RuPaul's Drag Race

• Please log in to reply

14217 replies to this topic

Dolphincorn

Dolphincorn

Fanatic

Posted May 15, 2008 @ 10:18 PM

RuPaul's Drag Race is coming!

Edited by TWoP Howard, May 4, 2012 @ 3:47 PM.

Kaboom

Kaboom

Stalker

Posted May 16, 2008 @ 6:11 AM

I loves me some RuPaul so I will definitely be watching. Thank you for starting this thread, Dolphincorn. :0)

Dolphincorn

Dolphincorn

Fanatic

Posted May 17, 2008 @ 12:01 AM

I keep looking for Miss New York's profile, but I can't find it.

Pinwiz

Pinwiz

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 4, 2008 @ 3:42 PM

The show is premiering on Feb 2, and I just found out that I know someone in the cast! I remember when they were casting and I saw his ad on the website, I knew he'd be a perfect fit.

And now there's another show to watch this Spring. Go Jade!

Edited by Pinwiz, Dec 4, 2008 @ 3:43 PM.

funkgasm

funkgasm

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 4, 2008 @ 9:28 PM

BWAH! That's hilarious!

Go Jade!

For a second there I thought you were talking about Jade from ANTM fame... I got really excited.

This show looks like it has potential! I hope it's as entertaining as I imagine it to be.

PorkFat

PorkFat

Fanatic

Posted Dec 5, 2008 @ 12:10 AM

Damn it all! I love RuPaul, but I don't have LOGO! Does LOGO usually put their shows online?

Pinwiz

Pinwiz

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 2, 2009 @ 3:31 PM

Bump in anticipation of tonight's premiere.

Aimee Myers

Aimee Myers

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 2, 2009 @ 5:45 PM

You can watch the first episode here

I'm super excited for this. I have loved RuPaul for a long time.

Le Furonda

Le Furonda

Fanatic

Posted Feb 2, 2009 @ 10:30 PM

Where's Dominique from ANTM?

rustyspigot

rustyspigot

Fanatic

Posted Feb 2, 2009 @ 11:05 PM

I like the Barbara Walters soft lighting that follows RuPaul around.

It is like Top Model, when in doubt keep the bitch.

eyechart

eyechart

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 2, 2009 @ 11:48 PM

Those boys were awfully cute sans makeup, especially Brian/Shannel. And Akashia's juz jellus she don't have a booty as nice as Shannel's.

No wonder Tammie got the most viewer votes to go...that fivehead, the bad Bette Davis wig, and the pencil-drawn eyebrows. Looked freaky instead of freak-ay. I guess that old Hollywood look appeals to her, but she should've studied Lypsinka to get it down.

Sorry to see Victoria go, but she wasn't lip synching much at all from what the clips showed. And her dress looked like Santino made it!

$20K first prize?! Maybe the Pride tour will be a bigger boost to the winner's career. Nina won the first challenge, and I wouldn't be surprised to see her win it. I'd like to see her and Shannel in the final two. Work the runway, sweetie!

What airline did they fly on? Okay, the product placement wasn't as bad as Top Chef or American Idol. Already this show is 500 times better than Stylista, though not quite Scream Queens yet.

Sashay away!

Pinwiz

Pinwiz

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 3, 2009 @ 12:23 AM

I'm all for the product placement because this is Logo so we want the show to have money.

Full disclosure: I'm totally in the bag for Jade because I've know her for years and want her to do well. (I'm trying not to obsess about how long she's going to be on, but I did count how many different outfits I saw on the runway in the opening.)

Nina won the first challenge, and I wouldn't be surprised to see her win it. I'd like to see her and Shannel in the final two. Work the runway, sweetie!

I think those two have the most obvious talent, although we haven't seen much of Bebe yet. It'll be interesting to see how this shakes out.

And I love the Lipsync Elimination Duel idea.

ghetto hood rat

ghetto hood rat

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 3, 2009 @ 1:38 AM

You know she would win the show too.

Puds38

Puds38

Stalker

Posted Feb 3, 2009 @ 2:50 AM

Tammie Brown is one scary looking sistah. She needs to rethink that entire persona. It's not cute enough to be hot like Ru or Jade and not camp enough to work the other way. She just looks like somebody's spinster aunt with too many cats in her house.

JustSayNo

JustSayNo

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 3, 2009 @ 8:04 AM

It's a little Project Runway, a little Top Model, and a whole lot of fun. The editing didn't even seem that heavy handed over who was going home. I started to suspect Victoria because of the talking head interviews towards the end, but they split those up more like a candid show than a competitive one.

I immediately thought Bette Davis when I saw Tammie, but more Baby Jane and less Jezebel. That's not a good thing, since she didn't go to either extreme. I will say the challenge outfit worked very well in selling her aesthetic to the judges.

I rather like Ongina's look, though I doubt she'll last long. The bio makes a big deal out of her using no padding or wigs, and that seems to be what the judges were pushing for.

Santino as a permanent panel member? That means this show gets a season pass.

Nena

Nena

Fanatic

Posted Feb 3, 2009 @ 9:05 AM

After all the stuff on the wow blog leading up to this, I'm glad it's finally here. RuPaul and Santino - that alone is enough for me to watch, but I love this. I have to admit, by the time they were half way though the photoshoot, I couldn't help thinking of that press conference when Ru told off the reporter for daring to compare the show to Tyra - the comparison is obvious. The make your own outfit, though, Chris March all the way ;) I wonder if I dare hope he shows up before it's over.

AtlanticVamp

AtlanticVamp

Fanatic

Posted Feb 3, 2009 @ 10:10 AM

No wonder Tammie got the most viewer votes to go...that fivehead, the bad Bette Davis wig, and the pencil-drawn eyebrows. Looked freaky instead of freak-ay. I guess that old Hollywood look appeals to her, but she should've studied Lypsinka to get it down.

Tammie Brown is one scary looking sistah. She needs to rethink that entire persona. It's not cute enough to be hot like Ru or Jade and not camp enough to work the other way. She just looks like somebody's spinster aunt with too many cats in her house.

I immediately thought Bette Davis when I saw Tammie, but more Baby Jane and less Jezebel. That's not a good thing, since she didn't go to either extreme. I will say the challenge outfit worked very well in selling her aesthetic to the judges.

ITA. Tammie ("with an I-E!") stood out to me for all the wrong reasons. It was just creepy to see her come on the show in the 70's Sunday dress and eyebrows. Worse, she actually hopped into the 'car wash' shoot in the same ensemble. Spinster aunt, Puds38? Definitely.

I was rooting for Victoria/"Pork Chop" to at least make it through, but between the introduction of her competitors (I kept sayin', "Real girl....real girl....", mostly for Shannel and Jade----when they all walked in at the beginning) and the awful dress she made, I knew Pork Chop was a goner. Miss her already.

Word to all the ANTM parallels. Maybe that's why RuPaul's wigs are off her fivehead? The sincere "Now, sashay...away"? I hope they're paying Tyra some residuals!

All in all, a honey-sweet guilty pleasure!

ETA:

The make your own outfit, though, Chris March all the way ;) I wonder if I dare hope he shows up before it's over.

Oh, honey, if he shows up in his Brunhilde Viking outfit with the colanders on the tits, it's on!

Edited by AtlanticVamp, Feb 3, 2009 @ 10:13 AM.

Dolphincorn

Dolphincorn

Fanatic

Posted Feb 3, 2009 @ 11:54 AM

She just looks like somebody's spinster aunt with too many cats in her house.

And what's wrong with that?

If I liked my models to be pretty, I wouldn't be watching them on ANTM, would I? Tammie is hilarious and I love her.

whatevausay

whatevausay

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 3, 2009 @ 12:15 PM

I agree - I like my drag queens cooky/crazy/nutty/insane as opposed to sexy/realistic/serious/DIVA

mightymos

mightymos

Fanatic

Posted Feb 3, 2009 @ 1:02 PM

I was worried about RuPaul. I noticed that they rarely showed her in drag while sitting at the panel. Then when they did, it was this weird, Barbra Walters vanity filter. Other times, when she spoke, it was always wide angle and she didn't really look great from where I could see.
Is she okay? or just getting older and needs all the lights and make up and filters?

That said, I LOVE this show. My favorite is BeBe. It's rare to see out West Africans (or any Africans) so I gotta represent for my peeps!

kidcore

kidcore

Fanatic

Posted Feb 3, 2009 @ 1:58 PM

OMG this is camp overload and I am loving every second of it! RuPaul is definitely serving it up! The soft focus lighting was definitely a bit much. It was like they had a perpetual smear of vaseline on the camera lens. That still didn't help those close-ups of Akashia with the razor bumps and man jaw. That said she did the damn thing in the lipsync for your life segment. I almost just felt bad for Victoria with her little twirls. I know she said she's done this for 21 years but get with the times girl!

My fave right now is Ongina. Because um hello....Ongina?!?! This is like ANTM-meets-Project Runway on steroids (with more sparkles...and cutlets). It's so much like my dreams it's scary. Shanel and Jade are gawwgeous. I'm not feeling freaky Bette Davis on coke queen. I get that drag is more than over-the-top glamor and exaggerated femininity, it can be wacky experimental performance art or whatever. But she's not even doing that well. It just comes off creepy and weird.

My favorite is BeBe. It's rare to see out West Africans (or any Africans) so I gotta represent for my peeps!

Yeah, I was surprised at that too. My partner is Ghanaian (and forced to watch this with me) and I immediately turned to him when Bebe was introduced and was like "That's what's up!! Diasporic drag!!" Wonder if Bebe's family knows he/she's on the show? She's awesome too so I hope she goes far.

I was surprised at the prize. It's not bad at all. I mean really, what is the penultimate in the drag world? Getting your dance moves appropriated in a Madonna video? Having a one-hit-wonder dance hit? I think getting to be featured at PRIDE all over the country, being in an ad, and getting money is pretty decent. I *really* hope they bring out some drag superstars to lead challenges and stuff. I need James St. James and Kevin Aviance on here stat. Give me somebody from the House of Ninja at least!

Nena

Nena

Fanatic

Posted Feb 3, 2009 @ 3:53 PM

James St. James works for the production company, so I can't imagine him not showing up. He also did a video for the pre-show party. OH SO VERY NOT SAFE FOR WORK - World of Wonder There is sooo much stuff there about the show from over the last year it's insane.

Direct link to the entry w/ video, still so NSFW

Bungalow Joy

Bungalow Joy

Stalker

Posted Feb 3, 2009 @ 4:01 PM

I think...I think this is a perfect show. I don't even wanna say that, 'coz how can they maintain perfection? I mean, leave it to a drag queen to show Tyra, Heidi and Janice how it's really done, vaseline lenses and all. Will there always be a faux-Project Runway challenge? I don't see that it's possible, but de-dragged RuPaul as Tim Gunn is hilarious. I especially loved what they deemed as Tammie's "sexy" wet shot. Chantez, or Sashay. Away.

Fuzubanu

Fuzubanu

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 3, 2009 @ 4:08 PM

Enjoyed that first episode. Was sorry to see Victor/Victoria go home, but Tammie wasn't up for elimination so I didn't want to see anybody else going.

Rebecca is very good looking out of drag. I enjoyed those scenes the most

jetty

jetty

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 3, 2009 @ 6:34 PM

I guess I'm one of the few who liked Tammie. That Baby-Jane-on-acid drag was awesome. Any drag queen can do glamorous diva model schtick, but it takes a serious performer who'll go in the wacky direction. She's not quite as good as Lypsinka, but I love drag queens who do something different.

But the one who won this challenge deserved it. She was awesome.

Bungalow Joy

Bungalow Joy

Stalker

Posted Feb 3, 2009 @ 6:44 PM

For a different flavor I like Tammie too. She seems destined for an early exit but it would be fair and more interesting if they'd throw in an early challenge that played to her strengths as a 40s-50s screen queen, with Charles Busch as a guest judge. Still, those pencil thin eyebrows high over his naturally bushy brows do look freaky. And the overall effect is more Lucille Ball than Bette Davis. Not a bad thing, but not as powerful a drag show without more oomph in that direction.

rustyspigot

rustyspigot

Fanatic

Posted Feb 3, 2009 @ 7:45 PM

For a different flavor I like Tammie too.

That's good way to put it. And her picture was clearly the most hilariously campy to me.

How about the judges? I was pretty fine with them, though I could have done without the comments while the "fashion show" was actually going on. Expressions of horror/joy would be fine.

popwow

popwow

Just Tuned In

Posted Feb 5, 2009 @ 2:31 AM

I am loving this show! My roommate told me about it because one of the performers is someone we see at our local drag show regularly. I am rooting for her (Bebe Zahara) or Shanel. I do kind of like Tammie Brown, she is different but I love the retro thing she's doing. The soft focus is killing me though!!

Edited by popwow, Feb 5, 2009 @ 12:20 PM.

Kaboom

Kaboom

Stalker

Posted Feb 5, 2009 @ 7:25 AM

I think...I think this is a perfect show. I don't even wanna say that, 'coz how can they maintain perfection? I mean, leave it to a drag queen to show Tyra, Heidi and Janice how it's really done, vaseline lenses and all. Will there always be a faux-Project Runway challenge? I don't see that it's possible, but de-dragged RuPaul as Tim Gunn is hilarious. I especially loved what they deemed as Tammie's "sexy" wet shot. Chantez, or Sashay. Away.

OMG I so agree with you. LOVE this show!

I don't really have a fave contestant yet, at this point I'm just basking in the sequins, make up, wigs and overall Rupaul of it all. lol

Ms Sugarbaker

Ms Sugarbaker

Fanatic

Posted Feb 5, 2009 @ 8:41 AM

I was pretty fine with them, though I could have done without the comments while the "fashion show" was actually going on.

The judges comments were weak, but I'm sorry, Ru's remarks were hysterical.

I must admit it was said to see the green-clad Victoria go, but I nearly fell off the couch when Akashia said she looked like a football field!