RuPaul's Drag Race

• Please log in to reply

14212 replies to this topic

madpawn

madpawn

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 9:58 PM

LOVE the new Glamazon video, and love that they really paid so much attention to detail. Here's a guide to the Japanese used:

Title Screen: 破壊 (hakai, "destruction")
危険 (kiken, "danger")
ニューハーフ(nyuu hafu, "new half" (transsexual)
魚 (sakana, "fish"—later paired with "SERVE")
破壊パニック (hakai panikku, "destruction panic")
Behind Chad: 㨋 (actually Chinese, "strike")
Behind Sharon: 鸡 (actually Chinese, "chicken"
Behind Phi Phi: 急 ("quick")
Quick scroll: 危険美 (kiken bi, dangerous beauty)
Radar: 警告 (keikoku, warning)
Red carpet scene: 優秀な押しつぶす力 (yuushuuna oshitsubusu chikara, "Superior Crushing Power")
Scrolling on the buildings: 美破壊 (beautiful destruction), パニック危険 (panic danger)
Crushing TVs: 警告有名人 (keikoku yuumeijin, "warning: famous people")
(next part is Hindi—anyone know Hindi?)

That was the best possible way to procrastinate from my Japanese assignment. Thank you, Ru.

The Void

The Void

Fanatic

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 10:13 PM

Thanks for the guide! Hopefully someone can translate the Hindi soon.

I noticed that the readings for the characters behind Phi Phi and Sharon are kind of homonyms. (both ji)

I also find it interesting that whenever the three of them are shown, Sharon is usually in the middle.

Edited by The Void, Apr 10, 2012 @ 10:34 PM.

AtlanticVamp

AtlanticVamp

Fanatic

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 10:41 PM

I knew it was going to happen eventually: I hate Phi Phi Facebook page.

Ladle

Ladle

Fanatic

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 10:49 PM

Love me some Latrice, sad to see her go. Is this the furthest a big girl has gotten in the competition?

Rai

Rai

Fanatic

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 11:32 PM

Ladle, I'd say for sure this is the furthest a big girl has made it on the show, and it was done without question too. Although I would've liked to have seen Delta and Latrice in the same season. Latrice seems to know how to bring people together, so maybe we could've been spared the Heathers nonsense.

Also, that Glamazon video is FIERCE! And awesome! Love it! I especially dig Ru serving '70s Marvel supervillain realness at the end of it. Can't help but wonder what the amount of screen time one queen in particular seems to have means though...hmmmmmmmmmm?

Also, also, you may all envy me. I actually ran into Chad Michaels in person a couple of weekends ago, and it made my day. What a sweetheart!

Edited by Rai, Apr 10, 2012 @ 11:36 PM.

Lulah

Lulah

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 1:14 AM

Sharon was fierce this week! I love her and Chad so much. I really would be thrilled for either of them to win.

Tired of the drama. They really are right, and PhiPhi should listen and pick her battles. I was so tired of watching/listening to her go off, and it pissed me off that they didn't even acknowledge Ru--though I guess that was probably all staged. Felt bad for Dita.

I can't understand why PhiPhi can't see that she needs to make friends with these established queens. Placing all your eggs in the "winning" basket is not a good move. Exposure and connections are a big part of the appeal of being on the show. Make friends, moron.

I hate PhiPhi's makeup, too. The foundation and shading is always muddy and wrong for her skintone, and the chalky pink blush and gloss bugs me. I just want to fix her the whole time. And her wigs always look like they came from Joan Collins' closet. Chad and Sharon, on the other hand--their makeup looked DIVINE. I want a makeover!

Sad to see Latrice go. Loved her--but if it was her or Chad, I pick Chad.

The Void

The Void

Fanatic

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 1:23 AM

Chad and Sharon, on the other hand--their makeup looked DIVINE. I want a makeover!

IMO, some of the best makeup artists the show has had and they aren't even makeup artists like most of the queens of seasons past are, hahaha.

Edited by The Void, Apr 11, 2012 @ 1:57 AM.

AtlanticVamp

AtlanticVamp

Fanatic

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 1:49 AM

I hate PhiPhi's makeup, too. The foundation and shading is always muddy and wrong for her skintone, and the chalky pink blush and gloss bugs me. I just want to fix her the whole time. And her wigs always look like they came from Joan Collins' closet. Chad and Sharon, on the other hand--their makeup looked DIVINE. I want a makeover!

What kills me is that Phi2's actual skin tone (shades of Chi Chi Rodriguez from "To Wong Foo...") is a kind of light to medium beige. Between bronzer, contouring and the base she's actually using, Phi2's painting herself to look like a "racing stripe" in someone's underwear. Worse, during the Dog Park 'Couture' section of the runway, she just looked like walking poop. I will never understand the need to paint oneself into another ethnicity. But then again, I don't understand the need to paint yourself with mustard, either. God, love Latrice.

I realize, after months of bitching about Jaremi Carey and his ill-constructed alter ego, that he just won't learn. I would say someone needs to completely read him, but we've seen Michelle, Ru, Sharon, Chad, and some guest judges read Phi2 on national TV, and it's not sunk through. I would say Phi2 needs a pop in the head, but by his own admission, he was hit by his bio-dad, and it just turned him into the hard-headed person he is now.

Maybe, on the Absolut tour, a few thousand "boos" might sink in. Or, once again, Jaremi will just say it's because he's 'fierce', or a 'strong competitor' or 'bitch, don't come for me'.

*sigh* I have no snark left to give for Jaremi Carey.

But, on a happy note, the clip show is usually my favorite episode each season, so here's looking forward to Monday!

Edited by AtlanticVamp, Apr 11, 2012 @ 1:55 AM.

The Void

The Void

Fanatic

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 1:57 AM

Latrice is quite possibly the classiest contestant this show has ever had.

Queen, we bow to thee!

keywestkeely

keywestkeely

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 2:02 AM

Rai, I am sooooo jealous that you got to meet Chad! And yes, I can imagine what a real, honest-to-goodness sweetheart he must be.

This leads me to something I've been thinking about: Of all the queens this season, who would you most want to be best buds (I guess I should say BFFs!) with?

For me, it's Chad. I'd love to hang with him and have him as my best buddy. Latrice and Sharon too, but for a real best friend, Chad.

Anyone else have a nominee for BDB--Best Drag Buddy?

tinytoes

tinytoes

Just Tuned In

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 6:04 AM

Sharon dressed in blackface:

http://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php?fbid=207446472701848&set=a.207446299368532.45842.100003094916773&type=1&theater

http://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php?fbid=207446536035175&set=a.207446299368532.45842.100003094916773&type=1&theater

Lucifyr

Lucifyr

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 6:12 AM

@tinytoes, links don't work for me :(

AgingGoth

AgingGoth

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 6:51 AM

Sharon dressed in blackface:

http://www.facebook....&type=1

http://www.facebook....&type=1

that's not the definition of blackface, that's her impersonating a black woman
black face is actually black with the lips and eyes undone in a cartoony look. Sharon just looks like a real black woman

Fpr best drag buddy, it's a tie for me. I would luuuvvveee Latrice as she would feed me, have fun, and give me wisdom and inspiration. I would love Chad because he would be there for me and do whatever it takes to help me when I am in need.

Phisies just don't know what she threw away when she bucked against Chad and Sharon. She could've been Drag Royalty and been introduced to the best queens out there but she just burned that bridge

hatchlynn

hatchlynn

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 6:58 AM

Links worked for me.

I can't understand why PhiPhi can't see that she needs to make friends with these established queens. Placing all your eggs in the "winning" basket is not a good move. Exposure and connections are a big part of the appeal of being on the show. Make friends, moron.

You have to be smart to understand the power of networking. A chance meeting here and a good impression there can result in some mighty fine opportunities a year or two later if you play your cards correctly. I can't even comprehend how she cannot see that the months long "audition" she is getting in front of the world on this show is another opportunity for her to show us what she can do and open doors for her future. A smart competitor can parlay this exposure to improve their career and instead she has squandered the greatest opportunity she has ever been given.
Not just a show PhiPhi- it's a platform.
What a concept!
One would think that in a world as tight as drag she would have realized this early on, but it seems she enjoys the instant gratification of railing against whomever is in front of her. This does not seem to me to be a field where behavior such as hers is easily forgotten- these few weeks are going to follow her the rest of her life.

ViQueen

ViQueen

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 7:51 AM

I have to say, I agree 100% with the posters upthread who said that Phical is making the show hard to watch. She's not a fun, bitchy, love-to-hate-her reality show villain the way that say Omarosa was. She is just negative and nasty without being the least bit clever about any of it. ugh ugh ugh.

Sharon wins RuPaul's Best Friends Race in my book.

makesnosense

makesnosense

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 7:53 AM

I admit to missing most of the first season, so I don't know if itapplies to anyone there, but I have to say Latrice is the first big girl on the show who's not a bundle of neuroses and insecurities. I think most of Jiggly, Delta and Mimi in that regard. Stacy came across to me as having a chip on her shoulder and Mystique...I just remember her being something of mess....and from Chicago.

Despite all she's been through personally, Latrice is one classy, confident queen. More power to her.

Edited by makesnosense, Apr 11, 2012 @ 12:43 PM.

ElectricBoogalo

ElectricBoogalo

Stalker

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 8:37 AM

I think Latrice's costumes have been her biggest downfall. I don't know if she isn't a good sewer, isn't creative with costumes, or doesn't know how to dress her body well, but a lot of the costumes/outfits I remember off the top of my head seem similar to that brown dress she wore this week: shapeless, uninteresting, and not very memorable. I love her and was sad to see her go, but since the runway is such a big part of the competition I can see why it was her time to go (as much as I wish it had been Phi Phi leaving).

I totally agree that she doesn't seem to have hangups about her body though. You know that if Jiggly had been around for the dog challenge and had to wear a brown unitard, she would have been complaining about it. Latrice, on the other hand, didn't appear to have an issue with it (or if she did, she didn't turn into a drama queen about it).

Latrice had the classiest exit in four seasons of RPDR. As much as Phi Phi has put herself in the public spotlight in a negative way, Latrice achieved the opposite. Everyone has seen what a smart, funny, mature, capable queen she is.

Phi Phi is one of those people with either no self awareness whatsoever or a completely delusional image of herself. She really does not see what a hypocrite she's being (I mean, CONSTANTLY, but in this most recent episode, complaining that Chad assigned her that dog to screw with her, despite the fact that she deliberately had Kenya assign the DILFs in a way that she thought would help her and hurt the other contestants). She is just a nasty angry insecure person who can't see the forest for the trees.

I don't have a problem with people being competitive on a show like this, but she goes beyond that, and I think that the other girls didn't express it clearly when Ru questioned them on the runway. They were being too generic so the judges interpreted it as "Phi Phi really wants to win." The other queens should have explained more clearly that Phi Phi will play dirty, manipulate, lie, and step over a dead body if she thinks it will give her even the slightest advantage. That's different from being competitive.

Rai

Rai

Fanatic

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 9:13 AM

I will say this -- for all Chad shut down the dance number argument by reminding Sharon he did put PhiPhi in the middle, he did need to own the fact that he totally gave Hunter to mess with PhiPhi. Of course she was ungracious about it and conveniently forgetful of her shenanigans with Kenya, but she was right. Chad was messing with her.

In the immortal words of RuPaul though, that's why they call it a challenge!

allegory

allegory

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 9:48 AM

Well somebody had to get Hunter. So while PhiPhi was given that honor, I think her point was Chad was goading her on, asking "Are you mad at me?" and pretending it wasn't a sabotage. "You seem mad".

The difference is her delivery. She could have been laughing about it in the confessional but instead put on that "you can't fool me, I'm the Nancy Drew of Drag" attitude. DUH Phi. (ahem DJ)

Chad could have ignored her being quiet so he was the one starting that. Which I have no problem with LOL.Because he does it without making my ears bleed. And I think it was his way of getting camera time, addressing Phi2's juvenile behavior and hoping for a freak out on her part all rolled into one ha.

A NORMAL BALANCED person would have said, no problem Chad, that's the benefit of the mini challenge. With a BIG smile. Sharon would have. And would have played UP THE DOG as funny, to get screen time.

She's so immature at every level. Tweeting like a teenager over her new boyfriend.

@PhiPhiOhara do you have a boyfriend?" We aren't official, but one day @mrmikhael will be :-)

WAIT. You actually ARE a teenage girl, right Phi2?

Edited by allegory, Apr 11, 2012 @ 10:04 AM.

pomme de divan

pomme de divan

Fanatic

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 9:53 AM

After seeing that video of Latrice (thx Void), I have to have Miss Royale as my new BFF.

Clearly Ru has kept FiFi around for the drama of it all, but despite rumors I can't see her winning. It would be the equivalent of Gretchen beating Mondo in PR.

Edited by pomme de divan, Apr 11, 2012 @ 9:55 AM.

dirtybubble

dirtybubble

Fanatic

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 10:21 AM

She's so immature at every level. Tweeting like a teenager over her new boyfriend.

While I will admit that Phi2 can be immature at times I don't really see him tweeting about a new beau as evidence of that. Young, new love usually brings out teenager a bit. IDK, while Phi2 is not really my favorite person on the show and I certainly don't hope he wins I don't necessarily mind him as much as some of the other queens from past seasons. He's not a slob about his drag, his makeup skills have improved greatly, and he kinda does deserve a top 3 spot IMO.

Spoiler

sbell7

sbell7

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 10:27 AM

I want Latrice to be my bestie. I hope she does a show in Chicago soon. PhiPhi and the Princess(yay) do a show at a bar/club near my house on a weekly basis I think, and I am tempted to go to see this "fierceness" the judges keep telling me PhiPhi has because I have yet to see it. She may do her makeup well and be a good performer, but Sharon is right, the next drag superstar should be a sweetheart and someone who is a good person inside and out. I will be happy with either Sharon or Chad winning.

As soon as Ru told the Queens that Winonna Judd was a judge I knew that they would be serving up some "No One Else on Earth" realness for the LSFYL.

Pomone

Pomone

Fanatic

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 11:06 AM

Oh Latrice.

I love Latrice more than any other queen this season, or any season, but more for her inspirational aspects than her drag. It's been a rough couple of months for me personally, and I just keep repeating myself what Latrice said in one of the episodes. She said "Everybody makes mistakes, but bitch you'd better look sickening when you get up! SICKENING, and make them eat it!". She said it in such a kind way.

I just love that. That being said, I don't think she was particularly suited to this type of competition. Her drag looks weren't as pretty or interesting as the rest, and I don't think she's that funny. It's not a problem, I just don't think off the cuff humor is her thing.

So in the end, I'm so happy that she was on the show so I could get to know her a bit, but I knew she wasn't going to win.

I have a lot of sympathy for Phi Phi. I think she is someone who is fighting a really hard battle just exist. I know a lot of her behavior isn't really acceptable, but I think deep down she's just someone who doesn't really have a handle on how to interact with people, and how to take criticism. I think she knows that her family background has really skewed how she relates to people and situations, but she hasn't figured out normal responses to things. I also think she's desperate to win, and in a super high pressure environment. She's under a lot of stress, and not handling it well.

A few Untucked episodes back, I think it was Kelly Osbourne who asked who the biggest bitch was. People named Phi Phi, and Phi Phi's response to that was really illuminating. She said she wasn't a bitch, she was just real. Phi Phi isn't really owning her "bitch" status. I think how people react to Phi Phi this season will be a big eye opener to her, and will either make her more defensive and unwilling to change, or she'll start to evaluate her reactions.

I don't know. She's gotten a lot of extreme reactions, but I can't help but see something human, and hurting under all of that rage. Obviously, YMMV. It doesn't excuse her behavior in anyway, but I'm not willing to write her off completely.

Sol Apollo

Sol Apollo

Fanatic

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 11:06 AM

[sarcasm]But all the winners of ANTM have gone on to have successful careers as international models, right??[/sarcasm]

It's funny how Phical harped on Sharon joking for saying all she wanted was to win the cruise, but that's no worse than the actuality of Phical just wanting to win Drag Race for the glory of it (by any means necessary) while not thinking long-term about how her actions have ostracized her from a good portion of the community. She could win Drag Race but she's already lost.

ETA:

The other queens should have explained more clearly that Phi Phi will play dirty, manipulate, lie, and step over a dead body if she thinks it will give her even the slightest advantage. That's different from being competitive.

Sharon was starting to elaborate on this, saying that Phical didn't possess the qualities to make a good role model in the drag community, but then Phical cut her off when she started calling Sharon a liar (which I still don't understand how her behavior alone on stage didn't land her in the bottom two).

I don't know. She's gotten a lot of extreme reactions, but I can't help but see something human, and hurting under all of that rage. Obviously, YMMV. It doesn't excuse her behavior in anyway, but I'm not willing to write her off completely.

Once Phical and Latrice went into the Gold Bar I think Chad and Sharon touched on this a bit, that there's been things in Phical's past that have led to the anger that seems to be always simmering just beneath the surface. Doesn't make her behavior excusable, nor do I think it can be attributable to maturity either. We've all been dealt some rough cards in our life, I know I certainly have. Phical is what, 23? 24? I'm only a few years older than her but I don't go around like a raving bitch (unless I was at my old job, but that's another story...lol), taking my bitterness out on other people. I realized at a very young age that it was within my power to take what I've gone though and let it make me a stronger person, not to use it as an excuse. That's why I love Latrice so much, especially in the youtube video that's the message that she wanted to get across. It's entirely up to you what you do with your life (and now I wonder if perhaps she was subconsciously targeting Phical with the video, hmm...).

Edited by Sol Apollo, Apr 11, 2012 @ 11:22 AM.

allegory

allegory

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 11:16 AM

Phi2 essentially told Chad "Well when I'm 40 I'll act it but for now I'm acting any way I want". Then she totally disregarded the point by insisting he mean she was "young" in drag and she's been doing drag 6 years. When the conversation had nothing to do with drag but with temper tantrums.

Carmen is the same age like others have been. So for me, she's telling her fellow contestants "Screw you, I'm going to harass you AND ruin challenges like my Gaga mess and I don't care if you like it or not".

I will say they all could have shut her down if they banded together or isolated her but they all get caught up in the drama too. Just like Season 3, Heathers didn't start until Shangela and her crew had already started problems with various queens and cliques.

AgingGoth

AgingGoth

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 11:52 AM

Heathers didn't start until Shangela and her crew had already started problems with various queens and cliques.

I really cannot agree with this statement as the Raja clique had formed long before the Healther crap started. Corman started calling the other queens she didn't like Boogers and Raja came in with a chip on her sholders about Shangela. Most of the time it was Shangela defending herself against Raja, Delta and a combination of Manila/Carmen. Raja actually caused that devide with her Healthers joke that Delta took too seriously. It was when Shangela point blank asked Raja what was her trama that it came out that Raja felt slighted because of how Shangela brought a wig back to her before they went on the show. She was still fuming about that and had personal issues with Shangela from the start.

Shangela got her alliances together to ward off the Heathers thing IMO

Bourgeois Nerd

Bourgeois Nerd

Stalker

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 12:05 PM

Sharon and Chad both acknowledged that it's obvious that she has Issues stemming from her past, and they feel sorry for her about that, as do I, but, you know, that really only gives you so much slack, and Phi Phi long ago exceeded it. All of the girls have gone through shit (I'm willing to bet some of them were even abused by a parent, though no one else talked about it); that doesn't give them a life-time pass for being a twat. Nor does her "youth" excuse her, either. I hate when people say "But I'm so younnnnnnnnnnng!" as an excuse for acting like a dick. You don't have to be 80 to have a brain or some emotional control. Phi Phi's 25; she's hardly just out of the cradle. I feel like the "when I'm 40 thing" really was just a way for her to stick it to Chad for her age, again. (BTW, I'm betting there was a lot more of the age stuff left on the cutting room floor, since it's something I noticed, vaguely, but not to the degree Chad seemed to indicate it took place. And it probably wouldn't have bothered Chad that much if it were said with love or humor, but we all know much warm funnies Phi Phi makes.)

I do have to say, though, she played it brilliantly. All that over-the-top aggression and throwing out tangents and digressions about stuff that was beside the point, like the cruise thing, totally worked, both backstage and on the runway. They got sidetracked and forced on the defensive.

AgingGoth

AgingGoth

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 1:15 PM

I do have to say, though, she played it brilliantly. All that over-the-top aggression and throwing out tangents and digressions about stuff that was beside the point, like the cruise thing, totally worked, both backstage and on the runway. They got sidetracked and forced on the defensive.

Gosh, I so agree with this. The moment she went after Sharon for the Vacation angle I knew she was working to divert any negative comments her way. However, it was like she was baiting them in the workroom just for this moment. the first thing out of her mouth was her gloating over her vegas trip she had won. Being nice and inclusive, they joked with her, Sharon even feigning regret of not also winning a trip.

I knew when that happened that Phisies was going to use it against her. There is a pattern with Phisies. first she listens intently when someone else has a poor me moment like Sharon talking about her being bullied. Then her talking head acts like she is sympathetic to the other's insecurites. Then she finds a way to use it against that person to get them eliminated. She did this with Jiggly with unbridled abandon. She tried it on Chad but to no avail as Chad alluded to Phisies harping on her age. Like most bullies like Phisies, she used what she feels is the targets weak points and turns them against the target.

She tried to get Willam on her penchent for designer labels citing her shoe craving but Willam is too well adjusted and witty to let Phisies get to her. This is why i believe she ratted out Willam when Phisies also couldn't rattle her with accusations.

She pretended to be very sympathetic to Jiggly, learning all her montal shortcomings and fears and worked Joiggly like a fine tuned instrument to get her eliminated

She constantly tries to rattle Sharon who sometime buy into the fight but Sharon so far, reverts to a mature angle with the help of Chad and usually ends up winning out

She used Kenya to a point and I believe Phisies actually wrote that letter.

I believe that Ru knows and knew all along what Phisies was doing but Ru is giving us a capsulized version of "The Oscar" where the main character does so much dirt and is so nastily going after the Oscar only to be nominated but not win. it has been noted that Ru loves a good movie so when Phisies came along it was reality TC gold that she just couldn't pass up.

It was so obvious that Phisies should have been in the bottem but we would not be as invested in the finale if we did not have the cliffhanger waiting for us in two weeks.

AtlanticVamp

AtlanticVamp

Fanatic

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 1:17 PM

Spoiler

Montavilla

Montavilla

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 1:18 PM

I agree with you, and I actually think she does take criticism well -- from Ru. What I see is someone trying to secure her place as close to the top as possible. So, she tears down everyone gets in the way of that.

That may come from being young and insecure. I'm sure she's had to claw her way up to where she was in the Drag World before she got on the show. It might have been a pretty vicious struggle.

Phi-Phi does seem to be listening to Ru and the judges, since they note improvement in her. So, good for her in that regard. Also, she does seem to have inherent taste and skills, since she won challenges based on graphic design/writing ability and making up another person. She has a decent voice and can sing well enough. What she lacks is skill in improv (which can be learned), imagination, maturity, and soul.

I don't think she's near ready to be America's Next Drag Superstar.