RuPaul's Drag Race

• Please log in to reply

14264 replies to this topic

NewTyrastic

NewTyrastic

Fanatic

Posted Mar 10, 2014 @ 12:09 AM

Courtney Act needs to stick with dresses because I can see the boy from Russia whenever she's wearing a bikini. Carmen Carrera, she is not.  

Yes, I was thinking that too, but the way the judges were praising Courtney's body, I thought maybe I was nuts. It looked like a woman's head on a man's body. 

Courtney Act looks like Ellen Degeneres

Wow, I'm really going to have to take a long hard look to see that resemblance!

Lucifyr

Lucifyr

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 10, 2014 @ 11:43 AM

it took me literal seconds into the first 'shocking' twist to realize that they were setting up a 'versus' storyline... you can't take two groups, bond them over different shared experiences, then put them together and not think they're going to stay in group mode.. it's human nature.. which is to say "Pack mentality"

I'm looking forward to see who's the first "defector" ... I can see it being De La, because group 2 is more in line with how I believe she perceives herself. (of course that could just be a bunch of psychobabble twaddle from an armchair quarterback - homerun!)

Raspberry2012

Raspberry2012

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 10, 2014 @ 12:52 PM

I'm not sure that the pack mentality will last for too long.  I could have sworn I saw a picture of Ben hugging Trinity - I'm not sure how far along it was, but they may want us to think there'll be a divide among group lines all season long.  I'm guessing that won't drag on for too long.

shatanwe

shatanwe

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 10, 2014 @ 1:14 PM

I expect it'll quickly revert to the norm: the talented queens band together as one catty group and the less talented ones either fend by themselves or form their own clique.

Dandesun

Dandesun

Stalker

Posted Mar 10, 2014 @ 1:17 PM

Milk was in Seattle over the weekend, tweeting pictures of her and Ben with tags like #teammilkandcreme and #teamhalfandhalf

Despite the various cliques that form throughout the seasons, it seems to me that everyone connects in some way. Some more so than others, some a little less, but it still is a generally positive atmosphere.

Montavilla

Montavilla

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 10, 2014 @ 2:22 PM

In the past, the challenges between the first unconventional materials runway and the Snatch Game have all been team challenges.  I expect that will still be the case this year.  And I expect that the teams will divide along the first/second queens line, unless there's someone left from Team A to be picked, while Team B still has a slot in their team left over.  

What's kind of fun is that the show blatantly manipulated a Heathers vs. Boogers dynamic this year, without making it some kind of character flaw thing.  I like it.  It's much better than the last two seasons, which created mean girl/poor little match girl storylines.

Xazeal

Xazeal

Fanatic

Posted Mar 10, 2014 @ 5:16 PM

I saw on Reddit that apparently, two queens have talked in interviews about the celebrities they met on the show as guest judges, and it might have spoiled that they make it far. I'm not completely sure it's a definite spoiler (could eliminated contestants run into future guest judges somehow?) but I'll put it in tags since it seems reliable enough, and at least one of those interviews was later edited to cover the slip-up.

Spoiler

Glade

Glade

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 10, 2014 @ 9:10 PM

In this episode Trinity was 100% Tyra Sanchez, from the looks to the attitude; she could have won if that was the acting challenge.  I hope she sings as well as Tyra did so she'll be going home soon.  April and Laganja were just gorgeous on the runway today, and blew everyone else out of the water--everyone else just played it safe and looked like they always do.  Personally I don't care much for Bianca, and my regard lowers if she's always going to have the same makeup and overall look.   There was nothing glamorous about Vivacous' outfit, just cheap old plastic. The club kid aesthetic can be updated with better materials.   Hopefully Milk can differ from the demented circus doll too, because I am sick of her face.

If the script and setup for the sequel differed more (like it did for Drag Queens in Space--a franchise worth continuing...) then Adore's group wouldn't have looked quite so bad. But I do hope this 'group 1 vs 2' drama ends quite quickly. 

Edited by Glade, Mar 10, 2014 @ 9:11 PM.

Haberdasher

Haberdasher

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 10, 2014 @ 9:10 PM

I've been binge watching the first five seasons lately, and I am obsessed. This show is one of the most entertaining I've seen in quite some time. There are so many queens I like this season that I can't pick just one favorite.

damedash08

damedash08

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 10, 2014 @ 9:41 PM

Loved this episode! 

It really did show that Group A of the queens are the weaker group. 

I was super impressed by Joslyn in the challenge.  That entire group really worked wonders with the script with the exception of Trinity who I'm convinced is just Tyra Sanchez competing for more money as Glade pointed out.

From the losing group, I did like Ben and Laganja's performances.  I actually didn't mind April either and I thought her runway look should have kept her out of the bottom.  Adore sucking at the challenges and being "charismatic" is going to piss me off but from the many looks in the opening Untucked, I imagine that she's not going anywhere soon.  

I liked Vivacious because she was hilarious, but it was time for her to go.  She looked like a Bumble Ball

xingcat

xingcat

Fanatic

Posted Mar 10, 2014 @ 9:55 PM

Wow, Group 2 really outshines Group 1, don't they? I think Ben De La Creme and April Carrion might continue to shine, but the rest of those queens are just totally outclassed at this point. Gia is totally useless; not funny, not fishy, and not interesting in the slightest. Tries to be shady, but doesn't have the intellect to pull it off. Vivacious is one of the original club kids, but needed to step things up. Milk is quirky and weird, but the Pinocchio nose was just too much for me. She's trying way too hard, and that's never attractive.

Bianca is very caustic, but I still love it. She's smart and tries to give some good advice, but the rest of the young'uns just don't want to hear it.

daveliam

daveliam

Just Tuned In

Posted Mar 10, 2014 @ 10:07 PM

I could totally see why Bianca rubs some people the wrong way, but I love her.  I think she's incredibly smart and clever.  She's really a force to be reckoned with at this point.  I loved watching her shut down both Gia and Adore this episode.  Both of those younger gals think that they are quick, but Bianca ran circles around them without even sweating.

I really love Ben, Darienne, Milk, and Bianca.  I find Laganja, Gia, and (to a lesser extent) Adore to be exhausting.

evilandproud

evilandproud

Stalker

Posted Mar 10, 2014 @ 10:53 PM

In this episode Trinity was 100% Tyra Sanchez, from the looks to the attitude; she could have won if that was the acting challenge.  I hope she sings as well as Tyra did so she'll be going home soon.

Right down to the cancelled BBQ that is Tyra v. 2.0
I did think she looked gorgeous on the runway today and I sort of enjoyed her in the acting challenge. I hated Tyra and I don't think I can muster up that amount of hate for Trinity. Time will tell though. 

I am going to get dog piled on this for sure but I kind of love Gia. Sure, she is a rank rancid bitch but she seems somewhat self aware about it...as opposed to someone like say Phi Phi. I can actually watch Gia without wanting to punch her in the face. 

Still loving Milk.She is serving nightmare realness and I am all about it. She can be so amazingly off putting and borderline scary to look at without doing anything blatantly terrifying and I am all about it. She looked like a Disney character from Hell tonight and I loved it.

SheObliterated

SheObliterated

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 11, 2014 @ 12:06 AM

I think Ben should do Betty White.

That's not even an attempt to be nasty. Betty White has that same wide-eyed humor, her cadence of voice is pretty similar, and Betty White does bawdy humor really really well. 

I think she'd blow Pandora's Carol Channing out of the water.

I also adore Milk. She looks like she stepped out of a Dali painting. 

Edited by SheObliterated, Mar 11, 2014 @ 12:07 AM.

musetta

musetta

Fanatic

Posted Mar 11, 2014 @ 12:10 AM

I am going to get dog piled on this for sure but I kind of love Gia.

For the most part she works my nerves, but I have to admit she gave me the one laugh out loud moment of the episode.  Paraphrased: 

-Gia: I thought it was interesting how the other team's film was in black and white

-Production Assistant:  Could that be because it was in the '60s?

-Gia: Pause. Pause. Pause.  No...?....

Although team B definitely is the stronger overall, I find myself really liking Ben, good combination of looks, character, costuming..... I am hoping as we get more into season we'll start to see some of the contestants going outside of their safe zone (Bianca = caustic; Milk = weird; Courtney = pretty  etc etc).

I will miss Vivacious' commentary, but it was clear that she was not long for the season. 

Edited by musetta, Mar 11, 2014 @ 12:15 AM.

pomme de divan

pomme de divan

Fanatic

Posted Mar 11, 2014 @ 12:11 AM

So first: what was up with Rupauls make up tonight? I can't figure it out, but it looked...odd.

Adore the Bore is working my last nerve with her Valley Girl schtick. What this kid knows about drag could fit into a thimble. Stick to singing.

I loved Vivacious in her TH, but you can't compete on RPDR relying on a wardrobe you wore 20 years ago. Her greatest contribution to the show will always be "shady apes"

In other news, I'm still crushing hard on Bianca & Milk. Darienne Lake is also finding a place in my heart.

Trinity is dumb as a rock, but she rules the runway. She's the Clone of Sanchez to be sure, but warmer.

Honorable Runway Mentions:

April Carrion.  .LaGanja Estranja.   .Courtney Act

Dandesun

Dandesun

Stalker

Posted Mar 11, 2014 @ 1:16 AM

Joslyn and her "Gasp!" -- black horse, indeed. Well played.

Bianca is still everything.

BlakeSpeare

BlakeSpeare

Fanatic

Posted Mar 11, 2014 @ 1:51 AM

I'm really angry that Gia wasn't in the bottom two.

Vivacious, sure, her performance was awful enough that she had to be in the bottom two. But April over Gia? No way. April's outfit was incredible, and Gia's was awful. And April had a much more difficult role, while Gia just had to act like herself, and still managed to mess it up.

I don't mind Trinity at all. The problem with Tyra, beyond her head being completely empty, was that she was rude and nasty as hell. I don't see Trinity acting that way yet. And we'll see if she's as dumb as Tyra was - I'm guessing she's not.

I expect it'll quickly revert to the norm: the talented queens band together as one catty group and the less talented ones either fend by themselves or form their own clique.

IMO, it's usually the shallowest queens banding together as a catty group.

Screamie

Screamie

Fanatic

Posted Mar 11, 2014 @ 2:59 AM

#shadyapes. That is all.

blubld43

blubld43

Fanatic

Posted Mar 11, 2014 @ 4:53 AM

Still sorting out who is who, but Darienne Lake is really growing on me, her performance as the talking head was perfection!

Still loving Milk.She is serving nightmare realness and I am all about it. She can be so amazingly off putting and borderline scary to look at without doing anything blatantly terrifying and I am all about it. She looked like a Disney character from Hell tonight and I loved it.

I am still a little put off by her drag but like Sharon Needles, it's growing on me pretty fast.

I do like a queen with more than one trick up her sleeve though; I love to see all the girls at some point in just fabulous fashion.  The sewing challenges are always my favorite and of course, we already know *some* of these girls can't sew.

ShadowSixx

ShadowSixx

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 11, 2014 @ 5:29 AM

Team Milk completely owned that challenge and congratulations to Darienne Lake for winning the challenge. The whole team was good except for Trinity during the practice but when they showed the trailer she was much better. Team Adore was a mess and Vivvacious was just eek, O-M-G, if that was her best take when they showed the trailer then I was afraid to see the rest. I did like Darienne's attitude when she got the role for head in the box, she didn't complain, she just rolled with it and made it work.

I was floored by Courtney Act on the runway, she looked stunning. I also liked Milk, Estranga & April's runway look too but I was almost scared that Ru was gonna call out Milk for wearing almost the same thing she wore the second week when she made her first appearance on the show. Wasn't much a fan of Vivvacious' runway look, I know its her aesthetic but her outfit just looked like it hurt. Adore's wasn't that good either, looked like she slapped on a wig and dress and walked out without giving her look much thought.

I still continue to root for Milk, Bianca, and Ben, I really would love for them to be the final three. They just look like the queens to look out for even though Milk and Ben's schtick could wear thin with a few judges in the coming weeks.

I LMAO at Bianca's shade towards Trinity about Beyonce. I really don't wanna see another queen obsessed with Beyonce cause Tyra Sanchez really ruined it, Kenya stomped on it with the snatch game, and if Trinity does Beyonce at the Snatch Game if she makes it that far, I'm gonna hurl. You can't do make up or look like Beyonce if you don't resemble her somewhat and neither Tyra or Trinity look like her.

Kaboom

Kaboom

Stalker

Posted Mar 11, 2014 @ 7:29 AM

When Ru reminded Linda Blair that Linda had once dated Rick James I just about died. :-)

Imho Gia should have been bottom two, her runway look was awful and her performance in the horror movie was even worse. I cracked up at Team B clocking her for her lashes the first time the two groups met. It's too bad Vivacious sashayed away but it was clear her performance was really the worst one.

I have trouble finding Joslyn and Laganja when they're in drag, they're both pretty but...that's about it. Joslyn's "gasp!" did make me lol.Trinity doesn't bug me yet but as others have said if she's going for a Tyra v.2.0 re: Beyonce I am done with her.

So glad Darienne won the challenge, her horror movie talking head was fabulous and funny! Besides her I am still loving Ben, Courtney, Milk, April and Bianca.

Puds38

Puds38

Stalker

Posted Mar 11, 2014 @ 7:40 AM

Wasn't much a fan of Vivvacious' runway look, I know its her aesthetic but her outfit just looked like it hurt.

I wasn't surprised to see her go. There was something about her look that was always kinda of busted and unpolished looking. Her face always looked unfinished like she was wearing lips and eyes with no foundation on and I just didn't get her walk at all. I didn't see genderfreak,or club kid when I looked at her and she really was the worse one in the challenge.

I'm not really buying Courtney as fishy either. Whoever said she had the face, but not the body was right. Besides Carmen Carrera has set the bar fairly high in terms of fishy queens.  I do like Milk and I liked the Pinocchio drag, but I hope the body suit isn't going to be her fall back position, 

Not a fan of Gia, or her walk. I'm hoping Bianca doesn't work my nerves. I am liking Dorrianne. The other queens aren't really standing out for me just yet.

Stardancer2001

Stardancer2001

Fanatic

Posted Mar 11, 2014 @ 7:43 AM

That runway outfit can not be Gia's best drag. I like her and I know she could look better than that! 

Loving Darienne, Bianca, and Ben on this go-round.  I'm okay with Trinity, too.

I see the producers are getting into the act!  Loved the subtle shade towards Gia during her TH.

TryDelta

TryDelta

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 11, 2014 @ 8:19 AM

Vivacious looked like a busted piñata with a bunch of dildos glued to it. The whole effect was just...sad

Adore is a sloppy messy queen. May we call her Jiggly? She definitely should have been lip syncin instead of April.

Darienne was pretty funny and definitely deserved the win. Trinity did fine in the end; actually Milk was the weakest in that group.

Will Bianca be able to contain the Rolodex of Hate when the judges' critiques start rolling in? I loved how she shut Gia and Adore down but quick. 

LTG

LTG

Network Executive

Posted Mar 11, 2014 @ 8:37 AM

I adore Milk, and I like her style, but I hope she realizes she needs to bring at least one old-school glam look to the runway to keep Michelle and Ru on her side.  It would be great if she just really changed it up next week.

Gia is rancid, but so long as she keeps making a fool of herself, I don't mind her being on my TV. 

It didn't bother me that they stuck to their cliques this time, because they didn't know anything about the others. But now that the queens have had a chance to see all of their competition in action, I hope they start picking teams based on the strengths they think people will bring, and not just based on which group they started with. 

Xazeal

Xazeal

Fanatic

Posted Mar 11, 2014 @ 8:49 AM

May I just say that the mini-challenge was stupid and brilliant in that hilarious way that only RPDR can manage. How they keep coming up with ideas for these, I'll never understand. And I know they really pick the winners of those challenges based on who the producers would like as team leaders, but I thought Courtney/Laganja were far and away the best.

More and more, I feel like Bianca and Courtney are locks for the finale, with Ben, Milk and Darienne fighting for the third spot, and Adore and Laganja desperately trying to catch up. I may be way off, but based on the edit, that's where I think this is headed.

Edited by Xazeal, Mar 11, 2014 @ 8:49 AM.

Raspberry2012

Raspberry2012

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 11, 2014 @ 8:50 AM

Good lord, did Darienne look stunning last night or what? Such a gorgeous look for her, and I'm really excited for her that she won the challenge.

Poor Ben - it's looking like she's the sole diamond on a largely unpolished team.  

I didn't mind Gia's runway look - in fact, for someone who just goes around spouting how they're "fish fish fish", it was a pretty interesting, out of the box look.  I did love the "black and white" talking head discussion - I get the feeling that the producers must have enjoyed showing what a bubble head she is!

I wouldn't call Trinity the second coming of Tyra just yet - really, the only resemblance to me is that they're both stunning queens, and their styles seem the same.  But Trinity seems more fun, smarter, and warmer than Tyra.

Poor Vivacious.  This contest just wasn't for you.  Very unpolished look, very old-seeming in her ways - even up against a queen who actually IS older than she is. I respect and am in awe of her "old school NY club queen" aesthetic, but it clearly wasn't working for her for this contest.  And I don't think it's that that kind of aesthetic doesn't work, necessarily.  It's just that there's something about Vivacious herself that seems very dated and old.

Still loving Bianca - so smart, sharp and fabulous.  But I think underneath the tough exterior, there's a kindness to her.  If you listen closely to that acid tongue, she's trying to help and give advice.  

Adore - I want to like her.  I really do - I didn't think I'd like her pre-show, and I was glad to see that I found her personality fun.  But good lord, kid - get it together!  How the hell did she get on this show with four gowns, a completely unpolished look and not knowing to even corset before a runway?  Honey!  I like you, I don't want to see you go home any time soon.  Get it together!

Edited by Raspberry2012, Mar 11, 2014 @ 9:06 AM.

xingcat

xingcat

Fanatic

Posted Mar 11, 2014 @ 8:52 AM

A friend of mine worked in a club with Joslyn and I didn't think much of her until the "Gasp!" and then I realized why he loved her.

DearEvette

DearEvette

Fanatic

Posted Mar 11, 2014 @ 8:54 AM

In this episode Trinity was 100% Tyra Sanchez, from the looks to the attitude; she could have won if that was the acting challenge.  I hope she sings as well as Tyra did so she'll be going home soon.

While I do think Trinity does inspire unfortunate flashbacks to Tyra both in looks and inexplicable obsession with Beyonce, I still think Trinity has more substance than Tyra.  And she comes off as more likable.  During the acting challenge, I thought she knew she was above her head, was frank about her limitations and even apologized to her team during the filming for her flubbing.  Tyra would have never done that.  I also appreciated her 'So you want me to be black?' and her discomfort with them wanting her to go ghetto.  She didn't want to be that girl. makes me think again about her runway outfit from last week which, if you think about it, Queen Amidala was a cross between Kate Middleton and Princess Leia.  It was beyond just the black glamour that Tyra put out week to week and shows at least a little glimmer of something interesting going on there.

And during the discussion about her dreams of going to Vegas, I think Trinity attempted to de-escalate the argument with Bianca by again apologizing and conceding that maybe she couldn't be a Beyonce illusionist, but still had big dreams of going to Vegas. I think Tyra just did not have that type of self awareness and  would have been much more combative and the argument would have gotten a bit nastier.  And honestly that little exchange made Ben come off a lot pisser than Trinity. 

As much as I like him and his great shut down of the Gia, the edit for this episode is making Bianca look like he is massively disdainful of  Trinity and frankly she seems rather harmless at this point.

Gia, otho, is awful.  I think she thinks she is throwing massive shade.  But she doesn't have the talent for it, like, say, Jujubee,  so she just comes off as mean.

edited because Ben is not Bianca. Duh.

Edited by DearEvette, Mar 11, 2014 @ 9:15 AM.