2-2: "The Best Oranges in the County" 2008.07.02

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

82 replies to this topic

TWoP Gadget

TWoP Gadget

Fanatic

Posted Jun 29, 2008 @ 9:36 AM

This week, the short cut challenge is just that - the stylists must create a flirty and sexy look on very short hair, which tests some of their expertise with scissors. During the elimination challenge, they face their toughest clients yet - the ladies from “The Real Housewives of Orange County.” The stylists struggle to meet the demands of these California divas while creating a cut and style that will win them over.

BlueFlamingo

BlueFlamingo

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 2, 2008 @ 10:18 PM

Thank god that Tabatha came back. I love that she has no qualms about telling people their haircuts suck.

Loved Charlie's Mia Farrow-inspired cut in the Shortcut challenge, as well as all his snarky commentary. And Daniel's breakdown at elimination time? Best Supporting Actress material indeed.

Pretty good episode overall, although I'm surprised that Gail has survived two trips to the bottom three. I suppose the style Parker did on his model was more offensive. Her hair color was much too dark, and the blunt bangs looked very severe.

BeanyMalone

BeanyMalone

Fanatic

Posted Jul 2, 2008 @ 10:25 PM

And yet another Bravo show where the person with the young model wins. Really, was there ever any doubt that the winning stylist would have a daughter? Still, forgive my hypocrisy for just a moment while I say that those women were really unattractive. I mean, I've never watched The Real Housewives of Orange County so I had no idea how really unattractive they were. All of them are trying too hard to look at least ten years younger than they are. I honestly didn't think the losing cut made the woman look any more age inappropriate than any of the other cuts. Or than any of them looked when they walked in.

My favorite "short cut" was the frizzy red head. So much improvement, but still a little pre-Raphaelite fuzziness. Just my bias, I guess.

Is there any way for Rene to do his job and be quiet at the same time? He's so gorgeous but the illusion of beauty dies with every syllable he utters.

Nice encore performance by Tabatha. I understand why she was bounced last year, but she is still "Shear Genius".

Edited by BeanyMalone, Jul 2, 2008 @ 10:30 PM.

DeMoTV

DeMoTV

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 2, 2008 @ 10:25 PM

stylists struggle to meet the demands of these California divas while creating a cut and style that will win them over.

"Struggle" doesn't begin to describe it. Please don't waste my time while you crossbreed, Bravo. If the people in the chair won't allow the stylists to do their thing, then what's the point? To my untrained eye, the Housewives looked the same and that definitely aint a good thing. Lauri needed major trimmage. Let's cut down on the horse face, shall we?

What a waste of time. The stylists could have really made major transformations with color and current cuts, but the bitches wouldn't allow them to do their work. "Nothing sharp can touch my head," or something like that. Maybe the OC contracts stipulate that they're Bravo Bitches and will show up on demand. Can't they stipulate that they actually, y'know, participate?

Charlie's short cut was great. However, don't Frenchify Jean Seberg's name. The woman was born in Iowa. And please step away from Daniel. Don't make fun of him, even if he is crying. His enthusiasm is totally adorable. I mean, the guy was generally in awe of being in the presence of the OC Housewives. I can't say I admire it, but his passion is cute. And if he's sad that people are leaving, I'm buying it. For now.

Tabatha. Meh. She was playing the part of bitch and played it well.

Edited by DeMoTV, Jul 2, 2008 @ 10:28 PM.

katogal

katogal

Just Tuned In

Posted Jul 2, 2008 @ 10:28 PM

Oh joy. Just what I wanted to see. The spoiled, bratty women from the OC. Who enjoys this stuff? Thank God for Tabatha.

izabella

izabella

Fanatic

Posted Jul 2, 2008 @ 10:43 PM

Are those straight-across the forehead Cleopatra bangs back in these days? It seemed to me like all the stylists chose to give them those same bangs.

And I agree, BeanyMalone, I didn't think the losing cut made her look old, nor did I think it looked bad at all. At least it wasn't over-processed fried out blondarexic, as Kim kept warning the other 'ladies'.

And that woman who wouldn't let anything sharp near her hair really, really needed a cut. She'd have looked better even if they had cut it with those hedge trimmers from last season. I get it that she wants the long and sexy blonde look, but someone needs to tell her that her hair looks like crap and growing it out requires a very good cut throughout the process, with regular trims. Her mess was not the least bit sexy or attractive...try scraggly.

Cookie Hoarder

Cookie Hoarder

Fanatic

Posted Jul 2, 2008 @ 10:49 PM

Kim has no business yelping, "Blondarexia!" over and over like that, given the state of his hair.

I was surprised no one mentioned how much Tami's (Tammy? Tammie?) cut and color made her look like Cher.

Blackday

Blackday

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 2, 2008 @ 10:54 PM

First of all, I agree that the OC Ho-wives crew were useless. If you don't want any change to your (dried-out, faux blonde, extension laden, antiquated) hair, maybe Shear Genius is not the place for you. All I really wanted to see tonight was for Tabitha to unleash her bitch on that group. Sadly, that wasn't to be, but a gal can dream. I was loving Charlie tonight, and not just because he's a Denver boy.

Puds38

Puds38

Stalker

Posted Jul 2, 2008 @ 11:11 PM

Dear Bravo,
I hate the Housewives. Stop trying to make me think otherwise.
no love,
Me

What a waste of the fabulous Tabitha. I hear Bravo is giving her a show. I'm half tempted to watch. She was spot on with her assessment of the short cuts both good and bad. I hate Nekisia and was really hoping she would go. You say you blended those split ends? I could see them from the kitchen while I was packing my lunch.
Loved Daniel's enthusiasm over having them as models, but they just bugged. It was as if this was an extension of what I imagine their show is like so all of them were in character. WTF? with the mother who was obsessed with the daughter's haircut. She looked over 18 to me and fully capable of deciding what she wanted done with her hair. Mom needed to sit her happy ass down and get her own mop taken care of. I totally agreed with Paul being eliminated. Those deep bangs and the severe color were overpowering.Some deep red or brown tones would have lifted that look up a lot and I think she would have fared better with side swept bangs.

lilshorty

lilshorty

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 2, 2008 @ 11:17 PM

Charlie brings on the snark plus he's talented. I'm totally loving it. I agree with everyone--those housewives were a mess. Gail's model's hair looked bad but you can't blame neither her nor Paulo if their model's didn't want a change which they indeed needed. I didn't think the losing style wasn't that bad either but I can understand him getting the shaft because of the dramatic color and him being young and inexperienced.

Edited by lilshorty, Jul 2, 2008 @ 11:19 PM.

Invictus Nth

Invictus Nth

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 3, 2008 @ 12:30 AM

Count me out on the Charlie love. I agree that he is very talented (his challenge haircut was super fierce), but he strikes me as the type of guy that thinks that everyone is in total love with his bitchiness. His remarks about Daniel were totally unneccessary. I've seen his type before - the bitch factor increases dramatically if the spotlight's on someone else. Plus he's too old (and too big) for that tee shirt he was wearing. Just because you're on a Bravo show - sarcasm and little boy's clothes does not a Christian Siriano make.

Daniel may be corny as hell, but he seems legitimately sweet - and it's nice to see a fellow queen be goofy rather than catty.

And while I liked Tabitha in S1 - she just seemed like she was trying too hard to intimidate the stylists. And she wasn't at all being impartial when deciding the cuts she didn't like - she called out the two stylists in the initial challange solely because they sassed back to her. There were other haircuts that were much worse.

Also, it seemed pointless to have these Housewives chicks on the show if they weren't even going to agree to get their hair cut - the insistence of not getting their hair cut (on a show about hair design) was utterly ridiculous and totally unfair to the stylists. Like the show that spawned them, they were so, so pointless. God forbid that someone try to alter their Malibu Barbie hairstyles. With those mothers as role models, those daughters are going to have serious age and body issues. And Lord, that Vicki chick is one high-strung mess.

Aside from that, I'm enjoying the improvement in the overall production of the show. Magical Elves' work, as usual, has really elevated the quality of the show.

Edited by Invictus Nth, Jul 3, 2008 @ 12:33 AM.

excaliber21

excaliber21

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 3, 2008 @ 12:43 AM

I never watched the show last year, so I guess you had to be there to appreciate Tabitha. Seeing her for the first time tonight made me think she was a fucking bitch. I guess that's her particular charm.

I don't think any of the Hosewives EXCEPT for Tammy looked a bit different. Well, maybe jeanna's hair didn't look quite as scraggly as it did before, but the rest of them were still the same blonde, frizzy, shapeless manes. Oh yeah, except for Quinn, but she's always been forgettable. What kind of drugs do they have to be on to think that their current looks are in any way attractive? I'm wondering if they have a particular allegiance to certain stylists back where they came from in the Land of Delusia, so they didn't want to be unfaithful and let any one else make their mark. But seriously, they all need to be brought into the real world.

And there is a difference between enthusiasm and hysteria. Daniel was way over the line, especially considering what Grade-Z ho-bags the hosewives are. What would he do if he ever met someone who was a real celebrity -- pee his pants? In next week's episode...

Kim Vo is one of those people who would be interesting to see without having had all the plastic surgery and cosmetic enhancement. I think he would look better.

It's amazing that the oldest thing about Jaclyn Smith is her voice. If you heard it over the phone, you'd imagine a woman her age. But hearing it come out of her is a little jarring since she looks so much younger than her years. She really is a textbook example of great genes combined with skillfully done surgery.

Edited by excaliber21, Jul 3, 2008 @ 1:50 PM.

sarahk47

sarahk47

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 3, 2008 @ 1:00 AM

I thought the black hair on Kara (Jeana's daughter/Charlie's model) was too dark. I agree that this challenge was unfair since many of the ladies were unwilling to compromise. I wasn't overly impressed with any of the styles or cuts, but that was mainly because of the models. However, I think the biggest improvement was Jeana's hair not hanging there like cords from a mop.

Pixel

Pixel

Stalker

Posted Jul 3, 2008 @ 1:03 AM

These stylists were supposedly chosen as the best of the best, weren't they? After two episodes, I'm certain I wouldn't let any of them, save Nicole, near my hair.

voiceover

voiceover

Fanatic

Posted Jul 3, 2008 @ 1:21 AM

I never watched the show last year, so I guess you had to be there to appreciate Tabitha.

Not necessarily. I couldn't stand her, and she spent so much time ranting over one particular stylist (Tyson) that, even if you didn't care for him (I thought he was OK), you were, "Bitch, STFU!" The "fan favorite" validation was the biggest reality show shocker for me, and I watch Top Chef.

And tonight = more of the same. Bitch for Bitch's Sake, very tiresome, and thank GOD she's a one-off.

Goodbye Parker! You reminded me a bit of David Cook...so I'll miss you.

Pasasana

Pasasana

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 3, 2008 @ 1:53 AM

It seems to me that Jeana was the only one who's hair was cut and colored. And she looked better. But what a stupid challenge. A bunch of women who don't want their hair cut on a show about hair cutting.

*Mckenzie too I guess - she also had a cu and color.

Edited by Pasasana, Jul 3, 2008 @ 1:53 AM.

Balthier

Balthier

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 3, 2008 @ 3:11 AM

Either Parker or Paulo could've gone tonight and I would've been satisfied. Gail had a disadvantage of her client not wanting her hair cut at all, so I'm glad she stayed and wasn't eliminated over that.

Tabatha? Always a sight for sore eyes!

I wasn't too keen on Charlie winning either challenge. I thought Nicole was robbed in the Short Cut Challenge, and Glenn totally should've won the Elimination Challenge.

Haven't seen the Housewives' show, so I have no real comment about any of them.

Bentley

Bentley

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 3, 2008 @ 6:00 AM

I hated the winning haircut. It made her look like a squareface and completely obscured her eyes. When I looked at that girl I saw Lacey Schwimmer and that's not a good thing from where I'm sitting.

My favorite in the elimination challenge was the Miami hairstylist--don't know her name. She was one of the few who actually gave her model a stylish haircut and hairstyle. Too many of them gave what amounted to a trim and a roller set--impractical and change that won't last beyond their next shampooing.

VeniVidiVici

VeniVidiVici

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 3, 2008 @ 8:22 AM

My favorite in the elimination challenge was the Miami hairstylist--don't know her name. She was one of the few who actually gave her model a stylish haircut and hairstyle.

Was that Dee? I agree that she had the best cut. It seems the judges didn't like the color and the young girl didn't seem too enamored with the darker highlights (I thought they looked great).

I liked the short cut challenge and Tabitha's always good for a few laughs. I agree that she might have not necessarily chosen the two worst cuts but her comments across the board were good. Plus that Nakesa chick just bugs so I'm glad she was put in her place. Charlie's cut was great. It's that Rosemary's Baby cut that Tyrant always wants in Top Model but never gets right.

I thought Parker left because Paolo and Gail had impossible clients while Parker actually had the freedom to cut and color and he did poorly. These challenges are too gimmicky and can't they find models that actually want their hair cut?

Edited by VeniVidiVici, Jul 3, 2008 @ 8:23 AM.

cherry malotte

cherry malotte

Fanatic

Posted Jul 3, 2008 @ 8:27 AM

Surprised that I stayed for the whole show since those Real Ho-Bags just make me wanna puke. That being said, Dee did a great job on Lauri's Ho-Bag in Training step-daughter, and I liked Jeana's cut and freshened up color. Other than that...a nevermind episode that I won't be rewatching past the short cut challenge.

Bye bye Parker. Study your color now.

chowie

chowie

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 3, 2008 @ 9:23 AM

Goodbye Parker! You reminded me a bit of David Cook...so I'll miss you.

Hah! This was EXACTLY what I thought of when I first saw Parker. I was like, "How the hell did David Cook get in there?" But yeah, I'll miss him, too. He seems like a classy, sweet person. Like Daniel.

I'm pretty disappointed with the challenges so far this season. Last season, the challenges, including the Short Cuts, were difficult and really tested creativity and skill (men's cutting, different types of scissors, etc). This is only the second episode so it's too early to tell, but unfortunately I'm still underwhelmed. My favorite challenge last season was trying to replicate the Sally Hershberger shag. I wish they would do it again with another stylist, although I'm not sure if there is another iconic hairstyle out there that they can replicate (and the Nancy Kwan bob was already featured later in the first season as well, so Sassoon's out).

hopebetter

hopebetter

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 3, 2008 @ 9:25 AM

Since I was never a Tabatha (the Rosa Klebb of reality TV) enthusiast last season, I must say I wasn't very giddy over the return of her dominatrix shtick. She and Miss Charlie certainly developed woodies for each other. The mutual admiration society between them got a bit nauseating after awhile. Charlie is certainly milking the dubious honor of being the show's token villainous a-hole.

I never watched THE REAL HOUSEWIVES OF ORANGE COUNTY so I couldn't share in either the excitement or the uneasiness the stylists had over their respective clients. BRAVO has gotten pimping down to a fine science. Coming in a future episode: the SHEAR GENIUS stylists cut the hair of the TOP CHEFs while they prepare a three-course meal!

I was sorry to see ol' Parker go. He was kinda cute in a geeky, goofy way. He also seemed like one of the few stylists this season that is down-to-earth and grounded in real "reality". Maybe that's why they let him go - he doesn't give "good television".

Boys and girls, I swear I don't remember that stylist named Glenn from week one. Maybe I had her confused with Meredith in some shots.

Daniel is still my favorite of the batch and Kim Vo was even creepier this week than he was in the premiere episode! Brrrr!

coastie81

coastie81

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 3, 2008 @ 9:27 AM

Oh my goodness - I just looked at the before and afters on the Bravo site and I have just got to say that those are without a doubt some of the homeliest women I have ever seen. I hate to sound so shallow but YIKES! They all should have let the stylists do whatever they wanted to help them look better.

sbell7

sbell7

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 3, 2008 @ 9:40 AM

Coming in a future episode: the SHEAR GENIUS stylists cut the hair of the TOP CHEFs while they prepare a three-course meal!

While the PROJECT RUNWAY designers design new haircutting uniforms for the stylists while they are cutting the hair of the chefs preparing the three-course meal!!!

Anyways, I was happy that Gail wasn't sent home. I had a feeling they would keep her considering that she wasn't able to actually do anything with her client's hair, and it seemed unfair to have her go home over that. And also, they kept saying that her client had too much product in her hair...which may have been true, but she also just had gross hair. I also liked Dee's style with the daughter. Her signature "low light" or whatever it was looked really good, IMO. And I hearted Daniel admitting he dressed up for Lauri's wedding. He just seems so genuine.

izabella

izabella

Fanatic

Posted Jul 3, 2008 @ 10:10 AM

Oh my goodness - I just looked at the before and afters on the Bravo site and I have just got to say that those are without a doubt some of the homeliest women I have ever seen. I hate to sound so shallow but YIKES! They all should have let the stylists do whatever they wanted to help them look better.

Seriously. Since they're on TV, they could have started a whole new trend for all of Orange Country: great cuts without overly-processed fried out straw hair. Trying to look 10 to 20 years younger makes them actually look that much older (and so pathetic for trying so hard!).

They had Jaclyn right there in front of them as an example - who thinks she'd look better/younger if she was a fried out blonde??

TappyOca

TappyOca

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 3, 2008 @ 10:31 AM

Tabatha, please marry me.

AND Bravo is giving her a show? I have died and gone to heaven, Seriously.

I don't like talking about what people look like. I think that's kind of shallow and superficial...but...those housewives...I think they're a pretty sad lot. Money alone doesn't make you attractive, unless you live in a shallow and superficial fishbowl...which I guess, they do. I think they were a homely and singularly unattractive lot.

I know punk asians, goth asians, preppy asians, and rocker asians. They have spike hair, blue hair, no hair, tattoos, piercings...but none of them hate their ethnicity, which I think Mr Vo does. I see nothing in his appearance that even remotely suggests he is of asian descent. I guess the plastic surgery and botox took care of that.

I know people like Charlie...and I can't stand them. Bitch, bitch, bitch. That's all that comes out of their mouths. He may be talented, but I truly can't stand him.

Nutjob

Nutjob

Stalker

Posted Jul 3, 2008 @ 10:32 AM

Count me out on the Charlie love. I agree that he is very talented (his challenge haircut was super fierce), but he strikes me as the type of guy that thinks that everyone is in total love with his bitchiness. His remarks about Daniel were totally unneccessary. I've seen his type before - the bitch factor increases dramatically if the spotlight's on someone else. Plus he's too old (and too big) for that tee shirt he was wearing. Just because you're on a Bravo show - sarcasm and little boy's clothes does not a Christian Siriano make.

ITA. Charlie can go at any time, as far as I'm concerned. He's not snarky, he's mean... and I can't stand someone being mean just for the sake of famewhoring.

Also, Parker was robbed. Paolo should have gone instead.

PotomacDog

PotomacDog

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 3, 2008 @ 10:47 AM

Outside of the short cut challenge, this episode was a total waste of the cut-estants skills, time, and energy. Why bother inviting clients who don't want their damaged hair and outdated hair-don'ts worked on by hairstyling professionals?
What's next BRAVO? Will the Top Chefs cook a meal for a group of anorexics who refuse to eat? Can we look forward to watching the Project Runway contestants as they design outfits for a bunch of nudists?

Edited by PotomacDog, Jul 3, 2008 @ 10:51 AM.

ShesaMarshmallo

ShesaMarshmallo

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 3, 2008 @ 11:02 AM

The whole time Tabitha was on I kept saying to myself she's just being bitchy to keep her bitch status. Nothing of substance ever once was uttered by her. It does not seem to me like she's knows what she's talking about.

I'm not sure I have a fave yet. The chick with the short blonde hair is good and I like a few others but I don't know their names as of yet.

I guessed early on Parker was going home because Nikisa was sure she was. It was just a feeling I guess.

lilshorty

lilshorty

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 3, 2008 @ 11:17 AM

I'm surprised to find out that I'm not the only one who doesn't watch that show Real Housewives of Orange County. You guys make me feel much better and less guilty for not wanting to watch that mockrity(is that a word?) of a show that Bravo shoves down our throats. There isn't a day when I can't turn it onto the Bravo station to try to catch re-runs of some other interesting show when they're playing a marathon of that Orange County crap. Sorry if this is off topic, but I just had to rant a lil bit. =D