2-1: "In The Dark" 2008.06.25

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

95 replies to this topic

TWoP Gadget

TWoP Gadget

Fanatic

Posted Jun 24, 2008 @ 7:26 PM

In the premiere episode, the 12 contestants head to Los Angeles where they will compete for $100,000 and a chance to prove they are Shear Genius. The stylists meet their panel of renowned judges - celebrity stylist Kim Vo, Allure West Coast editor Kelly Atterton, mentor and well-known stylist Rene Fris, and host Jaclyn Smith. Smith delivers the news that their first challenge will be cutting hair blindfolded, while their elimination challenge will be interpreting the hairstyles of famous cartoon characters. Betty Boop anyone? Hollywood celebrity hairstylist Neeko Abriol (clients include Vanessa Williams, Mary J. Blige, ), joins as guest judge.

katogal

katogal

Just Tuned In

Posted Jun 25, 2008 @ 10:06 PM

Buh Bye Oshun. Don't let the seagulls get you on the way out. I'm so glad he went early. If I had to hear one more pun I think I would drown myself.

Parker = Jeffrey Sebelia Version 2.0

Bravo - stop pimping the Real Housewives of Orange County!

isiscloud

isiscloud

Stalker

Posted Jun 25, 2008 @ 10:11 PM

Ok, I'll start this off.

I thought there was a bit (understatement of the year) of disconnect between the goal of the elimination challenge and the judging. The stylists weren't supposed to recreate the 'do 100% like Charlie did, but reimagine it and I thought Gail did a better job out of the three.

Also, they should have judged each character against each other and then selected from there.

The "in the dark" challenge was just dumb. I hope this isn't a sign that the show is changing to be more annoying.

Oshun and his smack talking made you know that he was going first. It was weird how they kept flashing to Nerisa. What was that about.

Jaclyn got the "Priscilla Presley" facelift, but not quite as bad. WTF was up with those fake cheekbones?

LOVE Kim. Kelly also had some good feedback as did Neeko.

ETA:
Can't wait for the "Angels" challenge.

Seriously, is the RHoOC still on even?

Edited by isiscloud, Jun 25, 2008 @ 10:13 PM.

LogCabinPat

LogCabinPat

Fanatic

Posted Jun 25, 2008 @ 10:15 PM

I was going to say that - thank God - they got rid of this season's Dr Boogey. But, as I recall, Dr Boogey went out with a lot more class than Oshun.

girlfriday19

girlfriday19

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 25, 2008 @ 10:16 PM

Re: the redhead who was styled like Jem, who didn't want her hair dyed... Who is she? It's killing me - I know her face, but I can't place her. Maybe she's a former Project Runway model?

I love Mr. Texas. He reminds me of Kayne-of-Many-Colors in voice and mannerisms and (potentially) overdone bravado.

the fresh maker

the fresh maker

Fanatic

Posted Jun 25, 2008 @ 10:17 PM

Whoever did the interviews must have told them, "Oh, and when you introduce yourself, make sure you identify your sexual orientation in some creative way."

The blindfold challenge was just brutal. Shouldn't these imitate a real-life situation to some degree?

Oshun, how shallow are you?

I was going to say that - thank God - they got rid of this season's Dr Boogey. But, as I recall, Dr Boogey went out with a lot more class than Oshun.

Dr. Boogey had more talent, too.

Edited by the fresh maker, Jun 25, 2008 @ 10:19 PM.

JadziaDax

JadziaDax

Fanatic

Posted Jun 25, 2008 @ 10:38 PM

Did Kim Vo's plastic surgeon wear a blindfold as well? Sheesh, that dude is scary to look at.

ksbear123

ksbear123

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 25, 2008 @ 10:38 PM

I love Mr. Texas. He reminds me of Kayne-of-Many-Colors in voice and mannerisms and (potentially) overdone bravado.

He reminds me of the designer-who-didn't-paint from Top Design. Only nicer. And with talent.

Oshun and his smack talking made you know that he was going first.

For all the reality shows I watch, I've never picked up the ability to tell "by the edit" who's going in first five minutes. Until tonight. Which means it was really obvious.

Shouldn't these imitate a real-life situation to some degree?

They used hedge trimmers last season, so I wouldn't get my hopes up.

And was I the only one who liked the one Betty Boop style (not the one w/ pin curls)?

Edited by ksbear123, Jun 26, 2008 @ 6:09 PM.

Three Olives

Three Olives

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 25, 2008 @ 10:41 PM

Oh thank God Oshun (It hurts me to type that name spelling) is gone, I could not stand him and he seemed so insecure.

The blind fold challenge was just stupid, when I have my haircut I don't have any sort of expectation for them to be able to do it well blindfolded no matter how incredible it is without a blindfold.

And maybe I'm just biased because Matthew Tulley's salon is literately across the street from my house and I have had my hair cut there many times but I didn't think bottom 3 was fair on that. I think that was one of the most difficult hairstyles out there to reinterpret , It really didn't look bad and when I saw it I totally saw the Marge Simpson connection even thought it was a completely different hairstyle.

MdMaxx

MdMaxx

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 25, 2008 @ 10:41 PM

So glad Oshun went first. The first challenge was just dumb.

I don't understand why the show would take on volunteers who won't let the stylists do things like colour their hair.

BeanyMalone

BeanyMalone

Fanatic

Posted Jun 25, 2008 @ 10:43 PM

They must have thought the blindfold thing would be more wacky than it ended up being, because it ended up being a bunch of bad haircuts and a couple of lucky ones. How astonishing.

I think on both this show and Project Runway, being able to explain what it was you were doing is as important as the actual doing of it. The bottom three Marge Simpson haircut I thought was a fair enough "everyday" interpretation -- blue black instead of blue, lots of volume -- that it should have landed the stylist (I can't remember their names) in the middle. He didn't explain it very well, though. The right styles were one and two, though.

And the new "head judge" (Vo? Bo?) was pretty good except for the freakish botoxed lips. I liked his hands on approach.

Shear Genius was a fun little diversion last summer. Looks like it will be again. At least this group laughed and seemed to be having a good time. We'll see how long that lasts.

Edited by BeanyMalone, Jun 25, 2008 @ 11:04 PM.

girlfriday19

girlfriday19

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 25, 2008 @ 10:45 PM

I don't understand why the show would take on volunteers who won't let the stylists do things like colour their hair.

I think it's more realistic though - there are a lot of people in the real world who don't want their hair cut short, or don't want it colored - and a real stylist has to deal with these things, right? (I agree, it's no fun for every challenge...but I have to say, that if I had natural red hair, I wouldn't let anyone touch the color!)

SenshiG

SenshiG

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 25, 2008 @ 10:52 PM

I thought Charlie being in the top three was absolute bull. We don't even really know what he did with the woman's actual hair! It just looked like a wig -- a cheap, nasty wig at that. But most importantly, it didn't fit the challenge. I wonder if a novice stylist without an impressive resume would have been in the top with the same style... but this early in, I'll try not to be that pessimistic. (And by the way, since when is Marge Simpson "snarky?" Has the man actually seen the Simpsons, or is he basing it off of what he's heard? And yes, I officially don't like Charlie.)

All in all, though, I'm hoping this will shape up to be better than the first season. Glad Oshun -- and I second whoever said it was painful to type that -- went home first. Can you imagine having him saving scissors around your ears while blindfolded?

Edited by SenshiG, Jun 25, 2008 @ 10:54 PM.

LogCabinPat

LogCabinPat

Fanatic

Posted Jun 25, 2008 @ 10:55 PM

While I thought the winning Wilma Flintstone hairdo was OK, I think the 2 people who did Betty Boop were robbed, because when those 2 women came out I said 'Now that's a cute hairstyle' out loud. I also liked the Lucy hairstyle that was in the top 3.

swankie

swankie

Stalker

Posted Jun 25, 2008 @ 11:02 PM

I for one am disappointed in the first show. I thought both challenges were dumb and destined to produce some really bad hair, and that it did. I want to see some good styling, not costume design hair or hair Stevie Wonder would produce. Hopefully the Angel's challenge next week will yield better results. I'm not sure Oshun was the worst there in the elimination challenge. I didn't see Judy Jetson in the second one they showed at all. And the first Judy Jetson was a better interpretation of the character while being modern than that ugly Wilma Flintstone that won. And who wants hair that's hard as a rock. I think that stylist took Bedrock too literally. It and the big blue Marge Simpson were too cartoony for me. I'm glad this show is back though.

ajcollin

ajcollin

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 25, 2008 @ 11:05 PM

I would love to have the good Lucy haircut (although not with that choppy color).

Thank God I don't have to hear Oshun talk about how "deep" he is anymore. Funny editing the second time he said it, like the camera was saying "really?" Oh, and was Oshun nominated for any Emmy's? I didn't catch that. ;)

SenshiG

SenshiG

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 25, 2008 @ 11:10 PM

I thought both challenges were dumb and destined to produce some really bad hair, and that it did.

I was dismayed that some of the hairstyles, while passable, were worse than the ones the models walked in with. Every challenge ought to have a "before" shot for the judging. Is there a Hippocratic oath for hair stylists?

Also, are the out-of-focus interviews a stylistic choice or an error? Because I hope I don't have to keep pawing at my contacts all season.

Haveahabit

Haveahabit

Fanatic

Posted Jun 25, 2008 @ 11:12 PM

Is there a Hippocratic oath for hair stylists?

Judging by some of the cuts I've received, no.

MdMaxx

MdMaxx

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 25, 2008 @ 11:14 PM

I think it's more realistic though - there are a lot of people in the real world who don't want their hair cut short, or don't want it colored - and a real stylist has to deal with these things, right?

In this situation I can't agree. I don't find it unrealistic that a woman would go into a salon with Marge Simpson or Wilma Flintstone as her inspiration. It's like shut the fuck up and let the stylist do their thing. If you don't want me to colour or cut your hair then don't volunteer.

However, I do agree with you if it's a challenge where the stylist has to give the client what s/he wants (and not some dumb challenge that the show writers have created).

Edited by MdMaxx, Jun 25, 2008 @ 11:21 PM.

the fresh maker

the fresh maker

Fanatic

Posted Jun 25, 2008 @ 11:18 PM

I'm jazzed they used Jem as one of the inspirations. I'm very disappointed in what they came up with.

eliza422

eliza422

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 25, 2008 @ 11:25 PM

See, I totally missed that they were supposed to do a modern re imagining of the hairstyle...I thought they were supposed to recreate it!

I also thought that one Betty Boop cut, with the up swings, was *awesome*...that one would have been my choice for the win.

I'm disappointed...now I'll never be able to bask in the genius of Oshun...<barf>

TyGuy

TyGuy

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 25, 2008 @ 11:27 PM

I LOVE this show (probably more so because I work in a salon now). Random thoughts:

Jaclyn Smith still looks damn good for a woman in her 60's. Yes she's aged and had work done but she carries it well. She was always my favorite angel and I too cannot wait for the Charlie's Angels challenge. If only Farrah were there to guest judge too, sigh.

Kim Vo is renowned and I get that he is an Asian man that is trying to look more Caucasian but at times all I could see was...Michael Jackson. *shudders*

Rene Fris is looking as good as ever. He can go shake me anytime.

The shortcut challenge was dumb as was the elimination challenge to an extent. I suppose the purpose was to entertain, so I guess it was accomplished. I still feel for all the hair models though. I hope they pay them enough (if they pay them at all).

This season's crew is sort of meh. So glad Ocean (I refuse to spell it the other way) left. He may be Emmy nominated but he truly sucked ass on this show. Charlie is bitchy and not attractive, Dee is Daisy 2.0 what with being a Latina lesbian from Miami, Parker is cuter than I originally thought and Paulo appeared too much in the opening credits which is leading me to believe he's gone early or is in for a while.

Regarding the credits, I liked Nekisa's, Charlie's and Parker's. Daniel screaming into a hairbrush was not cute. Everyone else is blah. Love that Jaclyn (which Daniel pronounced "Jacqueline") finally did the Angel pose with the hair dryer in them.

For any ANTM fans here, Neeko the guest judge clearly said the infamous word "heighth" when he was judging Ocean's botched Lucy do. I so wanted him to say that one of the models "aswirl with astiffness".

All in all, I'll stay tuned in. Carry on.

Edited by TyGuy, Jun 25, 2008 @ 11:56 PM.

profreader

profreader

Fanatic

Posted Jun 25, 2008 @ 11:33 PM

It took me a bit to realize that Vo was the new Sally, not the new Rene. Vo reminds me of somebody, I can't think who -- Carson Kressley? No -- but is a little difficult to watch on camera with the lip thing going on.

I think the challenges were interesting -- they probably did hope for wilder results with the blindfold challenge, but I thought there was a plausible reason for the challenge -- how good are your other senses, etc., will you take on too much/too difficult of a style.

The cartoon character thing -- I thought the Blue Marge was not that great looking, although perhaps a technical achievement. I agree with whoever mentioned they liked the Betty Boop (not the pincurl, the other one) That struck me as exactly the character, but modern and interesting, too.

Lucy -- that was real challenge, because: what IS her hairstyle? A couple of blobs here and there. I used to try to draw the Peanuts characters when I was a kid -- that hairstyle is difficult to draw, let alone imagine in three dimensions on an actual person.

EDITED TO ADD:

Kim Vo is renowned and I get that he is an Asian man that is trying to look more Causcasian but at times all I could see was...Michael Jackson. *shudders*

Whaaaaaat? Reaaalllly? I had NO idea. I mean, to each his own in terms of personal appearance but ... that sort of makes me sad.

Edited by profreader, Jun 25, 2008 @ 11:35 PM.

Puds38

Puds38

Stalker

Posted Jun 25, 2008 @ 11:48 PM

I guess Oshun got wash out to sea.
*ba da dum, thank you very much, I 'll be here all week* Seriously though, Braovo is the worse at telegraphing exactly who goes home within the first 5 mins of the show. I could have gone and done a load of laundry and just come back on the last 10 mins to wave goodbye to Oshun. Also the Dr. Boogie comparions are unfair. Boogie at least left as a gentleman. He didn't walk out saying "this is bullshit."

So happy to see Rene and hear him say, "Shegit"

Love Daniel from Texas.

Parker = Jeffrey Sebelia Version 2.0

My sister who I was watching this with said the same thing.

Bravo - stop pimping the Real Housewives of Orange County!

ITA I hated them the first time around.

Kim Vo is renowned and I get that he is an Asian man that is trying to look more Caucasian but at times all I could see was...Michael Jackson. *shudders*

Not crazy about Jacklyn's new hair color. It looks a bit too blonde for me. The sis also thinks Kim Vo looks like a Michael Jackson impersonator.

Looking forward to the Charlie's Angel challenge and more wild hairstyles.

Edited by Puds38, Jun 25, 2008 @ 11:49 PM.

MdMaxx

MdMaxx

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 26, 2008 @ 12:19 AM

Kim Vo is renowned and I get that he is an Asian man that is trying to look more Caucasian

I thought he was Eurasian?

shoshie

shoshie

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 26, 2008 @ 12:34 AM

Re: the redhead who was styled like Jem, who didn't want her hair dyed... Who is she? It's killing me - I know her face, but I can't place her. Maybe she's a former Project Runway model?

I think that was the Christian model Dominique from the Janice Dickinson Modeling Agency show. I knew she'd be trouble because she'd be unlikely to change her hair drastically being a professional model and from her behavior on JDMA. I now hang my head in shame that I identified her right away.

I loved that first Betty Boop hairstyle too. You could see the inspiration right away and I could definitely picture it on the edgy trendy girl in town. Should have been in the top 3.

The cartoon character elimination challenge was a great twist on the celebrity look alike from last season. The short cut challenge was not and I feel like it was just designed to get someone cut leading to drama. I guess we'll see in future eppys, but I liked the basic skills short cut challenges like "copy this haircut" or "bleach this dark hair".

Edited by shoshie, Jun 26, 2008 @ 12:37 AM.

eliza422

eliza422

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 26, 2008 @ 12:36 AM

Kim Vo is Asian or Part Asian? I never would have guessed.
I was terrified of those lips though - blech! And his face has an odd, sunken-in quality that is frightening...

But that aside, I liked the fact that he actually touched and combed and really got into the hair during the Quick Sniff challenge...I mean, looks aside, I think that really shows that he was interested in what was really going on in the hair, like when he was looking for Oshun's guideline (I think that's what he called it). I think that shows he's not just looking at how it looks, but how it feels and lies and all that.
For some reason that really impressed me...he was ready with comb in hand!

MuppetCoat

MuppetCoat

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 26, 2008 @ 12:50 AM

1) The non-pin curls Betty Boop was robbed. That looked badass.

2) If that guy's parents actually named him Oshun, there seriously needs to be veto power for whoever writes the birth certificate. Even if he wasn't ridiculously annoying, incorrectly spelled names are one of my biggest pet peeves.

3) ITA with the assessment that having to please a difficult client makes sense for a client-oriented challenge. Otherwise, the models need to STFU. If you don't want a weird haircut, don't volunteer to get a haircut from a reality tv show. The middle-aged mom got PINK in her hair and didn't kvetch about it.

Masem

Masem

Fanatic

Posted Jun 26, 2008 @ 1:27 AM

Neither of these challenges were good "season opening" ones - the challenges should basically show off the stylists' skills flat out with minimal restrictions, much like Hell's Kitchen "signature dish" opener which also commonly comes into play on Top Chef. Two shows down the road, sure, these are fine.

I don't think I could have lasted more than another week if Oshun (gah) remained in it.

I don't understand why Charlie was there. Technically he pulled off the Marge beehive and was no where close to elimination, but compared to some of the middle styles, it was completely impractical for all but costume-y wear.

valsinger

valsinger

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 26, 2008 @ 1:50 AM

I also loved the real Betty Boop.

And am I the only one who thought Kim Vo looked exactly like Artie in Shrek the Third? An older Artie, to be sure, but I just kept seeing the cartoon figure. OTOH, I loved Jaclyn Smith.

Did they ever say what happened to the first season judges? I would have expected at least one of them to return.