The Real Housewives of Atlanta

• Please log in to reply

32299 replies to this topic

TWoP Howard

TWoP Howard

TWoP Moderator

Posted Mar 18, 2014 @ 2:49 PM

Please don't discuss NeNe's appearance on Dancing with the Stars here. It didn't happen on this show, so it's off-topic here. Dancing with the Stars has its own forum, so you can discuss her there. The DWTS forums are here, and NeNe has her own thread here. Thanks!

Edited by TWoP Howard, Mar 24, 2014 @ 2:34 AM.

eblairj

eblairj

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 24, 2008 @ 11:31 PM

I live in Atlanta and I'm sure this show is going to blow.

So true! Sandy Springs, Alpharetta and Duluth have me LMAO. The first thing I learned about Atlanta neighborhoods is the difference between "OTP" and "ITP," which for those of you unfamiliar is "out of the perimeter" (suburbs) and "in the perimeter" (city and some surrounding areas like Decatur). I'm an ITP girl and the last thing I want to do is look to my television to check out the OTP lifestyle.

cheeztoast

cheeztoast

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 25, 2008 @ 9:08 AM

Does anyone remember that series of shows that was titled Single in the City? There was a New York version, a Las Vegas version, maybe a Miami version (?) and finally an Atlanta version. I watched all of them and they were all pretty bad, but the New York and Vegas ones had unbelievably artificial, out-of-the-ordinary delusional women that made them somewhat entertaining. The Atlanta version was almost too real, with completely ordinary boring people. I think that one got put on in the middle of the night and then just disappeared. I can only imagine this Real Housewives will do the same and I can't see Bravo promoting this as much as it does the O.C. and NY versions.

BKs Nimo

BKs Nimo

Fanatic

Posted Jul 25, 2008 @ 10:27 AM

Entertainment Tonight - Meet the Housewives of ATL

DeMoTV

DeMoTV

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 25, 2008 @ 1:57 PM

Old money in the south is Junior League, DAR, etc...So...to get a true picture of Housewives in Atlanta, Bravo has missed it all together.

Each Bravo "Housewives" has missed it. OC is hardly society. Ditto for NYC. These are people with enough money to be interesting/funny and the shows offer a glimpse into a monied-world, but there isn't a society woman among them. Can't imagine that Atlanta will be any different. Society likes to keep their dirt hidden (though there's plenty of it), while the people who are newer to money don't seem to have a problem sharing their dirt. And I thank them.

LaVieDouce

LaVieDouce

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 25, 2008 @ 4:17 PM

Sandy Springs, Alpharetta and Duluth

Oh Mah Gah! Is this where the new batch of fameho's is from?!? Lol! Please, that is hardly real South $$$...It's more like New Rich! I was jogging on Peachtree like 2 weeks ago and I saw a camera crew filimg outside of Justin's and I got the feeling it was for this trainwreck.

ags

ags

Fanatic

Posted Jul 30, 2008 @ 11:26 PM

Me thinks the blonde, country singer wannabe's boyfriend wants to stay out of camera range because his wife won't understand him wanting to be on a cheesy reality show.

headhurt

headhurt

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 31, 2008 @ 4:04 AM

Just when I thought Bravo was scraping the bottom of the barrel with Date My Ex, they come out with this drivel and prove me wrong. They should have named this show "Real Golddiggers of Atlanta". The only things these women have in common is that they all live in Georgia, and that they married and/or sleep with the right guys. I wish they could have featured smart, professional women...instead of kept women who apparently have the voodoo poon. Tacky. Tacky. Tacky.

Me thinks the blonde, country singer wannabe's boyfriend wants to stay out of camera range because his wife won't understand him wanting to be on a cheesy reality show.

Word. She's probably the most hideous of them all.

I will not be tuning in to this show again. I'd rather watch re-runs of Mork and Mindy. Bravo really missed the mark with this one...

samschoicecola

samschoicecola

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 31, 2008 @ 7:17 AM

OMG. Terrible. The only one not truly hideous was the pretty one that "designed" jewelry that was married to the football player. Nene and the blond - Your basic gold digger and prostitute. And for the blond to teach her daughters to just find a big Poppa to buy you a tacky ass Cadillac, she was the worst. Somewhere after that and the part of Nene in a nice restaurant screaming for the waitstaff for more wine, I turned it off.

nique

nique

Fanatic

Posted Jul 31, 2008 @ 8:15 AM

It was only a preview and I hate them already.

MyrnaC

MyrnaC

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 31, 2008 @ 8:18 AM

My mouth is hanging open.

The sheer blunt force of the vulgarity has left me stunned.

It was like a herd of cattle wearing wigs and lipstick passed through my living room.

stuckingeorgia2

stuckingeorgia2

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 31, 2008 @ 8:32 AM

Wow! What can I say? I moved to Atlanta three years ago and this is the MINORITY of what goes on in Atlanta. I would even justify to say that these "women" (and I use that term loosely) are in maybe the 15% of how people in Atlanta TRULY live. And if THAT!!!

I was really shocked! As someone mentioned earlier, these women DID happen to land one of the 30 available, single men IN Atlanta and get them to marry them. If these women were NOT married to these richie rich hubbies they would be riding MARTA with me and everybody else in the working world!!! They would be getting their weaves done on MLK drive and dating a "shawty" who is tryin' to make his "paper" flippin' sh*t in da' streets!

It is ridunkulous how nowadays with the recession and everyone strapped for gas, food, etc these people think NOTHING of it to have a 88 bedroom house and just waste waste waste!!! It KILLS me to see such frivulousness in this day in age. I would LOVE to see these women AFTER their sugar daddies dump their asses for a 25 year old. Because it DOES happen!!!

Thanks Bravo for allowing me to move to another channel to find another show to watch because I will NOT be watching this self-indulgent mess of a show!!!! No thanks!!! No how! No way!

stuckingeorgia2

stuckingeorgia2

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 31, 2008 @ 8:32 AM

Wow! What can I say? I moved to Atlanta three years ago and this is the MINORITY of what goes on in Atlanta. I would even justify to say that these "women" (and I use that term loosely) are in maybe the 15% of how people in Atlanta TRULY live. And if THAT!!!

I was really shocked! As someone mentioned earlier, these women DID happen to land one of the 30 available, single men IN Atlanta and get them to marry them. If these women were NOT married to these richie rich hubbies they would be riding MARTA with me and everybody else in the working world!!! They would be getting their weaves done on MLK drive and dating a "shawty" who is tryin' to make his "paper" flippin' sh*t in da' streets!

It is ridunkulous how nowadays with the recession and everyone strapped for gas, food, etc these people think NOTHING of it to have a 88 bedroom house and just waste waste waste!!! It KILLS me to see such frivulousness in this day in age. I would LOVE to see these women AFTER their sugar daddies dump their asses for a 25 year old. Because it DOES happen!!!

Thanks Bravo for allowing me to move to another channel to find another show to watch because I will NOT be watching this self-indulgent mess of a show!!!! No thanks!!! No how! No way!

Your Grace

Your Grace

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 31, 2008 @ 8:44 AM

I'm an ITP girl and the last thing I want to do is look to my television to check out the OTP lifestyle.

You too! I had to give up my apartment that was about 5 minutes (driving) from downtown Decatur. I'm in between places and currently sleeping on an aero bed at my parents house OTP down I-20 East. I hate it. Everyday it reminds me why I hate the suburbs. Nothing's open after 9, there are only crappy chain restaurants, the traffic to get downtown for work is horrible, if I want to shop I can only go to a crappy mall that's more than ten miles away on crappy un-lit roads littered with deer xing signs. Where I use to live there were 4 malls and 3 Targets within a 6 mile radius and boutiques that I couldn't afford in the trendy little enclaves nearby. I am desperately looking for a roommate so I can move back ITP.

Anyway, I didn't watch RHOC and only some of RHNY. As a black woman, even though I shouldn't be, I sometimes can't help being a little embarrassed by black folks acting a fool on national TV. My viewership of Flavor of Love and I Love New York aside, you have to watch those shows knowing those people are trash. With this it's like "This is how they act with money?"

With that said I will probably watch and will look at this like the trainwreck it's intended to be and have some fun with it. I first lady with the job I liked. Nene will probably get on my nerves, but even though she's loud and obnoxious I don't hate her now. The white girl and the divorced single mother are classic golddiggers. And the one with the house staff seemed like the biggest idiot of them all.

Edited because "N" are "R" are not the same letter

Edited by Your Grace, Jul 31, 2008 @ 8:48 AM.

baj4life

baj4life

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 31, 2008 @ 9:12 AM

I like how the preview introduced the Housewives in order of increasing odiousness.

Kiss My Grits

Kiss My Grits

Fanatic

Posted Jul 31, 2008 @ 9:35 AM

Old money in the south is Junior League, DAR, etc...So...to get a true picture of Housewives in Atlanta, Bravo has missed it all together.

Those are more mainly white institutions in the South- but you also have Jack and Jill and Links as was mentioned at the start of this thread which is what group I thought they would be more focusing on if they were going to do the elite African American Atlanta community in particular since Atlanta does not just have a white elite group. I thought the first woman was not that bad (at least in comparison of the others and she actually worked), and could see her being a member of Links or having her son attend a Jack and Jill event down the road.

I think this show could have been more interesting with non-entertainment/baller wives with a better mix of native ATLiens v/s transplants from other cities (particularly those not from the Southeast), different ethnicities, different backgrounds (those born into the Atlanta elite v/s those who worked their way up from the rougher parts of the city) and those who embrace v/s reject the Southern heritage of Atlanta (that whole New South thing). I think that would have made for good TV.

I agree it would have been fun with a mix. I would have not just liked it if it was old Anglo money, Daughters of the Confederacy (do they still have that there, they did when I left in the 1990s) but it would have been fun with more variety. I don't see anything wrong with have one athlete or artists' wife (again- I think the first woman was all right enough) but a mix would have been fun.

Edited by Kiss My Grits, Jul 31, 2008 @ 9:39 AM.

MrsSea

MrsSea

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 31, 2008 @ 10:38 AM

It was like a herd of cattle wearing wigs and lipstick passed through my living room.

that sums it all up! LOL

reinoe

reinoe

Fanatic

Posted Jul 31, 2008 @ 10:55 AM

I didn't watch the O.C. or N.Y. versions of the show, but I'm going to watch this one. Whether this show is So Bad It's Good or So Bad It's Horrible won't matter to me. I'm going to enjoy the snark. With that said on to the "women"...

Lisa Wu Hartwell-The only one I liked. She's not relying on hubbies money to live, owns her own business.

NeNe Leakes-HATE! Or at least I think I hate her. Was she the one who had the estate manager, chef, nanny, some job title I've never heard of, and personal assistant? I thought "with all this fucking hired help what the hell do you do around the house?"

Kim Zolciak-White Jailbait Ass.

DeShawn Snow-I don't remember anything about her.

Sheree Whitfield-My first impression was Omarosa. She wants to be successful but she's keeping herself from getting to the top.

gfinacoma

gfinacoma

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 31, 2008 @ 11:09 AM

I watched Project Runway last night and there was no mention of this show, in fact, aside from places like Media Take Out, I wouldn't know this show was coming.

I never watched the OC version, but watched every episode of the NY housewives. Those that mentioned old-money Black families, they probably weren't even approached. I've read that the joke of the OC housewives were that they lived in an inner OC subdivision, not the Newport Beach crowd, and the NY ladies as well, although I have a soft spot for them, weren't blue blood Park Avenue types either.

Some other websites have criticized some of the Atlanta ladies for being a little thick, but that's to be expected.

DeMoTV

DeMoTV

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 31, 2008 @ 12:01 PM

I was really looking forward to this and found myself enjoying the first profile. A kick-ass woman doing her thing and enjoying her marriage. Working hard and playing hard. Enjoying a good life.

And then came NeNe. NoNo. For about a millisecond I thought she might be fun. I thought wrong. She's abrasive. Give her a few drinks and watch the fuck out. Even without a few drinks, duck and run for cover. The woman has no censor button.

The aspiring country singer is aspiring to one thing. She wants to be Big Papa's Big Mama but, as someone else noted, surely that role is filled. Talk about a kept woman! Her house said it all. He bought her a townhouse to stow her away. Throws her a few bucks to shut her up and keep her on call. There is something distinctly wrong when even some of her girlfriends have never met him. Expect a Dateline Special about her disappearance. Or an episode of Snapped when she loses it on him.

Sheree is all 'tude with nothing to back it up, from what I saw. She's trying to rape her ex and get seven figures. I wouldn't proudly announce that. Yeah, you'll attract lots of future prospects with that declaration.

I think it was DeShawn who has the cast of thousands to serve her. Beautiful showplace, but not a home. And she has a house manager so she doesn't have to speak to the other staff? What society instruction manual did she read? Such an elitist attitude. Cute kids, though. They seemed to get a real kick out of their new house. Loved that her husband thought she was a fool that her father was called to see if he had any special requests for his visit. Didn't love that he said, "Don't aks (axe) my father." As bad as LuAnn from NY saying "anyways."

I might watch the first episode to see if I find them tolerable, but so far I'm only interested in/entertained by Lisa Hartwell, but she's not enough to carry a show for me.

tortugal

tortugal

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 31, 2008 @ 3:09 PM

I watched this last night because I was a little obsessed with Eric Snow when he played for Michigan State. We used to go to the games all the time. 15 years or whatever it is later, he still looks EXACTLY the same! His wife is a trip, though.

IIRC, he always did talk "ignant" when he did interviews and stuff, so stay tuned for more "Don't axe my father" if they are going to keep showing him.

GucciHoochie

GucciHoochie

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 31, 2008 @ 3:24 PM

Great summer show. I'll be tuning in every week.

I've had the displeasure of meeting the Snows, and Deshawn is just like she is on the show -- a nasty witch. But her husband Eric is very nice, but she's running the show. Its almost as if he's embarrassed by her behavior most of the time.

I had no idea that Eric made that much, to afford that house and huge staff to run it.

Vetasimmons

Vetasimmons

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 31, 2008 @ 4:05 PM

I am totally confused. Was the line busy when Dallas called to apply for this slot? Because this doesn't resemble Atlanta, from the tight, flashy clothes to the big hair to the ostentatious houses, to the Rolls Royces and Escalades with rims to the big wads of hundred dollar bills and the loud, vulgar public behavior. Yes, I know they shot it in Atlanta, but it's not even recognizeable to anyone who's ever spent time in Atlanta.

I'll bet a few comments will come back to haunt someone. "If it doesn't make me money, I don't do it." This coming from a wife and mother, who also supports several charities.

And Lisa Hartwell? Her real estate company with the big conference room and all those employees, the many $200,000 commissions, and the "client" meeting, doesn't seem to exist. A Google search only brings up RHOA hits. No listings.

Her Hart 2 Hart baby clothing gets no hits either. No website. No news items. There's already a baby carrier by a similar name, however, so she's got a problem. And her Wu jewelry also doesn't seem to exist, either.

It's really interesting how several of these ladies mistake "costly" for "classy."

Edited by Vetasimmons, Jul 31, 2008 @ 4:05 PM.

Marla Singer

Marla Singer

Fanatic

Posted Jul 31, 2008 @ 4:17 PM

I'm watching the first episode now and I honestly can feel my soul getting sucked out through my DVR. I've never watched an episode of this show before but I was curious about this season with the black housewives. My suspicion that any "real" black socialite in Atlanta would never be on this show was confirmed. If I go to hell when I die this show will be on all of the televisions.

ETA: Who builds a "dream" home and only works with the interior designer for three hours?

Edited by Marla Singer, Jul 31, 2008 @ 4:20 PM.

ridethemaverick

ridethemaverick

Fanatic

Posted Jul 31, 2008 @ 4:35 PM

I loved it!

They are just as trashy as the OC gals, which I was hoping for. I've been in Atlanta all my life (I can remember when living OTP was a GOOD thing hee!), and I knew they wouldn't get any old money African-Americans. I was right.

I hate that Bravo is treating this show the way it is, though.

Boton

Boton

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 31, 2008 @ 4:36 PM

Who builds a "dream" home and only works with the interior designer for three hours?

Someone who says, "I don't care what you do, just make this house the biggest, most ostentatious, most expensive temple to new money you can."

mrs peel

mrs peel

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 31, 2008 @ 5:17 PM

I've had the displeasure of meeting the Snows, and Deshawn is just like she is on the show -- a nasty witch. But her husband Eric is very nice, but she's running the show. Its almost as if he's embarrassed by her behavior most of the time.

I had no idea that Eric made that much, to afford that house and huge staff to run it.

Well, I ran his name and came up with that he's making $7.3m now, and apparently in May he was considered for the Chicago Bulls coaching job -- if he could get out of his playing contract. Didn't bother to see what happened to that. (edited to add) it looks like he got injured in 2007, had knee surgery and hasn't played much. That's great money, and he probably has a number of endorsement deals, but it's not like he's a major player in a major market, so I don't know how he has enough for a staff of 5-6, a 15,000sqft house, plus the house in Cleveland.

http://www.cleveland...e....xml&coll=2

He did seem nice, and she seemed to walk all over him.

Both Snows have foundations, oh yeah, I'm sure Deshawn put her own money into that (/sarcasm not totally off yet/). And she is working, no big surprise she got her real estate license in 2004 and has a glossy webpage for her "business" www.edjrealty.com I do love that several of the press releases don't relate to homes she's sold, but just where she's been quoted. Yeah, hire a PR person and you can get quoted. And her testimonials? Yeah, 2 total, one from the Cleveland Cavaliers. No actual buyers/sellers.

I only saw one-half of the preview and I want my 15 minutes back.....

Edited by mrs peel, Jul 31, 2008 @ 5:24 PM.

winniepooh77

winniepooh77

Just Tuned In

Posted Jul 31, 2008 @ 6:02 PM

not one of them ever stated their educational background? and don't get caught up in Lisa because I think that she was married to Keith Sweat and has 2 kids with him but i wonder why they did not show them. so that "money" that she is using to run her business, is from her previous cash cow.....

Marla Singer

Marla Singer

Fanatic

Posted Jul 31, 2008 @ 6:14 PM

To the people here who have seen past seasons...

Are all the women on the show usually so unlikeable?

mommyserenity

mommyserenity

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 31, 2008 @ 7:27 PM

Had to watch it since both hubby and I have grown up in the ATL area. (and by the way we live OTP and in no way prefer to live ITP) What a joke...it was almost embarrassing the way they just threw the money around. But, sadly a few of the ballers wives that had kids in my class in previous years were much the same.

Vetasimmons said it well about mistaking costly for classy.

ubiquitous

ubiquitous

Fanatic

Posted Jul 31, 2008 @ 7:49 PM

I caught the preview last night and took an instant dislike to them all, but not in the good "entertaining" way. I particularly disliked the (pardon the expression) cunt who was so gleeful about taking her husband to the cleaners so she could maintain (or improve upon) the lifestyle to which she had become accustomed. She's the one who hosted the party with the stripper poles in her basement, right? Excuse me, I need to calm myself down now...