RuPaul's Drag Race

• Please log in to reply

14252 replies to this topic

allegory

allegory

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 12, 2012 @ 7:36 AM

Ru might declare a tie between Chad and Sharon--wouldn't that be a killer way to end the season?

Her reasoning could be that comparing Chad and Sharon is like comparing apples and oranges--what a tame comparison,by the way!--and that the styles of both queens represent the present and future of drag at its best.

I would looove this!

THIS. While it's a problem with the prize money, and probably won't happen, it should. Just like they said on the judges panel (I forget which guest judge said it). The ultimate blend of both queens strengths into one complete Superstar! And showing the fans that two different types of queens can compete without drama towards each other, forge a sisterhood not a rivalry, co-exist for $100K respecting and admiring each other's art and be role models for fans. I don't think they're all that different, really in their core. Just stylistically. Yes Sharon braver and definitely further out of the box than Chad, so 10s for that. But Chad has used his slightly less edgy side to create a strong career and didn't end up pidgeon-holed in just bars that cater to that edgy style ONLY and limit your career.

I don't know Chad's full body of work IRL, but going by the SHOW, they seem to be equal in character acting and I'd give Chad a slightly higher or equal grade for just his acting on the show.

They do realized characters, artistic interpretations even. They're nice people with empathy. They have interest in other people, not just mouthing off about themselves until someone asks , and even then they seem reluctant to complain and never whine about their experiences. There's a difference between stating the facts about your life and carrying on about it at the top of your lungs battling for "most impressive sob story". There's value in the entertaining jumping around lipsingers and amazing dancers that get the bar going.But I don't think that qualifies for a Superstar in Ru's image if you can't articulate or embody a message.

I'm watching Willam. He hasn't once thanked fans, tweeted anything positive about his experiences, and been playing to his gigs, music, and "voting" since being on the show. Yes he's tweeted jokes etc. But I think you get more fans, support, and following with being somehow emotionally open with the public in reality tv.

Conversely, Pical has never once tweeted ANYTHING interesting and spens all her social media time warring with detractors, retweeting fan support messages, and repeatedly sticking up for herself that "that's not really me". Deep, girl. Yesterday she retweeted a fan comment about Chad and nursing homes. Classy.

Sharon is a smart, professional bitch (even though she pretends otherwise lol) and her line of merch is growing daily and excellent. She's the first RPDR alumnus who really is working it big time. Her merch sites seem polished, humorous, and professional. I give her BIG props for working her 15 minutes, hopefully growing into 15 years if that's what she wants.

If RuPaul selects Phical, I'll call it a mid life crisis because in no way does she REMOTELY have a single quality that RuPaul EVER had in his entire life. And watching his old videos, he was nice. When he was a gogo boy he didn't even trash the patrons grabbing his junk and treating him like meat, he just laughed it off and said how tired he was at the end of the night. Phical has no idea what used to be involved "clawing her way to the top" if she thinks jumping around lipsyncing is a monumental struggle.

Phical says she'll deal with being wise when she's 40 and not interested in growing NOW. RuPaul should say the same thing. "Later, girl. I'll call ya."

Edited by allegory, Apr 12, 2012 @ 7:41 AM.

Deathbyblonde

Deathbyblonde

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 12, 2012 @ 9:09 AM

She does NOT look like a real black woman to this black woman. I might not call that blackface, but I have to say that look is borderline if I'm being generous. I get that drag is about pushing buttons, but for me that's a bit too close to the edge. I like Sharon, but if I went to one of her shows and she came out in that, I'd walk out. The glaring red lips, the one color, extremely dark face is very cartoony to me.

Like Chad, Sharon is known for portraying characters, except unlike Chad she chooses characters that are beyond convention. I feel like she's trying to be edgy, not offensive. Who knows, I could be entirely wrong, but from the personality we've seen of her on tv it doesn't seem like it would be in Sharon's nature to do a character that could come across as offensive and alienate her with the audience.

Also, I just need to throw in how much I hate the double standard that exists with this. Say this had been Dida Ritz piling on white powder and portraying some ditzy blonde bimbo, or maybe playing it up to be trailer park white trash. No one would question there being any ulterior motive other than the fact that she was playing a character. Yet Sharon paints herself darker and suddenly there's an underlying racist tone to it. What if she styled herself to look Jewish? Or came out in a full-on burka? There might be some murmuring but no one would make as big of a deal about it as this. It's very much a selective discretion and I don't think it's fair to apply it to one person if it's not going to be applied to everyone across the board.

Okay, I love Sharon Needles but 1) It doesn't matter the intention of the person doing it, black-face is black-face. What makes things offensive or racist isn't necessarily someone's intention - most people who do racist shit don't do it thinking, "Oh, this is because I hate black people" - it's the impact of what was done. And Sharon is smart enough to know what black-face is and why it fucking sucks and is racist as hell, so it's disappointing that she would choose to use it in an attempt to be edgy. It's not hers to appropriate and it's like, white people engaging in racist traditions is hardly as edgy as so many people seem to think it is. 2) Dida Ritz pretending to be white "trailer-trash" is not comparable to black-face. I'm sorry, but we do not live in some sort of racial vacuum. Black folks do not have a history of oppressing white people through minstrel shows and doing so doesn't re-enforce systematic racism that already exists against white people. Black-face is an actual thing, not just something made up to make white people feel guilty. If Dida Ritz were to dress up in "white-face", sure, it'd probably be tacky as hell, but it's not at all the same as black-face.

I love Sharon Needles, but you can like and admire someone and still be critical when they do offensive shit.

allegory

allegory

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 12, 2012 @ 9:40 AM

Okay, I love Sharon Needles but 1) It doesn't matter the intention of the person doing it, black-face is black-face. What makes things offensive or racist isn't necessarily someone's intention - most people who do racist shit don't do it thinking, "Oh, this is because I hate black people" - it's the impact of what was done.

I agree with this. When I saw the full body stage photo of Sharon doing Ru, I had no problems with it because it just looked like a darker golden shade of foundation and she actually looked EXACTLY like Ru to me on this computer. If you look at Ru on tv in the dog challenge for example presenting the challenge on the camera in drag with the dog hints she is in a golden skin tone exactly matching that photo. (I know it's not about the actual color, just sayin, tho)

When I see the OTHER headshot dark makeup photo posted (don't know where or when it was done) it's blackface with orange lipstick. Now, I may personally think "Oh jeeze how immature and stupid". But I'm completely understanding how the impact of it brings up the entire history of black-face and if I were African American, I'd be not only annoyed but thinking "JFC can you just leave us alone for a change?!"

Yes it isn't her's to appropriate EVEN if in her mind, she's making a STATEMENT against black-face. (I'm stretching her intention here, I have no idea of context having only seen the photo). Perhaps Ru would support that "statement" and perhaps not. I'm not in his head. Visage has tweeted the n word offends her when asked directly about Sharon's use of it.

I may be in the minority in this, and the show is the show and technically what they do off the show probably is irrelevant but if I'm not getting the REAL "Superstar" then I'm not ultimately a devoted fan of the winner. OBV mileage varies. I would have preferred a peek into Sharon's real act on tv. Like when she disputed Chad NICELY discussing we have a platform here to influence the public.

Ironically, hate-to-say-it PhiPhi was trying to do that with her political character and was ripped for it. (and wasn't very good at it, but still)

Being a Lambert follower I totally get that you can destroy your mainstream career with the wrong move on tv. But if you're claiming [whatever] realness you say you embody, let's see some of it, instead of dripping blood out of your mouth, or wearing a scram bracelet, or other benign unoffensive stuff.

Maybe Sharon is going to give up the easily controversial real shock act if she gets famous with RPDR, or at least for the year she's under contract after the show. I'm ok with that. Everybody makes trade offs to earn a living.

AgingGoth

AgingGoth

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 12, 2012 @ 9:52 AM

to clarify what blackface really is and why it is different from what Sharon is doing, here is a pice of al joson doing actual blackface JOLSON This is not what Sharon was doing she is just applying her own drag asthetic to a character. I am an (rather ancient) black woman and was alround when Al Jolson was famous and I felt that was most offensive. there is no comparison.

impqueen

impqueen

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 12, 2012 @ 9:53 AM

I love Sharon Needles, but you can like and admire someone and still be critical when they do offensive shit.

We each have a right to feel offense from time to time. Phi Phi offended me with her badly done "The Help" joke. She was trying to be edgy and play with a stereotype of a white, accidentally-bigoted politician, and she failed epically, I thought. Do I think she's a racist? No. I think she's a raucous bitch with extreme anger issues and a poorly developed sense of humor. She failed because she wasn't funny - not because the stereotype of insensitive white bitch was untrue.

Similarly, Sharon Needles has played with racial issues in her work. I think she's funny and edgy - YMMV. She's worn Nazi regalia and a Confederate flag at times. Is that offensive? Sure. And part of what she is doing is to make us feel that offense. But it's a lot less effective to give a dissertation on how the Nazis and the KKK also hate (and kill) gay and trans people than it is to throw on a costume and wear the symbol. To me, it's clear that Sharon is throwing the upside down triangle in a Nazi's face. Yes, she's white. She's also gay, and not in a sorta gay way. Do we reallllly think Aryan Nation would hold out their arms and be grateful for Sharon's wearing of their dress-up outfits? Of course not. More likely they'd throw a brick through her car window.... oh, wait. That was a white stupid chick yelling "Sharon Needles is a racist" who did that. But you can bet the str8 white boys from the Southern Heritage Store in Branson (where I live, help me Jesus) would not appreciate Sharon's message.

Drag plays with gender roles. It's a short leap to other societal uncomfiness from drag. As long as they're making us look at stereotypes, I don't see the issue in making us look at all of them. RuPaul did it herself in a Confederate flag dress. I think Latrice said it well when, referring to DiDa's concern about eating chicken, she said, "You're a dude. In a wig. It's not that serious."

Sorry for the TL;DR, but this does remind me of when Adam Lambert wore a Nazi symbol on a vest. People did not get what he was doing, because they forgot that as a gay Jew he'd have been murdered in the Holocaust. I've never met a racist drag queen, and damn few racist gay folk. They have enough to deal with without the concern of other people's melanin content. If Ru can deal, as a black gay man, so can I, as a white-appearing multiracial heteroflexible fruit fly. But if you wanna feel offended, that is completely your right, and I support that.

Lucifyr

Lucifyr

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 12, 2012 @ 10:03 AM

Regarding the Sharon Needles blackface issue... Here's a pic of me from 2007 dressed as an iPod commercial. Was this racist blackface? I know my intent wasn't and I know that I didn't receive any blowback from it, despite being the 'host' at a bar for that night..

But lets let the internets decide...

https://twitter.com/#!/thelukep/status/190453959096410113/photo/1

allegory

allegory

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 12, 2012 @ 10:05 AM

Sorry for the TL;DR, but this does remind me of when Adam Lambert wore a Nazi symbol on a vest.

LOL yeah. That TINY little barely visible "probable" symbol , that could have been the Hindu or Chinese symbol reference, that you needed a magnifying glass to see on his TOUR STAGE costume, right? And the drama that ensued!

http://allieiswired....astika_jacket2/

Edited by allegory, Apr 12, 2012 @ 10:28 AM.

AgingGoth

AgingGoth

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 12, 2012 @ 10:24 AM

but this does remind me of when Adam Lambert wore a Nazi symbol on a vest.

Actually that is also a Jewish symbol for protection I believe against demons. I also have Jewish cousins who put this symbol on the wall of their allegedly haunted house.

Here's a pic of me from 2007 dressed as an iPod commercial. Was this racist blackface? I know my intent wasn't and I know that I didn't receive any blowback from it, despite being the 'host' at a bar for that night..

But lets let the internets decide...

https://twitter.com/...6410113/photo/1

I feel this is just a character as well I do not see any racist connotations about it at all, especially sin you were portraying an inanimate object

Edited by AgingGoth, Apr 12, 2012 @ 11:15 AM.

Maleficent

Maleficent

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 12, 2012 @ 12:06 PM

to clarify what blackface really is and why it is different from what Sharon is doing, here is a pice of al joson doing actual blackface JOLSON This is not what Sharon was doing she is just applying her own drag asthetic to a character.

Well, blackface has evolved since then. Take a look at this. Sadly, blackface has evolved, so oddly that some fashion magazines have put their white models in black makeup and called it their black 'month'. So odd and oddly unaware.

I like Sharon and though I don't know her or her intentions, I don't think she's a racist. She seems to want this controversy, so she should have it...along with people slamming her for her choices.

What has offended me the most is that pic with her painted up with orange lipstick. She's a damn good makeup artist and that's the best she can do? That makeup was awful, so I can see why people see blackface in that.

When they used to shut down Castro for Halloween, there were these drag queens that used to dress up as The Supremes and sing. Not only did they sound beautiful, these white queens looked on point. Their makeup, their outfit and their singing was obviously paying homage and they did it well.

I saw the pic of Sharon doing Ru and I have no issue with that. She went there and she looked on point. But the Facebook pic seems off. She's obviously not Ru and her makeup is not good at all.

I feel this is just a character as well I do not see any racist connotations about it at all, especially sin you were portraying an inanimate object

Yep, inanimate object, not backface. The grey area (which she creates herself) comes from the fact that Sharon is creating a human character. I don't know what the intentions were behind the character. Things have evolved since the days of Jolson and the Jazz Singer (1927)and to those who really can't understand where Sharon is going with her 'characters' it's easily understandable that they get offended. She is purposefully pushing those buttons.

Honestly, I wish she'd just come out and make a statement about it. Her career has elevated to a new level and if she wants to continue to grow her marketability, she should at least come out and say something about the type of drag she does when not on RPDR.

If she's already done this, can someone link it? I'd appreciate it, because I really like Sharon and would really hate to think she's anything but the acidic sweetheart she is on the show.

ETA: Now that I think about it and this just might be the cynic in me, but maybe it's Sharon make sure people are paying attention to all of these pictures. I can just picture her skimming through the internet and thinking to herself 'they're all talking about either Willam or Phi2...hmmm, how to change that?'

lol

Edited by Maleficent, Apr 12, 2012 @ 12:14 PM.

MaryWebGirl

MaryWebGirl

Fanatic

Posted Apr 12, 2012 @ 12:27 PM

Her reasoning could be that comparing Chad and Sharon is like comparing apples and oranges--what a tame comparison,by the way!

Perhaps guns and butter works better?

hatchlynn

hatchlynn

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 12, 2012 @ 1:51 PM

Sorry for the TL;DR, but this does remind me of when Adam Lambert wore a Nazi symbol on a vest. People did not get what he was doing, because they forgot that as a gay Jew he'd have been murdered in the Holocaust.

That "Nazi symbol" was an illegible scribble visible only via magnifying glass on a costume provided him by tour wardrobe department. Had not his detractors come up with the idea to try and trash him over it the topic never would have come up.
I'm looking at you, Rickey.
So no, not a statement of any sort.

scarlet1815

scarlet1815

Fanatic

Posted Apr 12, 2012 @ 2:08 PM

Context is everything. I don't think the Ru characterization would fall into blackface, but the other pic is questionable without knowing what the actual performance was. If she was embodying the LIPS from Rocky Horror performing "Science Fiction Double Feature", then she is trying to create a void where nothing but the lips stand out and it is not really tied to black people. If she is trying to create a silhouette person from the commercial like Lucifyr was, that's not really blackface either. If she was trying to create a character from an alien planet or hidden creature from the depths of a cave or whatever, probably not blackface. But a standalone picture like that, void of context, is definitely questionable and bound to make folks uncomfortable, so an explanation of her intent or video from the performance would be helpful.

However, I do want to separate "doing something racist" from "being a racist." Jay Smooth of Ill Doctrine did a good vlog about it. People can do things that can be considered racist even if they themselves do not harbor racist feelings. Judging her personality on the show, Sharon doesn't appear to harbor racist feelings, but if she was doing actual blackface in her act, she shouldn't be surprised to be called out for doing something that's racist. If the context WASN'T actual blackface but a different type of character that happened to use shoepolish paint, then she would have legitimate reason to be upset at having accusations of racism lobbed at her. Sharon has indicated that she likes to use her drag to provoke, but that's a dangerous game that can easily go wrong. Even with the really sharp mind and thoughtful process required to do it well (which I feel she generally possesses), in the end she can't control how her audience responds to it or whether they are even sophisticated enough to get the layers she was going for. Just ask Dave Chappelle.

As for PhiPhi's "The Help" comment, it was uncomfortable not because she had racist intent in saying it, but because she failed to land the joke since she wasn't talented enough to pull it off. If she were as good at portraying a character as Sharon and Chad were, she would know that a 2012 racist-southern-conservative pol in a televised debate wouldn't shows that racism quite so OVERTLY. They employ dog-whistle language instead, and their more racist shit tends to come out inadvertently in rallies they hold where they don't expect cameras or scrutiny, like the George Allen Macaca incident. If she'd layered her performance to have dog-whistle stuff in the early going and get more and more overt and outlandish as the event went on, then folks might've laughed at the Help joke while simultaneously covering their mouths in an "I can't believe she went there!" kind of way. But because she is just not good at characters (see Gaga) the joke fell flat on its face. Her bigger problem is her overall general failing - that she Absolut(e)ly refuses to ever admit a fault or mistake, and is never willing to own up to something. If she had a scintilla of self-reflection and cogent thought behind her drag, she would've said "The character I was going for was supposed to be the kind of person who would say racist shit like that, but that joke didn't land nearly as well as I'd hoped. Please know that I said it in guise of the character and it wasn't directed at you or a reflection of my actual feelings." But she has demonstrated time and time again that she has zero self-awareness.

Having said all that, I'd like to respond to this:

I've never met a racist drag queen, and damn few racist gay folk.

You're lucky not to have met many racist gay folks, but they exist, just like homophobic black people exist, misogynist gay folks, blacks who hate asians, asians who hate blacks, latinos who hate both, etc. ad nauseum. As much as we would like to think that people who have been oppressed would have sympathy/empathy for others who have had similar struggles, being a minority doesn't automatically make you like/appreciate/respect/empathize with other minorities. I have seen some really offensive shit posted on Facebook by people who would consider themselves above reproach because they're a minority of some kind, too.

The Void

The Void

Fanatic

Posted Apr 12, 2012 @ 3:28 PM

Context is everything. I don't think the Ru characterization would fall into blackface, but the other pic is questionable without knowing what the actual performance was. If she was embodying the LIPS from Rocky Horror performing "Science Fiction Double Feature", then she is trying to create a void where nothing but the lips stand out and it is not really tied to black people. If she is trying to create a silhouette person from the commercial like Lucifyr was, that's not really blackface either. If she was trying to create a character from an alien planet or hidden creature from the depths of a cave or whatever, probably not blackface. But a standalone picture like that, void of context, is definitely questionable and bound to make folks uncomfortable, so an explanation of her intent or video from the performance would be helpful.

That image (which can be seen here) looks as though it could have been taken a long time ago. Her makeup is rather sloppy compared to what we normally see from her.

Also apparently Sharon will be performing at Spin (Jade, Dida, and Phi Phi's home club) pretty soon. That should be interesting.

ScrubMonkey

ScrubMonkey

Fanatic

Posted Apr 12, 2012 @ 3:39 PM

I wish Sharon herself would weigh in on what she was going for when she wore the dark makeup and hair with red lips. Personally I see that look as the opposite of her all-white on white look, similar to what she wore in the poodle challenge. And I guess offensiveness is in the eye of the beholder because why is it not offensive to say "white trash?"

If she wants her lips to stand out and the lips in Rocky Horror were on a totally black (color, not race) background, then in a closeup her lips would look just like those lips. Are colors racist in themselves? Does intention not matter? To me it matters completely. Because a belief is part of intention and the belief she supposedly has is what people are dinging her for.

Re: the latest episode. At one point, it's really quick, but the camera cuts to Latrice and Fifi kibbitzing in the work room. Latrice looks serious and like she was nodding; FiFi looks like she was just talking. I already wondered if a poison bug didn't whisper in Latrice's ear to make her say bad things about Sharon's abilities - that just solidified my hunch. I think FiFi was telling Latrice things like Sharon didn't hem her clothes, hoping Latrice would repeat it and the judges would buy it. I know I'm only guessing all that but, if so, that's really lame. And I am sorry Latrice fell for that. I don't see her noticing negative things about others on her own, though. She seems to be above that and into her own journey more. (Whereas Fical is OBSESSED with what others are doing. Constantly.)

Lucifyr

Lucifyr

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 12, 2012 @ 4:01 PM

So Sharon Needles is coming back to Spin ... second time in a very short timeframe... wonder what that means...
https://www.facebook...&type=1

what I find super interesting, is usually they have other queens on the poster too.. at least Jade, she's like the defacto emcee

if you look at the page for Spin Nightclub Chicago on Facebook, you'll see the other posters.. and some surprisingly good pictures of Phisees although she's very thick

ETA . also interestingly enough, Sharon, Latrice, Dida and Phisees are all going to be at the Parliament House in Orlando this weekend.

Edited by Lucifyr, Apr 12, 2012 @ 4:17 PM.

Maleficent

Maleficent

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 12, 2012 @ 4:47 PM

That's a siq pic of Sharon Lucifyr. I wish I could see her and the rest of the queens. I'm still waiting for one of these bitches (especially Shannel) to come to Portland.

Btw, I just saw an old tourbook of Cher's concert from a ways back and there is this Cher impersonator in there. I recall the impersonator coming out on stage lip syncing then Cher coming out in the middle of the song and standing side by side with the impersonator, who was much taller to my surprise. Eventually she slid down a giant high heel sow and the world was a more wonderful place for it.

I wonder if that was Chad. I would think so, since he is the most famous Cher impersonator in the world. I even remember trying to see him in Vegas back in the day and couldn't because it was sold out.

pomme de divan

pomme de divan

Fanatic

Posted Apr 12, 2012 @ 5:10 PM

I heard that Sharon & Phi buried the hatchet and that pretty much all of the girls from DR at least tolerate each other-if not get along.
So I'm not surprised to hear that SN and PhPh are performing together.
Money is money, honey.

ETA don't know if Chad performed with Cher, but he also does a stellar Joan Crawford.

Edited by pomme de divan, Apr 12, 2012 @ 5:18 PM.

SiameseCatLady

SiameseCatLady

Fanatic

Posted Apr 12, 2012 @ 5:11 PM

I don't think Sharon's RuPaul can be called blackface nor her blackening her face if she was doing the Lips from Rocky Horror. Everyone must remember that Sharon comes from a punk rock type of background and this is her attitude. Many of the early punks, in London and New York, wore or wrote material about many controversial symbols like the swastika or Nazis not because they were Nazis or that was what they believed in, but to shock people by demystifying it and then show how ridiculous those beliefs were - to take the power out of the symbol. That would be my impression of seeing Sharon in something Nazi/swastika or confederate flag-related, she's demeaning or demystifying it through a character, song, etc., not that she's promoting it.

allegory

allegory

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 12, 2012 @ 5:14 PM

So if Sharon was doing Rocky from Rocky Horror I'm more confused. Rocky was, from what I remember, a fair haired pale boy who actually resembles Sharon as a boy. And in that pic she has hair that seems it could be ethnic too? I haven't been to it in many years but was there any part in the show with him or anybody else wearing black makeup? I think it just gets written off as Sharon trying to be interesting in her mind and doing something that she never thought would be getting national attention. Black face makeup on a Caucasian character. She seems the type to be for lack of a better term, preoccupied with this type of thought. Like saying Hail Satan as some type of social statement, when she saw Islamic protesters on TV referencing Allah, and turned that around to equate with our common expression of OMG and other actual religious references in our everyday language.I don't see the comparison considering you don't witness thousands of Americans out in the street like that, but that's her prerogative.

Aside from Manila and the Asian drama I guess this escandalo is a first on RPDR.

ETA: Ok well if it was Sharon doing the Rocky Horror lips then the whole discussion seems moot to me. I guess if I wasn't there I'll never know what happened :)

Edited by allegory, Apr 12, 2012 @ 5:20 PM.

The Void

The Void

Fanatic

Posted Apr 12, 2012 @ 5:35 PM

Aside from Manila and the Asian drama I guess this escandalo is a first on RPDR.

I guess so. Sharon's also the first 'creepy queen' that Ru's let onto the show as well, I think.

Interesting to note that Sharon removed her comments from that one Facebook conversation about Alaska being a racist. I wonder if she was told to do it by a PR agent or something because she doesn't seem like the type to do that.

Edited by The Void, Apr 12, 2012 @ 5:37 PM.

ScrubMonkey

ScrubMonkey

Fanatic

Posted Apr 12, 2012 @ 6:10 PM

I know a lot of life changes can happen in those 10-15 years but that is all there is between most of the queens and Chad. The nursing home jokes are kind of weird. I mean, when they are not just jokes. That really is not a lot of time between them. 40 will be there for all of them before they can blink twice. Here's a news flash for them: It feels no different than twenty. Mainly you learn some restraint and who (or what) to avoid. There is no big iron gate that drops down once you pass 39. This culture is so age-phobic!

I think Chad looks great, in drag he's beautiful, and he's very fit. So I think some were just looking for any chink in his armor. And Fee, 25 is no excuse for acting ignorant. And you are not going to suddenly become wise and temperate in ten years. There is no magic potion to go from juvenile twit to sage. The time flies by in a minute.

Blixx

Blixx

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 12:20 AM

Spoiler

AtlanticVamp

AtlanticVamp

Fanatic

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 12:38 AM

I actually am really looking forward to the Clip show on Monday. Clip shows are my favorite episode each season, aside from the audition episode in Season 3. I like seeing the audition videos, the bloopers, and the behind-the-scenes stuff, which is nicer than the episodic storylines built around the challenges. I'd like to see some of the outtakes from this season, as long as they don't linger too long on the fights. I'm really over all the fights, including/especially "Party City".

Blixx,

Spoiler

Edited by AtlanticVamp, Apr 13, 2012 @ 12:39 AM.

YoureSoUrban

YoureSoUrban

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 1:12 AM

Phical is a MESS. I threw my hands in the air in disgust when HE started bitching about there being no outfits that can be based on a bloodhound. I immediately thought of English gentry-tweed realness. How about Sherlock Holmes-y trench with the little cape around the shoulders.

That would have been brilliant. But I agree, Phi2's tiny brain couldn't wrap around a real concept. They fed her that anime realness bone; girl was just copying Kenya.

I'm sad to see Latrice go but as she learned from Ru I feel she's given me some lessons about dreams and choices. Pay it forward, sista.

They missed meeting Dita von Teese. THE Dita von Teese. She radiated more glamour and killa style in her 3 minutes on screen than we saw this entire season. And ain't no way in the world you would catch me arguing about something as inconsequential unsalvagable as Phi2's moral code if Dita von Teese was within a 50 mile radius. Luv huh.

Blixx

Blixx

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 1:52 AM

Spoiler

Spoiler

tessa261

tessa261

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 8:05 AM

Okay, I love Sharon Needles but 1) It doesn't matter the intention of the person doing it, black-face is black-face. What makes things offensive or racist isn't necessarily someone's intention - most people who do racist shit don't do it thinking, "Oh, this is because I hate black people" - it's the impact of what was done. And Sharon is smart enough to know what black-face is and why it fucking sucks and is racist as hell, so it's disappointing that she would choose to use it in an attempt to be edgy. It's not hers to appropriate and it's like, white people engaging in racist traditions is hardly as edgy as so many people seem to think it is. 2) Dida Ritz pretending to be white "trailer-trash" is not comparable to black-face. I'm sorry, but we do not live in some sort of racial vacuum. Black folks do not have a history of oppressing white people through minstrel shows and doing so doesn't re-enforce systematic racism that already exists against white people. Black-face is an actual thing, not just something made up to make white people feel guilty. If Dida Ritz were to dress up in "white-face", sure, it'd probably be tacky as hell, but it's not at all the same as black-face.

Thank you.

On another note - does anyone know how I can watch the show online internationally (free)? The last one I saw before I left was Frock the Vote

dirtybubble

dirtybubble

Fanatic

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 10:34 AM

I actually am really looking forward to the Clip show on Monday. Clip shows are my favorite episode each season, aside from the audition episode in Season 3. I like seeing the audition videos, the bloopers, and the behind-the-scenes stuff, which is nicer than the episodic storylines built around the challenges. I'd like to see some of the outtakes from this season, as long as they don't linger too long on the fights. I'm really over all the fights, including/especially "Party City".

WORD! I like the clip show episodes as well. Its fun to see the queens just actin' silly and having fun. Its also nice to see the queens that left too early. Hopefully there will be alot of fun, interesting scenes with The Princess! Lawd I miss her.

It looks like Sharon did an audition tape with Alaska in it so that will be fun to see as well. I wish Logo would post all the queens audition tapes so we can see them anytime we want. BTW--did I see correctly, was Willam dressed as Smurfette for his tape? I think I read on his blog that when trying out for RPDR you have to do an impersonation of somebody famous and he said he had done Smurfette.

Yeah enuff with the Party City stuff but they'll probably touch on it again. But at least it wasn't as bad as last year's Heathers vs. Boogers nightmare.<BR><BR>

Edited by dirtybubble, Apr 13, 2012 @ 10:36 AM.

AtlanticVamp

AtlanticVamp

Fanatic

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 11:09 AM

Yeah enuff with the Party City stuff but they'll probably touch on it again. But at least it wasn't as bad as last year's Heathers vs. Boogers nightmare.

I have to say that although others have claimed that the only one who took the "Heathers" concept seriously was Delta, Manila and Carmen seemed to have it in mind that it was a "thing" too. IMO, Raja was the only one who kept it moving.

Also, I may be going to Hell for this, but the only queen who really identified as friends with Phi2 through the whole season was Kenya---and Kenya has a bad grip on English? Going down...

tommie

tommie

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 12:32 PM

Someone put forward an interesting thought on another forum I frequent - but Phi Phi has this Rockethub page where she's trying to get funding for her debut single - would she really do that if she won? I guess she could just be a cheap bitch but it does seem a bit iffy that she couldn't take a few thousand dollars out of her own pocket if she just won 100 000 dollars.

Sharon on the other hand has a pretty professional website and I guess it depends on when the commercial for season 4 was shot, but the same designer jacket that Madonna wears in one of her latest videos - Sharon doesn't strike me as someone who would go all out on designer wear before, so could it be that she spent some of her money on new clothes and a website?

Edited by tommie, Apr 13, 2012 @ 12:38 PM.

makesnosense

makesnosense

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 12:36 PM

I can only base my opinion on what I've seen on the show, but I was never that impressed by Princess. The tatts bothered me from the word go (and that's just personal taste) and there were flashes of an appealing personality, but in challenges and during Untucked, all I saw was someone distinctly uncomfortable and uneasy. Ru must have seen something there to cast her and for all I know, she's a masterful performer in the right arena, but for me, she just faded into the woodwork and the early exit was not in the least surprising or unmerited.