06-02: "Eleven Left" 2008.06.16

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

47 replies to this topic

TWoP Gadget

TWoP Gadget

Fanatic

Posted Jun 16, 2008 @ 7:46 PM

The finalists are split into three groups, and assigned one of the judges as a mentor; Trace Adkins performs "You're Gonna Miss This.''

mooncreek

mooncreek

Stalker

Posted Jun 16, 2008 @ 10:05 PM

BillyBot must be mistaken when he said that next week was Pop Goes Country. That was this week.

Can't rag anymore on Justin for doing Train last week because... seriously, John Mayer? I am a big John Mayer fan but I knew that particular song was a godawful choice. Coffey, you fell so far so fast.

I hope they determined everything based on "names-out-of-a-hat" situation because I refuse to believe that Melissa got the second-least amount of votes. John Rich said it was second-least but BillyBot didn't. That was fucking cruel.

I am so glad Third Town did not do Bohemian Rhapsody. I was picturing that warped Mickey Mouse voice in that song. It sent chills up my spine. Although I didn't think they should go home based on last week, I do think they were the worst this week so I'm glad they were eliminated. I'd say Poor Randy Owen but I remember the incoherent mess he was when a judge so he needs to suffer.

GilvearSt

GilvearSt

Fanatic

Posted Jun 16, 2008 @ 10:09 PM

I love Tommy Stanley! Last week I was feeling good about him, but this week he totally won me over. That performance was fun, vocally strong and I love his presence on-stage. He's by far my favourite of the whole lot. He loves to perform and it makes me smile to watch him. There are a few contestants who can out-sing Tommy but he has such charisma where many are lacking.

Justin and Coffey need to sing country songs next week. They're the two with the biggest authenticity issues and by singing rock or pop songs they're not doing themselves any favours. Shawn and Ashlee broke out the sacred cows of country music this week and both were excellent. It also showed that they, unlike the two men, really are country artists. Alyson also impressed me this week by bringing her performance level down some and hitting the vocals.

Pearl Heart and Laura and Sophie are going to be compared and this week I think Pearl Heart came out a bit better. L&S sang another song that's too old for them. At least the problem has been identified so they can work on fixing it. I know the lead of Pearl Heart is basically the same age as L&S, but she comes across a bit older. I like her voice but I do find her a bit awkward. I don't think she needs a dance class as much as a drama class. Something to get her comfortable with herself and her movement.

Can't say I was sorry to see Third Town go. I was really excited for their BoRhap, but they backed away at the last minute. Dumb and wimpy. It probably would have been awful, but I think there is great potential in that song to work for country music in the right hands. Shawn had the right attitude and these guys who have so much more experience can learn from her. They didn't make any effort to improve on last week; it was still old-fashioned, it was all over the place and little Tony still can't sing.

Edited by GilvearSt, Jun 16, 2008 @ 10:10 PM.

valny

valny

Stalker

Posted Jun 16, 2008 @ 10:06 PM

No one blew me away tonight and most were pretty bad IMO. If I had to choose, I'd go with Pearl Heart as the best.

Justin's voice sounded real weak, no power to it. All pretty,no power I guess.
Who was the girl who was crying? Ashlee? The hell?

The judges; I kind of really dislike them all.

Shut up John Rich! I don't think AI judges would get away with the stupid things he was saying tonight, something about Jewel making out with Justin, and some other weird remark about in the bedroom with Laura and Sophie. Dumbass.

Edited by valny, Jun 16, 2008 @ 10:13 PM.

argrow

argrow

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 16, 2008 @ 10:09 PM

So glad Katie Cook is co-hosting this week. At least there's less Bill Ray Cyrus.

I think that I am almost done with this show. I'll go back watching season 1 over and over again cause this week? sucks. Are they any genuinely country contestants this season? Remember Tracy telling Miranda "don't make this girl go pop?" How far we have fallen now that there's almost no country element tonight. Pop goes country next week means more of what's going on tonight.

ronaround

ronaround

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 16, 2008 @ 10:20 PM

Not shocked that Third Town went, even though I somewhat enjoyed their "Elvira" performance from last week.

I thought many of the acts stepped up their game tonight compared to last week. Alyson impressed me with her countrified "Every Breath You Take" and I enjoyed Gabe's understated style and smooth vocals. The Battle of the Brunette Girl Groups was won tonight by... Laura & Sophie, although Pearl Heart wasn't too bad either, their lead singer's awkward stage movements aside. Justin's country-ish take on Plain White T's came off a little better than last week's Train debacle, and thankfully better than the trainwreck that his pre-performance package suggested (though still far from "good").

On the flipside, Coffey was better last week, Ashlee and Shawn both had weird diction issues again, Tommy was spastic, and Melissa (undeservedly in the bottom two) was the most markedly un-country tonight.

BillyBot must be mistaken when he said that next week was Pop Goes Country. That was this week.

Heh, no kidding. I was thinking, "how much more pop can some of these guys get than what they did tonight?"

ideefixe

ideefixe

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 16, 2008 @ 10:46 PM

So the judges must have been reading the boards here, re: Laura and Sophie. It'll be interesting to see what they sing next week. Still, they've got genuine charm, as well as great harmony, and that's what Pearl Heart lacks. The lead singer is short in the charisma dept. and the other two could be any random two girls dragged in off the street.

This season does seem to be lacking the energetic, breakout stars manque that I saw in seasons before.

I suggested to the the TV editor of the LA Times (second largest country radio audience in the country) that they follow the show, as they had AI, Dancing with the Stars, etc. in their Showtracker series, and she thought I was slightly insane to even suggest it.

quothapril

quothapril

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 16, 2008 @ 11:05 PM

There's no way Melissa was bottom two in the voting after last week, and I noticed that Billy Ray's cue cards only specified "final two." I don't actually think she's all that great, though. She and Alyson are both pageant singers (good ones, but still), no matter how much they try to tone down the theatrics. Not my style at all. But Melissa is pretty likable, and her popularity seems obvious to me.

Tommy is a little over-the-top too, but in a much less self-conscious way, so it doesn't irk me as much. I feel like it's genuine. I'm not a huge fan, but there's definitely a charm to his performances that reminds me - weirdly - of Elliott Yamin.

Between the two girl groups, I'd go with Pearl Heart. They've got potential, and Laura & Sophie are just too young. Either one is solid enough to stick around a while, though.

Justin and Coffey are not country to an almost comical degree, but at least Coffey has an okay voice (not outstanding). As much as I think John Rich is a tool, I can't blame him for being frustrated at the Justin situation. The kid has no business being on this show.

Last week I thought I might like Ashlee with a better song choice, and I was right - very solid performance. I didn't like Shawn at all last week, but she won me over this time. I like what she's trying to do more than I like the actual singing, but there's still a lot to be said for that.

Again, Gabe was probably my favorite. I want him to take off that hat at least once - I get the whole country music, Texas, cowboy hat thing, but I need to see his face when he's singing. Connecting with the audience could be a problem, despite that smooth voice.

I...kind of loved Third Town, honestly. Both weeks. But all wrong for this show, and I'm not surprised they're gone.

cvbear

cvbear

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 16, 2008 @ 11:25 PM

"Don't vote, Chet." STILL.

There's really not much there there with Laura & Sophie, is there? They're no Judds, they're not even Bellamy Sisters. Their harmonies are iffy, neither one of them stands out without the other, and someone has to take the lead as a "voice". I don't think either one of them is a standout force within that duo. Unfortunately for the show, they still do sound better than most anyone else on it, but they're too young to win something like this. Speaking of too young, Ashlee Hewitt's lights are on, but everyone went to Dollywood. Singing about a "burnin' ring of fahh" just makes her as lightweight as her brain-injured "Bubbly" last week. I can't honestly see her doing anything but working at a Hot Topic in Nashville.

Jewel is the reigning queen of folk-country? Apparently John Rich has never heard people like Emmylou Harris, Mary Chapin Carpenter and many other alt-country-leaning types sing.

Justin is to music what Justin boots are to fashion. Despite hearing that the three judges wanted him gone last week but NBC overruled them, that he's still here singing pop songs in that same, utterly clueless fashion, and that they'll keep him around until Beijing, will not surprise me. He's NBC's version of a ringer, only they don't know how to pull a Fox and make it less obvious. That? Was shit. He'd seem less like a poseur if he'd stop singing these fucking pop songs on a "country" show. Alyson survived, but pulls a Brooke and more or less copies her unironic Police cover on guitar. I'd have thought these people might want to see if anyone had ever covered these non-country songs before foisting them on the public. It's actually quite decent for a change, but since her own mentor seems to take an active hate towards her, I wonder if it mattered. Doesn't matter how much he licked her then, I still think he's angling for her departure sooner instead of later.

Pearl Heart got much better this week, but now they have to work on not looking so pathetic onstage---they need to look more natural and not quite so stiff. One guitarist moving over to the other's microphone for a couplet, and then going back to her own mic? That looked like she was saying, "Check out the too-tight shirt on Jeffrey!" instead of something real. But they did sound much better this week, even if they sang that Bon Jovi song that sounds a little like Sam Cooke's "Cupid". Tommy the Saliorman...wow, he either has balls or he's high. Singing one of the only two B&R songs worth a damn is daring when John's on the panel, but the problem is that I still don't think he's very good. He's rushing things along, got out of breath somewhere, and a song made for two voices doesn't work with one shaky voice.

Dear John: Taylor Swift is really not a model to use as an example of how to do stuff. Since she's just 18 herself, she's still learning too. So, kindly get clued in more with reality.

Dear Gabe: "Have You Ever Seen The Rain" is NOT a happy song. Smiling so frequently is not a good idea. But it's a decent performance, I can tell you can sing, you just have yet to know how to project the proper mood, with confidence.

Shawn? You really can't bring off the rare time I'll ever agree with John Rich, that "He Stopped Loving Her Today" is maybe the best country song written in the last 50 years. It was a boring sort of drunken karaoke, no life, no energy, no emotion, just empty singing. If you were only as emotional in the song as you faked it after the performance...you're pretty phony, and not near as good as you think.

Speaking of frauds, here's Coffey. We at least know why the vocal gymnastics are in his act: because when you take them away, he can't really sing all that well. He's a poseur, he's picking bad songs that don't suit him, and he's personally not that interesting. But if he's looking for a mother for his son, he could do worse than Shawn, since they're cut from the same fake cloth.

Trace Adkins bores me. He always has. I never watch The Apprentice, I can understand where people might be drawn to him. But as a singer, he's dull. And as a "personality", egads---he strikes me as being vaguely close to Cro-Magnon Man. But back on point, there's nothing about him that makes me want to turn off the mute button.

Watching Melissa's package, and hearing her savage "Natural Woman", was there anyone who didn't cringe? She's got some charisma, but there were far too many sharp notes that one could grate cheese on. It was maybe the worst choice of song of the night, because there's nothing about it that's country, and she couldn't even edit it down into something that sounded good in a brief form. Nevertheless, no way on Earth was she a bottom-two type.

As for Third Town, a bad idea is always a bad idea. A countrified BoRhap brought to mind so many bad things that there was no way it ever could have sounded good. As for what they did choose, though? Alabama is a good idea, but their signature song doesn't fit an act without a fucking fiddle. It was even worse karaoke than Shawn's performance, because they were sober verging on mentally ill at the end. I don't think they were honestly cut out for country, nevermind a show like this. It doesn't matter the order the mediocre acts go, as long as they actually go. If it wasn't now, it'd have been soon, and once they rid themselves of bottom-feeders like Shawn and Justin, the show should take flight. (ETA: after reading the post, I have to admit, yeah, I'm cranky tonight. That said, though, I expect my country to be more country and not performed at an amateur-show level like tonight was for the most part. I expected better, and rarely got it for myself.)

Next week: "Plop goes country".

Edited by cvbear, Jun 17, 2008 @ 12:17 AM.

CaffeinatedTV

CaffeinatedTV

Fanatic

Posted Jun 16, 2008 @ 11:40 PM

Point the first: Ouch. All over.

Point the second: Never thought I'd say this, but thank God for Katie Cook. I'd like to think that NBC was at least smart enough to realize that BillyBot is completely incapable of handling the hosting on his own, and therefore brought in Ms. Cook to smooth over the edges. She kind of bugs me on CMT, but I'll gladly take Katie over BRC. Any day.

Point the third: The hell? I heard about three actual country songs tonight. I know NBC would obviously disagree with me wholeheartedly here, but isn't the point of Nashville Star to find the next country music superstar?

Point the fourth: No more Third Town. No more countrified BoRhap (if only theoretically), no more unfortunate Oak Ridge Boys covers, no more terrifying "Little Toni," and no more nightmares. I hope.

Point the fifth: Giving the judges mentoring positions is pure stupidity. I can almost see the reasoning in that they (again, theoretically) have knowledge from experience, but now it's just a competition between the judges. If it was at all possible, Jewel cares even less about the contestants and even more about herself. Yes, Nashville Star viewers. We have indeed found the Twilight Zone.

Point the final: If NBC were a person, I would make an NBC-shaped voodoo doll and burn it. I would then make a second NBC-shaped voodoo doll, hang it on my wall, throw darts at it, give it to my neighbor's dog as a chew toy, accidentally drop it in a pot of boiling water, and then give it to a couple of drunken monkeys to play tennis with.

Edited by CaffeinatedTV, Jun 16, 2008 @ 11:42 PM.

GilvearSt

GilvearSt

Fanatic

Posted Jun 17, 2008 @ 7:16 AM

There's no way Melissa was bottom two in the voting after last week, and I noticed that Billy Ray's cue cards only specified "final two." I don't actually think she's all that great, though. She and Alyson are both pageant singers (good ones, but still), no matter how much they try to tone down the theatrics. Not my style at all. But Melissa is pretty likable, and her popularity seems obvious to me.

Maybe I've spent too much time on the AI Grassy Knoll, but calling Melissa out right at the end was very odd and manipulated to me. No way was she in the bottom two after going last last week and giving a solid performance. The producers had to know ahead of time that Third Town was going, so by putting Melissa up there with them it helps build a rabid voting fanbase and it lets her go last again without actually going last. Plus the fact that she was the only contestant still in the running to sing after the Trace thing makes her stand out in people's minds. She's TCO this year, I'd bet and the pimping is going to continue all competition long.

Edited by GilvearSt, Jun 17, 2008 @ 7:17 AM.

FourEyedNerd

FourEyedNerd

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 17, 2008 @ 7:50 AM

OK, this is not America's Next Top Male Model With a Guitar. Justin and Coffey both need to go! Both of them have shaky voices and neither of them made their songs sound country at all. I appreciate John Rich saying Justin must have snuck in through the back door. (However, that appreciation does not erase my disgust for comments about making out with contestants and possible pedophilia.)

Tommy Stanley must have been on speed (or maybe red bull and vodka). Yes, he had energy, but his eyes were popping out of his head more that Alyson's did last week, and he should have gotten called on that. His "dance" moves were completely spastic, and that one "legs-together" move he kept doing just made it look like he had to pee and was trying to hold it. His face during his performance scared me.

Gabe has the strongest voice of the males, IMO - just needs to learn some stage skills.

And really, how much more "pop" can country go next week? I shudder to ask.

Hildegard802

Hildegard802

Fanatic

Posted Jun 17, 2008 @ 9:47 AM

NBC has f*&"ing ruined what used to be a really good show. These people suck on every level that has ever been/ever will be constructed. On the original show, there were so many decent people (until that Erika Jo season), I'd have a hard time deciding who I liked best.

Agreed that Melissa is just as pageanty as Alyson, and I hate her with the passion of a thousand burning nuns for doing Aretha. On one hand, one contestant was told to make the song their own, and Melissa was told she didn't Aretha enough. The hell??

Country is no longer country, and I hate the likes of f*&King John Rich for killing it. Every Breath You Take??? John Mayer??? Train??? If I sing "Disco Inferno" out my nose and throw a few yodel-y twangs in, ala Alyson, does that make it country???? Apparently, yes; it does. HATE.

Ashlee has the most annoying vocal tics I've ever heard.

Coffey Who Can't Sing for Sh$@. The male model. Billy Ray--Most Uncomfortable Host on Earth. John Rich and his sexual inuendos for girls who appear to be twelve years old. Speaking of which, twelve-year-olds doing Up With People, high school talent show and High School Musical.

Pearl Heart is probably the best hope, but they need a good ten years. They're just painfully young and uncomfortable.

Hubby says Rich pushes Taylor Swift down our throats because she was an opening act for those a-holes Big and Rich.

All I can say is thank you, those who bother to vote, for getting that smarmy, third-rate lounge lizard act Third Town off my teevee.

What a joke of a show. NBC thinks we're stooooopid. But I'll keep watching to mock it, and because my baseball team doesn't play on Monday nights.

Edited by Hildegard802, Jun 17, 2008 @ 9:59 AM.

marie caroline

marie caroline

Couch Potato

• Interests:Brit soaps, reality shows,miniseries, reading biographies, mysteries and classic fiction, walking and people watching, particularly in NYC.

Posted Jun 17, 2008 @ 10:09 AM

I can't believe this used to be one of my favorite shows. By this time in the contest I always had one or two favorites I was pulling for - not this year. Justin is pathetic, Coffey has personality-plus, but can't sing without the vocal gymnastics, and Tommy has personality to the nth degree, making him very uncomfortable to watch for any length of time, sort of like a wanna-be countrified soul patrol. Only with no real country soul, just a karaoke one. I bet he is lots of fun on karaoke night.

Melissa bottom two, I don't think so - either the judges are ignorant of how it is done, and I wouldn't put it past them, or kept ignorant that they weren't the bottom two. On every Nashville Star in the past it was always made abundantly clear that the final two were not the bottom two. However, after hearing Melissa butcher that song last night, I think she deserved a bottom two spot, if there were not so many other worthy contenders vying for it.

I like Pearl Heart better than Laurie and Sophie as they seem more solid. Gabe has promise and I remember one of my faves from season one was also a Hispanic singer, John Arthur Martinez (my personal favorite of season one). Gabe is my "favorite" so far this season in this very weak group.

Alyson, Ashlee and Shawn gave better performances this week and I liked Ashlee the best of the three, but that is like saying I prefer bumblebees to wasps - I avoid both, but find bumbleebees more tolerable. And productive.

And I will say it - I was sad to see Third Town go, because they were so bad they were actually good, in a way that would keep me watching for the comedy. At least they were more interesting than Justin who is just plain boring through and through.

I was thinking the Clark brothers should have waited and been on this show instead of the one nobody watched. They never really qualified as a band, and they would have stood out in this group from Day One, but in a good way. And at least they actually sang COUNTRY.

Geez this show stinks. I will give it kudos in one change from how it was done before - they let the two "bottom" acts sing, then kick one off. I always hated that someone practiced all week and never got to have their last moment in the spotlight. But, right now, that is the only applause I can give this sorry excuse for Nashville Star. The country singers on American Idol would outshine this group of losers any day of the week.

corvus13

corvus13

Stalker

Posted Jun 17, 2008 @ 10:42 AM

Gabe Garcia is a country singer. Gabe Garcia is an awesome country singer. If he can loosen up and get the audience invested in him, he will win this in a walkover.

As for the rest: Nashville used to mean country. Now it means warmed over pop music.

oldandirritable

oldandirritable

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 17, 2008 @ 10:50 AM

What a stinky steamy pile of poo this show has become. The worst perfomers in past seasons could have mopped the floor with this group of hacks. Oh - and John Rich - the reason "pretty boy Justin" is performing is because you guys chose him.

RIP Nashville Star.

marielasis

marielasis

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 17, 2008 @ 11:32 AM

They should call this Nashville Pop Star. Seriously, where is the country? Singing "Every Breath You Take," "Natural Woman" or "Waiting on the World" with a twang does NOT make them country.

I was so excited when I heard that Nashville Star would be on one of the big networks, but this season has been horribly disappointing so far. I liked Billy Ray on DWtS (mostly his good-natured effort to learn despite the knowledge that he sucked as a dancer), but as a host he just drains all the energy from that stage. He's like a black hole that sucks any hint of excitement from the show, and the show has precious little to start with. The new judges are not much better either. I never thought I'd miss Anastasia Brown, but I'd take her in a heartbeat over Jewel, Rich and what'shisname. If I hear them pimp Jewel's new album one more time I'm switching channels and never back.

The worst part, however, is the lack of talent this season. I'm not sure I can blame NBC for that though, since the lack of success or promotion for the last couple of winners may have kept more talented or experienced performers from auditioning.

Last night's show was just bad. There wasn't a single great performance, and I still don't have anyone to really root for. I'd guess the best last night were Pearl Heart, but that isn't saying much.

Can't say I was sorry to see Third Town go. I was really excited for their BoRhap, but they backed away at the last minute. Dumb and wimpy. It probably would have been awful, but I think there is great potential in that song to work for country music in the right hands.

Agree. I wanted to throttle their "mentor" when he kept insisting they should do another song instead of helping them make the song they had chosen work. At least with BoRhap it wouldn't have been boring. There is no halfway with that song. When it works it's a great performance, and when it doesn't it's a disaster of such major proportions that it can't help but be entertaining. I was really interested in seeing how they planned to make it sound country and what their harmonies would sound like. Instead they wimped out thanks to their idiot mentor and went out with a whimper.

Hubby says Rich pushes Taylor Swift down our throats because she was an opening act for those a-holes Big and Rich.

Thank you. Since I think of Taylor Swift as the country world's version of Hannah Montana (meaning too much hype and too little talent), I was wondering why Rich was pimping her so much, and that would explain it.

ETA:

Speaking of too young, Ashlee Hewitt's lights are on, but everyone went to Dollywood. Singing about a "burnin' ring of fahh" just makes her as lightweight as her brain-injured "Bubbly" last week.

Her performance was certainly lightweight, but it wasn't due to the song per se. "Ring of Fire" doesn't have to be the cotton candy that Ashlee turned it into, as`shown last year by Dilana on Rockstar SuperNova.

Edited by marielasis, Jun 17, 2008 @ 12:08 PM.

Occasional Hope

Occasional Hope

Fanatic

Posted Jun 17, 2008 @ 1:38 PM

Laura and Sophie: I was thinking last week that they should try a Judds song, because there are a number of youthful sounding songs in their repertoire. Sadly, Rockin' With The Rhythm Of TheRain was the wrong choice, and I thought thier vocals ere pretty bad. They just aren't ready for this.

Ashlee: her diction sounds really odd at times, but I quite liked her interpretation, and it was one of the better performances this week.

Justin: still can't sing, and still can't find a country song to sing. I do actually like that song (though not his version), but it's not country. All he has is the pretty. He looked incredibly uncomfortable up there holding his guitar.

Alyson: complete failure to understand the song, although it sounded quite nice if you weren't paying any attention to the lyrics. Like her. She also seemed to be singing a melody some distance away from that originally written. Also not a country song.

Pearl Heart: I thought the harmonies were a bit messy, but it was an improvement over last week. Again they picked a non-country song, but they did manage to make it sound countryish. Bearable.

Tommy: I thought he was dreadful, shouty and tuneless on one of the stupidest songs ever to blight country music.

Gabe: I liked his voice a lot on this, although the song itself was a little dull. He seems to be the most authentically country of this year's cast, and since they cut Charley who would have competed with him for that vote, I could see him going a long way, and maybe even winning. I guess he was my favourite this week, although I'm still not super enthusiastic.

Shawn: over-ambitious on her song choice, and predictably came to grief. She started out oversinging, and then went off key.

Coffey: I quite like the tone of his voice, but there was absolutely nothing country about that. But it was pleasant enough, which makes it at least mid range this week.

Melissa: not as good as last week. Another non-country song sung badly - off pitch and shrieky on the high notes, although her voice sounds nice on the lower notes.

Please to go home next: any of Justin, Tommy or Alyson, and I wouldn't be heartbroken to lose Shawn, Coffey or Melissa.

It seems to be every week, this year. And Billy Ray comes across as the blandest TV host I've ever seen.

hilaryvm

hilaryvm

Fanatic

Posted Jun 17, 2008 @ 1:45 PM

Ahh...I liked Third Town. My dad was in town and watched it with me last night (not having seen this show ever before) and he only made two comments - he liked Gabe's song, and he liked Third Town's performance. I thought they were fun.

I can't believe model boy is still in this. He barely looks like he can play the guitar, forget about singing.

I'm left with Gabe, Pearl Heart and Lauren and Sophie (who I can't help but like since they seem so excited about it all).

TinselStar

TinselStar

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 17, 2008 @ 3:05 PM

This show is really hard to watch. Everything seems just a bit off. BRC is polite, but not lively enough to be a good host. The judges will sometimes give constructive criticism, but it gets lost in their posturing/album promotion/masturbating their egos. And while some of the singers are OK, I can't help but think that none of them would have made past Day 1 during AI's Hollywood Week. Kristy Lee Cook, even with all her vocal shortcomings, would wipe the floor with these contestants.

If we could some combine Gabe's voice with Coffey's personality, then we would have the makings of a potential star.

krcit

krcit

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 17, 2008 @ 3:24 PM

Does Jewel have a new CD out? Even my 13 year old daughter called out the pimping of it. Lame.

vallegirl

vallegirl

Stalker

Posted Jun 17, 2008 @ 4:30 PM

Gabe Garcia is a country singer. Gabe Garcia is an awesome country singer. If he can loosen up and get the audience invested in him, he will win this in a walkover.

He's been my horse in this race since last week, but I was surprised to hear Jeffrey complain that he still looks terrified. Maybe it was more evident live than on TV, but he seemed to loosen up a bit. Although, I agree that it's not really the happy song he sang it as.

I was surprised but then ultimately glad that Third Town got the boot. I don't think I could have listened to "little Toni's" voice for another week. It was just so ear-bleedingly unpleasant. Justin's may be weak, but at least it doesn't household pets.

Reality-OD

Reality-OD

Fanatic

Posted Jun 17, 2008 @ 7:03 PM

John Rich is the Paula Abdul on this show. Saying stuff about Jeffrey asking teen minors to take off their pajamas was icky, and over the line, and not even funny.

A Bad Example

A Bad Example

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 17, 2008 @ 8:19 PM

John Rich is just gross and horribly inappropriate in a completely non-entertaining way. And I find the relationship between him and Jewel to be sort of squicky.

I used to love this show. I even had some respect for Anastasia. Now it's just pop-crap.

And hey! Did you know that Jewel has a new album out? Good lord.

quothapril

quothapril

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 17, 2008 @ 9:05 PM

John Rich is the Paula Abdul on this show.

They're all the Paula a little bit, which is maybe the problem with this judging panel. John Rich has that tendency to be inappropriate and gross, Jewel is playing the empathetic character, and Jeffrey Steele is way too prone to "creative" metaphors that end up making no sense at all. But in general, the only one I dislike is John Rich, and at least he has his entertaining moments. I've seen worse judging panels - last season's, for one. Blake Shelton was good for comic relief, but the other two were dead weight. I'd take this trio over that one.

The funny thing about the pimping of Jewel's CD is that I don't blame her for it at all. She had this look on her face like she thought it was overkill, especially after the second time it came up. As I recall, John Rich brought it up because he produced it and he's exactly that kind of douche, and Billy Ray mentioned it again later because he's a whole other kind of douche.

Rachel RSL

Rachel RSL

Stalker

Posted Jun 17, 2008 @ 9:13 PM

I'd say Poor Randy Owen but I remember the incoherent mess he was when a judge so he needs to suffer.

Hee! Worst judge ever! Anastasia was annoying but Randy just seemed like he had a case of shaken baby syndrome. Permanently.

I was really rooting for Melissa to go home. I'm not fond of her at all. I find her voice very "shrieky", if that's an actual word. Plus, she makes weird faces when she sings. I guess I'm a great big dork who would probably enjoy a county fair because I liked Third Town. Not loved them, but they had good harmonies, they had good energy, they seemed like nice guys, and I give extra bonus points for anyone who actually sings a COUNTRY song. John Mayer, The Police, Aretha..the hell?

John Rich is the Paula Abdul on this show. Saying stuff about Jeffrey asking teen minors to take off their pajamas was icky, and over the line, and not even funny.

That was beyond icky! Although, I kind of got the impression that he made the comment and then remembered right after how young the girls were, hence the "I'm sorry. I'm sorry." Still, icky! But I do give him major props for having the guts to tell Justin that he has no business being on this show!

Dear Gabe: "Have You Ever Seen The Rain" is NOT a happy song. Smiling so frequently is not a good idea.

Ahhhh, memories of George Canyon and "My Friend's Son Died Hey Let's Go Ride A Horse!"

Poor Chet, he never gets to vote.

CaffeinatedTV

CaffeinatedTV

Fanatic

Posted Jun 17, 2008 @ 9:47 PM

Poor Chet, he never gets to vote.

Makes my day. Every time.

I'm not even going to try commenting on the judges' stupidity anymore, as I think they're all on their own different kinds of drugs. Probably smoked while listening to Jewel's new album.

Lincolnave

Lincolnave

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 18, 2008 @ 1:08 AM

Damn you marielasis. I just spent an hour on Youtube watching RockstarSupernova vids and now Im just pissed that Kellie Pickler is all over my radio and Storm Large is nowhere to be found.

As for the crapfest NBC has turned this show into. I hope Clark Kent goes back to Smallville next.

Edited by Lincolnave, Jun 18, 2008 @ 1:14 AM.

Alexa

Alexa

Fanatic

Posted Jun 18, 2008 @ 7:01 AM

I am so disappointed in the selected contestants this year. Usually NS has some good talent, but I am not seeing much this season. And I hate that they are singing so many non-country songs. I feel bad for the last two NS winners, as they are so much better than these people and didn't get the opportunity to show their skills on network tv.

sundodger78

sundodger78

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 18, 2008 @ 9:47 AM

Wow, it's taken me two days to post since the episode aired. I was waiting for my ears to stop bleeding. Huh.

My man Gabe is still my man. My woman Melissa? I think one of her five children must have snuck in and took her place on a sugar high. Man, that was shrieky. Man, I don't feel like a woman. Just, man.

Can it be possible for Judge Jeff to switch one of the guitar playing triplets to switch with her sister as lead vocal. Either one sound like they have a stronger voice.

Attention K-Mart Shoppers: All attempts at "dancing" shall be grounds for immediate heave-ho off the show. Don't Helen Keller me with bleeding ears AND poking sharp objects in my eyes having to watch everyone's lame hot messes. Especially Sapho and Sophie with your self-choreographed boy band moves. *shudder*

Edited by sundodger78, Jun 18, 2008 @ 9:48 AM.