4-3: "Fly the Super Gay Skies" 2008.06.26

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

64 replies to this topic

pairafids

pairafids

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 27, 2008 @ 12:58 AM

This episode again had only a very short scene from her act. I would have preferred to see a little more of that and a little less of, say, the airplane trip. Are the show clips shorter this season than in the past, or am I just confusing it with watching her show specials?

Ma Griffin is too adorable. She's such a sport, and so supportive and loving. Last week it was the underwear with the unseemly sayings ("It's not my thing, but I think they'll sell"), and this week demonstrating being a crazed Mardi Gras parader with condoms (with her daughter's name on them!) being thrown at her. Have another box of wine, Ma G, you deserve it!

paradig_m

paradig_m

Fanatic

Posted Jun 27, 2008 @ 1:14 AM

I think Kathy's imitation of a queen abusing Jessica was probably the funniest thing this episode.

I also loved Margaret Cho's quip: "You make kids gay." (I might've screwed that up somehow. :/)

Deigh

Deigh

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 27, 2008 @ 8:11 AM

I thought the act was funny, but I agree I would like to see more of it.

Lewisfan48

Lewisfan48

Fanatic

Posted Jun 27, 2008 @ 8:40 AM

Great episode.

Seeing Kathy, Margaret Cho and Cyndi Lauper together in one room was so many levels of awesome.

crazy_girl

crazy_girl

Fanatic

Posted Jun 27, 2008 @ 9:04 AM

Seeing Kathy, Margaret Cho and Cyndi Lauper together in one room was so many levels of awesome.

Agreed. I think they should all have their own show. I don't know what they'd do on this show but it would be awesome.

I loved her at the zoo--asking how much the Koala is, asking if they ever dress up the kangaroos, telling Lance to get naked next to a kangeroo, making fun of the Emu . . .

I also enjoyed her "audience with Olivia Newton John" although I really wish Carson Kressley wasn't there, being an ass kiss. ONJ didn't quite know what to think about Kathy and I feel like Carson made it more awkward. But then, I don't like him much so maybe it's just his personality.

boogity bee

boogity bee

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 27, 2008 @ 9:13 AM

I mostly liked this episode. Olivia Newton-John and Cyndi Lauper rule. Margaret Cho can disappear any time now - she is so irritating. There's no way she's more famous/visible than Kathy right now (maybe in the past). Maybe she led the parade because she's sort of famous but actually queer, while Kathy is more famous but straight. Maybe she actually is way more A-list but I tune her out because I can't stand her!

Did I catch Kathy tickling Jessica when she was teasing her? Kathy's good relationship with her staff is one of my favorite aspects of this show. And it's good to see Maggie Griffin - hilarious and a good sport and I hope she's doing okay.

Hailey

Hailey

Fanatic

Posted Jun 27, 2008 @ 9:43 AM

And it's good to see Maggie Griffin - hilarious and a good sport and I hope she's doing okay.

Love her. I thought it was interesting that the condom parade conversation took place back in the condo on the blue plaid couch. I thought she moved in with Kathy, but that may not have been a long-term thing.

I always find it fascinating how Kathy is before a show. It's pretty intense and a great example of how serious she takes her job.

I loved her at the zoo--asking how much the Koala is, asking if they ever dress up the kangaroos, telling Lance to get naked next to a kangaroo, making fun of the Emu . . .

I've got an AmEx Black card! Ha. Plus, I just love Lance Bass. He seems like such a sweet guy. The kangaroo spooning was odd, but you know, whatever.

rissatx

rissatx

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 27, 2008 @ 11:54 AM

I loved the clips of her comedy act, the scene with her mom, the whole Cyndi, Margaret and Kathy trio scenes (LOVED IT!) and basically the whole parade scene especially when that woman tried to shove Kathy away! LOL

Once again there were a few aspects of it that didn't make sense. I only mention it because it seems like the "storylines" that don't make any sense are the ones that are so obviously scripted. So she meets her friend (and we know he is her friend) Lance Bass to go to the zoo but instead of just taking one assistant in case they need her to do something menial(Jessica most likely) she brings along all of Team Griffin. I was like WTF why are they there ONCE again! She is hanging out with her friend and they are acting like they belong there?! They were giggling and talking to Lance who (to me) looked really uncomfortable. I assume that when she and Lance hang out normally those three aren't there. I was so relieved that they weren't there when she was talking to Margaret and Cyndi and just let the three of them shine. I also didn't understand what the queer eye guy was doing there (sorry don't know his name) that was a little confusing and that scene was a little uncomfortable.

Over all I enjoyed this episode a TON more than last week.

WizardofAhs

WizardofAhs

Fanatic

Posted Jun 27, 2008 @ 12:08 PM

Good episode, better than last week I thought. I had just walked out of the room when they were going to a commercial and doing the "coming up" preview for the next segment, and when I heard Kathy say she heard Richard Gere put a wallaby up his butt I just about lost it. I mean, the crap she gets away with, and the outrageous things that come out of her are what keep me watching. I am always guaranteed a good laugh.

I think some of the editing is kind of wonky this season, or maybe I'm just noticing inconsistencies more, but I never really got why exactly she was meeting with Olivia Newton John. Was ONJ a big fan of hers and wanted to see her? Or did Bravo contact ONJ and ask if she'd be in the show since they were coming to Australia or something? That whole segment just seemed so random and pointless. And I agree, Carson Kressley was at his most annoying, practically pawing all over ONJ.

donleavy

donleavy

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 27, 2008 @ 1:02 PM

Margaret Cho can disappear any time now - she is so irritating. There's no way she's more famous/visible than Kathy right now (maybe in the past).

I used to love Margaret. Still do, more or less. But I saw one of her recent concert DVD's, and noticed how very sloooow her show is. She tells a joke, and always waits for the laugh. I never noticed that until I started watching Kathy's routines, which are just rapid-fire bam-bam-bam non-stop funny! It made me appreciate Kathy more. The girl can think on her feet.

Now we know where she got those fake boobs for her A-List Awards wardrobe malfunction skit.

AnnieGirl

AnnieGirl

Fanatic

Posted Jun 27, 2008 @ 5:36 PM

Kathy's bitch fight to the emu was hilarious.

I adore Maggie. Her faced looked very thin in this episode, although she always looks lovely. I hope she's well.

TravelMug

TravelMug

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 27, 2008 @ 10:41 PM

Since I started watching D-List, I've been really wanting to see a Margaret Cho reality show, so I basically died and went to heaven in the costume shop scene.

Funkybeat

Funkybeat

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 27, 2008 @ 10:52 PM

Margaret Cho is not more famous than Kathy. I didn't get that at all. Maybe they just meant in Australia. But in America, even before the reality show, Kathy was definitely more famous.

I tried to watch some Margaret clips after this show.

Margaret sucks as a comedian. Whoever said she pauses too much is absolutely right. And her delivery just sounds like she's sleeping through it. I don't get why she has fans! Kathy is so passionate during every single word of her standup. And she's so quick. Kathy sort of worshiping Margaret bothered me because Kathy is just so much better.

This episode was pretty boring. Honestly, a first for this show. This season's just kind of weird though. Too much goddamn Tom and Tiffany. Too much staged shit. Seasons 1 and 2 were the best.

Edited by Funkybeat, Jun 27, 2008 @ 10:53 PM.

Kakariki

Kakariki

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 28, 2008 @ 2:30 AM

OK, I have to admit I was really bummed by the whole Olivia Newton-John thing. I mean she was a HUGE star iin the late 70's and early 80's! And for Kathy to treat her as some sort of Aussie novelty was just odd. In my mind and the mind of lots of people she was by far the biggest star on that episode. So maybe Kathy didn't like her and down played the segment???

And seriously, Carson Kressley (sic) just needs to go away and disappear now.

JakeyIsSusan

JakeyIsSusan

Fanatic

• Interests:television (duh!), pro wrestling, pop culture, awards shows, writing, dreaming, procrastinating

Posted Jun 28, 2008 @ 3:14 AM

As for the Kathy/Margaret dynamic, I found it funny that you could tell that, mutual respect aside, it was killing Kathy deep down that Margaret was the grand marshal of the parade. I found it fit in perfectly with the show's constant D-list theme.

Once again there were a few aspects of it that didn't make sense.

Like why was Carson there exactly? And word to wondering WTF having "an audience" is. They couldn't say, "I agreed to meet with Carson Kressley and Olivia Newton-John just for shits and giggles?"

Margaret Cho is not more famous than Kathy. I didn't get that at all. Maybe they just meant in Australia. But in America, even before the reality show, Kathy was definitely more famous

While I agree that Kathy likely eclipses Margaret now, Margaret was substantially more successful as a stand-up comedian. The year she released "I'm The One That I Want" (her first comedy DVD and arguably her best), Kathy hadn't even done Celebrity Mole yet. Kathy has done stand-up before and had an HBO special, but it wasn't until after Suddenly Susan when she revamped her career that she's hit her stride in that medium.

paradig_m

paradig_m

Fanatic

Posted Jun 28, 2008 @ 4:16 AM

It has to be said, so I will say it:

Cunt features!

jcin617

jcin617

Fanatic

• Interests:30 Rock, The 4400, Battlestar Galactica, Deadliest Catch, Family Guy, Heroes, Kathy Griffin: My Life on the D-List, The Office, Rome, The Simpsons, Ugly Betty

Posted Jun 28, 2008 @ 8:22 AM

But in America, even before the reality show, Kathy was definitely more famous.

In my case I knew about Margaret Cho and attended her concerts long before I knew of Kathy. As JakeyIsSusan points out, I'd guess Kathy is probably more widely known nowadays. But then again, they both make me laugh so its irrelevant to me who's more famous.

Edited by jcin617, Jun 28, 2008 @ 8:30 AM.

tribema

tribema

Fanatic

Posted Jun 28, 2008 @ 9:42 AM

What was the video Paula Abdul made herself?

donleavy

donleavy

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 28, 2008 @ 9:43 AM

In my case I knew about Margaret Cho and attended her concerts long before I knew of Kathy.

Yeah, this show (Emmy winning show!) did a lot of raise Mrs. Kathy's fame. Margaret was more famous before that, but I don't know if she was ever A-list. In any case, Kathy's just being nice to a friend.

I think Margaret is coming out with her own reality show, though. That will be interesting.

WizardofAhs

WizardofAhs

Fanatic

Posted Jun 28, 2008 @ 12:15 PM

Margaret Cho had her own TV sitcom, but it only lasted one season. Kathy was a supporting player on a sitcom that lasted four seasons. So to the general TV viewer, I'd say they are about equal in the recognition department. The Emmy win and View appearances have definitely raised Kathy's profile, however, while Margaret has moved in the other direction with web blogs.

Their stand-up acts are like night and day, though. Margaret has moved towards political agenda and social issues, and Kathy is purely about celebrity trashing. I used to love Cho's standup but her acts become less and less amusing the more political she becomes (for me, anyway). I barely cracked a smile through the last DVD Cho put out, whereas I can always get several good laughs out of any stand-up special Kathy does.

Which reminds me - each previous season of D-List was accompanied by a new Bravo stand-up special, and this one wasn't. Bummer.

ktayb

ktayb

Fanatic

Posted Jun 28, 2008 @ 9:30 PM

This episode was pretty boring. Honestly, a first for this show. This season's just kind of weird though. Too much goddamn Tom and Tiffany. Too much staged shit. Seasons 1 and 2 were the best.

ITA. In S1 & S2, Kathy was a D lister. Kathy showed a more real desperation to be famous. She isn't D list anymore. Now it just seems she and Bravo are creating D list situations for the show. Too forced, staged and not as humorous. I think it's great that now Kath is getting praise. She is hysterical in her specials and live. I just think it's time for her to find a different project.

Edited by ktayb, Jul 1, 2008 @ 3:36 PM.

lozzy

lozzy

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 29, 2008 @ 6:34 AM

Like why was Carson there exactly?

He's super popular over here. He's done a fair few events and whatnot around Aus in the years since Queer Eye started, so I assume they just thought "Kathy Griffin...gays...omg Carson".

Margaret Cho is not more famous than Kathy. I didn't get that at all. Maybe they just meant in Australia.

I would definitely say Kathy is more famous over here. That was bizarre.

I love Kathy so much but why does no American seem to be able to say 'Aussies' properly? It's an 'Ozz' sound not 'Oss'.

Edited by lozzy, Jun 29, 2008 @ 6:38 AM.

jcin617

jcin617

Fanatic

• Interests:30 Rock, The 4400, Battlestar Galactica, Deadliest Catch, Family Guy, Heroes, Kathy Griffin: My Life on the D-List, The Office, Rome, The Simpsons, Ugly Betty

Posted Jun 29, 2008 @ 8:03 AM

The standard American pronounciation is "Ossie"; the British and Australian is "Ozzie". At least, so says Merriam-Websters:

Pronunciation: \ˈȯ-sē, ˈ-sē, British & Australian usually ˈȯ-zē\

Edited by jcin617, Jun 29, 2008 @ 8:05 AM.

donleavy

donleavy

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 29, 2008 @ 12:43 PM

Margaret Cho had her own TV sitcom, but it only lasted one season. Kathy was a supporting player on a sitcom that lasted four seasons. So to the general TV viewer, I'd say they are about equal in the recognition department.

I'm not sure I'd agree with that. Margaret got her own sitcom because she'd achieved a lot of fame as a stand-up. The show alone was not her claim to fame. Kathy, on the other hand, was famous purely because of her sitcom. It was on longer, but she was not the star. She herself said that after Suddenly Susan was over, she couldn't get arrested.

I think Kathy is definitely more famous now, because Margaret hadn't been on TV for so long. But Margaret's kept up with her stand-up and maintained her core base of fans. So Margaret had more steady fame, whereas, Kathy's was more up and down (now up).

yosemite209

yosemite209

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 29, 2008 @ 2:23 PM

Wow, so glad to read that I'm not the only one who thinks this season is so obviously over scripted, & way, way, WAY too much of Team Griffin. WTF does she need 3 assistants anyway? Liked it much better when it was just Tiffany. I'm watching for Kathy, not those 3 giggling idiots.

I too am bummed we didn't get a new Bravo stand-up special with this season. Having seen he live, I love watching her specials, because she is just so funny.

DeMoTV

DeMoTV

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 29, 2008 @ 3:30 PM

Pure speculation: They're not showing as much of Kathy's stand up so that people will buy her CD. If all the material is known through her show, why shell out the bucks for it?

While "Team Griffin" isn't my favorite, what else is there to show? She's not with Matt, so that dynamic is gone. (Good riddance.) The other possibility is to show her meeting celebs along the way, which is shown. But that can be awkward. See ONJ. I was glad Carson was there as a buffer. ONJ didn't get Kathy at all. Looks like Sandra Dee really is a priss.

I'm not sure I'd want to see a revolving door of celebs, though I did enjoy Cyndi and Margaret. I feel like I'm getting to know the cast of characters, though I don't know why Tiffany is there. I get that Tom is the tour manager and Jessica is her assistant. I'd think that's enough, but I guess not.

Nobody tops Mother Maggie. "Go, gal." Too cute.

JakeyIsSusan

JakeyIsSusan

Fanatic

• Interests:television (duh!), pro wrestling, pop culture, awards shows, writing, dreaming, procrastinating

Posted Jun 29, 2008 @ 4:00 PM

I'm not sure I'd want to see a revolving door of celebs, though I did enjoy Cyndi and Margaret.

I wouldn't want the whole show to be a display of "Look how many famous people I know!" but Cyndi, Margaret and Kathy shopping at the drag store was quite something. But I do love when the celebrity appearances, when kept short, are not only completely random but it'll be revealed that Kathy knows them from a previous gig (such as Coolio last week).

donleavy

donleavy

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 29, 2008 @ 4:02 PM

WTF does she need 3 assistants anyway? Liked it much better when it was just Tiffany. I'm watching for Kathy, not those 3 giggling idiots.

Although I think it's true that Bravo wants a cast of characters, I think part of the reason is also that Kathy is generous with the fame. I think she enjoys helping an unfamous person become famous, even though she acts like she doesn't enjoy it. (My assistants are more famous than me! That sucks!) I think that's what she did for her gays in S1, except that little arrangement ended up not working out. And some people didn't want it (Matt). But I think she enjoys sharing the fame.

Her parents are a different story, of course. They're definitely not famewhores, and seem to be there purely to support Kathy. But everyone loves them the most.

AnnetteFun

AnnetteFun

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 29, 2008 @ 4:12 PM

Well, I thought this ep was better than last -- the Gay Mardi Gras in Australia looked like a blast. The Richard Gere comment made me LOL. Buckwheat was scary-looking. I can't STAND Carson what's-his-face and wish he would fade into oblivion. Margaret Cho has never been my cup o' tea....I thought maybe the Chief of Parade was because of a random popularity in Australia, but I guess not. Is she gay? I thought I had heard she had gotten married... Oh well, I don't really care enough to keep up on her. Yeah, it appears Maggie never fully moved in with Kathy and preferred to keep the little condo. That's great that she can apparently still live independently. I just LOVE that Kathy snarked on Nicole Kidman's frozen-ass face -- I'm so SICK of all these TV suck-ups saying how gorgeous she is, when she's looked like a freak for the past 8 or 10 years with that Botox Batbrow.

I know the episodes are all staged now (c'mon, CRAFTS AT ROSIE'S next week?) but "here's the thing": We know that no matter what they're doing, we'll get some impromptu stuff from Kathy that will crack us up. I think she's just bringing along Team Griffin as her straight-men, but I could do without the giggling Tiffany.

zelmia

zelmia

Fanatic

Posted Jun 29, 2008 @ 4:51 PM

Re: Team Griffin

I think it would help if they just included a few more shots of them actually doing what they were hired to do. That way at least we are reminded that, while they all get along and seem to be like a little family, the reality is they really do work for Kathy. I would hate to see our Kathy headed down the dangerously slippery slope to "The Gift" territory, when her entourage appear to have no real purpose other than to lug around her baggage and make her look like she's in charge of something.

Re: Margaret Cho vs Kathy

Margaret Cho has actually been around for quite a long time doing stand-up, with occasional appearances in other media. While she doesn't appeal to as wide an audience, necessarily, she has always been pretty consistent as a persona.
Kathy, while she is probably more well-known to a much larger audience (especially now) because of all her television appearances, has kind of hopped around a lot in her career. She has only relatively recently sort of settled on the "D-List" persona who has these brushes with greatness.

Edited by zelmia, Jun 29, 2008 @ 4:57 PM.