Hell's Kitchen vs. Other Cooking Challenge Shows

• Please log in to reply

2 replies to this topic

isiscloud

isiscloud

Stalker

Posted Jun 11, 2008 @ 4:35 PM

From HK4: Day 11 Thread

Well, it has been known to happen that a network starts working on an idea but takes time to fully execute the idea. In the meantime, sometimes other networks catch wind and cook up (no pun intended) the same idea but whip it on air before working out the bugs. Suppernanny/Nanny911, WifeSwap/TradingSpouses are examples of this same concept.

However, I don't see Hell's Kitchen as the same type of show as Top Chef or even The Next Iron Chef even though there are similarities in some of the challenges that are unique to cooking.

My Take:
Hell's Kitchen: looking for the best manager, with some emphasis on cooking ability, creativeness, but not creating their own restaurant per se. Chef doesn't need to be as much a chef as a cook who can pull things together for a restaurant.
Top Chef: looking for the best all-around chef who can do a variety of things, but you don't really know if they're going to be an exec chef or more of chef/restauranteur. Chef needs some leadership ability, but the cooking and creativeness is the star.
Next Iron Chef: Looking for someone who can take whatever's thrown at them during an Iron Chef challenge to beat the competitor. Doesn't really need to be a restaurant chef, just meet the challenge and WIN.

thoughts?

ETA: I think there's room for all three if you keep in mind their differences.

Edited by isiscloud, Jun 11, 2008 @ 5:07 PM.

tesseractgirl

tesseractgirl

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 11, 2008 @ 6:21 PM

I kinda have to disagree just a bit on "Next Iron Chef". I mean, they had some pretty heavy hitters there. Besh himself has...what, 3 restaurants just in the New Orleans area.

And back in the day, the "goal" of Hell's Kitchen was "supposed" to be Ramsey proving that he could turn anyone into a chef...*sigh*-the good old days.

Yzerra

Yzerra

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 13, 2008 @ 3:05 PM

There is definetly room for all 3 of these shows, but I don't think they'll be looking for a new Iron Chef anytime soon. Though I would say that Top Chef requires the most all-around talent, HK requires the most capacity for learning, and Iron Chef is a huge test of time management.