DWTS: All-Star Season

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

1198 replies to this topic

thetempest

thetempest

Couch Potato

Posted May 15, 2008 @ 5:37 PM

There is no news or confirmation of an all-star season happening or in the works as of right now, but the possibility is always there. (Joey L. says there's been talk of an all-star season in his May 13th Yahoo Buzz Session, but that's the most I've heard of an all-star season)

If an all-star season did happen, I hope DWTS follows the pattern of any normal season and not like it's SCD counterpart and make it a one dance special.

We were talking about this in the Kristi thread and someone mentioned a new rule that could come with an all-star season: all stars get a new pro. I agree with this suggestion because that would eliminate any problems with pros who have had several partners worthy of being in an all-star season and partnership fanbases wouldn't skew with the voting as much. It would make the season more about the star and his/her dancing and not about the best partnership.

Also the question of who should be invited for an all-star season. Winners and finalists should be considered as well as the obvious good ones who left too early like Monique and Sabrina, IMO.

scootman

scootman

Couch Potato

Posted May 15, 2008 @ 6:47 PM

Thanks for starting the thread, thetempest. I was the one who suggested a "new partner" rule, for the exact reason you said. For example, Monique Coleman and Lisa Rinna would both be possibilities, and it's unfair that one would get Louis and the other didn't. Plus it makes it more interesting to watch new partnerships form, and see who deals best with different teaching methods.

EmbraceTheDark

EmbraceTheDark

Couch Potato

Posted May 15, 2008 @ 8:34 PM

With such a lackluster season 6, I would absolutely love the hell out of an all-stars season (or even one "measly" Christmas special) but I don't know if I would fully like the stars being partnered with different pros. I'm selfish and will fanwank right now but a substantial part of why I enjoyed watching many of the celebs (like Apolo, Drew, and especially Mel) dance is seeing how well they work with their partner and the chemistry the two have together. The only big exceptions I'd make is maybe Stacy and Kristi because I don't think they had tons of chemistry with their respective partners, and maybe Monique because it wasn't always fun to watch her and Louis together.

But it is certainly possible that the stars could work well (or even better) with another pro, so that could be interesting indeed and Lord knows I would hate to see fanbase wars play out. *Shudder*

For the males, I'd especially like to see Apolo, Drew, Joey Fatone, Joey McIntyre, and maybe Mario L. if he could curb his douchiness. Because I'm shallow, enjoyed his one cha cha immensely, and thought he was robbed, I'd bring back Albert for the heck of it.

For the females, I'd especially like to see Mel, Stacy, Jennie, Kelly, Sabrina, Kristy, and Laila (so yeah the new partner thing might be nice in this instance).

On a sidenote, watching clips of Rachel Hunter and Evander Holyfield appear on SCD special, a tiny part of me would be curious to see how a few SCD contestants would fare with the pros here - seeing Jonathan paired with someone as wonderful as Alesha Dixon or Jill Halfpenny with Louis could be awesome. It will probably never happen, but a girl can dream.

Edited by EmbraceTheDark, May 15, 2008 @ 8:38 PM.

LadyStorm22

LadyStorm22

Channel Surfer

Posted May 16, 2008 @ 4:44 PM

I'm not completly dissing the new partner thing, but for me...its always been the partnerships that've made the show special. Sure...I could sit and watch Mel B. and Derek form a new bond over the course of a several episodes, however...why not come into the show KNOWING I'll be in tune for more Mel & Maks who already have an amazing relationship? Having the originals partners would also give (hopefully) something this show has been lacking...good dancing. Usually in the beginning we're forced to watch akward pairs doing the rumba but with everyone coming back in a "reunion" style, we'll get to straight to good dancing (due to familiarity) and classic antics that'll draw fans in old and new.

Also...I think it could put everyone on equal footing. Yeah, Jerry Rice will always have more fans than Sabrina Bryan, but hopefully people would start doing the right thing and voting for the best dancers (cough ...her elimination...cough). But yeah, I'd love an All-Star version. Lets see...in a perfect world:

Drew and Cheryl (hot...hot...HOT!)
Mel B. and Maks (just give me the Mel and Maks show every week...forget the dancing)
Apolo and Julianne (Recreate the magic!)
Mario 1.0 and Karina (Truly were ROBBED!!...were phenomenal out the gate)
Joey Lawrence and Edyta (Cool couple)
Sabrina and Mark (REVENGE...GET SWEET REVENGE!!!)
Lisa (or Monique) and Louis (I know Lisa loves this show and all that, but I love Mo too!)
Joey Fatone and Kym (they were tons of fun)
Jennie and Derek (never payed her any attention, but I cannot stand shannon!)
Stacy and Tony (those legs...those legs)
Jerry Rice and Anna (got to have a NFL guy...and he's the best one PERIOD)
Kelly and Alec (for nostalgia and so she can show ME she can dance...'cause that freestyle was a NO NO)

Unfortunatley with this process people like Kristi, Mario 2.0, Monique, etc wont be able to join. But the way I see it...we just saw Kristi, Mario 2.0, Jason, etc dancing so....plus they'd be at a disadvantage (maybe) because they haven't had longer relationships OR a big advantage because they danced most recently with their partners. With people like Monique, Willa, Laila...I like them and could fill in as subs or something. I dunno...just throwing ideas out. Oh...it has to happen during the summer time so we can have EXHIBITION dances by the fabulous and fantastic Brittany and Brandon (can't clash with school time for the lil ones)...let those two correspond on the streets ...bump that...DISNEY....u own ABC...put them in High School Musical 4...NOW!!!
....ooops ...a lil off topic there. What couples would you guys like to see if the show returned in that format?

Edited by LadyStorm22, May 16, 2008 @ 4:51 PM.

itsjfitz

itsjfitz

Couch Potato

Posted May 18, 2008 @ 4:37 PM

Love this list!! Wouldn't change a thing, except maybe Monique with Louis. But Lisa/Louis would be fun to watch, so either one would work for me.

thetempest

thetempest

Couch Potato

Posted May 21, 2008 @ 2:59 PM

I'm not completly dissing the new partner thing, but for me...its always been the partnerships that've made the show special. Sure...I could sit and watch Mel B. and Derek form a new bond over the course of a several episodes, however...why not come into the show KNOWING I'll be in tune for more Mel & Maks who already have an amazing relationship?

Which is exactly why an all star season should impose a new partner rule to have everyone start on equal footing. Obviously, stars will have varying amount of fans and that can't be helped, but the show can somewhat control the pre-season fanbases of the star/pro partnership by having new partners for everyone. If they bring back the old, favorite pairings, we're going to get a voting war between fanbases and it loses focus on actual dancing.

Tomatonose

Tomatonose

Couch Potato

Posted May 21, 2008 @ 6:39 PM

I'd love the idea of an All-Star DWTS! Keep the original pairings because the chemistry contributed so much, and new partners would inevitably cause endless comparisons. Given that, here's my list, following same format of 6 men and 6 women, and at least one from each season.

Season 1: Joey/Ashly
Season 2: Stacy/Tony; Drew/Cheryl
Season 3: Mario v1.0/Karina; Monique/Louis
Season 4: Joey/Kym; Apolo/Julianne
Season 5: Jennie/Derek; Mel/Maks; Sabrina/Mark
Season 6: Going to contradict myself and say Mario v2.0 and a new partner as Karina's already taken--Anna maybe? Also would like to see Kristi and a new partner because Sabrina/Mark was a better pairing, and I'd like to see Jonathan get a break from the special-needs contestants.

OMG, that would be one HELL of a competition!

So much uncertainty! Will there be previous-winner backlash? Will there still be ringer backlash, and if so, would it favor someone like Jennie, or would it simply be endless arguments about who is ringer-est? How do fans split their votes when all their favorites are competing? (Hmm, maybe based purely on the dancing for once?) Has the previous Mario v1.0 and Stacy hate gone away? Will the judges' favorites before still be their favorites? Will the previous winners care less because they've already won or care more because they have nowhere to go but down?

Looking at that list, there are no clear favorites going in. I can honestly see watching each elimination night with no idea who will go.

Because I'm shallow, enjoyed his one cha cha immensely, and thought he was robbed, I'd bring back Albert for the heck of it.

I'd love to see Albert get another chance too! Unfortunately, he would go out first again because he lacks a fanbase. His cha-cha is the most genuinely fun dance of all seasons IMO. Not the Helio "Look how much fun I'm having" or the Adam "Look how funny I am" schtick, but real genuine laugh-and-cheer entertainment.

purrple

purrple

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 21, 2008 @ 8:33 PM

Another possiblity for an all-star season, though I doubt people would go for it, is to pair up the stars with each other. They could be assigned a pro to coach and choreograph them. But people like to see the pros dance and the match ups might not work.

harvestbasket

harvestbasket

Stalker

Posted May 21, 2008 @ 8:38 PM

I love the idea. Most all-star versions of reality shows are duds though so I worry about it. I also wonder how much availability will play into the casting. Will we get the best or just those who were available? Of course if we can get that scenario by LadyStorm or tomatonose, I am all for it.

Edited by harvestbasket, May 22, 2008 @ 10:15 AM.

thetempest

thetempest

Couch Potato

Posted May 22, 2008 @ 10:10 AM

Yahoo Buzz Sesson May 21

Again, it's the only media byte I found that mentions an all star season and it even talks about a new partner rule.

Will the judges' favorites before still be their favorites?

I would think all the stars they bring back are fan favorites and/or technically the best dancers so the judges should for once not play favorites and give honest critiques and scores beause in the end any of the stars could be legitimate winners.

I also wonder how much availability will play into the casting. Will we get the best or just those who were available?

I worry about this too. If they wait too long for an all star season, some of these stars might be a little too old, or not as agile as they used to be. Although others like Apolo and Sabrina would only get better than when they first appeared.

Edited by thetempest, May 22, 2008 @ 1:30 PM.

harvestbasket

harvestbasket

Stalker

Posted May 22, 2008 @ 10:17 AM

Retired athletes like Emmitt and Jerry would be available but others like Joey, Mel and Jennie as well as Sabrina have projects coming up. Then Apolo has the Olympics. I want it if it is done well. I do not want some second rate All-Star season like TAR where the best racers did not even compete.

rulesoftravel

rulesoftravel

Stalker

Posted May 22, 2008 @ 1:21 PM

I also think , as much as I hate to admit this, that since Jennie has not (I sure didn't see her) shown up at any of the DWTS shows, including the finals /semi-finals, she may have moved on from the show and might never want to dance in front of a zillion people again.

harvestbasket

harvestbasket

Stalker

Posted May 22, 2008 @ 1:49 PM

FWIW, Jennie had a lot going on in her personal life so I understand why she was not in the audience. I will be bummed if there is no Jennie in the all-star edition.

rulesoftravel

rulesoftravel

Stalker

Posted May 22, 2008 @ 2:06 PM

She did indeed, but it's one night to come out. Kelly M (the first K woman winner) was there several times. And she's memorizing miles of dialogue daily.

Oh I definitely would want Jennie there-but I don't think she would do it.

My insane thought for a pairing from hell: the celeb I don't like w/ the pro I love: Joey Lawrence and Cheryl Burke. She'd probably win it for him and then he could see how awesome she is and stop trash-talking her.

harvestbasket

harvestbasket

Stalker

Posted May 22, 2008 @ 3:33 PM

I doubt Jennie would come because Derek said they hung and kept talking but never about dancing. I meant Jennie and her father's death and what not. I will be bummed if Jennie is not there but I do not expect to see her either.

Joey and Cheryl would be hilarious. I would vote for her to win just so she could stop that trash-talking or use that trophy as a weapon :p

If Jennie cannot do it, I would not mind seeing Derek with Mel. I loved M & M too, but I would love to see Derek's choreography on a celeb who can really sell it. I pictured Mel dancing to Jennie's samba and thought that would have been a stellar routine. YMMV.

loveisthedrug

loveisthedrug

Fanatic

Posted May 22, 2008 @ 4:51 PM

What I'd like to see is how the fanbases would respond to a switch up of Drew/Julianne and Apolo/Cheryl. It would be interesting to see how the chemistry between the new couples would work out.

Edited by loveisthedrug, May 22, 2008 @ 4:53 PM.

kiddo82

kiddo82

Fanatic

Posted May 22, 2008 @ 8:25 PM

I agree that the best way to make it interesting would be to switch up the couples. I know that for a lot of people, the pairings add so much to each individual season/winner, but let's see how these celebs adjust to a different teacher/style/partnership. Plus, an all-star season with too many returning favorite couples would just turn into a fan base war, which I think would be very unpleasant and unsatisfying as a viewer.

Blackie 35

Blackie 35

Couch Potato

Posted May 22, 2008 @ 10:56 PM

Is an all star season a definite? Am I the only one who thinks it is a horrible idea? As much as I love/miss/wish certain contestants had gotten farther, I think other reality shows all star seasons have proven that bringing people back is not a good idea. I would hate to see DWTS go that route.

rulesoftravel

rulesoftravel

Stalker

Posted May 23, 2008 @ 7:01 AM

I hope it's just in the talking stages and not a done deal. In my mind , it brings back the horrible do-over of season one...when Kelly M who won the title had to dance for it again. And because John O H's fans were mobilized like a small army and Kelly's fans weren't (because she had already won it, you know) J O'H got the tacky trophy. Thank heaven the show no longer recognizes that win.

I have mixed emotions about all star anything. But...I'd watch. I'm weak that way. Sigh.

Edited to add:what if the only celebs available were Marie Osmond, Jane Seymour and Master P? And the dance off at the finals was "The Dreaded Doll Dance." Are we sure we want this?

Edited by rulesoftravel, May 23, 2008 @ 9:32 AM.

legaleagle44

legaleagle44

Stalker

• Interests:Foreign language and culture study, cooking, dancing, music, reading, and television, of course!

Posted May 23, 2008 @ 8:52 PM

I hope it's just in the talking stages and not a done deal. In my mind , it brings back the horrible do-over of season one...when Kelly M who won the title had to dance for it again. And because John O H's fans were mobilized like a small army and Kelly's fans weren't (because she had already won it, you know) J O'H got the tacky trophy. Thank heaven the show no longer recognizes that win.

The concept of an All-Stars season is nothing like the concept behind the Season 1 Dance-Off--and the reason that John O'Hurley isn't recognized as a DWTS champion is that the Dance-Off was a one-shot "special edition," if you will, like the DWTS Christmas specials in the UK and the Netherlands. They're not considered part of the regular season. Thus, Kelly Monaco, not John, has always been regarded as the winner of Season 1 because she was the winner of that season's regular competition. The Dance-Off, contrary to popular belief, didn't change that result and was never intended to do so. It was simply an additional title that Kelly would have won if she had won the Dance-Off, not a re-confirmation of her Season 1 win.

Similarly, an All-Star season wouldn't really mean that someone "who won the title [before] had to dance for it again," since the original title still exists and is owned by that season's title-holder. What he or she would be competing for in an All-Star season would be an additional title, not a confirmation of the previous one.

rulesoftravel

rulesoftravel

Stalker

Posted May 23, 2008 @ 11:25 PM

Ok...that makes sense. I still don't love the idea.

BTW, someone should probably tell John O' Hurley this, because in an interview he did a couple months ago-he referred to himself as the winner of DWTS...or maybe the reporter misunderstood.

Edited by rulesoftravel, May 23, 2008 @ 11:27 PM.

TWoP Pembleton

TWoP Pembleton

Stalker

• Interests:Also known as Kim, one of your friendly recappers

Posted Jan 16, 2012 @ 8:52 PM

Bumping because this came up in the media thread.

MDKNIGHT

MDKNIGHT

Fanatic

Posted Jan 19, 2012 @ 7:14 PM

I'd want Gille Marini to have another stab at it if it were possible. There have been some seasons where he not only would have won, but won by a wide margin. I picture Gille vs Helio for instance and am insensed.

ETA of the pairings suggested on the media thread I would be most excited to see Gille and Cheryl battle it out with Karina and Mario Lopez. It would be both a masterpiece and a blood bath. Add in Maks and Mel B and we'd have the most back to back awesome dancing in DWTS history.

Edited by MDKNIGHT, Jan 19, 2012 @ 7:23 PM.

popcorn

popcorn

Fanatic

Posted Jan 19, 2012 @ 10:22 PM

All star seasons are tricky because you always wind up with some people who weren't impressive the first time around and who you never wanted to see again. They're likely to throw in a Cloris/Corky, Bristol/Mark or Nancy/Tristan type pair who made most people cringe but kept getting the votes.

spanana

spanana

Stalker

Posted Jan 20, 2012 @ 11:53 AM

I'm kind of anti an all star season. I just feel like there would be a lot of fanbase nastiness since all of these couples are going to come in with their pre-existing fans going on about how they were robbed for whatever reason and how each couple was the bestest couple ever.

I also don't see Mario Lopez doing it again. I'd imagine he feels above DWTS now and his ego was bruised enough by not winning the first time. Plus throw in that he would be dancing with his ex and forget about it.

Sunnyheart

Sunnyheart

Fanatic

Posted Jan 20, 2012 @ 12:34 PM

I'm kind of anti an all star season.

I wasn't sure how I felt about an all star season, but I think I agree with you on this, spanana. I think the ship has sailed for most of these couples. It would be very disappointing too if your favorite couple was eliminated early on. Also, as popcorn pointed out, we would probably be forced to watch Corky and Cloris again or some other equally horrific couple. Now I would like to see a one-time only special that brought back several of the fan-favorite couples. No judging, just a dance they want to do. I think they would have better luck getting stars to return for a one-time only thing. It would be a fun night.

PBGamer89

PBGamer89

Fanatic

Posted Jan 20, 2012 @ 2:43 PM

I personally would be super impressed if TPTB casted an all star season without a Cloris type and instead we got people like Mel, Sabrina, Gilles, Melissa, etc.

I think they would probably cast Woz or Cloris as an obvious first elimination against better dancers, but they wouldn't fill the cast with them.

Thirteenthjuror

Thirteenthjuror

Fanatic

Posted Jan 20, 2012 @ 3:31 PM

I'm kind of anti an all star season. I just feel like there would be a lot of fanbase nastiness since all of these couples are going to come in with their pre-existing fans going on about how they were robbed for whatever reason and how each couple was the bestest couple ever.

I also don't see Mario Lopez doing it again. I'd imagine he feels above DWTS now and his ego was bruised enough by not winning the first time. Plus throw in that he would be dancing with his ex and forget about it.

I agree with this statement. Although, the nostalgia of it all is appealing to me, I think that most of these people have moved on from the show and competing on it. Some probably have sour feelings about not winning, the judges, unfair scoring, producer favoritism..etc. I think going through it once was probably enough from the ones that people really want to see do it again. The majority have always talked about it being a great experience, but how rigorous it was. I don't think going through that again would be appealing.

I'm also of the mind that you can't get struck by lightening twice feeling with the Allstars. What was fresh, new, exciting and loveable about the couples initially, probably couldn't be recreated again w/o some pandering. I feel like egos, knowing how the show works now and what the audience likes from the inside pov and outside would make for a lot of disingenuous moments when they came back.

spanana

spanana

Stalker

Posted Jan 20, 2012 @ 4:36 PM

I agree with much of what has been said. In addition to the fact that I think we would be getting some ego and/or bitter grapes from some past faves who obviously lost in their original seasons, it would be disappointing to remember a couple fondly and then have them shatter that image here. Also I think fan expectations would just be too high, sometimes to an unrealistic level, since there would be no surprise factor to what these folks could do. I just think this is one of the ideas that is appealing in theory, but not necessarily in practice. That said, if ratings continue to go down and definitely see TPTB trying to go this route.

TruBrit

TruBrit

Fanatic

Posted Jan 20, 2012 @ 4:47 PM

The only way that this can be remotely replicated is if they do a dwts show in Vegas. A bigger version of dwts tour type show.

Did I hear a rumor about a show in Vegas? I guess it was just a rumor...