RuPaul's Drag Race

• Please log in to reply

14209 replies to this topic

tany1819

tany1819

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 9, 2013 @ 7:01 AM

Bye Coco!

It was hilarious to me how Coco still felt the need to bring up Alyssa when Coco was eliminated saying that she felt peace or whatever. Girl, please. Her make up job on Horchata was rough but then again her own make up was jacked. I have never seen Coco look polished in the make up area. In addition to being orange she also paints in a way that gives her blotchy skin, and not a smooth look.

I love how Jinkx asked her vet what she was interested in and how she'd like to look before coming up with a concept. The Judy Garland-Liza was great and it was a look that her vet felt comfortable in and enjoyed. I thought she handled the challenge with class and sensitivity. Unlike Roxxxy.

I wonder how Roxxxy's vet feels after watching her talk shit about him and how he wasn't going to be that great. Awkward.

After watching Untucked and hearing about Detox's accident I think I understand why she has seemed disconnected this season. And then of course after last weeks confession, it all makes sense. I think her mind is elsewhere.

Kaboom

Kaboom

Stalker

Posted Apr 9, 2013 @ 7:08 AM

Hallelujah, church lady Coco is finally gone (insert church organ happy-music here)! She did such an awful job on her drag sister and was not all that during the LSFYL, I would have thrown something at the TV if she had stayed.

I admit Roxxxy did a good job on her drag sister's look but isn't that all we get from her...look? It's too bad Alaska had trouble with her drag sister's padding because I thought that they, and Jinkx's Gypsy-themed team, had the best makeovers.

Did anyone else get a sense of Yoda-like premonition when during Untucked Jinkx's veteran sagely stated that he felt that Jinkx was going to surprise the other queens and win the crown?

buttercupia

buttercupia

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 9, 2013 @ 7:17 AM

I loved Beth Adone-that one is a drag queen in the making for sure. he was all "take me to the shoes!" Hilarious.

Coco wears her heart on her sleeve and it's sad to see so much bitter angry wrapped up in one tiny little man with a lot of talent. I love Coco but it was past time for her to go.

Alaska and Nebraska were great. I thought Alaska looked drop dead gorgeous and Nebraska definitely looked like her sister. Why didn't Alaska ask for help with the pads, or have a spare set or something? I think except for those pads, Alaska would have won the challenge. Although I give Roxxxy props, she did a great job with her bear.

Scaramanga

Scaramanga

Fanatic

Posted Apr 9, 2013 @ 7:56 AM

full stop, Blubld43, are you implying that RAJA was a villain with glaring shortcomings who squeaked into the final 3 and managed to win it? Perhaps you didn't watch the whole season where she had 3 wins and 4 times placing high, and only two times in the bottom?

That was my take on Raja. I thought her punk rock win was the only one she came remotely close to deserving, and she acted like a thoroughly unpleasant person from start to finish. She may not have been the ringleader of the verbal bullying of that season, but she was a close second. I almost didn't come back for Season 4.

She's a good makeup artist, but that's about it.

Edited by Scaramanga, Apr 9, 2013 @ 8:03 AM.

pomme de divan

pomme de divan

Fanatic

Posted Apr 9, 2013 @ 8:12 AM

While I'm glad to see Coco go, I thought she rocked the lip synch. Her vet make over was tragic on an epic level, so bye girl bye.

Roxxxy did a great job (congrats) and I like her well enough, but she will never be more than average to me.

Detox is a talented queen, but she seems to be sleep walking thru this competition.

So I guess that puts me on the Alaska or Jinx love train ftw.

Also, I just can't anymore with these Very Special Episodes of Untucked. The girls stories are touching, but the exploitation factor cheapens what should be a poignant moment.

What the hell happened to Clinton Kelly's face? And darling, that dye job is a disaster. Altho hIs suit was dandy.

stekpgh

stekpgh

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 9, 2013 @ 8:29 AM

While I'm glad to see Coco go, I thought she rocked the lip synch. Her vet make over was tragic on an epic level, so bye girl bye.

And I felt like I had seen it all before. After watching four of them I came to realize if she doesn't plan a gimmick (like changing costumes or Godzilla sleeves), she has about four or five moves that she just repeats over and over again all the while maintaining a strange coquettish grin that is kind of creepy coming from a woman of a certain age.

Puds38

Puds38

Stalker

Posted Apr 9, 2013 @ 8:44 AM

I wonder if it's the brand of makeup Coco uses that cause the problems. LaTrese also looked yellow/orange-y when trying to contour. Personally I found that many makeup brands when they go into the darker skintones start looking a little orange to me. I also wonder if it's the lighting the show uses. The only dark queen that never seem to have this problem that I can recall is Bebe.

What the hell happened to Clinton Kelly's face? And darling, that dye job is a disaster. Altho hIs suit was dandy.

I think a lot of it is that dear Clinton like the rest of us is mortal and he's getting older. He's in his 40's now and stuff shifts. I also think he's picked up a few pounds with his new job. I don't think he looks bad, just not twink skinny.

stekpgh

stekpgh

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 9, 2013 @ 9:40 AM

I think a lot of it is that dear Clinton like the rest of us is mortal and he's getting older. He's in his 40's now and stuff shifts. I also think he's picked up a few pounds with his new job. I don't think he looks bad, just not twink skinny.

The Chew crew discussed that a few months ago. They all admitted to packing on the freshman 20 their first year on the show, but I also think Clinton's been dabbling with the botox lately.

SiameseCatLady

SiameseCatLady

Fanatic

Posted Apr 9, 2013 @ 10:46 AM

Watching Jinkx work with her vet was amazing. She is the one of the kindest queens this show has ever seen and ranks up there with Nina for me in terms of sheer awesome. She didn't complain or bitch the way Roxxxy did with her vet, she just got to work and took the time to learn about him as a person, didn't try to force him through his limitations. Even if she doesn't win, she is tops in my book. I have mad love for Jinkx.

This. Jinkx was so kind and considerate to her queen and really talked to him and listened to him. She also seemed to have genuine respect for what gays went through in time's past. And Jinkx knew who Judy Garland was and why it was so awesome David knew her. Jinkx as a performer is awesome, but I've really started to like Jerick a lot as a person and appreciate him for more than his talent. I'm old enough to be his mother, but I just want to hug him and be his friend. Jinkx better make the final 3 and I really hope he can pull out the win!

kostgard

kostgard

Fanatic

Posted Apr 9, 2013 @ 10:48 AM

I wonder if it's the brand of makeup Coco uses that cause the problems. LaTrese also looked yellow/orange-y when trying to contour. Personally I found that many makeup brands when they go into the darker skintones start looking a little orange to me. I also wonder if it's the lighting the show uses. The only dark queen that never seem to have this problem that I can recall is Bebe.

There are a several queens who did a much better job of blending and didn't look orange or yellow - Tyra didn't, and even Shangela didn't have blending/streaking/orange problems on that level. I think maybe the problem is what looks good in a dark club doesn't look good in a lit television studio and they couldn't figure out how to adjust their makeup accordingly.

Latrice's makeup seems to improve greatly after her appearance on the show, so I don't know why she went back to streaky orange/yellow for the Absolut commercial, unless it was intentional.

kupo

kupo

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 9, 2013 @ 11:10 AM

Roxxxy was an understandable winner, here, though I think Jinkx and her vet actually stole the show. Either way, both of these teams did great.

Alaska...oooh, gurl, that padding. And you know, that totally could have worked with the whole patented "Busted Alaska Aesthetic," but she needed to give herself some hilariously wonky padding to go with it. It just looked wrong saddling her poor sister with it. And I thought their runway look was just too dull. Alaska's still my girl, and she ranks right up there with Jujubee in terms of being just a naturally winning, compelling, and easy to root for personality, but she's shown incredibly narrow range with her looks. This was just a plain black catsuit with that same wig we've seen a hundred other times. I hope she really turns it out next week. I want to see her in the final three, but her runway has been her weakest component.

Detox looked fab, tacky, but fab, and her vet would have looked tacky and fab, too, had she not had that tie in the front and that ugly...embellishment, whatever the hell it was. It pushed her just a touch closer to the "tacky" side of that equation. Their flag routine was tragic, but, you know, we give Detox a lot of shit for coasting, and here she at least demonstrated some ambition. LOL, tragic that the one time she does that it backfires so horribly.

And Coco...well, what's there to say? Your vet WAS busted looking, sorry bout it. I was laughing so hard at them all kissing Coco's butt in the Untucked, and not just telling her like it clearly was. I'm assuming they were all doing that to avoid hurting the vet's feelings, which is admirable. And god bless the vet, she worked it. It was just the look that sunk her.

Really, though, I think this was the strongest set of non-queens they've had. ALL five of these guys were totally game, and adjusted their gestures and mannerisms and body language as best they could.

Scaramanga

Scaramanga

Fanatic

Posted Apr 9, 2013 @ 11:29 AM

Roxxxy really has blossomed late in the competition.

LOVED the "negatives" effect Detox and her vet had with the wigs and hats.

Alaska's vet might almost have looked better with no hip padding than what she ended up with.

AgingGoth

AgingGoth

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 9, 2013 @ 11:35 AM

Personally I found that many makeup brands when they go into the darker skintones start looking a little orange to me. I also wonder if it's the lighting the show uses. The only dark queen that never seem to have this problem that I can recall is Bebe.

It is because Bebe is used to the runway as her first venture into drag was as a runway model. She would paint differently because the lighting is far different and the stage is usually closer to the audience than for a performance queen like LaTrice and Coco. Thier makeup is done more for the stage as they are not as close or as static as on the runway. This appears to be a problem for most stage queens when coming to Tv where we can see their make-up up close.

They either overpaint or if they are darker skinned will use yellows and oranges to lighten and accentuate their features for the stage. You will a much better look on Coco in the Divas review she does with other celeb impersonators. They also had a professional do their makeup when they do conventions so they like Coco may never do another person's face but their own.

I actually liked Coco even with her emotions but I knew this challenge would have her lipsyching. I also feel that she did better than Detox, especially when Detox reverted back to the jaw shake that they told her not to do again. But this was the 4th time down there so ......

I think Roxxxy did well but not as well as Jinkx. But by now I know you have to have twins coming down the mainstage if you want to win. Only the twin couples will win, no matter how creative you are with your runway performance.

I liked Jinkx and her guy better as they seem to be having fun and had a more polished routine than the others. Detox just messed up royally on the stage and I felt her guy was the most busted with the costume although the makeup was great.

I still feel that only one of the contestants would legitimately out Lipsynch Coco and that's Jinkx. All she would have to do is sing the song. I also believe Coco needed last episodes win against Alyssa for closure. I feel the main bad blood is that no one felt she deserved the crown and had done something underhanded to take it from Alyssa so this was vendication. Hence why she was OK with being sashayed.

I may be in the minority but I will miss her.

Edited by AgingGoth, Apr 9, 2013 @ 12:00 PM.

cpcathy

cpcathy

Fanatic

Posted Apr 9, 2013 @ 11:40 AM

For the life of me I can't remember what season four's makeover was, or, if there was one! Someone please help me out, so I don't waste all my time trying to come up with it, instead of, you know, working!

kupo

kupo

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 9, 2013 @ 11:48 AM

Season 4's makeovers were "DILFs"--all straight dads.

dabunique

dabunique

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 9, 2013 @ 12:08 PM

Season 4 Butch Men who were pregnant lol

tany1819

tany1819

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 9, 2013 @ 12:13 PM

Season 4's makeovers were "DILFs"--all straight dads.

Who were also pregnant! :)

I guess next week we are being set up for a Jinkx meltdown.

itsallgravy

itsallgravy

Fanatic

Posted Apr 9, 2013 @ 12:22 PM

Phi Phi won the DILF epi and Latrice did her (in my mind) epic Natural Woman LSFYL.

cpcathy

cpcathy

Fanatic

Posted Apr 9, 2013 @ 12:38 PM

Whew! Thank you! Could not picture any of it. How could I have forgotten Latrice's lipsync!

stekpgh

stekpgh

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 9, 2013 @ 12:43 PM

Roxxxy really has blossomed late in the competition.

I don't see the blossoming - I'd call it a moderate stepping up. She recreated herself on a shorter, somewhat stockier guy who appeared to be game for anything(while Roxxxy bitched about it the whole way). There was no creativity or originality in what she did - ultimately it was the same old drop the scarf and reveal a spandex clad ass runway she's been doing all season. She deserved the win because she did it really well (and everybody else but Jinkx fell short in one way or another), but it was still the same old Jinkx obsessed, body baring, bitter Roxxxy we've been seeing for weeks.

Interestingly, they've posted the full drill routines from the three lower placers (but not Jinkx or Roxxxy). All were awful in one way or another. Coco's was an unchoreographed mess, Detox's was sloppy as hell - I think they were too busy flirting to rehearse. Alaska's was marginally less sloppy, but half assed naughty in a way that fell flat. From the rehearsal footage it looks like much of that nonsense was her protege's idea. Alaska should have told him to wait until he was back in his room to start grabbing poles.

Edited by stekpgh, Apr 9, 2013 @ 12:45 PM.

funkgasm

funkgasm

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 9, 2013 @ 12:45 PM

That lip sync was all kinds of boring. Coco seemed nervous as hell; I'm sure she knew that the 4th time is NOT a charm and thus knew her destiny. Detox's "retro dance moves" were like, unsettling? And I like both Coco and Detox.
I can't help but imagine that Alyssa would've turned it... once again. But that's just wishful thinking.

ultimately it was the same old drop the scarf and reveal a spandex clad ass runway she's been doing all season

YES, thank you! And I find it a little suspicious, maybe this is me mis-remembering, but didn't we only see Roxxxy and her vet come out marching then the booty shake at the end? What happened in the middle?

Edited by funkgasm, Apr 9, 2013 @ 12:47 PM.

blubld43

blubld43

Fanatic

Posted Apr 9, 2013 @ 12:53 PM

I think he's had some filler put in. I loved him and George K on here, had me wondering if they've ever asked Joan Rivers to guest judge! Love to see that for sure.

the same old Jinkx obsessed, body baring, bitter Roxxxy we've been seeing for weeks.

I'm thinking that Roxxy just isn't happy outside her comfort zone. She's always been the prettiest, best queen in her home city maybe, so she doesn't know what to do when she comes up against a queen like Jinkx.
If that were true though, why isn't she coming for Sharon? Maybe she's most afraid of Jinkx beating her out of that crown.
Someone upthread commented on Alaska's runway being pretty much the same last night; I have to agree. I don't know what next week's challenge is, but if it's fashion, I think we'll see Alaska lip synching. I really like her, would definitely go to her show, but she needs to expand her aesthetic horizons.

YoureSoUrban

YoureSoUrban

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 9, 2013 @ 1:03 PM

The producer manipulation was off the charts with this one. Pairing Jinxx with a drama queen (he contributed to the death of Judy Garland? oh ok) who can't comfortably stand for a several minutes -- in a competition where men wear high heels -- is ridiculously exploitative. Jinxx was the only partner he could have had (except maybe Alaska) and because Jinxx is so thoughtful and compassionate, she pulled it off.

kostgard

kostgard

Fanatic

Posted Apr 9, 2013 @ 1:30 PM

The producer manipulation was off the charts with this one. Pairing Jinxx with a drama queen (he contributed to the death of Judy Garland? oh ok) who can't comfortably stand for a several minutes -- in a competition where men wear high heels -- is ridiculously exploitative. Jinxx was the only partner he could have had (except maybe Alaska) and because Jinxx is so thoughtful and compassionate, she pulled it off.

I actually thought the pairing was surprisingly low-key. Yes, the guy was a bit of a drama queen (I killed Judy Garland! I can't walk in heels - because I have AIDS!), but he and Jinkx didn't disagree on anything and Jinkx did a good job of just figuring out what the guy was capable of and working with that. And his drama moments just resulted in some side-eye from Ru (after the Judy Garland moment) and one little quiet moment when Jinkx got choked up (after the guy walked away) when he told her he has AIDS. The producers usually like the drama when a contestant gets frustrated with their partner and/or their two personalities clash - like Sharon and her obnoxious DILF last season, or the easily distracted jocks from season three or the creepy guy Pandora dealt with in season two. Actually, outside of a few wobbly walks in heels and Roxxxy's bellyaching, all the pairings were pretty drama-free.

Highlighting his health condition felt a bit exploitative, but it was right in line with what they've been doing on Untucked all season long.

Puds38

Puds38

Stalker

Posted Apr 9, 2013 @ 1:34 PM

Once again a truly heartfelt moment get s lost for me. If this season hadn't been full of one Lifetime movie of the week moment after another, the Vet's confession might have had more impact. As it is I was like oh yeah sad story #9,247,947,597,439.

stekpgh

stekpgh

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 9, 2013 @ 1:39 PM

I actually thought the pairing was surprisingly low-key.

I agree. Maximum drama would have been created by making sure Jinkx's vet ended up with Roxxxy or Coco. Although the producers may have intervened to avoid having him walk, because according to his blog Jinkx's vet was more than 10 years over the age range they recruited for. Per him, they were desperate for a fifth and contacted him at the last minute to fill in. And - he detests reality shows. He claims he said yes to further his own agenda - without specifying what that was. Methinks Jinkx's charm and patience shocked him into having a good time.

AgingGoth

AgingGoth

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 9, 2013 @ 1:42 PM

For the life of me I can't remember what season four's makeover was, or, if there was one! Someone please help me out, so I don't waste all my time trying to come up with it, instead of, you know, working!

DILFS (Dads I Like to .....)

Edited by AgingGoth, Apr 9, 2013 @ 1:46 PM.

Gregorio

Gregorio

Fanatic

Posted Apr 9, 2013 @ 1:43 PM

Watching the 10 minute preview, I thought we were being set up for an Alaska win (this season, not just this episode). However, now that I've seen the whole episode and Untucked, I think we're being prepped for a Jinkx win.

Jinkx was shown being quite gracious with her vet, and rushed to congratulate Roxxxy for doing so well the moment they stepped into Interior Illusions. The moment her vet said she would win, in Untucked, seemed to mirror what happens between the actual queens, in a way that made me think it was being set as the underdog story line (even though the editing hasn't actually made Jinkx an underdog). I'd also point out that except for episodes 1 and 2, Jinkx is now all high or win. Maybe she's being given the Joanie/Anya a la ANTM, but it's looking very good for her now.

Meanwhile, yeah, Roxxxy did well, but what an ungracious creature! I know all of her bitching about her vet was supposed to advance the plot, but man, it just made her seem like an entitled brat. Girl, you got the one who's most shaped like you, and we all know the only thing you know how to do is work with body.

NewTyrastic

NewTyrastic

Fanatic

Posted Apr 9, 2013 @ 2:01 PM

Fuschia Luzon! That's actually the only look I can remember. I know Alexis's guy turned out pretty, but I can't picture it.

Coco won the LSFYL in my opinion, but you can't be in the bottom 4 times and stay in the competition. I think the editing monkeys are pointing us towards a Roxxxxxxxxxxxxy and Jinx final two show down. I just hope Jinx doesn't end up in the bottom before then because based on the videos I've seen on the 'tube, lip-syncing is not her strong suit. Sorry! I have not seen her live though.

Edited by NewTyrastic, Apr 9, 2013 @ 2:02 PM.

kostgard

kostgard

Fanatic

Posted Apr 9, 2013 @ 2:15 PM

Girl, you got the one who's most shaped like you, and we all know the only thing you know how to do is work with body.

I know! She complained, and I've seen some reviews of the episode talk about how she had it tough because the guy was kind of a bear, but apart from shaving him, she was just working with a shorter version of herself. All she had to do was apply what she does to herself on someone else's body. I'm not really arguing her win because they did look good, but this hardly caused Roxxxy to step outside of her comfort zone. She knows how to work/pad a curvy body, she had a partner who was game, and the rest of it was just giving him the exact same hair/makeup/wardrobe she puts on herself. She didn't have to deal with a different body type, or skin tone, or a large age difference.