The Real Housewives of Atlanta

• Please log in to reply

32278 replies to this topic

TWoP Howard

TWoP Howard

TWoP Moderator

Posted Mar 18, 2014 @ 2:49 PM

Please don't discuss NeNe's appearance on Dancing with the Stars here. It didn't happen on this show, so it's off-topic here. Dancing with the Stars has its own forum, so you can discuss her there. The DWTS forums are here, and NeNe has her own thread here. Thanks!

Edited by TWoP Howard, Mar 24, 2014 @ 2:34 AM.

torianne84

torianne84

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 9, 2008 @ 2:29 PM

Holla!!!

According to YBF:

Bravoís hit tv show (one of my faves) The Real Housewives is now hitting Atlanta. Previously they did 3 seasons of The Real Housewives of the OC and just showed the finale of The Real Housewives of New York Season 1. Not one black Housewife was ever featured on any of the 4 seasons total. But now, after rumors of this new season have been going around for a while, itís official that Bravo is bringing the show to Atlanta. And 4 out of the 5 Housewives are YBF chicks. Sources associated with the show have given YBF some exclusive inside info and pics of the cast. They just wrapped the season last week and a few of the Housewives were spotted at a private party for Ed Hartwell a few nights ago... The show has an early August premiere date. They actually pushed it up because of the demand. Canít wait!

I linked to pictures of the event with the cast.

justmeandmytv

justmeandmytv

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 9, 2008 @ 2:32 PM

Why do Bravo does the all white cast and the all black cast and one of the oc gals being part mexican does not counts, why dont they do two whita , two black and one latina ,asian or middle eastern woman

WitsNSass

WitsNSass

Fanatic

Posted Jun 9, 2008 @ 2:55 PM

I have to agree about the singular race casting for these shows. Many of these affluent pockets and enclaves, especially in newer big cities that have grown in the last 15 years or so are becoming more diverse. I'm glad to see some wealthy African Americans on TV - you know the Jack and Jill, Black Greek orgs and Links crowd who are not in sports or entertainment that many people outside the black community doesn't even know exists. I sometimes think most Americans think all of us live in the hood on welfare in the projects (not knocking that, but that monolith is not the sole black experience). But I used to live in Atlanta in the late 90s while attending GT. There are people in North Dekalb (N Druid Hills area), North Fulton (Alpharetta, Roswell, etc) and East Cobb counties who were white, black, latino, indian, east asian and middle eastern. I'm sure it's more diverse than when I left in 2000. Yes Atlanta has a large black population, but it's more diverse in the areas this show will likely target.

I'll probably check out this show just to see what it will be like.

Edited by WitsNSass, Jun 9, 2008 @ 2:56 PM.

brownSugar

brownSugar

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 9, 2008 @ 4:16 PM

So the pendulum just swings back the other way. Yuck.

I'm glad to see some wealthy African Americans on TV - you know the Jack and Jill, Black Greek orgs and Links crowd who are not in sports or entertainment that many people outside the black community doesn't even know exists.

But this doesn't seem to be it. The women on that website were all wives of NBA or NFL players. Could they not find black professionals to profile as well?

I doubt a show will ever focus on the Jack and Jill crowd - they don't do show like this.

WitsNSass

WitsNSass

Fanatic

Posted Jun 9, 2008 @ 5:45 PM

Thanks for the clarification brownSugar. Since they seem to be going to sports/entertainment route, count me out for this one!

Lawgirl77

Lawgirl77

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 11, 2008 @ 6:25 AM

But this doesn't seem to be it. The women on that website were all wives of NBA or NFL players. Could they not find black professionals to profile as well?

According to YBF, at least one of the housewives is a real estate developer and not married to an athlete (Nene Leakes). Also, there is another housewife named "Kim" who we don't have any info on.

Perhaps a couple of housewives will pop up who do not have an athletic connection? I would guess Bravo did use a lot of athlete housewives just to illustrate the point of how rich these families are. Possibly more wealthy then some of the families and/or women on the other Real Housewives programs.

AyeshaTheGreat

AyeshaTheGreat

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 11, 2008 @ 9:48 AM

Interesting and I will probably watch. But I think with any "reality" show, we have to remember who they are picking from. I think many that we may want to see do not want to be associated with such a show and thus you end of with a cast that is probably from the area but may not accurately represent the women of that area. I can no longer look at these shows expecting "reputable" people because then I am going to wonder why in the world would they subject themselves to such a show.

Edited by AyeshaTheGreat, Jun 11, 2008 @ 9:48 AM.

DiorGirl

DiorGirl

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 11, 2008 @ 10:32 AM

I think I'll be tuning in, at least for a few episodes. I fear that these women will not come off well at all, but then again, it wouldn't be good TV if they were all nice, smart and well-adjusted. I was annoyed with the baller connection as well, though. There are lots of wealthy black folks in this country who don't have a connection to the NBA/NFL. Le sigh.

Ayo

Ayo

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 11, 2008 @ 11:53 AM

I was looking forward to the New Jersey cast, but this is so much sweeter. This one is going to be good!

RealityJunkie99

RealityJunkie99

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 26, 2008 @ 1:05 PM

The full cast has been announced but why is Bravo burying the preview special by airing it at Midnight? Hardly prime time and I hope that doesn't say something about the quality of the show that they couldnt find a better time slot.

Real Housewives of Hotlanta

So two out of these five are single but at least both have kids so at least they're House Mom's if not House Wives!

ps I just googled Kim Zolciak and she only has 6 references; all coming from today's press release. So how does

A staple on the Atlanta scene, (who) balances life as a single mom with a vivacious social life.

not rate one internet reference????? :D

mommyserenity

mommyserenity

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 26, 2008 @ 2:59 PM

This I have to see since I grew up and live in northern Atlanta. Strangely, none of the areas they have noted are in the traditional "wealthy" neighborhoods in downtown/Buckhead..all in the northern end of the metro area and not considered areas where "old money" lives in Atlanta. One is a member of New Birth...that says a mouth full right there considering all the press surround the preacher lately!

icecreamlvr

icecreamlvr

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 27, 2008 @ 1:37 PM

... you know the Jack and Jill, Black Greek orgs and Links crowd who are not in sports or entertainment that many people outside the black community doesn't even know exists....

Just curious, what are Jack and Jill, Black Greek, and Links? As you can probably tell, I'm outside the black community and never heard of these?

BKs Nimo

BKs Nimo

Fanatic

Posted Jun 27, 2008 @ 3:24 PM

Just curious, what are Jack and Jill, Black Greek, and Links? As you can probably tell, I'm outside the black community and never heard of these?

Jack and Jill
Divine Nine - Black Greeks
...I'm not too sure about Links though. And I'm definitely surprised that J&J isn't featured heavily.

WitsNSass

WitsNSass

Fanatic

Posted Jun 28, 2008 @ 12:31 AM

...I'm not too sure about Links though. And I'm definitely surprised that J&J isn't featured heavily.

The Links, Inc

There you go!

JudyB355

JudyB355

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 28, 2008 @ 4:15 PM

In my community, you are a nobody unless you are in the above three mentioned groups. And I live in a city where there is a championship ball team. Any wife who comes here is ALWAYS involved in these groups even before she has come here. I'm really surprised.

paskel

paskel

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 28, 2008 @ 5:30 PM

LOL. this looks like a total joke!
will anybody even care about this group but a small % of the population?
they need the OC and NYC wives back more than they need new locales.

brownSugar

brownSugar

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 29, 2008 @ 1:34 AM

And I'm definitely surprised that J&J isn't featured heavily.

and

In my community, you are a nobody unless you are in the above three mentioned groups. And I live in a city where there is a championship ball team. Any wife who comes here is ALWAYS involved in these groups even before she has come here. I'm really surprised.

I wouldn't be. Those groups are the stomping grounds of very well educated blacks with professions. You have to be that to get in - in other words, $$$ isn't enough. Pedigree and education matter much more. The RHOA seem to be baller's wives and/or entrepreneurs, which isn't the same thing. I doubt you'll find any discussion about going to the Vineyard among this women. I could be wrong though...guess we'll have to wait and see.

duck soup

duck soup

Posted Jun 29, 2008 @ 2:27 PM

I'm glad they are shaking up the formula a little by adding a new locale and demogaphic cohort, but this doesn't really sound like a show about fabulous Atlanta housewives. Not one of them actually live in Atlanta. It's like having all the NY housewives living in Brooklyn instead of just Alex and Simon. I agree that Buckhead wives would have been much more interesting. Also, picking mostly sports and entertainment types makes it pretty generic to any large city. I hope the housewives prove us wrong by being sort of professional and grounded and not like the obnoxious sports/entertainment families you see on Cribs and My Super Sweet Sixteen.

richchick

richchick

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 29, 2008 @ 8:37 PM

This is so sad that all they have is entertainers/athletes wives and not business people (oh 1 woman) I guess that's all they think we can do. As a black woman myself, It would of been nice to have a mixture this time around not all white, black, asian. Ijust hope that they won't show the gold teeth, spinning hubcaps (whatever they are called) nonsense. Next time I hope bravo learns a lesson and find a mixture of wives after Atlanta.

Edited by TWoP Sun, Jul 5, 2008 @ 10:38 AM.
minor formatting

Vetasimmons

Vetasimmons

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 19, 2008 @ 1:41 PM

"The Real Housewives of Atlanta" follows five glamorous southern belles as they balance motherhood, demanding careers and a fast-paced social calendar, and shows what life is like in the most exclusive areas of Atlanta.

From Wikipedia:

A southern belle (derived from the French belle, 'beautiful') is an archetype for a young woman of the American Old South's antebellum upper class.

Who writes Bravo's dumb press releases?

None of the suburbs mentioned is anywhere near the hub of black political power and influence. They are certainly not the most "exclusive" Atlanta zip codes. They aren't even Atlanta, as others have pointed out. They are far away in Duluth, Alpharetta and Sandy Springs, which are separate cities. Sugarloaf is just a golf club subdivision in Duluth. I wouldn't say it's "exclusive." There are homes for sale starting at $128,000.

mommyserenity, I seriously doubt if any old money people in Buckhead would have let Bravo cameras anywhere near them. But, yeah, it might have been interesting from an anthropological standpoint. I have a feeling we're going to see more rich people shopping, partying and spoiling their kids.

mommyserenity

mommyserenity

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 19, 2008 @ 11:34 PM

Vetasimmons I have no doubt in my mind that no one in the "old money" groups would even consider letting Bravo film them. Part of the whole idea of having money in the south is not to openly discuss it. Being part of this show would be heavily frowned upon within the social circles of true southern belles.

sourcherry10

sourcherry10

Fanatic

Posted Jul 20, 2008 @ 11:48 AM

I'm so sick of all these RH shows.. but I'm sure I'll still watch. I love Atlanta, so it's going to be fun to see a city up there that I actually know, as opposed to Orange County and NYC.

MrsSea

MrsSea

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 21, 2008 @ 8:40 AM

They need to call it something else since all of these women are not really anyone's wife quite yet...it's sad when "scripted reality" telelvision imitates society in that the title of "wife" has lost it's meaning...

samschoicecola

samschoicecola

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 21, 2008 @ 12:01 PM

To mention a "Southern Belle" in Atlanta, without mentioning the Junior League?
I couldn't stand the last two groups, but I'll give this group a try. Oh, and still giggling over "exclusive" and Duluth.

Vetasimmons

Vetasimmons

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 21, 2008 @ 5:47 PM

That made me laugh, too! I hope someone in the cast will hop into her SUV and drive the 40 miles to town at some point during the show so the rest of the country can see something besides generic malls, chain restaurants and vast McMansions.

Part of the whole idea of having money in the south is not to openly discuss it. Being part of this show would be heavily frowned upon within the social circles of true southern belles.

That's true, openly flaunting money is tasteless, and Bravo reality stars have to be tasteless above all.

I'm wondering if this show turned out to be a disappointment. The preview is in several crappy timeslots, and the first real episode is not for weeks afterwards, which means lost momentum. They are not hyping it much on the Bravo website. Seems like they're trying to bury it.

Edited by Vetasimmons, Jul 21, 2008 @ 6:06 PM.

chafed

chafed

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 22, 2008 @ 4:28 PM

Actually the "exclusive" adjective was used for Sandy Springs - which is even more hilarious. Seriously?

And do people really still call it "Hotlanta". Ugh. Please tell them to stop.

Edited by chafed, Jul 22, 2008 @ 4:29 PM.

samschoicecola

samschoicecola

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 22, 2008 @ 5:18 PM

And do people really still call it "Hotlanta". Ugh. Please tell them to stop.

It's like the marketing department is stuck in 1984. What a stupid slogan that was.
I do like when my Grannie calls me her "Georgia Peach", I like that, but only when she says it.

cheeztoast

cheeztoast

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 24, 2008 @ 10:30 AM

I live in Atlanta and I'm sure this show is going to blow. The thing about the Real Housewives of O.C. and NY is that there is a known stereotype or mystique surrounding people who live in these very wealthy areas and who seem to have a lot of money. There isn't that much mystique about rich people here in Atlanta. They all have the same crappy taste in McMansions and giant SUVs. Even Buckhead, which is the most obviously wealthy part of the city of Atlanta, doesn't have that much mystique about it.

In response to the 'burbs of Alpharetta, etc, don't forget Bobby and Whitty lived up there. Still, not that interesting. And that's where most of the athletes and their wives live.

WitsNSass

WitsNSass

Fanatic

Posted Jul 24, 2008 @ 11:39 AM

You've pretty much nailed my thoughts verbatim, cheeztoast! Atlanta has plenty of character, but it doesn't lie within it's wealthy alone, who are pretty vanilla and generic in their trappings and tastes. It's just like every other wealthy enclave in America, at least it is visually speaking. What you see on Columns Drive or Riverside Drive looks pretty much the same as what's in any other gated community/subdivision in Buckhead, N Fulton, N Dekalb, East Cobb and Gwinnett county. I had a friend from Marietta who used to show me the different spots in metro Atlanta and Atlanta proper (city limits), and I'm telling you, I couldn't tell much of a difference from one v/s another. Even OC falls into this a little, but OC/SoCal have things that make them unique versus other parts of the country. NY has plenty of character, even the stereotypes vary from borough to borough, or even within the neighborhoods of a given borough.

I think this show could have been more interesting with non-entertainment/baller wives with a better mix of native ATLiens v/s transplants from other cities (particularly those not from the Southeast), different ethnicities, different backgrounds (those born into the Atlanta elite v/s those who worked their way up from the rougher parts of the city) and those who embrace v/s reject the Southern heritage of Atlanta (that whole New South thing). I think that would have made for good TV.

Edited by WitsNSass, Jul 24, 2008 @ 11:39 AM.

mommyserenity

mommyserenity

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 24, 2008 @ 9:59 PM

In response to the 'burbs of Alpharetta, etc, don't forget Bobby and Whitty lived up there. Still, not that interesting. And that's where most of the athletes and their wives live.

Very true. I used to teach school in Alpharetta and had more than a few kids in my class who had daddies in the NFL or who played baseball. Heck...we even had one who had a dad in a well know rock band that made their home in Atlanta. There are two private schools in Alpharetta that were started with money from Jeff Foxworthy and Tom Glavine. The trend, at least in the last few years, seems to be the athletes and entertainers moving north out of the city to be able to have more house for the money so to speak. The "old money" ladies do not equate these ballers wives as being on the same level...no matter their race. Old money in the south is Junior League, DAR, etc...So...to get a true picture of Housewives in Atlanta, Bravo has missed it all together.