RuPaul's Drag Race

• Please log in to reply

14202 replies to this topic

mayaroo

mayaroo

Couch Potato

Posted Yesterday, 12:14 PM

Someone please educate me: what does "cis-woman" mean?

pomme de divan: The term refers to women whose assigned gender is female and whose female gender is more or less consistent with her personal sense of self.   A transgender woman is a woman who was initially assigned a male gender and has a female identity.

Edited by mayaroo, Yesterday, 12:18 PM.

shatanwe

shatanwe

Video Archivist

Posted Yesterday, 12:26 PM

I like Ben because I find him consistently talented and to consistently put out the second-to-third best runway looks every episode. He also seems to have a very professional attitude to how he puts things together and acts.

Joslyn is a wonderful ray of sunshine as a person. Skill wise.. I wouldn't have blinked if she went home in the first episode. She's not even coasting, she's just been lucky that more skilled competitors have fucked up over her and that runway seems to not even be taken into account this season. But I like her enough to not care too much that she's there, even though I know she has never done anything impressive and likely won't start to.

Darienne i'm.. mixed about. I think she's overunderrated, when she's good I think she doesn't get enough recognition for it but when she's bad I think she skates by when she probably should have been bottom two. Though i'm consistently underwhelmed by her runway, it's never been as bad as Delta Work's or Mystique's or Stacy's but it's nowhere near as good as Latrice's and sometimes can't even match up to Jiggle's and Madame LaQueer's.

While Darienne is kind of the current bitch of the show.. but well I just rewatched season 4 and 5. Darienne ain't got shit on Phi Phi and Roxxxy. Or Shangela, Raven, Tyra, Tatiana, Alexis, Gia etc. She isn't showing a lot of non-bitchy personality at the moment, but that bitchiness is Bitch Lite compared to previous seasons. And unlike the other bitchy ones Darienne has enough general skills i'm fine with it.

Edited by shatanwe, Yesterday, 12:31 PM.

Zuleikha

Zuleikha

Fanatic

Posted Yesterday, 01:17 PM

I'm a Darienne fan, so take with a grain of salt, but her shadiness doesn't bother me because it's often witty or funny; I see the grain of truth motivating it; and she takes being called on it generally with grace. She was refreshingly honest in Untucked about admitting that she knew she was being hateful. I think it's her way of dealing with the stress of competition, and I prefer it to the meltdowns. 

Much as I love Bianca, I think she's been more problematic with how she raises issues with the other queens. Darienne does it in a way where she can be ignored, but Bianca's so in-your-face that it really can't be. I still think she was totally gratuitous about the Beyonce thing with Trinity, and I think she should have let sleeping dogs lie with Laganja as well. That Gold Room confrontation did not need to happen, and I don't think anyone wanted Laganja to end up so hurt. Better to let Laganja be sent home on a happier note, and, if she survived the lip sync, maybe raise the issues then when it may matter. 

OnceSane

OnceSane

Fanatic

Posted Yesterday, 02:25 PM

I'm an episode or two behind (trying to catch up), but I had a thought about LaGanja.  I think she seems to think she's Alyssa Edwards.  Since Alyssa is her drag mother, I think LaGanja is trying to be her.  And it just doesn't work.  Because she is not Alyssa.  I'm glad the other queens said something to her about her general demeanor.

And I'm over Darienne Lake.  She comes off as bitter instead of slightly shady.  I haven't seen her admit her hatefulness (not on that episode yet), but I hope it changes my opinion of her.  As of now, I'm fine with her being the next one going home.

dirtybubble

dirtybubble

Fanatic

Posted Yesterday, 02:33 PM

I'm a Darienne fan, so take with a grain of salt, but her shadiness doesn't bother me because it's often witty or funny; I see the grain of truth motivating it; and she takes being called on it generally with grace. She was refreshingly honest in Untucked about admitting that she knew she was being hateful. I think it's her way of dealing with the stress of competition, and I prefer it to the meltdowns. 

Much as I love Bianca, I think she's been more problematic with how she raises issues with the other queens. Darienne does it in a way where she can be ignored, but Bianca's so in-your-face that it really can't be. I still think she was totally gratuitous about the Beyonce thing with Trinity, and I think she should have let sleeping dogs lie with Laganja as well. That Gold Room confrontation did not need to happen, and I don't think anyone wanted Laganja to end up so hurt. Better to let Laganja be sent home on a happier note, and, if she survived the lip sync, maybe raise the issues then when it may matter.

ITA on both Darienne and Bianca.  Darienne is talented and funny to me.  Her reads do come across as a bit stingy some times but they are funny and I've never seen it as flat out mean just irritated in the moment.  Lack of sleep, missing family, stress of competition can all lead to this PMs kinda behavior.  Not at all like previous season villans who were, to me anyway, just hateful people.

As far as Bianca goes, yeah she can be in our face and tell it like it is.  What was said with Trinity and Adore lead to a positive impact but what made her think that the conversation in the gold bar was going to lead to anything but a fight.  I know Michelle had brought it up on the runway and everyone else shared the same opinion AND it had just been discussed in the silver lounge so enough already.  Everybody was cool and happy talking about Joslyn and the Skype she got from her man.  To me it just seemed like she was pouring salt on an open wound. 

skeeter22

skeeter22

Couch Potato

Posted Yesterday, 05:20 PM

I don't think Ben has been a completely innocent victim when it comes to the conflict with Darienne. Asking why she wasn't picked for the rap group challenge was insulting to all the queens. In the conversation with Ru for the makeup challenge, Darienne said "we're cougers" and Ben said "I'm too young and beautiful to be a couger". It was a shady comment that received a shady comeback. Clearly Darienne can be shady, but I think the editors are desperate to create another Jynx/Roxxy feud even if the current players don't really fit the bill.

stekpgh

stekpgh

Couch Potato

Posted Yesterday, 05:53 PM

That Gold Room confrontation did not need to happen, and I don't think anyone wanted Laganja to end up so hurt. Better to let Laganja be sent home on a happier note, and, if she survived the lip sync, maybe raise the issues then when it may matter. 

I think it did need to happen. They were collectively exhausted by Laganja's 24 hour a day Alyssa impersonation, they all knew she was the likely bootee for the week, and obviously needed to vent before she left. Bianca started it, but most joined in at some point. From what I've seen of Bianca's interactions with the baby queens this season is that she is never a bitch for the sake of being a bitch with those girls. It may sound like shade, but I think half the reason Adore is still there and Trinity wasn't gone week three is Bianca's tough love shade. 2 out of 3 ain't bad.. I also think Bianca is fully aware that her cynical aging showgirl with the heart of gold routine was a winner for her and the editors - it's a character the show hadn't seen before she walked into the workroom.  Hell, Eve Arden and Joan Blondell (and pre Jessica Fletcher Angela Lansbury) built solid acting careers with the same schtick. 

Edited by stekpgh, Yesterday, 05:54 PM.

Glade

Glade

Video Archivist

Posted Yesterday, 08:53 PM

I liked Darienne a lot before she got on the show, but once she started (and never stopped!--she just can't get over it) lashing out at Ben because she was so jealous that he won twice (and under the ridiculous proposition that if she won she would quietly sneak into a corner to celebrate in order not to offend anyone else) I began to dislike her, and actually she's given a bitch-face to other people out of anger that she didn't win a challenge or a lipsync too.  Looks-wise, her drag is very basic, just a bland wig and dress every week, there's nothing more to it unless the runway theme requires something like a catmask or elephant horns.  Her performance abilities aren't that great either, and other queens have better comedy.   I hope she goes home this upcoming week, I'm sick of her drab bitterness.  

Edited by Glade, Yesterday, 09:01 PM.

JakeyIsSusan

JakeyIsSusan

Fanatic

Posted Today, 01:12 AM

I still think [Bianca] was totally gratuitous about the Beyonce thing with Trinity, and I think she should have let sleeping dogs lie with Laganja as well. That Gold Room confrontation did not need to happen, and I don't think anyone wanted Laganja to end up so hurt. Better to let Laganja be sent home on a happier note, and, if she survived the lip sync, maybe raise the issues then when it may matter. 

I am in total agreement about the Beyoncé thing, and I even wrote about that here when it initially happened. As for the Laganja thing, I saw it as Bianca was realizing how overdramatic and hysterical she was being ("I have waited 24. YEARS. FOR. THIS. MOMENT. AND. YOU. TOOK. IT. FROM. ME!"), and that Bianca herself was hurt that Laganja had made her seem to be this cruel monster when, in actuality, Laganja's parents were ostensibly accepting of her sexuality and just not as supportive of her drag career -- which she had for only the past two years, not 24. I also think that Bianca knew Laganja was on her way out the door, and wanted the air to be cleared before she left.

Now, I don't know why she thought the outcome would have been any different that Laganja ranting and raving and running out of the room like a scolded toddler.

I mainly like Darienne, but sometimes I think she's being shady just because she's insecure. There was NO REASON for her to tell Adore Delano, "You're just like a white crayon - useless," and I don't think it's a coincidence that that's the comment that got everybody to call her out on her behavior. Bianca might be the one who says she has a Rolodex of hate, but you know Darienne was saving that for something. I still like her moments of realness, especially when talking about being a big girl and letting her bat wings fly. That said, Ben de la Crème could say the sky is blue and Darienne would roll her eyes at it.

Zuleikha

Zuleikha

Fanatic

Posted Today, 01:32 AM

Now, I don't know why she thought the outcome would have been any different that Laganja ranting and raving and running out of the room like a scolded toddler.

That's my point. I get that Bianca was stewing and wanted to say something, but I think maturity and experience should have told her that there was nothing to be gained by calling out Laganja at that particular moment, especially in the accusatory way that Bianca did it. Things were only going to go bad so why do it? Just let it go. If she really couldn't, she should have taken it up with Laganja privately after the show was over. 

jonaswan2

jonaswan2

Fanatic

Posted Today, 03:44 AM

That's my point. I get that Bianca was stewing and wanted to say something, but I think maturity and experience should have told her that there was nothing to be gained by calling out Laganja at that particular moment, especially in the accusatory way that Bianca did it. Things were only going to go bad so why do it? Just let it go. If she really couldn't, she should have taken it up with Laganja privately after the show was over.

Well, her stated goal was to turn it around and get Laganja to come to terms with herself and realize that she doesn't have to turn it on to be fabulous. That she's fabulous and fierce without all that riff raff. Now I can't tell you what she actually expected, but from what she stated, she wanted Laganja to have an actual moment to shine. Not a meltdown.

DearEvette

DearEvette

Couch Potato

Posted Today, 07:26 AM

I don't think Ben has been a completely innocent victim when it comes to the conflict with Darienne. Asking why she wasn't picked for the rap group challenge was insulting to all the queens. In the conversation with Ru for the makeup challenge, Darienne said "we're cougers" and Ben said "I'm too young and beautiful to be a couger".

I agree that Ben's first comment about winning came off as a little braggy, but I thought Darienne's response was more than that bit of bragging deserved.  'I wasn't there so it doesn't count.'  What?  And while I did think Ben's asking why she wasn't picked with Darienne's team came off as entitled, it was basically a whine.  Trinity always got picked last for everything and never said peep about it except in her TH.   But again Darienne's response felt too much 'None of your fucking business!'.  Darienne basically brought a gun to what was really a slap fight. 

UtterlyInsane

UtterlyInsane

Loyal Viewer

Posted Today, 08:10 AM

Darienne was definitely too harsh with the "None of your fucking business" line. A simple "I don't wanna talk about that right now" would have sufficed.

Ben has bragged a little, but I don't think she meant any malice. It always seemed kinda playful to me.