Wipeout (2008): Most Extreme American Ripoff

• Please log in to reply

1110 replies to this topic

diznee

diznee

Couch Potato

Posted May 22, 2008 @ 9:23 PM

Premieres Tuesday, June 24 at 8 PM on ABC. The official title is just Wipeout, but let's face it: this is basically MXC. Here's the press release and the commercial. Personally, my favorite is the boxing glove wall.

Yes, I know it's yet another sign of the decline of Western civilization (and the rise of Eastern), but I don't care. If I have to see obnoxious people on reality shows, then I might as well see them getting hurt. As an added bonus, John Henson of Talk Soup is co-hosting along with SportsCenter's John Henderson.

Sapienta

Sapienta

Fanatic

Posted May 22, 2008 @ 10:06 PM

The official title is just Wipeout, but let's face it: this is basically MXC.

When I saw it I thought Ninja Warrior.

I also admit that I almost fell off the car laughing at the advert when the woman had to do the rope swing 75 ft and fell right away and the guy was like,"She fell short about...75 ft."

diznee

diznee

Couch Potato

Posted May 23, 2008 @ 3:33 PM

ABC has an official site up with some preview videos: http://abc.go.com/summer/wipeout/index

It does look like there'll be a more Ninja Warrior-like course at the end. It's hard to see how long the course is, but it does look plenty intimidating.

My only concern is that the show will get tired if they don't introduce new obstacles every once in a while. Hopefully they've taken a cue from American Gladiators and will feature different elimination events each week.

loveisthedrug

loveisthedrug

Fanatic

Posted May 24, 2008 @ 6:38 PM

The official title is just Wipeout, but let's face it: this is basically MXC.

I thought the same thing. By the way, great thread title, diznee.

John Henson of Talk Soup is co-hosting along with SportsCenter's John Henderson.

I hope they can bring the snark like Vic Romano and Kenny Blankenship.

VAHokies

VAHokies

Fanatic

Posted Jun 24, 2008 @ 10:33 AM

I've seen long commercials for this, and it does look quite amusing. I'll try it out.

Stinger97

Stinger97

Stalker

Posted Jun 24, 2008 @ 11:38 AM

I'm a gigantic fan of of shows like MXC, Ninja Warrior, and Unbeatable Banzuke, so it is only natural that I'll be tuning into both this and I Survived a Japanese Game Show. This is perfect summer fare.

CrazyDog

CrazyDog

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 24, 2008 @ 3:12 PM

I also admit that I almost fell off the car laughing at the advert when the woman had to do the rope swing 75 ft and fell right away and the guy was like,"She fell short about...75 ft."

I wasn't sure I was going to watch this, but this had me cracking up too. I think I'll have to check this out. The contestants look pretty entertaining from the previews I've seen.

TWoP Gadget

TWoP Gadget

TWoP Moderator

Posted Jun 24, 2008 @ 7:37 PM

I've changed this thread title -- on the (highly unlikely) chance that somebody could confuse this thread with one about the 1990 game show that had nothing to do with mud.

Edited by TWoP Gadget, Jun 24, 2008 @ 7:37 PM.

Puds38

Puds38

Stalker

Posted Jun 24, 2008 @ 8:04 PM

Okay maybe I'm tired and just needed a stress relief, but this seriously cracked me up. When they did the montage of people just getting killed trying to jump on those giant red balls, I laughed til I cried.
Ah, mindless summer tv, how I've missed you.

Sapienta

Sapienta

Fanatic

Posted Jun 24, 2008 @ 8:05 PM

Ok that? Was awesome. Like I knew it would be funny, but I didn't really anticipate just how hard and exhausting it would be. The contestants looked like they were ready to tank by the time the thing was over. I like that it's straight up competition. No voting out, no alliances, just a game show where it's each man for himself.

butterfly1690

butterfly1690

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 24, 2008 @ 8:07 PM

I must say I really enjoyed this. Maybe I think like a 12 year old or maybe I just like to watch people fall but I was laughing so hard I crying at certain parts of this show. I liked the first half hour the best and didn't really care who won. They should just show people fall off those balls over and over again and then get punched by that wall.

VAHokies

VAHokies

Fanatic

Posted Jun 24, 2008 @ 8:08 PM

I liked it, but I did grow a bit tired of it by the end of the hour. I had some great laughs, though.

glermick

glermick

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 24, 2008 @ 8:09 PM

My kids (6 and 8) and I were cracking up watching this. I loved all the contestants bouncing off the giant red balls (is it actually physically possible to get across those?). And the 2 Johns commentating were hysterical -- they really made the show. Perfect snark and great replays, even the white markings on the board. I was also actually impressed with the athleticism shown by some of the contestants -- good recoveries from falls.

Stinger97

Stinger97

Stalker

Posted Jun 24, 2008 @ 8:15 PM

It definitely wasn't as funny as MXC, but it was mindless fun, which is something I can get behind. My nephew (8) really seemed to enjoy it, which is why I'm wondering why ABC didn't air this on Sundays at 8 after America's Funniest Home Videos (which has a solid audience composed of children). Anyway, I hope it lures in some kind of steady audience, because I'd hate to see it pulled before all the episodes air.

Oh, and I really liked the Johns. Both of them were hilarious.

oregano

oregano

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 24, 2008 @ 8:19 PM

UGH - I thought this was awful. The off-color, misogynistic comments by the Johns were totally inappropriate for the target audience of 8 year old boys. What a total disappointment - my kids would have thought the wipeouts were hilarious but there's no way I want them exposed to that kind of ugly, classless, unfunny commentary.

mtvcdm

mtvcdm

Fanatic

Posted Jun 24, 2008 @ 8:32 PM

I take back half of the bad things I ever said about ABC.

The other half is being taken back because of I Survived A Japanese Game Show.

5ktrainee

5ktrainee

Just Tuned In

Posted Jun 24, 2008 @ 8:43 PM

While I agree the show is totally a ripoff of that MXC show, the beginning of the show - the elimination round, was hysterical.
The woman who kept saying "i need the money, I need the money, I need the money" who changed her tune to "I need to get in shape" - she slayed me. Her facial expressions were priceless.

The drawings from the 2nd round were killers. Really, I know it's not the most original or exciting show, but i was wiping tears from my eyes. Give me summertime shows like this anytime!!! Snarking is my favorite pastime!

The Japanese game show - waste of time.

Stinger97

Stinger97

Stalker

Posted Jun 24, 2008 @ 8:46 PM

UGH - I thought this was awful. The off-color, misogynistic comments by the Johns were totally inappropriate for the target audience of 8 year old boys. What a total disappointment - my kids would have thought the wipeouts were hilarious but there's no way I want them exposed to that kind of ugly, classless, unfunny commentary.

I don't know. I mean, the comments did seem anymore off-color than stuff you might hear on Spongebob. What is usually cool about that, though, is that while the comments will usually pass right over the kids' heads (who are too entertained by people slamming into walls to care), they'll often make the adults chuckle. I thought it was a perfect show for both kids and adults to watch together and enjoy. But I definitely respect your opinion!

Little Mac2

Little Mac2

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 24, 2008 @ 8:53 PM

I died laughing during this show. The humor is great, but never went over the line aka MXC often does.

And the stunts....I just have to say that the Sucker wall is JUST so underestimated. I think that it might be tougher to get across than the great balls. But the shots....Oh, the knockouts.

I love this show. And if we EVER get a celebrity edition, comedy GOLD.

heebiejeebie

heebiejeebie

Stalker

Posted Jun 24, 2008 @ 9:45 PM

I wasn't sure about this. I actually don't care for the Spike tweaked show as it comes off too obvious. But I also thought the timeslot could make this a bit too tame. I'm difficult to please, what can I say?

But when, right after the female announcer tells us that "this is a strong woman" and then seeing that poor woman panting puffing and groaning -- with just her head in its inadvertant fauxhawk from mud and water poking up? I howled.

I liked it, but I did grow a bit tired of it by the end of the hour. I had some great laughs, though.

I'm not sure if it is something I would tune in every week for. After awhile it does wear a little thin. And I think the actual last part of the show that determines the winner is the least compelling. I think in the future I can see myself, assuming I follow it as long as I suspect I will "I Survived a Japanese Gameshow", getting up to make a viewing snack between the final set of eliminations and the winners round.

Still is was mindless fun for one night even if the punching glove in the face gets tired. If they are smart though, considering the set and production values, they have some innovations in the course to keep it from getting too old (commercials I think showed at least three different things that I did not see in tonight's episode).

What with this, The Mole and ISAJGS, I think I just raised my ABC viewing by 300%

SweetPickle

SweetPickle

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 24, 2008 @ 9:51 PM

The big balls were the funniest thing I have seen in a long time.

I also loved the people who were swinging too low trying to get to the cookie cutter landing. One woman completely slid down it on her back. That had me howling with laughter. Good times.

The woman announcer was cracking up and that was cracking me up. She's comedy gold.

Dilandau

Dilandau

Fanatic

Posted Jun 24, 2008 @ 10:16 PM

I guess I'm too used to Ninja Warrior. While I enjoyed the show, it bugged the crap out of me that there was no real penalty for falling off the obstacles in the first round. In fact, you'd probably get a better time if you just swam across? The show was fun, I'm just nitpicking.

rockinmyredsox

rockinmyredsox

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 24, 2008 @ 10:24 PM

Well I was 150% amused by this show tonight & I now know I have the mind of a 13 year old boy even though I am a 32 year old woman LOL. I swear I was laughing hysterically every time they said "big balls", mostly because it was in combination with "climbing onto the big balls" or "slamming into the big balls". I watched with my 7 yr old & the innuendo went right over her head and she was cracking up at people getting stuck in the mud or knocked on their asses by the punching wall.

Most of the snark by the Johns was insanely funny, when they said "Go....Go dancer", I nearly fell off the couch.

diznee

diznee

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 24, 2008 @ 10:31 PM

One of the best things about the show was that there was no filler. There were a few short interviews, yeah, but we didn't have 10-minute-long segments on the contestants' sob stories. American Gladiators could learn something from this show.

The first three stages were great, but I was a bit disappointed with the last one. I guess I was expecting something a little more similar to Ninja Warrior. The slide was fun to watch but not much of an obstacle. I'll admit that the Donkey Kong section was great, as were the spinner and trampolines. However, it should've been at least a little longer.

I mean, the comments did seem anymore off-color than stuff you might hear on Spongebob.

I thought the commentary ranged from dull to hilarious. I tend to hate canned commentary, but they did have quite a few great lines. Still, I would've preferred "live" commentary. In fact, one of my favorite parts was Jill Wagner laughing at the contestants and mentioning that the Big Balls never get old. As for it being low-brow humor, I don't disagree, but it was definitely much tamer than the stuff they had on MXC. Sinkers and floaters, anyone?

I guess I'm too used to Ninja Warrior. While I enjoyed the show, it bugged the crap out of me that there was no real penalty for falling off the obstacles in the first round. In fact, you'd probably get a better time if you just swam across? The show was fun, I'm just nitpicking.

The first two obstacles looked to have some pretty deep mud that could really slow a person down. And successfully completing either the Big Balls or the Cookie Cutter Swing were definitely much faster than falling into the water and having to swim.

Cherry Wire

Cherry Wire

Fanatic

Posted Jun 24, 2008 @ 10:49 PM

They should have had Jill Wagner randomly say to contestants, "You've gotta put Mercury on your list".

kingfisher

kingfisher

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 24, 2008 @ 10:50 PM

I watched it. I wanted to see people bounce off the big balls so that was funny, but it didn't hold my attention. I mostly watched the last round and that seems to have been the least compelling. There was something discount about the show, like it was held in some random Walmart parking lot. I thought those two announcer guys were awkward and unfunny. So eh, not my thing. I'm sticking with the one actually set in Japan.

janie jones

janie jones

Stalker

Posted Jun 24, 2008 @ 11:11 PM

I could watch people fall off the big balls all day.

I didn't like the announcers at all though. They reminded me of the stupid narration Bob Saget used to do on America's Funniest Home Videos.

The first two obstacles looked to have some pretty deep mud that could really slow a person down.

On Good Morning America this morning they were saying how they used pitcher's mound clay specifically so it would be hard to get through.

MrBananaGrabber

MrBananaGrabber

Fanatic

Posted Jun 25, 2008 @ 1:02 AM

I loved it. I'm so ashamed. It took me a while to warm to the commentary, but I found it just snarky enough to be amusing, and passive enough not to be obnoxious. The hurting had me laughing so much I hurt.

Seriously, I want to go on this show and humiliate myself.

loveisthedrug

loveisthedrug

Fanatic

Posted Jun 25, 2008 @ 2:59 AM

I was rolling during the pole jump when the go-go dancer chick wasn't paying attention while she was cheering because that other guy finally got knocked off. I wonder if that was real or if it was edited that way.

Loved the snark all around from each of the hosts. I love how Jill Wagner isn't afraid to straight up laugh at the contestants.

I'll be tuning in next week for sure, but I'm afraid it'll start to get boring after a few episodes. We shall see.

Machiabelly

Machiabelly

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 25, 2008 @ 6:04 AM

I loved it, my wife loved it and our 13 year old loved it. I was surprised...but it was a lot of fun.