Locked Up Abroad

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

268 replies to this topic

AngelaHunter44

AngelaHunter44

Fanatic

Posted Apr 27, 2012 @ 1:59 PM

He had all the beatings he got (if true) coming to him.

I must admit I agree with that. He seemed to think that because he's an American and appeared in that timeless classic, "Dude, Where's My Car?" where he's credited as one of four "Muscleheads" that he was somehow special and untouchable.

WmDeKooning, I scanned that article linked. I see how he mentioned several times how much "fun" he had in prison.

Edited by AngelaHunter44, Apr 27, 2012 @ 2:01 PM.

SpringTulips

SpringTulips

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 28, 2012 @ 6:41 AM

I think (Hollywood to Hell) might have been the funniest episode though, and a significant portion was actually spent "Locked Up Abroad".

Here's more of the story

I agree the episode was hilarious and I do not believe half of the story he was telling.

However, that interview you posted may even be funnier. I do not know where to begin.
Here is my favorite life lesson from Erik

"I learned to never carry anything for anyone anywhere. If someone even asks you to help them carry a couch, you tell them to f&*% off."
"

Because we should all know, helping a friend move is on the same level as taking an expense paid trip to a foreign country to pick up a few "leather goods."

Edited by SpringTulips, Apr 30, 2012 @ 8:03 AM.

SheliaShay

SheliaShay

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 28, 2012 @ 6:38 PM

I see how he mentioned several times how much "fun" he had in prison.

I saw that too and wondered if he had so much fun and enjoyed himself so much, then why did he bother trying to get out? You'd think he'd want to serve every day of his sentence in that fun-filled prison.

I must admit, by the end of the episode, I was kind of sorry he was released early. So dumb and and yet so smug!

mamabraxas

mamabraxas

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 29, 2012 @ 11:55 AM

Erik's interpretation of his stamina was clearly bullshit. One minute he's getting his feet beaten with rods and the next minute he's running around the prison throwing people around like a professional wrestler? And was it just us Chez Mamabraxas or was he too stupid to live? Dudebros always have a story about kicking twenty guys's asses for looking at them sideways or whatever.

mindy

mindy

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 30, 2012 @ 11:27 AM

I'm glad I'm not the only one who hated Erik the entire time. With a few exceptions, even if the person has been a total idiot to get caught up in one of these stings, I end up feeling bad for them at some point once they're suffering in some terrible prison, because I don't think torture, beatings, or rape are an appropriate punishment for foolishness, and because they *usually* show some remorse or self-awareness. But Erik's combination of stupidity, arrogance, and narcissism was unique.

Has anyone else played themselves in the re-enactment? Then again, maybe no one else was such a talented Hollywood "actor."

I know that U.S. - Pakistan relations are iffy anyway, but assholes like him don't help our reputation abroad.

EndoKE

EndoKE

Fanatic

Posted Apr 30, 2012 @ 11:55 AM

Yet another one who is stupid enough to buy the "go and bring some stuff back for me and I'll pay you and pay for your flight and hotel and whatnot." I'm still amazed that people are that stupid. Of course, Eric was such a conceited asshole, Rai (sp?) had him pegged as a sucker right off. Hey, buddy. Go get your 'leather goods' yourself.

This guy, Eric seemed to be an entitled jerk. When I flew, in the 1990's, I was told NEVER to take anything on a plane that someone else had packed, I remember hearing about young people getting "locked up abroad" mainly in Mexico. I don't think he learned anything either, in fact, I wonder how much of the story was true. What turned me off was that he played himself. Maybe he thinks that he'll get a reality show deal or something.

Did this happen after 9/11? If so, then he's a bigger jerk than I thought.

Makes me wonder why his girlfriend broke up with him, NOT.

Edited by EndoKE, Apr 30, 2012 @ 12:30 PM.

AngelaHunter44

AngelaHunter44

Fanatic

Posted Apr 30, 2012 @ 5:00 PM

the next minute he's running around the prison throwing people around like a professional wrestler?

I hope they do the Popped version of this ep, and they can add Batman-style captions: POW! WHAM! BOF! ZONK!

Maybe he thinks that he'll get a reality show deal or something.

Perish the thought. I think there's enough no-talent, cement-headed, dreary assholes getting airtime. We don't need another.

BDArizona

BDArizona

Fanatic

• Interests:Left wing politics, sci-fi, sports, competitive reality shows

Posted May 1, 2012 @ 11:39 PM

I'm glad I'm not the only one who hated Erik the entire time. With a few exceptions, even if the person has been a total idiot to get caught up in one of these stings, I end up feeling bad for them at some point once they're suffering in some terrible prison, because I don't think torture, beatings, or rape are an appropriate punishment for foolishness

I don't feel bad for most of these people, especially since so many of them end up getting out early due to white skin and Western passports. After all, being raped, beaten and tortured happens in U.S. prisons all the time, yet foreign nationals rarely get out early because of it and most Americans would be incensed if they did. I just hate it when Westerners go to other countries and expect the laws not to apply to them--especially when most of those laws are in place because of the U.S. drug war. I just end up hating most of these people for their arrogance.

EndoKE

EndoKE

Fanatic

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 10:28 AM

I have noticed that a lot of them rarely do their entire sentence, I know many do the entire time, and I wonder if the government figures they'll just keep them in jail for a few years, "to teach them a lesson." One of these people said that one night a guard just banged on his door and said, "get out, you've finished."

AngelaHunter44

AngelaHunter44

Fanatic

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 2:16 PM

I just hate it when Westerners go to other countries and expect the laws not to apply to them

That's what galls the most. Most of them knowingly commit crimes and act astonished when they learn that saying "I'm an American!" won't get them a "Get out of Jail" pass.

Really, if they were caught smuggling pounds of heroin or coke in their own country they would likely serve much more time than they do in the foreign prisons.

Myndela

Myndela

Fanatic

• Interests:Classic rock, bead weaving, playing the guitar and writing music.

Posted May 5, 2012 @ 7:05 PM

I just watched the latest episode, and I was really distracted by how much the subject looked like William H. Macy as Frank Gallagher on the US version of "Shameless." And this was totally something Frank would do, too. So I was imagining this all as Frank Gallagher's story, heh. This guy just got greedy and stupid. Hash isn't that bad, but if you're such a dumbass, you especially deserve to be caught. A friend of my dad's in the 1970s used to wear these boots that he hollowed out the heels and soles of and used as a stash-o for his hash, where he would smuggle on a train going from Mexico to Vancouver and back. Never got caught once, and owns a nice antiques store in Michigan these days. It was mostly for his own use, he never got greedy, and he kept his cool. Then again, this was the 1970s, so this was way easier for them to do that then.

I wonder with guys like him: don't people notice how he keeps travelling from Tokyo to Nepal, stays for a couple days at a time, and goes back? It's on his freaking passport, for Roger Waters' sake! Wouldn't that look suspicious to someone?

blubld43

blubld43

Fanatic

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 6:06 AM

I hope they do the Popped version of this ep, and they can add Batman-style captions: POW! WHAM! BOF! ZONK!

Ha! Glad to know I wasn't the only one thinking this!

I wonder with guys like him: don't people notice how he keeps travelling from Tokyo to Nepal, stays for a couple days at a time, and goes back? I

I've wondered this before too; seems like an open invitation to "search me! search my luggage!"

damalanop

damalanop

Couch Potato

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 8:00 AM

I wonder with guys like him: don't people notice how he keeps travelling from Tokyo to Nepal, stays for a couple days at a time, and goes back?

I wondered the exact same thing during the last episode! You'd think he would at least be subjected to more pointed questions about his travel habits.

AngelaHunter44

AngelaHunter44

Fanatic

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 7:04 AM

That guy Mark was such a Peter Pan doofus, with his "Party 24/7" and he was 39!! So he gets a wife and kid and of course can't think how he could possibly support them. You can't expect him to get a job, dude. He was only 40. Gotta transport drugs, man. I kept hoping he'd get caught during every trip. Everyone drink every time he says "Gypsy fortune teller girl." He seemed like someone who was really sorry he missed the 1960s.

At least he had a very novel experience in prison - he had to work! at a boring job! Welcome to the real world, you idiot. I was so hoping he'd get caught in Nepal instead of Japan.

I wonder who chooses the actors for the re-enactments. Must be the subjects themselves, since the actors are always better looking, slimmer and taller. "Oh, yeah man. He looks like me!"

EndoKE

EndoKE

Fanatic

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 9:12 AM

That guy Mark was such a Peter Pan doofus, with his "Party 24/7" and he was 39!! So he gets a wife and kid and of course can't think how he could possibly support them. You can't expect him to get a job, dude. He was only 40. Gotta transport drugs, man. I kept hoping he'd get caught during every trip. Everyone drink every time he says "Gypsy fortune teller girl." He seemed like someone who was really sorry he missed the 1960s.

I'm of two minds with him at least in the beginning. Who says that you have to get a boring job in your 20's? If you can live like Mark was, why not? He became a jerk IMO when he decided to become a drug dealer. Anybody else would just think, "I have a wife and a kid, I guess I'll get a job." Before he had a family, he had no reason to be responsible.

I didn't see all of the woman's story last night, but what I did see was interesting and it proved something to me about drugs. You just never know what can happen to a person. She was doing fine until her boyfriend broke up with her. She probably was depressed and was looking for a way out of those feelings, so she sought drugs and that was that. If she hadn't been addicted, she never would have gone to Argentina.

blubld43

blubld43

Fanatic

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 12:11 PM

I'm of two minds with him at least in the beginning. Who says that you have to get a boring job in your 20's?

After watching Erik, Mark was a breath of fresh air, lol. I wondered if perhaps he couldn't work in Japan, at least not a straight job, because he is not a Japanese citizen? Of course then you have to wonder what he was doing in Bali, where he met his wife.

VagabondDays

VagabondDays

Channel Surfer

Posted May 14, 2012 @ 11:25 AM

I didn't see all of the woman's story last night, but what I did see was interesting and it proved something to me about drugs. You just never know what can happen to a person. She was doing fine until her boyfriend broke up with her. She probably was depressed and was looking for a way out of those feelings, so she sought drugs and that was that. If she hadn't been addicted, she never would have gone to Argentina.

Absolutely!! I have started watching this show more, b/c during my "hay day," I traveled to Europe a few times with drugs. Just recreational amounts, but I came so close to getting caught, and I look back and think how stupid/lucky I was that nothing bad happened. Anyway, that British girl was a great cautionary tale about how close many of us are to getting hooked -- one really bad event and bam -- you're down the wrong path very quickly.

And BTW, the "actor" was truly horrifying. How did he turn into the Incredible Hulk, tossing people over bannisters and crap. That episode of Locked Up Abroad is the only one my hubby watched with me, and he has proclaimed that it is the last. I kept trying to tell him they're all not this unbelievable and bad, but it's a lost cause now.

Edited by VagabondDays, May 14, 2012 @ 11:28 AM.

AngelaHunter44

AngelaHunter44

Fanatic

Posted May 14, 2012 @ 1:18 PM

Of course then you have to wonder what he was doing in Bali

I don't believe he ever mentioned how he was supporting himself. I doubt "partying" pays much.

The story of the girl escaping from Argentina was quite gripping, IMO. If it all happened as she says, she's quite resourceful and pretty brave, especially to swim that river. I guess desperation gives you courage you never knew you had. I kind of like Argentina's policy of booting foreign offenders onto the street to support themselves while awaiting trial, instead of having the taxpaying citizens pay to feed, clothe and house them, however marginal those ameneties may be.

hubby watched with me, and he has proclaimed that it is the last.

Isn't that always the way? If the "Incredible Hulk" had been the first episode I'd watched, I would never watch again either.

taiko

taiko

Fanatic

Posted May 14, 2012 @ 3:20 PM

Has anyone seen the UK man who hooks up with a Filipino woman, only to find out she is committing adultery?
I wonder did anyone have any thoughts on that episode. I thought it was very riveting, but I couldn't help but wonder about her two older children and why she was on the internet chatting/hooking up

She was separated and a OFW working in Dubai. I assumed her husband had the older kids the entire time. With no divorce people tend to separate without court orders for such things, the one with money keeps the kids. With her working overseas i can assume she didn't have a well paying job at home. The single parenthood rate and shack up rates are within the margin of error of America's it takes some political pull to get adultery laws enforced. Their president's baby sister Kris Aquino. sort of like the JJ Kennedy of the Philippines after her father was assassinated, was once shacked up with a married man. She never went the jail

blubld43

blubld43

Fanatic

Posted May 15, 2012 @ 6:48 AM

The story of the girl escaping from Argentina was quite gripping, IMO. If it all happened as she says, she's quite resourceful and pretty brave, especially to swim that river

That story was one of the best yet, IMO. It was very surprising that the judge actually released her, pending trial, and that she actually got away! I was wondering what could be in that river the entire time.....I also wonder what her current situation is. I know she successfully fought extradition; I wonder how they ever found her to begin with.

mindy

mindy

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 15, 2012 @ 9:33 AM

I felt like the story about the woman who escaped from Argentina was not entirely satisfying. Granted, her escape was amazing, but she didn't actually get "locked up," did she, except briefly when she was arrested? I kept waiting for the part where she would be caught and convicted or at least serve some time. She *was* guilty of knowingly carrying drugs, not just a dupe. But she seemed to think it was fair that she could flee the country and then serve time in some (presumably) cushier prison in England just because? Can she do that when her crime was violating the laws of Argentina?

EndoKE

EndoKE

Fanatic

Posted May 15, 2012 @ 9:37 AM

That story was one of the best yet, IMO. It was very surprising that the judge actually released her, pending trial, and that she actually got away! I was wondering what could be in that river the entire time.....I also wonder what her current situation is. I know she successfully fought extradition; I wonder how they ever found her to begin with.

The judge released her because he felt the citizens of Argentina shouldn't be paying to support foreigners accused of crimes. I'm not surprised that she successfully fought extradition; I mean I don't believe the drugs were still in police custody two years after the fact. Maybe they were hoping that she did run so the government didn't have to pay for a trial.

But she seemed to think it was fair that she could flee the country and then serve time in some (presumably) cushier prison in England just because? Can she do that when her crime was violating the laws of Argentina?

Sometimes that does happen, deport someone so they serve time in their country and their citizens have to pay for it. I wonder what happened to the cocaine?

Edited by EndoKE, May 15, 2012 @ 9:39 AM.

walkabout123

walkabout123

Channel Surfer

Posted May 15, 2012 @ 11:30 PM

I kind of liked the blond guy who got caught smuggling hash from Nepal. He was a little old to be hanging out and partying in Bali, but he was single and wasn't hurting anyone. I was surprised that he married his one-month fling when she told him she was pregnant. Given his carefree lifestyle, I didn't expect him to step up like that.

I, too, wondered how he supported himself in Bali. I doubt that doing magic tricks would do it. Maybe he was a small-time drug dealer already. He certainly was no stranger to drug use, and he seemed pretty adept for a first-time drug smuggler.

The drugs have fried his brain though. What criminal thinks that he will get a LIGHTER sentence by copping to more drugs than the police know you have? He literally pointed out to the police that they had missed some of his stash. Total bonehead move. This qualifies him for a spot on another show, "The World's Dumbest Criminals."

OSM Mom

OSM Mom

Fanatic

Posted May 17, 2012 @ 10:05 AM

I felt bad for the American truck driver/contractor in Iraq who was kidnapped. I wonder how the rest of the people in the convoy can live with themselves after they drove off and left the poor guy to be kidnapped. Nasty scar that guy has on his arm, but what a great attitude he seemed to have.

ilovecomputers

ilovecomputers

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 17, 2012 @ 11:06 PM

I felt bad for the American truck driver/contractor in Iraq who was kidnapped. I wonder how the rest of the people in the convoy can live with themselves after they drove off and left the poor guy to be kidnapped. Nasty scar that guy has on his arm, but what a great attitude he seemed to have.

I felt bad for him too, but his story seemed so long and drawn out--the program seemed to last for 24 days--and the way he repeated himself for emphasis all the time was annoying. The way he repeated himself for emphasis was annoying ;D

AngelaHunter44

AngelaHunter44

Fanatic

Posted May 23, 2012 @ 9:06 AM

When I saw the truck drive intro, I was thinking how I didn't want to see another innocent person kidnapped and brutalized. But his selfishness and immaturity in wanting "adventure" even when he admits his wife begged him not to go and that going to Iraq "probably wasn't the best decision for my family" but he would do what HE wanted, I lost my sympathy.

I agree his constant repetitions about how much of a man he was and wouldn't beg, and his horrible grammar were very grating. Oh, and he was 43,(43, 43, 43) in case you didn't catch that.

QueenBee78

QueenBee78

Video Archivist

Posted May 23, 2012 @ 10:01 PM

Just watched the episode about Dwight Worker, the guy who was in the Mexican prison and escaped disguised as a woman.

Sorry, but was it me or was he talking kind of...funnY? I don't know, I kept thinking brain damage from all the drugs.

I don't feel sorry for these dumbasses usually, but that prison just looked like one of the worst profiled on this show. In the end, I kept wondering what happened to the kittens.

bawarner

bawarner

Couch Potato

Posted May 23, 2012 @ 11:05 PM

Sorry, but was it me or was he talking kind of...funnY? I don't know, I kept thinking brain damage from all the drugs.

I'm right there with you on the talking funny. I just thought it was some kind of faux-intellectual put-on affection though. There was something about that guy that just screamed "douche" to me and I was not feeling any kind of sympathy for him. This was one of those episodes that left me wondering why this show celebrates (in a way) prison escapes and why I reward it with watching. I fully admit though that there was something compelling about the story and I couldn't change the channel.

What had me absolutely cracking up though was just how bad the main actor looked as a woman:) I certainly hope the real guy looked more convincing!

YoureSoUrban

YoureSoUrban

Couch Potato

Posted May 23, 2012 @ 11:36 PM

What had me absolutely cracking up though was just how bad the main actor looked as a woman:) I certainly hope the real guy looked more convincing!

Seriously, none of the guards noticed he was like 3 feet taller than all the other women? I'm also shocked that they let women walk the corridors of the prison and hang out in prisoners' rooms like Barbara did.

I think this season's episodes are much more heavy on the hyperbole than previous episodes. The one with Eric Superman Jerk should have never been the season premiere because I imagine a lot of people never came back for ep 2. I didn't think I could loathe that guy more until I read the interview a poster linked upthread.

Edited by YoureSoUrban, May 23, 2012 @ 11:37 PM.

WmDeKooning

WmDeKooning

Couch Potato

Posted May 23, 2012 @ 11:45 PM

He looked like a character from the movie "Velvet Goldmine" or Johnny Depp playing Barnabas Collins.

That out of the way, that was some harsh prison! I wonder how much time Dwight would have gotten in total had he not escaped. As for his accent, I thought it was just that. An accent from someplace in Europe that lingered from his youth or maybe it was a "Californian" accent.

Sucky about Iraq Truck Driver getting left behind/lost in the sauce like that. I wonder why the drivers did that.