RuPaul's Drag Race

• Please log in to reply

14215 replies to this topic

Terabyter

Terabyter

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 29, 2012 @ 8:06 PM

I'm disappointed to see Kenya go (especially because Milan's time is limited) but girl basically just rehashed Miss Puerto Rico's national costume.

http://photogallery....nal-costume.jpg

tessa261

tessa261

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 29, 2012 @ 8:14 PM

I'm disappointed to see Kenya go (especially because Milan's time is limited) but girl basically just rehashed Miss Puerto Rico's national costume.

http://photogallery....nal-costume.jpg

Ouch.

Fuzubanu

Fuzubanu

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 29, 2012 @ 8:16 PM

Dandesun - Yes, Phi Phi should have changed directions the second he couldn't explain what he could do with Gaga. Watching him actually bite out "I AM HIRED ACROSS THE COUNTRY FOR MY GAGA LOOK" was pretty shocking. Did he forget that Ru is THE judge? I'm going to say the same thing PhiPhi said at the start of the season - we're on Season 4 now. If you plan to come on this show, learn how to sew. Learn how to apply makeup and style wigs. And, for the love of the pit crew, pick out a celebrity character that you can win the Snatch Game with. Come up with three or four jokes that work with the character. The Snatch Game is one of the most important challenges each season. The viewers remember who did well and who bombed in this challenge more than any other episode each season, and if you're the latter people aren't going to want you to win it all.

But it doesn't change the fact that Gaga CAN be done well. Scribble on the answer card, and when Ru asks what that is go "Can't read my, can't read my, no you can't read my answer card!" Pretend you don't know who Cher is when Chad starts going on about all Cher has accomplished. Play off that old joke that Gaga has a penis. You're a drag queen - the joke is tucked right there!

Bungalow Joy

Bungalow Joy

Stalker

Posted Feb 29, 2012 @ 8:18 PM

Well...Gaga talks a lot about being an "artist" when she's really a canny showman whose actual musical canon is about Debbie Gibson depth. La Dolce Vita American-acting-Eurotrash was the key, throwing in some French and Italian, pretending she sleeps with women and means it, and offering some bullshit about how in the highlands of New Guinea you show appreciation for beauty by cutting off a lock of hair. Then tossing up her pubes like confetti. "Mangia! Mangia!"

That's Gaga to me, anyway. Well meaning pomposity. As mentioned upthread. But also mentioned, Phi Phi's just wasn't about to lampoon an idol, which kind of is a problem of courage.

buttercupia

buttercupia

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 29, 2012 @ 8:22 PM

girl basically just rehashed Miss Puerto Rico's national costume.

Oh yikes, that is rough. Girl really did not have much going on. Maybe in a few years, after she gets some personality lessons from Yessica.

OT, but if anyone's interested, here's my photo set from last night's show with Alaska and co.
http://www.flickr.co...57629485177187/

kieyra

kieyra

Fanatic

Posted Feb 29, 2012 @ 8:46 PM

Finally got to see Untucked. (This is not a sentence I would have typed last year. Take note, RPDR powers-that-be. I like it when you don't make me hate every last one of them.) I grudgingly like Willam a bit more. The cardboard cutout was pretty funny.

I know explanations were already offered, but watching Latrice sit basically nekkid under the draped dress/cushion was a little unsettling, or at least took me out of the show.

It kind of drives me nuts that Milan is still on the show. I know that it was six of one/half doz of other between her and Kenya in terms of suckitude, but at least Kenya is fun to look at it. I also have to give Jiggly credit for the line about Milan (in her suit) looking like an extra from Hairspray.

BloggerAloud

BloggerAloud

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 29, 2012 @ 9:26 PM

One of my favorite things is that if you look at the name card in front of Willam during the Snatch Game, he's purposely misspelled Jessica's name twice before writing it correctly. Such a great touch.

love danielle

love danielle

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 29, 2012 @ 10:10 PM

During the judging panel when RuPaul said the queens need to bring their A-Game, 4 contestants came to mind: Chad, Sharon, Willam and Latrice. They seem to be the only ones taking the competition seriously.

Edited by love danielle, Feb 29, 2012 @ 10:11 PM.

Lulah

Lulah

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 29, 2012 @ 10:23 PM

To be fair to PhiPhi, I think part of Ru's job is to create a little nervousness and uncertainty when he walks around the makeup room asking what everyone's wearing/who they're doing. It's sometimes really hard to know when you should take it seriously, and when his comments should really be something to consider. For all Ru knew, PhiPhi had a killer comic Gaga in his back pocket. Really, at that point, though, PhiPhi was going to do Gaga anyway, and it's not like he could suddenly get a grip on the requirement for the challenge if he hadn't done so as a result of watching the two previous Snatch Games.

I'm on the DiDa love train, as well. I don't think she has a shot at winning, but I love her personality, and I'm glad she's on RPDR this season. I'd be good with her being top 5, though. Would love to see someone take her under their wing, and to see her skills improve as the show goes on.

Rai

Rai

Fanatic

Posted Mar 1, 2012 @ 12:31 AM

As annoying as Milan is in all other respects, I'd actually really like to see her and Dida lipsynch for their lives together. Not because I want Dida gone -- I am digging me some Dida -- but because they're both such high-energy performers as we've seen now, and Milan's Vogue performance was way better than when she went up against LaQueer. So if nothing else, it would be a fun showdown. And then Milan would sashay away (since it's all fantasy in my head right now anyway).

I didn't mind Jiggly as much as the other letdowns. Kenya and Milan? Totally the right bottom two, but girl, PhiPhi, count your lucky stars you aren't quite as crazy as those two were. Your Gaga looked great, but you were so awful in the personality part -- the part that actually counts -- that I would've happily gone for a three-way showdown. Good lord.

Chad, LOVE. Latrice, LOVE even though her performance wasn't the best. Sharon, LOVE AND THERE ARE NO OTHER WORDS. God, her Michelle Visage was so amazing! Taking the J train! Limelight! Drugs with Ru! Astounding.

And Willem? Hilarious from start to finish. I actually sort of wish he had been winding everyone up on the stage because even though that would've been horribly mean to do, it also was about the most audaciously funny shit pulled on the show ever. I really do see more of a boy in a dress than I do a lady Queen with him, but I'm endlessly entertained by this character.

pomme de divan

pomme de divan

Fanatic

Posted Mar 1, 2012 @ 1:16 AM

I don't dislike Willam.
She is droll and witty and pretty.
But I think her personality is too subtle & low key compared to the snap, crackle & pop of Sharon, Chad & Latrice.
Why is there no bonus footage of this ep on Logo?

The Void

The Void

Fanatic

Posted Mar 1, 2012 @ 2:13 AM

There is bonus footage. Here is the link.

"Bye! I'm going to Macy's!"

AtlanticVamp

AtlanticVamp

Fanatic

Posted Mar 1, 2012 @ 2:32 AM

Tom and Lorenzo hit it on the head about Phi2:

When is someone going to seriously address the fucked up way she puts on her eye makeup? And how does she manage to go from cute 20-something boy to scary 50-something woman so easily?

Indeed.

I'm surprised Michelle hasn't brought it up, especially.

buttercupia

buttercupia

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 1, 2012 @ 6:50 AM

Looking at the TLo thing, did Latrice wear the jewels she won last week? lol. Also, DiDa's look was really, really well-proportioned. It made her look like a real life barbie doll. Much better done than I initially gave her credit for.

tommie

tommie

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 1, 2012 @ 9:11 AM

I don't get how two queens managed to get Diana Ross AND Beyoncé wrong - how hard is it to play someone who is a bitch but is pretending to be sweet?! They're essentially the same sort of persona and both absolutely MURDERED it! Also - Phi-Phi's Lady GaGa was tragic - "I've been hired all over the country"; by who?! Gay bars in the south that no one wants to go to?

Sharon Needles took a huge risk and it paid off - kudos to her.

Willam... ugh. I think he does have a reason to brag as an actor/actress, but really, that was too much. Get over yourself.

Chad Michaels does do a good Cher and I think it was a risk for him.

Bourgeois Nerd

Bourgeois Nerd

Stalker

Posted Mar 1, 2012 @ 9:29 AM

Really, if Milan and Kenya wanted to make Diana Ross and Beyonce funny, all they had to do was watch a little Got2BReal [NSFW Language]! (And thought Latrice's Aretha was okay, she could sharpen it up with some viewing as well. Hakuna matata, bitches!)

Edited by Bourgeois Nerd, Mar 1, 2012 @ 9:29 AM.

bluelantern

bluelantern

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 1, 2012 @ 9:34 AM

Thanks to whoever posted that Willam comment from the TLo site. I hope he doesn't actually think some of us are ditching on him because of what I'll dub The Crying Game. At this point I believe that he was being genuine (I've seen him post about this on multiple blogs, including my own), but even if he wasn't, it didn't make me like him less. I find Willam to be one of the most entertaining thing about this season. He's so funny, sharp, and witty, is serving up some great looks on the runway, and has acquitted himself well in all the challenges. I have no problem staying on his wagon, and he needn't even worry about the chili. I will take the Adderall, though.

On that tip, I fear saying this because things could go VERY wrong very quickly, but I am so enjoying this season. It is maybe my favorite of the bunch. Yes, we still have some duds left to kick off, but there is a group of four queens -- that's 1/3 of the competition -- who are routinely giving me EVERYTHING, and we had some decent second-stringers too (I would put Dida, Princess, and maybe even LaQueer in there). While we had to go through some busted, messy contestants to get to this point, I don't know if we've ever had a stronger field overall. (Except maybe Season 1, but the production values were so low that they do diminish the show a bit in my mind.)

dirtybubble

dirtybubble

Fanatic

Posted Mar 1, 2012 @ 11:22 AM

One of my favorite things is that if you look at the name card in front of Willam during the Snatch Game, he's purposely misspelled Jessica's name twice before writing it correctly. Such a great touch.

I didn't notice that either until I saw it on TLo's blog as well. Its little attention to details that make his performance great. But I wonder if perhaps the details were too subtle and thats why he didn't get all the love he deserved.

Yeah I'm still on the Willam love train. The crying speech shown on the runway was brillant! Totally Willam and like I've said before if it was done by anyone else it would be annoying but he can pull it off.

I fear saying this because things could go VERY wrong very quickly, but I am so enjoying this season. It is maybe my favorite of the bunch.

I agree! What I like about this season is there are so many likeable queens. Last season, while there were some uber fierceness going on, ALOT of them were just sour pusses that grated my nerves. It is still early in the season and we aren't half way thru yet but so far this queens are very enjoyable to watch. Yeah maybe not as polished as seasons in the past but enough are in the game that have talent in spades.

Edited by dirtybubble, Mar 1, 2012 @ 11:23 AM.

DollEyes

DollEyes

Fanatic

Posted Mar 1, 2012 @ 12:20 PM

I love Chad Michaels like a drag queen loves high heels. Her Cher didn't just own this year's "Snatch Game," to paraphrase Dida, "It was 'Snatch Game.'" Her take on Cher was, to quote the real Michelle Visage's comment to Phi2 in the "World's Trashiest Fighters" episode, "freaking hil-ar-io-us." My shit was cracking up the whole time. By choosing Cher, Chad stayed inside and stepped outside her comfort zone at the same time. Since Chad is a professional Cher impersonator, choosing Cher was a gamble. It could have been a complete disaster. That it wasn't was because of Chad. Runway-wise, Chad's look was more Gaga than whatever Phi2 did this week. Phi 2's runway look was a hot mess. Even Jiggly and Dida looked better. Speaking of Phi2, she made one step forward, but took some huge leaps back. It was sweet of Phi2 to give the phone call to Chad, but just when it seemed like Phi2 had turned over a new leaf, she attacked Sharon and Willam again. Phi2 was so sure that her Gaga was the shit and Sharon's Michelle Visage would get her eliminated because, according to her, Sharon is an untalented loser. Nevermind that Sharon has already won two main challenges so far, has been on one winning team and got high praise from the subject of her "Snatch Game" impersonation-a judge, at that-and the rest of the judges, including Ru, while Phi2 was read to filth for her impersonation and look and rightfully so, on both counts. What Chad knows and Phi2 doesn't is that there's much more to celebrity impressions than just doing their look, imitating their voice and/or their moves-it's their persona that counts, which is why Chad's worked while Phi2's didn't. As for Phi2's throwing shade at Willam for his breakdown on the runway, even if it was fake, at least it was funny, unlike Phi2's Gaga impression. On the subject of Willam, she was fabulous, as usual. Her Jessica Simpson was as funny as Chad's Cher, as shown by her answering a question with an arrow pointed at "Aretha," and her "going to Macy's" and leaving a cardboard cutout in her place. Willam's runway look, like her performance, was one of the best of the week. And then, there's Sharon. Between her Michelle Visage impression and her runway look, Sharon showed why she's already a frontrunner and IMO one of the fiercest queens on the show ever. Phi2 only wishes she had Sharon's charisma, uniqueness, nerve and talent.

Re Dida, her Wendy Williams was OK, but what would have been funnier had her voice kept getting deeper by the minute, she pulled some answers out of wig and scratched her balls. About Jiggly, she actually impressed me this week. Not because of her Snooki, which was as tacky, dreadful and pregnant-looking as the original is (or soon will be, re the latter-ugh!) or the fucked-up shenanigans that followed, much of which she caused, but because of her taking responsibility for/apologizing for her part in them-again, unlike Phi2. Jiggly even managed to look way better than Phi2 on the runway, which isn't that hard, plus she was great in Untucked re the "Snatch Game," with Dida and Latrice. Re Latrice, well, Christmas on a croissant, is she fierce or what? Her Aretha was good, as was her runway, but when she she ripped into those responsible for the "Snatch Game" debacle, she ruled like the Queen Mama she is. When convicts are more mature than drag queens, something's wrong. Jiggly, Phi2's & Kenya's behaviour was rude, childish and unprofessional, they knew it, Latrice called them on it and I heart her for it. Re Milan, what a mess. her Diana Ross was bad, but her Jonelle Monae was worse. She should have worn black pumps instead of saddle shoes and a stuffed bra wouldn't have hurt either. Only her LSFYL worked because at least she kept her wig on this time. Re Kenya, WTF was she thinking? She could have picked any number of Latina stars to impersonate: Shakira (sang her answers and belly danced everytime Ru talked to her) Sofia Vergara ( tight sweater, tight pants and breast plates), Penelope Cruz in Nine or Vicky Cristina Barcelona or Salma Hayek. For that one, Kenya could have worn a breastplate, a nice suit/dress/gown, carried a purse full of money since her husband's a billionaire and breastfed a Black baby doll. Kenya's Beyonce was like an epileptic on crack. Beyonce has never looked, sounded or acted like Kenya's version, falling aside. Kenya's beautiful, but America's Next Drag Superstar should serve more than fish.

Edited by DollEyes, Mar 1, 2012 @ 12:34 PM.

Bungalow Joy

Bungalow Joy

Stalker

Posted Mar 1, 2012 @ 12:54 PM

There's all different kinds of drag we've learned. From watching a lot of competitive reality shows, I've come to recognize another type: contestant drag. I don't doubt Jiggy's screen-filling lamentations over missing the anniversary of his Mom's death were real, but I don't doubt it was part performance per storyline either. Whether by beaten-in instict or asshole intent, Willam knows this is one big audition. The incessant name dropping is hilarious; the tears and "...so I can win" recovery was hilarious. If that's blurring the lines between reality and show biz, well, that's drag. There's lucrative work behind that fourth wall and Willam wants some. Work it!

BlakeSpeare

BlakeSpeare

Fanatic

Posted Mar 1, 2012 @ 1:15 PM

I think her THs said 21, but I can't swear to it. I would think as long as the winner is 21 by the end of the season, it should be fine.

I rewatched the first episode recently, and Kenya said that she was 21. (And her age was given as 21 whenever it appeared on the screen.)

Watching that episode again, at this point in the season, was interesting. A few things stood out to me:

1. Latrice was the last one to enter the workroom, just like Bebe, Tyra, and Raja before her.

2. Everyone had an odd reaction to Milan's entrance, because she was dressed more like a man than a woman. (Foreshadowing the Janelle Monae outfit?)

3. Jiggly is 30. For all I know, they may have shown her age regularly throughout the season, but this was the first time I noticed it. 30? Seriously? She acts like she's 5.

Lucifyr

Lucifyr

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 1, 2012 @ 1:23 PM

SO here's my take on how to make Gaga a functional Snatch Game contestant. Phi2 honey, take notes:

We all know that good comedic impersonation drag is taking one aspect of someone and making it OTT while keeping the look as real as possible. So I'll give Phi2 props that the look could have worked... she just picked the totally wrong thing to go OTT with.. Twitching like a fat man's belly hooked to electrodes isn't funny.

What could have been funny? Taking Gaga's sense of self promotion OTT.

Snatch Game : "Dumb Didi is SO Dumb, she though an STD was something you got from _____________"
Gaga: "Well I don't know what she thought she got it from, but she didn't get it from my new single, available on iTunes and Amazon right now."

Snatch Game: "Fat Fanny was SO fat that she actually sweats __________"
Gaga: "She sweats the bacon grease I used to keep my meat dress from drying out when I won that award at the 2010 VMA's."

Of course this may be just funny to me, but I think it would have been a damn sight better than the twitchy screechy mess that Phi2 was.

Bourgeois Nerd

Bourgeois Nerd

Stalker

Posted Mar 1, 2012 @ 1:39 PM

Tom and Lorenzo pointed out something I think might be an issue for Latrice going forward: she's not being diverse. She's giving glamour and ELEGANZA like no one's business, but Sharon and Willam and Chad are giving variety, and Ru likes that (and so do most of us). I really need her to pull out something other than a gown. And also something has to give with that make-up. It's just not working.

tany1819

tany1819

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 1, 2012 @ 3:07 PM

Tom and Lorenzo pointed out something I think might be an issue for Latrice going forward: she's not being diverse.

Agreed. And I need someone to gently tell her about her makeup. I'm really surprised that the judges haven't read her on the yellow face yet.

Here is what I'm getting from this season. Overall, these queens are unpolished and in my opinion...not ready. I feel like its a competition full of Shangela's. Girls who have pieces of the puzzle but are missing the big picture. Obviously this excludes Chad, Sharon, Willam and I'll even throw in Latrice because she does have a developed character in Latrice.

It just makes me wonder what their audition tapes looked like. On this show, they appear unfinished overall. I mean we've got people wearing raggedy wigs and walking down the runway without lotion, for goodness sakes! This should not happen.

Milan: I like her better as a boy, and I have never said that about a drag queen before. If I were him I'd move on from drag and focus more on entertaining as a man. Real talk. And her Diana? There are no words for that. Milan needs to figure out where he wants to go and work towards it. I don't think drag is the direction for him. Just my opinion.

Jiggly: She stomps down the runway consistently in ill-fitting clothes and bad wigs and simply lacks the personality to be engaging. I'm not a fan.

Chad: She can do no wrong. Let's fast forward to her winning, kay? Her Cher was beyond fierce. And I feel like she has no real competition on this show.

Sharon: I love her. I love that she is diverse.

Phi Phi: She is too hype on herself. She is Alexis Mateo--the generic version. Stop criticizing the other queens and bring it. She is so quick to shade everyone else and she is barely middle of the pack.

Kenya: I'm glad she went home. I have been in a situation where I had to speak another language other than my native tongue and its hard! It takes real focus and concentration. I don't think Kenya had that. Not to mention she was resting on pretty from day one. She needs more polish.

Dida: I like her, but I don't think she will make it much further. Once again, the personality is there but the look is not. I see man in a dress everytime I look at her. I see busted wigs and I see less than impressive clothes. I'm not into it.

Willam: I really love him. I think its because he is really honest and blunt but its not disarming, if that makes sense. I get him. I also think that he is smart and shameless. Nothing wrong with a shameless queen!

Latrice: I love her so much. I can see her getting pigeonholed and I can see Latrice fading towards to the bottom of the pack. I love that she is mama bear to these girls but at the same time I wish she would channel more energy into winning. Her getting pissed at Snatch Game was uncalled for.

The Void

The Void

Fanatic

Posted Mar 1, 2012 @ 3:29 PM

1. Latrice was the last one to enter the workroom, just like Bebe, Tyra, and Raja before her.

It would be strange if they kept that pattern going in the fourth season but we'll see as we get closer to the finale.

buttercupia

buttercupia

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 1, 2012 @ 4:49 PM

I wouldn't worry too much about diversity, Tyra got praised for clothes all the damn time. And at least Latrice is talented.

Asari

Asari

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 1, 2012 @ 6:30 PM

Chad: She can do no wrong. Let's fast forward to her winning, kay? Her Cher was beyond fierce. And I feel like she has no real competition on this show.

I was concerned about her doing Cher because that's a drag cliché, even after she detailed what Cher means to her. But Chad did the best Cher I had ever seen, it was so brilliant and so funny.

Lesson: know your target well (I'm looking at you "Beyoncé", "Diana" and "Gaga.")

I'm happy Chad won the challenge and if she wins the season, even better.

Hunny Bunny

Hunny Bunny

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 1, 2012 @ 7:23 PM

I really need her to pull out something other than a gown. And also something has to give with that make-up. It's just not working.

I really think that Latrice's makeup looks worse on camera than it does in person. That's the only explaination that I can think of as to why they haven't said anything to her. Someone metioned up thread that she probably used to working in a night club which is darker than TV lighting and that really makes a difference.

Latrice, Chad and Sharon are my favorites. I would be happy if any of them one.

kieyra

kieyra

Fanatic

Posted Mar 1, 2012 @ 9:37 PM

I realized I haven't mentioned it explicitly, so I'll go ahead and add to the pile: I've pretty much been fully charmed by Sharon ever since she had the balls to do the Joan Rivers-esque/aging-star catwalk. Whenever she does depart from the goth look, such as with "Michelle Visage", she commits to it 100%.

I didn't realize the winner has always been the last to enter the workroom. I really hate to feel like the seasons are all plotted in advance including the winners. I'm a reality show virgin aside from this show, so I want to feel like it's merit-based, dammit. (Aside from obvious plants like Shangela--I get that they need a certain amount of drama.)

Edited by kieyra, Mar 1, 2012 @ 9:37 PM.

Montavilla

Montavilla

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 1, 2012 @ 11:06 PM

I really think that Latrice's makeup looks worse on camera than it does in person. That's the only explaination that I can think of as to why they haven't said anything to her

It took a long time for any of the judges to read Manilla Luzon on her make-up, which had a similar problem. Did Billy B. get a chance to critique Latrice? I can't remember right now if he did, or if Latrice was in the "safe" group when he guested.

I'm finding it a little upsetting to hear Phi-Phi compared to Alexis Mateo, because I ended up having a lot of admiration for Alexis. Alexis could be nasty, but she wasn't yelling across the room at people. And her look mainly suffered because she stuck to a style. Phi-Phi sticks to a style and she doesn't do it nearly as well as India or any number of queens from Season 3.

But I am enjoying this season. Last year, it seemed that at this time, there were at least five top contenders: Raja, Manilla, Alexis, Yara, and Shangela. I'd say the serious money was on Raja or Manilla to win, so there were two outstanding queens, and three others very close on their heels. I'd even throw Delta in there, since she was only starting to get annoying backstage, and her onstage look was great. Stacey's style wavered from okay to what-was-she-thinking, and Carmen's performance was flatline mediocre.

This season, there are three very serious contenders: Chad, Latrice, and Sharon. Willam's close to them, but right now seems to be coasting a little. The other four are just waiting to be eliminated. Dida's got potential, but I doubt she can put everything together by the end of the race. Milan may last if they go into the "look" rounds, because she can do stuff that's polished and interesting. I think Phi-Phi and Jiggly will go in the next two weeks. Ru told Phi-Phi to step it up, and I don't think Phi-Phi can without going over the edge.

Edited by Montavilla, Mar 2, 2012 @ 12:40 AM.