S4 - Susie Garcia: Hot (Pink) Tamale

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

120 replies to this topic

shimi

shimi

Fanatic

Posted Jun 6, 2008 @ 11:31 AM

I wanted to show Susie some love and get her thread started. She's got the technique, she's got the flair and she going to bring the ( Miami) heat.....

Her bio below:
Susie Garcia (25) is a Latin/Salsa dancer born in Miami, FL. Garcia graduated with a B.F.A. from New World School of the Arts. She is a high school teacher who previously was a dancer with the Miami Heat for six years. Garcia has performed at the Billboard Latin Music Awards and Latin Grammy Awards, and danced on Shakira’s “Oral Fixation World Tour.”

MasterClass

MasterClass

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 6, 2008 @ 12:29 PM

I'm excited to see more of Susie. I was totally turned off by her appearance at first but I think there's more than meets the eye. She has an impressive resume and I can't help but root for a hometown girl. I'm not biased at all... I'm not a Miami Heat fan or anything ;)

c vulgaris

c vulgaris

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 6, 2008 @ 12:37 PM

You know-- I'm rooting for Susie Garcia. At least for now.

Good for her for being able to balance her teaching and dance careers. And good for her for owning her sexuality when (by many accounts, apparently) teachers are 'supposed' to remain asexual and disembodied. Over on the Fox SYTYCD boards, a handful of her students are rooting for her and saying how inspirational she is for them.

Edited by c vulgaris, Jun 6, 2008 @ 12:39 PM.

EagerContrarian

EagerContrarian

Fanatic

• Interests:Performing Arts, Politics

Posted Jun 6, 2008 @ 12:38 PM

I think I might end up liking her. It's her hair color that sends me over the edge the most.

We don't know what she teaches, but with a BFA I'm thinking it's something artsy, which gives some leeway for her *style*.

She's the epitome of a Miami Girl. Loud and proud.

Dream Boy

Dream Boy

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 6, 2008 @ 1:30 PM

I'm liking her too. Wasn't impressed by her initial solo until I re-watched it on Youtube. I also thought she did really well during the portions of the show, where she did choreography. She and Comfort seem to be the most interesting of the girls. So, yeah, go Susie!

GoMavs41

GoMavs41

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 6, 2008 @ 1:35 PM

Susie is a hot tranny mess, but she's a fierce hot tranny mess, and I think she'll do well.

cresyd

cresyd

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 6, 2008 @ 1:37 PM

While Susie clearly chose to dress like that to her auditions, between the Miami Heat and the Shakira tour - one would expect she'd be able to learn new choreography fairly well. But she just gets the edit as a high school teacher. I was kinda surprised at first by her, but her resume speaks better than for someone like Kherington.

MasterClass

MasterClass

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 6, 2008 @ 1:50 PM

I'm assuming she majored in dance at NWSA, but there are also theater, visual arts and music degrees offered.

New World School of the Arts offers a comprehensive B.F.A degree dance program essential for today’s professional dancer. We are conservatory-based, grounded in classical ballet and modern dance technique leading exposure to newer and World dance forms.

So she has potential to excel in Latin, hip hop AND contemporary. I wish we'd seen more of her in Vegas.

Anyone find out where/what she teaches?

JoannaOC

JoannaOC

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 6, 2008 @ 1:54 PM

Right on, shimi! I can't wait to see what Susie brings from Miami and her experience with the Shakira tour. She has a strong background.

Cherry Wire

Cherry Wire

Fanatic

Posted Jun 6, 2008 @ 1:54 PM

I can see Susie doing well too. This isn't Project Runway, after all, so her fashion sense only matters so much. I thought her audition was good and can picture her getting paired with one of those straight-laced contemporary boys in a classic "odd-couple" matchup that turns out to surprise everybody.

She was on Shakira's tour? Was that in case they lost Shakira, they'd have a spare?

dcalley

dcalley

Fanatic

Posted Jun 6, 2008 @ 2:23 PM

I was surprised she made it. It's going to be interesting to see what happens. Someone on IDF found these videos of her:
Lyrical jazz class and this one, which is from May 19 (after she knew her top-20 status, I believe).

onnntheradio

onnntheradio

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 6, 2008 @ 5:30 PM

I hope Susie can turn out some fierce partnering skills, since Top 20--S4 is severely lacking good ballroom/latin partners.

Also, on a more shallow note, I can't decide if she is a total tranny, or if she is actually kinda hot. I like the Shakira vibe, I must admit.

monkeyinchaps

monkeyinchaps

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 6, 2008 @ 5:46 PM

I love her, down to the two-tone hair. More Shakira is never a bad thing.

bookstore

bookstore

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 6, 2008 @ 6:47 PM

I only noticed her damn orange leather skin last night. Girl has got to watch it. Maybe she'll kill it though.

shimi

shimi

Fanatic

Posted Jun 6, 2008 @ 6:52 PM

She seems to hold her own in those clips. Not sure how technically strong she is stacked against some of the other dancers.. still I'm hoping she'll prove her haters wrong and NOT be the obligatory canon fodder.

I like the hair just fine, actually, although I would tone down the eye make-up. I wonder if Shakira wanted all her tour dancers to have that hair, because it reminds me a lot of some of Shakira's looks. Maybe a Miami thing again? Some of the comments directed at Susie's looks ring a little hyperbolic to me, though... she's not that ho-ish or skanky. She was more covered up than some of the contemporary girls in their tiny tops and shorts.

Again, I have to go back to how authentic her look is to where she is from. And compared to some of the chicas I saw strolling down Lincoln Ave., Susie's pretty pulled together. I have to ask if the leotard with side cut-outs and baggy pants is a new "in" look in dance studios, because one of the other dancers was rocking a similiar look in the Top 20 photos. One or the other is OK, the combination doesn't work for me. I sincerely hope that doesn't show up on her in a solo.

Edited by shimi, Jun 6, 2008 @ 6:52 PM.

askew

askew

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 6, 2008 @ 10:58 PM

I am rooting for Susie. I feel like she is going to the surprise of the show.

Although adding Shakira's tour to her resume is pretty sad IMO, since Shakira only had back-up dancers for maybe 3 minutes of the Hips Don't Lie portion of the show. The rest of the show featured Shakira solo.

Zuleikha

Zuleikha

Fanatic

Posted Jun 6, 2008 @ 11:24 PM

So in the space of a day, I've fully converted to the Susie love train. According to her bio, her original training was in flamenco. She may be the cross-trained ethnic dancer I've been waiting for! At this point, she's pretty well-rounded--lists training in flamenco, hip hop, ballet, modern, and Afro-Caribbean and then identifies herself as a Latin/Salsa dancer. If she does a flamenco solo on the show, I will love her forever.

winterbirds

winterbirds

Fanatic

Posted Jun 6, 2008 @ 11:47 PM

I really didn't like her audition, but discovering her training information has left me feeling very curious, indeed! I would love to see flamenco on the show. I think her look will be polarising, regardless of how good or bad she dances.

shimi

shimi

Fanatic

Posted Jun 7, 2008 @ 12:30 AM

I don't know about that, although I guess Snow had that same effect on many people on Season One. Her official pic already has the eye make-up cleaned up which made a huge difference. Her hair is unique, and won't really bother the younger voting crowd. I don't think her "look" will be an issue if she's not styling herself and I will find it rather sad if she is voted off because of her hairstyle. The rest of her look will resonate with a lot of people, regionally and culturally, I'm betting, especially if she gets a little help editing down a touch.

It would be great to see her do flamenco, especially if she's decent at it. I wonder if she'd do straight-up flamenco or do a club kind of fusion.

winterbirds

winterbirds

Fanatic

Posted Jun 7, 2008 @ 1:12 AM

I think it would be sad if she was voted off because of anything to do with her style, too, but it seems that in a lot of places online, people are already judging her dancing skills based purely on her clothing choices. That's kind of what I meant by polarising, in my own foolish inarticulate way. I read a particularly vitriolic comment on an article the other day that said that "Susie isn't a dancer, she doesn't dress like a real dancer", which I thought was crap -- surely a "real" dancer just wears whatever they are comfortable dancing in?!

princessu

princessu

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 7, 2008 @ 1:30 AM

Add me to the Susie love train. I missed yesterday's show, but I just watched it on youtube. Her audition was very meh, but I love her personality. After reading her bio, I'm willing to give her a chance. Plus, I've already seen tremendous backlash against her based on her clothing and the way she looks. That makes me want to root for her even more. I saw the comments on IDF and the folks over there hate her. I don't expect any tweeny votes for Susie so I hope she comes out with an amazing dance.

I'm trying to figure out why so many people are blaming her for Kelli Baker's elimination. If anyone took Kelli's spot, it's one of the contemporary dancers, particularly Kherington. Susie seems like an easy target for people to talk shit about.

Edited by princessu, Jun 7, 2008 @ 1:35 AM.

Zuleikha

Zuleikha

Fanatic

Posted Jun 7, 2008 @ 2:52 AM

Yeah, I think the judges were probably deciding among Aliona, Susie, and Janette for the spot that Susie eventually got. People are silly. I think part of the dislike for her comes from the whole way she was presented in the audition episode, though, and not just her look/clothes. I'm not sure if her "I'm a teacher, can you believe it?" was supposed to be "because I'm so hot!" or "because I'm so young looking" but Cat and the show went with the former. It made Susie look bad, especially in combination with a lackluster audition. But the right partnership and dance can overcome all that, IMHO. I don't think she'll get the tween vote no matter what, though, because she's too old.

shimi

shimi

Fanatic

Posted Jun 7, 2008 @ 8:41 AM

Yeah. I don't want to harp on it too much and add fuel to the fire, but I guess it just bothers me more than I realised that the content of her character may get linked to her fashion sense. True, the show could have chosen to focus on the fact that she was a Miami Heat dancer, but the high school teacher/dancer divide was clearly the more delicious edit. You know, if I recall correctly, when Cat asked her "How do the boys handle it?", I thought she actually side-stepped neatly by saying that she is often mistaken for a student. That was a nice way of getting out of the trap the show tried to lay for her in hoping she'd probably say that her students lusted after her, etc. That doesn't mean that assumptions and projections haven't been made, but she didn't add to it, IMO.

She does seem nice enough as a person; not at all like Jessi ( who she's being compared to a little bit). Maybe when the show starts we'll see something else, but I didn't even see bimbo-ness from her reactions to the judges ( no talking back or defensiveness) or in how she worked with other dancers. She seemed all-pro which made me respect her much more when I re-watched her episodes.

You dress to stand out and to represent your dance style ( and maybe your city) when you audition for a dance gig, not your day job. In any case, I think a lot will depend on the first dance she draws. I think if she draws Latin or Hip-Hop she may well kill it, but will be written off nonetheless as doing her "typical" schtick. Which would suck. It may be better for her to get something like Contemporary if she can surprise the judges and audience with what she can do, a la Lacey's first dance. Of course, the risk is that she will not be as good, which will justify sending her home post-haste.

Looks like she can't win either way, huh. Hope she has a fierce DoD ready, and a smart costume choice.

Edited by shimi, Jun 7, 2008 @ 12:00 PM.

onnntheradio

onnntheradio

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 7, 2008 @ 10:53 AM

If anyone took Kelli's spot, it's one of the contemporary dancers, particularly Kherington.

I know! Personally, I was extremely sad [and confused that] Kelli didn't make it, but the first thing I thought was, "Damn, she should've made it instead of Kherington." Susie is a totally different genre and is one of the only TWO ballroom/latin female dancers this season; they would NOT have substituted her for another contemporary dancer, i.e. Kelli Baker.

Jamie81

Jamie81

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 7, 2008 @ 3:22 PM

"How do the boys handle it?", I thought she actually side-stepped neatly by saying that she is often mistaken for a student. That was a nice way of getting out of the trap the show tried to lay for her in hoping she'd probably say that her students lusted after her, etc.

Very good point indeed.

I swear every teacher under 40 gets mistaken for a student at some point, unless you have like a totally receding hairline or a floor-length beard. I really don't think Susie looks younger than she is at all.

The more I hear about her training, the more I want to give her a shot. First impressions are a bitch.

SleepyJean

SleepyJean

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 7, 2008 @ 5:12 PM

You dress to stand out and to represent your dance style ( and maybe your city) when you audition for a dance gig, not your day job.

I agree. And maybe I imagined it, but I thought when they were doing the couples dance, I saw susie wearing a long flowy pale plue outfit. I think she dresses to fit the circumstances. Besides, the couples get dressed by the stylists, so as long as she manages to escape the bottom slot each week, we won't be seeing much of her personal style anyway. I doubt she goes to rehearsal a shakira'd out.

Ninja Bunny

Ninja Bunny

Fanatic

Posted Jun 7, 2008 @ 10:04 PM

The net effect is I'm neutral on her.

I didn't like her Suzie Kay Letourneau audition but she wasn't half bad in the small blips we saw in Vegas. I seriously hope she gets a make-under (and some sandblasting) otherwise her whack face is going to be creepy distracting.

Rossonera

Rossonera

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 8, 2008 @ 2:16 AM

I think she's going to be a decent dancer. The judges must have seen something in her.

I just wish she could do something about the eyebrows though. I don't want to judge her based on her appearances, but her eyebrows seriously distract me from her dancing. Whenever I see her, all I'm envisioning is her standing in a mirror with a sharpie, drawing in her eyebrows.

happy turtles

happy turtles

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 8, 2008 @ 10:22 AM

Wow, she definitely looks better in her official pic. I'll admit I was disgusted when she first got into the Top 20, but after hearing more about her background and realizing that the stylists could do some real work with this girl, I'm inclined to give her a chance. Plus, she shares a birthday with my mom--what a bizarre reason to back her...

And she did look good in some of her Vegas snippets. I was just too blinded by my initial strong dislike for what I thought she portrayed to notice. Let that be a lesson to me!

adorablegypsy

adorablegypsy

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 8, 2008 @ 12:35 PM

I didn't care for the hot tranny mess vibe of her audition much, but what I remember the most about is thinking that she might actually be pretty talented if it weren't for those damn knee-high Chuck Taylors ruining her leg lines. I agree that her high kick in Tyce's routine in Vegas was impressive. However, looking at those videos dcalley posted, I was seriously underwhelmed by her "lyrical jazz." Her energy seemed overly concentrated in her chest (no double entendre intended there, seriously) and her movements were lacking musicality and sometimes veered toward the awkward side. That girl in the green in front of her was kind of kicking her ass the whole routine. That doesn't give me excessively good hopes for if/when she pulls a Mia routine out of the hat.

I will say she looked pretty good in the other video. (And YAY for Jimmy in that video! He was fantastic!) I know she's getting a lot of comparisons to Snow, which I think have definite merit, but if we're talking S1, she also reminds me a little bit of an (admittedly, less talented) Kamilah. Actually, if Snow and Kamilah had a little dancing baby, it'd probably turn out a heck of a lot like Susie.