90210: 'Cause Ten Years Wasn't Enough

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

354 replies to this topic

sourcherry10

sourcherry10

Fanatic

Posted Jul 20, 2008 @ 11:02 AM

Primal Slayer, from the first sentence of that article:

The deed is done: Not only will Shannen Doherty officially have a role on the new version of "90210, she will be in the two-hour premiere on Sept. 2.

They must have reshot it, to include her and make it 2 hours long.

CapsChick

CapsChick

Fanatic

Posted Jul 20, 2008 @ 11:41 AM

The original left off with Dylan and Kelly together. I wonder also how the writers will have him not there while Kelly and possibly even Brenda was around.

Well, the show left off with Kelly opening a PR agency as well (although she had no previous PR experience). People break up, change jobs, etc...I'm sure it will all be explained away in the pilot. I'm guessing it will have to do once again with Dylan's inability to commit.

I don't think they'll have had Donna and David break up, so yeah, probably he will be mentioned in her occasional appearances.

Interesting to see that Rob Estes is also starring, apparently as Kelly's childhood next-door neighbor? So they will make him appear out of nowhere, unless he is supposed to be older and thus not part of the gang from West Beverly. He will probably be the new love interest.

I saw Shannen a couple of years ago on North Beach, or whatever that terrible Hawaii show was with Brooke Burke. I was wondering where that ginormous gap between her two front teeth came from? She didn't have it in the 90210 years. Anyway, I hope she looks better in this show than she did on that one.

As for Joe E. Tata, I always liked him, but the scene where Donna asked him to walk her down the aisle was marred by his too-black hair dye and too-heavy makeup. I hope he looks more natural this time around. It's OK for Nat to look older.

Primal Slayer

Primal Slayer

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 20, 2008 @ 12:36 PM

The deed is done: Not only will Shannen Doherty officially have a role on the new version of "90210,” she will be in the two-hour premiere on Sept. 2.

oh ok, must have overlooked that.

As far as Shannens tooth gap, it started appearing during the late 90s but she always had it pushed together but it always went back to the gap. You can notice it in Charmed. For some people it comes with age, my moms teeth did the same thing. I guess Shannen decieded to accept it and stop getting pushed together. And since she isnt into botox or anything like that, she will probably be looking the same if not a little bit different then she did in North Shore.

Edited by Primal Slayer, Jul 20, 2008 @ 12:38 PM.

Care Bear Love

Care Bear Love

Fanatic

Posted Jul 20, 2008 @ 3:51 PM

Have Bren/Kelly/Donna have lunch together and catch up on old times. That would also be an easy to give us an update on other old 90210 members.

I'd rather they didn't do that. As excited as I am that Brenda will be on the show, and trust me when I say I'm very excited, I don't want the writers mess with the old show too much. They aren't the original writers and as far as I know, no one from the original staff will be working on it. I'm too afraid they'll put a damper on one of my favorite childhood shows by changing the history to suit their needs or making characters vastly different than they were.

As long as they stay in the present, I will enjoy having SD on my screen again for as long as she can behave herself.

Primal Slayer

Primal Slayer

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 20, 2008 @ 4:51 PM

I dont think there is much damage they can do to any of the charecters. They are already in different places in their lives then when we last saw them. Saying so and so is working here or there doesnt really do anything. Kelly has a new job, Donna is in a new job, etc...Plus with this kind of show, you can take and choose what you want to believe happened to your favorite charecters. Its no different with the original 90210 saying that Brandon and Kelly are going to go meet up with Brenda and Dylan for their honeymoon.

Drew T.

Drew T.

Fanatic

Posted Jul 20, 2008 @ 8:45 PM

I was thinking today about having new writers work with the old characters on the show and how I was scared that they'd somehow ruin the old gang, but then I figured that the original series went through so many writers, showrunners, and producers that this is basically like a turnover. Had Charles Rosin stayed with the original show throughout, I'd be worried about new writers touching the characters, but I figure that these guys, at the very least, can't be any worse than the ones who were on the show toward the end.

sourcherry10

sourcherry10

Fanatic

Posted Jul 21, 2008 @ 1:12 AM

Also, it seems like Judas and Sachs know a lot about the old show. They are probably doing lots of research and episode watching, along with the writers, too. They know what they have to live up to, and they know there are going to be lots of nostalgic fans watching with high expectations.

Even if they do mess with the characters, I don't think I'd mind because I'll be so excited to see them all back on my television screen - especially Brenda.

Edited by sourcherry10, Jul 21, 2008 @ 1:13 AM.

arc

arc

Stalker

Posted Jul 21, 2008 @ 5:33 AM

I think they should definitely get Ian back on the show, even if for brief cameo's every now and then. I wouldn't mind seeing Steve stopping by the Peach Pit to pick up dinner for Janet and Maddie.

The secondary character guy (Doug?) who died in a gun accident - I want his actor to come back somehow. I don't know. I guess I still feel ripped off for that bait-n-switch promo from ages ago.

CapsChick

CapsChick

Fanatic

Posted Jul 21, 2008 @ 6:00 AM

The secondary character guy (Doug?) who died in a gun accident

Scott Scanlon?

gmanicus

gmanicus

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 21, 2008 @ 7:34 AM

The deed is done: Not only will Shannen Doherty officially have a role on the new version of "90210, she will be in the two-hour premiere on Sept. 2.

Smirk. I wonder how long it will be before the new teen cast gets pushed aside and the original cast members take center stage? I suppose ratings will tell. If ratings are good, I'm sure the other original cast members will be knocking on the producer's door.

Coconut

Coconut

Fanatic

Posted Jul 21, 2008 @ 10:11 AM

I liked they kept Brenda's theater ambition and made her a director (wiki says she's a famous theater actor and director that you have to take with a grain of salt, but if it's true that would be nice growth for the character) I wonder if she's been in London this whole time? I'd love to see if SD can do a British accent or at least use the lingo. I also hope SD has her act together by now. Although the Director of the High School play/musical? can be a short gig so they have an easy out if she becomes difficult.

With Kelly her major was Psychology so Guidance Counselor would work. and Donna was into fashion. So it seems like they kept the characters ambitions the same. And I agree if the show becomes a hit the other actors will want to make appereances.

I've never heard of any of the actors playing the kids, as a former 90210 watcher I am watching this show for the adults. So I probalby wouldn't mind if it became more adult focused but what else would they expect bringing back an old show after 8 years.

I suppose they are trying to live off of the Gossip Girl fame.

Edited by Coconut, Jul 21, 2008 @ 1:29 PM.

Kel Varnsen

Kel Varnsen

Stalker

Posted Jul 21, 2008 @ 10:48 AM

Smirk. I wonder how long it will be before the new teen cast gets pushed aside and the original cast members take center stage? I suppose ratings will tell. If ratings are good, I'm sure the other original cast members will be knocking on the producer's door.

Would that really happen though? Someone can correct me if I am wrong but isn't the CW all about chasing the teen demographic? I think the lives of the original cast would be of more interest to people in their 30's (there would be little or no nostalgia factor for someone who is 14). So the CW might prefer a cheaper made show that gets an audience of a few million teens compared to a more expensive show (since the original cast probably make a lot more than the teens) that gets a bigger audience but one that is predominantly adults.

sourcherry10

sourcherry10

Fanatic

Posted Jul 21, 2008 @ 10:58 AM

I think that this show is mainly about the teens, and I'm pretty sure it's going to stay that way. Having original cast members is a plus, but the producers seem pretty adamant about the show being about these kids.

Fun interviews here with the cast about their characters and whatnot.

Edited by sourcherry10, Jul 21, 2008 @ 11:33 AM.

blinkbubble15

blinkbubble15

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 21, 2008 @ 2:47 PM

[snip]

Edited by blinkbubble15, Jan 12, 2009 @ 12:58 PM.

Primal Slayer

Primal Slayer

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 21, 2008 @ 3:23 PM

Shannen hasnt been a wild child with a bad attitude since the mid 90s. She has grown up and matured. But people still type cast her as someone with a bad attitude.

sourcherry10

sourcherry10

Fanatic

Posted Jul 21, 2008 @ 7:11 PM

Was it Rob Thomas who came up with the last name Mills?

I feel like I read somewhere that they changed it to Wilson, but I'm not sure how true that is..

Drew T.

Drew T.

Fanatic

Posted Jul 21, 2008 @ 9:57 PM

It's definitely Wilson now according to recent interviews and such. I'm not sure why they'd change it, though.

sourcherry10

sourcherry10

Fanatic

Posted Jul 22, 2008 @ 12:42 AM

Maybe they thought Wilson was a better name?

Aw. OPI is releasing a new nail polish in honor of 90210. I want it!

Care Bear Love

Care Bear Love

Fanatic

Posted Jul 22, 2008 @ 1:40 AM

Would that really happen though? Someone can correct me if I am wrong but isn't the CW all about chasing the teen demographic?

Their target demo is 12-34, so they very well could look to resonably snare permanent viewers from nostalgic fans of old BH, 90210 that will fall right in with their audience. I, for one, was about eight y.o. when the old show started (I watched from the fist episode) and I couldn't have cared less about this new version until the old cast members began signing up. And it wasn't until SD came aboard that I was even a little excited.

Shannen hasnt been a wild child with a bad attitude since the mid 90s. She has grown up and matured. But people still type cast her as someone with a bad attitude.

She was still in the thick of tension on Charmed, which was partly why she left the show in 2001.

Everly

Everly

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 22, 2008 @ 7:49 AM

I must admit i am kind of excited for this show. I'm old enough to remember the original 90210, so it'll be interesting to see what they do with this one.

I can't wait for the premiere...hope it's good.

BTW - i'm more interested in the new characters rather than the old gang. Oh...and i really want Luke Perry to come back. Infact it would be great to see the old characters reunited for at least one ep.

DownsideUp

DownsideUp

Fanatic

Posted Jul 22, 2008 @ 9:14 AM

Their target demo is 12-34, so they very well could look to resonably snare permanent viewers from nostalgic fans of old BH, 90210 that will fall right in with their audience

If they were smart, they would cater to both age brackets. The 20-30-somethings who remember the first run and the younger teen demo for the new cast. And by both, I would want meatier storylines for the adults including more appearances by cast members from the original series (Heck, maybe Ray Pruit is touring through Bev. Hills this fall!).

I don't know how much interest I am going to have in yet another teen-filled drama (I am certainly past the target demo) so I am only watching for the brief interactions with Kelly, Brenda (and eventually Donna) and I'm going to hold out hope we'll get a Steve appearance some time down the line. The new cast could certainly grab my attention, but if they are trying to bank on the "90210" brand, they most definitely need to pay homage to the original series.

Degrassi: TNG was good at this for a bit, they for the most part phased out the original cast members. I would definitely prefer to see more of the original cast instead of all the newbies they've added the last 2 years. /rant

MethodActor05

MethodActor05

Stalker

Posted Jul 22, 2008 @ 11:19 AM

You would think that the CW would start to get that it isn't enough to just try and target the teen audience, and that they should try to get in the twentysomethings and thirtysomethings...but with what they did with Veronica Mars and the Airhead Girls I don't know if they're gonna get that most teenagers these days don't sit down to watch a show in the traditional way anymore.

I'm just feeling like this will be a rip-off of South Of Nowhere, only with no hot lesbian hugging. Rob Thomas being attached does give me hope, but I dunno if he can do "camp" the way this kind of show needs it.

Finally...it's 2008. They graduated in 1993. 15th high school reunion is all the excuse they need to get people to come back.

Edited by MethodActor05, Jul 22, 2008 @ 11:20 AM.

Care Bear Love

Care Bear Love

Fanatic

Posted Jul 22, 2008 @ 11:49 AM

I'm just feeling like this will be a rip-off of South Of Nowhere, only with no hot lesbian hugging.

How so? If anything I would say SoN was a rip-off of the original BH-digits but the only similarity I see there is the fish-out-of-water format, which is pretty common in storytelling.

Oh, and isn't this "Silver" character supposed to have some BIG secret? I wouldn't count out the hot lesbian hugging just yet...

Thomas72389

Thomas72389

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 22, 2008 @ 12:28 PM

Well, according to EW, Silver's big secret seems to be that she's Erin Silver, Kelly and David's half-sister. Also, Jackie Taylor will be making an appearance. I wouldn't be surprised if Kelly eventually became a regular, that's if she's already not listed as one. She works at the school and she's one of the main character's siblings...

As for the hot lesbian hugging? The writers confirmed they'd be dealing with same-sex relationships, but it wasn't revealed who, or if they're male or female.

Edited by Thomas72389, Jul 22, 2008 @ 12:36 PM.

sourcherry10

sourcherry10

Fanatic

Posted Jul 22, 2008 @ 1:05 PM

Thomas, was this on EW online, or in the EW magazine? You made my heart skip a few beats with that first spoiler.. that's absolutely amazing. That's something I've hoped they would do. But why is it a secret? Kelly was in Erin's life for the most part when Erin was little, so why would it be a secret now? And if Kelly is a guidance counselor, wouldn't she have access to information like her full name and whatnot? Hmm.

Ah, okay, it's on Ausiello on EW for anyone who is interested. And it's confirmed that Ann Gillepsie will be a part of the show for at least 1 episode.

Edited by sourcherry10, Jul 22, 2008 @ 1:09 PM.

Thomas72389

Thomas72389

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 22, 2008 @ 2:39 PM

Well, I think they probably wanted to keep it a secret as long as possible. Could you imagine the shock from that reveal in the first episode? It's certainly something I wouldn't have been expecting, since she was previously named Daphne. We just knew there was a possible connection between David and Silver, not that she was Erin. My guess, Silver will spend the first episode dodging Kelly, which will confuse Annie, then for one of the finale scenes, it comes out. Though, this is in noway confirmed to be "the secret." It's just a secret, one that we don't know if it was meant to come out. So far, The CW has gone out of their way to refer to her as Silver only. They may, and probably do, have something else planned.

blinkbubble15

blinkbubble15

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 22, 2008 @ 2:42 PM

[snip]

Edited by blinkbubble15, Jan 12, 2009 @ 1:02 PM.

LaGinger

LaGinger

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 22, 2008 @ 3:15 PM

While I'm glad that some of the former cast members are returning, especially BRENDA, I hope that unlike the early years of Degrassi: TNG, they do not overload us with adult storylines. I don't find adult storylines especially compelling on teen shows anyway, but on D:TNG - the Joey and Caitlin saga got incredibly old, incredibly fast - and then was ultimately unresolved which was lame (I hated Holiday, and I preferred Sydney), the only reason I continued to enjoy D:TNG was that the many of the next generation were compelling characters in and of themselves - but I really did not care about Spike, Snake, Joey or Caitlin all that much.

So I hope with the returning original cast members, they allow them to move forward (which from their backstories they did, which is encouraging), and at the same time they don't bog down the show with their old high school drama. Ultimately the adults, I find, are more interesting in how they relate to the teens. I think Brenda and Annie's interaction will be interesting. Plus, MUSICAL, yay! Also Kelly as guidance counselor could provide interesting fodder for her as well as the teens she works with. Donna as wacky boutique owner will be fun. I always liked Donna as the wacky comic relief part. Also, Nat as sage coffee shop owner will be fine. But I hope there isn't a rehash of their old highschool storylines because ultimately it will be tedious.

So writers, make sure that the new generation is a compelling group. Also, have better resolutions to your storylines than D:TNG.

On the spolier: I'm definitely glad that they decided to have Silver be Erin Silver. This should provide a good storyline for both Erin and Kelly, especially since it seems like Silver is going to be rebellious - this will provide interesting tension. It is also good relevant connection back to the old show. Good retooling writers!

Ultimately, I think this has potential. I think this show can be more grounded and realistic than Gossip Girl, and also teach some lessons, and maybe go into a teen issues in a more realistic way. Hopefully the writers are good though, and the team has a plan about each character's arc.

Kel Varnsen

Kel Varnsen

Stalker

Posted Jul 22, 2008 @ 3:22 PM

On the spolier: I'm definitely glad that they decided to have Silver be Erin Silver. This should provide a good storyline for both Erin and Kelly, especially since it seems like Silver is going to be rebellious - this will provide interesting tension. It is also good relevant connection back to the old show. Good retooling writers!

I think it would have been so much better if this "Silver" person was the bastard child of some girl that David slept with over the course of the original series.

Edited by Kel Varnsen, Jul 22, 2008 @ 3:22 PM.

blinkbubble15

blinkbubble15

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 22, 2008 @ 3:37 PM

[snip]

Edited by blinkbubble15, Jan 12, 2009 @ 1:14 PM.