4-2: "Home is Where the Profit Is" 2008.06.19

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

70 replies to this topic

TWoP Gadget

TWoP Gadget

Fanatic

Posted Jun 19, 2008 @ 5:42 PM

Kathy's assistant's assistant, Tiffany, and her tour manager, Tom Vize, are here to stay – but what do we really know about them? Kathy may be starting her staff background checks a year late, but you never can be too careful about employees found on My Space or those who have been so quickly promoted from dog-walker/roommate to tour manager. Kathy's decided that the best way to really get to know her new staff is to visit their hometowns. Kathy's booked two stand up gigs – one in Tom's hometown of St. Louis, Missouri, and one in Tiffany's hometown of Tracy, California. She will meet their families and milk her own publicity machine by throwing them into the local media spotlight. Tom and Tiffany better work the "local hero" angle to sell tickets. Kathy meets Tom's beat cop brother, Bill, and the mayor of St. Louis, who declares it "Tom Vize Day?" And what about sweet, giggly Tiffany? Tickets aren't exactly moving for Kathy's show in the sleepy cow town of Tracy, so Tiffany is going to have to hustle. Meanwhile, Kathy's Emmy win has given her award fever so she decides to go for a Grammy.

Edited by TWoP Gadget, Jun 22, 2008 @ 11:32 PM.

CrumbyButtons

CrumbyButtons

Stalker

• Interests:Gardening

Posted Jun 19, 2008 @ 10:39 PM

I thought the last 60 seconds of the show were the best - Tom not getting a blackberry and his reaction to getting a hug and not much more!

Tiffany looks great this season, and I'd love to see more of her grandma! She would be a hoot with Kathy's mom!

ETA - I really liked the "Tea House Goddess" too! She had a great "not-trying-to-hard" sense of humor!

Edited by CrumbyButtons, Jun 20, 2008 @ 6:43 AM.

GoldenWoman

GoldenWoman

Stalker

Posted Jun 19, 2008 @ 10:41 PM

That whole scene at the end and then the beating up Tom scene cracked me up. I can't wait for next weeks episode. I love Tiffany's grandmother, she's awesome.

Edited by GoldenWoman, Jun 19, 2008 @ 10:41 PM.

makemeameteor

makemeameteor

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 19, 2008 @ 11:09 PM

This was a really nice episode, getting to see the team working as, like, a team.

The beating up of Tom was hysterical.

carried away

carried away

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 19, 2008 @ 11:12 PM

I laughed so much at this episode! The confessional Kathy did after the presentation of the chicken had me in tears! Tiffany is my favorite member of Team Griffin, I love her laugh and she's so smart. The parade they did around the table for Tom Vize Day was so cute! I wanna be on TG!

mumbles

mumbles

Fanatic

Posted Jun 20, 2008 @ 12:27 AM

Well, my mileage varies somewhat. I didn't like this episode that much. My favorite part were the jokes about the Woz going to Men's Warehouse. Cute.

AnnetteFun

AnnetteFun

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 20, 2008 @ 1:46 AM

Well, I thought some of it was silly -- the Tom pummeling, the parade around the table -- but I loved her snarking about the drunken ladies at the Great Plate (spilling crap all over her Chanel coat) and the catered party (Paris Hilton wannabe lady with orange legs). It doesn't seem to matter what the (staged) situation is, Kathy's strong points (besides the obvious snark-ability)are her witty repartee with random people like the interviewer who didn't like her show, and her willingness to let others have the spotlight so she can reinforce the D-list theme. And she does have a great team -- they all seem to genuinely like working for Kathy. (Boy, would that job be a hoot! But I'm sure, hard work with looooong hours.)

I actually laughed out loud at some of the stuff on tonight's episode, which is RARE for me. I recently attended her show at the Borgata in A.C., where she did the same bit about selling the T-shirts ("merch", LOL). I don't know how many she sold that night, but I was wondering if Jessica/Tiffany/Tom were manning the sales table. I couldn't see it past the crowd in the lobby, but if she would've announced it as a chance to meet them, I'm sure it would've attracted many more folks over to the table.

Looking forward to next week's episode. I know whatever they're up to, I'll get some laughs out of it.

Di675

Di675

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 20, 2008 @ 8:02 AM

I agree, that interviewer bit was great. Kathy always handles that stuff brilliantly (though the editing was weird -- I don't think that guy was quite that annoyed the whole time). Loved Milly and would've liked to see more Maggie too. Kathy plays off them so good. And I love seeing Team Griffin crack up and make fun of each other...I never liked Tom a whole lot, but the chemistry between them all is really there...the shooting range bit was fun. Kathy's reaction was priceless.

Chrysaor

Chrysaor

Fanatic

Posted Jun 20, 2008 @ 8:20 AM

Words cannot express how much I want to have the "Sir, stop resisting!" and "*BLAM* Okay, I'll stop resisting!" segments by themselves on repeat in front of me for, like, the next two weeks.

Refresh my memory: did Tom really not ask for a Blackberry? And/or did Kathy really promise all three of them new Blackberries for meeting the merch quota?

uranushertz

uranushertz

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 20, 2008 @ 8:21 AM

Well, my mileage varies somewhat. I didn't like this episode that much. My favorite part were the jokes about the Woz going to Men's Warehouse. Cute.

My mileage varies exactly as yours. This episode was hit/miss for me. Tom is just not interesting enough to me to be the main topic for half an hour. The show picked up during the last 20 minutes. I would have loved an hour show with Kathy, Woz, and her mom just chatting. Box wine included.

Edited by uranushertz, Jun 20, 2008 @ 8:22 AM.

crazy_girl

crazy_girl

Fanatic

Posted Jun 20, 2008 @ 8:31 AM

I enjoyed the ep but I think that's probably because I also grew up in St. Louis so it was fun to see the city on TV. That radio DJ at the beginning is kind of a D-bag.

Of course he's not as big of a douche as the print interviewer from Sacramento who interviewed Kathy at the tea room. What was that guy's problem? Why the scowl? I almost felt like he was trying way too hard to show he wasn't amused and wasn't impressed by her. Which is fine that he's not a fan. It's not like everyone has to be but come on already--be a little less rude. There's a level of professionalism that he could have maintained.

Hailey

Hailey

Fanatic

Posted Jun 20, 2008 @ 8:48 AM

the shooting range bit was fun. Kathy's reaction was priceless.

I loved her comment about almost ruining her second nose. "If it had been the first, it could have saved me $2600!" Ha.

The entire bit with the chicken had me in tears. What the hell was that?! And then the chicken got loose... *yanks little dog out of the chicken's path*... and then someone threw cocktail napkins at it...

jcin617

jcin617

Fanatic

• Interests:30 Rock, The 4400, Battlestar Galactica, Deadliest Catch, Family Guy, Heroes, Kathy Griffin: My Life on the D-List, The Office, Rome, The Simpsons, Ugly Betty

Posted Jun 20, 2008 @ 11:12 AM

I thought this was a really funny episode, especially

The confessional Kathy did after the presentation of the chicken had me in tears

Yes! I laughed all through that bit. "I think I just heard a horse! What was that?"

AnnieGirl

AnnieGirl

Fanatic

Posted Jun 20, 2008 @ 11:51 AM

Refresh my memory: did Tom really not ask for a Blackberry? And/or did Kathy really promise all three of them new Blackberries for meeting the merch quota?

I'm not sure if he asked for one, but I think Tom's a nice enough guy to work hard with the girls to sell merch so they can get their "berrys" (tm Milley).

I used to think Tom was weird and creepy, but I think now I realize he's just incredibly shy and a bit socially awkward.

WizardofAhs

WizardofAhs

Fanatic

Posted Jun 20, 2008 @ 11:52 AM

I thought this episode fell a bit flat after the season premier. With Anderson Cooper last week, and with the PGA awards, we got to see more Kathy material than this week, which only had a few short segments of her standup act. The dinner with Tiffany's family and the beat-down segment with Tom felt like a lot of filler. That whole thing with the chicken was just flat-out weird.

That being said, even the weakest episode of this series is still entertaining enough to sit through an hour of. Can't really say that about a lot of other shows. It's not as if I'm ever going to just turn it off midway through; there's always a gem of a quip from Kathy at any given moment that makes it all worthwhile. I think this week's best one was "like a Michael Vick dog fight." She is just so sharp, and able to pull off these random things off the top of her head.

pottie-mouth

pottie-mouth

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 20, 2008 @ 12:13 PM

The talking head after the chicken party was priceless - I think it worked because the whole thing left me with a WTF? look on my face as well (what was up with the Gucci and Prada guys?)? "I don't know if she's supposed to f*ck them or what." Har.

And ... (paraphrasing) "Weird shit is going down ... is that a horse? I'm out." Had me in tears.

I like that her Woz impression has his voice sounding like a robot.

I really do hope she wins a Grammy (or at least gets nominated) - she truly does emphasize the "shameless" in shameless plug. Who knew there was so much visibility in gay crack baby adoption?

Edited by pottie-mouth, Jun 20, 2008 @ 12:14 PM.

Bungalow Joy

Bungalow Joy

Stalker

Posted Jun 20, 2008 @ 12:51 PM

"Sir, stop resisting!"

OK. Man... Anyway, Kathy's really thin! If the camera adds 10lbs I'm figuring she's a tiny thing and has room to pack on a couple extra. As for St. Louis, well, I think of St. Louis as a big enough town that I'm kind of amazed the mayor went out of his way to greet them. Now, Tracy, OTOH, that's the sticks and probably contributed most to the episode feeling as tumbleweeds-y as it did.

sdpaperboy

sdpaperboy

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 20, 2008 @ 2:27 PM

Kathy is the funniest person ever. Laughed so hard tonight I almost cried.

I loved them chasing around Tom and saying "Sir, stop resisting..."

The reporters were sooo, soo embarassing. Seriously, if you get an assignment you Google a person and IMDB them at least. The young intern, I'll give a pass to, but the guy at the Tea Shoppe should have known better.

I'm steering clear of Tracy, CA because folks are weird and crazy based on this show. A chicken? Really? Seriously?

Has Kathy had more work done? My partner said at least four times: "Something's up with her skin, it looks too smooth."

And can't wait for next week's show. BTW: I have my copy of "For Your Consideration" it's hysterical!

zelmia

zelmia

Fanatic

Posted Jun 20, 2008 @ 2:46 PM

I didn't understand who any of those people were at the "catered affair" in Tracy, CA. Still, when they pulled that chicken out (hm... sounds kinda sex-yal) my first thought was, "Don't they know that those things shit EVERY-where???"

It may have been the editing, but I thought the "morning show" woman who interviewed Tom was pretty rude to Kathy. Also, what was up with all the "high school" questions? Don't people go to university in St Louis? If not, then what the hell is that MAJOR university (Washington) doing there?

And, while it may also have been the editing, I would have done the same thing Kathy did with that "Little Nickel" guy who came to interview her over tea cakes. Never mind that he was not a fan, he was deliberately rude about it ("I'm so not impressed with you, I don't even know what it is you do.").
He failed to prepare for the interview, plain and simple. In which case, he was unprofessional and rude. Rude because, not only did he fail to prepare, he also specifically made a point of telling Kathy that he had failed to prepare. Essentially he was saying to her, "My time is more important than yours, you are not important enough for me to make any kind of effort."

itsirku

itsirku

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 20, 2008 @ 2:50 PM

I sort of love that she does stuff just for the reality show. We all know that reality shows aren't particularly real. But then weird stuff just happens to her. I mean, you can't plan on receiving a chicken in a duffel bag.

I loved her mother at the merch meeting.

Crumpet

Crumpet

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 20, 2008 @ 3:29 PM

Also, what was up with all the "high school" questions? Don't people go to university in St Louis? If not, then what the hell is that MAJOR university (Washington) doing there?

Sure, people go to college in St. Louis. But if Tom didn't then there's no reason to talk about it.

"Weird shit is going down ... is that a horse? I'm out."

That was hilarious. That whole party was random and funny.

AnnetteFun

AnnetteFun

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 20, 2008 @ 3:59 PM

The talking head after the chicken party was priceless - I think it worked because the whole thing left me with a WTF? look on my face as well (what was up with the Gucci and Prada guys?)? "I don't know if she's supposed to f*ck them or what." Har.

Yeah, that whole party was strange. Though the people there "looked" normal, they certainly had a whack sense of humor. I did not understand the joke with Mr. Gucci and Prada -- it's not like they were dressed in Gucci and Prada...right? And the chicken represented a joke about.....what? The funniest part was Kathy's thinking it was just as weird as we all were.

Has Kathy had more work done? My partner said at least four times: "Something's up with her skin, it looks too smooth."

She has publicly stated she's not having any MORE work done, but I forget exactly what she's had done so far that could account for the smoothness. I'm not a fan of celebs who keep tweaking every time they get a wrinkle and ergo end up looking like Priscilla Presley, BUT -- I do think maybe Kathy should have some "work" done to her neck. She's going on 50 and her neck is really starting to look it. The fact that her face is so smooth only makes the neck looks worse. I wonder if she could get a slight tweak without ending up with freaky pulled-back wide-mouth. But then that starts a slippery slope...which I think she's started going down anyway with all of the past work she's had done.

nelra

nelra

Couch Potato

• Interests:The Pretty...

Posted Jun 20, 2008 @ 4:11 PM

Also, what was up with all the "high school" questions? Don't people go to university in St Louis? If not, then what the hell is that MAJOR university (Washington) doing there?

Sure, people go to college in St. Louis. But if Tom didn't then there's no reason to talk about it.

Where did you go to high school is a Saint Louis specific question that can tell someone where you grew up and how much money did you have. Pretty much anytime you meet someone here in Saint Louis, they ask you where you went to high school. It is a stupid question, but people still continue to ask. btw, I was homeschooled for high school, so that messes people up when they ask me the question.

Kathy mentioned that the show in STL was sold out and that was the second show she sold out here in a few months time.

Garden Wafers

Garden Wafers

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 20, 2008 @ 4:37 PM

Where did you go to high school is a Saint Louis specific question that can tell someone where you grew up and how much money did you have.

I'm not sure it's so much a St. Louis specific question as it is a Southern custom. I've pretty much got White Station High School on the tip of my tongue whenever someone finds out that I grew up in Memphis. And I've always chalked it up to the fact that if a person says they're from a particular area, it's safer to assume they attended a local high school vs. attending a local college/university since most kids are eager to get out of Dodge after graduation. Although the class/social status inferences still apply.

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted Jun 20, 2008 @ 5:20 PM

In Jessica's interviews, she is wearing so much makeup. I think she looks much better in 'real life'.

ESLBEE

ESLBEE

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 20, 2008 @ 8:35 PM

Mine, too. Tom may just be shy, but that's part of what makes him incredibly booooooorrrrrring. His brother was way funnier. The second half of this ep saved it.

donleavy

donleavy

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 20, 2008 @ 11:25 PM

The reporters were sooo, soo embarassing. Seriously, if you get an assignment you Google a person and IMDB them at least. The young intern, I'll give a pass to, but the guy at the Tea Shoppe should have known better.

It makes no sense that they do not know Kathy. The person they're interviewing (Tom/Tiffany) is famous solely because of Kathy! Not to take anything away from Tom/Tiffany, because they are charming on their own. But still.

Loved Grandma Millie, loved the chicken confessional. The Blackberry thing seemed very fake, but that's okay. Way to motivate Team Griffin.

Anyway, Kathy's really thin! If the camera adds 10lbs I'm figuring she's a tiny thing and has room to pack on a couple extra.

I know, she's really tiny! Seeing the marathon, she looked different in S1. I guess that Star magazine diet stuck.

Shelwood

Shelwood

Stalker

Posted Jun 21, 2008 @ 2:52 AM

I was vaguely disappointed that it appeared that Kathy just went to the store and bought those Blackberries. I was hoping for a peek behind the mysterious veil of product placement and the chance to see Kathy try to bargain for some free, or perhaps just deeply discounted, Blackberries, with maybe a bit of her throwing around her Apple connections and threats to go with iPhones instead.

But seeing Tom get beat up was good, too.

Braxton Hicks

Braxton Hicks

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 21, 2008 @ 8:22 AM

And, while it may also have been the editing, I would have done the same thing Kathy did with that "Little Nickel" guy who came to interview her over tea cakes. Never mind that he was not a fan, he was deliberately rude about it ("I'm so not impressed with you, I don't even know what it is you do.").
He failed to prepare for the interview, plain and simple. In which case, he was unprofessional and rude. Rude because, not only did he fail to prepare, he also specifically made a point of telling Kathy that he had failed to prepare. Essentially he was saying to her, "My time is more important than yours, you are not important enough for me to make any kind of effort."

i loved his expression throughout that segment. Just a complete 'Sense of Humor Failure', while Kathy just went into this whole bit about carrot petit fours and clotted cream. That whole scene was one of the funniest passive/aggressive insults I've ever seen. Brilliant.

I'd also like to lobby for a Tiffany's Grandma/Ma Griffin showdown...Maybe a whole show - I'm thinking 'Real Octagenarians of the OC'.

Bungalow Joy

Bungalow Joy

Stalker

Posted Jun 21, 2008 @ 2:04 PM

It was a tiny, silly moment, but I did also like the "parade" around the meeting table. Made me What?-laugh.