Can You Duet?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

124 replies to this topic

CountryGal

CountryGal

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 14, 2008 @ 10:45 PM

I didn't see a thread for this show so I thought I would start one.

I actually enjoyed it although the guy judge's hair annoyed the hell out of me. It was covering about half of his face. And did anyone catch exactly how they are working with all these single people they put through? Are they putting them in duets in workshop week or something?

dramawitch

dramawitch

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 15, 2008 @ 6:26 AM

My guess is they'll be paired up during workshop week. The brothers who were singing Pretty Woman freaked me out. They looked like stalkers or something. It would be really hard to be split from your duet partner, but, if it were me, I would try it out and see what happens. I would hope my "best" friend would be happy for me and encourage me to do well.

nola99

nola99

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 15, 2008 @ 9:00 AM

I really liked this show!! I thought the brothers that sang pretty woman was fun, nerdy & good singers. I thought that the friend (Deanna?) that didn't get picked was selfish when she just stood there staring at her friend, and I think she lies, lies, lies when she said she wouldn't have said yes!!

My favorite was the husband & wife that brought the sticky buns... they looked great together & singing together?? FANTASTIC!!

SomeHearts

SomeHearts

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 15, 2008 @ 4:20 PM

The "will she or won't she go?" bit made me dislike Naomi. They (mainly she) were hounding that girl for an answer and when she said no, Naomi made it sound like "Why on earth would you give this up just for a friend?" and then when the chick changed her mind and said yes, Naomi says that she agreed with her original answer.

What the heck?

Hildegard802

Hildegard802

Fanatic

Posted Apr 21, 2008 @ 8:34 PM

Did the producers say, "Hmmm, who are the three creepiest people we can get for judges?" That Aimee person. That VOICE. Is she three years old?

I've just started watching repeats. It remains to be seen how long I can hang in there.

limecoke

limecoke

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 26, 2008 @ 6:03 PM

I did enjoy some of the deluded people, especially the guy who wrote the creepy song about his ex-wife. And the woman who thought her voice most resembled Karen Carpenter? Pure gold.

The judge with the hair drives me nuts. I can barely stand to watch him because I want to push it out of his eyes. Why that 'do? I don't get it. I sort of enjoy Aimee's voice. It's...unusual. She does have chops as a songwriter.

The really funny part about this show is that the winning pair have squat to zero chance of becoming the "next big duo in country music". They'll fade into obscurity even faster than the winners of Nashville Star did.

Edited by limecoke, Apr 26, 2008 @ 6:05 PM.

turtle73

turtle73

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 26, 2008 @ 6:40 PM

I don't understand the point of matching up people they split from orginial duos and then saying to the newly put together duos "umm no you aren't working for me". What did they expect automatic chemistry with someone who don't know, aren't sure of their musical strengths or weakness, or sound? That was a stupid move.

And does Naomi look like a maniacal doll from some horror movie or what?

borderottie

borderottie

Fanatic

Posted Apr 26, 2008 @ 8:40 PM

Brett Manning is the guy judge. According to his bio he sounds like he knows what he's looking for but the obnoxious hair is just too distracting and ... well, silly.

Aimee Mayo's bio is pretty impressive but she loses points for "Amazed". Just no.

Naomi really likes herself. Sheeeessshhh....

Cherry Wire

Cherry Wire

Fanatic

Posted Apr 27, 2008 @ 4:38 PM

I only caught some of the auditions, but did anyone notice the Coppola twins? (the ones who auditioned with "Flat on the Floor")

I thought that was about as good an audition as you can get...good harmonies, good use of instruments, good energy, likable girls, cute without being hoochie. It's not much of a prize, but I hope they win it.

Huggles

Huggles

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 28, 2008 @ 2:29 AM

I like this show, but I thought some of the judges were being mean to people they knew they'd eliminate.

Also, if I ever see Brett he should be scared, because I will so cut off all that hair in front of his face

dramawitch

dramawitch

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 29, 2008 @ 5:58 AM

I'm enjoying the show but Naomi seriously bugs me. She is not cute with her quips and she seems pretty bitchy. I like Amy, her voice is a bit heavy, but she seems genuine. I could not believe the duo who showed up to meet with Amy and were rockpaperscissoring. That was ridiculous but they are cute and awesome.

Thanks for the info turtle73. She seemed heinous and now I know she is.

Edited by dramawitch, Apr 29, 2008 @ 6:17 PM.

turtle73

turtle73

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 29, 2008 @ 7:08 AM

Naomi Judd is bitchy dramawitch. She was also a judge on Star Search when Arsenio Hall was the host and a friend of ours made it to the finals in the dancer category. She constantly referred to him as a dancing monkey, a street hood, etc (he's African-American). I am a fan of both daughters, but cannot stand her and after seeing her on SS I really disliked her. She was often mean and condescending on that show with other contestants as well. When my friend came home I mentioned how she acted and he made a face and said after one of his performances, and about the third time she made the monkey comment they went to commercial break and Arsenio laid into her. He said she was not a nice person at all and half the time had no idea what she was even talking about.

I always viewed her as riding her talented daughter's coattails to get her own fame. When you hear how she treated Wynonna on the road, etc it just leaves a bad taste in your mouth. She also lied a lot about her "poor" upbringing. She claimed to have just been this dirt poor mama in rural Kentucky living like someone out of the depression, when she was in fact already pursuing a career in entertainment and can be seen in the biopic of Hank Williams Jr.'s life which was made in the late 70's very early 80's. She's just full of herself and full of crap.

TiVangelist

TiVangelist

Channel Surfer

Posted May 4, 2008 @ 10:35 AM

Not too many people watching this, huh?
It's a pity because some of these duos sound great! I'm pleasantly surprised and looking forward to the rest of the competition. However, it doesn't take a rocket scientist (or, I guess, a musicologist) to figure out that a duo who have been singing together for years are going to have the edge over a duo who were given a bus-ride to get to know one another. They haven't advanced many of those ad hoc duos created on-site, and it's clear why. Wonder why they bothered having the option of splitting pairs up and advancing people individually? It just makes no sense.

Huggles

Huggles

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 4, 2008 @ 8:04 PM

Not too many people watching this, huh?
It's a pity because some of these duos sound great! I'm pleasantly surprised and looking forward to the rest of the competition. However, it doesn't take a rocket scientist (or, I guess, a musicologist) to figure out that a duo who have been singing together for years are going to have the edge over a duo who were given a bus-ride to get to know one another. They haven't advanced many of those ad hoc duos created on-site, and it's clear why. Wonder why they bothered having the option of splitting pairs up and advancing people individually? It just makes no sense.

Oh, I agree. To me, it should have been the entire duo advances or they don't. I think breaking apart duos is something that seems like a great idea in theory, but in reality, it's very hard to make it work out.

turtle73

turtle73

Couch Potato

Posted May 4, 2008 @ 9:42 PM

I didn't like the breaking apart duos and then being disappointed when the thrown together duos don't do well. I think there have only been two that worked out well (the guy who had the cousin who didn't go through and the tan leather jacket duo).

I really enjoy the show but Naomi Judd ruins anything good for me. I'd rather see Marie Osmond as a judge or one of the Brooks and Dunn guys, or Sugarland, or anybody who was in a duo but not her. I'd rather see Wynonna because it's not like she's doing a lot right now except laying low due to her pedophile ex husband.

TiVangelist

TiVangelist

Channel Surfer

Posted May 5, 2008 @ 6:13 AM

Wynonna was horrid as the host of Nashville Star. Had a very hard time having it not be about her. Ergo, it was always about her.

Marie Osmond, on the other hand, was constructive and articulate judging Celebrity Duets and would have been a fine choice.

I'd have been happy if they threw in Vitamin C as well, although she has no connection to singing duets or to country music, just because I think she does a great job behind the judges' table.

turtle73

turtle73

Couch Potato

Posted May 5, 2008 @ 7:16 AM

I remember that! Wy probably wouldn't have been that good but if it had to be a Judd I'd rather it be her. Naomi Judd is just too phony.

Deianeira

Deianeira

Couch Potato

Posted May 5, 2008 @ 9:20 AM

Wonder why they bothered having the option of splitting pairs up and advancing people individually? It just makes no sense.

Oh, I agree. To me, it should have been the entire duo advances or they don't. I think breaking apart duos is something that seems like a great idea in theory, but in reality, it's very hard to make it work out.

I agree, and I also think that they shouldn’t have accepted singles in the first place. They should have only accepted duos. I don’t understand why they thought that pairing up two complete strangers would work.

So far I’m rooting for the sisters who made Naomi cry when they sang her song – the Herndons, I think.

turtle73

turtle73

Couch Potato

Posted May 5, 2008 @ 9:42 AM

I liked the Herndons too but I really like the girl/guy duo (cannot remember their names) where they told the guy to sing more and they did the song together on the last show. They sound very "old school" country like George and Tammy and not so much Faith and Tim (though I love Faith and Tim).

CountryGal

CountryGal

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 5, 2008 @ 5:02 PM

I really like the Herndons too. I'm surprised to find myself liking the all girl duos best since I tend to enjoy male country singers more. I'm still hoping one of the all guys duos can step it up so I can like them for more than their looks :)

dirksunboy

dirksunboy

Couch Potato

Posted May 5, 2008 @ 6:58 PM

I really like the girl/guy duo (cannot remember their names) where they told the guy to sing more and they did the song together on the last show. They sound very "old school" country like George and Tammy

They are my favorites, too. I think his name is Rory and she has a 'boy' name like Joey or something. They remind me of the Porter Waggoner/Dolly Parton stuff my dad listened to when I was a kid.

dramawitch

dramawitch

Couch Potato

Posted May 6, 2008 @ 5:54 AM

I totally thought the married couple was George/Tammy. I like the Coppolas too. I'm not so sure about most of the others but I was surprised that the tan coat duo that was forced together seemed to have some good chemistry. But the dark haired one needs to stop visiting the tanning bed.

mic813

mic813

Channel Surfer

Posted May 6, 2008 @ 8:58 AM

Finally I know someone on a reality show! My good friend plays guitar in Caitlin's band 81 South and I have seen them play out a few times. I think she survived the latest round of cuts but her partner got sent home. My friend, who is completely clueless to how reality tv works, seems to think she makes it very far. Hmm, just checked their myspace page and they have a gig this Friday night. That doesn't sound very promising. However in the comment section she does mention the band has split (she auditioned with her bandmate) and that Caitlin has since moved to Nashville.

Edited by mic813, May 6, 2008 @ 8:59 AM.

Occasional Hope

Occasional Hope

Fanatic

Posted May 6, 2008 @ 4:12 PM

I can only see this via the CMT website, so I'm an episode behind the rest of you, but I'm definitely enjoying it so far, and like uite a few duos. mic813's friend Caitlin has a very strong voice, and I liked Jared too. But I think they might both be more solo singers rather than duo members.

I like the voice/tone of the lead singer of the Lexington Brothers, but I'm not sure they're taking it seriously. I think they'd be fun live, though. Wild Honey sound more folk-pop than country to me.

I officially hate Brownell and Richey, who sould rename themeselves Their Own Biggest Fans. They couldn't be more irritating if they tried.

If they put through 50 people to Workshop Week, didn't Jana's walkout mean someone would have been left without a partner? Does that get addressed in the second workshop episode? I was wondering if they'd been planning on teaming her wth Jared, which explains the totally random pairing with Will "I'm really a rock singer", as a last resort.

think his name is Rory and she has a 'boy' name like Joey or something

Rory Feek and Joey Martin. I like them too, but they might be classified as "ringers" because Rory's a pretty successful songwriter (he's usually credited as Rory Lee Feek). He produced a solo album for Joey a couple of years ago.

I like the fact they're showing a little bit on all the workshoppers, unlike the AI Hollywood episode(s).

TiVangelist

TiVangelist

Channel Surfer

Posted May 10, 2008 @ 11:20 AM

Oh, I am not happy at all with the final eight.

I think the producers had decided a priori that they would be advancing as many newly-paired duos as established duos, or there is no way they would have wound up with the eight they picked. I can't believe they cut the Herndons and the Lexingtons, and kept those guys who sang Bye, Bye Love. Those guys have had ONE good performance together, and the Herndons have had one boring-but-not-actually-bad performance.

And I think that one group that went through--was it Brownell and Richey?--had a not-so-great performance and they overlooked that.

They must have had some quota of guy pairs, girl pairs, mixed pairs, established pairs, new pairs and they were working it out like a puzzle, not just picking the top 8.

I also didn't understand Naomi claiming she'd tried to turn down the gig, saying her name was Judd, not judge. Was she not a judge on Star Search? I was sure I'd read she had been.

HighQueenEB

HighQueenEB

Couch Potato

Posted May 10, 2008 @ 11:43 AM

Yeah, I was scratching my head at some of the duos they advanced. I thought for sure the Herndon twins would be in and one of those guy duos - either Brownell & Richie (who sucked and not just last night) or the newly-paired male duo (can't remember their names but they didn't even match in look or sound at all) - would have been cut. I was pretty surprised to see BOTH of those guy duos advance, especially because the judges had been pretty good up to this point of selecting the best from each workshop group.

As far as the judges go - I hate Brett Manning's hair and, like everyone else here, want to take some scissors to those bangs RIGHT. NOW. However, I do think he knows his music and I loved how he conducted his workshops. Aimee Mayo's voice, as everyone else has noted, grates, however, being one of the weird freaks in the world who reads liner notes and owns a lot of Tim and Faith, I recognized her name as a very well-established and talented songwriter, so I've got no beef with her really. I never watch StarSearch so I had no idea that Naomi Judd was so mean and bitchy. She wasn't adding much to the show for me until last night when she did her workshop day. I did enjoy how she interacted with the remaining duos one-on-one. But, she doesn't seem all that great with her transitions and either she or the producers are trying way too hard to make her seem witty with those "cute" ways of telling the duos they're being put through to the next round. Seriously - the fortune cookie? The green light? Just no. That's all.

As far as the duos go, I need to rewatch to be certain of names/pairings, especially the new ones. However I do really like Wild Honey. I don't mind Joey & Rory (or whatever they call themselves) musically but I'm so over the whole "we're so in lurrrrve" crap out of them. OTT anyone? I also like the tan-coat guy duo, they were definitely the best of the workshop-paired duos. I'm on the fence about the Coppolas. They're good, I'll give them that, and they did a pretty nice arrangement of "Bring on the Rain" which is one of my favorite JoDee Messina songs. But if I was going to go with a female duo, at this stage it would be Wild Honey. I'm looking forward to the next episode.

Edited by HighQueenEB, May 10, 2008 @ 11:44 AM.

borderottie

borderottie

Fanatic

Posted May 10, 2008 @ 3:40 PM

I also didn't understand Naomi claiming she'd tried to turn down the gig, saying her name was Judd, not judge. Was she not a judge on Star Search? I was sure I'd read she had been.

Wonder how long she's been holding on to that line waiting to use it?? (grrroooaannnn....)

Naomi has made a life and a career out of being "on" and melodramatic. She's one of those that seems like she's sweet and downhome to your face .... but watch yourself!
Wynonna has been more than honest about her mom being the source of her own miseries.
And they are keeping in mind that Naomi would have NEVER made it as a solo artist w/o Wy?
Just saying...

Edited by borderottie, May 10, 2008 @ 3:42 PM.

Black Catholic

Black Catholic

Fanatic

Posted May 10, 2008 @ 5:47 PM

I stumbled into this show. I know old country music (yeah, my father forced us to watch HeeHaw and we didn't have cable then) and a few of the newer ones (Dixie Chicks, Shania Twain, etc) because one of my best friends is a serious country/rock, alt-country fanatic, and I live very close (as in I don't need tickets to hear the concert) to a Country Jam USA site.

I really like this show. I hate Brett Manning's hair but he is incredible as a vocal coach and on-the-spot arranger. What he did for the Herndon twins on the "Love Can Build a Bridge" song was amazing. Pushing out the chins of the Coppolas(who I think should have been eliminated last night over the Herndons- the Coppolas seem to be cold and technical to me) did make them sound fuller. His advice is always helpful (can we send a video to Simon and Paula). I think the duos who workshopped with him had an advantage over the ones with the songwriter. Can we collectively hold him down and cut off the 90s version of that 80s Flock of Seagulls haircut?

I love the two "tan jacket" guys, but they need to step up. They can't just rest on the beauty of their voices (and their voices are gorgeous- gave me shivers, and I'm NOT usually a fan of this music- women will throw panties at them and everything). I'm rooting for them, the rock duo (male and female- he was split from his cousin), and a few others. I agree that about four of the groups should not be there. Two sets of pretty boys needed to go on mugging alone. I so wanted the Herndons to stay- I loved their sound and charisma.

I didn't watch Nashville Star. I didn't know Naomi Judd could be like that. I thought that she'd teach them more about stage presence. I thought she had been a nurse (isn't that how she contracted Hepatitis, which ended her duo career)? I didn't know anything about poverty.

I don't mind the splitting and the singles. A really good singer can blend with other good singers off the bat. I've had to blend with people who were basically tone deaf, and my director told me it was MY job to make them look good because I actually have training and a more powerful voice (just like Manning told the young teen put together duo). I never knew who I would sing with as a cantor, and I sometimes had never sang with them before. If you work out parts together, and you both like the song, your enthusiasm should show. I thought the real problem was some people clearly were not greatly pleased with their song choices. At least give them two days to get the stuff together. If you are "meh" the song, there's no charisma in the world that will cover that. I thought I saw some "meh" on compromise choices.

A great singer can generate excitement with anyone. I know a guy who just can make any group better. Singing with him was a pleasure because he listened, and adjusted his style as I adjusted to him. Rigid singers who can't adjust on the fly don't need to be there. So I would have dumped the guy with LB (I think of the interchangeable blonde hair model male duo) and and the two guys who did rock/paper/scissors (who also were not that good).

Why are so many duos singing ballads? Are country waltzes the country version of the pop "power ballad"? Those waltzes really were a disservice to some people.

Is it just me, or did they cut almost every traditional country duo (except for the married couple)? And I'm not getting Freebird as a country waltz. I hate that song, and this just made it more odious.

What IS the definition of country music today? I swear most of that was rock or indie rock with a twang (sometimes). Do you HAVE to twang?

Some of the auditions hurt my ears. Didn't anyone tell these people you HAVE to sing in tune? I don't watch AI at all for that very reason. Flat is whack.

Edited by Black Catholic, May 10, 2008 @ 5:52 PM.

Occasional Hope

Occasional Hope

Fanatic

Posted May 11, 2008 @ 8:06 AM

More or less caught up now, at least only the performances from top 12, but I know who was cut from boards.

I hate Brett Manning's hair

I did, too, but apparently it's because he's lost an eye to cancer and is sensitive about its apearance, so now I feel bad for mocking.

I think the duos who workshopped with him had an advantage over the ones with the songwriter.

But I noticed fewer of Brett's group got put through (five duos of the final 12, compared to seven from Aimee's group). I wondered if they'd picked the duos they thought needed more vocal work in that group? Though none of Brett's got repartnered, which may speak to his success making them gel as duos.

I was sorry they apparently cut the Lexington Brothers and Bosco and Whiteford, both of whom I rather enjoyed in the top 12 performances. I was meh on the Herndons (I wouldn't have cut them but I don't care much either). The Two Timers were right to go (completely forgettable). I would have got rid of Gabriel and LB, who were awful - talented individually but they just could not harmonise together; Chris and Nathan - nice voices but too Rascal Flattsy and not country enough for me; the Two Timers; and the Coppolas (pleasant but boring). And I was positively shocked in workshop week when Chris said there weren't as many male duos as mixed ones in country music. Does he actually listen to any? Just off the top of my head I think of Brooks & Dunn, Big & RIch, Montgomery Gentry, just among current successes, and loads more in country history. Mixed duos, apart from occasional duets between singers with separate solo careers, not so much. Also, in the workshop they were singing their love song to each other, which male duos should avoid, unless they actually intend it that way.

Joey and Rory gave my favourite performance - I really liked that melancholy vibe they brought to Freebird, but I feel they're really pushing Joey as a singer with Rory as her accompanist more than really being a true duo.

But overall, I do like this show, and only Gabriel and LB were really bad.

Edited by Occasional Hope, May 11, 2008 @ 8:09 AM.

HighQueenEB

HighQueenEB

Couch Potato

Posted May 11, 2008 @ 11:10 AM

And I was positively shocked in workshop week when Chris said there weren't as many male duos as mixed ones in country music. Does he actually listen to any? Just off the top of my head I think of Brooks & Dunn, Big & RIch, Montgomery Gentry, just among current successes, and loads more in country history. Mixed duos, apart from occasional duets between singers with separate solo careers, not so much.

Oh, no kidding. I was watching this on repeat the other night with my mom who came to visit for a few days and she and I both just glanced at each other like "whuh? did he just say..." Then, we spoke and agreed the guy was obviously not too familiar with country music today because I can think of a lot more male duos than I can either mixed or female duos with any sort of success. Heck, with the exception of the Judds, I'm having a hard time thinking of any female duos that have had anything but fleeting success and I've been listening to country music for 30+ years, and the same goes for mixed duos (with the obvious exception in that category being Sugarland - and they actually started as a trio).

But overall, I do like this show, and only Gabriel and LB were really bad.

That's who I was thinking of! They were really quite awful. Now, I do agree, the Herndons were pretty blah but at least they sounded good together. I hate to get knolly on this show only a few episodes in but if they left out a group like the Herndons and kept in some obviously less-talented duos like Gabriel & LB and the Coppolas, then they must already have their front-runners in mind. And don't think for one second that we shouldn't be knolly on this show - weren't they advertising it as "from the producers of American Idol"? in the previews?