Down in Front! In-show advertising

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

39 replies to this topic

TudorQueen

TudorQueen

Stalker

Posted Oct 11, 2009 @ 3:08 PM

(P.S. What is Sweden? :))

It's a long, cold country in Scandinavia, noted for neutrality and Ingmar Bergman movies, but that's not important now. (with thanks to Leslie Neilsen, lol)

The product placements within "Biggest Loser " are not only annoying, they're extremely wrong-headed and counterproductive. First of all, you can tell what agony they are for Bob and Jillian to pretend to be 'casually' pushing this crap on obese people trying to change their lives. Secondly, the artificial food-like products are far less effective towards weight loss and overall health than fresh produce, lean protein and whole grains - and the producers know this! So it makes me gag, which leads to potential eating disorders...

Jujyfruit

Jujyfruit

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 17, 2010 @ 12:06 PM

TVtropolis in Canada has come up with a new one that goes way over the line of being irritating. To promote a show called Launch My Line (some sort of fashion reality show, I guess) they have some sort of clothing rocketship fly all over the screen during other shows. That in itself would be annoying enough. But they take it one step further by adding a rocket sound effect which completely overrides the audio of the show you're watching. If their goal was to severely piss off their viewers, I say well done!

javalake

javalake

Fanatic

Posted Jan 17, 2010 @ 10:44 PM

Lately I've seen McDonalds Egg McMuffin ads popping up on the lower third of the screen during Letterman.

Actionmage

Actionmage

Fanatic

Posted May 12, 2012 @ 2:08 AM

Can we sink the Battleship "banners"/"bugs" that pop-up all over my season/series ending episodes? Or at least the folks who think that kind of "visibility" makes a positive impact?

tvallthetime

tvallthetime

Fanatic

Posted May 12, 2012 @ 7:46 PM

Yes, I saw that during a show I was watching and couldn't believe it. It was so intrusive. How is that effective?

OSM Mom

OSM Mom

Fanatic

Posted May 15, 2012 @ 11:20 AM

They're all intrusive. I don't want to see an ad permanently perched in the lower right hand corner of the screen for some show next frigging week.

Eliot

Eliot

Stalker

• Interests:What, you mean there's a world outside of TV?

Posted May 15, 2012 @ 5:30 PM

What's even worse is when the pop-up ad is so out of sync with the content on the screen. I was watching an old Friends re-run the other night (the one where Ross and Rachel break up for the first time - don't judge!) and at the most emotional part of the scene up pops the whole gang, smiling idiotically across the entire lower half of the screen, thinking to entice me into watching the next episode. Totally ruined whatever emotional impact the show was going for.

cheryl1213

cheryl1213

Fanatic

Posted May 16, 2012 @ 9:34 PM

I've been watching old episodes of 30 Rock (all "new to me") and they have some great product placement pieces. Some are just hilarously over the top praising of an item, others involved the creative team being told to integrate a product into TGS (the show within the show), and there's the classic-as-soon-as-it-aired point when Tina Fey turns to the camera, mentions the product, and (breaking character) asks if they (the "real" show) can have their money now.

backformore

backformore

Fanatic

Posted Sep 16, 2012 @ 1:31 AM

Rizzoli and Isles (spelling?) ARRGH!
Someone's feet hurt from wearing heels, and another character gives her some Dr. Scholl's arch supports/shoe padding stuff. Followed by a Dr. scholl's ad which featured two actresses playing very similar roles to those in the show.

They've also had some crap about a character's car, followed by an ad for that car.

Milburn Stone

Milburn Stone

Fanatic

Posted Feb 16, 2013 @ 7:48 AM

There was a breakfast table scene in House of Cards episode 9 or 10 that could not have been any more of a commercial for Honey Bunches of Oats.