SoapNet Please Bring Back…

• Please log in to reply

175 replies to this topic

dubbel zout

dubbel zout

Stalker

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 6:42 PM

they are going to carry both SoapNet & Disney Junior

I wonder if cable companies balked at having to pay an additional fee for Disney Junior, so ABC sweetened the deal by keeping SoapNet around?

DirectEstoppel

DirectEstoppel

Posted May 19, 2012 @ 2:50 PM

Loving, Passions from '99-'03, and the entire run of Sunset Beach.

Writing Wrongs

Writing Wrongs

Fanatic

Posted Jun 23, 2012 @ 1:15 PM

Well, Mediacom pulled Soapnet in favor of Disney Jr. Great, more cartoons. I was just getting into rewatching Veronica Mars.

Edited by Writing Wrongs, Jun 23, 2012 @ 1:15 PM.

tvgoddess

tvgoddess

Fanatic

Posted Jun 23, 2012 @ 2:13 PM

My area for Comcast SoapNet is still going strong. Here's hoping they don't pull the plug.

msstaceyu

msstaceyu

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 24, 2012 @ 12:00 PM

I enjoy the One Tree Hill episodes that they play during the day. I wish they would continue with the series instead of starting over after Lucas and Peyton leave the show.

jjj

jjj

Fanatic

Posted Aug 26, 2012 @ 7:33 PM

Boy, I wish there was a way to have Comcast bring back SoapNet in all markets. If it is still broadcasting, as you say it is, it does not seem like such a challenge.

Turkish

Turkish

Stalker

Posted Aug 27, 2012 @ 1:11 AM

I'm still getting SoapNet as well so I get to watch old reruns of AMC and Veronica Mars pretty much everyday which makes me really happy. I hope they stick with this and I never get Disney Junior.

DanaMB

DanaMB

Stalker

Posted Nov 11, 2013 @ 7:19 PM

Well, SN won't be bringing anything back again. It officially goes dark December 31st. Source.

Greta

Greta

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 11, 2013 @ 8:24 PM

So there's a cable channel whose name suggests it will showcase long-running shows with plenty of pop culture recognition, both specifically (for Erica Kane, Luke and Laura, etc) and generally (world freezin', baby switchin', bed hoppin', soap tropin', etc.). These shows are not available on DVD.  Many older fans who remember these shows from the beginning as something they watched with their mothers and grandmothers are now retirees (with disposable incomes!) home during daytime viewing hours.  That's even before we get into the cult appeal of 80s nighttime soaps like Dynasty and Falcon Crest.

And ABC somehow managed to bludgeon it into death throes that involve One Tree Hill, Veronica Mars and 90210 marathons.

junemeatcleaver

junemeatcleaver

Fanatic

Posted Nov 11, 2013 @ 9:31 PM

I can understand why ABC/Disney was hesitant to take full potential of SoapNet, imo most older daytime soaps attract mainly  older people, but it was still a waste of potential.  It was there chance to say screw advertisers and market and appeal to older viewers, and they blew it.

Oh well, SoapNet was good between 2000 and about 2005. 

WhitneyWhit

WhitneyWhit

Fanatic

Posted Nov 12, 2013 @ 4:19 AM

The irony of all of this is that when Soapnet was broadcasting actual soaps, including the classic nighttime soaps like Dynasty, Dallas, etc., they were actually breaking cable ratings records. Then Brian Frons (who else) came aboard and we got One Tree Hill (a marginally successful show that is on DVD) The O.C (a successful show that fizzled out fast and is also on DVD)  90210 (a highly successful show and personal favorite, but had been in reruns for years on FX before coming to SN and is on DVD) and the ratings tanked.

And of course, as with the destruction of ABC daytime, no one behind the scenes will take responsibility, or admit it was their own terrible decision that led to this. They'll just chalk it up to the public losing interest.

Spazzo47

Spazzo47

Fanatic

Posted Nov 16, 2013 @ 10:09 PM

I caught soapnet as often as I could for the old shows.  I just can't believe they let that happen.  So upset about it.  And worse is that I answer phones for a cable company.  Apparently last time they tried to take away SN, people went nuts with the people on the phone.  My boss said they were afraid of getting jumped going to their cars (employees).  I just have this image in my head of weeping with upset soap fans and then being harrassed going to my car for taking SN away.  It's not my fault!  I swear it's not my fault!

Linds09

Linds09

Fanatic

Posted Nov 17, 2013 @ 1:53 PM

Damn! Now I'll have to actually use my dvr.

Greta

Greta

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 17, 2013 @ 2:03 PM

Thank you Spazzo47! Now I won't feel at all awkward about calling Comcast and ABCD and ranting, since I'll be just one of many:) I know it's not the CSRs' fault so my vitriol will be solely directed at the idiots in charge.

vb68

vb68

Stalker

Posted Nov 18, 2013 @ 1:51 AM

I caught soapnet as often as I could for the old shows.

I did too.  I loved watching the reruns of Falcon Crest.

I was always hoping for Flamingo Road.  Sigh.

Edited by vb68, Nov 18, 2013 @ 1:52 AM.

discorules

discorules

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 18, 2013 @ 1:34 PM

My local affiliates interrupt the soaps for ANYTHING so I loved having SoapNet as a backup, much as I use TV Guide Channel for Y&R backup. It's the end of an era.....SoapNet was fabulous when it first began.

Petunia13

Petunia13

Fanatic

Posted Nov 18, 2013 @ 1:56 PM

Nooooo!!!!! I love Soapnet!

dubbel zout

dubbel zout

Stalker

Posted Nov 22, 2013 @ 3:33 PM

I'll miss the Veronica Mars/Gilmore Girls bloc on the weekends. I have VM on DVD, but I still get sucked in whenever it's on TV. On the other hand, this now gives me some five hours of the day back. Heh.

daniel82

daniel82

Fanatic

Posted Nov 22, 2013 @ 6:06 PM

They're re-running the 2013 Nurses Ball episodes from GH over the Thanksgiving holiday. 

I wish they would do a lot of "theme weekends" or event-style marathons before the network goes black.  What other place will we have to see such things as "Quartermania" (last Thanksgiving)?  A really nifty final week of programming would be the final episodes of all sorts of now-cancelled soaps, like the final five episodes of AW, EON, RH, SuBe, ATWT, GL, etc.

I know it won't happen, of course--ABC/Disney has basically disowned the channel and likely won't do anything to say farewell except perhaps direct us to watch that kid channel they're replacing it with.

Linds09

Linds09

Fanatic

Posted Nov 24, 2013 @ 3:06 PM

I would love to see some AW.

Lilybee

Lilybee

Fanatic

Posted Dec 9, 2013 @ 3:12 AM

Soap Net, please stay on the air.

Linds09

Linds09

Fanatic

Posted Dec 9, 2013 @ 9:11 AM

I know. I'm losing WWE Classics and Soap Net at the same time. Can they at least do an AW marathon before they hit the lights? Not even all of em, just a little Grant and Ryan and Carl and Rachel and Iris? Maybe that scene of Ian coming out the water? Original Lorna and Felicia? Jenna and her rock star boyfriend? No? Okay, well can you play the 90210 where Donna Martin graduates? The protest, I mean. Or Brenda cutting off Kelly's hair a'la fantasy?

tvgoddess

tvgoddess

Fanatic

Posted Dec 9, 2013 @ 10:39 AM

Original Lorna and Felicia

This is the entire reason I originally purchased Soap Net. If it weren't for my love for Alicia Coppola, well let's just say I would probably have a lot more time on my hands all these years later.

I wonder if they're going to do anything special before they sign off, or if it will just be the regular lineup.

Neeney

Neeney

Fanatic

Posted Dec 19, 2013 @ 10:02 AM

Soapnet is gone from my cable. It was there yesterday!

discorules

discorules

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 19, 2013 @ 12:36 PM

Funny that it's still listed in TV Guide through January 5.

redshirtx

redshirtx

Fanatic

Posted Dec 19, 2013 @ 2:32 PM

Various providers have said they'd be yanking SOAPnet before year's end (before Christmas specifically, IIRC; I'm not sure, but I think Verizon FiOS may be the last to pull it), though ABC itself did say it'd be gone by then as well.  I'm oddly okay with it at this point, but then I've kind of been over the channel since they started their everpresent 90210 and One Tree Hill reruns.  That said it'd be nice if TVGN picked up the rerun slack for Days and GH...

Neeney

Neeney

Fanatic

Posted Dec 19, 2013 @ 2:49 PM

They didn't announce that it was going or anything. I just went to watch it this morning and it wasn't there. For a moment I thought I'd put in the wrong channel!

I knew it was going, but since I'd read the end of December, I thought we'd have it for at least that long.

Edited by Neeney, Dec 19, 2013 @ 2:50 PM.

Spazzo47

Spazzo47

Fanatic

Posted Dec 19, 2013 @ 3:05 PM

I lost it a couple days ago.  And then got my first customer looking for it last night.  And when I got off the phone with her, I silently and sarcastically said "Thank you Brian Frons."

No warning or anything, just gone.  And the last time I saw it, the commercials made it seem like it would be on forever.

Lilybee

Lilybee

Fanatic

Posted Dec 19, 2013 @ 3:05 PM

Soapnet please bring back Soapnet.

Linds09

Linds09

Fanatic

Posted Dec 19, 2013 @ 4:32 PM

It's there- I was watching it last night. I actually watched Days too for the first time in a while.