3-17: "The Goat" 2008.04.28 (recap)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

254 replies to this topic

TWoP Barnes

TWoP Barnes

Stalker

Posted Apr 27, 2008 @ 9:12 PM

(TiVo says:) When Barney breaks the "bro code," he struggles with the consequences of his actions.

Cast: Josh Radnor (Actor), Jason Segel (Actor), Alyson Hannigan (Actor), Neil Patrick Harris (Actor), Cobie Smulders (Actor), Alan Fudge (Guest Star), Destiny Whitlock (Guest Star), Megan McNulty (Guest Star), Alexis Krause (Guest Star), Marshall Manesh (Guest Star)

Crew: Carter Bays (Executive Producer), Craig Thomas (Executive Producer), Stephen Lloyd (Writer), Pamela Fryman (Director), Bob Saget (narrator)

Edited by TWoP Barnes, Apr 30, 2008 @ 9:19 AM.
linked to recap

Drujay

Drujay

Just Tuned In

Posted Apr 28, 2008 @ 8:01 PM

I watched this episode as hard and as closely as is humanly possible.

I'm not entirely certain what happened.

The tag made me confused.

helloresolven

helloresolven

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 28, 2008 @ 8:02 PM

So, the goat scenes were never part of his 30th birthday? And this means Robin will be moving in with Ted next (hopefully) season!?

And c'mon! Ted broke the Bro Code with the low blow!

Senator X

Senator X

Fanatic

Robin living with Ted next year? Shocked!

clrkaitken

clrkaitken

Channel Surfer

What happened is that they wasted the best callback to Season 1 they had is what happened.

Liked everything else, though.

RubySlippers

RubySlippers

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 28, 2008 @ 8:03 PM

Oh. My. God...

And drujay... the tag was telling us that by Ted's 31st birthday, Robin will be living in the apartment. And apparently, Missy will still be around.

RandomWatcher

RandomWatcher

Fanatic

The goat looked evil and it's still with them a year later?

Those poor kids. I bet they'll become vegetarians now.

Giggitty

Giggitty

Loyal Viewer

I kind of feel cheated out of the whole goat thing...I get that the 30th Birthday party was on the roof and the 31st birthday party was at Ted's office...but why was Lily asking Robin how it was to sleep with Barney a whole year after it happened..unless (to the horror of us Barney/Robin shippers) nothing comes of their relationship. That would suck major balls.

Overall it was a good episode, I got kind of emotional during the Barney/Ted confrontation. Barney's face made me sad inside.

Edited by Giggitty, Apr 28, 2008 @ 8:04 PM.

Red Adept

Red Adept

Video Archivist

wow, I'm dumbfounded. I'm sorry they wasted the goat, but Robin's living there in a year? whoa!

RubySlippers

RubySlippers

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 28, 2008 @ 8:05 PM

Robin may be living there in a year... but we don't know that Ted will be.

AngleMan

AngleMan

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 28, 2008 @ 8:06 PM

Evil evil tag. But we get a clue, Robin is living with Ted next year.

Not a Funny funny episode, much like nothing good happens after 2 am. but I think it was okay.

clairesebastian

clairesebastian

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 28, 2008 @ 8:07 PM

Am I the only one incredibly disappointed? I feel like that was a very cliched way to take that storyline. I also really dislike that they didn't address any Robin/Barney stuff b/c that chemistry has been building a long time.

The fake call-back was kind of a disappointment too. I'm not a fan of this episode, though the secret reveal to Marshall was pretty funny.

Also: I agree with Ruby Slippers. We don't know that Ted is living there in a year. We only know that Robin is.

Senator X

Senator X

Fanatic

Posted Apr 28, 2008 @ 8:07 PM

I just took it as SageTed got the goat anecdote of the story wrong. All the other stuff happened at his 30th.

BTW, I'm not even held in suspense that Barney and Ted will become friends again.

Good episode still. I loved all the bro-codes and the Ben Franklin/George Washington flashback was funny.

"Devil's Threeway." Hahaha.

ScarlettLynn

ScarlettLynn

Fanatic

• Interests:I'm here because I'm completely addicted to television.

Posted Apr 28, 2008 @ 8:08 PM

The goat looked evil and it's still with them a year later?

Not still. The goat doesn't appear until Ted's 31st Birthday.

bellatora88

bellatora88

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 28, 2008 @ 8:09 PM

I think that the goat (or at least a goat) will be at both the 30th and 31st birthday parties. Considering some of those scenes with the goat at the party would make less sense if they took place a year from then.

Totally didn't catch that the goat eating Robyn's hand towels meant that Robin would be living there. Go boards!

And I feel really bad for Barney. I know that Uncle Barney and Ted will reconcile at some point, and maybe it's good for Barney to finally have to face the consequences of doing something wrong. But, poor Barney! He just lost his bro/best friend and probably his entire group of friends (you can't be in the bar with Lily, Marshall and Robyn if Ted is there).

Hitcho

Hitcho

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 28, 2008 @ 8:09 PM

I kind of feel cheated out of the whole goat thing...I get that the 30th Birthday party was on the roof and the 31st birthday party was at Ted's office...but why was Lily asking Robin how it was to sleep with Barney a whole year after it happened..unless (to the horror of us Barney/Robin shippers) nothing comes of their relationship. That would suck major balls.

My interpretation was that the presence of the goat itself and the location were from Ted's 31st, but the conversation was from the 30th. It was all a result of FutureTed's jumbled memory, putting a "present" conversation at a "future" event.

Gesser

Gesser

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 28, 2008 @ 8:10 PM

I think that the goat was the only "thing that didn't belong" during Ted's 30th party, while all the conversations and people were actually at his 30th and not his 31st

And...it was totally a cop-out when there was no goat...but I do like that Robin moves in with Ted (I think it's cute and I like their interactions with each other...both as a couple and non-couple).

Overall- pretty good episode, but the goat/no-goat thing was confusing...I definitely had a "whaaat?" moment

cette1965

cette1965

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 28, 2008 @ 8:10 PM

I am glad Ted did not offer TV instant forgiveness. In reality what Barney & Robin did was hurtful and at best they should get eventual acceptance but with a loss of close friendship. The more likely outcome IRL would be a permanent breach. However this is not reality so I am sure everything will be glossed over.

akg

akg

Stalker

Posted Apr 28, 2008 @ 8:11 PM

Robin may be living there in a year... but we don't know that Ted will be.

Or it could be that Ted and Robin are just roommates. Lily and Marshall will move out eventually and Ted might not want to have the apartment to himself.

I know Ted and Barney will make up eventually but the limo scene still made me sad (except for Ranjit!).

MustBeThursday

MustBeThursday

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 28, 2008 @ 8:13 PM

NOOOOO.

They messed up our BroTP.

It will return, it better return.

Man, that scene with Barney and Ted was intense. We know that of course he gets forgiven, but it still was hard to see so much pain between the two of them. And Barney's face was so tragic.

I'm very disappointed with how they handled Robin/Barney, although Lilly's questions about Barney in bed were hilarious. I only wish Robin had been like 'totally' and given some inclination to actually enjoying her time. Bah!

moemac

moemac

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 28, 2008 @ 8:13 PM

Ok, so let me get this straight, they have a goat for a year and the awful goat story happens the following year with Robin living in the apartment, or the whole goat story actually happens the following year and saget ted got the story mixed up.

I actually feel bad for Barney at the end. I know he broke the bro code and all, but the last shot of him in the limo drinking made me sad.

although Lilly's questions about Barney in bed were hilarious.

That was my favorite part. I loved her incessant questions with Marshall telling her to be quiet. That is so what I would have done if I was in Lily's shoes.

Edited by moemac, Apr 28, 2008 @ 8:17 PM.

Glory

Glory

Fanatic

• Interests:T.V., Movies, Books, Gaming, and animals.

Posted Apr 28, 2008 @ 8:14 PM

I really loved the teaser and Barney's, "Hey Robin! Guess who nailed the chick from Metra News 1?"

As for the goat scenes, just take the party and remove the goat with a big eraser. The party and convo took place as described, just minus one goat. I kind of liked that because I know that when I tell stories about New Year's Eve I get them all jumbled up. My friends will be like, "No! The little bottle story was from '05 and the Hulk spray paint was '04!"

LLSS

LLSS

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 28, 2008 @ 8:14 PM

I'm perplexed as to why Robin gets instant forgiveness and Barney bears the blame. They both hurt Ted, they should both have to suffer the loss of his friendship.

Also, kind of bummed that that's it for Robin and Barney. Way to throw out ridiculously awesome chemistry.

I need to know what is up with that goat!

alexmarsz

alexmarsz

Fanatic

Posted Apr 28, 2008 @ 8:15 PM

I'm a little disappointed too. After last week's second video, I was anxious for goat closure. And while the teasing is funny, it's also a little underwhelming on a show that was heavy with plot and could have used more humor.

As for the goat being there a year, it's possible FutureTed got the date wrong all along, and there was no goat at the 30th. That all the storytelling with the goat really belongs at the 31st. It didn't really tie in to the other plot anyway. But that doesn't preclude Lily actually probing Robin for details.

Also, Ted broke the "always say yes" rule the first time they met. Although maybe it didn't count because he didn't know it yet.

The "Robin moves in" tease is interesting. Apparently they work better when they have some end point marked and have to fill in the gaps.

clairesebastian

clairesebastian

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 28, 2008 @ 8:15 PM

Maybe Barney and Ted reconcile when Barney realizes he wants to go for Robin for real...

RandomWatcher

RandomWatcher

Fanatic

Posted Apr 28, 2008 @ 8:16 PM

I need to know what is up with that goat!

The goat's evil.

wackychick21

wackychick21

Channel Surfer

I get that the 30th Birthday party was on the roof and the 31st birthday party was at Ted's office

When was it mentioned that his 31st party is at Ted's office? I don't remember that at all.

As far as this episode goes, I thought that whole thing was handled in the only way that really made sense. Ted couldn't really be fine with the whole thing, and I thought it was understandable that his first reaction was to cut Barney out of his life. I don't doubt that they'll get past this (obviously, since he's "Uncle Barney" later on) and become friends again, but in order for the storyline to be realistic, he really had to have a strong reaction. I thought the scene in the limo was really well played by both Neil and Josh.

I'm not too worried about the lack of closure as far as Barney and Robin's feelings for each other...I would imagine it'll be addressed in another episode. There's too much fallout involved in them sleeping together for it to all be dealt with in one episode.

Senator X

Senator X

Fanatic

That's a good point regarding Robin. Ted should be equally pissed at her. Maybe we haven't seen all the fallout, but it looked like he was okay with Robin and really pissed at Barney. It takes two to break the bro-code.

clairesebastian

clairesebastian

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 28, 2008 @ 8:18 PM

I'm very disappointed with how they handled Robin/Barney, although Lilly's questions about Barney in bed were hilarious. I only wish Robin had been like 'totally' and given some inclination to actually enjoying her time. Bah!

I totally agree. Robin should've had some kind of indication that it was awesome.

I'm perplexed as to why Robin gets instant forgiveness and Barney bears the blame. They both hurt Ted, they should both have to suffer the loss of his friendship.

Also, kind of bummed that that's it for Robin and Barney. Way to throw out ridiculously awesome chemistry.

I completely agree on the first point, she should have some repercussions too.

As for the second...maybe we have to wait and see.

Pinwiz

Pinwiz

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 28, 2008 @ 8:18 PM

I can't imagine that Robin and Ted get back together, so maybe Robin moves in to Lily and Marshall's old room when they finally move to Dowisetrpla.