Leverage: American Hustle

• Please log in to reply

8332 replies to this topic

equinoxx

equinoxx

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 10, 2009 @ 11:16 PM

Damn, I love this show. The whole crew was on point, and Hardison especially stepped up big-time.

"Dinna fash yersel, laddie," indeed.

Oh... and props for sneaking in a Dean Devlin cameo on the Mumbai website.

Edited by equinoxx, Feb 11, 2009 @ 12:09 AM.

Fabrisse

Fabrisse

Stalker

Posted Feb 11, 2009 @ 12:00 AM

Parker wondering whether her new friend might want to steal a painting with her was adorable.

And Sophie breaking down the tells and issues of the people on the jury was a great scene and really helped me appreciate what Sophie does.

Mumbai International's owners signing the paperwork was also a great throw away bit.

Edited by Fabrisse, Feb 11, 2009 @ 12:01 AM.

tootles86

tootles86

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 11, 2009 @ 12:05 AM

This was one of the meant-to-air-earlier eps, right?

It had to be, we had reference to the acting lessons that Parker and Sophie have been doing.

"There's, there's going to be normal people there," I love that that line came from Elliot. I feel like it was more of a jab at everyone in that room rather than just Parker and the rest of the jury members. :)

I thought this was a really fun episode. And I loved how the bad guys had a set-up just like the team. Although a small issue from me, they have to stop showing everyone their faces. I can see the finale episode of the show in the future being everyone they've screwed over coming together Ocean 11 style to screw them over royally...

brooke34

brooke34

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 11, 2009 @ 12:19 AM

Usually just about everyone in the main cast has at least one good joke or one-liner, and tonight was no exception, but my favorite of the evening had to be from Brent Spiner.

"Men? I don't have men. I wear sandals."

I don't know why, but I nearly fell off the couch at that one.

Cheetara04

Cheetara04

Fanatic

Posted Feb 11, 2009 @ 1:39 AM

Cute video of the Leverage cast finding out that they have been renewed for a second season: Leverage Cast

amberdotcom

amberdotcom

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 11, 2009 @ 7:58 AM

It was one of her chess pieces

Thank you! I swear it looked like a salt shaker and I just couldn't figure out what that had to do with anything (of course I was also dead tired by then which didn't help).

I thought from an interview I read that Brent's character was the sleaze; I liked that he turned out to be more in the middle; he wasn't the mastermind of the whole thing but on the other hand you couldn't really be on his side either since he knew his product could kill and he obviously still wanted to market it.

I thought some of the best lines of the night were Nate going on and on about how he didn't even need an electric car anymore because he can run his on human waste - the look on Brent's face. And just about everything with Hardison in the jury room (you shared a secret - are we friends?)

Two episodes left though - wonder when season 2 premiers?

tallykat

tallykat

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 11, 2009 @ 9:31 AM

Liked the episode overall. I'm not a huge Parker fan, but I liked watching her handle being in the jury and becoming the foreman.

They were incredibly lucky to pull the scam off, though. They totally counted on Lauren Holly turning off the video feed after the fake voting at the beginning. Did the team have an hour or two of subsequent fake video so they could continue to fake her out? What would have happened had she just continued to watch the jury deliberations?

Also, Sophie zings Brent Spiner in the end (can't remember the character's name): "Guess you should have settled", but I thought: 'Hey, this guy made out pretty good. He just sold a basically worthless company for whatever that magical middle number was.' Hopefully it was more than the 5 million dollar jury award--or maybe evil Lauren Holly character inherited that bill when she bought the company.

BTW, Lauren Holly, did you step in a time machine and take 15 years off your life? Because you look much younger than you ever did on NCIS. Whatever you're using, I'm buying it!

JosetteDupres

JosetteDupres

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 11, 2009 @ 9:47 AM

Ususually when one company buys another they take responsibility for all assets and liabilities of the company being purchased, unless there is a specific clause stating otherwise. So, it is quite possible Brent Spiner got out with a really good deal and Lauren Holly ended up holding the bag not only on this law suit, but any others that are filed later.

Edited by JosetteDupres, Feb 11, 2009 @ 9:47 AM.

lilith1930

lilith1930

Fanatic

Posted Feb 11, 2009 @ 10:54 AM

That was Lauren Holly? Wow. Totally didn't recognize her.

I really liked this episode. Socially confused Parker will never stop being amusing.

dubbel zout

dubbel zout

Stalker

Posted Feb 11, 2009 @ 10:57 AM

I didn't understand Sophie's zing at the end, either. Maybe he didn't get the best deal, but he didn't lose everything.

I thought the flashback to Parker stealing the jurors' stuff was unnecessary, and a little patronizing. Who else would have done it and when? They made it so obvious the first time they showed her making her way through the jury box.

fastiller

fastiller

Fanatic

Posted Feb 11, 2009 @ 11:19 AM

They were incredibly lucky to pull the scam off, though. They totally counted on Lauren Holly turning off the video feed after the fake voting at the beginning. Did the team have an hour or two of subsequent fake video so they could continue to fake her out? What would have happened had she just continued to watch the jury deliberations?
~ ~ tallykat

I thought that they'd tapped the feed and so LH wasn't seeing it live.

I loved the "representative" from Mumbai Int'l being a Scotsman. Now I want to know the backstory on how he & Eliot know one another.

Edited by fastiller, Feb 11, 2009 @ 12:01 PM.

Nightlark

Nightlark

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 11, 2009 @ 11:51 AM

I hated Lauren Holly on NCIS and she had NO chemistry with Mark Harmon. She had more zing with Timothy Hutton in that little scene than she ever did on NCIS.

I dread the show being over but next week looks great.

Oh and they do need to stop showing their faces. They are going to be on the evil cartel's most wanted list.

raligh

raligh

Fanatic

Posted Feb 11, 2009 @ 12:23 PM

Oh and they do need to stop showing their faces. They are going to be on the evil cartel's most wanted list.

Which should make for some really fun episodes next season!

I thought at first the trend of letting the marks see them was unprofessional. I can understand why they'd want to rub it in, but surely if they're established, career criminals, they know better, right? They can't have survived this long if they let everybody know what they do.

But then I realized that ...they kinda have. I mean, Nate knew all about them and what they could do and what jobs they had pulled (well, not all of them, but a lot) Dubinich knew enough about them to know their skill set and methods and contact and hire them.

So, clearly, they are not too worried about anonymity, historically. They're cocky enough and confident in their ability to avoid getting caught, that they don't really care if people know what they did ...because they have to catch them first.

This is likely to come back and bite them in the rear, especially now that they've established a permanent homebase and have ties to other people. ....And that just makes for good TV!

Marquis Carabas

Marquis Carabas

Fanatic

Posted Feb 11, 2009 @ 2:09 PM

Way I see it is even if Spiner made some money and is no longer part of the company, he can still be held personally reliable. Plus he's now toxic. No company will want to hire him his rep is ruined.

Add me to the list of people who want to see Holly come back as a foil for leverage Inc

mandigirl

mandigirl

Fanatic

Posted Feb 11, 2009 @ 4:45 PM

Loved it! But then again I love this show. I almost spit out my drink when Elliot's Indian friend pulled out with that Scottish accent!!

I love Parker and Hardison together, and I've been shipping them hard since that Orphan episode. That's why I'm pissed TNT shuffled the episodes because I think this episode was supposed to air sooner. Last night's episode showed good basis for Parker and Hardison's relationship in the orphan episode AND sets up the story about his foster mother that Hardison told Parker in that episode.

Does anyone know why TNT chose to air the episodes out of order? Narratively, it just (almost) ruins the flow and I just can't understand that.

Loved Hardison as a lawyer! He's so incredibly charming, he had every juror eating out of the palm of his hand. Also, Lauren Holly was a great villain! Another great episode. Next week looks good too.

Eckhouse

Eckhouse

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 11, 2009 @ 5:27 PM

Parker's "It looks like a dog in a baby suit!" already wins Best Thing Said On TV for 2009.

All in all I really liked this episode, for one reason (as you all have mentioned) because of the foil that Lawyers, Inc. provided to the Leverage gang. Sophie is becoming a bit one-note for me, but not just because she plays the same role every week. Has to be the Nate nagging.

The chess board in the war room was a bit over the top in a "secret lair filled with sharks" kind of way, but it was worth the payoff of having Nate wordlessly drop the king in Lauren Holly's hand at the end. I assume that was the king?

equinoxx

equinoxx

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 11, 2009 @ 5:44 PM

Does anyone know why TNT chose to air the episodes out of order? Narratively, it just (almost) ruins the flow and I just can't understand that.

Well, Rogers spills the beans on this one, at least:

["The 12-Step Job"] was actually meant to be the last regular season ep before the two-parter finale. It's out of order, but for an interesting reason -- clearance issues for some background footage on "The Juror #6 Job" didn't come through, and we had to switch eps to buy time to yank-and-replace the background imagery. Ah, well, the best laid schemes o' mice an' men/Gang aft agley. Welcome to weekly television production.

(You know, if I had to do it again, I would name my company "Gangaftagley Productions.")

johntfs

johntfs

Fanatic

Posted Feb 11, 2009 @ 7:08 PM

I'd loved "I put a razor blade in that apple!"

"...there's no razor blades in this orange..."

Sissy BP

Sissy BP

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 11, 2009 @ 7:23 PM

I thought this part was funny too -

I'd loved "I put a razor blade in that apple!"

"...there's no razor blades in this orange..."

- especially when Eliot spit his bite of apple out when she told him that.

raligh

raligh

Fanatic

Posted Feb 11, 2009 @ 7:47 PM

- especially when Eliot spit his bite of apple out when she told him that.

Well, Parker is crazy enough to actually do something like that.

Or at least Eliot thinks she's crazy enough to actually do something like that.

Which amounts to the same thing.

About that scene - I also like that apparently Eliot's default setting for playing a con is a) crank up the Southern/country b) use an "Aw shucks, ma'am" smile c) act like he's lost a couple dozen IQ points.

("I like apples. Apples are my favorite!")

Sissy BP

Sissy BP

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 11, 2009 @ 7:57 PM

Well, Parker is crazy enough to actually do something like that.

Or at least Eliot thinks she's crazy enough to actually do something like that.

Which amounts to the same thing.

Oh I totally agree - which is why I thought it was so funny.

mezz98

mezz98

Posted Feb 11, 2009 @ 10:48 PM

Another fine episode. I continue to love Hardison, and Sophie didn't annoy me this episode. Parker's "You just told me a secret. That's what friends do, right?" was simultaneously funny and poignant. And I am still on the Hardison/Parker ship.

Nothing to add about the guest stars, as it's already been said and said well.

Can't believe there's only 2 episodes left :-(

CreedogV

CreedogV

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 11, 2009 @ 11:43 PM

I really feel like Sophie is trying to fix him so that she can be with him.

I don't think there's any doubt about that. The relationship hints in the pilot made sense. But every time they revisit it, they do a worse job. Sophie is a pretty consistent character, except when she puts on her serious face to help Nate with his drinking, which she is only sporadically proactive about. If she really cared, she'd stage an intervention instead of risking a job just because she had an opportunity to confront Nate. Perhaps it's just because, as an actress, she lives her life as one big con.

Last 3 seconds of the "Leverage gets a surprise" video were awesome:
Summer 2009

OK maybe I zoned out at some point but what did Nate give that women at the end of tonight's ep? It looked like a crystal salt shaker but if it was what did it stand for?

Chess piece. He check-mated her. Which sounds dirty. Frankly, that actress had the look of a recurring guest star. I want her to come back for revenge.

I thought the flashback to Parker stealing the jurors' stuff was unnecessary, and a little patronizing. Who else would have done it and when? They made it so obvious the first time they showed her making her way through the jury box.

I do have to admit. They spoon-feed us sometimes. It's very clear when they're deliberately not showing us something, so it's just a countdown until they do the flashback to explain away what's happened.

justjoan

justjoan

Fanatic

Posted Feb 12, 2009 @ 12:00 AM

Yeah, but we're people who post on the internet about these shows. We can quote lines and break down scenes from memory. We're practically guaranteed to be watching more closely than the average fan. TPTB might sometimes stick in a flashback for something fairly obvious, but there are probably as many people sitting at home saying, "Ohhhhhh. Now I see," as people coming here to post, "Oh, come on, we already knew that!" As long as there are no more cheater-backs like in "The Snow Job," I can deal with the occasional obvious scene.

"I like apples. Apples are my favorite!"

Man, that almost killed me. So, so hilarious. The look on his face! Ahahaha! And then Parker's solution was so very perfect. These thirteen eps sure have gone quickly. Hopefully the wait until DVD-time will too.

heirloomtomata

heirloomtomata

Fanatic

Posted Feb 12, 2009 @ 12:12 AM

I'm pretty sure any viewer who'd seen the show at least once would understand that Parker was the pickpocket. There was no need to draw us a picture. Other than that, I thought this was an outstanding episode.

Watcher19

Watcher19

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 12, 2009 @ 1:14 AM

Frankly, that actress had the look of a recurring guest star. I want her to come back for revenge.

Please, God, NO!!!!! She ruined large chunks of NCIS for the three years she was a regular on that show. Or was it two years, and it just seemed a lot longer? I have no problem with Lauren Holly earning a living, because she has kids to support. All I ask is that she not do it on any show that I watch. Amen.

heirloomtomata

heirloomtomata

Fanatic

Posted Feb 12, 2009 @ 7:50 AM

Please, God, NO!!!!! She ruined large chunks of NCIS for the three years she was a regular on that show. Or was it two years, and it just seemed a lot longer? I have no problem with Lauren Holly earning a living, because she has kids to support. All I ask is that she not do it on any show that I watch. Amen.

I agree! Even though her character on NCIS was one of the good guys, personality-wise there wasn't a dime's worth of difference between that bitch and this bitch. She was a shitty boss, the kind of throwback 80's-style successful woman who thought she had to be at least as hardass as a man, but whose first priority was looking out for number one. I cheered when she was killed off.

LH is probably a lovely person, but does she always have to be written as pissed off, sarcastic, vindictive and generally unpleasant? Or is that what she plays best? IMO she should avoid this type of character for awhile.

Racj82

Racj82

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 12, 2009 @ 9:42 AM

I don't know why, but Hardison's line to the client, " I'm sorry, you deserve better" really got to me. The more and more I see of him, the harder it is for me to see him as a criminal in the first place. I could still sort of see it with the others, but not with him. The actor who plays Hardison also lets me put in use my Heath Ledger rule. I never in a million years thought that Heath could pull of the Joker role when heard it based on his previous acting. Based on Hodge's (Hardison) work before this, for second I didn't think he could do it. Once again, I was right to just see how he played it. He's been great on this show and I'm glad he found a role that lets him shine.

Other things I loved were the:

The look Parker gave Hardison when he was giving his closing. I really would like them as a pair.

Eliot chucking the bag of garbage at Hardison's head after his lame peanut allergy excuse.

The fact that Eliot went along with the apple/orange exercise after Sophie said " Do it for me ".

Eliot taking all the beer back after not being able to enjoy the game.

I must say that with The Closer and Leverage, TNT has two the best ensembles in TV.

Oh and on a shallow not, Sophie has to be one of the most attractive women I've seen on TV in a long time. My eyes are always drawn to her when she is on screen. The accent doesn't hurt either.

LT

LT

Fanatic

Posted Feb 12, 2009 @ 10:01 AM

And Sophie breaking down the tells and issues of the people on the jury was a great scene and really helped me appreciate what Sophie does.

That scene and the one in the beginning where Eliot goes to Sophie to complain about Parker and say that Sophie needs to talk to Parker after the almost decapitation explain everything about Sophie's role in the team. Without her they would destroy each other. I'm finding myself liking her more and more--but I wish these episodes where she is more sympathetic occurred earlier on TNT's schedule (since they were obviously earlier by the production standpoint).

LH working as a villain explains everything about why she failed so miserably on NCIS--as mentioned, she played the exact same role here (and in the exact same way) but here we knew she was the bad guy. However, that breathy-whisper acting? Has got to go.

It might be because I really do like the guy but every time I see an episode of a show that Frakes has directed I really enjoy the style. He really has a good eye for this.

But Hardison? Oh, his facial expressions in the courtroom were so good. And when he apologized to the plaintiff for not being good enough? He's the best (if you don't count Eliot and his Texan accent).

mezz98

mezz98

Posted Feb 12, 2009 @ 10:21 AM

Chess piece. He check-mated her. Which sounds dirty. Frankly, that actress had the look of a recurring guest star. I want her to come back for revenge.

I had the same thought, and since I only remember LH from "All My Children" and "Beautiful Girls" (yeah, I know I'm really dating myself with those references), I'd be ok with her coming back once to try to get revenge on the Leverage team.