06-04: "Nine Left" 2008.06.30

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

44 replies to this topic

TWoP Gadget

TWoP Gadget

Fanatic

Posted Jun 29, 2008 @ 9:31 AM

CONTESTANTS PREPARE TO SING TWO SONGS AND BLAKE SHELTON SINGS "HOME" -- A SURPRISE VISIT BY THE CONTESTANTS' FAMILIES BRINGS A LITTLE PIECE OF HOME TO NASHVILLE -- BILLY RAY CYRUS HOSTS -- Nine acts remain all competing be named the next "Nashville Star." Now a month into the competition a surprise visit from their families gives each of the remaining acts a much needed remedy for their homesickness. Rounding out this heartfelt episode is special guest Blake Shelton singing his current hit single "Home." This week the contestants will sing two songs. At the end America sends another act home. Host Billy Ray Cyrus ("Hannah Montana") joins celebrity judges/mentors, singer-songwriter and acclaimed producer John Rich, multi-platinum singer-songwriter and three-time Grammy nominee Jewel and acclaimed industry heavy weight and BMI Songwriter of the Year (2006) Jeffery Steele in the search for a true artist.

Tallulah2

Tallulah2

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 30, 2008 @ 10:13 PM

Wow, that was maybe the worst Nashville Star ep yet.

Random thoughts:

I was musing last week what pop/rock song I would pick to give the country treatment, after last week, and the one that popped into my head was "Don't Stop Believing," by Journey. So that was interesting to see Ashlee pick that this week. I thought she sounded good on it, but she seemed to have a lot of trouble going for the big power note. No one called her on it, though. (In fact, no one called anyone on vocal weaknesses this week, and I though a lot of them sounded awful.) I do like Ashlee, though. She has a genuinely country vibe and she makes me think of Tammy Wynette, and that can't be bad, at all. Loved her second song. She's getting more and more comfortable onstage, too.

Coffey and Tommy just aren't country. They may have been raised in a rural setting. They may have a grandpa that says "I reckon" a lot. But these dudes did not concentrate on singing country, growing up. These are dudes that wish they'd made it further on American Idol.

Pearl Heart. I thought they were awful tonight. I cringed the whole time--their harmonies were way off, to my ears. The judges didn't seem to notice.

Melissa was incredible, and she gets more and more comfortable onstage. She can really sell songs like "This One's for the Girls," though I'm not a fan of the country power ballad. I can see her singing girl-empowerment songs, and having big hits with them.

Shawn. Good voice, but I'm just not feeling her.

Gabe. YES, SIR! Love this guy. Give him a contract immediately!

Alison. She's just not ready. Jewel was completely right about her, though I have a feeling it came out harsher than Jewel wanted it to. At this point, Alison would be a great performer on a cruise ship or in a Branson review. She's pretty, but generic.

Laura and Sophie. Oh, wow. Jewel nailed it for them, too. That arrangement of Walking on Sunshine should have been amazing. It should have made us sit up and take notice of these girls' voices. But it just made them look like 12 year olds at a high school talent show. And their harmonies were off, too. I liked them last week, but now I just don't know what to think.

I love the mentor thing this year. I think it's cool that all three judges seem to really be invested in their group. I didn't know Jeffrey wrote "I'll Still Be Loving You!" Great song! Well...it was....

Hildegard802

Hildegard802

Fanatic

Posted Jun 30, 2008 @ 10:23 PM

Chet lives!!! BR did catch himself once and actually articulated "yet." Someone's reading the bo-ooards.

Ashlee has a hella weak voice. Pop Goes the Country. Again. Love you RichHole continues the pimpage, telling her that although she doesn't have a "powerful" voice, she's just great anyway. The hair flipping is annoying.

Why did Steele tell Ashlee to stay in her hotel room and work and not flirt with the boys? Is she gang-banging instead of practicing??

Cough-AY. I wouldn't walk two feet to hear that whinnying, goat-throated, mushmouthed, screwed up pronunciation weakass. "Come on, y'all!! Sing it with me!!!" Shut the hell up. RichHole is reading the boards!! "You're not country. You should go on AI." Too bad Cough-AY's response wasn't, "Been there done that, and they didn't want me either."

Hey, judges? All these no-talent hacks you're hammering on? YOU put them through. STFU.

Tommy. Lord, the jingoism is sickening. Some family members should not be shown. Tommy, you tried out to be on a country show. So why is it so hard for you to be country??? If he stretches his neck out any further when he's singing, he's gonna go all E.T. up in our asses. Last note on Broken Road was BAD.

How is it possible that BR gets worse every week?

Pearl Heart. The only way they'll ever get anywhere is to lose knock-kneed Jennifer Beals in the middle. The other two have their makeup guns set to whore. Jennifer Beals does not fit into this equation.

Melissa. The crinkled nose, the faces, the cheese. For all her posturing, I never feel that SHE feels the song. She's just another generically decent singer. Hey judges, the lower register was NOT great.

Shawna. "It's time to be a girl." I was unaware that her gender was in question. Here's more of the damn name-dropping. "Bobby when we touch . . ." But then she goes and does a Randy Travis song, so I guess her gender is once again up for grabs. She hangs onto the R sound ala Aiken, and it sounds like she's got a mouthful of concrete. Horrid.

If I hear "give it up for" or "make some noise for" once more time, Imonna cut a bitch.

Gabe. Yet another generically decent county fair/bar singer.

Alyson. Bug eyes and neck snappin.' You can take the girl out of the pageant, but you can't . . .

The Shining Twins. Judges, you're just NOW noticing that they're 1) too young, 2) not ready, and 3) high school talent show. You're slow on the uptake. The rest of us saw it on day one. And again, judges, YOU put them through. Walking On Sunshine was absolutely horrendous.

GAWD.

cvbear

cvbear

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 30, 2008 @ 10:56 PM

I didn't know Jeffrey wrote "I'll Still Be Loving You"

Allmusic.com is crediting it to Pat Bunch, Todd Cerney, Mary Ann Kennedy, and Pamela Rose. I think the meaning for him was re: his son more than anything else.

mooncreek

mooncreek

Stalker

Posted Jun 30, 2008 @ 11:12 PM

How is Cah-fay dodging the bottom 2?

I missed Ashlee performance but from what I'm seeing on here sounds like all her other songs.

Pearl Heart - well, that made me want to find the original so I can figure out what happened.

Tommy - I guess his Rascal Flatts wasn't as ear-splitting as the original so that's progress. I wanted to hear more of "Tiny Dancer'.

Gabe - this is the first time I've gotten the Gabe love. I could tell he was a talented singer but he caught me by surprise this time in capturing my attention

Melissa - I wish she had done the songs in the other order. "Landslide" would have been interesting if she wasn't distracted by the judges' comments. "This One's For the Girls" is just another of the same kind of choices for her. I am not convinced she was even playing that guitar.

As an aside, except for Tommy and, to some extent Melissa, the second songs were really not good. The format of song-comments-immediate second song doesn't seem to work well for the second song.

Shawn - looked uncomfortable trying to be "girly".

Alyson - I'm sorry but I wasn't even able to pay attention to her performance - it seemed to drone on and on. So I ended up missing the Return of the Bug Eyes.

Laura & Sophie - the judges are getting it juuuuust a little too late. Both of their performances were a chaotic mess.

pigskinprincess

pigskinprincess

Just Tuned In

Posted Jun 30, 2008 @ 11:39 PM

Why am I still watching this show? Tonight's episode was definitely the worst yet... and that's really saying something.

The only ones worth watching were Melissa and Gabe.

I like how the judges were bashing people for not being country - where have they been for the other episodes?

quothapril

quothapril

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 30, 2008 @ 11:53 PM

You know you're a crappy TV host when the network feels compelled to haul out your eight-year-old to help you. I think the whole "family" theme this week was just an excuse to avoid letting Billy Ray open the show by himself.

Ashlee has a distinctive sound and either you like it or you don't, but I'm still convinced she'd sell more records than any of these other contestants by a mile. I'm not sure I'd actually buy any of her music, but within the context of this show, she's ended up being one of my favorites because she seems relatively low key and has a good understanding of who she is as an artist.

I'm honestly shocked by how much I'm starting to like Shawn. I didn't like her at all the first week, but since then, both her style and her personality have grown on me. To me, she comes across as very young right now, but she could turn out to be the most interesting artist of this whole group in the long run. Even though she's got some work to do, she's the one I could most imagine myself wanting to hear five years from now. I didn't think her second song was that bad, either.

Gabe and Melissa both had great vocals this week. I wasn't crazy about Gabe's song choices, but he's the only male contestant who has any business being on this show right now. As for Melissa, I hated both arrangements and I still think she's pageanty, but that was all about my personal taste - she sang well and I can understand why people would like what she does.

As the groups go, Pearl Heart was good but didn't blow me away. Still very solid, though. Laura and Sophie were terrible, and unlike Jewel and others, I don't think the arrangement (or song choice in general) did them any favors either. Something Jeffrey said made me wonder if the two of them are having personal issues at the moment.

Neither Tommy nor Coffey is suited for country, but I feel a little bit bad for Tommy in that sense because he's so earnest about the whole thing - he really does think he's country. The sooner he figures out he's not, the better, because he might make a halfway decent pop/rock singer. Although, I wanted to muzzle Jewel when she indicated that he wasn't jumping around stage like a lunatic quite enough this week. Seriously? You want more of that? As far as Coffey goes, I can't tell you how much I want him gone. His personality bugs, he has a mediocre voice for any genre of music, he's an obnoxious performer, and I'm not seeing a shred of authenticity there. Plus, his reaction when John Rich suggested that he audition for American Idol - sorry, dude, but self-righteousness isn't going to work when we already have video evidence that this is Plan B.

There's not much to say about Alyson - it's not like she was going to win - but man, I would've powervoted last week if I'd seen that clip of her giving John Rich the finger. She seems like a cool person. Not a fan of her musically, but I would definitely like to buy her a drink.

cvbear

cvbear

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 30, 2008 @ 11:58 PM

I wish they'd just eliminate the smallest votegetter at the top of the show instead of stretching the torture beyond the breaking point.

Ashlee, it was a stupid-looking idea to play ten notes on the piano, then get up to play the guitar. Pick one; I can guarantee you it's not going to sound much better if you picked an instrument and stuck with it. Her voice cracked a few times in the middle of it, and Journey's not country anyway, and certainly doesn't fit her range. Olivia Newton-John had a hit with a "Don't Stop Believin'" that would have been more convincing for her. I don't like the faux-Patsy cry/broken note in female singers, because A) it sounds like they're trying to mimic legends and B) sounds like they went sharp. As for "Help Me Make It Through This Song", she sang all of 20 seconds of it, and John Rich thinks she sounds like Tammy Wynette? How full of shit is that, really? Just because he's established that he likes to make jokes about underage girls in their PJ's doesn't mean he's qualified to suck up to the barely legal girls so shamelessly. Because, honestly, she doesn't have much credibility to pull off even 20 seconds of that particular song.

Coffey survived his lack of credibility. But his attacking Hank Williams so badly, in which he was trying to sound more like Cher than himself with that machine-gun vibrato was incredibly grating. I cringed every time he tried to stretch the notes out to sound like he could sing. Exactly why now John Rich decided to become a hardass is beyond me. Forgetting that he's right about Coffey, he wasn't exactly critical about most of these other contestants (Ashlee in particular, but all of them, in general) over three previous weeks. Why they're requiring them to sing a song and a quarter instead of just two or just one is...mystifying. It's not like NBC has no ability to show a rerun of 30 Rock to kill a half-hour. Stretching this past the point of caring is just a bit much.

Tommy the Sailor Man does 1.25 songs, "Bless The Broken Road" and "Tiny Dancer", both of which at least hint at some kind of credibility, but "Broken Road" was a bit too shiny and pop, plus he wore his guitar for about half the song without touching it until later, and he looked a bit goofy. The bad note I can forgive, because of the really shitty treatment he got from John Rich. Rich is doing a helluva job trying to make me thing he's just a vindictive little prick who's being an ass because he can/because Big & Rich has lost more than a little relevance anymore. The jingoism and his Navy comrades being shoved at me, though, I don't forgive. I get it, it's July 4th week, patriotism, blah blah, but if he can't sing great at times, it doesn't matter what his background is. And his high-octane "Tiny Dancer"sounded like country. It also sounded like ass, so it evens out.

Pearl Heart: less is much more. They harmonized every little bit on the Restless Heart song. Trouble is, they Wilson Phillips'd it into the land of melted Velveeta. It got a bit cheesy, and would have been more moving if they simply reserved the harmonies to the chorus. It was too much. And it's their albatross. I get that they're a vocal group, but even the vocal groups have some versatility to them. "I'll Still Be Loving You" was better than "One Way Ticket", but it still was a lot of excess and not much personality from the three of them.

Melissa oversang a little on "This One's For The Girls" (which is like saying King Kong is just a little bit taller than everyone else), but it still managed to be pretty good because I'd rather someone showed a personality while being able to sing instead of either having a personality or being able to sing. Her "Landslide" got a little ruined by her lack of tenderness, but still it's saying a lot that she could suck and still probably get half of all the votes.

Shawn remains a joke. Her range is limited, some of her notes in "Breathe" were so low they were scraping the pavement. Plus, I just get the sense she's not a very warm person in real life. It's stretching credibility to hear her sing a love song. The high note at the end had me reeling. Just a mess. As for the Randy Travis, in addition to being about a minute too short to develop into anything important, it was a train wreck.

Aside from occasionally singing from his nasal cavity, Gabe did a respectable job on the Bon Jovi song. I kinda wish a country act would already cover it and get it over with, so there's something new and fresh to compare it with. He's Melissa's only competition, but he doesn't have a lot of charisma. As for "The Fireman", he mumbled his way through it at the start before I recognized it. In that 20-second performance, though, there was nothing playful or sexual or lively about him. He just comes out and sings. But he needs to sing with a personality. That still hasn't happened.

Laura & Sophie sing "Walking On Sunshine", which is a mistake. Why Jeffrey decided to "choose" this song for them is utterly confusing. They're old-school country on a country talent show, and you'll telling them they need to go sing a pop song? Wasn't he judging last week? Didn't he see the trains pile up on one another's cabooses? Is his short-term memory gone? Their harmonies genuinely sound amateurish this week, and compared to last week they were the Sweethearts Of The Rodeo. It was horrible. At least Jeffrey was very contrite about his mistake. He knew that someone somewhere fucked up, and I'm glad he instantly decided to fall on his sword over it. And "Because Of You" was even worse.

It sounds unfair they survived while Alyson was eliminated, but I don't think so, because I was forgetting how to spell Alyson this week, and the Stepford Wives personality rendered her robotic. Plus, it has to be a mercy killing, because the less time she'd have to use John Rich as a mentor, the better for her skills and her sanity.

Alyson as expected has John Rich hating her again, and I think giving her bad advice on top of it. It doesn't add anything special to start that song they way he insisted they do it. I think she's letting herself get manipulated by someone who could care less if she's still on the show. And it shows, because half of her notes are incredibly pitchy and she's going through the motions like a whipped dog. She's listening to John Rich instead of her instincts. And I'm not sure listening to him was all it's cracked up to be.

I'm on the verge of being over this show. Half the contestants generally stink, with Melissa ...............Gabe....................Pearl Heart and Ashlee, in that exact order and space between them, being the only ones worth half-heartedly rooting for. And I have some sympathy for Laura & Sophie and Sailor Boy, but they're gonna be executed eventually. The others can't die fast enough, and with more half-assed performing, and even more half-assed John Rich-ing, neither can this show. Just the same, I'm in it for the death spiral-fascination.

Edited by cvbear, Jun 30, 2008 @ 11:59 PM.

GilvearSt

GilvearSt

Fanatic

Posted Jul 1, 2008 @ 12:02 AM

I have a problem with the judges suddenly going after people for not being country enough. It's not like Coffey changed since last week; he's never been country and they still put him on the show. They don't like the contestants, tough! They're to blame.

How did Coffey escape the bottom two? He was awful last week and awful again this week. And yes, he isn't country, but more importantly, he's not a very good singer. It's not that he's out of place, it's that I don't want to hear him in any circumstance.

Ashlee was good, but nothing special. She was reaching for those high notes and I hated the piano to guitar thing. She's very awkward. Shawn was also very awkward, but part of that is that not even Faith sounds good singing that song live. Pearl Heart was very lucky to get a sob story from Jeff to go along with the song he gave them. That'll keep them safe and it made it hard for the judges to critique them for their messed up harmonies.

I love Tommy, but Rascal Flatts is not where you need to go to come back from a "not country enough" critique since they're not all that country themselves. He was good. I was actually far more interested in Tiny Dancer. I think Tommy is very into country music, but he also isn't going to twang or do anything else unnatural to himself just to appeal to the voters. When Jewel tried to get him to add affectations to Maniac last week he resisted and again this week he isn't putting anything on just to "sound country." To me being true to yourself is way more country music than being an affected performer, but what do I know? Also, I see nothing wrong with having other musical interests outside of country music; versatility should only make him a stronger musician. I hope he makes it to original song week, because I think that will be very telling in terms of whether or not he's a country artist.

As much as I love Tommy, I did not enjoy the 29,000 references to his navy background. While he seemed to have very little to do with it, it made it seem like he was playing his nave connections for votes and I doubt that that is his intent.

Gabe isn't a country-rock guy so Bon Jovi wasn't the best choice. He sounded good, but his second song was where he really settled into his voice.

Melissa gets a guitar this week. I think she's one of the strongest competitors but the pimping continues to be way over the top based on what she's actually doing on stage.

Laura and Sophie aren't ready for this, but the judges are crazy for getting on them now for that seeing as the judges could have not put them through if they wanted. Tonight was not good, the song had no life. I did enjoy when Jewel called one of them out on looking like she was going to cry and the girl shut her right down. The look on the girl's face read "That's just my face, but thanks bitch."

Not sad or surprised to see Alyson go. She was directly competing against Melissa as a type of singer and was being outsung.

Billy is still awful and I like how each episode Katie is slowly taking over. I assume by the finale Katie will be going all the work and all Billy will have to do is stand next to her on stage.

wdallan

wdallan

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 1, 2008 @ 1:29 AM

Totally agree with others complaining about the judges nailing contestants for not being country enough when THEY put through to the finals.

The two males judges are rude. Not rude in a Simon Cowell "tell it like it is" kind of way, but just plain rude. They aren't being clever or funny or helpful -- just mean-spirited. It drains every bit of enjoyment out of the show for me. Usually, I hate it when contestants talk back to the judges, but I really wanted them to tell off the judges.

Edited by wdallan, Jul 1, 2008 @ 1:34 AM.

MysteryAuthor

MysteryAuthor

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 1, 2008 @ 2:02 AM

Thank you, Hildegard. Your comments were much better than the show. And LOL the Shining Twins. Every time they appear, I growl, "Redrum, redrum..."

yaminbluth

yaminbluth

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 1, 2008 @ 2:45 AM

Why am I still watching this show? Tonight's episode was definitely the worst yet... and that's really saying something.

I ask myself that same question every week, and this week was no exception...blarg...

As the groups go, Pearl Heart was good but didn't blow me away. Still very solid, though. Laura and Sophie were terrible, and unlike Jewel and others, I don't think the arrangement (or song choice in general) did them any favors either. Something Jeffrey said made me wonder if the two of them are having personal issues at the moment.

Yeah, when he said they need to stick together or something to that effect? I wondered that as well...

My favorites after tonight (which is not saying much) were:

Melissa: (she took one of my fave songs from one of my fav singers, managed to make it her own in a good way, and I think she knows her limits as an artist)
Gabe: (for shizz the best male contestant remaining...I enjoy him every week, and could see him having long term success in country music)
Ashlee: (I think she's got talent, and could easily find success in the country music world of Carries, Taylors, Kellies, etc...young pretty blonds seem to be the thing in country music right now)
Pearl Heart: (even though their harmonies are waaaayyyy off sometimes...I think they're getting better and better with each passing week)

I can stand:

Shawn: (I actually thought she sang well tonight...but I can't see her lasting much longer)
Laura and Sophie: (I especially liked that one of them played guitar tonight...it was a change...but "Because Of You" was awful...I'm still brain bleaching after that mess)
Tommy: (has moments of meh, which on this show, might as well be brilliance of Brad Paisley proportions)
Alyson: (she was decent...kind of sucks she's gone, but wouldn't surprise me if some label picked her up and she released a country record)

Can take or leave, except not reall take...so please get the hell out:

Coffey: (just no...he sucks so much. Though I was like WTF when John Rich was like "blah blah you're not country blah blah"...uhhhh......last week was a pop theme...on a country show...and you put him through! Pretty sure it was clear from the get go that he was NOT country!)

The judges bug BIG time!!! Billy Ray is not getting much better...see you next Monday!!!

sundodger78

sundodger78

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 1, 2008 @ 5:26 AM

Melissa's nose crinkles; yes, you've hit in on the nose (no pun intended). They were mildly noticeable, but tonight they really started to bug me. Then my sister calls and boy did I get an earful. She can't stand even to listen to Mel because of the crinkling. It reminded her too much of grade school when the needy girl used it as an affectation saying aren't I just so cute? I guess we're not the only ones it's bothering.

Whoa, Alyson surely fell apart tonight and reverted back to Miss Pork Belly Fair and Lawn Accessories pageant contestant. She sure hit the panic button. Even if she somehow squeeked by Sapho and Sophie this week I think she probably would have been gone next week because America saw her give the finger on national t.v. Some things you should learn to forget even if they come in handy at the MPBF and LA pageant.

Speaking of Sapho and Sophie: Awwww, young love. Here today; hear it sung badly tonight. Remember a couple of weeks ago in their intro they said they were having problems because of the pressure they were under? Maybe it finally came to a boil. They sounded more like two competing high school divas than a duo.

On a more serious note, am I the only person totally bothered by their innapropiate song choices for their ages? Their choices and Jeff's? P.Y.T. was all you Jeff.
But, how can you F*** up Katrina and the Waves. It's a happy summer song. In the winter it makes you think it's summer time. Can they sing it straight and be happy go lucky teenagers? Apparantly not. They slow it way down and then they try to sex it up? I'm especially talking to you on the left. That was not sultry, dude. That was pure ewwwwww.

And NOT one of the judges had the guts to call them on it.

Maybe a prude gene is mutating in my body and the moral majority has taken me over. Just plain eww.

On the bright side I do like the little tidbits the judges are letting out like the girls fighting and Ashlee's flirting with the bellhop.

SweetSable

SweetSable

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 1, 2008 @ 6:30 AM

I think she [Alyson] probably would have been gone next week because America saw her give the finger on national t.v.

Actually, I would have voted for her for just that reason! Someone needs to give the entire show the finger. It has become just bad, bad, bad. Last season was the first time I watched it and it was so much better - I can't believe this is the same show.

They said that next week 2 acts will be voted off. I wonder if it was originally planned that way or if NBC realizes the show stinks and wants to get it over quicker.

And when it was announced that Laura and Sophie were performing "I'm Walking on Sunshine" I thought, great, finally an age-appropriate song. But they someone managed to make it sound like a funeral dirge.

Skittl1321

Skittl1321

Fanatic

Posted Jul 1, 2008 @ 7:18 AM

What was the point of them singing two songs if one song was incredibly cut, and the other song was pratically non-existant?
I thought "This One's For the Girls" might have been good if I wasn't so annoyed at how "This is for all you girls about 42, tossing penny's into the fountain of youth- and CHORUS!" It was just so jarring. Why cut all that just to put in another song that only gets 20 seconds of play?

Once again I only saw the first hour. As much as I love country, this show is not as good as the Mole. I did flip back and forth, but only managed to catch a couple songs in the second hour. Wow- Lauren and Sophie did NOT do well today.

I didn't LOVE Pearl Heart, but I thought they did one of the better jobs. Giving ackward girl a guitar was a great idea. Wish I had thought of that. (I did, a few episodes ago).

Gabe was fantastic- I loved how he did Fireman!

And lastly- Tommy Stanley was bad. His voice is not good. And while I really appreciate the military service, I thought brining the sailors on was a bit silly. Have them wave from the audience- but as it was I saw it as a producers ploy for votes for him.

A Beaverhausen

A Beaverhausen

Fanatic

Posted Jul 1, 2008 @ 8:12 AM

You know you're a crappy TV host when the network feels compelled to haul out your eight-year-old to help you. I think the whole "family" theme this week was just an excuse to avoid letting Billy Ray open the show by himself.

Not only is it glaringly obvious that he is reading his commentary, he seems to be reading it phonetically. Maybe that's why he seems so very stiff and awkward.

And I would really like to know who the hell is voting for Lauren and Sophie. They have been awful since the beginning. What a way to suck the air out of Walking on Sunshine.

FourEyedNerd

FourEyedNerd

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 1, 2008 @ 8:13 AM

Alyson flipped John Rich the bird!!! Sweet.......

I hate how Jewel gives Cah-fay "constructive" criticism, and then turns around and is a complete bitch to Alyson. At least Alyson can actually sing. I get what Jewel meant, but she also actually said "I just don't like (was it "you", she said?)." I don't get what she sees in Mr. Gravel Voice. Cah-fay's trying to sound like somone, and I can't figure out who - some weird cross between John Mayer and Brian Knight, maybe. I'm glad he attempted an actual country song, only because it revealed even more what a hack he is. It's quite a feat to take one of the most countrified country songs ever and make it sound completely soul-less and not country at all. His face after he was done and after the criticism he got from the judges was interesting. He actually looked scared (and pissed) for the first time, like he realized "oh, shit, they're on to me now." He didn't even mug for the camera when they were putting up the number to vote for him. I can't believe this hack hasn't been voted off yet, if only for his poor singing voice.
"I grew up in Texas and raised sheep, y'all!" So freakin' what?!? I could have grown up in New York City and sang more country than you.

Tommy - no words, really, except he does seem like a genuinely nice guy - but I can't stand watching him sing. He still does that dance move that looks like he's trying to hold it while waiting to go to the bathroom....

Laura and Sophie - they went back to the slumber party. They do better when they stand still instead of doing that walk-across-the-stage-move. And I can see where people are getting a sense of competition between the two. I still don't know which is which, but I do know it seemed like the one with the braces was trying to sing over the other one.

Pearl Heart - I REALLY wish they would have not harmonized that ENTIRE song. Even though the "front" girl is timid on stage, she has a very nice voice and I'd like to get the chance to hear it more often. I was surprised when they said they had never heard the song before - it was pretty mainstream for awhile; so if they have knowledge of country music I don't know why they wouldn't at least recognize it. Too young, maybe?

Ashlee and Shawn - I can take or leave both of them. I think Ashlee seems more genuine as a person, so I guess I'd take her over Shawn. Shawn looks like she wants to cut a bitch. The thing that bugs me about them is I can never understand the words when they are singing. If I don't already know the lyrics, I'm SOL - they come out garbled as hell, as if the girls are making out with the mircophone. They also both tend to sing in a jailbait baby-voice when they sing slow songs.

Melissa - great voice, wish she would try to feel the song more, as someone upthread mentioned.

Gabe - still a great singing voice, he's the only one I consider truly "country", and he's one of the only ones who doesn't look like his veins are going to pop out while singing - it's effortless for him. I even actually felt some mojo for him for the first time this week. And I liked it.....

Go Chet! Don't listen to Billy Ray, you go girl! (or boy, actually)

HerRoyalHighnes

HerRoyalHighnes

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 1, 2008 @ 8:18 AM

I think John Rich has crossed the line from criticizing to being downright insulting. And on the night their families were there? Not cool, man.... not cool.
And it could have been the beer, but I thought Jeff was hot last night (??).

Laura (Laurie?) and Sophie, on that last song, were a hot mess. If I didn't know better, I'd say Laura tanked it on purpose, because how can you sing that bad and not know?

HIYA, CHET! Where you bean?
It would have Made. My. Night. if BRC had closed the show with "Okay, Chet, you can vote now!"

ETA: I don't get my panties in a bunch over this sort of thing, but I wonder if the fact that BRC's son was wearing a confederate uniform hat has caused any controversy?

Edited by HerRoyalHighnes, Jul 1, 2008 @ 8:22 AM.

mooncreek

mooncreek

Stalker

Posted Jul 1, 2008 @ 9:35 AM

I was rewatching the bit when Alyson gives John Rich the finger and it doesn't appear there's an argument going on. She's actually goofing around. Yes, she can't stand JR and his questionable advice, but that's not what's happening in that scene. Meaning the editors either knew she'd be gone or were unnecessarily cruel.

CRFTony

CRFTony

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 1, 2008 @ 9:51 AM

My goodness, this show is just all kinds of terrible. I never watched if before, but when I saw the promos I thought it looked pretty good. I thought Idol was pretty lame last year but it's still heads and shoulders above this crap-fest.

It's like talent night at the county fair. And most of these contestants would still lose. I can't hear any of them on the radio. And those girls who sang last... BOTH of those songs would be proudly featured on American Idols bad audition rounds. That was god awful "singing" and not a single judge called them on it.

I think this might be the worst "talent" show I've ever seen on network tv.

quothapril

quothapril

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 1, 2008 @ 10:27 AM

And it could have been the beer, but I thought Jeff was hot last night (??).

He's an attractive guy if you like that type. One thing I was noticing last night is that his "mentoring" style is an interesting contrast to the other two. He's the only judge we've actually seen coming up with song ideas (although it wouldn't surprise me if all the contestants have pretty limited options in reality, because otherwise, I don't believe for a second they'd choose some of that shit). That has its good and bad points, but mostly I don't have a problem with it, because whoever wins this show is going to have to get used to being told what to sing, when to sing it, and how. Plus, Jeffrey is dealing with some of the youngest contestants, and I think he's doing a really good job from that POV. Last night I got the vibe that all the girls were genuinely fond of him and seemed anxious to hear his opinion, and he's managed to give them constructive criticism without hurting their feelings too much. I'm glad they matched him up with the groups, because they're the ones who need that supportive relationship the most. If John Rich was mentoring those kids, Laura and Sophie would probably be tearing out each other's hair and the little sister from Pearl Heart would've had a nervous breakdown.

Edited by quothapril, Jul 1, 2008 @ 10:27 AM.

starwannabe

starwannabe

Fanatic

Posted Jul 1, 2008 @ 11:18 AM

Cough-AY. I wouldn't walk two feet to hear that whinnying, goat-throated, mushmouthed, screwed up pronunciation weakass

My god, that vibrato was driving me up a tree. I was literally cringing, especially on the held notes.

I didn't start watching NS until two seasons ago (Chris Young -- sigh!). Too bad, because I only got to witness two decent seasons. I'm officially deeming this season The Bastardization of Nashville Star.

yaminbluth

yaminbluth

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 1, 2008 @ 1:18 PM

They said that next week 2 acts will be voted off. I wonder if it was originally planned that way or if NBC realizes the show stinks and wants to get it over quicker.

Does anyone know how the show is doing in the ratings? I just checked the Nielsen website, and apparently the first hour last night was fourth amongst the big five networks, and ratings actually went up in the second hour by a bit...I wonder if the viewership of this show is declining any?

GilvearSt

GilvearSt

Fanatic

Posted Jul 1, 2008 @ 1:21 PM

And lastly- Tommy Stanley was bad. His voice is not good. And while I really appreciate the military service, I thought brining the sailors on was a bit silly. Have them wave from the audience- but as it was I saw it as a producers ploy for votes for him.

It was probably really nice for Tommy to see those guys again, but it was a grab for votes on the producers part. I think they must know that Coffey is not long for the competition and they don't want the mentoring groups to get too uneven. They need to loose another girl before Tommy goes. Between the pans for Coffey and Shawn and the many reminders of Tommy's service, I think it's clear that the producers want the double cut next week to be Shawn and Coffey and are worried about Tommy's vote totals after hitting the bottom two last week.

Because of the mentoring thing, the producers obviously want one from each to make it to the final three. Melissa, Pearl Heart and Gabe all seem the likely choices based on the good comments they got this week and the way their competitors were treated. Laura and Sophie were actually better this week, but the judges come at them for being too young. Coffey's shtick hasn't changed but suddenly the judges get ruthless. Shawn hasn't ever been anything better than a good bar singer, but now she's an inconsistent mess. The judges and producers have a desired order of placement and they're going to push to get it even if their comments don't really make sense.

Occasional Hope

Occasional Hope

Fanatic

Posted Jul 1, 2008 @ 1:38 PM

Why give them two songs each, if they then only sing about five seconds of the second one?

Ashlee: Don't Stop Believing isn't country, but wasn't too bad, apart from being a bit shrieky at times. She seems to have sorted out her diction issues, so that's a plus. I liked what little we got of Help Me Make It Through The Night, and would have much preferred this one to be the one we heard more of.

Coffey: I actually quite enjoyed him on Hey Good Lookin', I thought he toned down the vocal mannerisms a lot, and the first half sounded almost country. Country Roads was horrible with the goaty vibrato and exessive interjections on overdrive.

Tommy: Please will America stop voting for him? He was completely out of tune on God Blessed The Broken Road, positively cringeworthy. John Rich may be a jerk, but telling Tommy to go back to the Navy was dead on. Tiny Dancer was, if anything, worse. Also, there are Elton John songs that can be made to sound country, but this isn't one of them.

Pearl Heart: Their harmonies were unpleasantly dissonant on both songs. I slightly preferred One Way Ticket.

Melissa: Good on the verses of This One's For The Girls, but she ggot a bit shouty/shrieky in the chorus, and I'm still not totally convinced she's a country singer. Landslide was a pretty good vocal, but not country at all, to my ears.

Shawn: OK but lacked vocal personality on Breathe, which is a song I find dull anyway. I actually quite liked Forever and Ever Amen.

Gabe was good on Wanted Dead Or Alive, and showed a bit of life for once. I also liked The Fireman. But judges: of course he's the best male in the competition - you're comparing him to Tommy and Coffey.

Alyson: tuneless and shouty on She's In Love With The Boy. I won't miss her, even though I'd rather have seen Tommy go home.

Laura & Sophie: I missed their first song. Because Of You was truly appalling. The shorter one was nastily off key and shrill. Really, really bad. If we're losing two next week, they can go along with Tommy.

SweetSable

SweetSable

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 1, 2008 @ 1:52 PM

My goodness, this show is just all kinds of terrible. I never watched if before, but when I saw the promos I thought it looked pretty good. I thought Idol was pretty lame last year but it's still heads and shoulders above this crap-fest.

And last year Nashville Star was head and shoulders above Idol. I'm so disappointed this year <sigh>

SecondWife

SecondWife

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 1, 2008 @ 1:55 PM

I do love me a Potes weecap--hiLARious!!

L&S: Who the heck is voting for these two??

Alyson: not sorry to see her go, but she definitely should have outlasted L&S

Tommy: I wish he had done more Tiny Dancer and less GBTBR

Coffey: Being raised in Texas and cleaning rabbit cages does NOT make you country.

Melissa: Fantastic!

Gabe: Equally fantastic! Ladies and gents, your final two!

Pearl Heart: Love the song, but the harmony should have stayed on just the chorus.

Shawn: Wow, not good at all! But she does look nice.

Ashlee: Impresses me more and more. I predict top 4 with her.

Say what you want about John Rich, but the man knows the country music business. I want him to produce my album when I get to Nashville.

wdallan

wdallan

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 1, 2008 @ 3:20 PM

I was rewatching the bit when Alyson gives John Rich the finger and it doesn't appear there's an argument going on. She's actually goofing around. Yes, she can't stand JR and his questionable advice, but that's not what's happening in that scene. Meaning the editors either knew she'd be gone or were unnecessarily cruel.

I don't think she even gave him the finger either. Their demeanor after the "flip" was not as hostile as I expected, so I rewatched that section. If you look carefully, when her hand comes down and is unblurred, she has her first two fingers together. She might have moved her fingers, but it would have been difficult to do. I actually think TPTB wanted to throw her overboard and make her look bad -- and I'm usually loathe to listen to conspiracy theories.

Tallulah2

Tallulah2

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 1, 2008 @ 3:34 PM

I just thought of a bright spot in the black hole that was last night's show: no skank dancers! Whew!

sundodger78

sundodger78

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 1, 2008 @ 4:26 PM

Coffey and Carmen Rasmussen are touring this summer; The Sound of Music. They'll be singing the Goat Song duet.