RuPaul's Drag Race

• Please log in to reply

14211 replies to this topic

meadowlands

meadowlands

Loyal Viewer

Posted Nov 15, 2012 @ 8:01 AM

I myself think of Fanny Shosha as the drag queen alter ego of Sammy Sosa, but that may just be me. Yeah, I'm sure it's just me.

Nope, I went there too.

buttercupia

buttercupia

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 15, 2012 @ 8:17 AM

I thought Ru was giving us a little Jessica Wild in her wig and makeup this episode.

Jillian is way prettier but for just a moment there, I saw Tyra Sanchez.

OrganBuilder

OrganBuilder

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 15, 2012 @ 12:59 PM

I really, really, really didn't like Ru's wig in this episode--it looked like a Lady Bunny do gone flat.

It's a shame--normally I like Ru's look. Even when it is so over-the-top that it makes my eyes roll, there is an element of panache that allows her to carry it off. This was the first time I thought she made a serious wardrobe mistake in a way that wasn't fun.

blubld43

blubld43

Fanatic

Posted Nov 15, 2012 @ 1:22 PM

I really, really, really didn't like Ru's wig in this episode--it looked like a Lady Bunny do gone flat.

Me either! I kept looking at it trying to figure out what she was going for.
Normally I like her runway looks! But I have to say, she is NOT always on point, IMO. That green and black, vinyl looking dress that I think she wore on the mainstage once last season was awful.

Jillian is way prettier but for just a moment there, I saw Tyra Sanchez.

lol, I certainly didn't see any Tyra, Jillian is gorgeous! I could never figure out how Tyra won her season.

stekpgh

stekpgh

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 15, 2012 @ 10:31 PM

Just ran across this on my Facebook wall-

Out 100 Cover

Ru's season 4 pick continues to climb well beyond what the previous winners were able to achieve. She hasn't just bumped her viability as a gay bar guest performer up a notch or 3. Who would have thunk the out there spooky one would end up being the most successful winner to date? Not just one of the Out 100 - but sharing the Out 100 cover rotation with Jane Lynch, Boy George and Andrew Rannells as this year's "Stylemaker"

Edited by stekpgh, Nov 15, 2012 @ 10:32 PM.

bluvelvet

bluvelvet

Fanatic

Posted Nov 16, 2012 @ 12:33 AM

Wow Sharon looks gorgeous in that picture. Glad to hear she is doing well.

Edited by bluvelvet, Nov 16, 2012 @ 12:37 AM.

dog lover

dog lover

Video Archivist

Posted Nov 16, 2012 @ 11:26 AM

Who would have thunk the out there spooky one would end up being the most successful winner to date?

I'm not shocked that Sharon Needles is so much more successful than the first three winners. She is the first queen to actually possess charisma, uniqueness, nerve and talent - in all areas, not just on the runway. Bebe, Tyra and Raja are gorgeous, give good face and have impeccable fashion sense but otherwise, bring little to the table. Sharon too is creative and can turn heads with her unique look, but, unlike the others, her talents go way beyond rocking the runway. She's a true entertainer - witty, personable, smart, funny, plus she can carry a tune. The other three are not in her league.

channelczar

channelczar

Loyal Viewer

Posted Nov 16, 2012 @ 12:53 PM

It has begun. On the Drag Race FB page they've started to reveal the Season V queens. It appears that Logo is having a little internet 'like' scavenger hunt going to have more queens revealed. I'm pumped, especially after this relatively dull (with the exception of the last episode) season.

BillyBoy221

BillyBoy221

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 16, 2012 @ 1:51 PM

The first revealed queen is another polished, gorgeous Puerto Rican. Lineysha Sparx.

The Void

The Void

Fanatic

Posted Nov 16, 2012 @ 7:55 PM

The first six queens have been revealed!

- Lineysha Sparx
- Serena Chacha
- Detox I-cunt
- Roxxxy Andrews
- Penny Tration (Fan Vote)
- Jade Jolie

Detox is one of Willam's close buddies... oh my god that is going to be awesome. I hope Alaska gets announced soon!

Edited by The Void, Nov 16, 2012 @ 10:39 PM.

AineFey

AineFey

Loyal Viewer

Posted Nov 16, 2012 @ 9:45 PM

Detox is one of Willam's close buddies... oh my god that is going to be awesome. I hope Alaska gets announced soon!

I pretty much counted Alaska in for season 5 when Sharon won. So if she isn't in, I'm going to be so disappointed. : (

ScrubMonkey

ScrubMonkey

Fanatic

Posted Nov 16, 2012 @ 9:53 PM

Detox is sassy. She'll be fun to watch.

How would I pronounce this name, and does it have any further meaning?

Lineysha Sparx

(Like, is it a pun in another language?)

The Void

The Void

Fanatic

Posted Nov 16, 2012 @ 10:32 PM

She's a PR queen so it's probably just some name she thought up. I don't think any of the PR queens on the show have had 'puns' in their names so far. (Nina Flowers, Jessica Wild, Alexis Mateo, Yara Sofia, Madame LaQueer, and Kenya Michaels)

Also, it looks like way back when India Ferrah caused drama over the show and not doing drag anymore in June, she basically leaked the majority of the queens that are going to be on the show.

The ones not announced by the official FB pages and such so far are:
- Coco Montresse
- Alaska Thunderfvck
- Alyssa Edwards
- Khloe DeVyne

For a total of 10 queens so far. There are probably two or three that we don't know about? Some people think Mayhem Miller might be a part of the cast.

And some spoilers about who may potentially make the final 3:
Spoiler

Edited by The Void, Nov 16, 2012 @ 10:40 PM.

juno0pop

juno0pop

Just Tuned In

Posted Nov 17, 2012 @ 4:36 AM

And some spoilers about who may potentially make the final 3:

Spoiler

Oh man, if
Spoiler

The Deej

The Deej

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 17, 2012 @ 2:59 PM

Pia married a film producer (he produced Butterfly, too)

Lest we forget her Golden Globe win was rumoured to be bought by her husband.

The Void

The Void

Fanatic

Posted Nov 17, 2012 @ 4:40 PM

Okay, so far the following have been revealed by Logo:
- Detox Icunt
- Alyssa Edwards
- Honey Mahogany
- Jade Jolie
- Jinkx Monsoon
- Lyneisha Sparx
- Penny Tration
- Roxxxy Andrews
- Serena Chacha
- Vivienne Pinay

That's 10 so far. It's thought that Coco and Alaska are the only ones missing so far. Maybe Khloe too?

Blixx

Blixx

Video Archivist

Posted Nov 17, 2012 @ 9:05 PM

I wonder how Ru is going to announce the names of the queens who have F*** and C*** in their names? "Alaska Thunder[beep], and Detox I[beep] please step forward." Those beeps would get really annoying after a while.

Blue Skadoo

Blue Skadoo

Just Tuned In

Posted Nov 17, 2012 @ 9:21 PM

According to Willam's tumblr or facebook (I can't remember where I saw it), Detox dropped the "Icunt" from her name and is now just Detox. He didn't say why, but maybe its to become more TV-friendly?

The Void

The Void

Fanatic

Posted Nov 17, 2012 @ 10:23 PM

When they mentioned Alaska previously in season 4, they would just call her "Alaska", so perhaps the same will happen here? Hope it won't cause too much confusion when it comes to finding information about her. In Sharon's case, she had another queen with the name and in Alaska's case, she took her name from a strain of pot, haha.

ElectricBoogalo

ElectricBoogalo

Stalker

Posted Nov 17, 2012 @ 11:27 PM

Willam's new album The Wreckoning has been released

Apparently you get free stickers if you order it from Willam's website.

Edited by ElectricBoogalo, Nov 17, 2012 @ 11:30 PM.

Gregorio

Gregorio

Fanatic

Posted Nov 18, 2012 @ 12:09 AM

Apparently you get free stickers if you order it from Willam's website.

Yeah, but are they scented?

ScrubMonkey

ScrubMonkey

Fanatic

Posted Nov 18, 2012 @ 2:45 AM

Sometimes, Willam looks eerily like Nicole Brown Simpson.

The Void

The Void

Fanatic

Posted Nov 18, 2012 @ 2:04 PM

There were some surprises in the reveals today!

The cast is as follows according to the scavenger hunt-y:
- Alaska Thunderfvck
- Alyssa Edwards
- Coco Montrese
- Detox Icunt
- Honey Mahogany
- Ivy Winters
- Jade Jolie
- Jinkx Monsoon
- Lineysha Sparx
- Monica Beverly Hillz
- Penny Tration
- Roxxxy Andrews
- Serena ChaCha
- Vivienne Pinay

I think Ivy Winters and Monica Beverly Hills were not expected to be in the cast?

Edited by The Void, Nov 18, 2012 @ 2:04 PM.

ratgirlagogo

ratgirlagogo

Fanatic

Posted Nov 18, 2012 @ 4:00 PM

Just wanted to add something to the fish= vagina discussion from a few pages back. This is in no way a recent metaphor. When Mercutio says about Romeo, " Oh flesh, flesh how thou art fishified," he means that Romeo has just returned from putting his penis (flesh) into a woman's vagina (fish). Also that crack in Measure for Measure about "groping for trout in a peculiar stream" is the same joke. There are many more like that in Shakespeare, those are just the two I can remember without having to look it up. It's so offhand that it must have been an old joke even in Shakespeare's time.

And of course when fish is fresh it doesn't smell, just like when a woman is healthy her vagina doesn't smell. It's more of a visual/tactile metaphor really.

discorules

discorules

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 19, 2012 @ 12:31 AM

Drag Race is fun to watch on DVD because the episodes are uncensored. All the fucks and other words are intact. Good to hear Ru say And don't fuck it up!

kostgard

kostgard

Fanatic

Posted Nov 19, 2012 @ 1:41 AM

14 Contestants? I'm betting we'll get a double elimination somewhere along the line.

This may be a good bunch. None of them look totally busted. Too bad there is only one big queen, but she looks polished (at least in that one photo). So far the big girls have either been totally busted (most of them), looked good but didn't have the personality/confidence to win (Delta) or were able to go far on personality but lacked some polish (Latrice). It would be nice to see one that is the whole package.

BillyBoy221

BillyBoy221

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 19, 2012 @ 2:09 AM

I think Roxxxy is considered a plus size queen too, and seems to be the most polished plus size queen we've had. The cast seems great based on first impressions.

Bungalow Joy

Bungalow Joy

Stalker

Posted Nov 19, 2012 @ 4:20 AM

So apparently Alyssa Edwards was dethroned and first runner-up Coco Montrese took her place in the 2010 Miss Gay America pageant? That's some calculated casting...

Knots Landing

Knots Landing

Fanatic

Posted Nov 19, 2012 @ 4:50 AM

I wonder how Ru is going to announce the names of the queens who have F*** and C*** in their names? "Alaska Thunder[beep], and Detox I[beep] please step forward." Those beeps would get really annoying after a while.

She had no problem saying Rebecca Glasscock during season one, which is actually what brought me here. I've been re-watching season one and I had forgotten how low budget it was. In spite of this, there is some top notch talent. Nina Flowers, Bebe Zahara Benet and Shannel circa season one could all compete on any other season and still be top contenders. I just finished the episode where they had to create 3 looks centered around a flavor of Absolut Vodka. Besides Rebecca Glasscock, I was very impressed. Bebe was flawless with every look and her presentation was stunning. Shannel was pretty flawless as well and Nina was perfection. Just brilliant. My memory is failing me, but in any future seasons have the girls had a challenge where they have to create two or three looks for the runway presentation? I was surpised at how well these girls pulled it off, considering they also had to make all three outfits.

The one glaring WTF of this season is Rebecca Glasscock. Her walk on the runway is PAINFUL to look at. It looks like she had a stick up her ass and needs to take a poo. Her makeup is embarassing and her clothes are terrible whether it's her clothes or something she has to create. How did she survive so long? How does she win challenges? I don't understand the pretty aspect because her makeup is so bad. She's beautiful, but her makeup takes away from that. She never ceases to amaze me. I understand Shannel went off on the judges in her final episode, but she killed Rebecca in the lipsynch and should've been in the final 3. I honestly don't blame her for being upset at being criticized for every little then when someone like Rebecca is praised. To think Rebecca lasted longer than Ongina or even Tammie Brown is insulting. Rebecca should've left first.

allegory

allegory

Loyal Viewer

Posted Nov 19, 2012 @ 6:21 AM

My memory is failing me, but in any future seasons have the girls had a challenge where they have to create two or three looks for the runway presentation?

I think: Season 2 had one: The Diva Awards. Season 3 had three runway looks twice: RuPaul's Hair Extravaganza and Make Dat Money challenges. Season four had one: The Fabulous Bitch Ball.

Also each season's episodes with hetero guys could count as two looks and for Season 3 actually 4 looks since they had to do the complimentary outfits for both jock & themselves plus a set of cheerleading outfits for both.