Soap Dish: Behind the Scenes Drama

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

7387 replies to this topic

tam1MI

tam1MI

Fanatic

Posted Jun 9, 2008 @ 1:15 PM

I am a long time lurker, first time poster here but I just had to de-lurk and offer up for your delectation Jill Faren Phelps (current Executive Producer of GENERAL HOSPITAL, former Executive Producer of ONE LIFE TO LIVE, ANOTHER WORLD, and GUIDING LIGHT). She was infamous amongst soap opera fans for three things:

1. Killing off beloved core characters (GL fans who remembered how she killed off the beloved Maureen Bauer were not at all surprised that the Great Quartermaine Massacre occurred on her watch);

2. Systematically running off actors and replacing them with her loyalists (after she pulled this stunt numerous times on OLTL her minion actors acquired the moniker of "FOJs" - Friends Of Jill); and

3. Most notoriously, her penchant for insisting that her shows always build themselves completely around her Fuck-Toy-of-the-Moment (Kale Brown on OLTL being the most prominent example).

(There were also persistanet rumors that she ran actresses off her shows when they got pregnant and consistently granted priviliges to male actors that were not extended to their female counterparts. IIRC the late great Beverlee McKinsey had quite a few words to say about Ms. Phelps and her antics).

A real piece of work.

Edited by tam1MI, Jun 9, 2008 @ 1:16 PM.

denniel

denniel

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 9, 2008 @ 1:22 PM

Great thread...where to start.
These are the rumors I've heard.

Don Diamont and Gloria Loring had an affair when they were both on Days. He broke up her marriage to Alan Thicke.
Elieen Davidson and Vince Van Patton (her love interest on the show). She was married to Jon Lindstrom at the time.
Melissa Reeves (DOOL) was screwing around with her co-star when her husband (Scott Reeves of Y&R) walked in on them. He made her leave the show ASAP in order to save their marriage. DOOL sued her ass.
Sharon Case (Y&R) was having an affair with some married guy (not on the show). She would go out and be photographed with other men in order to hide the fact. Seems he was a married man with kids. They just got married last year.

DimSome

DimSome

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 9, 2008 @ 1:23 PM

I have no proof, but I've always suspected Susan Flannery(Stephanie, B&B) of being a lesbian. Am I wrong?

I've always assumed she was OUT. Am I wrong?

The old Datalounge soap threads contained pretty loud whispers around Deidre Hall (DAYS, Marlena Evans) and Jane Elliott (GH, Tracey). My brain nearly exploded in glee at the imagery.

We're getting into muddy territory here. What nube will sign in to defend their favorite soap star? Which one of us will be the first to be accused of defamation and SLANDER???!!! Heh.

ScarletPrincess

ScarletPrincess

Fanatic

Posted Jun 9, 2008 @ 1:32 PM

Melissa Reeves (DOOL) was screwing around with her co-star when her husband (Scott Reeves of Y&R) walked in on them. He made her leave the show ASAP in order to save their marriage. DOOL sued her ass.

I heard this as well. It was Jason Brooks, right?

As for Eric Braden, my brother PA'd on Y&R a gazillion years ago. He had to deliver something to EB's dressing room once and EB opened the door stark naked. They would send him because it used to upset to female PAs they had on the show.

WitsNSass

WitsNSass

Fanatic

Posted Jun 9, 2008 @ 1:40 PM

I've always assumed she was OUT. Am I wrong?

See, that's why I'm treading lightly. I've never heard SF refer to herself as an out-lesbian, so I'm not assuming. You know, don't wanna make an ass outta anyone :-P

Same goes from CLB (Michael, Y&R). Everyone says it's known he is gay but I've never heard of him publicizing it.

OK, why does the idea of CLB (Michael) and GR (Kevin) from Y&R making out turn me on? I'm a straight female, but cute guys kissing just does it for me!

Sensei

Sensei

Fanatic

Posted Jun 9, 2008 @ 1:47 PM

I remember that story with her having an affair with Jason Brooks. I can't say I blame her. He (JB)was a hottie and I could never seperate Scott Reeves with his character on Y&R who was also a bit of a dick. Recently, I saw MR & SR on the cover of some soap magazine with talking about their great marriage. Uh huh.

Edited by Sensei, Jun 9, 2008 @ 1:48 PM.

lizzbert

lizzbert

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 9, 2008 @ 1:52 PM

My favorite behind-the-scenes story was always the infamous Sarah Michelle Gellar-Susan Lucci feud on AMC. My friend's wife, who used to be in acting, claims that SL made SMG cry every day. She also claims to have seen the actors who play Robin and Patrick at a concert and that they're dating!

pegasus4266

pegasus4266

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 9, 2008 @ 1:57 PM

I've often heard Michelle Stafford's a devout Scientologist and a complete bitch.

Edited by pegasus4266, Jun 9, 2008 @ 1:58 PM.

WitsNSass

WitsNSass

Fanatic

Posted Jun 9, 2008 @ 2:00 PM

I don't know about the bitch part, but Michelle Stafford (Phyllis, Y&R) is a Scientologist. So is Sharon Case (Sharon, Y&R)

swtrgrl

swtrgrl

Stalker

Posted Jun 9, 2008 @ 2:05 PM

What? OMG, no!!!! Scientologists? Jeez.

dubbel zout

dubbel zout

Stalker

Posted Jun 9, 2008 @ 2:03 PM

EB opened the door stark naked. They would send him because it used to upset to female PAs they had on the show.

Ew. What a pig (EB, not your brother).

My favorite behind-the-scenes story was always the infamous Sarah Michelle Gellar-Susan Lucci feud on AMC. My friend's wife, who used to be in acting, claims that SL made SMG cry every day. She also claims to have seen the actors who play Robin and Patrick at a concert and that they're dating!

La Lucci was supposedly jealous of Kendall/Smidge's popularity, and made her life miserable.

As for Kimberly McCullough and Jason Thompson (Robin and Patrick), they've been together for a while. Are they still a couple?

Simbas Uncle

Simbas Uncle

Fanatic

Posted Jun 9, 2008 @ 2:10 PM

I'm the guy who recently brought the DePavia thing up on the OLTL thread. Braeden and Bergman did have a fistfight years ago over EB's complaints over a scene, because they appeared on a talk show later and made fun of it. Eileen Davidson was accussed of being a man in drag, which is hilarious considering that I've seen photos of her in swimsuits and surfer suits. Hunter Tylo had gone from claiming she was possessed when she had an affair with a non-soap co-star during her first break from B&B to suing Aaron Spelling over losing a Melrose Place role because she was pregnant (BTW: the role went to Lisa Rinna, who, you could guess it, became pregnant soon after. Also, show star Heather Locklear became pregnant in that time frame. I was on HT's side then). Along the way, she feuded with Ron Moss and Kimberlin Brown. Then came the tragedy of her daughter's eye cancer (Matt Ashford's second daughter suffered from the same condition). Then, Michael Tylo's walking away from the marriage without notice. Then, their son's death. While some of the things which happened are her fault, no one deserves having a 19-year-old son drown or a little girl lose an eye to cancer and so I'll leave it there
I had heard than Ingo was a father-to-be and Flannery does have a grown daughter (I believe she'd be the age Mike Horton should be on DOOL), which doesn't really change matters.

Darn

Darn

Stalker

Posted Jun 9, 2008 @ 2:09 PM

I think the SMG/SL feud was all SMG because she's managed to get quite the reputation in her what, 15 years of fame? While SL has gone almost 40 years with only this one thing against her name. And all of her co-stars, past and present, go on about how warm and welcoming she is to everyone.

Mnemosyne78

Mnemosyne78

Fanatic

Posted Jun 9, 2008 @ 2:14 PM

I don't know about the bitch part, but Michelle Stafford (Phyllis, Y&R) is a Scientologist. So is Sharon Case (Sharon, Y&R)

Le sigh. I know it's wrong to judge people, but there's just something about learning that someone is a Scientologist that just so lowers my opinion of them. I don't think I'll ever recover my Freash Prince love because of it.

casey22

casey22

Fanatic

Posted Jun 9, 2008 @ 2:20 PM

Maybe SMG was the only one willing to stand up to her? Being a teen at the time probably made the situation ten times worse. Miss thing didn't want someone half her age standing up to her. Speaking of costars not getting along. James Scott got fired from AMC because Thorston Kaye didn't want a grown son(way hotter and taller son) and he was jealous of him. He also wanted his storyline with Alicia.

Edited by casey22, Jun 9, 2008 @ 2:22 PM.

WitsNSass

WitsNSass

Fanatic

Posted Jun 9, 2008 @ 2:29 PM

This is more nice happy rainbow news: Melody Thomas Scott (Nikki) has said that Sharon Case (Sharon) is her closest friend on the Y&R set. That impressed me because on camera the hatred between Nikki and Sharon Newman has seemed so real you could almost taste it. Now that's good acting. Plus neither one of them really gets her props come DTEmmy nom time recently. MTS moreso than SC and she's been on Y&R for 30 yrs.

ETA: I've also heard some gossip that some Y&R cast members didn't care for MTS being the former EP's wife. More cast to crew relationships on Y&R - the woman who played Paul's secretary Lynne (forget the actress's name) is the daughter some (maybe former) production member of Y&R. And the woman who plays Gina was (maybe still is) married to Lynne's RL father. I just remember the guys last name was Birn.

Edited by WitsNSass, Jun 9, 2008 @ 2:33 PM.

Poke of Roanoke

Poke of Roanoke

Fanatic

Posted Jun 9, 2008 @ 2:29 PM

I think the SMG/SL feud was all SMG because she's managed to get quite the reputation in her what, 15 years of fame? While SL has gone almost 40 years with only this one thing against her name. And all of her co-stars, past and present, go on about how warm and welcoming she is to everyone.

From everything I've read and heard, SMG was borderline loathed by the time Buffy came to an end. One could argue the writing for the character in that final season even suffered from SMG-fatigue.

I would be happy to give her the credit for the feud with SL, but I've also wondered if all the "SL's so generous and kind" stuff is just from people who know what side their bread is buttered on. I mean, making an enemy of one of the biggest soap stars in the country seems like career suicide.

I could be wrong, of course. Just always wondered if there was more to SL's reputation than those rosy interviews with co-stars suggested.

Knots Landing

Knots Landing

Fanatic

Posted Jun 9, 2008 @ 2:40 PM

And the woman who plays Gina was (maybe still is) married to Lynne's RL father. I just remember the guys last name was Birn.

Jerry Birn is Patty Weaver's husband and currently writes for B&B. I never knew the actress who played Lynne was related to them. It's certainly possible though. Kay Alden's kids played teenage Heather Stevens and pre-teen Nick Newman. Of course Jack Smith's daughter played Devon and Lily's friend Sierra.

As for the Braeden/Bergman fist fight, I have a tabloid about that from around the time. Apparently, they shut down the Y&R set for a week to deal with the situation.

Mylittlelamb64

Mylittlelamb64

Fanatic

Posted Jun 9, 2008 @ 2:42 PM

Although Jack and Victor hate each other onscreen, I thought PB/EB patched things up after the infamous dressing room fight....I could swear that they are friends now.

Keep up the good gossip, folks! (Runs for more popcorn)

Bourgeois Nerd

Bourgeois Nerd

Stalker

Posted Jun 9, 2008 @ 2:54 PM

I also heard that Michael & Kevin from Y&R have been involved with each other.

Wait, don't they play brothers? Kinky! Not surprising, though; those two ping the old gaydar something fierce, as does that guy who plays Daniel (? I'm not really a Y&R watcher. Phyllis's older kid?).

Tuc Watkins is, like, officially out, isn't he? And Tony Geary openly lives with his lover in Amsterdam.

Has Duke (Ian Buchanan?) really been out all these years? I never heard that, and I follow both the soap and the gay scenes pretty closely. Not a surprise, of course...

Yes, apparently, he's been quite open for a long time.

Over on the OLTL board, everyone pretty much assumes that Rex (the actor, JPL, and the character) are gay.

It's really hard not to think that. I mean, the boy's flame is so high it's a wonder they don't use him to roast marshmellows.

loseresque

loseresque

Stalker

Posted Jun 9, 2008 @ 2:54 PM

So here's a question. I thought I read a long time ago that the reason Jason and Carly never really got together was because Steve Burton (aka Jason Morgan aka golden child of GH) didn't want to be paired romantically with Sarah Brown (aka Carly insertlastnamehere aka golden child 2). I may be misremembering but if this is true, did he dislike her or dislike the idea of the characters together? I thought it was the former but upon her return, he says so many great things about working with her and they work very well together.

The idea of J&C now sucks but back in its original incarnation, before S&C took over, I so badly wanted them to get it together one more time before he left, even for only one day (because their chemistry was so good).

Hatpin

Hatpin

Stalker

Posted Jun 9, 2008 @ 3:02 PM

The rumors about Steve Burton and Sarah Brown included his failed attempts to convert her from Judaism to Christianity, and that she was a smoker, which bugged him. In later years, he's said at least once that he doesn't think the characters work romantically together, and at this point I certainly agree with him.

apparently Lane Davies and Nancy Lee Grahn were not extremely fond of each other for a majority of their Santa Barbara run

First, they had a passionate affair. Then they broke up and did not get along at all. Then they became friends and gave a very funny joint interview about all that to SOD when he joined GH.

When SMG was on AMC, I was all set to believe La Lucci was the culprit. But it's sort of like Shannen Doherty - after a while, you have to assume the person in question is the problem. I think SMG is very talented, and I loved her on AMC and Buffy - but she seems to make enemies wherever she works for any length of time. It's too bad.

cameron04

cameron04

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 9, 2008 @ 3:04 PM

I never knew the actress who played Lynne was related to them.

Laura Bryan Birn (Lynne) is Jerry Birn's daughter.

TonyG

TonyG

Loyal Viewer

• Interests:Soaps, sci-fi, gay issues, Buffy & the Whedon-verse.

Posted Jun 9, 2008 @ 3:07 PM

I don't think any of these people are officially out, though, are they?

Seriously, if an actor is out, generally the gay press will be all over him. I mean, every time Chad Allen opens his mouth,it makes the gay papers, and he's sorta not even acting that much these days? So I guess, if these soap actors really are out, I'm surprised the gay press hasn't picked up on it.

Though I'm not convinced any of them are open. They may be privately open, and it may be "known in the industry," or even "known in the gay community," but it's not the same thing as being out.

I believe I googled "Ian Buchanan + gay" a year or so back and never found anything worth reporting - just mentions on other boards!

And Tuc Watkins, as recently as last fall, was saying, "I'm gay at night [on Desperate Housewives], straight during the daytime [on OLTL], and have no time ... blah blah blah." Not the words of an out man!?

Grinaldi

Grinaldi

Fanatic

Posted Jun 9, 2008 @ 3:12 PM

Reagrding the Lucci/Gellar situation, I have also heard that the issue had something to do with SMG's mom and her attitude toward Susan Lucci or the demands she made on behalf of her daughter. I tend to give Susan the benefit of the doubt in that situation because I really have never seen rumors of her conflicting with anyone else on the show over the years. I can't say the same for SMG (my partner will never forgive her for not doing the last season of Angel). Also, the Gellars had more to gain in stories about a feud than Lucci did. Still, I can't imagine Susan was particularly happy with that story in the first place (even though, as written, it meant Erica was like 29 years old in 1995). Ultimately, it pales in comparison to the unaborted fetus story and they "hey. let's rape the virginal lesbian for ratings" story because at least it paid off with Kendall, a rich character, but it was a pretty harsh retcon.

As to the who's gay and who's not stories, I've pretty much stopped caring. People are entitled to a private life. What ruffles me is rank hypocrisy. So, if someone wants to out Sen. Larry Craig - who regularly votes against equality - that's fine. But a soap actor who doesn't come out isn't a hypocrite, just a person. It's interesting, but it's not important.

My favorite story of backstage intrigue is still the time Tony Geary assaulted lousy Head Writer Richard Culliton (though he looks like Labine compared to Guza in retrospect). I'm not sure what the specifics on the story were that caused Tony to flip out, but even as a pacifist, I'm still on Tony's side. The stories back then sucked. (Twist of Fate primetime episode era - post Guza's first stint after Labine, before McTavish worked her special brand of unfrozen psychopath magic).

Mylittlelamb64

Mylittlelamb64

Fanatic

Posted Jun 9, 2008 @ 3:11 PM

The boy's flame is so high it's a wonder they don't use him to roast marshmellows.

(Ki-ki laughing)....Excellent!

WitsNSass

WitsNSass

Fanatic

Posted Jun 9, 2008 @ 3:15 PM

Thanks Knots Landing and cameron04 for providing names! I was having some serious brain cramps going on there :-)

Is there any dirt on actors/actress with bad breath or BO? For some reason Eric Braeden just seems like the type to have funky breath. Maybe it's all that chewing and talking with his mouth full - I just assume he has poor dental hygiene for some reason.

I remember this back when I "were but a wee lass": I can recall soap stars kissing with tongue in the 80s until some actor from AW was diagnosed with AIDS. Again, names escape me, but I think he was connected with a Pauline or Paulina - I was a kid listening in while me ma and paw were watching recording after dinner. Was this just a rumor, or is this true?

denniel

denniel

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 9, 2008 @ 3:15 PM

I think kissing a smoker would suck. Man, not enough breath mints in the world, you know?

Knots Landing

Knots Landing

Fanatic

Posted Jun 9, 2008 @ 3:20 PM

WitsNSass, that actor is Dack Rambo. He claims in his autobiography that Larry Hagman had him fired from Dallas when he found out he was gay. Hagman denied this a couple years back in an interview for Ultimate Dallas. Rambo then went onto Another World where he played Grant Harrison (IIRC, I never watched).

WitsNSass

WitsNSass

Fanatic

Posted Jun 9, 2008 @ 3:27 PM

Knots Landing, you rock! Thanks again. Yep, he was the original Grant Harrison.