Get Out of My Head: Dreams Inspired by TV

• Please log in to reply

120 replies to this topic

pjamma

pjamma

Stalker

Posted Apr 18, 2008 @ 10:45 AM

I am guilty of falling asleep in front of the TV and having the themes/plots/characters creep into my dreams. Sometimes it's funny, sometimes it really creepy, but I imagine I'm not the only person this happens to. So I wanted to start a thread (if its okay with TWoP) to talk about these crazy, TV inspired entries into the sub-conscience.

For example last night I rewatched my DVR'd "Meeting David Wilson" originally broadcast on MSNBC. Then I watched Smallville. I ended up dreaming that I was researching my family tree and Chloe injected herself into the process by hacking into some computer finding that I was a decendent of a great African power who may or may not have been alien. It was a bizarre journey but interesting non the less.

AimingforYoko

AimingforYoko

Stalker

Posted Apr 18, 2008 @ 11:01 AM

All I have to say about this thread is, try to keep it clean, folks. We already have a scarred for life thread.

Bruinsfan

Bruinsfan

Stalker

Posted Apr 18, 2008 @ 4:12 PM

I had one a few weeks back that mixed characters from Stargate: Atlantis with a story about a Lovecraft-inspired creepy old man who kept some horror in the basement of his farmhouse on the outskirts of a college town and fed it on a diet of sorority girls and fratboys.

Gee thanks, subconscious, you finally feature a character played by Kavan Smith in a dream, and it's R-rated due to slimy monsters killing people rather than adult situations...

TudorQueen

TudorQueen

Stalker

Posted Apr 18, 2008 @ 6:31 PM

I dream about tv shows and characters a lot. I have intricate dreams about my favorite shows in which I work out plot speculations or insert myself and my own dramas into theirs. I interact with characters or become them, or alternate between the two. Sometimes I 'produce' crossover shows mixing various series and characters. But what's really strange is I sometimes have detailed dreams involving shows I've never watched. Does that happen to anyone else?

JakeyIsSusan

JakeyIsSusan

Fanatic

Posted Apr 18, 2008 @ 9:04 PM

I had a dream last night that I was a Top 7 finalist on American Idol -- I should have known I was dreaming because anyone who has heard me sing knows I'm completely tone-deaf. Yet in the dream I also knew that I didn't have a snowball's chance of winning it, but was aiming for a Top 5 finish. I was like a Carly.

I once dreamed WWE Diva Trish Stratus planned to attend my 17th birthday party; we were at the school blacktop and she told me, "I'll be sure to be there, Jakey. One hundred percent Stratusfaction guaranteed." It was one of those very sad dreams where you don't realize until 1:00 the next afternoon that it was only a dream ... the party was still okay, though. Still, it was almost as sad as the night after seeing Step Up when I dreamed Tyler Gage was my new co-worker at Walgreens.

Edited by JakeyIsSusan, Apr 18, 2008 @ 9:05 PM.

Eegah

Eegah

Stalker

Posted Apr 18, 2008 @ 10:58 PM

I've had a few where I was on The Amazing Race with Miss Alli. Needless to say, I try to have that one as often as possible.

The night before BSG returned, I dreamed that I was watching the whole last season in a row, in which Callie was the last Cylon. Hey, it's still a possibility!

But what's really strange is I sometimes have detailed dreams involving shows I've never watched. Does that happen to anyone else?

I had dreams about Alias long before I Netflixed the show. Sidney Bristow is such a cultural icon it's not that hard to just insert her into any situation.

varcinie

varcinie

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 19, 2008 @ 1:05 AM

I just (as in, last night) had a TV inspired dream, and find the sudden appearance of this thread a little...strange. Perhaps I'm still dreaming?

Anyway: I have just finished watching Firefly, after much pressure from many quarters, and enjoyed it quite a bit. But last night, it took on kind of a weird dimension, in that I found myself, in my kitchen, with Shepherd Book.

Who was cooking tacos de chicharon, for some strange reason. And...they were rather good. But what an odd, odd dream it was. If only because I usually don't remember my dreams, and I remember this one pretty vividly.

Tabbyclaw

Tabbyclaw

Fanatic

Posted Apr 19, 2008 @ 5:55 AM

I've had dreams involving every show whose fandom I'm currently involved with except for Kim Possible and Psych. Matt and Sylar have gotten cameos. Lost had a crossover with Angel. I dreamt an entire episode of Bones that involved Angela faking a bunch of murders (including Zack's; he was not informed beforehand and was quite put out when Booth eventually found him in the trunk of Angela's car) in order to lure out an evil supernatural entity she was destined to battle. I had a dream about an episode of Eureka that was awful, and in the dream I was annoyed that the unfolding events were violating the established canon. But the most bizarre one is probably the time I dreamed that I was sitting with someone else who was watching television, and they flipped to an episode of The Last Detective. It involved a series of kidnappings at the boarding school that one character's daughter attended (said character has no children in the show), and I was very engrossed in the plot but missed a chunk in the middle because I was also knitting in the dream and got distracted by an error in the pattern.

mmcdonald64

mmcdonald64

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 19, 2008 @ 9:29 AM

For a little while, I started to believe I was psychic. I'd watch the news and they'd say something like, "A truck driver was killed last night in an accident on the Edens." or, "The Third National bank was robbed..." and I'd be like, "No way! I dreamt that last night!".

Then I realized that my husband had the tv programmed to turn on at 6am, and then to turn off when he went to work around 7am. I'd still be sleeping because I worked the pm shift, and I'd incorporate all the morning news into my dreams.

ember mecca

ember mecca

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 19, 2008 @ 11:33 AM

Arrested Development is one of my desert island favorite television shows. I got seasons 1 and 2 on DVD at the same time, so I was able to watch it over and over.

And then Ron Howard started narrating my dreams.

It was a little weird, so I backed off the obsessive AD watching.

Missiechan

Missiechan

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 19, 2008 @ 3:20 PM

I had a really odd one. It counts because I've seen the Alien movies so many times on TV (I hope!) although this one came after I saw the really awful Aliens vs Predator: Requiem in the cinema.

So in the dream the xenomorphs have completely invaded Earth and killed just about everybody, and there's about five of them in my sitting room, eating my housemates. I'm upstairs in my room packing for some sort of evacuation. I'm packing my laptop, my hair straightener, my PSP, my heat defense spray (!) and a whole bunch of other crap I don't need. Finally I put on my headphones and was about to turn on my mp3 player (with no thought as to how I'll be getting past the aliens swarming in my sitting room, especially with music drowning out the sounds of them creeping up on me) when I realized I didn't have the charger for it. I had a look for it, still couldn't find it, so I took a gun out from under my pillow and shot myself in the head.

I have to ask, if I had a gun under my pillow, why wouldn't I have brought it with me to kill the aliens on the way? Dream me is stoopid.

Split Ends

Split Ends

Stalker

Posted Apr 19, 2008 @ 3:53 PM

Missiechan, I've never laughed at the thought of someone's suicide before. Dream You is funny in a way that makes me feel like a bad person.

Anakerie

Anakerie

Fanatic

Posted Apr 19, 2008 @ 5:44 PM

A few years ago, I had a Lost-related dream in which Sawyer suddenly displayed a talent for making soup. All of the different Lostaways had a different soup request (I remember that Sun kept hammering him for boulebase). Sawyer got fed up with them and took off on his own, and the Lostaways were trying to track him down to make soup for them. I have no idea where this came from, but it may be the funniest dream I've ever had my life.

Bruinsfan

Bruinsfan

Stalker

Posted Apr 21, 2008 @ 1:57 PM

I had a Supernatural themed dream last night, with myself as a bystander at some bookstore event where the Winchesters were investigating a case. (I recall leafing through a coffee table book with photos of Thomas Jane doing yoga, which could have led the dream in an entirely different direction...) I don't clearly remember the transitions, but I was in a group of people at someone's house that were gathered around a television set and ended up getting treated to a surprise viewing of a cursed videotape like from The Ring. I was just conscious enough of the show's tropes on a meta level to realize my only chance of getting out of that situation alive was buddying up to Sam & Dean and hoping I was the last victim. You know, the one that would live long enough for them to stop whatever was behind it before I became monster chow.

werewoman

werewoman

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 21, 2008 @ 4:49 PM

You were probably okay if you weren't wearing a red shirt in your dream, Bruinsfan.

If only I could induce a Supernatural/Winchester boys dream...<sigh>

Topic: Well, I have been having my regular (boring) dreams, but the soundtracks to TV shows are in the background, if that counts. The characters have yet to make appearances, though.

RoxieVelma

RoxieVelma

Fanatic

Posted Apr 21, 2008 @ 9:58 PM

Back when the Iraq War first started and MSNBC had the Bloom Mobile (R.I.P. David Bloom *sniffle*), I had this strange dream that Tom Brokaw and I were riding in the vehicle and he was just about to tell me this secret about Brian Williams when I was awakened by an earthquake. Apparently, God didn't want me to know something about Brian because I never got that dream back.

All I have to say about this thread is, try to keep it clean, folks. We already have a scarred for life thread.

Which is why no one will ever read about my elevator ride with Hugh Laurie, Dominic West and Lance Reddick. ;) Although, it was the best dream ever.

GeoBQn

GeoBQn

Fanatic

Posted Apr 21, 2008 @ 11:06 PM

I regularly dream about watching Simpsons episodes that don't exist (yet.) I wish I could remember them so I could write them down--they can't possibly be worse than the episodes on now!

espie

espie

Fanatic

Posted Apr 28, 2008 @ 10:56 AM

I once dreamed that I was a Hannah Montana fan, which is very strange because I only saw one episode of the show, over a year ago, and I pay this girl zero attention. I was going to one of her concerts wearing a black and white velvet dress that was way, WAY too short, and I was really happy with how I looked. I'm about 35 years over the demographic, folks... this was not a pretty sight.

tresgeek

tresgeek

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 28, 2008 @ 4:13 PM

Right before the Season 2 premiere of Veronica Mars, I remember having a dream that I was at a party that was simultaneously the party from "A Trip to the Dentist" and a party in the "real world" for the premiere. As in Kristen Bell and Veronica were both there as separate people and for some reason it was my job to explain to Kristen who Veronica was and what was going on (even though you'd think that it would have been the other way around). I woke up feeling very frustrated, and also that my VM obsession had perhaps gotten a little out of control.

Luther Heggs

Luther Heggs

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 29, 2008 @ 11:07 AM

A few years ago, I had a Lost-related dream in which Sawyer suddenly displayed a talent for making soup. All of the different Lostaways had a different soup request (I remember that Sun kept hammering him for boulebase). Sawyer got fed up with them and took off on his own, and the Lostaways were trying to track him down to make soup for them. I have no idea where this came from, but it may be the funniest dream I've ever had my life.

Did people have to order the soup from him in a very specific manner, and be extremely careful not to offend him in any way when ordering said soup?

wordnerd

wordnerd

Fanatic

Posted Apr 29, 2008 @ 3:42 PM

Last night I dreamed I was on an aircraft carrier, thanks to watching "Carrier" on PBS. Oddly enough, I was surrounded by only the most handsome pilots and Marines. God Bless America, indeed. ;o)

ElleEstTrois

ElleEstTrois

Fanatic

Posted May 4, 2008 @ 2:28 AM

I've had three dreams about Smallville's (excuse me, ex-Smallville's) Michael Rosenbaum. In one, he got me high. Go figure.

My latest, though, was with Hogan from Hogan's Heroes. He led me to a building which served as a hideout. There were many German govt costumes stored there. He asked me about a nurse's outfit. Then, the building was bombed and we had to leave the costumes and get out as quickly as possible.

Strange.

TudorQueen

TudorQueen

Stalker

Posted May 4, 2008 @ 1:15 PM

I've been dreaming about everything lately - a "Grey's Anatomy" in which a new intern - not me, an unidentifiable character - ragged on everyone for their treatment of Mark Sloan, a "Lost" that I don't remember much about, and most recently a "Tudors" where I attended a party thrown by Anne Boleyn, and I was wearing blue silk pajamas.

HelloooKitty

HelloooKitty

Couch Potato

Posted May 4, 2008 @ 2:05 PM

So, last night I had a dream that hubby and I were at DisneyWorld. We got there right as the gates opened and I said, "we should go ride the really popular rides first, while they aren't so crowded." So we went over to Space Mountain and who do we see? The American Idol contestants. Unlike the REAL Space Mountain ride, this one had these little pod things that 2 people lay down in side by side and they closed up and there was a window panel over your face so you could see out and see all the meteors and stuff flying around. Hubby got in a pod with Carly Smithson and I got in one with Jason Castro. Jason started kind of hyperventalating and seemed upset and I kept asking him, "Are you going to throw up? Cause if your going to throw up you need to tell me so you can get out. If you throw up in here it will not be good! Are you sure you aren't going to throw up? Maybe you should just close your eyes until the ride is over so you won't throw up." I don't know if he threw up or not b/c the dream ended.

Mussel Bound

Mussel Bound

Couch Potato

Posted May 4, 2008 @ 7:35 PM

When I was a kid (back in the 70s) I used to dream I was in the Brady Bunch family. Not on the show - in the family, as if it was real life. Somehow, I'd joined their family, and was so relieved, 'cause my father was such an abusive asshole. Oddly enough, we were always sitting on a bus (all crowded up in the front right corner, with all the other seats empty), not sure where we were going, I was too happy to have escaped my old life to really care about the details.

Benedictine

Benedictine

Couch Potato

Posted May 4, 2008 @ 8:53 PM

Now this is an interesting topic! I have always been fascinated by dreams and what goes into them.

I can think of three times I have had TV-influenced dreams. In one, I was a 'redshirt' on the original Star Trek, yet was the only one who never got wasted!

Second, I once dreamt that I was a friend of Jerry Seinfeld in the show. I wasn't one of the characters, just "me." This is an odd one, since I wasn't much of a fan of the show.

And finally, just around the time of that Pope Benedict was elected pope (I was watching a lot of television coverage of it), I dreamt that I was elected the pope! Then as I was greeting the huge cheering crowd in St. Peter's Square, I was trying to figure out how I was going to explain this one to my wife (I am a deacon, but pope?).

Edited by Benedictine, May 4, 2008 @ 8:56 PM.

HighMaintenance

HighMaintenance

Couch Potato

Posted May 6, 2008 @ 9:37 AM

I have an occasional dream that I am good friends with Carol Burnett. We pal around and star in plays together and have a good ol' time. Upon awaking, I find these dreams odd because although I like CB, I'm not a HUGE fan or anything. I don't ever watch the reruns of her old variety series. I just find it odd that out of all of the celebrities that I enjoy and have become fans of, I never dream about them - just my buddy Carol.

I did have a very enjoyable dream about Scott Bakula, ala Quantum Leap... but that is not appropriate for this board. He!

Glory

Glory

Fanatic

Posted May 6, 2008 @ 11:13 AM

I did have a very enjoyable dream about Scott Bakula, ala Quantum Leap... but that is not appropriate for this board. He!

Although, if you did decide to be inappropriate, I really wouldn't mind hearing about this dream. ;)

MaggieElizabeth

MaggieElizabeth

Fanatic

Posted May 6, 2008 @ 12:41 PM

I dreamed once that the entire cast of the WB's Seventh Heaven died in a plane crash. I even saw their gravestones. I am not kidding.

Darn, was I disappointed when I woke up.

gracie18

gracie18

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 6, 2008 @ 2:56 PM

So, I'm sitting there, flipping through the channels, when I come upon this made-for-tv movie. It looks....interesting....so I decide to watch some of it.

There are several people standing around in a big room with lots of equipment. I guess they're all suppose to be scientists of some sorts, and also some politicians. I say politicians because there's men in suits who look seedy. Anyways, apparently, someone has let loose a virus that has killed off a lot of people. The scientist have come up with a way to stop it, which is to blow up the source (IOW, someone's house.) Now, one politician-the really seedy looking one-has a grudge against one of the scientist, who isn't there, and he says that it's this guy who is spreading the virus. So they point the "demolition" machine" to that guys house, and press the button. Oh, I should probably mention that there's a 12-year-old kid there too. No idea why, but he is. Anyways, seedy guy presses the button, but another scientist comes over, and jams up the machine. Now, the machine still works, but the lasers, or whatever they are, have to go somewhere. So they bounce all over the room, hitting everyone in sight. Smoke fills the room, and when it clears, we see a closeup of two people in the doorway, holding onto the 12-year-old, asking him if he's okay. When he doesn't answer, they look down at him, and realize that they just have his head. Pan back to the whole room, and all you see are body parts strewn around.

Okay, as creepy as that was, the first thing I thought in my dream, after the "movie" was over, was "OMG, I have to write about this on TWoP!"