RuPaul's Drag Race

• Please log in to reply

14199 replies to this topic

buttercupia

buttercupia

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 22, 2012 @ 12:38 PM

To me, Jessica's RuPaul was my all-time favorite Snatch Game moment, but I have a weakness for Ms Wild.

PhiPhi doing Gaga. Could be a tough one. From the preview glimpse, it did not look good. It also looked like she was wearing the same outfit from the wrestling challenge, which confused me.

Dandesun

Dandesun

Stalker

Posted Feb 22, 2012 @ 1:32 PM

I do have to say, though, Chad can obviously do a LOT more than just Cher. She's smart for giving completely different looks and styles all the time. Honestly, I think she should have won something, at least in terms of mini-challenges, already.

Well, they did the padding mini-challenge with the ridiculous booties and Chad won her division of that which led to her leading Team Chad in the wrestling challenge, and her team won that as well. And Chad shared the co-winning honors with Madame LaQueer.

Chad hasn't exactly been anonymous. She's doing just fine. I think she's made a mark and will continue to do so. I loved her woman in gold look the other week and her Florence Welch look this week was gorgeous, too.

dyanad

dyanad

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 22, 2012 @ 2:31 PM

Willam has a very distinct advantage in the "Snatch" game. He has been doing a charity event that runs every few months here in LA and has been doing Jessica Simpson in the Mismatch Game for many years. Check out this clip on youtube.

http://www.youtube.c...mp;feature=plcp

BlakeSpeare

BlakeSpeare

Fanatic

Posted Feb 22, 2012 @ 3:19 PM

What was the hand-in-the-face thing that Willam did before he spoke in that video? Is that something Jessica Simpson does?

Edited by BlakeSpeare, Feb 22, 2012 @ 3:25 PM.

Jon N

Jon N

Fanatic

Posted Feb 22, 2012 @ 4:59 PM

I really did not like that LSFYL song, "Trouble", it has a horrible beat to it, not catchy at all. If they were going for a Pink song, the least that they could use is one that is more catchy like "U + Ur Hand", last season there were a lot of bad songs to lip sync.

I don't understand why they can't find good songs, Ace of Base's "Beautiful Life" is a great song to lip sync, it allows the person to bring enough drama to it. Maybe they're purposely going for songs like last night to see who can bring the best out of the worst song?

I like Latrice as a person, but her drag is scaring me, and maybe like some were saying that she purposely does the whole yellow make-up thing for the stage, but that's really unattractive on here. I love Chad's looks since the beginning, she's really impressive, it shows that age and experience really serve you well.

Regarding the Milan vs Madame showdown, that was really bad, even if I thought the song they were going for was bad, I don't understand why Milan felt the need to strip (it has nothing to do with the song), it does reek of desperation, exactly like Yara last season, don't know what else to do, let's just strip down and see what happens.

ScrubMonkey

ScrubMonkey

Fanatic

Posted Feb 22, 2012 @ 5:11 PM

RuPaul did an interview with Tom and Lorenzo in which she says that the queens do in fact hear everything that the judges say.

Thanks. Most of them don't seem to respond, even to blink; maybe they're used to live audiences murmuring all sorts of things. Maybe they're told not to react. But it's always made me wonder. Those are some good quips to come up with on the spot, then. Unless the costumes and looks are known ahead of time and some writers whip them up but somehow I doubt that. The guests often have good lines, too. But I hope RuPaul will soon have occasion to retire "London. Paris. Milan." Heard that a few times now. It's becoming the new "realness."

I like Latrice as a person, but her drag is scaring me

Me too. I was afraid to say it - I don't want to sound mean. But, when she lifts her head up, has that yellow tinge and that big booming voice comes out, with a laugh and those crooked round teeth, I'm not sure if she's a cartoon hippo from Fantasia, or Oogie Boogie. But, I'm scared. (When her head is down and she's relaxed, that does take some of the scare out of it for me. But that goldenrod crayon she uses on her face has got to go.)

What was the hand-in-the-face thing that Willam did before he spoke in that video? Is that something Jessica Simpson does?

Picked her nose and flung it, dumb enough to think the hand hid it. That was the joke, I think. I don't know if Simpson has done that in public.

About Milan pot stirring: She definitely does - but Chad does, too. That's two Untucked where she has done that "what they said to you was horrible. Tell us again!" thing. I guess everybody likes a good gossip session, though?

The Void

The Void

Fanatic

Posted Feb 22, 2012 @ 5:31 PM

I am pretty sure Chad probably got prodded by a producer to bring it up. We never see them, but there are producers sitting in the Gold Bar and Interior Illusions lounge directing the conversations. Raja and Manila mention it in one of their behind the scenes videos. Manila seems to be the only one of the girls who released her FlipCam footage, haha.

I'm also tired of the "London. Paris. Milan." line but I think Milan is so bland that Ru can't come up with anything better to say.

BloggerAloud

BloggerAloud

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 22, 2012 @ 5:47 PM

"London. Paris. Milan" is the boring version of last year's Stacey Layne Bryant Matthews Lattisaw Q nickname, which was amazing because Ru just kept adding on every week.

Saracuda

Saracuda

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 22, 2012 @ 6:07 PM

My assumption during the LSFYL was that Milan dropped the floor-length gown because it was limiting her range of movement. Couldn't exactly Swiffer the runway with her taint with all those gold sequins in the way!

noextrai

noextrai

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 22, 2012 @ 6:13 PM

Jiggly struggled the whole time and thought she was going to lip-sync as she stated Unita Squeeze. I don't think i was the worst and Max Mutchnik told me he had "no notes" and i was "spot on perfect". he echoed these sentiments for Chad too except for his pronunciation of one 1 syllable word. Chad was GREAT. I was thrilled with my team. WILLAM

ScrubMonkey

ScrubMonkey

Fanatic

Posted Feb 22, 2012 @ 6:26 PM

I don't think i was the worst

No, Kenya was the worst, in my opinion. She was Plan 9 from Outer Space bad.

To be honest, I thought DiDa should've won the sitcom challenge, based on what we saw. She was possessed by the spirit of Bea Arthur. But she still needs training. I wasn't as in love with her as Max seemed to be. And I think she's better out of drag. If she's going to work mainstream in drag, she should fix that underbite. She's good looking enough as a guy, though.

Edited by ScrubMonkey, Feb 22, 2012 @ 6:27 PM.

channelczar

channelczar

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 22, 2012 @ 7:32 PM

I think I've watched the previews about a million times and have finally paused it in the right places to figure out who everyone is doing, so here we go (spoiler tagged, just in case):

Sharon Needles- Michelle Visage
Chad Michaels- Cher
Phi Phi- Lady Gaga
Jiggly- Snooki
Dida Ritz- Wendy Williams
Kenya Michaels- Beyonce
Latrice Royale- Aretha Franklin
Willam- Jessica Simpson
Milan- Diana Ross

dirtybubble

dirtybubble

Fanatic

Posted Feb 22, 2012 @ 8:44 PM

Chad hasn't exactly been anonymous. She's doing just fine. I think she's made a mark and will continue to do so. I loved her woman in gold look the other week and her Florence Welch look this week was gorgeous, too.

I was worried when this season first started that the only thing we would see from Chad is Cher but wow he has shut me up! If he wins this season he would be one of the most versitale & talented winners this show has ever had. (No offense Raja but you're kinda one maybe two note)

I like Latrice as a person, but her drag is scaring me

Me too. I was afraid to say it - I don't want to sound mean. But, when she lifts her head up, has that yellow tinge and that big booming voice comes out, with a laugh and those crooked round teeth, I'm not sure if she's a cartoon hippo from Fantasia, or Oogie Boogie. But, I'm scared

LOL! I get what you're saying. Honestly I never noticed the weird yellow tint makeup until Untucked this week but yeah its a little jarring. I don't notice it on the runway though, maybe it's bad lighting or something. For me its his warm personality, wisdom, talent, and fierce clothes--his ability to dress a plus size body perfectly--that sells it for me.

kieyra

kieyra

Fanatic

Posted Feb 22, 2012 @ 9:09 PM

I've decided I want to see Willam with more visible eyebrows, and Phi Phi without the jumbo Sharpie marker eyeliner.

AtlanticVamp

AtlanticVamp

Fanatic

Posted Feb 23, 2012 @ 12:13 AM

Kenya Michaels- Beyonce

Between the above and Milan's tacky busted Diana Ross (I'm guessing it's Milan's commentary on Diana's arrest in AZ a few years back), I think we have our LSFYL partners for the next eppy.

All I know is that from the 1st episode's montage of LSFYLs, Phi2's will be in an angel costume, and that she'll get into it with Willam on Untucked in the same outfit. I hope this is coming soon.

AgingGoth

AgingGoth

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 23, 2012 @ 7:25 AM

Milan's swiffering taint move (thank you, Willam) reminded me of a dog scooting its butt across the carpet. No, ma'am.

it reminded me of a line from the Puss B Boots movie where he says "How DARE you do the LITTERBOX at me!!!

dirtybubble

dirtybubble

Fanatic

Posted Feb 23, 2012 @ 11:31 AM

Well speaking of piecing together the Untucked episodes can someone tell me who Latrice is talking to during the previews when he says "take of your hat b!tch, you balding b!tch."? For awhile I thought it was Princess but obviously that can't be it; I can't really tell because whomever he is talking to has his head tilted down and all I see is a white girl with amazing cheekbones. Maybe Willam? Sharon?

Oh and just wanted to say how much I love the new Absolute Vodka commercials with the season 3 queens. Yara is amazing, Shangela is meh, Alexis is same old cha-cha Alexis, Manila looks FAB-U-LOUS(!), Raja looks great as well. Seeing Manila in this commercial really makes me think I under estimated him last season.

HannahMiaRazor

HannahMiaRazor

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 23, 2012 @ 11:35 AM

Willam had me at "diabetes", but my love for him quadrupled after the Swiffer line. Funniest one-liner of all time if you ask me. Thank you for whoever mentioned Ticked off Trannies with Knives, it's now simmering in my Netflix queue.

I had high hopes for Madame LaQueer after her "Meet the Queens" segment, but she hadn't been nearly as funny as I'd been expecting, so I'm not sad to see her go. I agree with all the sentiments expressed about the stripping and wig throwing in this week's LSFYL, keep your wigs on girls, the whole move is just tired.

I thought the mini-challenge was absolutely hilarious, I thought Willam's idea to do the blue paint and the cash was very clever so I can understand why they won. Chad's photo was the standout for me though, I thought it was absolutely perfect and I was stunned by how much the styling changed his look. Chad wasn't standing out for me much at first, but he's really grown on me and I think he's such a talented queen. I can't wait to see him the Snatch Game.

By the way are they really doing the Snatch Game next week? I don't get to see the previews for next week's episode because I'm watching them on Amazon, but I thought they usually waited until they were down to 8 queens before doing the Snatch Game?

I was so happy to see that Latrice won because she really was hilarious as the prison guard. Latrice, also seems like a really warm and genuine person, just loving her in general.

PhiPhi can't get off my screen fast enough. I'm happy to see that her and Sharon appear to have worked through their differences at some point, but she's just so bitchy without any cause. I could see her overblown attitude if she'd won any challenge, or even come close to winning one, but girl's been excelling at nothing but being mediocre. I'm still fully on the Sharon love train in spite of the whole confrontation with PhiPhi and with that bitchy guy from W&G. I would love to see Sharon, Chad, Latrice and Willam as the top four.

I don't get the love that some of the judges have for Kenya, yeah she's cute and fishy, but she comes across to me as so vacant and one-note. The only time she stood out for me was during the wrestling challenge but she was basically just topping off her usual schtick with a bit of crazy. Maybe it's just me because I gravitate more towards the queens who go more for cleverness or unexpectedness over pretty or glamour. Sure Kenya is pretty, but I'm never excited to see what she's going to do on the runway or in any of the challenges. I will say though that she's somewhat memorable because I cannot get, "I... kind of like... dah smell..." out of my head.

A part of me really wants to start a band now called Dressed in Beaver.

cpcathy

cpcathy

Fanatic

Posted Feb 23, 2012 @ 11:50 AM

Manila looks FAB-U-LOUS(!), Raja looks great as well. Seeing Manila in this commercial really makes me think I under estimated him last season.

While I disliked the "booger" thing, I'm now convinced Manila was the most fabulous of all season three queens. The pics she posts on Facebook are to die for--she's prettier than any actual woman I know!

bluelantern

bluelantern

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 23, 2012 @ 12:23 PM

Well speaking of piecing together the Untucked episodes can someone tell me who Latrice is talking to during the previews when he says "take of your hat b!tch, you balding b!tch."? For awhile I thought it was Princess but obviously that can't be it; I can't really tell because whomever he is talking to has his head tilted down and all I see is a white girl with amazing cheekbones. Maybe Willam? Sharon?

It looks like Willam to me, and between that and the Phi Phi reaming, he must do something to really piss off the other queens in the next few weeks. I've been really impressed by how Willam handles himself in the Interior Illusions Lounge -- he simply will not engage in the drama. But man, Phi Phi and Latrice are coming AT him in those clips. I love Latrice, but she's very scary in that moment.

jlevinsohn

jlevinsohn

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 23, 2012 @ 12:24 PM

Kenya's failure to be in the bottom three has to do with her "fishiness", and Billy B. and Santino's enthusiasm for it. Billy B. and Santino respectively design real life makeup and real life fashion - admittedly, of the wild variety, but for women whose femininity is more than a club performance. They respond inordinately well to queens whose look approximates a (slightly campier) real life glamor (Raja, Tyra, etc.) Combined with Ru's love of supermodel-type queens, good-looking but personality-free queens tend to advance. I'm hoping a series of performance challenges eliminates her. It might outweigh Santino and Billy B's placing of the visual before all other criteria in judging a queen.
As for Phi Phi and Sharon's fight, it felt contrived by Phi Phi (and possibly Sharon as well) to garner screen time. Phi Phi went from "zero to hero" with her anger too fast for it to be (totally) real. That said, I think that she probably does feel threatened by Sharon and Willam. Chad and Latrice are way above her age, and offer a more mature kind of drag, so she probably doesn't feel they're her direct competition in the judges' eyes at this point. Phi Phi always has a put-together and somewhat intriguing look, but there's always too much makeup and the concept is never that memorable. She pulls most of her cards from a deck composed of Britney Spears, Christina Aguilera, and Lady Gaga, shuffles them into various combinations and adds some pageant drag features (big hair, weird eyeliner), and ends up with a series of slightly edgier pop princess looks that don't show real creativity. Also, all she's shown that she can offer is the look. Her performances are middling to weak, and she invariably sounds and acts like herself as a guy. Sharon definitely has some attitude issues, with her ego nourished by winning a succession of challenges...but is leagues above Phi Phi in terms of creativity and talent. She certainly has more than one look, although they're all unified by being quite jarring. It's a more valid criticism that her personality is generally pretty similar in performance - she always does something between Elvira's "Valley Girl" and a Peggy Bundy/Suzanne Somers air-headed sitcom character. That's not necessarily a weakness, though, as much as a consistent persona. Out of the present queens, only Chad has really shown the ability to adapt to a wide variety of personas.

Bourgeois Nerd

Bourgeois Nerd

Stalker

Posted Feb 23, 2012 @ 12:47 PM

While I disliked the "booger" thing, I'm now convinced Manila was the most fabulous of all season three queens. The pics she posts on Facebook are to die for--she's prettier than any actual woman I know!

Manila is just incredibly gorgeous. I think Karl's pretty damn cute himself, too. Who knew Filipino and Midwestern Scandinavian was such a genetic goldmine! That Sahara is one lucky-ass bitch!

It's a more valid criticism that her personality is generally pretty similar in performance - she always does something between Elvira's "Valley Girl" and a Peggy Bundy/Suzanne Somers air-headed sitcom character. That's not necessarily a weakness, though, as much as a consistent persona. Out of the present queens, only Chad has really shown the ability to adapt to a wide variety of personas.

A TOO-consistent persona can be a liability, though, on this show. Queens whose characters are really well-established have suffered when they couldn't bend as much as Ru wanted.

funkgasm

funkgasm

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 23, 2012 @ 1:27 PM

It SHOWS Willam with a hat on after Latrice says that, but Willam has said (on Twitter maybe? or Tumblr) that Latrice doesn't say that to him - it's edited to look that way for the supertrailer. I am DYING to know, though!

Bungalow Joy

Bungalow Joy

Stalker

Posted Feb 23, 2012 @ 1:31 PM

Maybe it doesn't matter, but was Chad really channeling Florence Welch or was that just incidental?

Omnomnomicon

Omnomnomicon

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 23, 2012 @ 2:50 PM

I thought he said "Renaissance" was the inspiration in the VO, one of the judges made the Florence joke though.

(It's weird how we have these queens with male stage names now and it's hard to do the pronoun thing right.)

The Void

The Void

Fanatic

Posted Feb 23, 2012 @ 3:22 PM

Willam has a Tumblr and reveals some secrets about the show. Someone made a GIF of the moment and she responded saying that Latrice was talking to Jiggly Caliente and that Jiggly is the only girl of the cast that's currently balding, I think..

Montavilla

Montavilla

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 23, 2012 @ 4:36 PM

I can't hate on anyone this season. I never can.* Even when Jiggly gets annoying or Phi-Phi is hostile, all I see are the little boys getting beat down and crying out for love.

J'adore Latrice and Chad, though. Their maturity and experience make them worthy to carry the crown this year.

So far, I think Sharon is showing the most star power, but after the Snatch Game, we're likely to be thrown a presentation challenge and that might be a weak point for her. Not that her presentation isn't amazing, but can she survive multiple sewing challenges? BTW, it bothers me not a single bit that the Snatch Game gets done exactly the same every year. It's the perfect challenge to test a queen's ability to impersonate.

There was something I noticed Willam do that impressed me in the Untucked. At one point, he said to Sharon and Phi-Phi, "You two are talking at each other. Talk to each other." Very good conflict resolution skills, Willam!

Sorry to see Madame LaQueer go. I don't know why, if she wanted to portray an upper-class snob, she didn't use a Castillian accent. I wouldn't necessarily get the difference if she spoke Spanish, but my mother can definitely hear the difference, and I can hear the difference in English. Also, I wonder if Madame casting Kenya as the butch guard wasn't a bit of "strategy" on her part. After all, she and Kenya weren't on the best of terms after the previous episode -- and what better way to send Kenya home than to cast her in a part she couldn't play?

I like Milan and thought she might be a dark horse, but it's time to step up and now I have my doubts whether Milan can do that. Maybe if she makes it through to the look challenges. Dida, meanwhile, is getting better with each challenge and that's exciting to watch. Go, Dida!

*With the exception of Shangela. And even then, I loved to hate her. :)

Bungalow Joy

Bungalow Joy

Stalker

Posted Feb 23, 2012 @ 4:47 PM

Also, I wonder if Madame casting Kenya as the butch guard wasn't a bit of "strategy" on her part.

Oh, I think Madame's initial instinct for comedy was good. It is funny to think of a tiny soldier acting all butch and Napoleonic. Knowing Kenya, though, Madame shouldn't have risked it. Besides not having the acting bone, Kenya it seems cannot butch up for the life of him. What's his male voice? Can anyone recall? How would he say, "Eeeet reminds me...of the high schoooool...GYM!" <clap!>

Worleybird

Worleybird

Posted Feb 23, 2012 @ 6:42 PM

Here's an interview with Michelle Visage. A little bit of bio, a little bit of behind the scenes, but nothing too spoilery:

Q & A with Michelle Visage

Hester Mofet

Hester Mofet

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 23, 2012 @ 7:31 PM

Willam has a Tumblr and reveals some secrets about the show. Someone made a GIF of the moment and she responded saying that Latrice was talking to Jiggly Caliente and that Jiggly is the only girl of the cast that's currently balding, I think..

It's absolutely Jiggly. I've only seen one short, short scene where she wasn't wearing a hat/wig, during the mugshot challenge when Latrice(?) is doing her makeup and you can see her hairline is majorly receding.

As for the questions about Latrice's yellow makeup, lots of women with very skin use foundations with warmer tones, because makeup with pink or beige tones can look ashy against dark skin. I'm assuming the effect is less jarring off camera, and depending on what kind of lighting they're using to film it may be magnifying the yellow. I don't notice it as much on the runway where the lighting is softer.