RuPaul's Drag Race

• Please log in to reply

14252 replies to this topic

buttercupia

buttercupia

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 16, 2013 @ 10:15 AM

I try so hard to like Roxxxxxy. I really do. But last night was just horrible. And she dragged Detox down with her. No way in hell is she going to be the winner. Not with all that ugly on camera.

dog lover

dog lover

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 16, 2013 @ 10:21 AM

It's not that Detox's LSFYL sucked, it's that Jinkx's interpretation of the song was stellar. That's why I'm surprised at Michelle's dissenting opinion. Plus the fact that Michelle had previously called out Detox for relying on the wobbling lip move too much.

Regarding the Coco/Detox LSFYL - Coco is very good at lip syncing but she never really 'feels' the song. She gives the same performance every time, no matter what song is selected.

thewhiteowl

thewhiteowl

Fanatic

Posted Apr 16, 2013 @ 10:41 AM

So Coco left her delusional bitter bitch shoes for Roxxxy to step right into, too bad she didn't leave any wit to go with them but clearly, she had little to spare.

That puppet show was Rox just vomiting her jealousy all over the room. Not funny or entertaining.

From what I could see, Detox's lip wasn't bad but it wasn't fresh either. Perhaps Detox was too sure she had nothing to learn at RPDR because it sure looks like she learned nothing.

bluelantern

bluelantern

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 16, 2013 @ 10:42 AM

I've never understood Detox's lipsynch. Not her ridiculous overconfidence in her skills, nor the public's support of her performances. Every time she had to LSFYL I kept waiting for her to do something, anything, that would wow me. Most she just stood there. The only times she even pulled focus were when she acted the fool -- the deliberately clunky dance moves, the stupid jaw waggle. We have seen some truly dynamic lipsynch performances on this show, and not one of Detox's three fell into that category for me.

Like everything else about her time on this show, Detox fell flat for me in her lipsynchs. She is a fascinating case study for queens looking to go on this show, because on paper she has Charisma, Uniqueness, Nerve AND Talent. We just saw very little of that over the course of the season. (All that said, I wish her well.)

stekpgh

stekpgh

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 16, 2013 @ 10:50 AM

That's why I'm surprised at Michelle's dissenting opinion. Plus the fact that Michelle had previously called out Detox for relying on the wobbling lip move too much.

Apparently on Twitter she was claiming this is not the one she disagreed with. Maybe she'll never say. She certainly didn't appear to be enjoying Detox that much and Rolodex! Ha!

Unsurprisingly per his twitter account, Bob Mackie appears to be team Jinkx. Maybe he'll make her a costume or two.

I have to say to Roxxxy one more time: Costume construction is not a performance skill (when I was in school you learned how to sew in home economics, not theater class - costume design is an art, but not a performing one - see Ivy Winters), but singing, dancing and comic timing are - there is no luck involved with any of the three. Lip syncing is not intrinsically more difficult or enjoyable than singing. They are separate skills, one of which generally requires an inborn talent (guess which).

Edited by stekpgh, Apr 16, 2013 @ 10:53 AM.

allegory

allegory

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 16, 2013 @ 11:20 AM

Michelle said the elimination she disagreed with was Alyssa's.

WhineandCheez

WhineandCheez

Fanatic

Posted Apr 16, 2013 @ 11:20 AM

WHERE are people hearing that Alyssa is going to have her own spinoff show? Please God Make It So. Or else bring her back and have her win, because Lordy she is one fierce queen. I am pissed that Roxxyy came for Jinxx so harshly because the only think it will do is have Jinxx obnoxiously mutter her duck mantra some more as part of a "The Little Drag Queen Who Could" schtick.

Edited by WhineandCheez, Apr 16, 2013 @ 11:55 AM.

funkgasm

funkgasm

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 16, 2013 @ 11:21 AM

I'm not a Jinkx crazy fan but she clearly won that lip sync.

Also, queens: Please stop pointing at your mouth during the lip sync. If you're doing it right, we're already looking.

Roxxxy was ROBBED this week. Her candy couture blew everyone elses out of the water, and she was the only one who used candy in all 3 looks. She went above and beyond satisfying the challenge's criteria.

Pulling a gummy bear out of your tits and eating does not satisfy "challenge criteria" in my mind. She had candy in 2 of her looks.

Edited by funkgasm, Apr 16, 2013 @ 12:09 PM.

NewTyrastic

NewTyrastic

Fanatic

Posted Apr 16, 2013 @ 11:27 AM

Wow, I have to say this episode [brought me to hate] on Roxxxxxxxxxxy. She's being a bitch, but it ain't fun or cute in any way. It's Ugly! with a capital U. And hello! You're not that creative. We've seen it before.

Also, I don't think that song was designed to give Jinx an advantage. I think any queen with an animated face could've done well with that song, which includes Jinx, Detox and Alaska. If anything that song was meant to send Roxxxy home in a "dramatic" Detox/Roxxxxy show down.

Edited by TWoP Howard, Apr 16, 2013 @ 12:43 PM.
Talking about "hate/love trains" is boards on boards

Dolphincorn

Dolphincorn

Fanatic

Posted Apr 16, 2013 @ 11:41 AM

Once again, Roxxxy looked as if she had burned the tip of her nose while trying to light a cigarette. It was quite distracting.

I'm absolutely fine with the way this season has worked out from first elimination to last. I've liked Alaska and Jinkx the most, and Roxxxy has deserved her challenge wins. If she wasn't so stupid, immature and completely unfunny, I'd probably be rooting for her, too. Right now, however, I'm thrilled at the prospect that a comedy queen will wear the crown. I'll take funny and busted over pretty and polished any day.

mocoo

mocoo

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 16, 2013 @ 12:03 PM

I'll take funny and busted over pretty and polished any day.

None of which applies to Roxxy. If Roxxy is the definition of beauty I should be able to get a contract with Ford Models.

aimistrue

aimistrue

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 16, 2013 @ 12:17 PM

It amuses me that Roxxxy has the nerve to mock anyone else's makeup when she apparently lost control of her Touché Éclat sometime in 2010 and still hasn't managed to wrestle it to the floor and away from the tip of her nose. And I'm still missing Alyssa's facial expressions. They could make a spin off based on her grimaces alone.

Bosman401

Bosman401

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 16, 2013 @ 12:23 PM

Ugh! The fact that someone without an ounce of wit or charm like Roxxy can make it to the final three speaks to the overall weakness of this season. As for talent, does she have any other than stepping out of a cape? That whole shtick is so tired and I can't believe that she's never been called on it.

Detox, hun, Ru asked you that very pointed question in the workroom FOR A REASON. You should have listened and stepped it up.

Onyx Nightshade

Onyx Nightshade

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 16, 2013 @ 12:40 PM

Roxxxy must be feeling the backlash from last night's Untucked. THIS just popped up on my Facebook news feed:

ok let me address the issues of last nights episode…ALL TEA ALL SHADE!
just so thats its out there and cause there is no explanation. if u feel like reading this than read. if not then i cant make you.
did i say all the things on last nights episode YES! I am a pageant girl who is NOT new to competition. IT CAN GET VERY UGLY! We were so stressed and i let every little thing bother me and needed to shut the hell up. Im not going to make EXCUSES! the things i said and did WERE on the verge of BULLYING and just plain out HORRIBLE. Jinkx was my BIGGEST competition and scared the SHIT out of ME and it kills me that i would have done her the way i did. NO ONE DESERVES THAT! im NOT looking for sympathy nor anyone to feel bad for me. for the people who know me and have met me know exactly how against that i am and how much i go out of my way for people. i am a true believer of actions speak louder than words. Jinkx is an amazing person inside and out and is the exact opposite of me but JUST AS GOOD BABY! she was someone i never saw as a threat from as close minded as i was back then and ended up my BIGGEST competition! In life we learn a lot of lessons through experiences and i learned so much! we all have growing up to do and make MANY mistakes. some of mine just happen to be on national television. if i lost you as a fan i APOLOGIZE FROM THE BOTTOM OF MY HEART! for i would have lost MYSELF as a fan from watching that last night. But i will do whatever it takes to prove to u all that im NOT that person! We all make mistakes.
SO LET ME ANSWER ALL THE PEOPLES QUESTIONS….
Am i blaming editing? NO because i had to say those things at some point… BUT, they Can put it anywhere they want in the show. regardless of what episode i actually said it in.
am i ashamed of my actions? ABSOLUTELY!
To some it up before its said again and again … IM NOT asking for everyone to read this and forgive me… but i do want you to know how bad i feel and ashamed i am. un like other queens im being compared to i DO have a heart and my actions were NOTTTT in the right whatsoever!
i love u all and may god help me continue to learn from my mistakes and help me be a better person that what i saw last night.

love u all
Roxxxy Andrews

Edited by TWoP Howard, Apr 16, 2013 @ 12:51 PM.
Added quote tags

blubld43

blubld43

Fanatic

Posted Apr 16, 2013 @ 12:57 PM

Unfortunately for Roxxxy and Coco, their "strategies" just happen to make for REALLY unpleasant, repetitive television, which is when I've had it. Officially.

Word.

can I just say that on a whole, this season's lip syncs were top notch.

No stripping off the drag, thank goodness.

And I still don't know who I really want to win. Much like when Raja and Manila were top two, I just can't choose between Alaska or Jinkx. They're both talented and charismatic, entertaining to the nth degree...with a drag look that is outside the pageant box.

Edited by blubld43, Apr 16, 2013 @ 12:58 PM.

dog lover

dog lover

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 16, 2013 @ 1:07 PM

Michelle said the elimination she disagreed with was Alyssa's.

OK, that makes more sense. Thanks for clearing that up!

kupo

kupo

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 16, 2013 @ 1:25 PM

I think Jinkx probably deserves it more and has, on the whole, performed just a touch better. But I think I'm actually rooting for Alaska. I actually like her look the most of all the girls this season when she nails it, and I think outside of maybe Willam, she's probably the funniest queen to ever grace the show. I've also appreciated her attitude throughout. Much like Juju, she's just super easy to root for.

And truth be told, I do feel bad for Roxxxy. She made for unpleasant television, yes, but people do take it WAY too far with the hate tweets and stuff. Like, get a grip. It's a super high stress situation where they're deliberately prodded by producers, and then on top of that, editors get to take all the material and Picasso it. I sort of doubt that Jinkx and Roxxxy are "besties," but I don't doubt that they're not only "friendly" but genuinely enjoy seeing each other. Coco, for one, was delightful during her elimination lunch. Like, what we see of these girls is greatly distorted, and it's sort of sad that Roxxxy and Coco--as unpleasant TV personalities as they were--have had to literally weather death threats and shit. What a joke.

Montavilla

Montavilla

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 16, 2013 @ 1:28 PM

Thanks for posting that, Onyx Nightshade. I'm not sure I would have seen it otherwise.

I'm definitely Team Jinkx, but I watched that Untucked carefully last night (or rather, very early this morning), and I did think the editors were trying to make it all seem harsher than it needed to be. That's drama.

Good for Roxxxy for owning what she said and admitting that it came from fear. I think that shows a humble spirit.

And I think Roxxxy should be proud of what she's done so far in the competition. She isn't the actress that Jinkx is, but she did well on most of the performance challenges. And her candy dress was amazing. It was much better than anything the designers did on Project Runway when they had to work with candy.

It's funny, because I keep seeing the Roxxxy/Jinkx conflict as a mirror image of the Raja/Shangela relationship. And this time, I'm on the opposite side. Roxxxy, like Raja is labeled "look" in the "look" vs "talent" divide. Jinkx was as lost in this challenge as Shangela was in the Hair Ball and both are fierce performers.

But in terms of attitude and professionalism, Jinkx and Raja are similar. They both appreciate honest feedback and both concentrate on their own performance without worrying about someone else's. In contrast, Shangela and Roxxxy are alike in attacking the competition, trying to get a psychological advantage. Maybe that's temperament, or maybe it's insecurity, or maybe it's just what you do when you're being outclassed almost every week.

I'm remembering that Raja said (on the runway) that Shangela belonged on Season 5 of the show. Oddly enough, I think she's right and not just because it would have given Shangela time to better learn her craft. I think the challenges this season would have shown her off beautifully.

Anyway, I'm not trying to bring up old battles. I just find it odd that I'm rooting for the "Shangela" in this season -- and the only good reason I can think of is because of the similar way that Jinkx and Raja approach their art. Even though their results are diametrically opposed.

Edited by Montavilla, Apr 16, 2013 @ 1:28 PM.

paddymcpaddy

paddymcpaddy

Fanatic

Posted Apr 16, 2013 @ 1:35 PM

Ouch. I just watched that Untucked today.

Roxxxy is doing major damage control. She came off horribly. I thought she was unpleasant enough on Drag Race, but this was above and beyond. It's good that Jinkx can forgive, because I sure don't. Roxxxy has been insecure abut her pageant/body look all season long and that was a bitch-vomit of epic proportions last night.

Pressed ain't pretty, girl.

Edited by paddymcpaddy, Apr 16, 2013 @ 1:36 PM.

kostgard

kostgard

Fanatic

Posted Apr 16, 2013 @ 1:51 PM

Also, queens: Please stop pointing at your mouth during the lip sync. If you're doing it right, we're already looking.

Thank. You. Seriously. Though I agree that this appears to be the worst crime committed by the queens this season, and no one is just stripping and throwing themselves around.

And I'm glad that Michelle clarified that the elimination she disagreed with was Alyssa's (and I concur), because otherwise I was going to have to blame some really creative editing. Michelle looked singularly unimpressed when Detox trotted out the lip wiggle and she seemed over "Rolodex" in general at that point.

Loved Alaska in this week's Untucked. Lol, she straight up admitted she lied on the runway, and just wants Jinkx to go home because she wants to win.

I too loved that Alaska was all, "Of course I want you to go home - I want to win!" Alaska has actually stayed out of the drama almost entirely this season, and I really appreciate that.

This is something worth noting, and it's something a LOT of the queens don't seem to realize. Ru DOES think the "performing" is an important requirement, and probably MORE than the look. Ru has openly admitted that she sees this competition as a way to find eventual successors to her own career, to her own mainstream success. As she said at the NNN Awards, "for 20 years [she] was the only bitch in the game." She wants to bring drag to the mainstream, and that requires the C and the T more than anything. The performance skills are the key.

Yes and yes. Roxxxy keeps banging on about how the glamour and the lip sync skills are what make a true drag queen and Jinkx is just lucky that the challenges have been ones that favor her talents, never connecting the dots to see that Ru is testing those skills for a reason, and not testing them as much on the areas Roxxxy feels are important for a reason.

Ru is no dummy. I'm positive that it has not escaped his notice that the winner who has enjoyed the most mainstream success is Sharon Needles, who is hardly a pageant girl. Ru can read the signs and can see that the public wants a little more than glamour and a good lip sync from their queens. That's why I'm certain we'll see a Jinkx or Alaska win.

NewTyrastic

NewTyrastic

Fanatic

Posted Apr 16, 2013 @ 1:53 PM

Roxxxy must be feeling the backlash from last night's Untucked. THIS just popped up on my Facebook news feed:

It may be damage control, but it works for me. She didn't really have to write that and doesn't owe the "fans" anything really. I think she does recognize that she went over the line with her attitude towards Jinx. I mean I understand it. It is natural to blame the person who is doing better than you in the competition rather than thinking about what you could've done different, but that's when maturity should step in and a little voice in your head should tell you that you need to stop focusing on others and look at your own actions. I think Roxxxy is hearing that voice now. Better late than never.

I thought it was kind of telling in Untucked that Detox, Jinx and Alaska all had glowing things to say about each other as people, but they really couldn't muster much to say about Roxxxxxxy right then.

I too loved that Alaska was all, "Of course I want you to go home - I want to win!" Alaska has actually stayed out of the drama almost entirely this season, and I really appreciate that.

Alaska deserves Miss Congeniality for sure. Even Ivy had a bitchy comment here and there. Can you win and be Miss Congeniality too?

Edited by NewTyrastic, Apr 16, 2013 @ 1:57 PM.

dirtybubble

dirtybubble

Fanatic

Posted Apr 16, 2013 @ 1:59 PM

Good for Roxxxy for owning what she said and admitting that it came from fear. I think that shows a humble spirit.

Agreed. What we also need to remember is that its the end of the competition and everyone is tired, stressed out, and missing family and friends. I'm sure everyone's nerves are frayed. Sure what Roxxxy said was rough but if Jinkx can forgive why can't we and move on. I can't imagine I would look any better under that kind of microscope with all the common b.s. that goes on in a competitive reality tv show. <BR><BR><BR><BR>

Can you win and be Miss Congeniality too? <BR>

No one so far has ever won both Miss Cong. and next drag superstar but I don't think there's a rule saying you can't. I'm up in the air with who I'm voting for. Alaska, Jinx, or maybe even Alyssa would be my choice. I love me some Ivy but I don't think I would vote for her. <BR><BR><BR>Also as a FYI--no one that has won the Snatch Game was ever won the entire competition either.

Edited by dirtybubble, Apr 16, 2013 @ 2:09 PM.

Myndela

Myndela

Fanatic

Posted Apr 16, 2013 @ 2:11 PM

I loved how most of Boxy Mandrew's candy cotoure consisted of outfits she was eating on stage. Marshmallow bracelet, gummy bears in my tits, yum!

allegory

allegory

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 16, 2013 @ 2:17 PM

but i do want you to know how bad i feel and ashamed i am. un like other queens im being compared to i DO have a heart and my actions were NOTTTT in the right whatsoever!

"Wait. I am NOT PhiPhi." LOL

Lucifyr

Lucifyr

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 16, 2013 @ 2:18 PM

So... just a quick little thought.. if Boxxxy Mandrews was such a fierce competitor, why didn't she know better than to show her douche side to the entire country. I appreciate the posted spin/damage control attempt... but seriously, you should know that the editing monkeys are going to go absolut-ly crazy when you give them that much ammunition.

stekpgh

stekpgh

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 16, 2013 @ 2:27 PM

Ru is no dummy. I'm positive that it has not escaped his notice that the winner who has enjoyed the most mainstream success is Sharon Needles, who is hardly a pageant girl. Ru can read the signs and can see that the public wants a little more than glamour and a good lip sync from their queens. That's why I'm certain we'll see a Jinkx or Alaska win.

Yep. Ru wasn't lip syncing on talk and variety shows when she broke through to the mainstream (well she probably was, but to her own music).

What a killer look and lip syncing skills are going to get you is pageant titles and low fee bookings to middle market gay clubs. If you're really lucky and resemble a celebrity you can aspire to a drag review in Vegas - which would at least provide a steady income. Being Miss Continental Plus of West Virginia is not going to provide much income beyond the over sized rhinestone tiara.

marsha

marsha

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 16, 2013 @ 3:54 PM

That was the single most uncomfortable, disturbing and just all 'round horrid episode of RPDR and Untucked I've ever sat through (and I've seen 'em all). It's just horrible to witness such intense hatefulness trying to be passed off as 'entertainment' -- by Roxxxy and Detox and TPTB. Sad, sad, sad. This used to be such a fun show. Yes, always shade (and true shade requires wit to temper the 'T') but this season has gone off the rails in just plain nastiness.

I read Roxxxy's "apology" over on Facebook and at this point I don't care. I mean, I hope she is sorry and sees what a complete and utter asshole she's been all season especially when it comes to her blind jealousy of Jinkx but it's hard not to believe she's just trying to backpedal like mad and try and save some semblance of face (insert nose shading joke here). That said, I guess the show got the "drama" it wanted and this will no doubt be brought up at the finale/reunion ad nauseum and they'll be a big assed (insert you-know-who's big ass joke here) "Rupology" (tm Willam) from Roxxxy and all will be right in the land of RPDR again -- you know, just like they tried to bury all the hard feelings over the "heathers and boogers" bullshit of Season Three.

I did love Alaska's candy couture and thought Jinkx rocked that lipsync. Well, i got two out of three of my "dream" top three. Oh, if only my darling Miss Alyssa Edwards was the third (and the winnnaaahh!::sigh::)

Edited by marsha, Apr 16, 2013 @ 4:35 PM.

DootDoot

DootDoot

Just Tuned In

Posted Apr 16, 2013 @ 4:05 PM

I think it's gotten rather lost in the brouhaha over Roxxxy's attitude and Jinkx's really poor runway outfits, but did anyone else pick up on the fact that Jinkx's face was the best it's ever looked? Girl beat her face! The lipsynch really showed off how flawless her makeup was.

I'm still Team Jinkx, but I now think that Alaska may be the most naturally witty queen ever on RPDR. She may not have Sharon's boundary-pushing aesthetic, but I think she's much more charismatic and funny (and I love Sharon's personality!). Puppet Roxxxy had me in tears!

LTG

LTG

Network Executive

Posted Apr 16, 2013 @ 4:07 PM

No stripping off the drag, thank goodness.

Unless there was more drag underneath.

Detox had some good moments during the LSFYL, but Jinkx just channeled the spirit of Yma Sumac. I think it was one of the absolute top performances of the show's entire run.

allegory

allegory

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 16, 2013 @ 4:42 PM

Sad, sad, sad. This used to be such a fun show. Yes, always shade (and true shade requires wit to temper the 'T') but this season has gone off the rails in just plain nastiness.

I read Roxxxy's "apology" over on Facebook and at this point I don't care.

Ditto to everything you said. At this point I couldn't care less if I never see another episode, which is why I barely paid attention to Season 4 [Phi2].

I have no patience for watching people reveal themselves whether they want to or not then deny it. WORSE, shame on RPDR and WOW for promoting hate over and over since Season 3 with Mimi's dog pile. And NOW humiliating someone's medical condition into a joke via the montage that had NOTHING to do with the bitches in question. Even mocking how she laughs? Really?

While RuPaul preaches "It's all about love". Go sit down Ru. Your life hasn't been all that, either. Fortunately, Roxxxy has a chance since unlike [former] Ru she isn't a drunk and addict yet, which RuPaul has shared along with his chronic depression; and just MIGHT have a shot at being normal. But it's gonna be a long road if she's sincere.

And now that I'm thinking about it, the fact that RuPaul's had such a messed up personal emotional life, it's REALLY pathetic he'd use these [mostly] young men this way.

Edited by allegory, Apr 16, 2013 @ 6:49 PM.