Wilfred Mott: Nice To Meet Him Properly

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

27 replies to this topic

darkestboy

darkestboy

Stalker

Posted Apr 28, 2008 @ 12:09 PM

Given that both Rose and Martha's families have generated threads, I felt that Donna's grandfather was deserving of one. It's set to the UK pace of the series, so we've got three appearances to discuss of him so far.

My own thoughts - I think he's the best relative of a companion so far. I liked him briefly in Voyage Of The Damned and I was thrilled when I found out he'd be back as Donna's grandfather. His scenes with both Donna and The Doctor in The Sontaran Stratagem were terrific. He definitely deserves a TARDIS trip. After all he seems to love alien folk.

dunvegan948

dunvegan948

Fanatic

Posted Apr 28, 2008 @ 4:21 PM

I think the first thing in Wilf's favor is that he seems to be the nicest relative of a companion we've seen so far. Martha's brother comes in second, I think, but we didn't see that much of him. Wilf is just accepting of everything that makes Donna who she is. That's pretty clear when he asks in PiC where that Donna went.

I love Wilf (and not just because he loves Donna).

arizonamyrie

arizonamyrie

Stalker

Posted Apr 29, 2008 @ 8:16 AM

I love the fact that RTD decided to bring him back after the death of the actor originally set to play Donna's father. So, they brought in Wilf, made up the backstory of him not being able to be at Donna's wedding, and there he is. And I really want him to be able to take even just one trip on the TARDIS. He'd get along with the Doctor well.

O2Sean

O2Sean

Stalker

Posted May 1, 2008 @ 1:59 AM

My pick for nicest is Pete Tyler (he sacrificed his life to save everyone else), but I love Wilf too. He's such a breath of fresh air, because most of the time, the only companion family relationships we see in any detail are strained mother/daughter relations. Wilf's a grizzled old man but still has a childlike eagerness about the possibilities of life. It's a great combination. That scene where he saw Donna again was so moving.

JillieRose

JillieRose

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 15, 2008 @ 12:52 PM

RTD is big on mother/daughter strife: "I love all you mothers and daughters and your constant bickering" is about as close to the quote as I can remember.

So it's lovely to have Donna's Grandad, especially as he's so adorably lovely.

Yay Wilf!

darkestboy

darkestboy

Stalker

Posted Jun 20, 2008 @ 12:07 PM

I do agree. I love supportive Wilf is but like Pete and Clive, he seems to have no animosity or mistrust of The Doctor wheras jackie, Francine and Sylvia do.

Ella Ollivander

Ella Ollivander

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 20, 2008 @ 1:22 PM

Of the three father figures, though, Wilf is the only one who is, from the start, supportive of (in this case) Donna's travels. When both Pete and Alt-Pete met the Doctor, they had no reason for fatherly concern about Rose's relationship with him, the way Jackie did. And by the time Clive met the Doctor... well, jubilation in the wake of Tinkerbell Jesus Ten was the order of the day by that point. Neither of these dads were really given a proper chance to react to his daughter's choices, like the mothers were.

Which really just makes me even happier about the way Wilf is being written. His fatherly trust and support is so sweet, and it's nice that he gets about equal screen time with Sylvia.

O2Sean

O2Sean

Stalker

Posted Jun 21, 2008 @ 9:33 PM

I think Wilfred has become the best family member we've ever seen on the show. I love his relationship with Donna. Bernard Cribbins and Catherine Tate are magical together. Bernard plays the supporting role well but when they give him a moment of his own, like Bernard's heartbreak as he realized the Italian family was being sent to a concentration camp, I can't take my eyes off him. That scene of his face, that simple little scene, was one of the most heartbreaking moments I've seen in a long time.

Cygnia

Cygnia

Fanatic

Posted Jun 21, 2008 @ 9:35 PM

All I'm saying is if Wilf gets an action figure, I'm so buying it. :)

darkestboy

darkestboy

Stalker

Posted Jun 22, 2008 @ 11:53 AM

After last night's performance I really want more Wilf. His horror at that family being removed was heart-breaking.

Nuallain

Nuallain

Fanatic

Posted Jun 26, 2008 @ 3:59 PM

And I really want him to be able to take even just one trip on the TARDIS.

Heh, he kind of already has, long ago (sorry about the music, best I could find).

xtreme

xtreme

Stalker

Posted Jun 29, 2008 @ 4:36 PM

Loved him in the latest one. He went from Big.Damn.Hero to the perfect Cheeky Chappy. If he gets hurt I will be really unhappy.

outforawalk

outforawalk

Stalker

Posted Jun 29, 2008 @ 4:42 PM

If he gets hurt I will be really unhappy.

Argh. The girl serving my coffee and beignets today suggested that Wilf would die and that would be the loss the lady from the Shadow Proclamation mentioned. It made me want to kick her. I love Wilf.

EvilEmoGnome

EvilEmoGnome

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 29, 2008 @ 6:38 PM

Oh man, when the Dalek melted that paint (and seriously, how awesome was Wilf with the paint gun?! LOVE.) I was so sure he was toast. I really have come to adore this character over the last few episodes.

D.C.

D.C.

Stalker

Posted Jun 29, 2008 @ 6:42 PM

What I want to know is what Sylvia thought Wilf was going to do with a webcam.

HauntedBathroom

HauntedBathroom

Fanatic

Posted Jun 30, 2008 @ 7:35 AM

Best not to think about it, really.

Nuallain

Nuallain

Fanatic

Posted Jul 1, 2008 @ 6:11 AM

It reminds me of a conversation I once had with one of my sister-in-law's sisters-in-law (whatever that's called).

"Oooh... I don't do the internets. I got a webcam once and I all I got was a bloke on the other end pulling away at his lad. Dirty beggar."

I didn't point out that the internet didn't make her go to that sort of chatroom.

Radagast

Radagast

Fanatic

Posted Jul 1, 2008 @ 2:04 PM

Just listened to the audio commentary, where they were in full praise of Bernard. Apparently he actually suggested the paint-gun-to-the-eyestalk idea to RTD, who promptly wrote it into the script; on top of that, the "can we swap?" line was ad-libbed during filming!

What a fellah.

Limber

Limber

Fanatic

Posted Jul 5, 2008 @ 9:50 PM

I love Wilf, I want him around in future. Especially as he certainly seemed to get everything about Donna's relationship with the Doctor, and that it made her better. He'll make sure that her mother doesn't railroad her again.

And I choked up a bit when Wilf went to such efforts to assure the Doctor that someone would be thinking of him. It was just so earnest and sweet and heartbroken, and the Doctor seemed to appreciate it. Made me think that Wilf had been very alone with Donna gone, and that he knows what loneliness is like in general. And that he offered the best comfort he could.

meemalee

meemalee

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 15, 2008 @ 4:21 AM

If you're anywhere near London next Thursday 21st August, you really can meet Wilf properly - or at least Bernard Cribbins - as there's an event at the Stamp Centre on the Strand :-)

Radagast

Radagast

Fanatic

Posted Apr 7, 2009 @ 6:16 PM

Looks like Wilf gets a TARDIS ride after all - Bernard Cribbins will be the full-on companion in the two-part Tennant finale at Christmas (revealed here briefly).

darkestboy

darkestboy

Stalker

Posted Apr 8, 2009 @ 8:57 AM

I think Yay nicely conveys everything that can be said on the matter.

Cygnia

Cygnia

Fanatic

Posted Apr 8, 2009 @ 9:04 AM

Rusty better not be planning on killing him off. I don't want any more Noble sacrifices. :p

now speech

now speech

Just Tuned In

Posted Apr 9, 2009 @ 10:08 AM

But if there's a better grandfatherly figure for a new younger doctor to be comforted by I'm sure I can't think of one.

Impassive

Impassive

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 10, 2009 @ 1:03 PM

I am just beyond excited that Wilf gets a ride. I adore him. Yay yay!

HoneyBee

HoneyBee

Stalker

• Interests:I'm an easy going person and likes to hang out. I like to observe and learn things, and my passions are movies, TV and travelling. I could say that I believe in the soul, high fiber, good Martini, that the books of Chicken Soup of the Soul are self-indulgent crap. I believe in sweet spot, soft-core romantic drama, good food, and I believe in long-slow-deep-soft-wet kisses that last more than three days. I have a computer, a TV, a DVD player, a bathroom & pizza delivery. Why should I leave the house? Of course, unless you have a damn good reason to drag me out; like hell with fluorescent lighting. In other word: Life is a waste of time, time is a waste of life, so get wasted all the time and have the time of your life.

Posted Dec 28, 2009 @ 11:45 AM

Wilf is so awesome...

His quiet conversation with Ten was the best scene and heartbreaking. The Doctor really need a father/best friend figure like him....

PLEASE I hope he'd survive in the end!

Effra

Effra

Couch Potato

• Interests:History, science fiction, football (English), Dickens, London, Italy.

Posted Dec 28, 2009 @ 1:43 PM

Wilf is so awesome...

His quiet conversation with Ten was the best scene and heartbreaking. The Doctor really need a father/best friend figure like him....

PLEASE I hope he'd survive in the end!

I love Wilf too HoneyBee. I fear though he is not going to survive. In that church scene, before he walks to the altar, there's a long shot of him standing right in front of a war memorial headed something like 'for those who died to save their country'.

voiceover

voiceover

Fanatic

Posted Dec 28, 2011 @ 1:34 AM

Wow, who knew...Bernard Cribbins is in 1966's Daleks: Invasion Earth 2150 A.D....it's on TCM tonight! Peter Cushing is the Doctor, who also has a granddaughter AND a niece.

The Daleks sound exactly the same.