Secret Life of the American Teenager

• Please log in to reply

5410 replies to this topic

KaveDweller

KaveDweller

Fanatic

Posted Jun 5, 2013 @ 5:17 PM

What was with the weird music cue as Whatsherface and AmysBlackFriend walked past Grace & Jack  and said "If you get bored..."?  I get that they were sorta inviting them to the party, but why the odd music change?  I thought maybe they were hitting on Grace as a way of bringing back the "Grace is a closeted lesbian" storyline, especially with the looks exchanged between Grace and the two ladies, but then...nothing.  Did I miss something

I think she was suggesting to Jack that if he gets bored with Grace he should call her.  Since they seemed to have hooked up last week (or kissed at least), but we never saw any other fall out from that.  Was Jack still planning on marrying Grace if she wanted? 

Edited by KaveDweller, Jun 5, 2013 @ 5:17 PM.

Marie Claudine

Marie Claudine

Fanatic

Posted Jun 6, 2013 @ 12:04 PM

What's funny to me is how easy it would have been to write a good old generic finale, even if you want the same outcome as Brenda. Let's see:

• Opening: Amy sits in her old house, reminiscing and looking around soulfully. Maybe a little montage.
  • Graduation. Show the cap and gown thing, show Amy's and Ricky's families (including Ashley) coming together since they think the two will get married, and clapping along. Show Grace's folks. Show SK, Chloe and Camille. Show people hugging and telling each other they'll stay in touch. Show parents telling their kids how proud they are. The kids don't deserve it, but parents do that.
  • Show the hallway scene (with Amy actually hugging her two "best friends" goodbye!)
  • Show Amy and Ricky at Anne's house, with their families, having a celebratory drink. Grace and her folks are also there. Because parents do that, even if there's a wedding the next day.
  • Show Alice, Henry and Ben reminiscing.
  • Show Adrian arriving home, then her reunion with Omar.
  • Show Grace and Jack saying goodbye at the house and leaving.
  • Show Ricky and Amy go to another room; actually show how she tells him she's not going through with the wedding. Have them do their shouting bit, have her run out. Have the shocked families each rushing to their kid, with George ranting, Anne reassuring Amy, and Ashley snarking; and with Nora telling Ricky that it's better not to marry someone you don't love, and Margaret and Shakur telling him they have his back. Also: show Amy hugging Lumpy, so we can actually believe for a second that she is not the worst mom known to man. Show Tom and Kathleen leaving.
  • Show Jack revealing the Madison kiss at the Bowman pool house. Have them break it off, with Grace actually being honest about having wanted out for a while.
  • Show Ethan going over to Cathy's; show them talking about how maybe it's not good to be too damn serious this young, comparing themselves to Ricky/Amy/Ben; but deciding to be good friends for now and maybe more or some such nonsense.
  • Show Ricky and Amy, at their apartment, having cooled off, talk about how they'll make it work for Lumpy.
  • Show Amy saying goodbye and leaving.
  • Show SK saying goodbye to Ben.
  • Show Adrian packing up the condo.
  • Show Amy at the airport, having doubts and maybe crying, so again, we can believe for another second that she' not the world's worst mom.
  • Show Ricky and Lumpy reading together.
  • Show Amy in her new college. Then tie it up somehow to the beginning of the series, for instance with a new classmate walking up, introducing herself and saying something generic like "I'm so excited to be in New York! This will be great. We are only young once, we should have a little fun!" Then show Amy looking sappy and soulful for a second, remembering how Molly Ringwald said that to her, then smile her "second chance smile" and walk off for a coffee with the classmate. The End.

This took my like 5 minutes to think up and type. It's uninteresting and perfectly generic, but it is a finale that says goodbye to the people on the show, even the boring and creepy once, as finales do. Apparently the most of a goodbye Brenda managed was in the title of this worst series finale ever.

Then again: After the repeated resurrections of 7th H, maybe Brenda doesn't really believe that this is the end...

Edited by Marie Claudine, Jun 6, 2013 @ 1:35 PM.

Ryn The Tyn

Ryn The Tyn

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 6, 2013 @ 8:48 PM

After hate-watching for so long, they couldn't even give us the satisfaction of a proper trainwreck of a finale. So annoyed.

Bazinga

Bazinga

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 7, 2013 @ 4:51 AM

Haha I do that phone thing to. I hate talking on the phone and mostly talk to family so it's no biggie. I'm more of a texter, allows me to MULTI-TASK.

As for Amy's "best friends" what best friends? She rarely hung out with them or talked to them(especially after season 1)All they seemed to do was stab her in the back with gossiping.

To the guy who said you thought out of the original characters who would end up happy at series end that it would be Adrian I never would have made that bet as a betting man. I knew Amy was out of the picture and I had big doubts on Ricky. Grace was too damn self0righteous. Jack was a creepy lesser version of Ben. My money was always on Ben. But I guess I lose.

I'll miss the show and i'll admit that, even if it has sucked for atleast 2 seasons now. The first season(minus the birth episode)was pretty solid. The second season wasnt too bad. The show for me started going to hell when Adrian had to have sex with Ben and got knocked up. It officially went to hell when they lost the baby. I get it shows get worse gradually overtime but the last 2 seasons was the same damn arguement for the storyline.

I was no a 7H fan. I never understoood the hype. But i'll admit my views were slanted because they played the religious card and i'm not a religious guy. I think I was forced to watch a season or two because for some queer reason the rest of my family liked it and we had no other TVs downstairs. Finally we got one and i'd go watch something else or play video games then. I was also in grade school when that junk came out so I couldn't relate. But this show as cheesy as it kind of was it started the year after I graduated HS. So having just gone through that from 04-07 I could relate to all those issues. I definitely could relate myself best to Jack or Ben...probably more so Ben(minus the stalker approach)I think almost any guy could relate to Ben if the first person they were ever serious about was as nice and what not like Amy actually was when she was with him.

This season just felt rushed but honestly I don't know why they had to drag this issue on for 2 seasons either. I liked someones idea saying they should have done it sooner and let it play out. I wush they had done it at the end of season 4 for a cliffhanger into the new season. Someone also mentioned something about a 7H first finale. Are you telling me that show cameback from the dead for an extra season? Why? Was this cheesy sendoff by Brenda supposed to give hope that might somehow also happen with SLAT? I'm shocked it giot canned, I wonder why? I would bet it was in the Top 3 still of shows being watched that ABCFamily was currently airing.

Marie Claudine

Marie Claudine

Fanatic

Posted Jun 7, 2013 @ 8:24 AM

Someone also mentioned something about a 7H first finale. Are you telling me that show cameback from the dead for an extra season? Why? Was this cheesy sendoff by Brenda supposed to give hope that might somehow also happen with SLAT?

No, I don't think there's hope (actually I am not hoping, I'm quite content it's over, but for those who'd want another season, I don't think there is hope). In the case of 7th H, the producers were preparing for the end in Season 8 and 9, so they had their finale plans all ready, but each time, it got renewed. Finally, season 10 was supposed to be the last one, so they did a full-blown series finale. And then 3 days after that "series finale", CW announced that they were picking 7th Heaven up for an 11th season. Which is why I said this, but it was just a joke - I don't assume this will happen with SLAT, too!

I agree with you that this season simultaneously felt like a drag and like it was rushed. They never took the time really to tell any stories, but the stories they did tell were dragged out at nauseam.

KaveDweller

KaveDweller

Fanatic

Posted Jun 7, 2013 @ 2:02 PM

And then 3 days after that "series finale", CW announced that they were picking 7th Heaven up for an 11th season. Which is why I said this, but it was just a joke - I don't assume this will happen with SLAT, too!

The geniuses at CW thought that since the ratings spiked for the first final, it meant they would be up if they brought it back again.  Because no one would ever turn into a show they stopped watching just to see the end.  I don't think SLAT had any ratings surge for the finale.  

GeoBQn

GeoBQn

Fanatic

Posted Jun 7, 2013 @ 5:20 PM

On AV Club, they had a link to a feature article that said, "Author Ken Baumann talks about a new series of books about video games."  I thought, "Surely that isn't the same Ken Baumann as the actor who plays Ben on Secret Life."

Yes.  Yes it is.

http://gameological....tor-and-writer/

He is speeding away quickly from his ties with the show.

Anna Yolei

Anna Yolei

Stalker

Posted Jun 7, 2013 @ 8:41 PM

The geniuses at CW thought that since the ratings spiked for the first final, it meant they would be up if they brought it back again.  Because no one would ever turn into a show they stopped watching just to see the end.

Season ten also happened to end a couple of months before the WB/UPN merger, so I figure TIIC thought it was a good idea to give it one last shot. The season averaged about 3 million viewers and the fauxnale was more than double that. Stupid, stupid move, since the ratings nosedived even harder in S11.

I see no such "luck" here, and thank God for that.

Marie Claudine

Marie Claudine

Fanatic

Posted Jun 8, 2013 @ 5:36 AM

I see no such "luck" here, and thank God for that.

Thank God indeed. Because no matter how many more seasons they'd make, it would always be about whom Amy chooses and how Amy will get everything she bloody well wants. I've had my fill. I was laughing when I watched the episode where Kathleen's mother dies, and my boyfriend offered a sarcastic "Oh, the poor lady! Now she'll never knew whom Amy will choose!" It was really like that. Everything that wasn't directly related to Amy's choice had to take a back seat.

Pippin

Pippin

Fanatic

Posted Dec 30, 2013 @ 8:21 PM

I never watched this show, but just dropped by because I saw a clip on "The Soup" that made me laugh like a loon.  But it was not intentionally funny, and that's what's so sad.

A female character turns on a male and snarls, "I've been looking all over for you!  Where have you been?!!"

Angle on the male character:  He's in full football gear.

Well, duh.

Looks like Brenda hit the (low) mark once again.

Can anyone tell me how this woman keeps managing to get her stuff on-air?  Does she have compromising pictures of network executives with goats?  Or is there a room in her house with black candles and pentagrams?

Anna Yolei

Anna Yolei

Stalker

Posted Jan 18, 2014 @ 2:23 PM

And for the record Grace and Jack have now:
-Started off as the perfect Christian couple
-Broke up
-Got back together
-Broke up again
-Professed hate for each other
-Getting get together

We are six episodes in.

Was re reading this thread for giggles and shits, and this stuck out for the simple fact that this ended up being their story for the whole of the series' run. I honestly don't even remember if they ever had sex after the one time that "killed" her dad, but I do remember Jack was always either begging to get back with her or begging to sleep with her in between break ups.

Ah, good times.