RuPaul's Drag Race

• Please log in to reply

14211 replies to this topic

ScrubMonkey

ScrubMonkey

Fanatic

Posted Mar 30, 2012 @ 3:07 PM

Yeah, for a rant against queens being bitchy and catty, that was one bitchy, catty rant by a former queen.

I got the sense that she wanted to freeze the lessons her drag mama gave her in time and if the future couldn't live up to that she'd rather hang it up. I'm not so sure her drag mama did her a favor. Her drag seemed outdated to me, like Fifi's, stuck in a past era. Way too heavy makeup, gowns made from the brocade curtains, and what not. India did have nice manners, though. It sounds like she's just burnt out. She should've proofread it, or slept on it, though, before hitting send. I was mostly tempted to take a red pen to it, but that's my latent grammar freak coming out.

Worleybird

Worleybird

Posted Mar 30, 2012 @ 3:30 PM

OK, here's my latest theory on Willam's DQ (yes, I have too much time on my hands):

The production company received word that a close relative of Willam's was on death's door. He had to leave tight then. Remember how 'down' Willam was that day in the work room? Rather than shut down the show for a few days, Ru, knowing she had the 'we'll be bringing back an ousted queen', decided to trump a breaking of a rule so they could continue the show on schedule.

Or maybe Willam had a contractual obligation that couldn't be broken (another TV show) and Ru let her go knowing she'd be coming back.

BlakeSpeare

BlakeSpeare

Fanatic

Posted Mar 30, 2012 @ 4:52 PM

I don't think India was criticizing Drag Race for representing the wrong style of drag, so much as she was criticizing it for representing drag queens negatively. (She also seems to have issues with queens who - in her opinion - have trashy "styles," but I think that criticism is more about taste in general than pageant style vs. other styles.)

Her criticisms about Drag Race portraying drag queens as bitchy is still bullshit, though. It's practically an incontrovertible fact that there are plenty of bitchy divas in the world of drag, and portraying drag queens as nicey-nice would just come across as fake as hell. And, as many others have pointed out, she's being super-bitchy in that posting, so...pot, meet kettle.

I always wondered why India was cast - she always seemed like a typical-pageant-type with a low-key personality that isn't exactly ideal for reality TV. I know she had a connection through Mystique, who recommended her for the show, but that still didn't fully explain to me why they'd want to cast her. Now I suspect the casting people saw her dramatic, shit-stirring side, which the rest of us are only seeing now.

Does anyone out there think there's any truth to her claim that the drag world has changed drastically in the last five years? I'm sure it's always changing, but is there really a huge difference in people's attitudes, the way she describes it? I don't know enough about attitudes toward drag across the country to say, personally.

rustyspigot

rustyspigot

Fanatic

Posted Mar 30, 2012 @ 4:57 PM

ETA: Oh yeah, WTF was with India constantly saying "Please, no questions"? Bitch, do you think you're Greta Garbo? Or RuPaul? Sheesh.

Ha! That reminds me of Bullets Over Broadway.

Long winded is right. Though, she forgot the story on how her mama Rose always favored her more talented little drag sister when they were on the Vaudeville Drag Orpheum circuit.

allegory

allegory

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 30, 2012 @ 5:23 PM

Does anyone out there think there's any truth to her claim that the drag world has changed drastically in the last five years? I'm sure it's always changing, but is there really a huge difference in people's attitudes, the way she describes it? I don't know enough about attitudes toward drag across the country to say, personally.

What I got from it (so damn long it's hard to remember) she has two complaints. First, because drag is getting popular again in a mainstream way including TS more accepted in more mainstream bars, (I guess instead of traditional TS bars)...performers are working for $20 and $30 booking fees, bringing down the pay unless you are a star from RPDR making big coin [for being beneath her level]. And she doesn't get those offers, she feels, because she isn't that big a name compared to the unworthy ones. But she begs to differ because she IS a big name (in her mind).

Second, she thinks these performers are simply throwing on a wig and dress and lip syncing or less...and she's a true artiste and being dissed. She did give props to some queens from RPDR that she respects. She's arguing that fishy queens aren't the T. And that somehow, presumably from the evil RPDR, the wool has been pulled over everyone's eyes. I guess she hasn't seen crunchy Season 4 yet ha.

Apparently, everyone thinks she's referring alot to Carmen, including Carmen who has also made statements in defense of herself on FB.

I think the change she thinks she sees is because she wasn't exposed to much before, and maybe it's changing slightly in that you wouldn't see such big advertising and bookings for some of the queens before RPDR all over the country, things were more regional. With the exception of say, Mimi, who has always worked hard to diversify her act but even so she was East Coast not National before. I'm guessing she's having problems even getting good bookings in her home state Ohio etc.

I think she also is having some kind of complaint about TS girls or pseudo TS girls working more, probably because TS is becoming more acceptable (for lack of a better term) and somehow they're wrong (like for being on RPDR) but it's hard to tell that part of her rant what she's mad about lol. I could be wrong about that and don't have the energy to sort thru her rant though!

It makes no sense to me because Carmen and her famous TG drag mother have been doing the same act successfully for many years in the same bar that caters to that style of body queen. It’s no secret and India should be fully aware of it imo. Another reason why India needs to STFU about Carmen. If your drag mother is a transitioned woman and you do her style of drag, and are part of a TG drag family, HELLO?

Edited by allegory, Mar 30, 2012 @ 5:50 PM.

The Void

The Void

Fanatic

Posted Mar 30, 2012 @ 5:46 PM

She was definitely referring to Carmen by making that "transsexual" comment.

To anyone who was wondering, Carmen is taking hormones for her body. Apparently, she's been very open about it. I don't think this means she is transitioning to become a 'real woman' however.

I think India partly somewhat angry because that poll left her in the dust. She was near last in the polls the entire time basically.

Edited by The Void, Mar 30, 2012 @ 6:14 PM.

Fuzubanu

Fuzubanu

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 30, 2012 @ 5:50 PM

Shifting gears, the polls for All Stars have closed. Here are the top 10:

• Sharon Needles - 18965 votes
  • Pandora Boxx - 18824 votes
  • Mimi Imfurst - 13785 votes
  • Manila Luzon - 10225 votes
  • Jujubee - 10070 votes
  • Nina Flowers - 9991 votes
  • Raven - 9978 votes
  • Shangela Laquifa Wadley - 9437 votes
  • Yara Sofia - 9103 votes
  • Latrice Royale - 8693 votes

Not going to lie - I would love it if THIS was the final cast. A powerhouse cast of some of the most interesting queens.

The Void

The Void

Fanatic

Posted Mar 30, 2012 @ 6:01 PM

I'd switch out Shangela, Mimi, and Yara.

If that were the final cast, it would be very season 2/season 3 heavy. It'll be interesting to see how they end up casting for the show now that Sharon is a lock for it. They HAVE to have Pandora otherwise her fans will boycott the show, haha.

S1 - Nina Flowers
S2 - Raven, Pandora Boxx, Shangela [kind of], Jujubee
S3 - Manila Luzon, Yara Sofia, Shangela, Mimi Imfurst
S4 - Sharon Needles, Latrice Royale

I really hope Ongina gets asked to come back.

"Spoilers" regarding All-Stars.
Spoiler

Edited by The Void, Mar 30, 2012 @ 6:09 PM.

Nena

Nena

Fanatic

Posted Mar 30, 2012 @ 6:22 PM

I'd switch out Shangela, Mimi, and Yara.

You need Shangela - someone has to go home first.

scarlet1815

scarlet1815

Fanatic

Posted Mar 30, 2012 @ 6:25 PM

To anyone who was wondering, Carmen is taking hormones for her body. Apparently, she's been very open about it. I don't think this means she is transitioning to become a 'real woman' however.

Ooh, The Void, can you relink that pic with the "See more"s expanded? I want alllll the goss on this catfight.

India is CLEARLY just pissed that her career and bookings haven't taken off like some of the other queens' have. Her post was a bunch of whiny, transparent nonsense.

Edited by scarlet1815, Mar 30, 2012 @ 6:25 PM.

Maleficent

Maleficent

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 30, 2012 @ 6:34 PM

It's a good list, except that Shannel isn't on it! I do luv me some Shannel and think that I've seem waaaay more than enough of Shangela.

Blixx

Blixx

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 30, 2012 @ 7:08 PM

I don't think Willam is coming back this season, since if the spoiler is true or not. I think it will be Alisa, I'm thinking that will be the twist - if you go back and look at her "pissed as me" segment, she wore a blue dress that wasn't seen at all during her first and only episode.

And all Phical has is hate, she is fueled and powered by hate and is a living-breathing walking contradictory who hates on everyone else but cries teh "hater" game when people call her out on it. She needs to retire from drag and stay off of my TV.

Chrysaor

Chrysaor

Fanatic

Posted Mar 30, 2012 @ 7:09 PM

They can switch out Raven; IIRC she's supposed to be serving a jail sentence for drunk driving.

allegory

allegory

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 30, 2012 @ 7:25 PM

She was definitely referring to Carmen by making that "transsexual" comment.

I thought so too. But then I re-read it and thought she said the Drag Race people asked if they "knew a certain person". Of course they all know Carmen so I thought she meant someone for Season 5. Which is what prompted India to ask if Trans people were now allowed on the show. But I could be wrong, her writing is word salad.

The Void

The Void

Fanatic

Posted Mar 30, 2012 @ 7:46 PM

Alisa was in a different outfit for the $100,000 dollar reveal too, I think. Jiggly also had a different outfit for that, so I don't think it's any indication really.

If they want to be fair, they're going to bring back Willam. (Missed the least challenges like how Carmen only missed the hair challenge last time) If they want to go with what they 'love', they're probably bringing back Kenya. I don't see her doing too well working with a DILF though.

Edited by The Void, Mar 30, 2012 @ 7:50 PM.

BlakeSpeare

BlakeSpeare

Fanatic

Posted Mar 30, 2012 @ 8:21 PM

Dida's the one who would have missed the fewest challenges - she wouldn't have missed any.

Sol Apollo

Sol Apollo

Fanatic

Posted Mar 30, 2012 @ 9:09 PM

Her criticisms about Drag Race portraying drag queens as bitchy is still bullshit, though.

My thought when I read her long winded whatever, is that she's obviously never watched reality tv before to know that producers loooove to exploit the drama to make for good tv. And if she's so mad about drag queens being bitch, then STFU and stop being bitchy! If it looks like a bitch, screams and pulls hair like a bitch, you've got a bitch!

The Void

The Void

Fanatic

Posted Mar 30, 2012 @ 9:22 PM

Dida's the one who would have missed the fewest challenges - she wouldn't have missed any.

True, but I don't think they would bring back Dida right after eliminating her.... or will they? That will certainly be interesting. Michelle always seemed to think that something was off about Dida every week though so it seems unlikely.

AtlanticVamp

AtlanticVamp

Fanatic

Posted Mar 30, 2012 @ 9:49 PM

Wow, the link to Carmen's Facebook is...wow.

I'm not sure who I like less in that: Carmen or Shane (India). I get Carmen might be pissed, but Carmen wasn't listed by name in India/Shane's rant. Plus, Carmen digging her heel in "you're so interested in my life", and "you could be my PR person"? Calm down, bitch.

The Void

The Void

Fanatic

Posted Mar 30, 2012 @ 10:37 PM

She wasn't listed by name, but apparently there's a secret group of the casting directors/contestants where India brought up the transsexual thing and was shot down by other contestants. Plus who else would India have been talking about? Stacey Lane is a possibility since she's openly trans, it seems.

Hmm..all this is very funny to me..We have a little Drag Race group with all of our cast members and casting director and we were personally asked if we knew who a certain person was and this person lives her life as a woman..I simply responded and asked if transexuals were being allowed on the show and then everyone of the former cast members went off on me saying I was throwing her under the bus. Um. No not at all. I was just simply asking a question because this person is a transexual and a beautiful one at that. I just find it funny..Watch your back ladies! ;)

I have never seen anything like this in my life where some of these queens are so obsessed with the fame and they think their **** doesnt stink and to the point where they are transitioning into women and can't even be honest with their fans about it.

Carmen is the only one who is extremely cryptic about it, even on her fanpage. I can't tell if India was being asked about a potential season 5 contestant or not since most TS girls are being rejected from being cast.

Edited by The Void, Mar 30, 2012 @ 10:40 PM.

jani14344

jani14344

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 31, 2012 @ 3:19 AM

Raven did go to jail but was released the next day.

Edited by jani14344, Mar 31, 2012 @ 3:19 AM.

ElectricBoogalo

ElectricBoogalo

Stalker

Posted Mar 31, 2012 @ 6:48 AM

Carmen responds to India on FB (apparently India was deleting some of the posts on her FB page so thankfully someone screencapped them)

Edited by ElectricBoogalo, Mar 31, 2012 @ 6:49 AM.

irishcyke

irishcyke

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 31, 2012 @ 8:11 AM

Hey folks, new RPDR fan here. Just got into it with this season and this seems to be the only dedicated forum/discussion thread i can find on the show.

So, i just finished watching S2 and i didn't enjoy it as much as i'm enjoying this season. A lot of the queens came off quite aggressive and loud and two faced/bitchy to me. Raven, Morgan, Sonique, Tyra all seemed to have that bitch pack mentality against those they deemed beneath them or unworthy(Mystique/Tati) which was an instant turn off for me. Yes, a lot of what they said was valid, but there is a way to word these things without looking like a bitter pressed b*tch. These queens were hardly full of grace.

Speaking of Raven...i know he's very popular...but i'm not sure exactly why? He was a strong contender, a good performer and had his funny moments...but his personality? Yikes. Cold, narcissistic, arrogant, passive/aggressive, bitter..just unlikable imo. Maybe it was the editing, but it's clear that his problems with Tati were his own personal issues(her natural fish look) so all his attacks against her just felt like him grinding an axe rather than speaking her mind. Tati was annoying at times, and a bit of an air head....but i felt like a lot of her sniping was just bite back against the constant streams of passive aggression from the other girls.

I'm wasn't part of the fandom at the time, so just curious on what the general opinion is on S2 and Raven/Tati.

tessa261

tessa261

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 31, 2012 @ 8:27 AM

Speaking of Raven...i know he's very popular...but i'm not sure exactly why? He was a strong contender, a good performer and had his funny moments...but his personality? Yikes. Cold, narcissistic, arrogant, passive/aggressive, bitter..just unlikable imo. Maybe it was the editing, but it's clear that his problems with Tati were his own personal issues(her natural fish look) so all his attacks against her just felt like him grinding an axe rather than speaking her mind. Tati was annoying at times, and a bit of an air head....but i felt like a lot of her sniping was just bite back against the constant streams of passive aggression from the other girls.

I don't think Raven was popular during season 2 and however much of a bitch she was, she was a fierce competitor and there were grains of truth to things she was saying about tati. I think Raven is getting a bit of a more sympathetic look in comparison to later seasons - especially PhiPhi, whose vitriol is unmatched, has arguably less talent than anyone else (esp left but possibly top 10), and her hatred is directed towards people with much more talent than herself

irishcyke

irishcyke

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 31, 2012 @ 8:37 AM

I don't think Raven was popular during season 2 and however much of a bitch she was, she was a fierce competitor and there were grains of truth to things she was saying about tati. I think Raven is getting a bit of a more sympathetic look in comparison to later seasons - especially PhiPhi, whose vitriol is unmatched, has arguably less talent than anyone else (esp left but possibly top 10), and her hatred is directed towards people with much more talent than herself

Oh yeah, i totally agree. Regardless of her attitude/personality, Raven is a fierce Queen. I was just surprised to read so many people saying that she should have won the season(i mean, i guess Tyra was pretty vacant, but she worked that runway) when she got what i would say is a villain edit. And yeah, she was right about Tati, but the about of hate she spilled in her direction just made her look bad. She also did well in the all stars voting. Perhaps it's because she was such a big personality/fierce competitor people have gotten over her constant stinkface.

And yeah, i guess compared to Phi Phi...she looks like a saint lol.

The Void

The Void

Fanatic

Posted Mar 31, 2012 @ 9:09 AM

Sharon did an interview on a "How Was Your Week?" podcast (about 30 minutes in) and mentioned that Phi Phi O'Hara had never seen Paris is Burning and the other queens had tried to show it to her but she fell asleep. As far as I know, that is a requirement to participate in the show so you get the references.

Sharon also mentioned that she was originally going to do Cher for Snatch Game. She also was going to do Lady GaGa after that before switching to Michelle Visage according to another interview.

Edited by The Void, Mar 31, 2012 @ 9:29 AM.

bluvelvet

bluvelvet

Fanatic

Posted Mar 31, 2012 @ 9:13 AM

Pity Phi2 is still here, I hope she goes next week. As for the returning queen I think it should be one of the earlier ousters, however whomever it is, I hope that it's NOT Jiggly or Kenya.

Sad to see Shannel didn't make the top 10 for the All stars as I love me some Shannel.

As for India's rant, it's kind of sad and his age is showing. He needs to look at the bigger picture and realized what Drag Race has done in terms of bringing Drag to the mainstream by giving it more exposure. You never know, seeing Drag Race may have helped some parents/family/friends be more accepting of someone in their life. Rupaul has been doing drag longer than India has been alive, I think he should get some respect for that. If he wants to quit drag that so be it, I wish him luck, but WHY the need to write a dissertation about it online, vs a two liner saying that it saddens him but he is quitting.

As for the DRAMA of it all, it's a reality show and all reality shows are scripted to some extent to bring maximum drama so they can get ratings and not get cancelled. It's not only Drag Race that does it but ANY reality show. Rupaul is playing the same game that others play to get ahead.

As for Carmen and the hormones, she looks more feminized now that she did on the show so I wonder if the hormones came into play post Drag Race?

As for Dida, it was time for her to go and I loved her sweet personality. Something that has been bothering me about Dida is that, she says she goes for FISH, YET does nothing to cover up the very manly body. The legs are great but there are no hips, I think padding would go a long way with Dida and padding would help to balance out the shoulders.

Edited by bluvelvet, Mar 31, 2012 @ 9:48 AM.

BlakeSpeare

BlakeSpeare

Fanatic

Posted Mar 31, 2012 @ 9:14 AM

I've also seen a lot of comments from people who said that Raven should have won the season, and most of them were made at the time the season was airing. I think she's always had a pretty strong fanbase.

I suspect there are a lot of people who liked her style and just don't care about whether she's nice or not. And there seem to be a number of people out there who consider Tatianna a bitch, who took Raven's side in their feud.

Also, I've heard a lot of comments from people who say they weren't bothered by her harping on Tati because even though it was mean, she was "funny" about it.

My feeling about Raven is that even aside from her rather toxic personality, there was something lacking there. She always looked like a man in a dress, even when she was trying to look femme.

scarlet1815

scarlet1815

Fanatic

Posted Mar 31, 2012 @ 9:52 AM

Raven had fans and detractors during her season, but her skillz were always generally acknowledged, and I think her many appearances on Drag U turned some former non-fans into fans, just like it did for Morgan McMichaels. On Drag U she still has a sharp tongue, but she's warmer and more human. Whether that's editing or just the fact that there aren't competitive stakes, who knows. Raven is practically a lock for All-Stars, so I guess we'll see whether she reverts to bitter bitch.

pomme de divan

pomme de divan

Fanatic

Posted Mar 31, 2012 @ 9:56 AM

India is making the right decision. When you hate your job-it's time to move on.
I'm appalled with her bitch slapping everyone in her field on the way out.
Classy exit, Miss Ferrah.