• Please log in to reply

14217 replies to this topic

pomme de divan

pomme de divan

Fanatic

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 1:33 PM

Phi is not without some talent or fans.
Her drag is not my cup of tea.
Retched personality aside, I find her to be not funny & bland.

My ultimate test for Queens on this show is: would I pay money to see them perform?
Sharon, Chad & Latrice: Hell Yes!
Phi? I'll pass thank you.

allegory

allegory

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 1:48 PM

I really cannot agree with this statement as the Raja clique had formed long before the Healther crap started.

Yes I forgot there are two schools of thought on that so I probably should have not referenced it.

I'm sure she's had to claw her way up to where she was in the Drag World before she got on the show. It might have been a pretty vicious struggle.

To me, it's one thing to have a vicious struggle to be an Optician and try and get work as a drag queen at bars. I'm not sure what that is, probably other queens fighting you but I'll give her that.

But to be this Superstar title, I look for depth of experience that created character traits and some life wisdom outside of your drag ENTERTAINMENT (work) goal. Tyra had some at a young age being a homeless parent and only what, 20? She put her head down and worked at apparently the only thing she was good at. Sharon has it. Chad has it. Latrice has it and others. Manila has none of it. She had a relatively great life before and just wanted to change her creative outlet. She's never serious about LGBT except to promote nicely because she is an example of fortunate and disciplined, getting a graphics art career and doing drag for a hobby.

Raja referenced "it was a treacherous journey" creating a successful life. This is because he was in a relationship for 5 years essentially living as a woman for his partner and could have lost his real needs/identity. It's in his Queerty interview, never discussed on the show. Carmen is at that point now, IMO. The confusion of finding your identity. Like Chad Bono going from Lesbian to Trans and not have a real role model or support system for a long time. He's trying to be that now for others.

So Phi2 having a mean dad doesn't qualify for me. I think she also mentioned the dad left the entire family? Join the club. Mariah has NO family only her ballroom Balenciaga family. The best Phi can "inspire" is "Work really hard and tear down anything and anybody in your way". No. There's life outside of being a showgirl and India is finding it out now.

Edited by allegory, Apr 11, 2012 @ 2:04 PM.

buttercupia

buttercupia

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 2:11 PM

To her credit, Manila will be the first one to tell you she was incredibly lucky and privileged growing up, having a supportive family and little strife compared to many of the other queens.

Phi2 is just a brat. She's a little orange ball of anger, insecurity, and self-loathing. She has dug her grave this season and I hope she enjoys the view because if Chad shuts her out, as kind as Chad is, well...

Just visited the wikipedia page for season four and thankfully it's been locked. From the history page it looks like it was a royal mess for a good long time, though.

ScrubMonkey

ScrubMonkey

Fanatic

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 2:30 PM

I see Fi as being her warring parents locked in one body for all time. (Of course, she has the key.) In drag Fi is artsy craftsy egotistical toxic alpha female. The type who rules her local kaffee klatsch through fear. Out of drag he is foul tempered and foul mouthed and abusive. It's all supposition of course but the bits he has shared of his childhood seem to underscore my hunch those are his parents' personalities. He has not only not integrated them yet he has not even identified them. He's miles away at this point in his life, from being a whole, integrated, independent personality all his own. He should take a summer off and stock up on Jung.

There is no way he can win Drag Race - if he does he needs to abdicate, because everywhere he goes, people will throw rotten tomatoes at him. That's the crop he's sown himself. As others (including RuPaul) have noted too, you don't have to win RPDR to get a career out of it. Fi has royally screwed himself over on that issue. How much self loathing is in that action?

Of all the queens this season, who would you most want to be best buds (I guess I should say BFFs!) with?

Let's see...If I could hang with any? This is gonna be long...

Alisa, no way, I don't drink. LaShaun, seems too young/immature for me. I could have a nice lunch with The Princess at Inn of the Seventh Ray. Milan, I'd meet at a coffeehouse somewhere and talk shop (theater stuff.) I bet she's done Repertory. Kenya, like LaShauwn I have no idea what we'd talk about. Maybe she could give me makeup lessons. Madame LaQueer I'd take to a nice dinner at a fancy place and just let her talk for a solid hour. I have a feeling she could. DiDa Ritz I'd want to know who she's auditioning for this week because I know her phone's got to be ringing. I'd dish about my own early experiences in case she could learn anything from my mistakes. She would be a fun lunch she's young and full of energy. (Any of these would be in or out of drag meetings by the way, their choice.) Jiggly I can imagine hanging with at (someone's) home, she reminds me a lot of friends I had in my 20s. Down for anything especially just silly fun. Not overly critical of her own circle. I think that's something that was missed about her. Willam, I flove, but I can't hang with L.A. cool I feel dowdy. In my 20s yes. But even then it wouldn't be me. I feel Willam is probably sweet in real life but we didn't get to know who she is inside on RPDR (which as an audience member is fine w/me because I'm there to be entertained. Which she gives all and then some.) I would love to have lunch somewhere shabby chic with her though (meeting us both halfway) and ask her all about designers. I wish I'd been smart enough to designer up when I was her age. Why not make the best of what you got while you got it. Chad I don't really feel any affinity for, again she's a wonderful actor, but who is she? I have a feeling she'd talk politics because for all her professed maturity and reserve she loves to get fired up. (I hate politics.) Latrice, I'd go to the mall with. Due to some unfortunate health setbacks I need a new wardrobe and Girlfriend carries herself very well. She'd be informal and down for whatever if that's how her day was being spent she'd make it fun. (I don't think I could hang with her for partying - I bet she parties hearty.) I think she'd make me laugh and smile all damn day. But my bestie would probably be Sharon. Not only is she a ringer in looks and voice and personality for my high school bestie but I love her spirit. She seems non judgmental, smart, witty, (not that any of the above don't have at least some of that) and fiercely loyal. Once you are in her family you are there for life. You could be nerd, cool, fat, thin, ugly, pretty, loud, quiet, drunk, sober, famous, infamous, never heard of, old, young. I don't think she would care. It would be more about: Do you have heart? And I freakin' love that. She reminds me of Marilyn Manson who once said "If you like me, I like you right back" and he lived up to that when I met him - I was totally at ease. Really grounded people are not afraid of their shadow side, or going there and back with their friends and loved ones and I think Sharon lives that.

Bourgeois Nerd

Bourgeois Nerd

Stalker

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 2:36 PM

What is up with India Farah? She left drag?

AtlanticVamp

AtlanticVamp

Fanatic

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 2:51 PM

Some of Phi2's friends are just like her. Someone tweeted to Phi2 that she's the only queen of color left on the show, and I joked, "That's just her bronzer".

This is what followed.

Does Phi2 remind anyone else of Guy Pierce's portrayal of Felicia Jollygoodfellow in "The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert"? Pretty, bitch always on someone's nerves, acts like she loves people getting mad? It didn't turn out so well for Felecia. But, she met a little boy who just wanted to hang out and play Lego, and Felicia became nicer. Maybe Phi2 needs to mentor a child (I know...) to heal the child within?

Ironically, I think the top three IS "Priscilla": Chad is Bernadette, Sharon is Mitzi, and as I've said, Phi2 is Felecia.

OnceSane

OnceSane

Fanatic

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 2:53 PM

Latrice would definitely be my drag bff...barely edging out Chad. That youtube vid was just lovely.

ScrubMonkey

ScrubMonkey

Fanatic

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 3:24 PM

AtlanticVamp: No, Guy as Felicia was much more stylish and sometimes funny. Fi is never either. Fi reminds me more of, if anyone, ChiChi In To Wong Foo for the insecurity, bad choices, and somewhat for looks. But ChiChi wasn't - whatever is wrong with FiFi.

Just for some light fun I hope everyone will try the Dragulator at RPDR's website. Here is my result. Drag name: Bea Attitude.

tadasana

tadasana

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 3:40 PM

Could someone re-post the link to the Latrice video? I must have missed it earlier in this thread and now I can't find it. Thanks!

The Void

The Void

Fanatic

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 3:49 PM

Just visited the wikipedia page for season four and thankfully it's been locked. From the history page it looks like it was a royal mess for a good long time, though.

Thank goodness. I don't think anyone's been actually posting anything that they know to be true and just sticking whatever outcome they want to happen up there.

Manila seems to be rather appreciative of her upbringing and I love that she had such a supportive family/community. She's doing drag full time now and quit her desk job as a graphic designer for various products (including a few things at Bed Bath and Beyond). I don't think we can really say that she isn't 'serious about LGBT' since she appears to be as passionate as some of the other queens when it comes to rights/awareness/etc.

Phi Phi is totally of that camp that feels that 'any publicity is good publicity' but in this case, I don't think so. She just keeps digging herself deeper and deeper. Sooner or later, she's not going to be able to perform at any clubs because no one's going to want to see her tired ass act.

Puds38

Puds38

Stalker

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 4:24 PM

that's not the definition of blackface, that's her impersonating a black woman
black face is actually black with the lips and eyes undone in a cartoony look. Sharon just looks like a real black woman

She does NOT look like a real black woman to this black woman. I might not call that blackface, but I have to say that look is borderline if I'm being generous. I get that drag is about pushing buttons, but for me that's a bit too close to the edge. I like Sharon, but if I went to one of her shows and she came out in that, I'd walk out. The glaring red lips, the one color, extremely dark face is very cartoony to me.

AtlanticVamp

AtlanticVamp

Fanatic

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 4:34 PM

AtlanticVamp: No, Guy as Felicia was much more stylish and sometimes funny. Fi is never either. Fi reminds me more of, if anyone, ChiChi In To Wong Foo for the insecurity, bad choices, and somewhat for looks. But ChiChi wasn't - whatever is wrong with FiFi.

I challenge the ChiChi angle because ChiChi was a rank amateur, a Latina in powder white makeup and smeared eyeliner, and so much so that it took a huge amount of work to get her from "boy in a dress" to the winner at the end of the movie.

I give credit to Phi2 for being able to sew a garment, has a lovely voice, and even though she paints too dark, it's better than painting herself to be a mime. She's also a convincing "gurl". My main issues with Phi2 are that she's so angry, combative, and self-centered that you can't reach her. She just barrels through, then when it goes to shit, everyone else is a hater.

I mentioned Felicia because in the movie, Felicia's jokes often got her no laughs, she was combative ("Oh, that was charming, you gutless pack of dick-heads!"), she was constantly trying to make someone angry ("I like to see people get hot-headed. It gives me a kick!"), and in the middle of the movie, Felicia was so convinced of her "fabulousness" she put herself into danger, and was nearly beaten up by an angry mob. I believe Phi2's personality mirrors these things, and I worry that she might put herself into a bad situation.

Weeman18

Weeman18

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 4:38 PM

So... first of all. Phi Phi is not a woman of "color" for being Portuguese. Portuguese people are Caucasian. Half Filipino I understand but... all Portuguese people are not tanned or anything. I'm 100% Portuguese and about as pale as Sharon. After she does her face. Secondly... Damn it. Damn, damn, DAMN it all WHY does Phi Phi have to be Portuguese? Honestly, we get the shittiest celebrities. Well... the shittiest besides what the Armenians get. I actually laughed out loud when Phical said at the last judging that she tries to be a role model. She is a role model. She is the perfect example of everything you should try not to be. Such a vile human being. I know a poster upthread said their ultimate test is whether or not they would pay to see one of the queens. I would pay big bucks to see Sharon, Latrice, or Willam (even though she doesn't do clubs). I'd pay to see Dida or Chad. Everyone with the exception of Phical I would pay to see simply, even though I didn't really like anyone else as a persona on reality tv, because they were on tv and it would be really cool to see someone perform life and maybe get a chance to say hello. I wouldn't pay for Phical. I would make a point of not going to that club because I wouldn't want to promote her career. Her behavior on and off the show are so off-putting, I can't even enjoy her as a good reality tv villain. Raven or Shangela, great villains because after the shows over and done, I remember them, but not their acts so much because they weren't THAT terrible, and because they were fun in the end. Phical is just annoying, delusional, hypocritical, and a nasty person.

All that being said, I do have to say one nice thing about her. She's the only contestant that's really progressed at all. The first half of the season I thought she was dreadful. I had no clue why she kept telling other people they didn't have talent when she didn't seem to have any either. Her makeup, acting, and looks were always terrible. No sign of any talent to be seen. I will say her makeup and looks in the second half of the season have gotten drastically better. I can't say the same for her performing chops though. She over acts and is not naturally funny or charismatic so she's just uncomfortable to watch. I usually just have to look away when she's on stage because, despite my strongly disliking her, I get embarrassed for her when she tries to be cute, charming, or funny. She just can't do it. Fix all that ugly on the inside and then work on the other stuff.

Still can't believe she's Portuguese... damn pineapple dress...

Edited by Weeman18, Apr 11, 2012 @ 4:40 PM.

AtlanticVamp

AtlanticVamp

Fanatic

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 5:35 PM

I didn't know Chad Sell was also recapping the show as well as doing illustrations. I discovered a gem: the bottom of this entry features an animated .gif of Milan "swiffering the floor". Enjoy.

The Void

The Void

Fanatic

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 5:36 PM

Previews for RuPaul Rewind are up. Sh*t Drag Queens Say is a part of the first one and has a lot of unheard quotables.

Someone: Should I tuck?
Willam: You just dip it in apple cider vinegar and it tightens right back up!

The second one has some interesting guest judge commentary that was cut.

JTF: The tattoos made me think that I was going to watch an adult erotic film which I am not opposed to.

Gregorio

Gregorio

Fanatic

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 5:58 PM

I will say this -- for all Chad shut down the dance number argument by reminding Sharon he did put PhiPhi in the middle, he did need to own the fact that he totally gave Hunter to mess with PhiPhi. Of course she was ungracious about it and conveniently forgetful of her shenanigans with Kenya, but she was right. Chad was messing with her.

But I think Chad was completely transparent about her choices. She said she was going to do opposites, and she did. She gave big ol' Latrice the tiny dog, she gave tiny PhiPhi the big dog, and she gave spooky Sharon the prissy dog. Any of them had the right to be just as mad as PhiPhi, because Chad was open about sabotaging everyone. PhiPhi's just the only one who takes everything personal, and doesn't know how to roll with the punches.

Which is why I'm so excited to see her throw a fit when she's told to sashay away halfway through the finale.

keywestkeely

keywestkeely

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 6:12 PM

Honestly, has PsychoPhi had ONE good thing to say about anybody else throughout the entire competition?

I can't think of a single instance where she's been complimentary, or given praise, to any of her colleagues. Ever.

This does not augur well for her future as a club entertainer, that's for sure.

ImEasy

ImEasy

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 6:57 PM

So... first of all. Phi Phi is not a woman of "color" for being Portuguese. Portuguese people are Caucasian.

Aren't there Portuguese people who are people of color due to diaspora? And I thought Phi Phi was half Polynesian?

Edited by ImEasy, Apr 11, 2012 @ 6:58 PM.

The Void

The Void

Fanatic

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 7:00 PM

Honestly, has PsychoPhi had ONE good thing to say about anybody else throughout the entire competition?

While I can kind of remember times when she was 'understanding' (Sharon, Jiggly), the only good things she had to say during the show were about herself.

On the other hand, Latrice was all about telling everyone that they are fierce and winners.

Blixx

Blixx

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 7:20 PM

Phical's attitude reminds me of something that Rupaul said back in season 2, "Nobody wants a pie that bites back." or something to that effect.

KittyPierre

KittyPierre

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 9:06 PM

Charisma = Latrice.
Uniqueness = Latrice.
Nerve = Latrice.
Talent = Latrice.

World's Best Fashion Stylist = . . . okay . . . not Latrice.

Okay, so, in the last two episode she didn't spin out outfits that were as glam as, say, Sharon's. But I honestly think it is probably harder for her to just rock out new outfits in a day, given her size, and the size of her feet and legs. It pained me when -- was it Michele Visage? -- Michele snarked about Latrice wearing the same boots over and over. Hello? Maybe she can't get other boots to fit her calves? Maybe she can't afford more boots? Fuck you, Michele Visage.

Latrice is a hell of a lot more charming (charisma!) than any of them, and she's got a genuine gift for comedy (talent!), and her life story is inspiring (nerve!) . . . and she's absolutely unique (Jesus is a biscuit!).

And, PS, she also has talent with makeup.

If it can't be Latrice, it needs to be Sharon.

But there's a genuine problem w/Sharon for the win: Remember the Absolute exec who said he hated her name and hated her look? Can Absolute really back a star with the name Sharon Needles? (I mean, it's not just that drugs would be an image problem, it's that drugs are .... Absolute's competition ;-).

Chad seems nice, but Chad also looks (and dresses) like the wife of my 70-year-old dentist on the Upper East Side. Maybe they use the same surgeon.

By the way, is Chad 40? No way. Not that it matters. But....

Edited by KittyPierre, Apr 11, 2012 @ 9:15 PM.

Disc

Disc

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 9:41 PM

I think Michelle's point with Latrice's boots was basically that she didn't even try to dress them up. Look at what Sharon did to a pair of her own boots just this past week. She basically spent an afternoon covering them with that poodle fluff nonsense. If Latrice had done the same with her boots, except with some kind of kelp and sea foam realness, she would have won by head and shoulders over Willam.

giles33

giles33

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 10:03 PM

Even with the latest drama, I still find that the show begins to drag towards the final four. Maybe Ru should do a home visit with the final three girls, ala The Bachelor or Project Runway. It would be break up the monotony of the challenges...

Fuzubanu

Fuzubanu

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 11:40 PM

That'd be pretty interesting, giles33. The final three each bring their own style of drag to this competition - I'd love to see her visiting their main club and watching them do what they do best. The final runway is always about bringing your Absolut Best Drag Look, but they're still going to have to perform to the song Ru picks. That doesn't always work in favor of the queens. Kenya and Dida didn't stand a chance against Latrice with those two songs, and Milan was able to swiffer the floor with her taint thanks to a song that favored her style of performance. What if the final two is between PhiPhi and Chad, and the number is some spastic dance number about ripping off your wig? PhiPhi would walk away with that.

The Void

The Void

Fanatic

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 11:59 PM

The lip sync is 99.9% likely to be Glamazon since the last 3 seasons had the music video song as the final LSFYL track... however, we still have one twist to go before the end! I seriously wonder what it'll be that 'breaks all the rules'.

keywestkeely

keywestkeely

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 12, 2012 @ 1:12 AM

Ru might declare a tie between Chad and Sharon--wouldn't that be a killer way to end the season?

Her reasoning could be that comparing Chad and Sharon is like comparing apples and oranges--what a tame comparison,by the way!--and that the styles of both queens represent the present and future of drag at its best.

I would looove this!

Oh, and let us not leave out the priceless camera pan to Psycho-Phi when she's left out in the cold!

If it were a commercial, it would run something like this:

Chad's final runway outfit: $10,000

Sharon's final runway outfit: $10,000

Both Queens winning the competition: $200,000

Psycho-Phi's expression at losing it all: PRICELESS!!!!

Sol Apollo

Sol Apollo

Fanatic

Posted Apr 12, 2012 @ 2:05 AM

She does NOT look like a real black woman to this black woman. I might not call that blackface, but I have to say that look is borderline if I'm being generous. I get that drag is about pushing buttons, but for me that's a bit too close to the edge. I like Sharon, but if I went to one of her shows and she came out in that, I'd walk out. The glaring red lips, the one color, extremely dark face is very cartoony to me.

Like Chad, Sharon is known for portraying characters, except unlike Chad she chooses characters that are beyond convention. I feel like she's trying to be edgy, not offensive. Who knows, I could be entirely wrong, but from the personality we've seen of her on tv it doesn't seem like it would be in Sharon's nature to do a character that could come across as offensive and alienate her with the audience.

Also, I just need to throw in how much I hate the double standard that exists with this. Say this had been Dida Ritz piling on white powder and portraying some ditzy blonde bimbo, or maybe playing it up to be trailer park white trash. No one would question there being any ulterior motive other than the fact that she was playing a character. Yet Sharon paints herself darker and suddenly there's an underlying racist tone to it. What if she styled herself to look Jewish? Or came out in a full-on burka? There might be some murmuring but no one would make as big of a deal about it as this. It's very much a selective discretion and I don't think it's fair to apply it to one person if it's not going to be applied to everyone across the board.

MostExaltedLoaf

MostExaltedLoaf

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 12, 2012 @ 4:37 AM

The glaring red lips, the one color, extremely dark face is very cartoony to me.

That doesn't sound like what Sharon looked like when she was doing RuPaul; that sounds like when her makeup was supposed to represent the lips from the Rocky Horror Picture Show, which I can certainly understand looking offensive without the context of performance. (And remember, we are getting a LOT of information without context here.)

Her Ru makeup looked uncannily like RuPaul.

Edited by MostExaltedLoaf, Apr 12, 2012 @ 4:40 AM.

Lucifyr

Lucifyr

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 12, 2012 @ 5:42 AM

That doesn't sound like what Sharon looked like when she was doing RuPaul; that sounds like when her makeup was supposed to represent the lips from the Rocky Horror Picture Show, which I can certainly understand looking offensive without the context of performance. (And remember, we are getting a LOT of information without context here.)

Her Ru makeup looked uncannily like RuPaul.

This. A picture is nothing without context.

AgingGoth

AgingGoth

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 12, 2012 @ 6:45 AM

I am also a black woman and one who was a designer for theater characters who had to change what they looked like to match eht character they are portraying. I find nothing offensive about her makeup

I have gone on youtube and saw some of her performances. Like Chad, she mainly does characters from all walks of life, mainly goth but she does her makeup to fit the character. In this instance she was playing a black verson of Rocky from Rocky Horror so the makeup fit the character. As others have mentioned, taken out of context of the performance and it is seen in a different light.

I also loved her Ru makeup. If I didn't know, I would have thought it was Ru standing there.

Edited by AgingGoth, Apr 12, 2012 @ 6:47 AM.