RuPaul's Drag Race

• Please log in to reply

14202 replies to this topic

ScrubMonkey

ScrubMonkey

Fanatic

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 1:10 PM

tommie, I sure hope you are right in reading those 'signs.' I could live with it if Chad won - when performing she knows what she's doing. (I just don't like what I see as her 'instigator side' - she sets 'em up and lets the heads roll as they may, when things have taken a breather, she fires it up again...too many times for my liking.) I'd love it if Sharon won. I'd seriously wonder about Show's taste level if Fical won.

BTW--did I see correctly, was Willam dressed as Smurfette for his tape?

He was blue, for sure.

thewhiteowl

thewhiteowl

Fanatic

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 1:13 PM

I so hope that I'm over-thinking this, but I think Phi2 could win this. If you discount her personality, which Ru does (based on Tyra not having one) Phi2 is fishy enough, polished enough on the runway (based on the guest judge comments)and she is not fully Caucasian. She fits with all the other winners. There has not been a fully Caucasian winner of this show IIRC. Camaroon, Tyra and Raja, right? Am I missing someone? All the racial comments got me thinking about it. I hadn't even noticed before. So do Chad and Sharon cancel each other out as Michelle stated? And Phi2 slides in as winner? I apologize in advance if I offend anyone by asking this. Just the thought of Phi2 winning is pretty offensive, I know, but possible? Yeah, I think so.

ScrubMonkey

ScrubMonkey

Fanatic

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 1:31 PM

It's possible. Michelle seems to light up when Fi is on stage. I think she sees Fi as her mini me. And the judges, disappointingly, interpret the other competitors' very valid complaints about contestant X's (Tyra, Fical) horrible personality as jealousy. And the one being complained about is just "fierce" or "ambitious." You can be ambitious and nice. You can be fierce and fair.

DorothySayers

DorothySayers

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 1:58 PM

Someone put forward an interesting thought on another forum I frequent - but Phi Phi has this Rockethub page where she's trying to get funding for her debut single - would she really do that if she won? I guess she could just be a cheap bitch but it does seem a bit iffy that she couldn't take a few thousand dollars out of her own pocket if she just won 100 000 dollars.

I went to the link and realized that PhiPhiPhoPhum would raise tens of thousands if the rewards she gave for donations revolved around humbling herself or submitting to serious questioning and not t-shirts and thank you notes.

allegory

allegory

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 3:55 PM

I have to say that although others have claimed that the only one who took the "Heathers" concept seriously was Delta, Manila and Carmen seemed to have it in mind that it was a "thing" too. IMO, Raja was the only one who kept it moving.

Technically, Manila was the one who started the Boogers classification for an entire group on the Queens in Space Episode 2 when she said "they're the Boogers of the group" and you also saw Carmen say that in the confessional that episode, way before the Heathers concept was introduced in Face of Cakes Episode 7. That group was India, Shangela, Mariah, Yara, Mimi and Stacy.

I'd say it was more than having it in mind, for Manila and Carmen. Considering all of them used the meme and stayed "in character" throughout the show, after the show all year, and still do mention it off and on. There are plenty of clips of Manila using "Heather". ie "Of course we're the pretty ones, we're Heathers". Manila tweeting Heather comments and interviewing "I'm glad I lost to a Heather" after the show. http://lgbtweekly.co...06/16/manila-3/ (and Carmen too). Even on her own utube channel.

Here's a video of the Gilead TV spot with Delta, Manila and Carmen, the one where they wore red, uploaded by Manila as "The Heathers in Red" and all three talking about Heathers in the video and posted in the video description and putting The Heathers facebook page in the video description too. Raja was not there she was touring.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=qwk-hWnIT4I

All four of them wore the Heathers necklaces at the reunion and I think Raja addressed it there.They created a The Heathers Facebook page and all of them posted to it. They still post to it. After Season 4 Absolute commercial they posted what a fun day of shooting it was, and Delta wasn't in the commercial nor was Carmen so it had to be either Manila or Raja. They did Heather photo shoots together during the year and booked some shows together promoted as The Heathers. Their fans continued to love the meme too. They still use it, post with it and still do new fan art of Heathers. Raja was asked repeatedly about it as the winner, doing the most interviews and addressed it every time.

Since by now it's a sisterhood meme, they only use for each other and their fans (you can be a Heather too blah blah blah).,considering the show's been over for a year, imo, I don't think there's any impact to the non-Heathers at this point. For me, there's no comparison between Season 3 and Season 4 in terms of entertainment value and LOLZ even though Shangela drove me insane. At least in my view she did get a couple of funny lines off, unlike Phi2, the disrupter of this season. I thought Season 3 was great and for me, not unlike other competitive reality tv shows with two "teams" even if they don't name themselves. Like Celebrity Apprentice, Survivor, Biggest Loser etc. Drag queen style, wherein shade starts being thrown the moment contestants enter the work room. " Club Kid. Where's her body, where's her makeup, she's just not on our level". Then she wins hahaha.

Edited by allegory, Apr 13, 2012 @ 3:58 PM.

The Void

The Void

Fanatic

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 4:54 PM

wherein shade starts being thrown the moment contestants enter the work room. " Club Kid. Where's her body, where's her makeup, she's just not on our level". Then she wins hahaha.

Maybe the one that other queens had the biggest reaction from the very beginning will win? If I remember correctly, Phi Phi had a non-entrance basically in the first episode and was like "So, are you guys excited? What, you're not?" when Willam said "No, we're not excited. Of course we are!".

On the other hand, Sharon was doubted from the very beginning ("I'd have to say the weakest one here would have to be Sharon.", "What a whackjob.", etc.) and then she wins four challenges which seems as though they may have been setting up a Sharon Surprise imo.

I love the Heathers concept and I don't think anyone actually meant for it to be taken seriously. There was probably going to be that divide between the two groups (Yara, Shangela, Alexis and Raja, Manila, Carmen, Delta) regardless of labels since Yara/Alexis had issues with the judges liking the other girls and Shangela had beefs with all of them for 'attacking her'. I still think that if Shangela were not around during most of that season, the other girls may not have been classified as 'boogers'.

It is rather interesting that the winner of RuPaul's Drag Race has never been a Caucasian. The runners up have almost always been though, or at least had some form of light skin tone (Nina Flowers, Raven, Manila Luzon) so that's interesting. I wonder if it's supposed to play off of Top Model and how in certain cycles, the 'white girl' will end up runner up.

Hopefully they're not going to continue with that pattern and crown Phi Phi as the winner. Please, let the 'breaking all the rules' involve Phi Phi getting eliminated somehow.

Great article on Sharon from SpliceToday

Edited by The Void, Apr 13, 2012 @ 5:18 PM.

Disc

Disc

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 6:48 PM

Phi Phi winning would be a tragedy, but at this point, I don't think it matters anymore. She can take that check and kindly disappear. I equate the situation to Tim Gunn's summation of Project Runway season 8: Gretchen needs the money, Mondo will be fine.

Montavilla

Montavilla

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 7:22 PM

While we wait for the big Finale, I'm going to do another Season Retrospective!

Starting with Episode 1

RuPocalypse
I still love this opening with the empty You Betta Werq Room and the queens entering one by one. The music is the same as Season Three, and I think and makes it sound like Christmas. Nothing else this episode will be remotely as wonderful -- since it's the end of the world and every one begins to feel desperate.

Favorite Moments
Willam licking the sewing machine.

Kenya doing her booty dance.

Sharon getting so excited to see Elvira.

The Princess flirting with Sharon and saying she's loves "that whole meth look."

Favorite Lines:
This exchange:
Willam: I'm gonna learn Spanish by the time I win --
Madame LaQueer: What?!
Willam: Huh?

And, of course:
Latrice: The shade, the shade of it all!

Favorite TH Moments:
Kenya: I am from the iceland of enchantment, Puerto Rico!

Willam: Kenya looks fishy. And I was like, "crap now Im going to have to be the funny one, not the pretty one."

Sharon: The three words that would describe Sharon Needles are: Beautiful, spooky, and stupid.

Head Bitch
Ru sets down the law early this season, having Shangela show up in a big box, then ordering the Pit Crew to take her out back, throw a honey badger into the box and set it on fire, while proclaiming, "My show. My rules."

And who can forget this?

"Oh, ladies. While you're back there, you may want to think of ways to make a more... memorable impression next week? That's all."

Best Entrance
It's really hard to choose because everyone tried to make a great one. I guess I'd have to go with LaShauwn, because both the outfit and the hair was craaaazy.

Most Valuable Player
There weren't any real heavy lifters this episode, but I'll give it to LaShauwn for saying "Ru tells us we have to make a post-apocalopktic outfit."

Best Backstory
Latrice. No one else should have even tried to tell their backstories. Who can compete with missing their mother's funeral because they were in prison?

Best Day Drag
Alisha wasn't lying about how fishy she was. The only problem was that she looked a little top heavy.

Phi-Phi Watch
I'm giving Phi-Phi her own section because otherwise, she'd end up being Head Bitch every episode.

So, in this episode, we get Phi-Phi deciding that LaShauwn (Top 3), and Sharon (Winner) are the mostly likely to go home. She also bitches when she's declared "safe" and starts attacking Willam in Untucked.

Best photo (that didn't win)
Latrice. But I can see why Ru didn't pick it, since it didn't relate to the McQueen reference.

Worst photo:
Milan

Best Runway Look (out of the Top 3)
Milan

Worst Runway Look (out of the Bottom 3)
It's hard to choose just one. I didn't like Madame LaQueer, Dida, or Latrice.

Best Judges Comment
RuPaul: America's Next Drag Superstar needs nerve, she doesn't need to be nervous... You're here. Play to win.

Worst Judging Comment
Michelle faults The Princess for the lack of dirt on her Waterworld outfit.

Untucked

Best Lines
(Dida?): Whose going to be in the bottom?
Willam: They're all bottoms.

LaShauwn: I'm not here to make best buddies, bitch! This is not RuPaul's Best Friend Race!

Best TH
Willam: I don't trust Phi-Phi. She's the only one. She was so mad that I'm here. And I'm just like "Girl, you can't do anything about it. Why are you yelling?"

Best Personality
Willam stands out for being funny, upbeat, and unfazed by Phi-Phi's gratuitous attack on her for the audacity of being successful.

Edited by Montavilla, Apr 13, 2012 @ 9:17 PM.

Jensmom

Jensmom

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 7:31 PM

I agree Disc. I fervently hope Ru is above giving the win to Phi2, but somewhat like Latrice, I've made peace with it, because from what I can see, there is literally no way for Phi2 to turn even a win to his advantage. The shrillness is unprofessional and the cattiness was worse than 13 year old girls. Queens should be better than that. It's funny too, the show is over (for them) yet he is still acting the same way. Writing stupid things on autographs, trying to lead negative cheers; if those things are your only claim to "fame", your ride is over and regardless of the outcome, you lost.

BRAVO(A) Montivilla! That recap had me remembering all my favorite moments as well. I looked at the first few Untucked yesterday and was sort of surprised the way Phi2 went for Willam right off the bat. I don't know that Willam had won my total affection in that first episode, but it wasn't long after that. Funny and upbeat are hard to hate (unless you are Phi2 apparently).

I look forward with bated breath to the rest of the season's recaps from you.

The Void

The Void

Fanatic

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 8:23 PM

One of my personal favorite moments is when Sharon learns that they'll be getting their materials from DRAG QUEEN ZOMBIES. She claps her hands and smiles like a giddy little girl, haha. Everyone else is like "What the hell is Ru talking about?"/

Edited by The Void, Apr 13, 2012 @ 8:38 PM.

tommie

tommie

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 9:17 PM

Willam guested the latest Afterbuzz: http://www.youtube.c...h?v=VDrWuGOq7-E

AtlanticVamp

AtlanticVamp

Fanatic

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 9:32 PM

I saw something on the I Hate Phi Phi Ohara FB page that would make Michelle (maybe?) change her mind about Chad.

Chad doing a riff on Marilyn Manson. I think it's hot!

Traylee

Traylee

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 14, 2012 @ 1:01 PM

Even just watching her on TV I have been touched and changed... not just my vocabulary, but my approach to many things... I'm sure this is not the last we will see of her.

I feel the same way, but how strange is that? It is for me, at least. I always consider myself to be a really open-minded person but this season has really shown me to ease up on some of my judgements. I had decided that LaTrice and Sharon weren't beautiful because their drag didn't fit my definition of beautiful. Now, I feel like they're the most gorgeous by a mile.

I don't think it was quite what Sharon meant anyway - ethical maybe - not moral.

Okay, as much as I was agreeing with Sharon's critique I didn't understand the use of the word moral. That seemed a little harsh for Sharon, though not totally out of bounds, just out of character. So, I see what happened there and it makes sense. She meant ethical or unethical, which is a spot on description of Fi2.
Also, at the reunion all that righteous indignation is going to come back and smack her all up in her jaggedy, raggedy grill. It's one thing to mind your own damn business when you got some sneaky shit going on. It's quite another thing to be hollering about fairness while you're robbing a bank. That's essentially what she does.

I'm ashamed to admit that when the season first started I had a little bit of a crush on Phical because I thought he was so cute as a boy.

Me too. I thought Fi Fi was so damn pretty and I liked her because she was attractive and disliked Sharon for the exact opposite, yet equally shallow reason. My how things have changed.

I've never met a racist drag queen, and damn few racist gay folk.

In my city, there was a recent controversy in which a couple of gay bar owners were mistreating black patrons. One bar even had a FB post with a Obama depicted as a monkey. The Fairness Alliance ultimately got involved and held a few forumns to discuss it and bring to light the issues of gays discriminating against their own. Also, on this season's Survivor there was a gay man who made several openly racist comments to a black man and about an Asian woman. I mention these examples only because until recently I'd never come across a gay racist.

Also, I may be going to Hell for this, but the only queen who really identified as friends with Phi2 through the whole season was Kenya---and Kenya has a bad grip on English? Going down...

That's actually a really good point. The only person Phi2 got along with, who actually liked her, was someone who doesn't speak or understand English very well. It stands to reason that maybe Kenya didn't really grasp what an asshole Ph2 is and that's the only reason they were friends.

allegory

allegory

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 14, 2012 @ 1:24 PM

Hopefully they're not going to continue with that pattern and crown Phi Phi as the winner. Please, let the 'breaking all the rules' involve Phi Phi getting eliminated somehow.

Word to that. I thought maybe it was hyperbole for the Willam rule breaking setup but crowning Sharon AND Chad would certainly count as breaking all the rules. Even the casting was sorta rule breaking. Ru says something in interviews about this season being cast "crunchy and moist" lol. From what I recall, the application doesn't state how much prize money you get, only that there is money (and salary per episode) involved. I keep going back to the Absolute guy really disliking Sharon's drag since it's their prize money. I guess they could always drag him back for a change of heart, though. I can't realistically see Ru crowning Phi for any reason other than her drive. He couldn't possibly say it was her charisma, UNIQUENESS, nerve or talent with a straight face. And all this focus on her father is b.s, what about other queens with worse or equal stories who just didn't get it out there on the main stage. Mimi was homeless, kicked out entirely. Sharon bullied out of school. etc.Raja molested by her father in a motel, oh wait. HAHAHA.

Montavilla

Montavilla

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 14, 2012 @ 1:47 PM

Continuing with this season's retrospective...

WTF: Wrestling's Trashiest Fighters
A badonkadonk mini-challenge leads into a dragastic wrestling challenge.

Favorite Moments
Kenya jumping like a crazed rhesus monkey on the ring lines.

Sharon and Milan tongue wrestling on their way to the ring.

Favorite Lines:
Kenya: I'm going to teach you Spanish right now: Puta!

Sharon: We're selfish, vain creatures of beauty. And isn't it bizarre how we make the best friends in the world?

Favorite TH Moments:
Willam: I think I'll tuck extra tight for Rick Fox and John Salley.

Head Bitch
Although it's cut out of the main episode, Jiggly is shown in the Untucked footage attacking and belittling all the other queens. She calls Sharon and Alaska's relationship "disgusting." When Sharon confronts her, she refuses to apologize, instead fighting back like a cornered dog. On the runway, all the other queens call her out for her attitude.

Most Valuable Player
Madame LaQueer for giving us sprained ankle drama. I especially love her looks of horror at the wrestling demonstration.

Catch Phrase of the Day
Dida Ritz: Cheesecake!

Most Educational Moment
Sharon tells us to draw the shape of African when making an ass-pad.

Phi-Phi Watch
Phi-Phi does make some smart choices in choosing Latrice and Kenya for her wrestling team. She gives serious bitch face when Kenya is praised. In the Untucked, she yells at Jiggly for "using her size as a handicap."

Best Wrestlers (from the losing teams)
Latrice and Kenya are incredible.

Best Runway Look (out of the Top 3)
Again, it's hard because there's nothing spectacular. Sharon's only distinctive because it's not spooky. I guess I like Latrice and Willam's looks best.

Worst Runway Look {out of the Bottom 3)
I thought Kenya's Nicky Minaj was only so-so.

Best Judges Comment
Billy B: (to Phi-Phi) You are reading older than you need to.

John Salley: (about Dida Ritz) She was going for "Sex in the City." It was more like Sex in the Alley.
RuPaul: Okay, well I'm not going to turn that down either.

The Lip-Sync
We get our first shoeless LSFYL of the season when Lashauwn starts off by kicking off her shoes.

Untucked

Best Lines
Sharon: (to Chad) I'm such a fan of your work. And I'm such a fan of your... (indicating her face) work.

Most Intriguing TH
Sharon touches on Alaska's health without saying why she's so worried. Leaving us all to wonder what's going on.

Most Educational Moment
Chad talking about her silicone injections.

Best Personality
Latrice is amazing, telling Jiggly in no uncertain terms that she knows her pain, and that she loves Jiggly unconditionally, but that Jiggly needs to work on herself.

AtlanticVamp

AtlanticVamp

Fanatic

Posted Apr 14, 2012 @ 2:20 PM

Sharon and Milan tongue wrestling on their way to the ring.

That was cool, Montavilla, but I liked their skit in the Gold Bar better.

Sharon: ...an itch in my pubic hair!
Milan: I've got the "Snatch Scratch Fever," too.

It's just the pitiful little way Milan says it that is so endearing, I watched it over and over On Demand!

Also, I give Sharon a lot of credit for not only taking a huge "bump" in the ring, but for getting all bronzed and blonded up for it. She looked more like a real girl than anyone else in that episode.

dog lover

dog lover

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 14, 2012 @ 3:43 PM

Another gem:

RuPaul: “Where there’s smoke, there’s a pussy on fire.”

Rick Fox: “This is why I love this show.”

BlakeSpeare

BlakeSpeare

Fanatic

Posted Apr 14, 2012 @ 6:54 PM

The wrestling episode was the first episode where we heard Latrice say that she's Polynesian. I've recently heard people suggest that she was joking - did anyone else interpret it as a serious comment?

ScrubMonkey

ScrubMonkey

Fanatic

Posted Apr 14, 2012 @ 7:31 PM

did anyone else interpret it as a serious comment?

I did, and wondered if maybe she meant partly?

PorkFat

PorkFat

Fanatic

Posted Apr 14, 2012 @ 9:13 PM

I'm pretty sure Latrice was joking about being Polynesian.

And if Ru was cool with Shirley Q. Liquor, I'm sure she's okay with Sharon's Ru drag.

The Void

The Void

Fanatic

Posted Apr 15, 2012 @ 1:50 AM

Oo, RuPaul Rewind leaked two days early. I wonder if they're gonna have someone on this so that it doesn't happen again.

Blixx

Blixx

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 15, 2012 @ 2:39 AM

Were last year's top 3 in it?

The Void

The Void

Fanatic

Posted Apr 15, 2012 @ 3:28 AM

Spoiler

Edited by The Void, Apr 15, 2012 @ 3:29 AM.

Blixx

Blixx

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 15, 2012 @ 3:51 AM

I just watched Chad's youtube clips of his various TV spots as Cher...never realized that he was on so many shows before, and not once did he name drop (*cough*Willam!*cough*) while he was on the show. Though I really can't hold it against Willam, he's got talent and should let it be known.

robo192

robo192

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 15, 2012 @ 8:15 AM

Spoiler

I'm pretty sure the finale will leak early if it continues like this. The only episode that won't leak will be the reunion because, I believe, it isn't being recorded until the 25th April.

Edgeoforever

Edgeoforever

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 15, 2012 @ 12:30 PM

Spoiler

Spoiler

Willam just confirmed on a radio interview what I had surmised from episode one - that she was playing a character (Melanie Griffith/Cecil B Demento) . All the manerisms - including the name dropping were part of that. He said he viewed it as an acting job and that it took most people 6 episodes to catch on to it

ScrubMonkey

ScrubMonkey

Fanatic

Posted Apr 15, 2012 @ 12:35 PM

He said he viewed it as an acting job and that it took most people 6 episodes to catch on to it

Willam if you are reading this I hope you know I caught on immediately... scroll back and see. Heh

The only episode that won't leak will be the reunion because, I believe, it isn't being recorded until the 25th April.

When does it actually air? I don't remember seeing that anywhere. I don't usually watch live Tv (and I FF through commercials) so I don't catch most blurbs.

Jensmom

Jensmom

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 15, 2012 @ 3:45 PM

I think a lot of viewers "got" that Willam was in character by the second week. The first week I was amused, but it did take me til the second to see the true genius behind the scenes. I will also always maintain Willam was a ringer so that Ru could keep those she wanted to keep/heighten the drama. That being said, I think someone should have stopped Phi2. I don't think he realized how far he went and just how much people now really dislike him. Saying now "it was all for show" is too little too late. Asking to make peace with those who he insulted and irritated, again, too little, too late. I almost feel bad for him.

evilandproud

evilandproud

Stalker

Posted Apr 15, 2012 @ 5:14 PM

That being said, I think someone should have stopped Phi2. I don't think he realized how far he went and just how much people now really dislike him. Saying now "it was all for show" is too little too late. Asking to make peace with those who he insulted and irritated, again, too little, too late. I almost feel bad for him.

I don't. She realized she couldn't get by on talent or style so she decided to be a rank, awful, rancid bitch to get some camera time and she should take whatever backlash comes with that. Saying it was "all for show" is such a lame cop out. Acting like an evil, hypocritical, scum bag "for show" is almost as stupid as being that awful naturally. I don't believe she was doing anything "for show" in the first place though and I think she deserves to get read to filth every damn day for the crap she pulled.

dirtybubble

dirtybubble

Fanatic

Posted Apr 15, 2012 @ 5:26 PM

Spoiler

Spoiler

Edited by dirtybubble, Apr 15, 2012 @ 5:28 PM.