Flashpoint

• Please log in to reply

1617 replies to this topic

Saarloos

Saarloos

Fanatic

Posted May 27, 2008 @ 6:50 PM

I saw an advertisement for this show last week on CBS. It's a Canadian show dealing with a type of Canadian police SRT. It looks really exciting and Enrico Colantoni from Veronica Mars and Just Shoot Me also stars in it. CBS says it will debut on Friday July 11th.

Love

Love

Fanatic

Posted May 27, 2008 @ 9:11 PM

I can't tell you how much I am looking forward to this. I am Canadian and have known about this show for awhile. I have been wondering when it would air since it was originally supposed to be a go if the writers strike didn't resolve. There are a lot of good actors here. Hugh Dillon absolutely rocks my world. For those who don't know, he used to be a singer in a little rock band called The Headstones- IMO, one of the best rock bands Canada has ever produced. It's really impressive to see how far he's come.

Edited by Love, May 27, 2008 @ 9:13 PM.

Saarloos

Saarloos

Fanatic

Posted Jun 4, 2008 @ 8:42 PM

Toronto plays itself in Flashpoint drama.

Senator X

Senator X

Fanatic

Posted Jul 1, 2008 @ 2:35 PM

I just saw a commercial for this last night. It also stars everybody's favorite Pink Ranger, Amy Jo Johnson. This could go either way. Action cop shows have to be gritty in this era of The Shield and 24.

BreakingDawn

BreakingDawn

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 5, 2008 @ 2:36 PM

I saw the commercial for this and it reminded me of Phone Booth with Colin Farrel. Looks very dramatic and good.

Taeolas

Taeolas

Fanatic

Posted Jul 10, 2008 @ 9:30 AM

Tossed it on my TIVO and we'll see how it goes. I'm usually a sucker for cop dramas anyways. :)

It's just so weird to see/hear of Toronto playing Toronto and not "US-citybackfill #'s 10 through 20."

mlynnr

mlynnr

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 10, 2008 @ 1:39 PM

OMG, Hugh Dillon! Man, he hasn't been doing the acting thing full time for very long so to land a big show like this? Does Not Suck. Not a big fan of these type cop shows but I'm hitting the TiFaux for the pilot at least. EC was one of the best things about Veronica Mars. Always fun to see if I can recognize any of the Toronto scenery. Let's hope the scripts aren't completely lame and that the dearth of new shows translates to decent ratings... Happy positive thoughts!

rerunz

rerunz

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 11, 2008 @ 10:14 PM

Why would anyone be a sniper if you have to go through that every time?

raventime22

raventime22

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 11, 2008 @ 10:14 PM

So I was wondering how the American viewers out there found the Canadian-style cop drama.

It was pretty good but like most pilots there was something a little bit off with it. Still the acting was pretty good especially from Hugh Dillon. An actual shot of the CN Tower was pretty awesome and the shots on the Toronto subway (Hey, Osgoode station).

*edit* That's how the Ontario police force works any incident that involves a police officer and a death must go through SIU. At least how I understand it.

Edited by raventime22, Jul 11, 2008 @ 10:21 PM.

LRocksCan

LRocksCan

Fanatic

Posted Jul 11, 2008 @ 10:18 PM

I really liked it...but then I'm Canadian and got all giddy that a show set in Canada, shot in Canada, about Canadians was on an American station.

Anyone know the song that played at the end of the show?

bluefish

bluefish

Fanatic

Posted Jul 11, 2008 @ 10:21 PM

I liked it, it reminded me of the anime Patlabor where a unit of police officers fighting crime using mecha they pilot.

As long as the characterization and story is consistant and varied (they don't have to always have to have episodes where they take a suspect out by shooting them or a standoff) I'll still be there.

Saarloos

Saarloos

Fanatic

Posted Jul 11, 2008 @ 10:22 PM

Why would anyone be a sniper if you have to go through that every time?

I can understand why Ed had to be debriefed but SIU's "inquest" seemed more like an "inquisition". Why did he have to disrobe?

What exactly where the words right before Ed took the subject out? Something about a boy?

It was pretty good but like most pilots there was something a little bit off with it.

I felt the same way. Hopefully, the next episode will have something "more" to it.

And Amy Jo Johnson looked great.

raventime22

raventime22

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 11, 2008 @ 10:25 PM

My thinking is mostly that the pacing was weird and may have to do mostly with setting up the characters.

*edit* Saarloos are you Canadian or more specifically a Torontonian? If you're not, well there have been a lot of issues in Toronto involving police action related deaths.

Edited by raventime22, Jul 11, 2008 @ 10:27 PM.

galwaycounty

galwaycounty

Fanatic

Posted Jul 11, 2008 @ 10:33 PM

I'm assuming SRT is what we south of the border call HRT/SWAT?

I really enjoyed it and am not such a US snob that I don't enjoy seeing Canada and Canadians playing themselves.

(I stay up very late at night to watch old epis of Regenesis, Cold Case, Stone, and DaVinci. Used to love Crimetime after Primetime series.)

More later.

MoreRidonkulous

MoreRidonkulous

Fanatic

Posted Jul 11, 2008 @ 10:42 PM

It wasn't bad. Rico should be proud.

I'm a bit on the fence about Ms. Pink Ranger. I've seen her try other dramatic roles and I've just never "felt" her. I'll try to be fair and give her a chance though.

By the way, am I the only one who has to quash a need to do some kind of "Just Shoot Me" joke, given what Enrico's character does for a living? Eeek! Just SAYING that means I gave in!

Saarloos

Saarloos

Fanatic

Posted Jul 11, 2008 @ 10:46 PM

*edit* Saarloos are you Canadian or more specifically a Torontonian? If you're not, well there have been a lot of issues in Toronto involving police action related deaths.

I am an American, raventime22. I was not aware of any issues that you mentioned. Like I said, the scene just seemed so intense. I guess I am just comparing by American standards. Watching this show will also be a learning experience for me about the country north of the border of the US.

MoreRidonkulous

MoreRidonkulous

Fanatic

Posted Jul 11, 2008 @ 10:49 PM

Watching this show will also be a learning experience for me about the country north of the border of the US.

Its hard to tell from a pilot, but it didn't seem like the show was dwelling very much on the differences. I think such things will be presented as very matter-of-fact (police ranks/titles, department names, etc.)

selkie

selkie

Fanatic

Posted Jul 11, 2008 @ 11:26 PM

We liked it. Not a great show, but good and entertaining enough to keep it on Tivo season pass. Mr. selkie thought it had a little bit of a The Unit vibe to it.

If it gets picked up for more episodes, I'm going to start seeing some familiar faces and start making the old joke about there being only 42 actors in all of Canada. Coming soon if there's a season 2- guest appearances by Will Sasso, Geraint Wyn Davies, Christina Cox and Nicholas Lea.

SleepinIn

SleepinIn

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 11, 2008 @ 11:41 PM

I liked it more than I thought I would. Anything with this much press up here must be watched with great caution - but then again Hugh Dillon's in it. How cool is that? I'd watch it just for him.

And in an article on CTV's website he mentions having songs on the show. Love.

MrWhyt

MrWhyt

Fanatic

Posted Jul 12, 2008 @ 12:03 AM

I liked it, nothing spectacular but it was the pilot so entertain me and make me want to watch the next one was really all it had to do. It was fun playing "How many other shows has that Canuck been in?", I swear Poor Bitch/Rollie has been in everything shot up here in the last decade.

Edited by MrWhyt, Jul 12, 2008 @ 12:03 AM.

Actionmage

Actionmage

Fanatic

Posted Jul 12, 2008 @ 12:08 AM

I enjoyed it enough to tune in next week, but Mr. Actionmage missed, then I saw- amazingly enough, on the PTC tv page- that there seems to be a re-airing of the pilot on Sunday, same time period. (Doublecheck to be extra sure!)

MoreRidonkulous

MoreRidonkulous

Fanatic

Posted Jul 12, 2008 @ 12:09 AM

Mr. selkie thought it had a little bit of a The Unit vibe to it.

I think it was mostly the "people in flack jackets" aspect, and maybe the post-traumatic stress angle. Otherwise... I don't think the connection is THAT much.

If it gets picked up for more episodes

I believe its already got an order for 13, although I suppose we'll have to see if CBS actually is willing to stick with a Canadian show for that long.

CdnTVwatcher

CdnTVwatcher

Fanatic

Posted Jul 12, 2008 @ 12:30 AM

It ain't a true Canadian show until Colin Mochrie makes an appearance.

Since it's on CTV, I bet it's a matter of time until some of the actors from Corner Gas, Robson Arms and Degrassi show up. I also find that the Canadian actors who worked on the CBC and those who came from CTV shows rarely cross over, or maybe I'm wrong. If that's the case, I'm sure we'll see a Dale sister at some point.

The ep was pretty decent. I'd love to see a Tim Horton's, Zeller's or Canadian Tire at some point. Even a loonie.

luvalicious

luvalicious

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 12, 2008 @ 12:58 AM

It was okay. I probably wouldn't make a point to watch it but if I flipped by it I'd stop.

GoSoccerMandy

GoSoccerMandy

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 12, 2008 @ 1:09 AM

As a Torontonian who is currently living in the US, watching this show brought a huge smile on my face. From seeing the oh-so-familiar scenes of the TTC, to the red/blue/white cop cars and the CN tower in the wide shots -- made me miss home even more!

I'll be watching again. I'm just waiting for a cup of Timmys to appear too...

Is AJJ the only main actor that isn't a Canuck? I wonder why they casted her??

And, I loved seeing Mark Taylor show up as Lewis. I remember him from back when "Student Bodies" was still around.

Edited by GoSoccerMandy, Jul 12, 2008 @ 1:14 AM.

Lincolnave

Lincolnave

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 12, 2008 @ 1:12 AM

Since it's on CTV, I bet it's a matter of time until some of the actors from Corner Gas, Robson Arms and Degrassi show up

Where do you think they got the shrink?

ElleEstTrois

ElleEstTrois

Fanatic

Posted Jul 12, 2008 @ 1:37 AM

I like the attention to detail: the snipers' attaching themselves on the rooftops,the aftereffect on the sniper-it ain't over after it's over.

Decent summer fare. And, really, there ain't sh!t on network TV right now...

janie jones

janie jones

Stalker

Posted Jul 12, 2008 @ 2:10 AM

This was different from what I expected. Toward the beginning, I was thinking how boring it would be week after week to see a hostage-type situation have to get diffused, but when that guy got shot only partway through, I was sort of surprised. Pleasantly surprised.

Are we supposed to hate the new guy? Are we supposed to think he's a moron? Because shouldn't he know better than to not introduce himself clearly and then ambiguously reach into his pocket in front a bunch of wound up people weilding guns? (I also wasn't sure if I didn't like the doctor, or if the woman playing her is just a bad actress. Or both.)

Its hard to tell from a pilot, but it didn't seem like the show was dwelling very much on the differences.

Yeah, I didn't notice any differences between this and a show that would be taking place in the US, besides people's accents in a couple places. I mean, if there were terminology differences, I wouldn't know if it was a Canadian thing. For example, someone mentioned that SRT is the Canadian version of SWAT, but on Homicide they were called QRT, so I didn't realize "SRT" was Canadian.

Botswana

Botswana

Fanatic

Posted Jul 12, 2008 @ 8:31 AM

The situation with the gunman actually happened few years ago just outside Union Station. The guy confronted his wife in the underground at First Canadian Place. I think he did shoot her. She survived. He then travelled through the underground mall to Union Station where police confronted him & he grabbed some poor girl who was just getting off the subway. He was shot & killed by a police sniper. The main difference in the story is there was no "runner". It pretty much went down without a hitch.

I wonder if they'll continue to base their stories on real events? They could do one about arresting the suspected terrorists a few years ago.

I can see the whole interrogation scene taking place. To me it was played a being them going by the book. You just know that anytime a cop kills someone there is going to be someone questioning whether or not they really had to do it, so I think they really need to ensure that killing the person was unavoidable.

An actual shot of the CN Tower was pretty awesome and the shots on the Toronto subway (Hey, Osgoode station).

They shot right outside Commerce Court. The guy even got off the subway at King & took the Commerce Court exit.

Edited by Botswana, Jul 12, 2008 @ 7:46 AM.

Coppercat

Coppercat

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 12, 2008 @ 10:11 AM

Didn't the Internal Affairs guy mention that they needed his clothing (exterior) for collecting evidence? I guess they make no exceptions, considering he never made physical contact with the suspect.

I enjoyed it, and as pilots go, it's very promising. Just saw the pilot for CSI on cable last week, and it did little more than a workmanlike job of introducing the premise and the characters. This pilot seemed more successful as an actual story than theirs, and look where they are now! So that's a roudabout way of saying I thought it was good, and I'll watch the next one. Hey, I might even watch the Sunday rerun of this one.

Edited to add: Yeh, I thought The New Guy was a crackpot for jumping into a hot situation and doing some distracting, provocative things a veteran cop wouldn't/shouldn't do. I guess he's being written as "the maverick," heh. He's kinda cute but nothing I'm gonna dream about. Time will tell who he turns out to be.

Edited by Coppercat, Jul 12, 2008 @ 10:19 AM.