The Middleman: Fighting Evil So You Don't Have To

• Please log in to reply

1241 replies to this topic

peeayebee

peeayebee

Stalker

Posted Jun 18, 2008 @ 10:03 AM

I know I missed a lot of the pop culture references. (I am WAY over the age demographic.) But that didn't turn me off because there was so much else to enjoy.

And AngelKitty, I too thought was the boyfriend was gay.

mandigirl, I didn't notice the focus changing, but as for the character development issue, I'm sure that keeps with the comic book tone. (As I said before, I'm not a comic book reader.) I see Wendy as not freaking out because she has the crime-fighting gene, and Middleman recognized that. The look and tone are very much like the Batman series. No character development there, unless you consider Batman falling for Catwoman to be that. So, if you don't like that sort of stuff, then I can't see enjoying this show. I like the silliness, the dialogue, and the actors, particularly Kesslar who, IMO, makes the show.

LaGinger

LaGinger

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 18, 2008 @ 1:46 PM

I did enjoy the first episode, but I am concerned about Wendy's character development as well. Though it made perfect sense why she did not react to the monsters, I'm worried that some of her actions will merely be for the sake of the plot. From what I saw of Wendy's character during the pilot, it made no sense for her to take the boyfriend back. She seemed to be a no nonsense artist type that does not take a lot of crap and she did not seem that crazy about the boyfriend in the first place, so it seemed like she took him back to merely allow the Middleman to say some funny lines. While most of the show is good, if Wendy's actions don't make sense in the context of her character soon and only serve to further develop the Middleman, it will become annoying. However, I think right now Wendy has the potential to be a well-written, different character than most female TV protagonists. Also I enjoyed most of the supporting characters as well, I hope the roommate and the guy in the hall stick around, though Wendy can redump the boyfriend anytime now.

Edited by LaGinger, Jun 18, 2008 @ 1:46 PM.

Ouroboros

Ouroboros

Fanatic

Posted Jun 18, 2008 @ 9:20 PM

She seemed to be a no nonsense artist type that does not take a lot of crap and she did not seem that crazy about the boyfriend in the first place, so it seemed like she took him back to merely allow the Middleman to say some funny lines.

I agree that bothered me as well. Although I have to admit I did like seeing her smack him around again.

Mongi

Mongi

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 18, 2008 @ 11:35 PM

I would have preferred a Monsieur Mallah shout out, but Gorilla Grodd'll do. TV has been missing this particular type of comic book mayhem for me. That whole Heroes, 'I've never read a comic book before, I swear' thing wears kind of thin after awhile so it's nice to see a show that pays tribute to its past. Maybe a few too many references for one episode, but I imagine that's the sort of thing that'll taper off some in the future. Though I love Wendy's Robin the Boy Hostage complex.

The leads are very likeable too and some of those one liners were very funny. It could be better, but even if it never eclipses this episode it's good, lighthearted fun and I'll keep watching.

Speaker815

Speaker815

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 19, 2008 @ 10:43 AM

I wouldn't worry too much about Wendy's character development - it's HER story. :) Plus - In the comics she DOES get trained by Sensei Ping, and that arc is going to be aired 3rd. She's definitely not Robin the Boy Hostage in THAT story!

Ben WAS a tool - but he came off a lot more... malicious in the show than he did in the comic. In the comic he kinda came off as a doof with poor social skills who made mistakes constantly, but with room to grow. TV Ben came off as sleazy. But - I haven't seen Stephen Sowan in any spoilers for at least the next 8 episodes (except for 1002 - which is airing fourth - where it mentions the aftermath of Wendy and Ben's breakup!) so I'm guessing he's GONE after the pilot!

Anyway, can't wait for more eps!

Edited by Speaker815, Jun 19, 2008 @ 10:45 AM.

Aunty Mib

Aunty Mib

Fanatic

Posted Jun 19, 2008 @ 1:24 PM

...but as for the character development issue, I'm sure that keeps with the comic book tone. (As I said before, I'm not a comic book reader.)

As a voracious reader of comic books I'm expecting the characters to get more fleshed out. Both of the main characters are moving into unknown roles: the Middleman is going to become a mentor and will start planning for his end as the Middleman. The Girl Hostage is going to have to develop some actual accomplishments and real self-respect from the fairly brittle person she was at the beginning of the first episode.

spookygrinder

spookygrinder

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 19, 2008 @ 1:53 PM

Anyway, can't wait for more eps!

Speaker you rock. Thanks for all the support.

Art Crawl!

alliterator

alliterator

Fanatic

Posted Jun 19, 2008 @ 2:24 PM

Oh, I forgot one of my favorite bits of dialogue: when they come across the gorilla painting a landscape, Wendy says, "Not bad for a neo-classicist," to which the mad scientist says, "Art snob."

Wyldemusick

Wyldemusick

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 19, 2008 @ 2:35 PM

I was wondering if that was Javi a couple of messages back, but I suspect not -- caps in use!

Speaker815

Speaker815

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 19, 2008 @ 3:21 PM

LMAO, Wyldemusick.

If you meant me - no, not Javi - but I am JAVIminion numero uno!

Right now I'm trying to figure out who spookygrinder is - you're welcome, btw!

Wyldemusick

Wyldemusick

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 19, 2008 @ 3:50 PM

Actually, it was spookygrinder I was thinking of.

ksm

ksm

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 19, 2008 @ 5:06 PM

I really enjoyed the pilot and will definitely keep watching.

She seemed to be a no nonsense artist type that does not take a lot of crap and she did not seem that crazy about the boyfriend in the first place, so it seemed like she took him back to merely allow the Middleman to say some funny lines.

I agree that bothered me as well. Although I have to admit I did like seeing her smack him around again.

It bothered me a little too. I liked how when he broke up with her she called him on the absurdity of what he was saying and attacked him instead of bursting into tears or something. Her taking him back after that seemed out of character, but then we haven't known her for too long and they had been together for a year before that. Maybe future episodes will explain things better. Is she with him because it's better than nothing? Or does she care more about him than she lets on?

Speaker815

Speaker815

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 19, 2008 @ 6:47 PM

spookygrinder - I now officially get "ART CRAWL!" but still have no idea who you are.

LMAO

wyldemusik - Hmm, perhaps - the caps may be a red herring... or perhaps a peruvian trout.

Edited by Speaker815, Jun 19, 2008 @ 7:16 PM.

Wyldemusick

Wyldemusick

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 19, 2008 @ 7:06 PM

Speaker815 -- you're saying there's something fishy about this?! spookygrinder could be a piker....

There's also the point that TWoP regs insist on proper punctuation and capitalization.

Speaker815

Speaker815

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 19, 2008 @ 7:36 PM

Speaker815 -- you're saying there's something fishy about this?! spookygrinder could be a piker....

There's also the point that TWoP regs insist on proper punctuation and capitalization.

Exactly! That's actually what I meant - got my fish mixed up.

And is that so? Crud - I better look around and learn the rules before I get too addicted to this place and break some rules by accident.

I'm probably already way too off topic.

M N Drew

M N Drew

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 19, 2008 @ 8:25 PM

I do think I'm going to be liking this show quite much. My first impression of the Middleman character is that someone took the Mounty from "Due South" and whacked him upside the head with a clue-bat.

mandigirl

mandigirl

Fanatic

Posted Jun 19, 2008 @ 11:22 PM

So, if you don't like that sort of stuff, then I can't see enjoying this show. I like the silliness, the dialogue, and the actors, particularly Kesslar who, IMO, makes the show.

peeayebee you're probably right (about me not liking this show and about Keesler who was great). I don't mind silliness. I love shows like Scrubs for example that are completely wacky. But I like some sort of character development in order to enjoy the show-- just so I know where they're coming from. Also, I thought the dialog was too self-conscious and didn't come off as naturally as say, Gilmore Girls, but that could improve. Basically, I'll give it another chance. I'm certainly not one of those people who watch shows just to bitch about them so if next week I'm not feeling it I'll be moving along.

spookygrinder

spookygrinder

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 20, 2008 @ 12:12 AM

WyldeM - tell me what a piker is and I'll tell you if I am one.

Speaker - Do you want to figure out who I am or do you want me to tell you?

Speaker815

Speaker815

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 20, 2008 @ 12:25 AM

Speaker - Do you want to figure out who I am or do you want me to tell you?

I'm cool with either - as long as I get HINTS to figure it out, because right now I've got it narrowed down to about 10 different people and I don't want to just throw out guesses. :)

ON second thought -

Nevermind, sir - I figured it out with a bit of Google and luck. I bow to you, sir, as yours is my favorite thus far.

I feel bad for Jordo having to follow that one. ;)

And I hope I'm being enigmatic enough....

ART CRAWL!

Edited by Speaker815, Jun 20, 2008 @ 12:26 AM.

spookygrinder

spookygrinder

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 20, 2008 @ 12:41 AM

I feel bad for Jordo having to follow that one.

Don't feel bad for him, feel bad for me - because once his episode airs I will instantly be forgotten. Ten stars!

Wyldemusick

Wyldemusick

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 20, 2008 @ 12:48 AM

A piker, sirrah, is a low-stakes gambler, and one prone to doing things with an eye to parsimony, as one might expect of a person running a tightly budgeted television series. My comment, though, was made not with that thought in mind so much as furthering the piscine references.

Speaker815

Speaker815

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 20, 2008 @ 12:54 AM

Don't feel bad for him, feel bad for me - because once his episode airs I will instantly be forgotten. Ten stars!

Funny - that's what HE keeps saying! But I'm unhappy with him at the moment for his inability to get an interocitor made by the prop department ;) ... though, from what I've seen at the Middleblog.... no, I've already said too much!

Seriously, though - I will be quoting you know what!!!! for years to come.

And now I really better shush! :)

A piker, sirrah, is a low-stakes gambler, and one prone to doing things with an eye to parsimony, as one might expect of a person running a tightly budgeted television series. My comment, though, was made not with that thought in mind so much as furthering the piscine references.

Ah! :)

Edited by Speaker815, Jun 20, 2008 @ 1:12 AM.

Wyldemusick

Wyldemusick

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 20, 2008 @ 12:58 AM

Aha! Aha? Ah? Hmmm....

(I should prove easier to track down but harder to figure out. And do I like it that way? yes.)

I'm o course looking forward to next Monday. And I really should write a review of the pilot.

Speaker815

Speaker815

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 20, 2008 @ 1:03 AM

I'm o course looking forward to next Monday. And I really should write a review of the pilot.

next monday's is Sarah Watson's awesome epi "The Accidental Occidental Conception."

I'm not read up on spoiler policies yet so I'll probably wait until tomorrow after I've slept and read the rules and THEN post more based on what the rules say...

But the official ABC Fam description is out there and not hard to find.

spookygrinder

spookygrinder

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 20, 2008 @ 1:46 AM

Seriously, though - I will be quoting you know what!!!!for years to come.

Just wait till you "hear" The Middleman and Wendy say it.

Wyldemusick - thanks for the piker definition. I thought it might be slang for low level TV writer who browses on-line forums about his show, in which case you would have found me out!

Sweet axe.

Edited by spookygrinder, Jun 20, 2008 @ 1:48 AM.

Wyldemusick

Wyldemusick

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 20, 2008 @ 5:40 AM

Low=level TV writer browsing online forums? Sounds like Catfish to me! We're used to being on the bottom, in the cold spots, never knowing what's going to float down from above. One of those situations where it doesn't pay to lie back with eyes closed and mouth open, certainly.

Exercise caution and be alert! As The Wrong Box teaches us, it's the bloke with the bugle what gets the arrow right in the windpipe.

As for axes, I'm a proponent and practitioner of The Twang/Whammy Brane Drain, at least when I'm not trying to whack my thumb off with scissors while in the pursuit of simulated railways (I do unsimulated too, but only with trams, and never for money.)

Speaking of twang and whammy, that end title theme should get more development and be released into the wild. I like the sound of where it's going and hope it comes back. A full on modded up title sequence would be nice too. Still, one can't have everything.

Speaker815

Speaker815

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 20, 2008 @ 5:56 AM

Just wait till you "hear" The Middleman and Wendy say it.

Matt's expression is... once it airs, it will be my avatar. Oh yes, it WILL BE!

Wyldemusick - thanks for the piker definition. I thought it might be slang for low level TV writer who browses on-line forums about his show, in which case you would have found me out!

You're thinking of the Oxford Monty Python English Slangtionary definition of the word.

You won't find THAT one at M-W without a paid acct!

A full on modded up title sequence would be nice too. Still, one can't have everything.

Will this do for now?

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=LzYZIwpji1I

Edited by Speaker815, Jun 20, 2008 @ 5:57 AM.

Wyldemusick

Wyldemusick

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 20, 2008 @ 1:19 PM

That works, oh speaker815...and I've seen it before of course, so I think we must point to the Dali-tribute temporal structure of my memory for forgetting that.

It needs MORE TWANG!

MORE!
TWANG!
(and more whammy too.)
(and perhaps more cowbell.)

The mediaeval piker was, by all accounts, a fellow who, in place of an axe-like blade, attached a ten-pound fresh pike to the end of his halberd and fought with that. The piker was also the man charged by his comrades to "go fishing for ye complement." This mission statement has of course changed over the years, although in Hollywood fishing for compliments is more like guddling for trout...in the Los Angeles River.

Speaker815

Speaker815

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 20, 2008 @ 1:51 PM

That works, oh speaker815...and I've seen it before of course, so I think we must point to the Dali-tribute temporal structure of my memory for forgetting that.

LMAO Well it's a great credits sequence (IMHO) and deserves to be seen over and over again. I've had the theme in my head for days now.

It needs MORE TWANG!

MORE!
TWANG!
(and more whammy too.)
(and perhaps more cowbell.)

Definitely on the cowbell!

The mediaeval piker was, by all accounts, a fellow who, in place of an axe-like blade, attached a ten-pound fresh pike to the end of his halberd and fought with that. The piker was also the man charged by his comrades to "go fishing for ye complement." This mission statement has of course changed over the years, although in Hollywood fishing for compliments is more like guddling for trout...in the Los Angeles River.

Seriously - make a note to come back and read this conversation after Mr. Reaser's episode airs on July 14th. I think you'll find a whole new level of enjoyment from your posts. :)

Wyldemusick

Wyldemusick

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 20, 2008 @ 11:08 PM

oh, I'll be wandering in and looking at this topic from time to time.

"I thought she wanted to be chums, but it turned out she wanted to use me for chum...."