Locked Up Abroad

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

268 replies to this topic

Malibu65

Malibu65

Stalker

Posted Apr 2, 2009 @ 5:38 PM

After watching some of these episodes that deal with smuggling, I can't help but say the movie MIDNIGHT EXPRESS should be shown to everyone in high school or have them read the book. If that doesn't tell you why you shouldn't smuggle anything in or out of a country, nothing will. I have no sympathy for those who try and smuggle something to make some money. They get caught and they want our country to override another country's laws. What if someone from another country is imprisoned here for smuggling drugs and their country wants our laws to be put aside?

Edited by Malibu65, Apr 2, 2009 @ 5:42 PM.

rain21

rain21

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 3, 2009 @ 3:57 PM

After watching the last show done in Peru all I can say is I really don't know what I would do if I where in Simon's shoes...He was innocent so I felt really bad for him...I hated the woman...just hated her...The only good thing she did was say the drugs where hers....You can't go to another country and expect to be treated the way you would be in your own....Simon was really in hell and I am sure we only got the clean version of what all happen to him....I hope he is able to go home soon.

YoureSoUrban

YoureSoUrban

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 5, 2009 @ 5:21 PM

I watched Simon's story feeling just heartbroken. He clearly had no clue what Sarah was doing, is obviously not a criminal mastermind. Unless I missed something, the show didn't explain why the Peruvian prosecutor is so hell bent on punishing Simon (i.e. filing appeals that keep him unable to leave the country). Has the poor guy simply been lost in the bureaucracy?

This ep was especially good for showing real footage of Simon and Sarah when they were detained. Boy, what a nasty piece of work she was.

Edited by YoureSoUrban, Apr 5, 2009 @ 5:33 PM.

travel9x

travel9x

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 6, 2009 @ 10:04 AM

Well, the police in these countries see a lot of these cases so I figure that the prosecutors believe strongly that Simon actually knew what was going on. There are a lot of elements to the case that would support that belief -- such as the trip, who was paying for the trip, etc., that should have indicated to Simon that something was not right and therefore he should have refused to be involved if he were truly innocent -- that's likely to be the prosecution argument. I also suspect that Simon being male also leads to this assumption -- that possibly Sarah was taking the blame for what they were both doing in order to get a lighter sentence. I believe that Simon had no idea about what was going on and that Sarah is a weak and horrible person for getting him involved.

I find that I prefer watching the drug/gold/money smuggling cases because of the culpability of the people involved. The hostage stories are harder to watch because the people involved were just going about their business and then got into a bad, bad situation.

Pepper Mostly

Pepper Mostly

Fanatic

Posted Apr 6, 2009 @ 3:48 PM

I also suspect that Simon being male also leads to this assumption -- that possibly Sarah was taking the blame for what they were both doing in order to get a lighter sentence. I believe that Simon had no idea about what was going on and that Sarah is a weak and horrible person for getting him involved.

I agree. I think many a woman tries to take the fall for a guy in these situations. Especially since it seems that in Peru the women's prisons are much more relaxed than the hell holes the men are thrown into. Poor Simon! He really got doubly screwed. I felt terrible for him, stuck in that little room in Lima, with his lift just passing by while he waits for resolution.

leftay23

leftay23

Just Tuned In

Posted Apr 6, 2009 @ 6:21 PM

The Cuzco episode was absolutely heartbreaking. Sarah's prison seemed to be a walk in the park compared to the heinous prison that Simon was subjected to.

For interested parties, Simon (Burke) is on facebook, and there are tons of groups fighting for him. I have corresponded with him through the site, and he is very humbled by the huge amount of support he has received from viewers in the US!

This episode was just painful though. I like it better when I can at least justify that these people knew what they were getting themselves into. However, this wasn't the case with poor Simon! Can't wait for the next episode.

Edited by leftay23, Apr 6, 2009 @ 6:21 PM.

mickif

mickif

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 11, 2009 @ 10:48 AM

For interested parties, Simon (Burke) is on facebook, and there are tons of groups fighting for him. I have corresponded with him through the site, and he is very humbled by the huge amount of support he has received from viewers in the US!

Yeah, I sent him a donation through paypal. I feel so badly for him and it makes me feel better for him to know that yes, even random strangers he'll never meet care about his situation.

leftay23

leftay23

Just Tuned In

Posted Apr 11, 2009 @ 5:32 PM

Yes, I hope Simon goes home soon, poor guy :(

Did anyone catch the most recent episode with David, who got locked up in Los Teques prison for smuggling drugs out of Caracas, Venezuela? I was amazed that he didn't run for it when they called his name on the loudspeaker at the airport!! He really thought he was going to get away with it up until the last second, but his whole trip was a recipe for disaster. I did feel bad for him though, mostly because he was in Los Teques and seemed so weak and pathetic with his awkward reunion with Julie. I bet he saw some crazy shit in that prison.

Mindymoo

Mindymoo

Fanatic

• Interests:I'm a musician, a student, a liberal, and I have my own little craft business. To allow you to get to know me, here are my top tens, in no particular order.<br /><br />Music: Pink Floyd. Grateful Deadl Frank Zappa. Nick Drake. Bob Dylan. Donovan. Warren Zevon. Van Morrison. Yes. The Who.<br /><br />Movies: Hedwig and the Angry Inch. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. Pulp Fiction. The Wall. Harold and Maude. The Godfather. Dr. Strangelove. Take the Money and Run. Die, Mommy, Die. Chinatown.<br /><br />TV: The Sopranos. The Twilight Zone. The Daily Show. The Shield. Kids in the Hall. SCTV. Blackadder. Monty Python's Flying Circus. Absolutely Fabulous. Dexter.<br /><br />Books: The Glass Castle. Darkly Dreaming Dexter. The Audacity of Hope. Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers. Night. Anything by Al Franken, Jon Stewart, Truman Capote, Hunter S. Thompson, and David Sedaris.<br /><br />Hobbies: Singing. Playing music. Making music. Sewing. Writing. Photography. Reading. Watching TV. Watching movies. Shopping.

Posted Apr 12, 2009 @ 4:39 AM

My mom always tells me that you shouldn't hate people, but I hated Sarah. Despised her. Felt insane amounts of animocity towards her. How dare she involve an inncocent in her scheme like that? And you can't get much more innocent than Simon. Reading the ending caption, before they showed Simon's glorious digs, made my stomach drop. Normally, I can just roll my eyes at the stupidity of the subjects, but this was different. Even worse than the hostage episodes. Simon was lead into the line of fire by someone he trusted, and that was just unforgivable. That poor, poor man.

Edited by Mindymoo, Apr 12, 2009 @ 4:40 AM.

mickif

mickif

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 12, 2009 @ 6:00 PM

It's weird and I can't fully justify it, but I have some degree of sympathy for Sarah. She just strikes me as your classic fuck up/possible addict. Immature, self-absorbed, self-destructive and an all around unthinking fool. I believe her when she says that she didn't think Simon would be imprisoned as well if they were caught. Not that that makes it in any way okay, of course. But at least she realizes she screwed up his life as well as her own. And she seems to realize she preyed on Simon's innocence. She kept saying I didn't do it with evil intent, which to me, meant that she knows deep down, it was evil. She's denying it and may always deny it, but deep down she knows the truth.

The Blues guy was like Sarah in the fuck up way, but he bugged me. Probably because I read the Q&A with him on the forums for the Locked Up Abroad site and his attitude has a smidgen of, can you believe they locked me up for this one little mistake? It's not like i'm gonna do it again! He's resentful because he's on parole and can't travel abroad to play in gigs with Julie. Actually he could travel, but one of the conditions his parole officer gave him is he has to have a steady job. David considers being a musician his job, which it is, but it's not a steady gig. So, no travel. He said something like, I guess I can put up with The Man's bullshit for a bit longer. Well, yeah David, I guess so. You did, after all, try to smuggle about 20lbs. of drugs.

Edited by mickif, Apr 12, 2009 @ 6:01 PM.

RabidStoat

RabidStoat

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 13, 2009 @ 9:44 PM

Yeah, that Caracas guy, I was amazed he managed to catch the flight to Venezuela in the first place, he seemed pretty clueless. Like when he got the bag with the hair spray and stuff in it, and he was all, "Gee, where are the drugs?" Like they were going to deliver him a bag with plastic baggies of drugs stuffed in it, all out in the open. Then again, he seemed a bit clueless, maybe he would have tried to go through security like that?

It did seem like the security at the airport was mostly paid off. What I assumed was that the first guard 'dopey-looking' guard who went through his stuff was paid off, and was going to let him go, but then the commander guy came in unexpected, and actually started enforcing the rules. Sucks to be him.

The prison -- Los Teques? -- looked like a nightmare. I was reading up on Venezuelan jails, and they do not look like a good place to be, for males especially. The statistics I was reading said that in one year there was about 22,000 inmates, and of those, nearly 500 of them died. Not very good odds at all! Yikes!

Pepper Mostly

Pepper Mostly

Fanatic

Posted Apr 14, 2009 @ 8:58 AM

Every time I see this show I think the people can't get stupider. Then I saw the Caracas episode. Sweet tapdancing Jesus, that guy was a complete feeb. This show needs a drinking game. Drink whenever someone says:

"He told us we'd have a free vacation in a four star hotel"

"The airport personnel are all paid off, it was perfectly safe"

"The cases are specially built so sniffer dogs can't smell the drugs"

This guy was so hopelessly naive. It was very, very hard to muster up any sympathy for this clown, really. He was broke? He only worked as a musician at night, right? He couldn't get a day job at Home Depot or something, to pay the bills, but being a drug mule seemed like a reasonable choice? Feh.

On the bright side, his arrest and prison time will give him some real blues cred.

travel9x

travel9x

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 15, 2009 @ 9:38 AM

From the presentation of the case, it looked like the blues guy was looking for trouble. He noticed his future connection at a club and got interested, etc., then followed up by looking for the mule job.

I thought it was interesting how the show handled the fact that his partner didn't wait for him. I figured that was the likely outcome.

gaPeach

gaPeach

Fanatic

Posted Apr 15, 2009 @ 10:01 PM

Every time I see this show I think the people can't get stupider. Then I saw the Caracas episode. Sweet tapdancing Jesus, that guy was a complete feeb. This show needs a drinking game. Drink whenever someone says:

"He told us we'd have a free vacation in a four star hotel"

"The airport personnel are all paid off, it was perfectly safe"

"The cases are specially built so sniffer dogs can't smell the drugs"

I would be drunk before the 2nd commercial! I agree he was a total idiot and how he thought everything was a-ok even when they called his name was just stupid. I had no sympathy for him even though he was in a place that sounded pretty bad.

And him complaining about being on parole.........hell it beats being back in that prison.

OSM Mom

OSM Mom

Fanatic

Posted Apr 15, 2009 @ 10:37 PM

Every time I see this show I think the people can't get stupider. Then I saw the Caracas episode. Sweet tapdancing Jesus, that guy was a complete feeb.

I know, right? He seemed like a nice enough guy, but not very bright. He got out of Caracas with his life though, and I hope he realizes how lucky he was.

absolutqt

absolutqt

Fanatic

Posted Apr 17, 2009 @ 9:18 AM

The prison -- Los Teques? -- looked like a nightmare.

And what was up with every other prisoner having a firearm?! That was crazy...it's like the "shank" went the way of the dinosaur in Venezuela.

Megafauna

Megafauna

Channel Surfer

Posted May 1, 2009 @ 8:04 PM

The most amazing episode was the one where this girl tricked a guy in Florida to go to Venezuela and carry drugs with her but she dumps him some days after they get there and HE gets busted and gets 8 years in a Venezuelan prison!! UNREAL!! He spent so long there he ended up marrying a Venezuelan woman.

The thing I wasn't sure about is HOW did it benefit the girl if she just dumped him there. She did not carry drugs onto the plane with her so how did she make any money??

If I was that dude I would've hunted that girl down. He never even bothered to track here down once he came back to America.

Mindymoo

Mindymoo

Fanatic

• Interests:I'm a musician, a student, a liberal, and I have my own little craft business. To allow you to get to know me, here are my top tens, in no particular order.<br /><br />Music: Pink Floyd. Grateful Deadl Frank Zappa. Nick Drake. Bob Dylan. Donovan. Warren Zevon. Van Morrison. Yes. The Who.<br /><br />Movies: Hedwig and the Angry Inch. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. Pulp Fiction. The Wall. Harold and Maude. The Godfather. Dr. Strangelove. Take the Money and Run. Die, Mommy, Die. Chinatown.<br /><br />TV: The Sopranos. The Twilight Zone. The Daily Show. The Shield. Kids in the Hall. SCTV. Blackadder. Monty Python's Flying Circus. Absolutely Fabulous. Dexter.<br /><br />Books: The Glass Castle. Darkly Dreaming Dexter. The Audacity of Hope. Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers. Night. Anything by Al Franken, Jon Stewart, Truman Capote, Hunter S. Thompson, and David Sedaris.<br /><br />Hobbies: Singing. Playing music. Making music. Sewing. Writing. Photography. Reading. Watching TV. Watching movies. Shopping.

Posted May 1, 2009 @ 8:48 PM

If I recall correctly, that girl was employed by the drug dealer who sent the guy to Venezuela in the first place, as a ploy to make sure he goes through with it. That way, she could seduce the guy, go to the foreign country with him, make sure he will go through with the smuggling, but leave some days earlier or later than him, so if he does get caught with the drugs, she isn't with him and won't get arrested herself. Then she can do the same thing all over again, with a new guy. She gets paid for recruiting and whoring herself out to prospective smugglers, and convincing them to smuggle.

The guy in that episode was a totally idiotic loser, though.

Edited by Mindymoo, May 1, 2009 @ 8:50 PM.

Malibu65

Malibu65

Stalker

Posted May 4, 2009 @ 10:10 PM

If I was that dude I would've hunted that girl down. He never even bothered to track here down once he came back to America.

After spending so much time behind bars, I don't blame him for not wanting anymore trouble in his life. Why bother looking for the girl who was working for a drug smuggler? That may cost him his life.

Megafauna

Megafauna

Channel Surfer

Posted May 5, 2009 @ 2:09 AM

But MindyMoo WHAT is point of tricking the guy to do all that if he gets CAUGHT and they don't get the drugs??? If she tries to do she will be at the airport ALONE so there is no point in even bringing the guy there!!

Unless the guy comes back to America with the drugs and takes it where it's supposed to go the drug deals don't make a penny off him but actually lose money since they gave him money to put him up at that roach motel and for food too.

Mindymoo

Mindymoo

Fanatic

Posted May 5, 2009 @ 2:47 AM

Not every guy gets caught. The girl is a recruitment tool, and she is just there to find sad sacks to smuggle drugs. For every guy that gets caught, there are at least ten that don't. They are still moving a ton of product, and losing a few kilos of drugs here or there from the smuggler getting caught is simply the cost of doing business.

Edited by Mindymoo, May 5, 2009 @ 2:51 AM.

leftay23

leftay23

Just Tuned In

Posted May 7, 2009 @ 10:34 AM

Did anyone catch the last episode, with the four guys from LA who get incarcerated in Brazil? That guy was such an idiot"what, my dad bought the best defense attorney in Brazil, and I still need to serve prison time?" The Puerto Vallarta episode was interesting though, and the actors re-enacting the scenes cracked me up.

Malibu65

Malibu65

Stalker

Posted May 7, 2009 @ 11:07 AM

Ugh, that episode just made me roll my eyes, although I was brought to tears at the recreation of the son seeing his father. People sure don't think about their parents when they are doing their "deed" but boy do they run to mommy and daddy when the shit hits the fan for their stupidity. He should thank his lucky stars he only ended up getting 4 years instead of life imprisonment.

I swear, this show is meant only to serve two purposes:

Showing how stupid people are (those who decided to commit a crime)

and

Show what can happen to you if you decide to make quick money by wanting to smuggle drugs

I have no sympathy for people who decide to break the law. If people break the law here in the U.S. we want them to serve time. If a foreigner smuggles drugs here, they must serve the time that is put upon them by our courts. A lot of the people profiled in this series have broken some law in some country. They must abide by the courts decision in that country. I realize there is corruption and sometimes politics plays a part in what one person gets for a sentence and I feel for people who are innocent of any wrong-doing but for those who choose to violate laws should realize they are not entitled to any special treatment simply because they are a U.S. citizen. Don't do the crime you jerks and then cry about the sentence you receive.

I swear to God, not one of these people ever watched the movie Midnight Express or read the book. If they did, they learned nothing. Everyone thinks they can "get away with it".

Edited by Malibu65, May 7, 2009 @ 11:08 AM.

Megafauna

Megafauna

Channel Surfer

Posted May 8, 2009 @ 7:50 AM

Not every guy gets caught. The girl is a recruitment tool, and she is just there to find sad sacks to smuggle drugs. For every guy that gets caught, there are at least ten that don't. They are still moving a ton of product, and losing a few kilos of drugs here or there from the smuggler getting caught is simply the cost of doing business.

Mindymoo, I would think the ratio is the other way around because they x-ray your entire body plus luggage plus sniff you for drugs at the airport with dogs. It's a lot harder to smuggle drugs now. I'd say it's more like 10 get caught and only 1 makes it.

That's why it's easier just to smuggle through land over Mexico as opposed to messing with airport security.

Did anyone catch the last episode, with the four guys from LA who get incarcerated in Brazil? That guy was such an idiot"what, my dad bought the best defense attorney in Brazil, and I still need to serve prison time?" The Puerto Vallarta episode was interesting though, and the actors re-enacting the scenes cracked me up.

Yeah, I saw it and it was pretty good. The reason I though he may be able to be bought off is because in 3rd world countries you can buy your way out of jail but I guess his father didn't have enough money. This was not a murder case or anything.

Those 4 guys were total idots for thinking this would be so easy. Also they didn't say how much time his 3 friends got? They got 4 years 6 months too?

He married a Brazilian girl after he got out just like how the naive mule married a Venezuelan girl in the Venezuela case where the girl tricked him into going with her from Florida. What about the American women!! They are the hottest in the world!

That Venezuela episode is my favorite and this Locked Up Abroad is the best show on TV because it is REAL and very suspenseful!!

Belize

Belize

Channel Surfer

Posted May 9, 2009 @ 7:09 PM

I just discovered this show recently. WOW! It really keeps me on the edge of my seat the entire episode. This should be mandatory viewing for these knucklehead kids before they're allowed to travel out of the country. The episode where the guy sells pot in Mexico to a psycho tourist who shoots two cops was crazy.

Mindymoo

Mindymoo

Fanatic

Posted May 10, 2009 @ 2:06 AM

I meant back then. But still, there are a lot more people who get through than you would think. If 9 out of 10 got caught, drug dealers wouldn't be hiring as many people to smuggle by plane. They may as well just take the drugs and flush them down the toilet. These people are constantly finding new ways to conceal drugs, and the methods do work for awhile.

I could never do what these asses do, though. I would stick out like a sore thumb. I would think that if I were to fly down to, say, Peru, on my own, and fly back on my own, I would look suspicious. I would think that people would be looking at me like "Why is this pale blonde American woman doing traveling all the way down here on her own for?" You need to look inconspicuous, and I would fail.

Edited by Mindymoo, May 10, 2009 @ 2:08 AM.

Pepper Mostly

Pepper Mostly

Fanatic

Posted May 12, 2009 @ 12:33 PM

not one of these people ever watched the movie Midnight Express or read the book. If they did, they learned nothing. Everyone thinks they can "get away with it".

Anyone who does something wrong thinks he can get away with it, or he wouldn't do it. (Even if you steal a box of paper clips from the office or slip your friend a free drink. You wouldn't do it if you thought you'd get caught!) No one thinks he or she will be the one to get caught. And the people recruiting drug mules know it, which is why they play to people's greed, (easy money!) flatter them (you can pull it off!) and persuade them that its foolproof (all the guys at the airport are paid off!). For everyone who's read Midnight Express, there's at least a handful who think "heh, if that was me, I wouldn't have gotten caught". Not one of the idiots who agree to act as mules seems to realize that there are huge amounts of money at stake, and that their lives aren't worth ten cents to these people.

bitty41

bitty41

Channel Surfer

Posted May 13, 2009 @ 7:37 PM

I'm so glad to see this topic.

Anyways I believe most of the people busted for drug smuggling are just a "Patsy" for the real smugglers. If a drug dealer is a semi-big distributor they aren't going to use a non-experienced smuggler. They are probably counting on these people getting caught in the hopes that the real smuggler slips through customs and security. The dealers in turn probably just chalk it up to the cost of doing business. It may not be the case for all of these people but in some of these stories (at least to me) it seemed like they were just a insignificant player in a much bigger operation.

leftay23

leftay23

Just Tuned In

Posted May 17, 2009 @ 7:29 PM

The last episode, with the man who was incarcerated in Indonesia, was really crazy. At first I thought he was lying about being innocent, but regardless, as the show progressed, I was amazed at what bad luck he truly had. His poor eyeball!!

Mindymoo

Mindymoo

Fanatic

Posted May 17, 2009 @ 10:03 PM

I definitely think the man was innocent. I wondered a bit at the beginning, but he was certainly innocent in my eyes. If anyone had drugs, it was that friend of his. And to think that he could have been put to death for that, just to save face. The poor man, and his poor family.

I wonder if they will ever do an an episode on Schappelle Corby.