1-14: "The Affair" 2008.05.05

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

21 replies to this topic

TWoP Roxy

TWoP Roxy

Fanatic

Posted May 2, 2008 @ 7:06 PM

From zap2it.com:

Samantha is convinced that Regina is having an affair with someone; Andrea considers opening a coffee shop with Dena.

HelloooKitty

HelloooKitty

Couch Potato

Posted May 5, 2008 @ 9:11 PM

"Come to dinnnnnnnnerr, in the castlllllllllle!"

charmdiva

charmdiva

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 5, 2008 @ 9:12 PM

I just caught a few minutes of the show. Was the man that Sam saw kissing her mother Perry King?

pakelihe

pakelihe

Fanatic

Posted May 5, 2008 @ 9:15 PM

Every time I get that much Howard in an episode, I'm happy. Thrown in Regina, and I'm pretty ecstatic. Could've used more Dena, though the facial expressions between her and Andrea at the coffee shop alone are worth re-watching that scene.

JakeyIsSusan

JakeyIsSusan

Fanatic

• Interests:television (duh!), pro wrestling, pop culture, awards shows, writing, dreaming, procrastinating

Posted May 5, 2008 @ 9:19 PM

Assuming Regina and Howard file taxes jointly, how could she hide the extra income from him? I'm no expert, but I wondered if it was impossible and that Regina could possibly be arrested for tax evasion, and that inkling ruined the episode for me. I'll have to ask my father the tax man about it.

J T

J T

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 5, 2008 @ 9:39 PM

If Regina prepared the taxes herself and Howard just trusts her and signs them without looking it over, she could hide the income (I would guess it is not huge amount of money). And that strikes me as the sort of thing her character (and his) would do.

Another entertaining show, I hope it does not go down if the actors strike this summer....

Edited by J T, May 5, 2008 @ 9:40 PM.

pakelihe

pakelihe

Fanatic

Posted May 5, 2008 @ 9:41 PM

Assuming Regina and Howard file taxes jointly, how could she hide the extra income from him?

I'm assuming they use an accountant, and Howard isn't all that concerned about the details, just the bottom line. He just happily signs and waits for his refund check to be mailed to him, even though he does know about "The Internet".

There are lots of guys who leave the finances to the spouse. I used to work with a guy who had to call and ask his wife how much he made per year every time we got raises, so he could then figure out how big it was.

iMissEthan

iMissEthan

Stalker

Posted May 5, 2008 @ 11:07 PM

To me it was standard sitcom fare - nothing impressive this week until the end. Any show that busts out PiL's Rise is OK by me.

JakeyIsSusan

JakeyIsSusan

Fanatic

• Interests:television (duh!), pro wrestling, pop culture, awards shows, writing, dreaming, procrastinating

Posted May 6, 2008 @ 1:24 AM

Thanks to all who cleared up the beef I had with the taxes. I have to say that, while I don't dislike anybody on this show, Howard and Regina are the only characters who consistently make me laugh out loud. I like how Howard always seems to be bitching about parking.

suzysite

suzysite

Couch Potato

Posted May 6, 2008 @ 7:25 AM

The whole Howard-thinking-Sam's-on-drugs thing had me giggling like a loon. Especially when he was potting the plants and said something like, "Don't get excited, it's not marijuana".

I'm glad there was no CrazyChloe in this one. Looks like we won't be so lucky next week.

hanvan2

hanvan2

Channel Surfer

Posted May 6, 2008 @ 8:27 AM

The whole Howard-thinking-Sam's-on-drugs thing had me giggling like a loon.

Me too, especially b/c I could relate. When I was in college my dad couldn't understand where all my money went (rent, gas, clothes of course) and he actually asked me this a couple of times. It was hard to keep a straight face b/c it is such a typical parent response, especially from that generation of parents.

I thought this episode was so funny, Jean Smart is awesome. I loved that storyline.

lynnbrown

lynnbrown

Channel Surfer

Posted May 6, 2008 @ 8:29 AM

Does anyone else feel like the intensity of the Todd/Sam macking came from out of nowhere? I mean... I know there's been this season-long flirtation and they're the central couple of the show, but there was a lot of smeared lipstick here. And there was a lot of simple resolution to the angst they'd been building all season. When we left them last week, they were just ready to concede their mutual feelings. Now they're horizontal and she's hiding under his sofa cushions? Maybe I'm the only one who feels like it was rushed (after all, they did kiss twice before this, since he's been with Chloe), but I thought he was so certain he was "in love with Chloe" and that he "chose her."

Also: can we get Winston Funk back, please? PLEASE?

I'm a little bit over Todd.

And Jennifer Esposito's sarcasm playing against Melissa McCarthy's undying optimism/exuberant hopefulness is comedy gold.

pakelihe

pakelihe

Fanatic

Posted May 6, 2008 @ 9:25 AM

Does anyone else feel like the intensity of the Todd/Sam macking came from out of nowhere?

I blame the strike. In a normal 22-episode season, they would have built this a bit more slowly, and probably had a minor reverse or two. Having to compress the arc into 13 episodes, they appear to have rushed it. Several other shows that I watch have done similar rush-jobs, IMO.

LurkerNoMore

LurkerNoMore

Fanatic

Posted May 6, 2008 @ 9:39 AM

Jean Smart is comedy gold in this role ... I love her.

Loved when Sam was eating dinner with her parents and asked to be excused. Regina looked at her plate, just like I do with my young kids, and nodded since I assume Sam had eaten enough.

Andrea and Deena were great together. "We can live in the apartment above the coffee shop and have great adventures!" Deena was funny with her story about having followed someone in the past.

This show is coming back, right? Right!?!

mightymos

mightymos

Fanatic

Posted May 6, 2008 @ 11:36 AM

I laughed at loud so many times and I didn't even see the episode from the beginning. But everything from Lancelot to "I bet you like it roughy!" and then her dad so sure she was on drugs... oh my God. I could not stop giggling.

Bacio83

Bacio83

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 6, 2008 @ 1:22 PM

Dena makes these episodes this one especially. When they were spying on Sam's Mom and Andrea said we when Dena clapped her hands "You said we." she reminded me of the Japanese Anime characters... so cute. LOL This was another golden episode. And the "You could be president" killed me.

lynnbrown

lynnbrown

Channel Surfer

Posted May 6, 2008 @ 3:10 PM

I guess my problem with rush-job romance, particularly with this show, is that it'd be better to just end on a cliffhanger next week and pick this up in the fall (unless the show isn't getting picked up in the fall... yikes!), as that could be the basis for the start of the second season. Will they/won't they relationship tension should definitely outlast season one. (And usually the will they/won't they relationships are the most boring ones on the show... i.e. Ross/Rachel... so the only way to keep them interesting is to leave them in the won't they column for as long as possible).

In addition: is this Andrea/Dena coffee shop thing gonna pay off or were they just messin' around? What does Dena do for a living? And if they *do* buy the coffee shop, please please PLEASE don't let Sam become an employee there. That'd take cutesy way, way over the top.

pakelihe

pakelihe

Fanatic

Posted May 6, 2008 @ 5:02 PM

I guess my problem with rush-job romance, particularly with this show, is that it'd be better to just end on a cliffhanger next week and pick this up in the fall (unless the show isn't getting picked up in the fall... yikes!)

According to The Futon Critic, it already has been picked up for next fall.

LurkerNoMore

LurkerNoMore

Fanatic

Posted May 7, 2008 @ 7:26 AM

That would be awesome for the coffee shop idea to come to fruition. Although even with Dena's good disposition, I don't see how long she could work 'with' Andrea. It would be too much for Sam to work there, I agree, but Regina could instead!

Tallulah2

Tallulah2

Couch Potato

Posted May 7, 2008 @ 5:19 PM

Love Regina-centric episodes, Jean Smart always delivers! The Howard stuff was adorable, too. This was just a tightly written, thoroughly enjoyable ep.

I'm really kind of over, Todd, too, though. For a few eps there, he just sort of lost his charm and came off like a jerk. I'd be okay with Sam breaking up with him and moving on. I understand we're supposed to think they're meant to be, but I'd rather the romantic focus be on Sam finding love than on Sam-and-Todd.

caranddriver

caranddriver

Channel Surfer

Posted May 9, 2008 @ 8:40 PM

Regina and Jean make the show. I keep watching the show hoping the sparkle comes back. The last couple episodes have been painful, particularly the pathetic boyfriend with his psycho girlfriend living in Sam's place and letting them walk all over her and her letting them.

jjj

jjj

Fanatic

Posted May 13, 2008 @ 6:26 PM

And the "You could be president" killed me.

Who said that? I went back thorugh this episode, thinking it was a Deena quote, but could not find it. The closest I came was when Sam was in the couch and said "Have you thought of running for president?"