Locked Up Abroad

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

268 replies to this topic

blubld43

blubld43

Fanatic

Posted Jun 29, 2012 @ 6:54 AM

With the episode on Latif, Uday's body double, they did add a blurb at the end, something like "Some dispute his account."

I believe all of this family had numerous "doubles", it's possible that he did act as a double at some point. Doesn't mean it was hi full time job or anything.

ferrisave

ferrisave

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 2, 2012 @ 3:11 PM

The thing that caught me off guard about the body double was towards the end of the story he seemed to be hanging out with Uday and speaking to him any ol kind of way. I don't believe that if he told Uday to leave that girl (the newlywed) alone Uday would've shot him. Also when he refused to kill the older guy, Uday would've shot him.

I was a great story but pretty unreal. He got away, went home and healed up, but then Uday calls him and he goes back? He slit his wrists, got shot, was beaten almost to death, and still escapes and becomes a successful businessman with no bounty on his head?? I don't believe it.

Also had no sympathy for the cancer lady. First of all, who has biker friends from Austria?? And she had no idea they were drug dealers?? GTFOH.....i call bullshit on that one. She knew exactly what she was getting into. I'm sorry about her cancer but she knew what she was getting into.

Edited by ferrisave, Jul 4, 2012 @ 9:16 AM.

AngelaHunter44

AngelaHunter44

Fanatic

Posted Jul 3, 2012 @ 11:24 PM

With the episode on Latif, Uday's body double

I was watching this tonight and found it way too "action movie" to hold my attention. He gets severely beaten with an iron pipe and has horrendous tortures inflicted on him for 3 weeks, but has amazing powers of recovery it seems.

The lap dance instructor? She must be the diva of all lap (or pole) dancers that someone would pay to send her and her man on an all-expense paid trip with luxury accomodations to have her teach her art to others. And if they were so terrified of getting caught and shocked at smuggling drugs, why didn't they just leave the drugs in St. Lucia?
Either they (or she, anyway) knew about the drugs, or they were idiots. All her claims of "I didn't fink nuffink of it" no matter how ominous things became just didn't ring true.

nc socialworker

nc socialworker

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 7, 2012 @ 2:35 PM

The thing that caught me off guard about the body double was towards the end of the story he seemed to be hanging out with Uday and speaking to him any ol kind of way. I don't believe that if he told Uday to leave that girl (the newlywed) alone Uday would've shot him. Also when he refused to kill the older guy, Uday would've shot him.

And what is the point of having a body double if your hanging with him. Doesn't that defeat the purpose? Also if he wanted to kill himself , when asked to kill the father, why didn't he just take the gun and shoot himself? This serious is my favorite thing on tv but ever since the From Hollywood to hell episode I've been questioning the voracity of each episode. Damn you where's my car guy!

ilovecomputers

ilovecomputers

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 10, 2012 @ 2:03 PM

The guy arrested for smuggling "tacos" out of Nicaragua was just another selfish, foolish twit. I can understand being unemployed; I've been unemployed. I did not contemplate selling or smuggling drugs. If this guy looked for a job at all, they didn't say. It looked like his girlfriend kicked him out and a week later he was asked to make a trip and bring back drugs. What could possibly go wrong? He's lucky he was released after 3 years. His demeanor and slow thought process seem to indicate he's still using something. One last vent on this episode: He complained that they spoke Spanish. Where did he think he was going? London? It's always nice to know how to say a few phrases in the host country, if only to find a police station, a hospital or the American embassy for an emergency.

cjames

cjames

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 12, 2012 @ 4:18 PM

Going back in time ... here in Canada we're seeing the episodes a bit later than the rest of you so I just saw "The Cocaine Trap" with Stephen Sutton in Australia. According to what he said in the show, he lost his job due to a back injury and was looking for a job in Australia when he was approached by this guy who was going to pay him $15K to bring gold back from Argentina. Our protagonist later found out, after not being paid for his work and having to do it again, that he was moving cocaine (not that gold would have been any better, really).

I looked up this story online and according to family members, he met a woman from Peru at work and moved to Peru to be with her. Later, while living in Peru, he agreed to take gold to another country and he never knew that he was smuggling cocaine. Also, he ended up with TB in prison and nearly died. And he's a simple, caring person.

I expect some differences between the story told on Locked Up Abroad and the "real" story because LUB is giving us a dramatic story but these are significant differences. It annoys me when I can't figure out what really happened and I wonder if the family had no clue about what he was doing or if he outright lied during the show. But if he was as simple as the family claimed he was, would/could he have made up such a big lie?

EndoKE

EndoKE

Fanatic

Posted Jul 14, 2012 @ 7:28 AM

Maybe they couldn't mention the woman he met in Peru for legal reasons? Maybe the story the family told wasn't true.

damalanop

damalanop

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 17, 2012 @ 4:53 PM

Last night's episode featuring the Hasidic (former?) Jew who trafficked drugs from Brazil was one of the most interesting I've seen in a while. Most surprising was that he went back to the illegal activity after he served a couple of years in one of the worst prisons in the world!

Edited by damalanop, Jul 17, 2012 @ 4:54 PM.

ilovecomputers

ilovecomputers

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 18, 2012 @ 9:44 AM

The only redeeming part of the Hasidic Jew drug dealer's story was that in the second prison he finally saw a connection with his drug dealing and the death of a drug addict. It really isn't a victimless crime; I wish more drug dealers would see the havoc they create.

bayridgegirl

bayridgegirl

Just Tuned In

Posted Jul 18, 2012 @ 11:13 AM

I call bullshit that at first the Hasidic King of Cocaine had no idea what cocaine was, or that selling it and taking it in and out the country was illegal. This was the 1990s when crack cocaine was all over the news. Hasidic Jews do read newspapers, don't they?

ferrisave

ferrisave

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 18, 2012 @ 5:28 PM

Bay Ridge

I believed him and I'm surprised you don't since you have a connection to Brooklyn. The Hasidics are one of the most insular people in the country. I bet they don't read the papers or watch much tv. They seem to pretty much just work and read the Torah (from what I've seen being raised in NYC). He just thought it was a huge money making scheme and jumped in.

I thought he story was really interesting. He was a really charismatic guy. Oh and yes the bosses wife was DEFINATELY testing him...lol.

damalanop

damalanop

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 18, 2012 @ 9:02 PM

I believed him and I'm surprised you don't since you have a connection to Brooklyn. The Hasidics are one of the most insular people in the country. I bet they don't read the papers or watch much tv.

ferrisave: I agree with you. Though it would be hard to believe coming from someone else, the fact that he was a Hasidic Jew made me believe him. I have seen other shows featuring Hasids and they do not watch any TV or read newspapers (according to those in the shows that I watched), so they are really not aware of the outside world.

ShaniquaVan

ShaniquaVan

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 20, 2012 @ 2:21 AM

The name of this show has always seemed like a sick double entendre.

"Locked up abroad!"
"Oh yeah? Did she put up much of a fight?"

I wonder what demographic they appeal to...

AngelaHunter44

AngelaHunter44

Fanatic

Posted Jul 23, 2012 @ 4:48 PM

Even if a person has no clue about anything in the world around him, having someone else ask him to transport something to another country should bring the question, "Why don't you take it yourself?"

The name of this show has always seemed like a sick double entendre.

Funny you should say that. I had a group of friends over and mentioned that one of the only programs I watch is "Locked up Abroad." The reaction was silence and confused stares, until I realized they indeed thought I meant "Locked up a Broad."

EndoKE

EndoKE

Fanatic

Posted Jul 28, 2012 @ 7:23 AM

This last one, what was the deal?

urlittledogtoo

urlittledogtoo

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 29, 2012 @ 10:36 AM

Human trafficking lady? Seemed a little unstable and flighty to me. On the one hand I understand the deep desire to have a child. On the other hand, I hate that entitled "I'll take one of those, to go" attitude that some well off people have about adopting children. Like they were going to the pet store and picking out a dog for their purse. It grates. But that aside, she just seems a little loopy to me.

Her entire story was so overwrought. And I'm sorry, but an overly emotional post-menopausal woman who picked up everything overnight to move to Egypt to marry a man she hadn't seen in seventeen years based on internet chatting is not going to make it on my short list of good adoptive parents. She saw a woman on a bus holding a baby and, at forty-six, said 'I want one of those.' That just annoys the crap outta me. She kept calling Marco 'my baby' and I kept thinking, 'Lady, he's not your baby, that's kind of the point.' I realize she got very attached very quickly but she was just so psycho about the telling of it that I got a very weird vibe off of her. Even at the end when she went up to see the babies and picked each one up, etc. I mean, who does that? They were in bed, they were strangers to her. Boundaries anyone? She was just really inappropriate all the time in this episode. I am frankly relieved she didn't get the kid back.

And Muslim countries don't really appreciate Christians coming over and taking their kids and adopting them out to devout Christian families and converting them to Christianity to 'save them' as some aid agencies have been caught doing. This offends them. And I think that is why they were so upset by this illegal adoption and the Trafficking Lady's religious fervor probably didn't work in her favor in their eyes.

I watched this show for a long time and it used to be more along the lines of the movie Brokedown Palace. You know, naive people duped into something they were unaware about, otherwise nice folks who made a wrong turn. Lately, and especially this season, I have gone into every episode completely ready to by sympathetic and within fifteen minutes really despising the person being profiled. Get caught smuggling multiple kilos of hard narcotics in a foreign country, a task you took on eagerly to earn some cash? A little remorse might be nice. Instead we get these people with this weird entitled outrage that a) they were caught, b) that prison conditions were just not up to their standards, and c) somehow they have the right to completely flout the laws and judicial system of the country whose laws they broke. At least two episodes have featured 'daring escapes' and I felt as though they thought we were supposed to be rooting for the bail jumper/escapee. There's this bizarre attitude as though they believe they are above the laws of the countries they are in and have some right to do what they want at will, and if they get caught it's game on. I mean, if they were facing execution for something more minor (or at all really, that would be a hard thing to face) I could sympathize. But can you imagine getting caught and convicted of smuggling 10 kilos of narcotics in the US? You wouldn't be serving five years and getting out after three that's for sure. But these folks act like they can't believe they are being jailed for any length of time at all and we should feel sorry for them. No remorse for the deed, only for their sad state after getting caught. I can't feel for them at all.

I wish they'd find more actually sympathetic people. I really like this show and it's failing me this season. I just leave it feeling like I want to punch the person in the throat.

Edited by urlittledogtoo, Jul 29, 2012 @ 6:25 PM.

ilovecomputers

ilovecomputers

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 31, 2012 @ 12:56 PM

Did anyone catch the episode last night about the "daring" prison break from Chile? "Daring" would be trying to escape when guards are shooting at you; "daring" is not hopping a fence in front of guards you've bribed for cooperation. They showed a scene where the out-of-shape escapee caught up with his two guides in the desert at a farmhouse where one of the guides' dead bodies lie at the base of a campfire. I don't know why, but I was struck with the idea that the drug dealer probably killed both of them out of desperation or something.

EndoKE

EndoKE

Fanatic

Posted Aug 4, 2012 @ 8:06 AM

I did see that episode about the "daring" escape from Chile. I just wonder how the show verifies that this actually happened. I mean this story happened in 1974, so is there anyone who can verify that this happened? (Maybe, since, according to him, he was on the front page of the local newspaper)

Human trafficking lady? Seemed a little unstable and flighty to me. On the one hand I understand the deep desire to have a child. On the other hand, I hate that entitled "I'll take one of those, to go" attitude that some well off people have about adopting children. Like they were going to the pet store and picking out a dog for their purse. It grates. But that aside, she just seems a little loopy to me.

Her entire story was so overwrought. And I'm sorry, but an overly emotional post-menopausal woman who picked up everything overnight to move to Egypt to marry a man she hadn't seen in seventeen years based on internet chatting is not going to make it on my short list of good adoptive parents. She saw a woman on a bus holding a baby and, at forty-six, said 'I want one of those.' That just annoys the crap outta me. She kept calling Marco 'my baby' and I kept thinking, 'Lady, he's not your baby, that's kind of the point.'

Though I really had doubts about her story, I don't think that just because someone is "post-menopausal" means they're going to be a bad mother; I mean forty-six isn't dead, plus it's not like the woman was a drug addict or alcoholic, and if she adopted the baby then that IS her baby; just because you physically give birth to a baby, doesn't make you a mother.

However what bothered me about her was the whole going to the church to adopt a baby. I am sure there are legal places to adopt a baby in Egypt and I bet a church isn't one of them. Also, this happened in 2008 I think, wasn't that the same time there was a whole scandal about people in the US taking Haitian babies out of the country after the earthquake?

AngelaHunter44

AngelaHunter44

Fanatic

Posted Aug 5, 2012 @ 10:40 PM

I don't think that just because someone is "post-menopausal" means they're going to be a bad mother;

No, but the fact that she was post-menopausal before she woke up and suddenly realized she wanted a baby and wanted it NOW would make me a leery of giving her one.

And her "I want one" justifying taking a baby that had no adoption papers or information of any kind with no questions asked was just crazy, not to mention her agreeing to acquire a fake birth certificate.

Like they were going to the pet store and picking out a dog for their purse.

Most people go through way more of a process to adopt or buy a puppy. Then she finds it shocking that she might be arrested by authorities who have no way of knowing how she got the baby. For all they know, she may have paid someone to kidnap him from his real mother, who I noticed she never seemed to think of or wonder about.

I had a hard time watching this. Her manner, speech and nutty histrionics were irritating in the extreme.

SheliaShay

SheliaShay

Video Archivist

Posted Aug 6, 2012 @ 9:31 AM

We got our son through international adoption, and there's no way I would have broken any laws, either in this country or his birth country. I didn't think about jail, but I was concerned about making sure he would never be taken from us!

It's people like her who make international adoption more difficult for those of us who follow the rules and laws. Like many people who appear on the program, even with hindsight, she still didn't seem to have an understanding of how wrong her behavior had been.

EndoKE

EndoKE

Fanatic

Posted Aug 7, 2012 @ 3:48 PM

No, but the fact that she was post-menopausal before she woke up and suddenly realized she wanted a baby and wanted it NOW would make me a leery of giving her one.

I don't understand what her age would have to do with that, I do think she was a bit nutty for wanting a baby NOW just because she saw a baby one the bus.

And her "I want one" justifying taking a baby that had no adoption papers or information of any kind with no questions asked was just crazy, not to mention her agreeing to acquire a fake birth certificate.

Did she mention that she paid money for the baby? I thought it was weird that she went to a church and not an orphanage or something. She had no idea where that baby even came from.

AngelaHunter44

AngelaHunter44

Fanatic

Posted Aug 8, 2012 @ 9:59 AM

Other than the $50 she says she paid to the "nun", she didn't mention other money but I have a hard time believing these people went to the trouble of getting her a baby and asked for no payment. And yes, there seemed to be a perfectly nice orphanage there where she and her husband could have done a legitimate adoption, but maybe that would have required a waiting period as most legal adoptions do.

At the end when she was going through the orphanage, checking out and picking up the children I couldn't help but think of Dr.Larch in "The Cider House Rules" saying, "Do people think I'm running a petshop? Do they think I allow people to browse?"

urlittledogtoo

urlittledogtoo

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 17, 2012 @ 7:31 AM

Oh yeah, I'm not saying that a forty-six year old woman is too old to have a child, not at all. But combined with all of the rest of her behavior, her histrionics, her impulsivity, her apparent lack of self-awareness, that whole 'I want one of those NOW!' decision to 'get a baby' -- put it all together and it is one huge spinning red light on any prospective adoptive parent as far as I'm concerned. I mean she just screamed 'extended scrutiny, multiple home visits, needs stellar references' before considering her as an adoptive parent. Being forty-six is not an ideal age at which to first adopt a baby, but it's not like she'd make a bad mother because of that. But for THIS particular woman the fact that she was also forty-six (and excuse me but she looks like she might have shaved some years off her age or she simply is not aging well) -- well, it doesn't help her case at all.

And yes, when I adopted my puppy I had to go through more scrutiny than this woman did with this baby. Who is his birth mother? Is she alive? Dead? Was she ill? Did she give him up voluntarily or was he stolen? Who knows? Trafficking lady seemed less than interested however. She just wanted a baby. Period. No questions asked.

I always go into these episodes fully prepared to be sympathetic and caring but the people they are profiling are just very unlikable and unsympathetic this season.

ncw12371

ncw12371

Video Archivist

Posted Aug 17, 2012 @ 3:48 PM

Just watched the Irish guy in Venezuela (I think) episode. This guy got my sympathy. Have to agree with other posters that people who smuggle and get caught, or break laws in other countries and get thrown in jail generally get what they deserve, but this gut, no way. Raped by the police at the station, WTF, and watching him cry afterwards handcuffed to the stairs, was just awful. This is the only one I rooted for escaping jail.

EndoKE

EndoKE

Fanatic

Posted Aug 18, 2012 @ 5:09 PM

I think that episode with the Irish guy in Venezuela was the first one, at least in my memory, that described a prison rape.

However he never heard of Venezuela? WTF, and I thought the public schools in the USA were shit.

The only thing I liked about this guy was his self awareness but he knew damn well what he was doing and I have a feeling that if he didn't get caught that first time, he would have done it again, just like that woman in Florida.

AngelaHunter44

AngelaHunter44

Fanatic

Posted Sep 6, 2012 @ 9:01 AM

I actually felt sorry for the Irish guy. I know what he did was really stupid, but at least he wasn't smuggling because he was too damn lazy to work and wanted easy money to finance his party lifestyle. There was something very sympathetic about him.

I don't want to get upset and feel bad watching this. I want people like Dumbass David, who deserves only derision and scorn.

theabnormalnorm

theabnormalnorm

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 15, 2013 @ 10:34 AM

There was a marathon yesterday to celebrate the upcoming new season and I caught a rerun about an irish guy in Saudi Arabia who was arrested for being gay. It was really interesting. There was a lot of tension although ultimately nothing really happened and it was one of the shortest jail times I've ever seen. It's a shame he'll never know what really happened or what he signed or anything. I was just so glad he was able to get out. I thought his whole story was really relatable and I thought it was brave of him to tell and share with his kids someday.

ilovecomputers

ilovecomputers

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 18, 2013 @ 9:25 AM

Saw the story about POWs Ernie Brace and John McCain. Brace's attitude and resourcefulness during captivity were amazing. I will have to read his book, because it wasn't clear to me how he and McCain--with their tapping--could distinguish the start and ending of letters. Did anyone catch that? It seems to me I read about it years ago, and I thought there were two grids, one for A-L and the other for M-Z, so the first tap indicated what grid, and then the column and row of the letter. McCain's initial tapping of "Shave and a Haircut" was just brilliant. I don't know one recovers from such experiences as theirs, indeed, any wartime experience...

EndoKE

EndoKE

Fanatic

Posted Apr 25, 2013 @ 8:22 AM

Last night's show was interesting, because the subject was "locked up abroad" he was British and got locked up in the US.

I kind of got pissed off that the state of Arizona spent all that money to investigate an ecstasy dealer, and then he only served 6 years. Wouldn't it have made more sense to deport him and have him serve his entire time in Britain?