1-2: 2008.06.23

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

15 replies to this topic

TWoP Mars

TWoP Mars

Stalker

Posted Jun 22, 2008 @ 12:57 AM

From Sho.com:

New client Aleksandar takes Belle to a prestigious sex party - a very glamorous event that Belle has wanted to attend for some time. While there, Belle is distracted by the writer Jay Lorre, a longtime crush who wants her to go home with him. Just as she ditches her client for him, she receives a call from her family to meet them at the hospital where her sister has just given birth. Belle heads straight to the hospital and quickly explains away her inappropriate attire to her family, but Ben is not entirely convinced.

Last Time Lord

Last Time Lord

Stalker

Posted Jun 23, 2008 @ 10:37 PM

I liked the pilot, but I Loved this episode. A fun story, some great lines, the ending line was my favorite of the episode's.

Mwcdeb8r

Mwcdeb8r

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 24, 2008 @ 9:09 AM

I enjoyed this episode too. I thought the writer was pretty hot and some of the sex scenes were kinda steamy. her client was just over-the-top. It was poetic justice- having to bail on the client, then bail on the people she really wanted to be with.

I find myself intrigued by Belle/Hannah's relationship with Ben. I watched the first two episodes on Showtime without knowing too much about the show beyond a brief synopsis of the show. Initially, I was unclear about Belle/Hannah's relationship to Ben, if he was family, friend, boyfriend, gay, straight. I mean, what was he doing at the birth? I guess I kinda missed the throwaway line about the dessert he can't bc the girlfriend has him on a diet until I saw it mentioned on this board. I think the actor is good looking and am interested to see what is in store for him and Belle down the road.

JadziaDax

JadziaDax

Fanatic

Posted Jun 24, 2008 @ 12:10 PM

I liked this episode, but not as much as the pilot. I read somewhere else that this one is the weakest of the 8, so hopefully it will get better from here.

I wondered why she just didn't get the author's number to hook up with at a later date?

Nonnie Muss

Nonnie Muss

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 24, 2008 @ 3:15 PM

I also didn't like this as much as the pilot. I'm afraid I can see exactly where the plot is heading in some aspects (cute client, Ben friendship, family dynamics), and that's disappointing in a pay-cable series. I hope the writing sharpens up and focuses a little more in the upcoming episodes.

Though I don't like shows where you'r constantly talking back about inconsistancies, stupid moves and the part of the characters, etc. Like if you're going to make SUCH a big deal about the character not wearing undies, don't give a crotch shot close up when the actress is obviously clad. No, I don't particularly care to see BP's flower, but it irked me nonetheless.

Thena

Thena

Fanatic

Posted Jun 24, 2008 @ 11:00 PM

I liked this episode, but not as much as the pilot. I read somewhere else that this one is the weakest of the 8, so hopefully it will get better from here.

Yeah, I did not care for this episode much either. The best part about it is the little showcase and insight we have on Hannah's family: her relationship with her dad, mum, and her rather catty one with her sister. Also Ben seems to be suspecting of Hannah.

There is a line about Ben being called before Hannah because he is reliable. He is obviously considered close to the family, and they thought he would know where Hannah was.

The writer was hot, and yeah, I don't understand why they didn't exchange numbers. Would it have ruined the mood? Or the anonymity?

mandigirl

mandigirl

Fanatic

Posted Jun 25, 2008 @ 1:38 AM

As someone who has watched all the episodes (except for the last one) I can say that this episode was the weakest of the 8 IMO. And that's actually a good thing, because it wasn't too bad at all! I thought it was pretty funny.

Re: Ben It's a little confusing, but Ben is her ex-boyfriend turned friend, but I guess her family still really likes him. I find that weird since he has another girlfriend now but I guess you have those boyfriends that become basically part of the family.

Question-- does anyone know what Showtime plans to do with this show? I'm glad they are re-airing the British ones, but are they going to produce new episodes? I think it could do really well if they leave it to the people already involved. If they try to 'Americanize' it, it will be a disaster. But I certainly want more than 8 episodes.

No spoilers, but I watched 7 out of 8 episodes and this show completely won my heart. Some people mentioned Dexter, but this show actually really reminds me more of Weeds-- it takes a premise that has no business being heart-warming and makes you laugh and smile. Give it two more episodes. That's when she tells Ben about what she does and things get really interesting.

insaneman

insaneman

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 25, 2008 @ 9:50 AM

I wouldn't insult the awesomeness of Dexter by comparing this show with that. THe dialog is way too selfaware. Billie Piper's talking to the camera is annoying. If I was a john, I would not hire her more than once for that kind of money. The show is trying to be too cutesy instead of showing deeper emotions involved in such a business. Piper is holding back from the viewer as much as her character holds back her true feelings from the clients.

And if she insists on remaining clothed during the sex scnes, hey, why not show the sex scenes in an angle where we would not worry about her remaining clothed? Hey, they have done it in the past in older movies.

And that scene where she does get naked is so bogus. It is such a contrived shot where she undresses in a stiff manner, then she hurries under the sheets like she knows we are watching her. BUllshit. Dont even bother showing her naked. It adds nothing to the show.

Deigh

Deigh

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 25, 2008 @ 11:53 AM

I didn't think this episode was as good as the first, so I'm glad to hear it's the weakest.

I love the chemistry with Ben and I hope it isn't ruined when he finds out what she does.

Mwcdeb8r

Mwcdeb8r

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 25, 2008 @ 4:30 PM

I like the concept of the show- it's a lighthearted, fun, summer show. Not every show has to be about murder and mayhem. If the second episode is the weakest, I can't wait to see what else is in store.

I was bummed when the episodes were only a half hour. I was expecting the show to be a full hour.

mandigirl

mandigirl

Fanatic

Posted Jun 25, 2008 @ 5:21 PM

The show is trying to be too cutesy instead of showing deeper emotions involved in such a business. Piper is holding back from the viewer as much as her character holds back her true feelings from the clients.

But I think that's exactly the point insaneman (and btw well put). The show is supposed to be this naughty tell-all about high class prostitution, but there is nothing intimate about this look. Hannah is supposed to be our guide, but all she wants to talk about is the money and the good sex. We see none of the fears or hardships or sacrifices because that's not what Hannah wants to talk about. That's totally in keeping with her character in that she professes to be completely open, but is really terrified of anything real or intimate. I think it's very clever that the show's format mimics that.

Ultimately, the deeper stuff we can see for ourselves even though she won't share them with us (truth is, she won't acknowledge them even to herself). Like when she looks at her sister's baby, the ultimate indicia of the 'normal life' she's hellbent on running from so later when she defiantly says 'I don't like to play by the rules', we know that isn't the whole truth. Why I like this show is that you can gather that from Piper's fantastic acting without the vaguely patronizing or paternalistic "every one wants to be 'normal'" undertone.

In any case, I think this episode was important just to show her family and make it clear that there are no external factors keeping her in prostitution-- they are all internal.

speedroc

speedroc

Fanatic

Posted Jun 25, 2008 @ 7:30 PM

No spoilers, but I watched 7 out of 8 episodes and this show completely won my heart.

ITA. I watched the entire series and I would say 3, 4, and 7 are my favorites. Especially the foursome that takes place in ep 7 with the song that plays alongside it.

Edited by speedroc, Jun 25, 2008 @ 7:30 PM.

insaneman

insaneman

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 25, 2008 @ 11:27 PM

mandigirl, Oh I kind of realize that. I would love a naughty silly fun look if it had at least some nice T&A or at least, if the character was likable. For me personally, she is not very likable in this role.

mandigirl

mandigirl

Fanatic

Posted Jun 26, 2008 @ 3:40 PM

Lol! I should have figured you did insaneman since you wrote it out so well! So I did my whole show breakdown for nothin' huh? ;) If you don't like the main character (I'm not sure what T&A is) that can't be fixed really. Were/Are you a Doctor Who fan? (Some people that watched that show find it hard to see BP in this). Right now Hannah/Belle seems pretty unobjectionable and this show may have just turned me into a BP fan because I think her acting is right on point.

Speedroc Episode 7 is on my list of favorite episodes of any show-- and that's saying a lot because I'm a tv junkie. I would say that after she tells Ben, I like all those episodes-- so 5-8-- because him dealing/or not dealing is one of the most fascinating and heartwarming aspects of the show for me.

cyberducks

cyberducks

Fanatic

Posted Jun 26, 2008 @ 8:52 PM

Another lovely episode, actually I loved all of them to some extent, the S&M episode is the funniest and episode 7 is my favourite the Hannah/Ben relationship is so compelling and complex - especially after he learns about her profession.

Good to know that there will be a second and third series.

isiscloud

isiscloud

Stalker

Posted Aug 6, 2008 @ 10:39 PM

I was a little peeved at her this ep. Here she is on a "date" with a client and he may not be the most interesting, but to just drop him for some writer who doesn't even want her for her, but to have a threesome is obnoxious. I'm glad she ended up not being with him/them, too. It kind of puts episode 7 in a different light when she doesn't really want to do it even though she was more than ready here.