RuPaul's Drag Race

• Please log in to reply

14219 replies to this topic

AtlanticVamp

AtlanticVamp

Fanatic

Posted Apr 2, 2012 @ 11:04 PM

Oh, yeah, Kenya's guy thinks if he tucks he'll have a "tail"? Braggin', braggin'!

Edited by AtlanticVamp, Apr 2, 2012 @ 11:07 PM.

Sol Apollo

Sol Apollo

Fanatic

Posted Apr 2, 2012 @ 11:16 PM

I was living for Latrice's LSFYL!! My boyfriend's best friend is a drag queen and one of her best routines is to 'Natural Woman' and Latrice reminded me so much of how she takes it to a place you wouldn't expect. Brilliant to embrace the baby bump!

The LSFYL only underscores wtf did they bother to bring Kenyah back. Bitch was clueless the first time, she was still clueless this time around, and I don't think it has anything to do with a language barrier.

ETA: or at least I hope ETA since idk how the new software works on my phone. It was ironic that Phical was the one who questioned Willam's tears a few weeks back, because bitch was putting on an act this week on the runway. Didn't buy them for a second, I'm sure she's had a rough relationship with her dad but the tears sure helped her ass to win the challenge. Where is that same softness the rest of the time when she's spitting out her vitriol?

ETA one more time! I about died when I saw Santino roll his eyes when Kenya ripped off her wig! Ha! Even he's over that tackiness.

Fuzubanu

Fuzubanu

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 3, 2012 @ 12:09 AM

I almost choked on my drink when Phical said she really loved her DILF because he doesn't judge a book by its cover. Since, you know, that is exactly what Phical does. Look at the vile she spews each week about the other queens, based solely on her first impression of them. She refuses to dig a little deeper and that is why her drag is so one-note.

Loqi

Loqi

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 3, 2012 @ 12:30 AM

There was no comparison. Kenya's jumping around like a mad woman, not really getting what the song is about... and there's Latrice, creating a STORY with her baby bump! Brilliant. Understated, yet powerful. Might be one of the best ever.

Yes! Latrice was giving I'm due next week and my baby's daddy just let me for my younger sister but Imma be alright realness. Seriously, that was a thing of beauty! The power of drag, ladies!! Yes, honey! Lol

Blixx

Blixx

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 3, 2012 @ 12:39 AM

When Phi Phi said "I am a good person." or whatever, I almost choked.

Yea no way is Phical Matter a GOOD person, a GOOD person doesn't say half of the shit that "thing" says, and calls other human beings "things". She is just a cunty wannabe-queen, case-closed.

Bungalow Joy

Bungalow Joy

Stalker

Posted Apr 3, 2012 @ 2:13 AM

I remained dubious about Latrice as a drag queen for the longest time. It was really only in relation to others that I liked her. Until tonight. After that lip sync I absolutely want her in the F3. I might even want her in the F2! I don't think it'll happen, I don't think so. But that performance was, strangely, pure truth.

Marq DeCarabas

Marq DeCarabas

Fanatic

Posted Apr 3, 2012 @ 2:20 AM

I'm glad on untucked we got to really see where mike was coming from he was trying to fit in a bit and play, but just did it completely wrong.

I'm sure among his friends the whole let's fight thing would be laughed at, but he honestly didn't understand that it takes on an entirely different connotation when dealing with a gay man.

I do think that was part of the reason why Sharon kinda pulled away and 'left him hanging' so to speak.

3 seconds into the LYFYL I knew kenya was going home. Bitch has absolutely no understanding of the emotions in the song. Whether that's a language issue or not I don't know, but it was just completely wrong. And yes Santino rolled his eyes the instant the wig came off.

BlakeSpeare

BlakeSpeare

Fanatic

Posted Apr 3, 2012 @ 2:57 AM

In the future, whenever I hear someone talk about the challenges as if the winner is always chosen based on merit (and not producer shenanigans), I'll remind them of Kenya winning the mini-challenge.

I don't think this means she's going to win necessarily since the makeover winners don't seem to win (Tatianna, Rebecca, Manila) and the dad thing was going to come up with Phi Phi.

Raven was the winner of the season 2 makeover challenge - remember the business with her carrying her "drag mother" offstage? Your point still holds about the winners of the makeover challenge never going on to win the whole thing, though.

After this challenge, I think I'd be fine with them discontinuing the makeover challenges. The only remaining demographic for makeovers that I think would be worthwhile would be young gay men who want to be drag queens, but have never tried it before. (I don't see much point in making over women, since that's what Drag U is all about.)

keywestkeely

keywestkeely

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 3, 2012 @ 3:11 AM

I've always felt that the makeover challenges weren't quite fair, because the queens are made to be accountable for the incompetency, and sometimes utter lack of interest, of their makeover partners.

That Mike guy--it's almost like he was put in as a plant to stir up trouble...Didn't he have a chip on his shoulder, though?

Latrice was inspiring and luminous. My husband, who's not really into this show, stopped in his tracks to watch her and said, "Okay, now that was really terrific! And she's really good!"

Why is it that some queens never seem to understand the fact that with lip synching you're actually supposed to interpret the lyric?

Whether you do it with your whole body, or by just standing still and being magnificent (like Latrice), you have to tailor your performance to each individual song. Kenya's prancing about had nothing whatsoever to do with this song. Dida did exactly this same kind of thing last week.

Lip synching is NOT about great dance skills--although these can be effectively utilized. It's about matching your own interpretive performance to the lyric and the spirit of the song itself. After all, that's what a singer does, and that's what a great lip synch artist should do.

Can I get an AMEN to that?

allegory

allegory

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 3, 2012 @ 4:07 AM

People are saying they saw Sharon's DILF on Millionaire Matchmaker. I think he was fame hoaring and backpedaling when it backfired. Who in their right mind would act so threatening and awful to a Chad Michaels? It's like kicking a kitten. Extended without ending up laughing like Joe Pesci did in Goodfellas when he cracked up after busting on Henry "what? I amuse you?". (not that I would have excused it anyway).

This episode left me jaded on the whole show, the disingenuousness of focusing on Phi2's father drama while ignoring the backstage Chad issue, when the anti-bullying message is so popular right now. And spending so much time on it last week including Chad saying "Those guys affected me. They affected me."

At this point, I couldn't care less what the outcome of the season is, to be honest. And I'm getting that Chad doesn't either judging from his lack of tweeting or communicating or promoting anything other than his Showgirls gigs lately. I'm 100% sure that the judges (Ru and Michelle) know the workroom antics based on their clever questioning like to The Other Tyra during the Bride episode. That makes Michelle even more wrong for me, expecting Chad to come out and perform all perky and cheery after spending the day seething and feeling badly in that workroom.

AgingGoth

AgingGoth

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 3, 2012 @ 5:55 AM

My take on this weeks episode

Latrice once again gave a fantastic lipsync and I feel she was chosen to be in the bottom two because she is the one person who could totally off lil Kenya. I actually felt that Latrice should not have been in the bottom as her dilf looked very good for what she had to work with and I did not agree with the judges. I felt Sharon should have been in the bottom with her messed up dilf but she may not have been able to off Kenya with her lipsync like Latrice. Also, isnít it interesting that both times Latrice was down for lipsyncing, it was a song that mainly she could relate to and do well. Just sayiní

I also feel that Kenya was brought back probable for the dramatic effect but it didnít actually happen. I am beginning to believe that Kenyaís tweet that she didnít write the letter. I truly believe Phical wrote it

Chad can show class and go medieval on you at the same time. I also believe Sharon did come to her aid as was mentioned in untucked. I feel she didnít do up her dilf that well because she just didnít like him mainly for what he did to Chad. However, Chad can hold his own and probably has had experience doing so. I also loved Chadís dilf because he to me was the best transformation.

Kenya made the same mistake that Carmen did last season when she put more into her own look than her dilf. They were a depressing hot mess out on the main stage. I knew she would be going home the very moment she started dancing wildly to a slow song. Flipping her wig was the final nail in the coffin. You could just see it on Santinoís face when it happened.

Although Phicalís dilf was good, I felt that Chadís was far better so I totally disagreed with the win. The crying thing I felt was her rendition of imitating Willam. It felt like a knife through the heart to hear them say she won. My take on next week is that she shoots herself in the foot and is eliminated. I believe this is why she is so pissed off with Sharon because Sharon will probably be the one who offs her. I just loved when Sharon called Phical out on the tearjerk thing as bullcrap. I believe all the queens are just over this bitch.

The guys were more subdued than the jock last season. I still didnít like Sharonís dilf even after he apologized and tried to explain himself. He acted like a big bully

blubld43

blubld43

Fanatic

Posted Apr 3, 2012 @ 6:15 AM

There was no comparison. Kenya's jumping around like a mad woman, not really getting what the song is about... and there's Latrice, creating a STORY with her baby bump! Brilliant. Understated, yet powerful. Might be one of the best ever.

You all have put into words exactly where my head was while watching this: Latrice interpreted the song, Kenya was just dancing, and not even to the music! I lol when Santino rolled his eyes at the wig removal...let's hope that the queens next season will observe and remember.
Kenya's return was a disappointment; I wish that they would have brought back someone with an actual chance of winning. I pretty much knew they wouldn't bring Willam back, considering the circumstances of her departure, but that would have been some must see tv, right there. Bring Willam back to send Phiphi home. Please, please, let her depart next week.

xingcat

xingcat

Fanatic

Posted Apr 3, 2012 @ 7:32 AM

Kenya's return showed that the whole conceit of bringing back an eliminated queen is just a stunt meant to lengthen the season. There was no queen who left too early (except maybe Princess, but she really wasn't cut out for this show), if the whole idea that Willam broke the rules somehow is true. Kenya had no chance, especially when the LSFYL was tailor-made to give Latrice a shining moment in the sun.

I thought almost all the DILFs were disappointing. The jocks last year looked like they were having the time of their lives. The Dads this year dutifully put on drag, stumbled through their routines, and spent the Untucked episodes saying all the right things about how it's acceptable to be gay and/or a drag queen, but it all seems a bit forced now.

rustyspigot

rustyspigot

Fanatic

Posted Apr 3, 2012 @ 7:33 AM

Didn't buy them for a second, I'm sure she's had a rough relationship with her dad but the tears sure helped her ass to win the challenge.

I like to picture Phi Phi growing up parentless as one of the feral children in a Walmart.

evilandproud

evilandproud

Stalker

Posted Apr 3, 2012 @ 7:40 AM

I thought that Latrice was a nice enough person but I didn't really think of her as "Top 3 material". After that LSFYL she has me thinking that Jesus is a biscuit. She sort of lucked out in having someone as clueless as Kenya to lip sync against because it made her understated and beautiful interpretation of the song seem even more amazing.

This is maybe the first episode where Santino hasn't made me roll my eyes. They cut to his reaction for like half a second when Kenya ripped off her wig and the subtle shake of his head kind of said it all. The wigging ripping is so, so, so tired. It was tired the first five times Shangela did it and it's just painful to watch at this point.

cousin oliver

cousin oliver

Fanatic

Posted Apr 3, 2012 @ 7:44 AM

Phi Phi claims her dad avoids her because she's gay and a drag queen; surely it's simply because she's vile.

As annoying as Sharon's DILF was it was worth it for all the awesome cutaways to Sharon's deadpan interviews.

Bourgeois Nerd

Bourgeois Nerd

Stalker

Posted Apr 3, 2012 @ 8:06 AM

So after two years in a row of "Oh, hello, returned contestant! Goodbye!", will they finally get it through their heads that bringing back the fishy queen isn't actually necessary? That they might have left at the right time (if not after)? I knew Kenya was going home because she got barely any airtime.

Miss Chad is NOT having it tonight. Sharon's DILF really was an asshole (though, ashamedly, he's really the only one I'd like to fuck). But Chad took care of him. And if it HAD come to blows, my money would have been on the bitch with the scissors in her hands. I think Chad's learned a thing or two about cutting a bitch in her time. Chad was also NOT having Phi Phi. I loved it.

Personally, I liked Chad's DILF better, because he was cute and enthusiastic and I think had the most radical transformation, but, ugh, I can see why they gave the win to Phi Phi. Her and her "sister" really did look alike, which most of the rest of them didn't manage. I knew the minute the "waterworks" came on that she'd win, though. I don't know whether or not it was real, because her father issues have come up before, but it DID seem rather convenient. I really hope she goes next week.

I'm a full-blown member of the Church of Jesus, Biscuit: Pastor: Reverend Latrice Royale! Yet again, Latrice brought us to CHURCH with that lip-synch. She told a whole story, and used her baby bumps to fantastic effect. Kenya just didn't know where she was. Ballet? Really?

pomme de divan

pomme de divan

Fanatic

Posted Apr 3, 2012 @ 8:14 AM

I have a sick feeling Phi is this years Tyra.

Feral child at Walmart...Hee.

buttercupia

buttercupia

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 3, 2012 @ 8:19 AM

Phi2 had those tears shipped in from China. the only reason she and her DILF looked alike was because they both had about a gallon of spray tan on. Oompa Loompa realness.

Latrice! Ooh. that was beautiful. I had goosebumps.

I'm about sick of Michelle's criticisms of Chad. Chad should have won that challenge-her DILF looked the most like her.

Lucifyr

Lucifyr

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 3, 2012 @ 8:42 AM

Phi2 had those tears shipped in from China.

Phical couldn't AFFORD tears from China... those were black market tears straight from Tijuana

buttercupia

buttercupia

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 3, 2012 @ 8:58 AM

those were black market tears straight from Tijuana

Oh, so true. that explains why her makeup didn't run at all.

Sol Apollo

Sol Apollo

Fanatic

Posted Apr 3, 2012 @ 9:37 AM

I missed something along the way, can someone explain the Jesus is a biscuit thing to me? I don't get it.

I think having grown up as a feral child in Walmart would still have been too good for Phical.

funkgasm

funkgasm

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 3, 2012 @ 9:45 AM

As if I couldn't love Chad Michaels any more, last night he goes and defends himself against a bully, refers to Phi Phi's bear as "booger bear," and quotes some Baby Jane Hudson. Perfection!

I, too, was very disturbed when Sharon's DILF (and I use that term loosely) came for Chad. I do believe that misguided creature when he said that he was doing it "just to be a bitch" or whatever, because he seemed so fame-whorey to me. At least he tried to explain himself in Untucked - I don't think he's hateful, but rather just trying to be a weirdo and get more screen time.

I think Phi Phi was thrown a bone this week - next week she'll be gone. (IN JESUS' NAME, I PRAY)

auntie thesis

auntie thesis

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 3, 2012 @ 9:46 AM

Kenya's return showed that the whole conceit of bringing back an eliminated queen is just a stunt meant to lengthen the season. There was no queen who left too early (except maybe Princess, but she really wasn't cut out for this show), if the whole idea that Willam broke the rules somehow is true. Kenya had no chance, especially when the LSFYL was tailor-made to give Latrice a shining moment in the sun.

If TPTB want to lengthen the season, then maybe they should add more contestants. Another way to do this would be to have an elimination free week or two thrown in the mix.

Personally, I'd love to see a week where the queens get to vote each other off. Phi2 would have been gone long ago if her fellow queens had had some voting power. Of course, there would be far too many bitch fights if they were allowed to vote. I am seriously beginning to doubt Ru and Co in the judging department. Ru seems to save the queens he really likes and who actually have some talent for Drag U. He then gives the win to some ho-hum nobody that the fans were rather meh about for no apparent reason. Le sigh. Injustice, if you ask me.

Yes, Latrice KILLED the LSFYL this week. Fluved it! I so hope that Latrice wins just to prove my theory wrong...but I am beginning to think that everyone's least favorite dragzilla bitchface Phi2 may win and then...I will stop watching. Really, anyone but Phi2 FTW. Even Willam's puke puddle FTW over Phi2.

LTG

LTG

Network Executive

Posted Apr 3, 2012 @ 9:47 AM

She may be rough in some other areas, but Latrice is the best lip syncher, IMHO. That was flawless!

Latrice totally rocked it last night, but I think she's been lucky that both times she had to LSFYL, it's been a slower song with a story to tell. She may not be as strong with an up-tempo song that requires more dance and less acting.

The Grampa DILF was just weird. Poor boundaries, self-entitled, and creepy. I was really worried that Sharon would end up in the bottom two because he was so awful, but I should have known that Ru wouldn't pass up the chance to remind Michelle and Santino that her word is law and she never makes a mistake by sending Kenya right back out of there.

I missed something along the way, can someone explain the Jesus is a biscuit thing to me?

"Jesus Is a Biscuit" is a faux gospel song that Latrice has led the queens in singing on a couple of occasions. It may be that the singing only happened during "Untucked," but the references to Jesus being a biscuit and letting him sop you up all come from the song.

Edited by LTG, Apr 3, 2012 @ 9:49 AM.

Zombiebirdhouse

Zombiebirdhouse

Just Tuned In

Posted Apr 3, 2012 @ 10:06 AM

bluvelvet said:

Not that I mind having extra episodes of Drag Race but what's the point of bringing a queen back to vote her off the same episode.

Hopefully this year's return with exactly the same result as last year will put a nail in the coffin of "WOW! Wouldn't it be a good idea to bring someone back?"
No. Stop. It's a bad idea and unfair to both the returning contestants and the ones who have worked hard to still be there.

Edited by Zombiebirdhouse, Apr 3, 2012 @ 10:08 AM.

buttercupia

buttercupia

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 3, 2012 @ 10:37 AM

I don't mind the returning contestant thing so much but damn, Kenya had nothing going for her. Adorable, looks like a real girl, good dancer, but not a drag artist in the same way Chad, Sharon, and Latrice are. Her ESL problem combined with the weird/off personality made her unsalvagable. The "Eden's World" promos don't help-since Kenya looks like some Toddlers and Tiaras drag anyway.

Catlyn

Catlyn

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 3, 2012 @ 10:46 AM

I, too, was very disturbed when Sharon's DILF (and I use that term loosely) came for Chad. I do believe that misguided creature when he said that he was doing it "just to be a bitch" or whatever, because he seemed so fame-whorey to me. At least he tried to explain himself in Untucked - I don't think he's hateful, but rather just trying to be a weirdo and get more screen time.

I'm wondering about him also. While PhiPhi was crying you saw a black gloved hand try and give her a comforting pat. Considering their history, and Sharon's disbelief, I think it was Sharon's DILF that tried to help comfort PhiPhi. Which, if true, just cinches your discription.

On the LFYL I knew when I saw Santino shake his head and mouth the word, "No" Kenya was gone. But, I loved Latrisse's interpretation of the song.

Encolpius

Encolpius

Just Tuned In

Posted Apr 3, 2012 @ 11:15 AM

Definitely did not like the return of Kenya. Willem or Jiggly would have brought more drama, and bringing back one of the early contestants would have given someone that wasn't given enough time to shine a second chance. As soon as we knew that the lip sync was to an Aretha Franklin song it was obvious that it was over for her.

IttyBittyFlavur

IttyBittyFlavur

Fanatic

Posted Apr 3, 2012 @ 11:24 AM

While Willam outshines Kenya in every way possible, I'm relieved she didn't come back. Disqualified has to mean disqualified, or why bother having rules?

Latrice -- that was just stunning.