Kathy & Her Other Projects

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

130 replies to this topic

TWoP Gadget

TWoP Gadget

Fanatic

Posted Jun 14, 2008 @ 4:22 PM

This thread is for a) Kathy talk and b) talk about her projects other than "D-List." Discussions about things you see on the show should go in the proper episode thread - this is for Kathy beyond the show.

Attitude

Attitude

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 17, 2008 @ 4:39 PM

I have forced myself to watch several episodes of D-list and the Bravo A-list awards and a couple of other shows featuring Kathy Griffin to try to see what I am missing. I can't understand why this woman is on television. She is talentless. She is not funny. At all. She is unattractive and her voice is beyond painful. All I can think is that she's like those movies that are so bad they are fascinating to watch. You just can't believe how bad they are. But that's good for an hour or so. Not week after week. She doesn't belong on the D-list. She belongs on no list. She should not be a performer.

Cuff Links

Cuff Links

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 18, 2008 @ 12:51 AM

I love these clips of Kathy going off on the Osmond Family and describing an Oprah show where Marie gives Oprah a black doll. The moment she goes "you know how sometimes you're watching TV by yourself and you see something that's so freaky, you have to turn to your imaginary friend....who's not there...?" just makes me laugh my ass off.

Edited by Cuff Links, Jun 18, 2008 @ 1:05 AM.

henrysmom

henrysmom

Fanatic

Posted Jun 18, 2008 @ 10:57 AM

I have to admit that I run hot and cold on Kathy. When D-List first started, I vaguely remembered her as one annoying person on a show full of annoying people (Suddenly Susan) and from her guest bits on Seinfeld, which I didn't care for. Then I saw D-List and was a fan.

I loved her interaction with her parents, her then-husband, and her in-laws. Loved the dogs, and didn't mind Jessica. Didn't particularly care for her two favorite gays, and wasn't all that upset when they didn't show up for season two. The situations she got into seemed true to life, and I never got the idea they were staged.

Then like the fool I am, I had to start reading up on Kathy and the show. I read rumors that her marriage was actually in big trouble before the show even started filming, that the main gays were actually jettisoned by her when they asked to be paid for their appearances. The show then seemed less appealing and more staged.

Another year on, I was really ticked when she went public for the reason her marriage ended--not so much because I was a big fan of Matt's, but because I hate it when one person gets to air their grievances about their relationship and the other doesn't because they are less/not a star (same case with Hilary Swank and Chad Lowe).

I was also a little confused by her comments about how she respected Lance Bass' need to stay in the closet, even showing him with a pretty blonde woman on an episode of her show, when she doesn't show the same respect to Clay Aiken. I don't care if Clay is gay or not, but he doesn't want to out himself. Why should Kathy feel compelled to do so when she was so protective of Lance Bass? So I lost a little respect for her there.

When season three of D-List started, I was kind of still interested, but not so very much. The part with her losing her dad was sad and genuinely touching, but I honestly can't remember much else that went on. Her mom "moving in" was so clearly staged that I couldn't care about it. The two new "characters" of Tom and...wow, can't even remember her name. At any rate, I don't like Tom at all, and the other new assistant clearly is boring to me.

This season? Well, truthfully I haven't gotten around to watching episode one yet. I may or may not, but from what I've read, it seems like it is majorly staged, and if I want staged reality shows, I have many other options. So while I don't hate Kathy, I'm finding it harder to really care either. Shame, because for awhile there, I really liked her. But maybe I'll come around again, who knows?

paradig_m

paradig_m

Fanatic

Posted Jun 18, 2008 @ 11:44 PM

When season three of D-List started, I was kind of still interested, but not so very much. The part with her losing her dad was sad and genuinely touching, but I honestly can't remember much else that went on. Her mom "moving in" was so clearly staged that I couldn't care about it. The two new "characters" of Tom and...wow, can't even remember her name. At any rate, I don't like Tom at all, and the other new assistant clearly is boring to me.

henrysmom, I urge you to give season three another look. It had some amazingly funny episodes (I think these were all season three: The GayVN awards, the prison tour, the trips to England and Ireland [hosting gay karaoke for a bunch of surly, glaring gays], and the HSN audition--I am laughing just thinking about it).

I don't doubt that Kathy's show has some staged moments, but season three was hi-larious to me! I can totally understand running hot and cold on Kathy (e.g., the "white Oprah" stuff in season three was not funny to me and bordered on cringe-worthy and pathetic), but the show as a whole is one of the best things ever to be part of the "reality" genre IMO.

AnnetteFun

AnnetteFun

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 19, 2008 @ 5:03 PM

Kathy is not everyone's cup of tea, but I am a huge fan. Yes, her show is obviously staged, but so is every other reality show on the air these days. And the difference to me is, Kathy's funny....as opposed to Denise Richards, Paula Abdul, etc. Every episode, she makes me laugh. I "get" her sarcasm, and I just love the way she snarks on all the celebs.

Tom creeped me out at first but now I think he's kinda funny. Admittedly, Tiffany does seem boring and it's annoying the way she giggles at everything Kathy says. Jessica is very funny in a deadpan way and really knows how to come back at Kathy.

What other celebrity with a reality show goes to Iraq to entertain the troops? Love her!

JakeyIsSusan

JakeyIsSusan

Fanatic

• Interests:television (duh!), pro wrestling, pop culture, awards shows, writing, dreaming, procrastinating

Posted Jun 20, 2008 @ 6:45 PM

I didn't consciously become a fan of Kathy until stumbling onto a marathon of Celebrity Mole: Hawaii. She's funny throughout, but the last two episodes, where the final three are her, supermodel Frederique van der Wal, and Disney Channel hunk Erik von Detten (he was like Zac Efron without the singing), are incredibly enjoyable. There's a strange chemistry between the three of them.

Shelwood

Shelwood

Stalker

Posted Jun 21, 2008 @ 3:13 AM

I vaguely remembered her as one annoying person on a show full of annoying people (Suddenly Susan)

And here's where I out myself as the lamest of lame: I liked Suddenly Susan. Particularly Kathy (but also David Strickland, Nestor Carbonell and Barbara Barrie). I watched it through all the painful revamps, even. I cringe a little inside when I see Kathy's dead rabbi husband Ben hawking Valtrex. Hmm, if Kathy's D-List, what does that make him?

PaminBB

PaminBB

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 21, 2008 @ 12:23 PM

The idea that some aspects of the show are staged/scripted doesn't really bother me. Kathy has kind of turned her life into a piece of performance art with this whole celebrity-chasing D-list schtick, and I'm entertained (maybe I enterain easily).

I heard part of the interview she did this week with Howard Stern, did anyone hear the whole thing? She seemed to be on a roll, pretty funny.

Cuff Links

Cuff Links

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 21, 2008 @ 5:40 PM

Oh yeah, "D-list" is more staged and scripted than a presidential inauguration -- all reality shows are. But a lot of thought and talent goes into both the staging and the script. I love how Kathy knows that there's nothing glamourous enough about her life for her to just do a reality show that people will watch simply because they want to know about Kathy. Kathy knows that unless she is hilarious and entertaining, no one will watch the show so she brings it. Meanwhile you have people like Paula Abdul who think that their lives are soooooo fascinating that all you have to do is turn on the cameras and the entertainment will happen on its own. Kathy works her ass off to make the show entertaining and it shows.

Edited by Cuff Links, Jun 21, 2008 @ 5:53 PM.

Quiddler

Quiddler

Fanatic

Posted Jun 22, 2008 @ 6:20 AM

I'm stoked - just bought a ticket to see Kathy in Detroit when she comes here in October. Sweeeeeet! I had to go on StubHub to get a ticket in the orchestra pit, but since it was only a single ticket there wasn't much of a premium on it. A friend who attended a show last year told me that, because they were sitting in the back of the house, he felt like he was missing a lot at times. (You know how Kathy will sometimes stand there for several seconds making faces and emoting? Good on TV, not so good from the back of the house.)

Only 4 months to go! <heh>

AnnetteFun

AnnetteFun

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 22, 2008 @ 2:25 PM

Kathy knows that there's nothing glamourous enough about her life for her to just do a reality show that people will watch simply because they want to know about Kathy. Kathy knows that unless she is hilarious and entertaining, no one will watch the show so she brings it. Meanwhile you have people like Paula Abdul who think that their lives are soooooo fascinating that all you have to do is turn on the cameras and the entertainment will happen on its own. Kathy works her ass off to make the show entertaining and it shows.

This is so well-put, Cuff! I always thought Kathy was funny on Suddenly Susan (I actually liked the show), but didn't become a huge fan until I stumbled upon D-List in Season 1, along with her stand-up specials. I was hooked -- I find Kathy hysterical.

I must say, I do watch celeb reality shows partly for the curiosity factor -- seeing their homes, their decor, how they live. But they quickly bore me if the celebs have no personality (Denise Richards, Lohans) or their personality doesn't translate well into a reality format (Snoop). I predict "J-Lo's" new reality show will be the same type of snoozefest unless Marc Anthony turns out to have a hidden rapier wit. I can't think of a more boring personality -- and that annoying laugh....

Anyway, back on Kathy -- Quiddler, I bought a single ticket to one of Kathy's shows in A.C. at ended up in one of the first few rows, it was great! Sometimes being a single is worth it.

Pam, I didn't hear the Howard Stern interview, I'm not a subscriber but wish I would've heard that....I did see her on Larry King and thought she was funny, but maybe a little too much schtick on Oprah.

Carmella

Carmella

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 23, 2008 @ 6:03 AM

I didn't consciously become a fan of Kathy until stumbling onto a marathon of Celebrity Mole: Hawaii. She's funny throughout, but the last two episodes, where the final three are her, supermodel Frederique van der Wal, and Disney Channel hunk Erik von Detten (he was like Zac Efron without the singing), are incredibly enjoyable. There's a strange chemistry between the three of them.

Same here. I didn't really know anything about Kathy until I watched a marathon of "Celebrity Mole: Hawaii," and since then, I keep my eye out for her Bravo specials and shows. She IS funny throughout CM: H, but I agree, there's something very strange about how interesting the chemistry is between her, Erik, and Frederique.

I wish she'd say something about her time on that show, but all I've heard her say is that winning Celebrity Mole cements you as a D-Lister, and someone said she said Erik von Detten is really stupid.

carried away

carried away

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 24, 2008 @ 6:49 PM

I just got her CD "For Your Consideration," the one she taped in Tracy. It really isn't that funny. Her stand-up specials are much funnier. I wonder what went wrong.

Funkybeat

Funkybeat

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 24, 2008 @ 11:02 PM

I just got her CD "For Your Consideration," the one she taped in Tracy. It really isn't that funny. Her stand-up specials are much funnier. I wonder what went wrong.

I thought it was really funny. It was just a little weird for her because there wasn't that much celebrity material. I think most of her standup specials were funnier, except for "Strong Black Woman" which I think was the worst.

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted Jun 25, 2008 @ 7:16 PM

Why didn't Kathy get on Celebrity Family Feud? That seems right up her alley, and she would have been one of the better known celebs. With her mom & her 3 assistants, they would have had the best team.

dumbmonkeygirl

dumbmonkeygirl

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 13, 2008 @ 5:13 PM

I've always loved Kathy's stand up but never had much time for her as a so called celebrity.

However I was sleepless one night and stumbled across some clips of her on Celebrity Mole. From what I could tell she was genius on that show. My favourite part was when Stephen Baldwin (who practically gave me some horrible STI just looking at him) was voted off and everyone was giving these phoney testimonials about how, 'unique,' he was. Then the reality tv music of inspiration swells, the camera cuts to Kathy, and out she comes with it, 'he was a cunt. What a cocksucker!'

Absolutely brilliant. As far as I'm concerned she can be as irritating and self serving as she likes now. She's got a pass for life.

feminaformosa

feminaformosa

Fanatic

Posted Jul 18, 2008 @ 7:44 AM

I love her stand-up. We watched a bunch of her standup on Bravo before we started watching D-list. Even my (straight) husband, who hates celebs and doesn't really know who most of them are, likes her b/c she makes fun of religion. She had him at "Suck it, Jesus!"

nelra

nelra

Couch Potato

• Interests:The Pretty...

Posted Jul 19, 2008 @ 11:46 AM

I happened to see Kathy on an episode of The Fresh Prince of Bel-air this week. Her hair was big and they had her in big glasses.

valny

valny

Stalker

Posted Jul 25, 2008 @ 10:59 PM

I was flipping channels tonight and I saw that KG was going to be on The Dog Whisperer. Had her ep been on before? It was about a 10-15 minute piece. It was a longer version with the dogs on the treadmill like they showed on a previous ep and some other stuff with them. At the end there was a close up of her Emmy with a note stuck on it that said: Reserved for Cesar Milan.

I happened to see Kathy on an episode of The Fresh Prince of Bel-air this week. Her hair was big and they had her in big glasses.

Anyone know what season that was from?

ETA- never mind, I found out, she was appeared in S1 and S2.

Edited by valny, Jul 25, 2008 @ 11:02 PM.

Christi

Christi

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 25, 2008 @ 11:49 PM

She hosted Larry King tonight. The topic was the paperazzi, and she had guests like Dr. Drew and Brooke Hogan. Its was kind of surreal and uncomfortable to watch, like when she was interviewed by Larry.

Edited by Christi, Jul 25, 2008 @ 11:51 PM.

nelra

nelra

Couch Potato

• Interests:The Pretty...

Posted Jul 26, 2008 @ 11:04 AM

I thought KG did an awesome job and she was cracking up Dr. Drew, the lawyer dude and the E! reporter.

jcin617

jcin617

Fanatic

• Interests:30 Rock, The 4400, Battlestar Galactica, Deadliest Catch, Family Guy, Heroes, Kathy Griffin: My Life on the D-List, The Office, Rome, The Simpsons, Ugly Betty

Posted Jul 26, 2008 @ 12:23 PM

I loved her on LKL! I agree, I thought she did a great job as host - her little asides were great.

Dillusional

Dillusional

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 26, 2008 @ 4:18 PM

I thought she sucked on Larry King. She read tonelessly from the TelePrompter, she and the guy at the restaurant kept talking over each other, and the paparazza had a very annoying speaking manner. She started almost every sentence with the same phrase. The topic didn't interest me, plus who wants to see Geragos and Dr. Drew again? They're more overexposed than a 90-year-old at a nude beach. And Brooke Hogan? Ugly and boring, just for starts.

Not a good forum for Kathy. But she could have had a great show if she brought on a bunch of comics like Mario Cantone, Joy Behar, etc.

Edited by Dillusional, Jul 26, 2008 @ 4:22 PM.

Kakariki

Kakariki

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 27, 2008 @ 12:14 AM

Not a good forum for Kathy. But she could have had a great show if she brought on a bunch of comics like Mario Cantone, Joy Behar, etc.

Ugh. No, those hack comics suck. Joy used to be OK, but has really gotten stale as she has NOTHING new to say. And Mario is the worst of comics. REALLY REALLY annoying. At least he wasn't screaming when he was on the Bora Bora episode of MLOTDL, because I would have had to turn if off. He is just the worst of comics to me. Like a loud gay Don Rickles. And that is NOT a good thing.

I much rather see Kathy bounce her humor of non-comics such as she did on Larry King Live.

CommonTater

CommonTater

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 27, 2008 @ 12:45 PM

I was underwhelmed by the LKL appearance. She stumbled around with her questions and just generally seemed off her rhythm.

Edited by CommonTater, Jul 27, 2008 @ 12:47 PM.

ImEasy

ImEasy

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 27, 2008 @ 10:06 PM

I for one found Kathy to be hilarious, as usual, on LKL. I would love to see her do it again about the same topic. It was very entertaining.

MissPrism

MissPrism

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 28, 2008 @ 5:22 PM

Generally, I'm a pretty enthusiastic KG fan, but I didn't enjoy her that much on Larry King. I just don't see her as a permanent talk show host in the future -- she's too big a presence vis-a-vis other guests. When I see Brooke Hogan and KG on the same set, I could give a shit about what BH says. Just give me some Kathy talking smack about Brooke.

Cuff Links

Cuff Links

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 1, 2008 @ 5:56 PM

I thought that considering she was trying to do Larry King's job (ie moderate, inform etc) and not necessarily be entertaining and funny, she did a good job. A typical Larry King Live episode is already scripted and it's live so she's reading from a teleprompter and asking questions that have been prepared by the producers. It speaks volumes that she was able to go off script a few times and make it funny occasionally and still stay on course. Yes, she wasn't her usual hilarious self, but she wasn't really supposed to be. If she had acted like the Kathy we know and love, the show would have been all about her and it wasn't supposed to be. There was a topic and there were guests etc. It was nice to see her in "professional mode". Although, I prefer her when she's scathingly funny....

valny

valny

Stalker

Posted Aug 4, 2008 @ 11:52 AM

I still haven't see it yet. Can that be found on YouTube or the CNN site? I looked on YouTube a few days after she appeared and didn't see it.

Edited by valny, Aug 4, 2008 @ 11:54 AM.