Secrets of a Restaurant Chef: Anne Burrell Tells All!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

848 replies to this topic

LadySadie

LadySadie

Fanatic

Posted Feb 8, 2012 @ 2:31 PM

The oven is set OK. I have a thermometer dangling from the top rack, and it's right on.

Were you using the convection setting on your oven? I did Anne's balsamic brisket a few months ago, and even though it braised for a couple hours I thought the meat was still a bit dry, which surprised me. It still tasted great though. I thought maybe using the convection option on the oven had dried the meat out, since it moves air around in the oven. Just a theory though.

Mlle Poilane

Mlle Poilane

Fanatic

Posted Feb 8, 2012 @ 4:56 PM

Were you using the convection setting on your oven?

No, I wasn't, but that was a good guess. I just used the regular oven.

strebor

strebor

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 9, 2012 @ 9:00 PM

WRT my post #792, I'm excited and so pleased to report that after freezing, the Bolognese sauce is divine. It looks bad in my tupperware (very brown and dry looking), but the taste is very beefy and wonderful.

maggie010

maggie010

Fanatic

Posted Mar 10, 2012 @ 12:16 AM

So good to know strebor - thanks for reporting back!

Bleeding Love

Bleeding Love

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 10, 2012 @ 5:28 PM

When was Worst Cooks in America taped in relation to when she taped the current new episodes of this? I've been watching that and see Anne wearing what looks like a wedding ring, there, too.

clare 32

clare 32

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 14, 2012 @ 3:35 PM

Why the hell did Food Network schedule Anne's new episodes at 8 a.m. ET on Saturdays!!!

Watt DeFark

Watt DeFark

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 1:24 PM

Why the hell did Food Network schedule Anne's new episodes at 8 a.m. ET on Saturdays!!!

Because she doesn't make cupcakes? She's not a 35 year old frat boy wanna-be? She doesn't make $10 dinners in 30 minutes with processed food?

It is an offense against humanity, IMO. Or at least against FN viewers who like to see cooking shows that might teach them something.

grisgris

grisgris

Fanatic

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 5:53 PM

I've noticed the time change as well. That's usually an indication that a show is on its way out. I always record shows and watch them in a block later in the day/evening, when I have time and want to relax, so from a viewing POT, it doesn't matter what time the show it on.

I have to admit that I am a huge fan of Anne's, but lately, I haven't been very interested in her shows. I will faithfully record them, but I rarely watch them to their entirety. Lately, she's been on a role where she's just making stuff that I'm not interested in. It's either too labor-intensive, or includes ingredients that aren't easily accessible.

When I've watched recent shows, to me, Anne just doesn't seem that "in to it." She still does a good job, but I sense boredom or something. Maybe FN is trying to mold her too much into something she's not comfortable with. I don't know. It just doesn't seem the same.

I still love Anne on other shows.

Mlle Poilane

Mlle Poilane

Fanatic

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 8:16 PM

I don't know. It just doesn't seem the same.

I totally agree with you, Grisgris. However, I was surprised when the FN began putting her show on early. That makes me wonder whether the ratings are poor. I would hate to see the show end because Anne is a very good, experienced culinary teacher.

Edited by Mlle Poilane, Apr 26, 2012 @ 6:19 PM.

clare 32

clare 32

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 19, 2012 @ 3:38 PM

If that time change for new shows indicates that Anne's show is on its way out, then I hope that she and Bobby Flay continue on Worst Cooks in America. Those two are a very good team.

I still think Anne is the best and most informative chef on Food Network. This from a former Rachael Ray fan who definitely got too full of herself. Anne IMO hasn't become that bad yet.

wallybear

wallybear

Fanatic

Posted Apr 19, 2012 @ 6:20 PM

I've seen crystal clear evidence that Anne is beginning to believe her own publicity

Curious- what's the evidence you've seen?

polpetti

polpetti

Couch Potato

Posted May 25, 2012 @ 10:53 AM

Anne Burrell comes out. In other news, Ted Allen is a jerk.

Edited by polpetti, May 25, 2012 @ 10:53 AM.

wallybear

wallybear

Fanatic

Posted May 25, 2012 @ 5:23 PM

I always assumed Anne was gay. I like Ted Allen, but that wasn't cool. No one should be publicly outed to the media by anyone other than themselves. I hope all is cool for Anne.

grisgris

grisgris

Fanatic

Posted May 25, 2012 @ 6:15 PM

Really. Who cares? I'm not keeling over in shock. For a while there, I actually thought she and Alex were an item. As long as the woman can cook and crank out decent shows, I couldn't care less whose team she plays for. I'm sure that Anne will handle Ted in her own way. I wonder if getting to judge the final round of "All-Stars Chopped" was part of the atonement package? BTW, does anybody wonder if we're going to see any new episodes of her show? FN would be majorly foolish to pull the plug on "SOARS" with the associated cookbooks and spin-off shows that Anne hosts.

Mlle Poilane

Mlle Poilane

Fanatic

Posted May 25, 2012 @ 8:35 PM

Anne posted on Twitter today a thank you for the "outpouring" of well wishers. She had only five well wishes, but anyway.... Ted has always had a loose tongue and a love of gossip, so it doesn't surprise me that he would say something. I'm sorry for Anne's girlfriend, Chef Koren Grievesen of Avec restaurant in Chicago, because she is a private person, according to the article.

BTW, Anne has a new show coming on the FN very soon. She just wrapped the taping in Boston yesterday. It has to do with chefs, and it sounds promising, but I'm not sure what it is exactly. Now, Anne fans will have two shows to enjoy.

Edited by Mlle Poilane, May 25, 2012 @ 8:36 PM.

lexilina

lexilina

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 25, 2012 @ 8:42 PM

I always assumed Anne was gay

What? Why? Assumptions are a bad bad thing. I could care less and never even thought about it. She rocks the kitchen, plain and simple.

wallybear

wallybear

Fanatic

Posted May 25, 2012 @ 10:43 PM

Because it's quite obvious that she is gay, so it's no stretch for me to make that statement. I could care less also; it is a statement of my opinion & nothing more, & has nothing to do with how she indeed does rock the kitchen.

Mlle Poillane, I agree, I feel sorry for her partner. I'm really surprised that Ted, who is gay, would do such a thing. It should've been up to Anne & her partner to make/not make any kind of comment on their relationship/sexuality.

Mlle Poilane

Mlle Poilane

Fanatic

Posted May 25, 2012 @ 11:17 PM

I'm afraid I tend to wander through life paying little attention to that kind of thing. I did wonder during one episode whether she had a boyfriend. When I saw the headline, I was surprised but even more surprised about Ted's role in the whole thing. Anne likes to box and to wrestle, and she's into sports bigtime, even when she travels to other cities. I assumed she was merely a tomboy -- my late mother's word for a girl who likes boyish things.

Edited by Mlle Poilane, May 25, 2012 @ 11:18 PM.

lola zee

lola zee

Channel Surfer

Posted May 26, 2012 @ 6:02 AM

I did not see any mention of Anne's partner's name in the article linked above. Since she values her privacy, it's a shame that someone in the media has "outed" her too. She's not a television personality and may have preferred to remain anonymous. As for Anne, she's handling the matter just right. I don't care for her personality but I feel that she and Ina have the two best shows on Food Network. That's all I know about her and that's all I care about.

Mlle Poilane

Mlle Poilane

Fanatic

Posted May 26, 2012 @ 8:20 PM

From the information that the media has put out, Anne's girlfriend is easily identifiable. I'm sorry that Ted found it necessary to make this announcement because it has to be a painful time for the girlfriend. I'm more interested in the shows these FN chefs put out than I am in their personal lives, and I'm looking forward to Anne's next show.

TWoP Gadget

TWoP Gadget

Fanatic

Posted May 27, 2012 @ 7:04 AM

Guys, I don't care who Anne is dating. This thread needs to be about a TV show. I know that Anne's personal life is inherently part of the show, but it shouldn't overtake the thread. Thanks.

strebor

strebor

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 15, 2012 @ 11:48 AM

Is this show even on anymore? Anne's one of my favs but TfN really fucks up with timeslots as far as I'm concerned.

qvole

qvole

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 15, 2012 @ 2:22 PM

Food Network shows reruns Mon through Fri at 2pm (EDT). The show doesn't seem to be producing new episodes.

PaminBB

PaminBB

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 15, 2012 @ 3:04 PM

I so miss seeing this show on the weekend. Sigh.

Leshyn63

Leshyn63

Video Archivist

Posted Aug 17, 2012 @ 7:31 PM

Food Network shows reruns Mon through Fri at 2pm (EDT). The show doesn't seem to be producing new episodes.

Your fears, unfortunately, are not unfounded. According to Anne herself, via Twitter, in response to the question,"@cmonta001: Any chance of another season of “Secrets”?"

"@cmonta001: @chefanneburrell sadly not - it makes me sad. BUT- there WILL BE another "in the kitchen" show! Onward and upward!"

DAMN YOU, FOOD NETWORK! DAMN YOU TO CULINARY HELL!!

grisgris

grisgris

Fanatic

Posted Aug 17, 2012 @ 8:11 PM

Are you kidding me? WOW! That's one of the few shows I watched. So Anne's now relegated to competitive shows????

What's left to watch? The Deen brothers, Pioneer Woman and I guess Justin Warner's new show?

Bastet Esq

Bastet Esq

Stalker

Posted Aug 17, 2012 @ 8:30 PM

I wish they'd have moved it to Cooking Channel rather than cancelling it outright. Were the numbers that bad? Given the crappy timeslot, I wouldn't be surprised.

I'll miss this show, since I enjoy when people just stand there and cook good food with no storylines and minimal chatter that isn't about the food. Thank heaven for PBS.

Edited by Bastet Esq, Aug 17, 2012 @ 8:31 PM.

clare 32

clare 32

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 18, 2012 @ 2:52 PM

I'm sorry to hear that Secrets is no more. At least we get the reruns during the week. I second that about PBS. I enjoy watching chefs cooking and Anne is one of the best. Now I wait to see what new show Food Network has in mind for Anne.

Harry24

Harry24

Fanatic

Posted Oct 13, 2012 @ 1:13 PM

I'm currently watching reruns of this show and saw Anne do something I've seen countless other TV chefs/cooks do: she touches meat/fowl and then dips her fingers into the salt. Is salt resistant to contamination? If not, what is the reason for using your fingers to dip into the salt, rather than pouring/grinding from a vessel or using a spoon (like with oils/spices, etc.)?

tahitigirl

tahitigirl

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 13, 2012 @ 2:14 PM

I've heard that salt is naturally anti-bacterial and therefore it's okay to do what you're describing. But that said, it still grates to see it!