SoapNet Please Bring Back…

• Please log in to reply

175 replies to this topic

clovisrex

clovisrex

Fanatic

Posted Nov 22, 2010 @ 6:59 PM

I want SoapNet to bring itself back.

I don't care if they do. Once they're gone, I'll watch more shows online. They're too ABCD-centric anyway, and I can't stand all the promos for TFGH. I do think Santa Barbara would be nice, or Passions, or any soap that featured some actors that I would recognize from current soaps.

laward

laward

Fanatic

Posted Nov 23, 2010 @ 2:39 PM

Since it seems Soapnet won't bring back soaps, I'm wondering if anyone is watching their original programming. Being Erica intrigues me, but I refuse to watch it on principle.

Being Erica isn't actually original programming. It's a Canadian show that SoapNet airs several months after its aired in Canada.

Personally, I find it sufficiently soapy to give it a pass as it deals with Erica's romantic relationships (Ethan, Kai, New Guy), her sister's romantic relationships (douchebag first hubby, Kai, Lennin), her mother and father (divorce, etc), her brother's death, Brent's personal vendetta against Erica's and Julianne's upstart publishing business, and Dr. Tom's relationship with his daughter (and how that makes him overly close to his patient), etc. that time-tripping or not, it really isn't far removed from soap-territory (and there have been time trippy storylines on soaps as well *cough*OLTL, Passions, Days*cough*.

clovisrex

clovisrex

Fanatic

Posted Dec 18, 2010 @ 7:34 PM

I want Soapnet to broadcast B&B, so I don't have to get up off the couch and go over to the computer to watch it. Does anyone know why they don't show B&B? Do the Bells not want it, or does Soapnet not want a half hour show, or do they only want one CBS and one NBC show with their three ABCD shows?

IIRC, Soapnet is ending at the end of 2011.

Edited by clovisrex, Dec 18, 2010 @ 7:45 PM.

pjamma

pjamma

Stalker

Posted Dec 18, 2010 @ 7:42 PM

I would love to see Dark Shadows. I've heard so many great things about it but have never seen an episode. Johnny Depp is slated to star in the movie version that will be released in 2012, so showing the original episodes would be a great lead up to the release (that is of SoupNet isn't of the air by then).

MrDorianLord

MrDorianLord

Channel Surfer

Posted Dec 18, 2010 @ 8:00 PM

I would love to see Dark Shadows. I've heard so many great things about it but have never seen an episode. Johnny Depp is slated to star in the movie version that will be released in 2012, so showing the original episodes would be a great lead up to the release (that is of SoupNet isn't of the air by then).

Just buy or download the DVDs. It's all there.

vb68

vb68

Stalker

Posted Mar 25, 2011 @ 2:09 PM

Since it has so little time left, I really do wish the network would shake up it's lineup and bring back some old favorites for marathon runs or something.

vb68

vb68

Stalker

Posted Apr 20, 2011 @ 6:41 AM

There's some question about the exact end date of Soapnet.

The link also gives a rather fascinating look at the evolution of the plans for the network going forward. "Carrie"? That name alone makes me laugh.

Spazzo47

Spazzo47

Fanatic

Posted Jan 17, 2012 @ 12:40 AM

With the ending of Soapnet coming within weeks, I really wish they would do marathons of the last week of each of the recently departed soaps. Just go in order of cancellation. So the last week that there's a Soapnet they show the final week of OLTL, the week before would be AMC, the week before that, the final ATWTs, before that GL etc. On the last day of Soapnet, do the finales of as many shows as they can find, maybe even some premiere episodes.

In theory, each final week of shows should have been the best they could put forward and I think they are something worth watching again.

jetty

jetty

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 17, 2012 @ 4:24 PM

Knowing ABC/Disney, they'll probably do a marathon of "One Tree Hill" and the final day of SoapNet will be "Preview Day!" for Disney Jr.

fortesmtng

fortesmtng

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 17, 2012 @ 4:49 PM

And all will be chock full of commercials for The Chew and The Revolution (I think that's the name of the most recent brain dead soap replacement.)

Spazzo47

Spazzo47

Fanatic

Posted Jan 17, 2012 @ 4:50 PM

I know. THat's why I wanted to try whispering something in their ear....

spencerriley

spencerriley

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 4, 2012 @ 10:27 AM

Does anyone know if Soapnet is still ending? It's past the March deadline and still on the air.

argee2

argee2

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 4, 2012 @ 11:29 AM

It's ending, but depending on which satellite or cable system you subscribe to, it could be on the air for a while more. I know, for example, Dish Network has an especially thorny relationship with Disney and they always have difficulty in negotiating carriage fees for channels (that's why Dish hasn't carried Disney in HD for a couple years).

Runningwild

Runningwild

Fanatic

Posted Apr 4, 2012 @ 12:03 PM

It's still on my VerizonFIOS. For how long, I have no idea.

B2H

B2H

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 4, 2012 @ 12:38 PM

It's kinda weird but they have a schedule for Disney Jr on their website for today, 4 April. But you-all are saying Soapnet is still on the air. I'm confused.

TVbytheNumbers article

This article says the replacement started on the 23rd of March.

Edited by B2H, Apr 4, 2012 @ 12:39 PM.

tvgoddess

tvgoddess

Fanatic

Posted Apr 4, 2012 @ 12:58 PM

It's weird they mention Comcast in that article, because I have Comcast and still have SoapNet. Whatever, I'm not complaining. I hope it sticks around for a while.

I was in the check-out line the other day and thought I saw an article headline saying something about SoapNet not leaving.

The XZFactor

The XZFactor

Fanatic

Posted Apr 4, 2012 @ 1:08 PM

What I find kind of weird is that if Soapnet is really leaving any time soon why are they starting "new" programming like old episodes of Veronica Mars?

argee2

argee2

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 4, 2012 @ 2:30 PM

It's a gigantic mess, but it all depends on your local cable system: some have already switched SOAPnet to Disney Jr., some are going to make the switch in the near future, and some are going to keep SOAPnet and add Disney Jr. as a new channel. Right now, it looks like DirecTV and DISH network have no plans to add Disney Jr.

spencerriley

spencerriley

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 4, 2012 @ 7:28 PM

I live in Louisville, Ky and my cable provider Insight already has Disney Jr. as a new channel and Soapnet is still around on it's old channel. I too was confused by the Veronica Mars promos because I heart VM more then I can say and couldn't understand new programming if the format was going away soon. Please stay Soapnet.

ParadoxLost

ParadoxLost

Fanatic

Posted Apr 4, 2012 @ 7:42 PM

What I find kind of weird is that if Soapnet is really leaving any time soon why are they starting "new" programming like old episodes of Veronica Mars

Not only is it strange that they are starting new programming. They must have known for a while that they weren't going to close up if they had time to negotiate the deal to show Veronica Mars. I don't think that would be a call you make on a Friday to say "hey, we aren't going dark Monday after all, we need a program to fill the air time." I wonder if someone is putting together a deal to keep the network permanently. I don't think the Soaps will survive on it, but I wonder if it morphs into a teenage soap channel. All the old shows from CW, WB, etc.

Edited by ParadoxLost, Apr 4, 2012 @ 7:44 PM.

herefornow

herefornow

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 8, 2012 @ 10:09 PM

Its a shame they keep picking up teen dramas and even picked up Brothers and Sisters but not any of the old daytime and primetime soaps. And if they want to play teens stuff, why didn't they pick up Passions and run the first season? It was very popular among the teens

Jen1n

Jen1n

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 1:09 PM

It's still on my VerizonFIOS. For how long, I have no idea.

Runningwild, I have FIOS as well, and I saw a commercial for new Disney Jr. (or whatever it is that's supposed to replace SoapNet) and it was a different channel number than SoapNet. Maybe FIOS is doing both- could we be that lucky?

Spazzo47

Spazzo47

Fanatic

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 1:44 PM

why didn't they pick up Passions and run the first season? It was very popular among the teens

I don't know anything, but I wonder if there's some clause in teh contracts that says they can't run any daytime programming (former daytime programming) opposite when networks are showing their first run soaps. If that exists, then it might be easier from a programming standpoint to not do any daytime during the day. Just a guess, but it would make sense that they don't want any competition from soapnet during the hours that the daytime divisions are on the networks.

For example, I would totally watch any soap from 10 or 20 years ago over today's GH or Days (I don't watch B&B so I don't know how they would compare). If I'm a "typical" daytime viewer, none of the daytime divisions want to lose me to SN.

Just an idea, I don't know if it works in real life.

I guess I wish SN would show original programming, even if it's just like a weekend countdown show that let fans choose the 10 best __________ every week and showed those clips. (10 Hottest Love Scenes, 10 Best back from the dead reveals, 10 Best weddings, and as time goes by, they can choose things more specific)

I also wish they did more of those cheesy Karaoke videos of soap stars singing, but add actors from non-ABC soaps. Those videos were hillarious.

And for the love of all that is holy, when they repeat old episodes of GH, OLTL and AMC, can they go back to time when the shows were, you know, good?

scarlett45

scarlett45

Fanatic

Posted Apr 15, 2012 @ 12:00 AM

I too wonder why they don't pick up Passions. A number of years ago (2005 I think) the SyFy network (then called Sci Fi) rant two episodes every morning for about a month and then stopped for no reason.

herefornow

herefornow

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 15, 2012 @ 11:07 AM

SyFy stopped running Passions because of bad ratings, I had no idea they even ran the epis until they stopped.

Soapnet used to be a great channel that ran soaps all day long. They ran soaps during the Daytime when others soaps were on such as Port Charles and Another World

daniel82

daniel82

Fanatic

Posted Apr 15, 2012 @ 4:32 PM

Sci-Fi ran Passions mostly because NBC-Universal owned Passions as well as the Sci-Fi Channel. It was an easy re-purposing of a show they already had in-house, much like SoapNet airing the ABC soaps. The fact that NBC owned Passions may have worked against it being bought by ABC-affiliated SoapNet--NBC may have been against SoapNet making any money off their product. Y&R and Days (and earlier, AW reruns) only ended up on SoapNet because their production companies did the deals.

brothertonbanks

brothertonbanks

Fanatic

Posted Apr 16, 2012 @ 8:53 PM

Y&R and Days (and earlier, AW reruns) only ended up on SoapNet because their production companies did the deals.

I thought Bill Bell Jr. ran the business side of Y&R and B&B, and was responsible for selling them internationally also.

They should bring some UK soaps to the US, Holby City, or 25 years of Casualty would be good. GH should change the name of their show.

Edited by brothertonbanks, Apr 16, 2012 @ 8:53 PM.

Shadow Walker

Shadow Walker

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 17, 2012 @ 1:22 PM

I heard SoapNet got pulled from more stations today. If you have Time Warner Cable, Verizon Fios, and DirectTV you will still have it for awhile.

daniel82

daniel82

Fanatic

Posted Apr 17, 2012 @ 3:48 PM

Sony (which owns half of Y&R and even more of a percentage of DOOL, I believe) and P&G are the companies who negotiated the deals. B&B is still wholly owned by Bell Serial, I believe, which leads me to believe Sony wanted to do the deal and not Bell Serial (since no one ever mentioned B&B reruns as an option on SoapNet. I wish P&G had been able/willing to sell the rights to more of their voluminous library (esp. Edge of Night, which I also loved).

As for GH changing their name, it was even more obvious when Port Charles, the GH spin-off, first premiered. PC was almost entirely set in the hospital, while GH was almost entirely out of it. If the two shows had been able to change names, it would have been perfect.

Edited by daniel82, Apr 17, 2012 @ 3:50 PM.

snaggle

snaggle

Fanatic

Posted Apr 19, 2012 @ 5:49 PM

We just got a letter from our local cable company yesterday & in our area they are going to carry both SoapNet & Disney Junior. So i'm excited.