Kathy Griffin / MLotDL in the Media

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

159 replies to this topic

TWoP Gadget

TWoP Gadget

Fanatic

Posted Jun 15, 2008 @ 3:07 AM

Your media sightings go here...

elvira7

elvira7

Fanatic

Posted Jun 15, 2008 @ 1:00 PM

New York Times: Kathy Griffin Just Can't Shut Up

calvinthefish

calvinthefish

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 15, 2008 @ 11:53 PM

Thanks elvira7, that was an awesome article. I had no idea she went to Walter Reed. Kathy is pretty amazing, that is for sure.

jackiecarr

jackiecarr

Stalker

Posted Jun 19, 2008 @ 2:45 PM

Damn, I'd didn't know that the show had started already.
Kathy was on Howard Stern this morning discussing Lauren Hutton's "Paula Abdul moment" at the A-list awards. Hee! She talked of how D-list and self-congratulatory the awards were, especially that they gave one to Tila Tequila. She said that she and Steve Wozniak dated a few times but never got physically intimate. She's up for role-play in the bedroom.

arizonamyrie

arizonamyrie

Stalker

Posted Jun 23, 2008 @ 9:13 PM

Graham Norton briefly discusses filming his short segment on MLotDL on the BBC America website. Click on the link called "Interview with Graham," and it's in the fourth section of the interview.

donleavy

donleavy

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 24, 2008 @ 12:04 PM

KG in dlisted.com. (Appropriate, I guess?)

donleavy

donleavy

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 27, 2008 @ 11:28 PM

Kathy's show won Best Reality Program at the GLAAD awards. Yay, Kathy!

Funkybeat

Funkybeat

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 1, 2008 @ 3:53 PM

I don't know if anyone can help me out with this. Does anyone remember when Kathy was on Jay Leno one time before D-List even started? I remember she said something so hilarious. She was talking about how Oprah said not being let into that store was the most offensive thing that ever happened to her or something and Kathy said "wasn't she raped when she was 12?" or something like that. Then the audience was booing her and she was like "Did I cross the line? I crossed the line."

Was that the same episode where Jay was saying things about how she's ugly, which later made her cry?

And why does she say she was banned from Jay Leno, when she pretty much just stopped going on her own?

AnnieGirl

AnnieGirl

Fanatic

Posted Jul 1, 2008 @ 6:57 PM

Kathy's show won Best Reality Program at the GLAAD awards. Yay, Kathy!

Winning this award rendered her speechless (almost). Her acceptance speech was so dull. She seemed flustered and not her quick witted self.

Regardless, Team Griffin looked fabulous!

JakeyIsSusan

JakeyIsSusan

Fanatic

• Interests:television (duh!), pro wrestling, pop culture, awards shows, writing, dreaming, procrastinating

Posted Jul 4, 2008 @ 2:27 PM

She was talking about how Oprah said not being let into that store was the most offensive thing that ever happened to her or something and Kathy said "wasn't she raped when she was 12?" or something like that.

She said, "And she says this is the most humiliating to ever happen to her ... wasn't she molested as a child?" The joke did NOT go over well with the audience.

IIRC, it was a different episode than that of the Carmen Electra joke, but I want to say this was after that whole incident happened, even though Kathy claims the reason she's banned from Leno is because he was portrayed in a negative light on her show.

donleavy

donleavy

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 6, 2008 @ 9:41 PM

IIRC, it was a different episode than that of the Carmen Electra joke, but I want to say this was after that whole incident happened, even though Kathy claims the reason she's banned from Leno is because he was portrayed in a negative light on her show.

Could it be that she was invited back before that D-list episode aired? I don't know the timelines, just guessing.

Anyway, if that's really the reason Jay Leno's banned Kathy, that's very small-minded of him. It'd be better if he did invite her back, and offered a quick public apology in the beginning of their chat. "Hey, didn't mean to hurt your feelings, sorry. And congrats on the Emmy! Blah blah ..." Kathy would accept it, it'd be water under the bridge, and he'd seem like a great guy.

Found an old article by Kathy about investing:

http://www.bankrate..../20060606b1.asp

I don't want to buy $3,000 handbags. All that stuff is stupid to me. Anything that depreciates, I don't like.

She totally loves nice handbags! She bragged about her Prada handbag during that British chat show. Not that I blame her because I'm a purse-whore myself, but I just thought this was funny.

KraftEasyMac

KraftEasyMac

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 7, 2008 @ 1:04 AM

For the most part I've heard explanations about why Kathy's been "banned" from various talk shows (Astroglide-gate and the View, Gelman's dislike for her for R&K, Jay Leno's unhappiness with his portrayal on the show and Ellen's dislike of Kathy's type of humor), but I always hear that she's banned from Conan O'Brien and I can't imagine why! Conan's show is one of the only talk shows that I genuinely like, and he seems to have a great sense of humor and I can't imagine him banning Kathy unless there's a ginger quota they can't go over or something. Does anybody know the reason behind this alleged banning?

henrysmom

henrysmom

Fanatic

Posted Jul 7, 2008 @ 8:15 AM

sf gate article

I hope this link works--a very funny interview with Kathy in the San Francisco Gate.

Funkybeat

Funkybeat

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 7, 2008 @ 9:01 AM

Kathy is definitely banned from Conan... She's seriously never been on it. I'm sure there's a reason why. I think the big problem all the shows have with her is that she's really into talking shit about celebrities.

I think one time in a comedy special or something she said something about Ellen's show and how she loves Ellen but understands that Ellen's big thing is being nice to celebrities and since Kathy's not really into that, she can see why she's banned. But it's weird to see that Ellen doesn't seem to like Kathy since Kathy loves her.

But she was on the Ellen show for the first time recently. I didn't watch it but I know there are clips on youtube.

I don't think she was banned from Leno because of how he was portrayed on the show. Right after the incident where he offended her, she said something like "Great, another show I'll never be on again." I took that to mean that she just...will never do Leno again by choice.

agrgurich

agrgurich

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 8, 2008 @ 1:25 PM

Kathy Griffin is going to be on the Tonight Show this week. Leno mentioned it last night.

The D-List forun says its going to be on Thursday, July 10.

So much for the so-called "ban".

voiceover

voiceover

Fanatic

Posted Jul 8, 2008 @ 3:08 PM

Was that the same episode where Jay was saying things about how she's ugly,

I love Kathy, but this whole incident bothered me. She started the whole thing by joking about either Pam Anderson or Carmen Electra (heh -- interchangeable], I think there was a side-by-side photo, she mocked her appearance by comparison, and Jay came back with something to the effect that Kathy was like the stepsister, or the friend of the cute girl in the bar. He was totally playing along with her angle, he's joked a million times about his OWN looks, he's joked with fellow comics about THEIR physical attributes...it seemed to me that he was including her in the "Comics' Club" with that remark (like, "Hey, we're so comfortable together & such good sports that we can take potshots") -- and she took it the wrong way. Very oversensitive.

Disappointing -- how would this woman live through a roast? Even when you're not the Guest of Honor, as a fellow presenter, other comics trash you to your face (ever see Lisa Lampanelli on either the Pam Anderson, Jeff Foxworthyetc etc roasts?) -- it's part of the game.

Plus, I doubt Jay was pissed at how he was portrayed. (Letterman is the sensitive one!) It seems like he was upset that she was upset (didn't they say on that ep that he came out to her limo & apologized?).

I'm very excited about her appearance this week. He'll probably reference it & apologize again, but I hope he doesn't.

Funkybeat

Funkybeat

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 8, 2008 @ 3:42 PM

Does anyone else think it's hilarious that Leno, the most innocent and family-friendly of the late night talk shows, is the only one that Kathy isn't banned from?

agrgurich

agrgurich

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 9, 2008 @ 1:42 PM

Why do you assume that she's banned from ANY talkshow? I suspect the "ban" is nothing but hype. There may be some shows that don't invite her, but that's hardly a blacklist.

Funkybeat

Funkybeat

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 10, 2008 @ 5:25 PM

She says herself that she is banned from Letterman, Conan, Ellen (let back though) and The View.

I don't get why she hasn't ever been invited to Saturday Night Live. She'd be so funny and since the stuff would just be pre-written, she couldn't say anything ...mean about anyone.

Dinzie

Dinzie

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 10, 2008 @ 5:59 PM

I think there was a side-by-side photo, she mocked her appearance by comparison, and Jay came back with something to the effect that Kathy was like the stepsister, or the friend of the cute girl in the bar.

IIRC, it was a side-by-side photo of Kathy and Carmen Electra, and Jay said to Kathy that she looked liked the "before" in a before and after makeover. It was actually a nasty cheap shot that made the audience gasp. It wasn't like they were going through photos of themselves with other celebrities and laughing together about how gorgeous the other people were; Jay pretty much called her ugly out of the blue. It wasn't funny.

agrgurich

agrgurich

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 10, 2008 @ 6:03 PM

My apologies to anyone I may have offended. I must say that I take what Kathy said about a "ban" with a grain or two of salt.
The "ban" does make her seem edgier. Even if she's considered a loose cannon, she's a pro who usually knows how far she can go.

voiceover

voiceover

Fanatic

Posted Jul 11, 2008 @ 12:37 AM

I thought she looked stunning on the Tonight Show tonight -- she looked teeny-tiny! a tight short black dress & little jacket, hair swept to the side. Jay asked her about the series, about Woz, about the CD. She was first up, with a second segment. No incidents (other than her demonstrating the gesture she made to Justin Timberlake backstage at the TVLand Awards), and I was intrigued by her & Adam Corolla on the couch together. (I used to think he was a jackass, but he was pretty funny on DWtS, so now I like him) Too bad he's married -- very interesting couple they'd make! Although it could be one of those things where = too much alike.

Chloee

Chloee

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 11, 2008 @ 1:46 AM

Her body looked AMAZING on Leno. WOW, Kathy...WOW!!

Still Sammy

Still Sammy

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 11, 2008 @ 2:41 AM

I suspect the "ban" is nothing but hype. There may be some shows that don't invite her, but that's hardly a blacklist.

I think so, too. I think some shows just don't want to risk (1) alienating potential future guests by having her on talking badly about them or (2) her using the backstage experience at the show as material for her act. There's probably a fear among some (especially someone like Letterman who owns his show and is very protective of it) that Kathy would spill any backstage gossip or possibly embarrassing encounters, and it's just not worth it to them to have her on. I think it's unfortunate because I've heard Kathy mention how much she respects people like Letterman and Regis, and I do think she has her own sort of rigid honor code when it comes to that sort of thing. She spins it as banning because it does make her seem edgier, but I wouldn't say they are actively against her. It's just a mostly self-imposed hurdle that she'll have to continue to deal with.

needsleep05

needsleep05

Fanatic

Posted Jul 11, 2008 @ 6:12 PM

He was totally playing along with her angle, he's joked a million times about his OWN looks, he's joked with fellow comics about THEIR physical attributes...it seemed to me that he was including her in the "Comics' Club" with that remark (like, "Hey, we're so comfortable together & such good sports that we can take potshots") -- and she took it the wrong way. Very oversensitive.

I love KG and Jay Leno annoys the living shit out of me, but I gotta agree with you on this. I think she's funny as hell and I love that she lays into celebrities, but she makes her living ripping on people, some of whom have legitimate substance abuse problems. He was genuinely trying to play along, but IMO he's really bad at the unscripted banter and he fucked it all up. To hear KG explain it you'd think Jay stood on the desk out of the blue, pointed at her, called her ugly and laughed manically into the camera.

Anyway, here's Part 1 of her Leno interview from last night. Please let the next season of the show be about Kathy's quest to rid the world of The Hills cast. It says it was posted an hour ago, so I'm assuming Part 2 will be up later today. I don't think I've ever seen her look so good. Seriously. She looked fantastic.

BTW, she explains what re relationship to Waz really was and where they stand now.

Random note about the vid: I'm kind of horrified that no one in the audience seemed to know who Ricky Gervais is. Get thee to Netflix, Leno audience!

Edited by needsleep05, Jul 11, 2008 @ 6:13 PM.

AnnetteFun

AnnetteFun

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 11, 2008 @ 7:06 PM

I agree, Kathy looked fantastic on Leno last night! Her hairstyle was flattering and her figure looked great. Though I had originally hoped they'd explain the little "feud" from last time, in the end I was glad they didn't. The interview went great and Kathy brought her A game. She didn't try too hard (a la the Oprah stuff on Larry King)...she just let the stories flow and Leno reacted appropriately. Added bonus was the Adam Carolla story about not knowing who Woz was at some event and treats him like crap...then feels like an ass later when he finds out who it was. Funny stuff!

DeMoTV

DeMoTV

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 11, 2008 @ 8:55 PM

Only saw the first part on You Tube. Kathy, if you read these boards, and I think it's been said that you do, you're so freaking fabu. No, I'm not a gay man, but I love you just the same.

I may be delusional, but I choose to believe the person I see on my screen is who she is in private. The first season of the show, though scripted, showed me someone I really liked. Unless she's "on" all the time, and I suppose the little red light on the cam could put someone in performance mode, but that's a lot of acting, I think what we see is what we get.

Edited by DeMoTV, Jul 11, 2008 @ 8:58 PM.

Huntley

Huntley

Fanatic

Posted Jul 12, 2008 @ 7:49 AM

Is it me or does Kathy's voice-over, in the preview for next week, pronounce Jessica as "Hessica"?
It's probably in honour of their Mexico trip and I think I love it!

Edited by Huntley, Jul 12, 2008 @ 7:50 AM.

jcin617

jcin617

Fanatic

• Interests:30 Rock, The 4400, Battlestar Galactica, Deadliest Catch, Family Guy, Heroes, Kathy Griffin: My Life on the D-List, The Office, Rome, The Simpsons, Ugly Betty

Posted Jul 17, 2008 @ 8:44 AM

I don't know if we need an Awards thread, but Kathy picked up 2 Emmy nominations:

Outstanding Reality Program ("Kathy Griffin: My Life on the D-List")
Outstanding Variety, Music Or Comedy Special ("Kathy Griffin: Straight to Hell")

Edited by jcin617, Jul 17, 2008 @ 11:21 PM.

fatcatmatt

fatcatmatt

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 17, 2008 @ 6:34 PM

Wahoo! Go Kathy!

I literally held my breath until I got to the bottom of the nominees list just to see if Kathy was nominated. I was so excited for her. Whew. The possibility of not one, but TWO Emmys in a year is way too exciting.