Total Drama Island

• Please log in to reply

1125 replies to this topic

Aunty Mib

Aunty Mib

Fanatic

Posted Jun 8, 2008 @ 12:24 PM

I've done the search and couldn't find a mention much less a thread for Total Drama Island.

I've just heard that they are going ahead with making the second season called Total Drama Action. No word yet on whether any of the characters from the first season will be returning although several of the voice actors will be.

ciscokidinsf

ciscokidinsf

Fanatic

Posted Jun 8, 2008 @ 11:03 PM

The animation makes me miss 'Clone High' ever so much. They are in Hardcore Ontario, Wawanawacka! They got every cliche'd character from 10 years worth of MTV's 'The Real World'

Too many people to keep track of. At least in this episode.

Edited by ciscokidinsf, Jun 8, 2008 @ 11:09 PM.

Taeolas

Taeolas

Fanatic

Posted Jun 11, 2008 @ 2:13 PM

I enjoyed it, though I missed a few eps here and there (And I miss Clone High too. :( ).

They certainly did hit just about every Reality Cliche in the book, and a few more to boot. I loved towards the end when we saw the Expelled campers In the Loser's Resort and they 'voted' who to leave next. :)

ciscokidinsf

ciscokidinsf

Fanatic

Posted Jun 15, 2008 @ 2:28 PM

Second episode was funny... but we didn't see any hot-tub high-jinks after the first challenge, so I guess they will keep the show PG rated. Predictably, One team is awesome while the other one sucks.

What is disgusting, the 'confessional booth' is the camp's outhouse!! Are they taking a dump while they talk to the cameras?!?

Pseudowolf

Pseudowolf

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 15, 2008 @ 4:00 PM

I saw the first 2 eps and I really liked them. This show is a spot-on parody of Survivor with a few other reality shows mixed in. The host is a dead match for Probst, from admonishing one of the teams for taking so long to carry crates back to camp while he zips around in his ATV to seriously intoning that "marshmellows are life". If they can keep this up, this could turn out to be a pretty good show.

ciscokidinsf

ciscokidinsf

Fanatic

Posted Jul 2, 2008 @ 6:08 PM

The dodgeball episode left me cold. It's like they are not even trying. Or they are getting the content to be 100% below PG-13.

Where are the hot tubs people????

Dbrain2004

Dbrain2004

Fanatic

Posted Jul 3, 2008 @ 10:17 PM

Well, the 'Survivor' parody trucks right along.

Heather, the uber-bitch, is running things pretty damn well in the Screaming Gophers right now, to the point where she openly reads Gwen's diary, exposing her crush on Trent, the guitar player, in front of everyone and STILL survives the vote against Justin, the show's male hottie, whose sexiness apparently knows no gender lines (just ask Owen, the fat guy, who outright admitted he would kiss him). Right now, Heather's alliance with Lindsay, Beth (her prime minions), Izzy (the resident crazy lady) and Owen seems unstoppable, barring a team switch, a merge, or Lindsay finding the ovaries to walk out on Heather for her mega crush, Tyler.

Harold (the show's geek), for the second episode in a row, has been the hero for the Killer Bass team, winning both the Dodgeball mission and the Talent Show. (BTW, the animation for the beatboxing he did cracked me the hell up.) The way things are going for him, he just might have an outside shot at winning this thing.

Aunty Mib

Aunty Mib

Fanatic

Posted Jul 4, 2008 @ 11:36 AM

Having watched the entire show in its first run I have to be careful to reset my brain to avoid giving spoilers.

I agreed with getting rid of Justin early. He seemed to be the most passive of all of the characters.

If you have the chance check out the website for the show. You learn a lot more about the character's motivations. I don't think that it's a spoiler BUT Justin Case....

Not every character is on the show to win the contest. Cody is on the show for the opportunity to hang with the cool kids. Duncan thinks it's better than Juvie. Ruthie wants to make friends.

Dbrain2004

Dbrain2004

Fanatic

Posted Jul 4, 2008 @ 1:06 PM

Aunty Mib, I did decide to check out the show on a whim, and I feel that some of the biographies has details that seem like they will DEFINITELY come into play.

For example, Heather's whole thing about her evil younger brother Damien, and the fact that she used to be an Ugly Betty before her giant transformation is just SCREAMING for a special 'family visit' episode where all her mess is exposed. Bonus points if Gwen teams up with Damien in any way.

Pseudowolf

Pseudowolf

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 5, 2008 @ 2:28 AM

Dbrain2004
(BTW, the animation for the beatboxing he did cracked me the hell up.)

You may already know this, but Harold's beatbox was likely a tribute to the YouTube video by Lasse Gjertsen, "Hyperactive".

(And if you like that, he also does a bit in the same style with a drumset and a piano, made more interesting by the fact that he can't actually play either of them, titled "Amateur".)

(edited because I can't spell "amateur" correctly at 3:30AM)

Edited by Pseudowolf, Jul 5, 2008 @ 2:32 AM.

El Guapo

El Guapo

Fanatic

Posted Jul 7, 2008 @ 6:34 PM

I have to say I'm really enjoying this show. It's like Survivor methadone while the real thing is off the air. The animated competition reality show (as opposed to the animated bunch-of-crazies-in-a-box reality show a la Drawn Together) is a great concept, and I'm surprised it hasn't been thought of before.

They've done a beautiful job of embodying the various contestant archetypes, and the "challenges," especially the Awakeathon, are well thought out and frequently hilarious (particularly liked Justin painting his eyelids open). Also, host Chris's pure assy Probstiness is so spot on, I keep expecting him to bust out with a "You wanna know what you're playing for?"

I find myself looking forward to Thursday nights again. I feel silly for asking, but one question as to animated strategy: Why would Heather, who currently has all the power, vote out an innocuous Justin (Owen's man-crush on him notwithstanding) instead of her sworn enemy (and major threat) Gwen, when she had the chance? Well, other than that (pure speculation) they're setting up a big ol' Total Dramatic Heather/Gwen confrontation at around Final 4.

Aunty Mib

Aunty Mib

Fanatic

Posted Jul 7, 2008 @ 10:21 PM

One thing I like about the show are all the Canadian in-jokes. During the Awakeathon the dullest thing that they could think up was a reading on Canadian history. Starting with 'our friend the beaver'. (No, it isn't dirty.)

Dbrain2004

Dbrain2004

Fanatic

Posted Jul 8, 2008 @ 10:16 PM

I feel silly for asking, but one question as to animated strategy: Why would Heather, who currently has all the power, vote out an innocuous Justin (Owen's man-crush on him notwithstanding) instead of her sworn enemy (and major threat) Gwen, when she had the chance?

This might be a bit of a stretch, but I'll try to make this fit.

It all boils down to where Justin stood with alliances. Heather had her alliance with Lindsay and Beth. Gwen and Trent are together, and I'm pretty sure they have Rashawna in, as well. That leaves Owen, Izzy and Justin as wildcard votes.

Now, Justin's hotness could very likely get him alliance members in an instant, especially in the early part of the game. (Really, if he had asked while having his shirt off, Owen would have jumped at the opportunity.) With him not committing to a side, and the potential for all that political power within him, Heather saw how dangerous he could be down the line, much more than Gwen, who Heather knew exactly where the two of them stood in regards to each other, and would probably have a harder time pulling alliance members of her own away from Heather.

(For example, had Gwen been voted out and Justin stayed, Trent and Rashawna could have picked him up. Justin would have gotten Owen on request. Suddenly, it's a 4-4 tie, with Heather's alliance relying on the vote of a VERY unstable Izzy in order to have a chance of surviving. As it stands now, Heather can afford to cut Izzy, and throw her attentions to working HARD on Owen to prevent Gwen from taking him away.)

Add this all in to one simple fact: Justin, Trent and Heather competed in the talent show. Trent's song was a hit, and it would have been too difficult for Heather to get the votes against someone who didn't even compete in the show - it would have been unfair, even for her. So, Heather saw the chance to vote him out while he could be used as a scapegoat, and seized the opportunity.

Long story short: Justin would have been a real (hot) thorn in Heather's side down the line, and needed to go before his hotness could be used against her. When he provided an excuse to do so, flimsy as it was, Heather took it.

...And I just spent WAY too much talking about an animated competitive reality show.

Little Mac2

Little Mac2

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 9, 2008 @ 10:53 AM

Yes, talk about my main guilty cartoon pleasure this summer. It was awesome plotted and designed except for the totally bogus Shawna elimination and I never saw the winner coming.

One thing, though: El Guapo wrote

Well, other than that (pure speculation) they're setting up a big ol' Total Dramatic Heather/Gwen confrontation at around Final 4.

*grins* It's not quite Final 4. However, the confrontation does happen and it ISN'T for the the faint of heart (or viewing). The Final 3 episode is one of the ALL-TIME classics out there. And does Heather get hers.....OH, does Heather gets her.

Taeolas

Taeolas

Fanatic

Posted Jul 9, 2008 @ 1:04 PM

Spoilering it just in case, since this is mentioning some of the last eps but not going into details.... I think it was the final 3 ep that had some of the absolute, positively GROSSEST things I've ever seen on TV, animated or otherwise. It damn near made me hurl every time I saw it, and I watched that ep 3-4 times. The weird thing was, visually it wasn't all that gross, but the implications/dialogue about what was 'really' going on was enough for my imagination to fill in the blanks.

reinoe

reinoe

Fanatic

Posted Jul 9, 2008 @ 1:29 PM

I like the concept of the show a whole lot. What I don't like is how obvious it is that some of the contestants are going to go very far in the competition. Example-All of the characters who get "talking heads".

Taeolas

Taeolas

Fanatic

Posted Jul 9, 2008 @ 1:30 PM

True, but that's a "Survivor" type show staple too. After the first few eps of a new season of an elimination style show, people have usually pretty much pegged who lasts and who gets the early boots.

lrdmordain

lrdmordain

Fanatic

Posted Jul 9, 2008 @ 2:49 PM

I love just how spot on it all is in regards to being an actual parody, right down to the host trying and failing to sound cool.

I'm waiting for the episode where satie or katie gets eliminated and the other one quits just so they arn't apart.

Also, oddly, for a show whose entire first season has already aired in Canada, none of the normal err...sharing groups have the whole season, just the already aired american episodes.

Aunty Mib

Aunty Mib

Fanatic

Posted Jul 9, 2008 @ 7:48 PM

I tend not to see Canadian shows on any of the 'sharing groups'.

I don't think I need to spoiler the warning not to make assumptions about this show. It has more twists than the so-called "Real" shows.

I waiting impatiently for the sequel.

ciscokidinsf

ciscokidinsf

Fanatic

Posted Jul 11, 2008 @ 12:04 PM

I'm waiting for the episode where satie or katie gets eliminated and the other one quits just so they arn't apart.

You got it. Though Katie does stay. Also, I wasn't paying enough attention, I thought they were twins all this time. And one had gotten all big. I thought that Izzie would be kicked out because of the bear incident. And am I nuts when I think Izzie and Owen could hook up?

Dbrain2004

Dbrain2004

Fanatic

Posted Jul 11, 2008 @ 2:26 PM

You got it. Though Katie does stay.

I thought it was Sadie that stayed. Sadie's the big one, right?

Bridget better thank her lucky stars that those two gotten lost, or otherwise it would have been all her for accidently burning down the tent. This, combined with the near-miss at the talent show, makes me think her days are numbered.

And am I nuts when I think Izzie and Owen could hook up?

Frankly, the thought of Owen hooking up with ANYONE makes me shudder.

Aunty Mib

Aunty Mib

Fanatic

Posted Jul 11, 2008 @ 4:45 PM

Also, I wasn't paying enough attention, I thought they were twins all this time.

Given that one is Chinese and the other one is black....

What I found to be a pleasant surprise with this show was that the characters were so fleshed-out and come across as being human being rather than just stereotypes. Unlike most of the characters in the "Real" Reality shows.

lrdmordain

lrdmordain

Fanatic

Posted Jul 11, 2008 @ 6:04 PM

It was Sadie who stayed, who I didn't know was Chinese, I just thought she had a wide face.

I wonder how they chose which one to get rid of because frankly I thought Katie was the slightly cuter of the two and given her leaner build you think they would have kept her around for the athletic competitions.

ETA: Well you were correct Aunty Mib. I should not make assumptions about what will happen. I would never have seen Katie telling Sadie to stay coming. I was sure if one went the other would.

Edited by lrdmordain, Jul 12, 2008 @ 9:50 AM.

Aunty Mib

Aunty Mib

Fanatic

Posted Jul 12, 2008 @ 1:21 PM

OK. The given motivations of the people voted off by episode 6.

Ezekiel- Dont' know much about him other than he was home-schooled on a farm and has some pretty offensive ideas about women.

Eva- wanted to learn how to control her temper. Failed very badly.

Noah- wanted to win to prove his mental superiority. Turned out to be lazy, manipulative and insulting. (Also a bit in denial considering the cuddle/kiss with Cody)

Justin- wanted to raise money for the Unattractive People's Wish Foundation. Didn't do all that much than stand around.

Katie- wanted to spend the summer together with her Best=Friend=for=Life. Had a big arguement and got separated.

Have they stated the motivations for the others yet? Anyone care to hazard a guess?

mjamief

mjamief

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 14, 2008 @ 1:41 PM

I like this show too and I've been watching it on Teletoon in Canada.

Unfortunately,they went from voting off Owen's coconut to the final two and skipped the episodes where Duncan and Heather were voted off. Grrrrrrrrr! That bugs me. I wish they would show them in order!

Dbrain2004

Dbrain2004

Fanatic

Posted Jul 20, 2008 @ 9:59 AM

OK - so this time, all the kids had to deal with their worst fears, which ranged from the relatively normal (Owen/Izzy with flying, D.J. with snakes, Gwen with being buried alive) to the silly (Trent with mimes, Jeff with hail).

Courtney, after both helping Duncan get over his fear of Celine Dion cardboard cut outs, and berating the rest of her team over their respective fears, completely chokes when she's faced with her worst fear (green jelly). Even after being offered the deal of triple points for her team, and thereby giving the team the win, she freaks out and opts not to do it, costing her team their FOURTH challenge.

Even with it all, she somehow gets the last marshmallow, and Tyler, with his fear of chickens (seriously!) is voted off.

Aunty Mib

Aunty Mib

Fanatic

Posted Jul 20, 2008 @ 3:39 PM

I think you've put your finger on why. Even though she screwed up on her own challenge she was still functional at helping other members of her team with their challenges. Tyler wasn't useful for anything.

Very, very, very Canadian to consider co-operative skills as being more useful than competitive skills.

Klutzygirl

Klutzygirl

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 21, 2008 @ 8:19 AM

There was nothing on on Saturday, so I decided to check it out and I love it. This show is pretty good. I love waiting to see who gets voted off.

I love all of the characters. But the dodgeball game confused me. If you hit someone in the face, the person who hit it is out. That's not what happened in their games.

I'm going to start watching now because I like it.

Taeolas

Taeolas

Fanatic

Posted Jul 21, 2008 @ 9:57 AM

Well, it becomes even clearer later on, but the rules boil down to whatever Chris (and Chef) feel make for the best TV. They are good at performing lipservice to the basic rules, but really, it's Chris who says what goes. (Something they outright SAY in some of the later eps. ) For the Campers, it means that the games are really just one giant Reality Game version of Mao.

Dbrain2004

Dbrain2004

Fanatic

Posted Jul 25, 2008 @ 10:09 AM

OK, so this week, the challenge was a big canoe race to and from back an island. Once teams landed on the island, they had to bring their canoes to the other side through a dangerous forest (filled with giant vultures and meat-eating beavers) and send a fire signal strong enough for Chris to see up from above in a helicopter before they were allowed to paddle back to camp. The island was haunted, but unfortunately for Beth, she just happened to miss the memo and ended up picking up a idol from said island. It didn't come into play then, but the show lets you know it DEFINITELY will in later episodes.

While making the fire signals, in a desperate attempt to find more wood to burn, Harold ended up throwing his team's oars in the fire, seemingly leaving the Killer Bass with no way to make their way back to camp. But Izzy, who has been telling stories about herself that sound more and more outlandish by the minute, mentions the idea that the team could use someone to push the canoes of the team while they swim. D.J., who confessed to being afraid of water at the beginning of the episode due to a diving incident you have to hear to believe, was the only one strong enough to even attempt this feat, ended up pushing all three canoes and his entire team across the finish line and single-handedly win the challenge for the Killer Bass.

Izzy, whose advice ultimately lost the challenge for the Screaming Gophers, looked to be the clear target at the campfire ceremony. IT was down to Izzy vs. Lindsay for the last marshmallow, when...

(and I swear to God, I am not making the following up at all...)

...a helicopter from the RCMP (Royal Canadian Mounted Police) showed up, flashed a spotlight on Izzy and was going for her arrest. Izzy confessed that everything she said except for the time she spent training with the RCMP was a lie, and she ran off shrieking into the night, the helicopter in hot pursuit. The expressions on everyone's faces ALONE made the episode.

In side storylines, Cody was the heavy focus of the episode. After ended up making his big move on Gwen (with embarrassing and PAINFUL results), he decided to help hook her up with Trent (mainly because of a bet he had going with Owen that he could get Gwen's bra). He became a hero after saving Trent and Lindsay from some producer-planted quicksand, arranged for Gwen/Trent to share a canoe together, and ended up winning the bet in the process.

Next week: Paintball! At least three guys (Cody, Duncan, Owen) get their balls racked.