full of hot food out growing cold, but with only 8 customers max, they could have gotten away from the buffet and just done a cook to order kind of deal. While I admit anything is better than next to nothing, somehow B&B implies real breakfast to me whereas I would expect to see cereal and fruit at a motel that advertises 'continental' breakfast. But that could be just because that's been my B&B experience.

I didn't understand something about the cleaning - if there's an explanation besides she's just a pig. I get the fee to clean daily but Tab found that hair inside the made bed in the supposedly turned over room. So were people supposed to pay the $10 for the room to be cleaned before they arrived or was it just that they don't clean regardless?

There's got to be some kind of law mandating at least a minimal cleaning between guests (new sheets and towels). I just think that the housekeeper/cook was overwhelmed since she seemed to be their private chef and housekeeper too. Nobody probably helped her clean the rooms so she did a rush job. It could have been her own hair that got into the bed. I know I shed all the time. (I can't remember if it was a blonde or brown hair).

psychoticstate

psychoticstate

Fanatic

Posted Apr 5, 2012 @ 10:56 AM

I did feel badly for Diane in that she didn't seem to have any private space except her bedroom.

Dianne should have taken the ground floor bedroom (currently used for guests) as her own. That way, the upstairs would have been designated for guests and she could have more of a separate area for herself. And she wouldn't have to worry about anyone walking on the ceramic tile or stone with heels.

built

built

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 5, 2012 @ 11:28 AM

Best.Episode.Ever.

runningoutofnam

runningoutofnam

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 5, 2012 @ 7:18 PM

And she wouldn't have to worry about anyone walking on the ceramic tile or stone with heels.

That stone was the steps on the staircase. Being on the ground floor wouldn't help.

misterbfd

misterbfd

Fanatic

Posted Apr 5, 2012 @ 7:36 PM

There's got to be some kind of law mandating at least a minimal cleaning between guests (new sheets and towels). I just think that the housekeeper/cook was overwhelmed since she seemed to be their private chef and housekeeper too. Nobody probably helped her clean the rooms so she did a rush job. It could have been her own hair that got into the bed. I know I shed all the time. (I can't remember if it was a blonde or brown hair).

The hair could also have been transferred from the bed spread, regardless of where it was actually found (or possibly placed or possibly relocated for TV). As you probably already know thanks to so much recent publicity about the subject, most hospitality businesses with beds do not launder or change the bed spreads, even between guests. Many only change/launder them on a schedule that is measured in months.

scruffy73

scruffy73

Fanatic

Posted Apr 5, 2012 @ 8:31 PM

The hair could also have been transferred from the bed spread, regardless of where it was actually found (or possibly placed or possibly relocated for TV). As you probably already know thanks to so much recent publicity about the subject, most hospitality businesses with beds do not launder or change the bed spreads, even between guests. Many only change/launder them on a schedule that is measured in months.

I always wondered how often they changed/laundered the bed spreads and now I'm sad that I have found out. When I'm in a hotel I don't need to get my sheets changed every day - hell, I don't change my sheets at home every day - but I would have liked to believe that they changed the bed spreads between guests.

I cannot imagine what Dianne and crew did to change beds over. Is the $10 maid fee daily? If they paid it did that mean their beds were made, bathroom cleaned? What exactly does it buy? What if it is not paid? Do the rooms just not get turned over during their stay or after they leave? It bothers me a great deal.

As far as Dianne needing her own space...too bad. She picked the lay-out, where she slept, and as owner she chose how and when the customers would be serviced. Like Tabatha said, how janky is it that the cook would be cooking breakfast for Dianne and then the customers would have to cook for themselves? Damn them for assuming the food they smell cooking is available for them as well. And why in the hell can't Dianne cook her own damn food if she expects that her guests must? Geez, I can't with Dianne.

Kali12

Kali12

Fanatic

Posted Apr 5, 2012 @ 9:01 PM

Also, if you're being charged $10 extra for maid service, I bet many people don't leave a daily tip for the housekeeper. So Dianne gets the $10, and the overworked housekeeper gets...nothing.

dreamcoat11

dreamcoat11

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 5, 2012 @ 9:23 PM

While I can believe that there were issues with that B&B, I'm betting the owner's attitude was a total put-on to try and get the publicity and free make-over for the place. She was completely out in la-la land and then suddenly "got it" at the last minute? Went from going out to "parties" every night to staying in and hanging out with the guests? I don't buy it.

I also thought the daughter seemed to only want the place to succeed because she wanted the house someday, and the more her mother pays off now, the less she'll have to pay off when she inherits.

peachbeserk

peachbeserk

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 6, 2012 @ 12:11 AM

I think Dianne was trying to do a cut rate version of a great place called Villa Delle Stelle. It is also in an old Spanish style house in Los Angeles, but it is extremely attractive and lavishly and professionally decorated and has connections to celebrities. It is owned by one of Dudley Moore's former wives, and one of the suites has a baby grand piano he once owned.

While no breakfast is served, a welcome bottle of wine and cheese and bread is in the suite along with a nice note and a gorgeous arrangement of fresh flowers.

I've stayed in 55 different B&Bs, and more often than not, the owners either have another house or a section of the house that is for their use only. But one of my favorite B&Bs is in Tucson, and there are only two suites. You choose which one you want, and the owners stay in the other. Their clothes and other personal items are in a closet accessible just to them.

It is a fabulous way to experience a place, and I've only encountered one owner who clearly didn't like people and was probably just trying to make extra money like Dianne.

Dianne could really play up the stories of hanging with the likes of the Rolling Stones, etc. Each room could be an homage to a group. She is really missing out on capitalizing on her past. Most people who stay in B&Bs want to have interaction with other guests and the host, so she needs to accept that or pull out the welcome mat.

And can we get a crossover show with Stacy and Clinton to do a makeover? Gosh, she is frightening to look at. Every time she talked about going to parties, I pictured the card games with Buster Keaton and the other faded stars William Holden called the wax figures in Sunset Boulevard.

only1kcm

only1kcm

Fanatic

Posted Apr 6, 2012 @ 10:25 AM

Every time she talked about going to parties, I pictured the card games with Buster Keaton and the other faded stars William Holden called the wax figures in Sunset Boulevard.

Ha ha ha...you guys have been killing me with the Norma Desmond references! (They're funny 'cause they're true.) And a definite YES to the Jane Scott references (hometown girl!); Dianne couldn't hold a candle to Jane.

The thing that bugged me most about this episode was what was up with the 180 change? First she's dissing Tabs at every opportunity, then, Blam! Tabs is the best thing ever. It was weird and didn't feel natural, like last week's did. I would love to know the story on that one...

Kali12

Kali12

Fanatic

Posted Apr 6, 2012 @ 11:07 AM

I don't think Diane was putting Tab on with her clueless character. Unless she is an actress of Gloria Swanson-like talent; those vacant looks whenever Tabatha told her something would be hard to fake on the spot.

But ITA she's missing a bet by not building the decor around her past with bands and celebs and The Reporter. She could be "quite a character" as proprietress, if she just glammed up a bit a la her faded past and developed a friendly manner. (And a -real- B&B--with cleanliness and breakfast of some sort).

Most people who stay in B&Bs want to have interaction with other guests and the host, so she needs to accept that or pull out the welcome mat.

I didn't understand why Tabatha didn't focus more on Nicole. She wanted to inherit the house (maybe/maybe not the business), which would be worth well over $1 mill. but it seemed Diane was doing her business, basically, to be able to afford the mortgage and property tax. I'll bet reservations have been very slow prior to this show.

Anyway, it seemed to me that Nicole could have been more involved, including guest-interface (and hyping up her mother's past to them). I guess she only was there on the weekend, but...even so. If she wants to inherit the house, she probably needs to do a lot more with the business.

Fun episode, though, and I didn't miss the salons.

chainey

chainey

Fanatic

Posted Apr 6, 2012 @ 11:41 AM

If the mom's only asset is the house and it seemed like it was it will probably have to be used in some way to finance Diane's care in the not so distant future. The daughter shouldn't count on a thing.

LaffyTaffy

LaffyTaffy

Fanatic

Posted Apr 6, 2012 @ 1:27 PM

While I admit anything is better than next to nothing, somehow B&B implies real breakfast to me whereas I would expect to see cereal and fruit at a motel that advertises 'continental' breakfast. But that could be just because that's been my B&B experience.

I agree. It's one thing to have a continental breakfast at a Days Inn, but usually people who favor B&B's do so because of the ambience. For God's sake, breakfast is the easiest meal to cook. I get that they don't want to do a huge buffet because of their limited number of guests. But all they have to do is a simple cook to order menu which could include eggs, toast, bacon/sausage and fruit. Set out a small tray of pastries and you're done, easy peasy.

I love how the daughter made no secret of the fact that the only reason she wants the place to survive is so she can get the house once Mom kicks the bucket.

Pache

Pache

Fanatic

Posted Apr 6, 2012 @ 2:02 PM

Considering I got the feeling that Dianne paid as much attention to Nicole as she did to her business, why wouldn't Nicole want the house. Dianne struck me as the type who had worked all day and gone to parties all night all her life. I don't remember how long they owned the house, but if Nicole grew up there, she would be attached to the house. It wasn't like she was sitting around somewhere else and not doing a darned thing to keep the B&B afloat. She was working there and apparently trying to tell her mother how things needed to be changed, while Dianne blew her off. I don't think Nicole lived in the house, so it's not like she was getting free room and board out of the place.

Plus whether Nicole wants to inherit the house or not, if Dianne loses it then she may well expect Nicole to let her move in with her. There was a lot of discussion about the beauty school owner's daughter not wanting him to move in with her. He seemed sweet and nice. Can you imagine Dianne and her DELIGHTFUL personality living with you 24/7? I felt for Nicole she seemed very stressed.

RainIsBeautiful

RainIsBeautiful

Stalker

Posted Apr 6, 2012 @ 5:40 PM

From the previous episode:

The episode itself was too boring; I had more fun spotting the QuikTrip next door in nearly every outdoor shot, as I go to that QT way too often for my own good! (And I wondered why they didn't blur out the corporate logo, or that of the more popular day spa downstairs.) Wish I'd known that Tabatha was in my neighborhood, as I'd love to shake her hand or dish some dirt with her.

Same here - and we're neighbors! I really loved this episode because of the establishing shots and how pretty Vinings looks. (And yes, the spa downstairs is great!)

The finale was a hoot. People who think they're so much more important than they actually are crack me up.

misterbfd

misterbfd

Fanatic

Posted Apr 6, 2012 @ 11:04 PM

While I can believe that there were issues with that B&B, I'm betting the owner's attitude was a total put-on to try and get the publicity and free make-over for the place. She was completely out in la-la land and then suddenly "got it" at the last minute? Went from going out to "parties" every night to staying in and hanging out with the guests? I don't buy it.

I think there was quite a bit of put-on in this episode. There's no doubt that the scene where the guest asks for some of the staff's food was a total fake, the acting was terrible. During the episode I tried to book a room at the place, just to see how booked they were. I had a hard time finding an open room. All four were booked solid for weeks.

LaffyTaffy

LaffyTaffy

Fanatic

Posted Apr 6, 2012 @ 11:06 PM

People who think they're so much more important than they actually are crack me up.

LOL, they're the best part of LA. The epi was just so funny because as much as Diane looked down on mere mortals, she was no more than a hanger on in the periphery of celebrity. If she's so well connected then why couldn't one of her A-List friends land her a cushy job in the entertainment industry?

runningoutofnam

runningoutofnam

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 7, 2012 @ 7:21 AM

During the episode I tried to book a room at the place, just to see how booked they were. I had a hard time finding an open room. All four were booked solid for weeks.

At that price they were having at 130 or so per day they would be booked solid after the improvements. The problems are that the staff size was to big and that they weren't doing the work they should have been doing.

There's no doubt that the scene where the guest asks for some of the staff's food was a total fake, the acting was terrible.

That is actually a sign that it isn't fake but real people doing a real thing. Tabs said the camera's had been there for weeks. Hidden cameras these days can zoom and directional mics can pick up things by zooming in on people along with the camera.

If she's so well connected then why couldn't one of her A-List friends land her a cushy job in the entertainment industry?

Those jobs you have to interact with the mere mortals or have actual skills. Also I think it was her husband's role that got her into the parties back then. The parties she goes to are for the faded celebs now not the real big wigs of today's hollywood.

PharmGal10

PharmGal10

Fanatic

Posted Apr 7, 2012 @ 12:54 PM

Putting cereal and fruit out is a no-brainer but it doesn't take much to whip up some scrambled eggs or hash browns, pancakes or toast and putting out some pre-made muffins or pastries!

ITA. Admittedly, I've never stayed at a B&B, but I have planned a small three-day medical conference where a continental breakfast was served every day. Since we were only expecting 25 people, I went to BJs and got assorted muffins and croissants. I also got two huge fruit platters, some plain yogurt in bulk, low fat milk cartons in individual sizes, plain granola w/ nuts, bottled water, hard boiled eggs, and fruits juices. The total was less than $75, and we had plenty to spare at the end of the event. Diane had NO excuses for not providing a legitimate breakfast for her guests. Her B&B was so small, it wouldn't have cost much to provide breakfast daily.

How could Diane justify having a personal housekeeper and cook also clean the rooms for the guests? She is one person. I doubt she was paid fairly for her services especially considering how run-down the place was. No way was the housekeeper getting any of that $10 cleaning fee.

And how could a B&B called 'Cinema Suites' have no Hollywood memorabilia or theme in any of the rooms? How can you have a 'Hollywood' room or 'Casablanca' room and not decorate it accordingly?

I honestly couldn't tell if Diane was that lazy or that clueless. Probably a mix of both.

lanorigb

lanorigb

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 7, 2012 @ 1:26 PM

I didn't understand the theming of the rooms after Tabitha took over. Africa? Oriental?Paris? Not really getting how this ties in with Hollywood. Why not have a "Gone With the Wind" or other classic film theme. It would be fairly easy to put some movie posters up in nice frames and few accents to tie it in.

runningoutofnam

runningoutofnam

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 7, 2012 @ 2:24 PM

hy not have a "Gone With the Wind" or other classic film theme. It would be fairly easy to put some movie posters up in nice frames and few accents to tie it in.

I suspect they were avoiding making it tacky.

scruffy73

scruffy73

Fanatic

Posted Apr 7, 2012 @ 3:00 PM

I suspect they were avoiding making it tacky.

Fail. Everything about this place is tacky. No housekeeping. No food. Bitch for an owner. Hair on the pillow. Rust in the tub. Lost reservations.

annalisa

annalisa

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 7, 2012 @ 3:25 PM

I didn't understand the theming of the rooms after Tabitha took over. Africa? Oriental?Paris? Not really getting how this ties in with Hollywood. Why not have a "Gone With the Wind" or other classic film theme. It would be fairly easy to put some movie posters up in nice frames and few accents to tie it in.

I was wondering about that too - but then I realized that the whole makeover was sponsored by Pier1 so they had to stick with Pier1's decor.

They also didn't show any bathroom makeovers. I wonder if Tabatha actually showered and got ready for filming there....

Sometimes the people are so shitty that it pisses me off that they get complete makeovers. Some are so undeserving.

SiameseCatLady

SiameseCatLady

Fanatic

Posted Apr 7, 2012 @ 4:47 PM

That place was REALLY staff heavy. I recently stayed at a B&B with 4 rooms in the main house and I believe 2 in a guest house. They had someone come to tidy and freshen the rooms daily, bed made, room tidied, bathroom cleaned and clean towels. Continental breakfast was included, but most everyone went for the full breakfast which was an additional $10, but was prepared to order and served at a beautifully decorated table by someone who had cooked at THE restaurant in town in the 1990s and was well worth the $10. The man made scones and hot chocolate from scratch! So, they had basically 2 part time employees (probably each working less than 20 hrs. per week) handling things and greeted guests personally on arrival although the owners did not live at the property. I don't see how (or why) Diane needed 2 assistants, a housekeeper and help from her daughter. And I don't see why no one was there to greet guests with all those people, 2 of whom lived on the property. Hopefully Tabs really did through to her, but I doubt it.

misterbfd

misterbfd

Fanatic

Posted Apr 7, 2012 @ 9:55 PM

That is actually a sign that it isn't fake but real people doing a real thing. Tabs said the camera's had been there for weeks. Hidden cameras these days can zoom and directional mics can pick up things by zooming in on people along with the camera.

Hidden cameras? There's no way that cameras were installed on the location without the owner/staff knowing they were there. The scene with the guest asking to try some of the staff's food was clearly staged, or was a recreation of a similar incident. It wasn't real.

Everything about this episode was FOR the cameras. The owner achieved what she set out to do: get tons of free TV publicity for one of her multiple businesses.

There's no such thing as completely unadulterated entertainment reality TV.

Hamhock96

Hamhock96

Fanatic

Posted Apr 7, 2012 @ 10:07 PM

So this horrible woman made a complete ass of herself on television for the sake of some bedspreads and lamps from Pier One? Was her hair and make-up staged? Were her delusions about herself invented "for the cameras"?

Seems to me, if you were so conscious of the cameras, you'd take steps to behave in a manner that does more honor to yourself.

Maybe they re-shot a few things. The part that mattered seemed real enough to me.

Edited by Hamhock96, Apr 7, 2012 @ 10:09 PM.

misterbfd

misterbfd

Fanatic

Posted Apr 7, 2012 @ 10:32 PM

So this horrible woman made a complete ass of herself on television for the sake of some bedspreads and lamps from Pier One?

Heck no! Bookings have probably tripled since the show aired. When I tried to book a room, they were booked up solid (save one room for one night only). No doubt that's what she was hoping for, especially considering that this B&B is only ONE of her businesses.

Businesses on this show always get made over. There aren't many unhappy endings. Almost without exception the follow up is that business is up, the owners and staff have all changed for the better, and customers are loving the new place.

There are lots of people who make lots of money making an ass of themselves on so-called "reality TV" (which isn't so real, if you know what actually goes on).

beezer

beezer

Stalker

Posted Apr 7, 2012 @ 10:38 PM

Hidden cameras? There's no way that cameras were installed on the location without the owner/staff knowing they were there. The scene with the guest asking to try some of the staff's food was clearly staged, or was a recreation of a similar incident. It wasn't real.

Of course they know the cameras are there, they don't know when/what they're taping. As discussed upthread, the show tells shops that they're considering using the locations and will install cameras to help decide which to film in/in case they're chosen, because it's supposed to be surprising when she shows up, as seen on the programme.

As to the scene in question - none of us were there, so no one knows if it was staged or not. Personally, I think the entire staff would have to be as daft as Diane to recreate something that'd make them look that bad, hence I lean toward that having been genuine.

Edited by beezer, Apr 7, 2012 @ 10:48 PM.

misterbfd

misterbfd

Fanatic

Posted Apr 7, 2012 @ 10:51 PM

Of course they know the cameras are there

Well, there you go. The simple fact that the participants know the cameras are on site alters reality. That much is a given. Additionally, the customers of these businesses have to be issued a disclosure that they're being taped for possible broadcast, and they have to sign a release for the footage of them to be used.

Personally, I think the entire staff would have to be as daft as Diane to recreate something that'd make them look that bad, hence I lean toward that having been genuine.

Fair enough, I just happen to disagree. To me, that entire scene smacks of a pickup.