Life at Ponderosa: Feast or Famine?

• Please log in to reply

2135 replies to this topic

alanfm2

alanfm2

Video Archivist

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 10:09 AM

I never liked Kat, especially her picks to take on the reward last night. But, I need to give her credit for bouncing back and enjoying Ponderosa. Kat was particularly good on the field trip. Troy and Kat are right, there are several people still playing who do not deserve to be there. Looks like everyone is on to Kim.

RadarBlip

RadarBlip

Channel Surfer

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 10:28 AM

Have there always been this many crybabies on their way to Ponderosa but they haven't showed them bawling, or is this just a heavy crying group?

Has anyone else cried other than Kat & Leif?

Anyhow, in Kat's case, I think Kim either intentionally or otherwise, needlessly let Kat think the two of them developed a deeper emotional bond than anyone should ever think they're developing on Survivor. It might cost her a jury vote. Generally speaking, the way Kim is ousting people seems to be bringing out more hostility than I would have thought, but it really shouldn't be too surprising since most everyone she's voted out thought they were going to F3 with her at some point in time(save for Jonas & Leif).

At the same time however, I remember during Russell's first season most everyone at Ponderosa just seemed relieved to get away from the guy, and Natalie won in a landslide. So maybe it isn't the worst thing that 5 of the 7 people there feel betrayed by her, and maybe she can reconcile the hurt feelings at FTC? Obviously I have no idea how this jury is going to vote, guess it depends on who's sitting alongside Kim.

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 10:36 AM

Has anyone else cried other than Kat & Leif?

That's two more than I've ever seen cry like that in past seasons.

RadarBlip

RadarBlip

Channel Surfer

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 10:48 AM

That's two more than I've ever seen cry like that in past seasons.

Fair enough. I haven't seen all of them and would have been surprised to hear Mike and Jay were sobbing uncontrollably.

neplusultra

neplusultra

Couch Potato

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 7:18 PM

Do you mean the extra footage?

No, I just mean any of the Ponderosa episodes before Troy arrived.

Unconditional

Unconditional

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 11:08 PM

The first minute or two of Kat's first video is insufferable, especially her whining about having to go back to live after her "way of living." The fact that she said she found Kim and others to be like "mothers" was pretty telling. She's probably the most bitter person ever during the car ride.

Not that I've ever really disliked him, but I like the way Troy handled talking and consoling Kat. He said the right things for someone that had just exited the way she did, and for someone as young as she is. She did bounce back in the second clip and it's impressive how quickly she got over the devastation. It's interesting to me that the people at Ponderosa seem to unanimously back Sabrina and want her to win. I know part of that is that she has been likable, but I wonder how much of it is just them seeing her as the only legitimate alternative to Kim.

Kim deserves to win this game and she has played the best by far, but I can't help but think a Kim vs. Sabrina FTC would produce the best and most competitive conclusion to any season ever.

peachmangosteen

peachmangosteen

Stalker

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 10:46 AM

It's interesting to me that the people at Ponderosa seem to unanimously back Sabrina and want her to win.

Do we really get that sense? I'm genuinely asking because I only really remember Jonas and Leif mentioning that they really like Sabrina. And maybe even only Leif actually saying he hopes she wins. I don't think the others have actually talked her up, have they? Troy and Jay talk a lot about how Kim's running stuff and she's the reason they're here, but they haven't really talked about Sabrina as being someone they're rooting for yet. Or have they? I should rewatch the Pondersoa stuff.

Edited by peachmangosteen, May 4, 2012 @ 10:47 AM.

Unconditional

Unconditional

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 5, 2012 @ 5:12 AM

Do we really get that sense? I'm genuinely asking because I only really remember Jonas and Leif mentioning that they really like Sabrina

Lief said he would vote for her if she was in the FTC and Jonas said he's rooting for her. I think even Kat mentioned that she preferred her (especially given her comments about Tarzan, Christina, and Kim). Jay is extremely resentful of Tarzan and somewhat resentful of Kim as well so I have to believe that his choice is between Sabrina and Chelsea. Troy is EXTREMELY resentful of Kim.

The way they are all talking there is no way Christina or Tarzan get any votes. I think despite most of them being resentful towards Kim she will still get votes (and win) if she takes the right people. I think for most of them the preference is really between Sabrina and Chelsea, and Kim and (surprisingly) Alicia may get some votes, while Tarzan and Christina will receive none.

gullytwin

gullytwin

Channel Surfer

Posted May 5, 2012 @ 7:09 AM

This is interesting and I'm enjoying the speculation based on the jury's interactions. (Though I'm not going to bother to watch the Ponderosa videos myself.) What I can't imagine is why anyone would vote for Chelsea. Unless it's a lesser-of-two-evils kind of thing, where they don't want to reward the more active leader for having voted them out and choose instead an apparent follower who seems slightly less active in the decision-making. Is Chelsea liked? Will guys like Mike throw her a vote because she's hot? <Snark: the skinnier she gets and the more she talks, the less attractive she becomes.>

It's always hard to know what the Ponderosans know, or think they know, about the boots. Would Kat know, for instance, how many votes she got at last FTC? Might she assume that she got only four?

Unconditional

Unconditional

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 5, 2012 @ 5:41 PM

What I can't imagine is why anyone would vote for Chelsea. Unless it's a lesser-of-two-evils kind of thing, where they don't want to reward the more active leader for having voted them out and choose instead an apparent follower who seems slightly less active in the decision-making.

I think that's exactly what would make several people vote for her if they did. I think Jay and Mike might vote for Chelsea because they did like her and they made made an alliance with her, but ultimately hold Kim more responsible for that alliance breaking. I think if by some miracle Chelsea made the FTC with any combination of Alicia/Tarzan/Christina that she would win, as would Kim or Sabrina. I think she's "liked" enough by a majority of the people on the jury that if the ultra-popular Sabrina isn't there then theoretically I think she would have a shot. If some of these people continue down the road of bitterness then I think Chelsea could even steal some votes away from Kim in a head-to-head matchup but not enough to beat her.

Edited by Unconditional, May 5, 2012 @ 5:42 PM.

ProfCrash

ProfCrash

Stalker

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 10:42 AM

And it is possible that Chelsea is doing more than we are seeing. Many people were annoyed that Natalie beat Russel but it turned out that Natalie was doing a ton that we were not shown because the producers loved the troll so much. Most of the people on her cast said she actively shielded Russell and kept him in the game knowing that she would win against him. She was more involved in strategy than we saw. And that was not the first time we heard that. I am guessing that Chelsea is more active than we have seen and would not be surprised if she got votes at FTC. For some reason the producers have settled on Kim as the focal point of the story but there is no way Kim is doing this solo. She has to be relying on others to work with her and help her. Given that so many folks are upset with her, it does appear that she is seen as the lead person by the folks being voted out. To me, it looks like she made a ton of final three deals with folks and could pay for breaking those.

Sabrina appears to be playing a pretty clean game. She. Seems to be honest with folks and does not seem to be seen as flaunting power. Her name has been mentioned as someone who needs to go by a god number of folks which indicates that people are afraid of her in the end. So she has probably been doing more than we have seen.

Jay, Troy, Lief, and Jonas seem to be bitter that they were out foxed by a woman and are letting that influence their comments. Kathy is you g and feels betrayed. Wel, that might be because she is more naive and a bit dumb and has probably never been outside the in crowd a day in her life and resents that she went out this early. Hence her comments about Christina and Tarzan. She is clueless about strategy and game play. She just wants to hang with her friends and win a million dollars. Survivor is more a popularity contest than a game show.

Mike seems pretty chill. I think he has the best handle on all of this. I wonder if didn't want to go on the over night field trip so he could have a night of peace and quiet at camp. I loved that he was napping when Kat came I and made no effort to come over until after the dramatics were over.

Troy is totally going to use Kat to vote for who wants to win.

Thumper82003

Thumper82003

Couch Potato

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 11:08 AM

Regarding Mike: In the past, Survivors have mentioned GI problems (such as giardia) long after they returned to the States. Nausea/vomiting/diarrhea do not make for good TV. (uless it's Colton, that is) Is it possible his non participation/sleeping is because of something like this instead of feelings against others at Ponderosa? IF something like this was going on with him, he'd have to stay close to the Ponderosa.

LanceM

LanceM

Couch Potato

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 3:25 PM

And it is possible that Chelsea is doing more than we are seeing. Many people were annoyed that Natalie beat Russel but it turned out that Natalie was doing a ton that we were not shown because the producers loved the troll so much. Most of the people on her cast said she actively shielded Russell and kept him in the game knowing that she would win against him. She was more involved in strategy than we saw. And that was not the first time we heard that. I am guessing that Chelsea is more active than we have seen and would not be surprised if she got votes at FTC.

I agree. The thing is though out of all the players left she is seen the most talking strategy with Kim and deciding on who to vote out. So, I think we are already seeing her being very much involved in the decision making (much more so than Sabrina).

JstaPwn

JstaPwn

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 3:42 PM

Didn't they briefly touch on Mike being sick and that's why he didn't go on the field trip? He was just hanging out during the Kat drama and didn't look like he was feeling well. But I thought someone did mention it.

MeeMaw

MeeMaw

Fanatic

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 5:54 PM

Didn't they briefly touch on Mike being sick and that's why he didn't go on the field trip? He was just hanging out during the Kat drama and didn't look like he was feeling well. But I thought someone did mention it.

Yes - Kat mentioned Mike's being sick twice, once as they were leaving for the field trip and then again when they got back. She asked Mike if he was feeling better and he said yes.

janie jones

janie jones

Stalker

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 12:05 AM

Yeah, and Mike was saying something about antibiotics.

Would Kat know, for instance, how many votes she got at last FTC? Might she assume that she got only four?

I always assumed that the people who got voted off got to see the video of people voting. Otherwise, why are they directed to speak directly to the person they're voting for when they vote?

BDArizona

BDArizona

Fanatic

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 3:48 PM

But they're not "out of the game" though, they're still very much in the game and with an important part still to play: the FTC questions and the final vote. I'm all for jurors discussing with one another what to do and comparing notes. Yes it makes it harder, but it also adds another component to the game that's far from new considering we're in the 24th season.

Exactly FTC questions and the final vote. If this "talk amongst yourselves" thing is okay, why gag them at TC? Why not allow them to ask questions or comment there? They're supposed to be there to gather information for that vote, but they're not allowed to talk. Talking about the game at Ponderosa is allowing people who were too stupid or lazy to gather in-game info to gather it after their asses are bounced.

As for whether it's new or not, that's not really the issue I commented on and it doesn't influence my feelings at all. There are a lot of things that aren't new, but that I hate. I've never been someone who thought "that's how it has always been" is a good excuse for continuing a behavior. It's certainly not an excuse for allowing the behavior to begin in the first place. I remember when they used to let BB jurors go home and watch the rest of the season from home. They cut that shit out because it directly undercuts the game of the people who were smart/lucky/strategic enough to hang in. I think it was the right move. I also think this game would would be better if all game talk were banned in sequester. Hey, maybe B-Rob would have won All Stars, and I wouldn't have had to see his famewhore ass on 2 more Survivors and 2 seasons of TAR.

Edited by BDArizona, May 7, 2012 @ 3:48 PM.

Isuzu

Isuzu

Fanatic

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 4:24 PM

Exactly FTC questions and the final vote. If this "talk amongst yourselves" thing is okay, why gag them at TC? Why not allow them to ask questions or comment there? They're supposed to be there to gather information for that vote, but they're not allowed to talk. Talking about the game at Ponderosa is allowing people who were too stupid or lazy to gather in-game info to gather it after their asses are bounced.

Because then it would interefere with the people that are still on the island playing their part of the game? If the jurors had only the TC and their pre jury game to judge the winners, it wouldn't really work because they wouldn't have a complete picture of the players. No, it's true that they get a somewhat biased vision of the remaingin players, but they can help that with their own vision. Also, I disagree about the fact that all the jurors were lazy and/or stupid. Sometimes you're just in numbers inferiority or you're the victim of a random idol bounce or twist.

Te situation with BB was different since it allowed the jurors to see the confessionals which were carefully selected and edited and mostly supposed to be secret. As far as I know, the jury in BB functions now exactly as in Survivor.

Jobiska

Jobiska

Couch Potato

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 2:45 PM

Yes - Kat mentioned Mike's being sick twice, once as they were leaving for the field trip and then again when they got back. She asked Mike if he was feeling better and he said yes.

I think he also said something before the group left about staying back at camp and taking antibiotics?

In the previous video (Kat's arrival at Ponderosa), I also noted that while all the others were greeting her, Mike was lying face down on a couch or something in the background. It seems to be the unspoken etiquette for everyone (in a group that generally likes, or at least doesn't actively hate, each other, and/or who feel for each other, getting blindsided and all that) that the entire group greets the newcomer. I didn't think Mike, especially this far out of the game, would be one to hold a grudge against Kat of all people, so I took that, plus the second video, as an indication that he was really feeling awful if he couldn't even get up to say hi to Kat.

neplusultra

neplusultra

Couch Potato

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 4:46 PM

I also think this game would would be better if all game talk were banned in sequester.

On the one hand, I understand the appeal of this idea. But on the other, it is (and always has been) called a jury, after all; and juries deliberate (after watching a trial silently and without asking questions).

xr11576

xr11576

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 5:59 PM

From my perspective, whatever makes better reality tv should mold how the game is designed. And I think Ponderosa makes the show a lot more boring.

If it were up to me, there would be no FTC. People would play a hard game on the island, and when you get voted off, you immediately cast a vote for the winner and fly home without knowing what ever happened to you. I don't like the idea that someone being persuasive at FTC can nullify 39 days of poor game (IMO Sandra is a below average strategist, but the best FTC smooth talker ever with her "I'm keeping it real" schtick). Now that makes her a good player with the current rules, because FTC is half the game, but in my version of the game she'd never win.

Someone who can play a subtle game like Earl makes for one of the best Survivor players in the history of the show, but it also makes Fiji a pretty dull season.

I'd like to see as much cut throat backstabbing and deception as possible (that doesn't necessarily mean I need Russell bragging to the camera though about every move).

If there were no Ponderosa, I think there would be more flip flopping on your own tribe, less Pagonging, more volatility, less predictable results, etc. But you can't really do that in the modern Survivor, because you know everyone you betrayed will stew on it together and cost you the game (well unless you're Russell).

janie jones

janie jones

Stalker

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 8:31 PM

People would play a hard game on the island, and when you get voted off, you immediately cast a vote for the winner and fly home without knowing what ever happened to you.

Even if the person you vote for gets voted off later?

Melle

Melle

Fanatic

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 8:52 PM

They could go with a preferential ballot.

bankerchick

bankerchick

Fanatic

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 10:05 PM

On the topic of Mike being sick and not greeting Kat or going on the trip, I also noticed that he never seems to sit with anyone. When they eat, he's often at a table by himself, or maybe with one other person. It still appears that there's bad blood between him and Troyzan, but he doesn't seem to socialize with any of them very much. And since he seems like a dick, I'm not sure this is a bad thing.

Emandbaby

Emandbaby

Channel Surfer

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 11:35 PM

I wonder if Jonas gets paid for all the cooking he's doing.

LanceM

LanceM

Couch Potato

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 11:42 PM

It's official: Tarzan is nuts. Loved his disco boots with the spurs.

bunnyface

bunnyface

Video Archivist

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 11:53 PM

Those boots were crazy. I wondered why he didn't stand on them and force his heel into the boot that way. I've seen people do that before. I also wonder if he was able to get them off or if he had to have a team to do that also.

FrogsRule

FrogsRule

Fanatic

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 4:09 AM

Why on earth wouldn't Greg have *wanted* to take a shower before he went to bed that first night? To go to sleep on clean sheets, as filthy as he was? Yuck.

And yeah, the thing with the boots was ... silly.

Despite all the negative stuff Jonas has been saying about Greg, he treated him pretty nicely when he arrived. And Greg bringing Jay's shoes with him to Ponderosa was a nice touch.

Wouldn't chocolate pancakes that look more like cake than pancakes make you sick if eaten first thing in the morning?

Philipscomments

Philipscomments

Fanatic

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 9:34 AM

I read on a site that the people who manage to make it to the Ponderosa get paid something for being there. Not much, tho. Nobody prior to that gets a dime. It's not like the old days when everyone got some money, on a scale based on how long they lasted. So yeah, Jonas will get something for being there and cooking for everyone.

Someone else mentioned in another thread that they don't think Mike is really sick, he's just pissed off he's there at all. Him giving Tarzan the bird at TC was in indicator that it may be the case. Might explain him being off by himself all the time. Girls beat him and he's mad. LOL That's what he gets for listening to Colton.

peachmangosteen

peachmangosteen

Stalker

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 9:49 AM

I think Mike just isn't that into any of these people. And never really was. Except Kim. I don't think he's so much bitter about being voted off as just not that interested in pretending to be friends with people he never really enjoyed. So he's just being a loner. It doesn't really come off bitter or malicious to me. He just seems bored and over it.